• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

envogue

Rotten and Delicious
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Horror, Romance, Yaoi, Magical Girl, Supernatural, Victorian Goth, Steam Punk
Dark/Mystery/Drama/SoL Supernatural Town

Roseburn

OPEN SIGNUPS - Roseburn | OOC

On the surface, Roseburn is an old town where nothing out of the ordinary ever seems to happen, and if it does, you better not talk about it. That shadow outside your window wasn't really there, and those glowing, red eyes in the alley? Well, you must have been imagining things. For centuries, that is how the people of this town have lived, and for the most part it worked. Dig a little deeper, and you'll find the sweet girl next door is the definition of a monster, and that hot guy you've been eyeing in class probably wants to suck you dry. Take it how you want.

Our story begins shortly after a young girl's body is discovered in the woods. The result of some animal attack, or so they say. Detectives are left in a stump, and the residents of Roseburn are shaken by the discovery. Tensions rise, and people no longer want to turn a blind eye to the strange happenings that have long plagued their town. Some know of the secrets hidden in Roseburn and want to bring it to light, while others have lived in hiding for generations, keeping the peace and abiding by the laws set in place by man.

The roleplay

So, to start with, this roleplay will feature playable supernatural creatures who will make up the majority of the cast. There will be werewolves, witches, and vampires, who all coexisted peacefully, until one of their own was murdered. It turns out that the victim was a witch, and while the humans are mostly unaware of this fact, this basically destroys whatever bond the creatures thought they had. Long gone are the days where they watched each others backs.

The witches are looking at the werewolves and vampires as the suspects, and the vampires and werewolves are (possibly) trying to clear their name. I am also hoping to have around three human players whose lives get tangled up in the mystery and drama surrounding the victim and suspects. I do feel I should be clear. This roleplay isn't only going to focus on the murder. I want it to be something that looms over the community like a dark cloud while everyone tries to pick up and go on about their daily lives. There will be mystery, drama, action, and even romance, but rest assured, the murder will be solved. However, things won't end there.

What am I looking for?

Well, for starters, dedication. Dedication is very important to me. I have so much planned for this town and I am constantly adding to its history, but if you're not dedicated then we will only ever scratch the surface. I do feel like the image I want to be painted can only be achieved by folks that have a good grasp on writing, so I am seeking advanced writers. While I do value quality over quantity, you must be able to comfortably post at least two full sized paragraphs at a time.

I am also searching for one more Co-Gm to help drive the plot forward, plan, and bounce ideas back and forth. I'll only be choosing my third Co-Gm after I get the OOC up and all characters have been accepted, but you can show interest at any time. This roleplay will not be first come first serve, if you want to join submit a character when everything is done and I will decide if you're a good fit for Roseburn. I'm only planning to accept around ten main characters, but you are welcome and encouraged to create as many NPCs as you'd like.

Things to know!
  • Roseburn is going to be an old town with a population of around 15,000. Pretty much all of the architecture is gothic, and the people and technology are mostly modern. It's the sort of town where everyone knows everyone. The families that have settled there have deep roots, and rarely does anyone ever move. There is one of each type of school, including a university. Location is somewhere in Europe, I haven't decided yet. Ooops. :3
  • Werewolves can turn at will, and shifting often is almost a necessity for them. They are bipedal, and going long periods of time without shifting makes the process even more painful than it needs to be. The longer a wolf goes without changing, the more negatively their mood is impacted, eventually over time creating a very unstable and angry person. On the full moon, wolves are forced to shift whether they want to or not. They age very slowly, and non life threatening cuts and wounds heal within minutes.
  • Vampires do need blood to survive, specifically human blood, and animal blood just won't cut it. Though it can help control the hunger, human blood has the ability to restore a vampire to full strength if they drink enough, and offers euphoric, sometimes aphrodisiac effects. They have the ability to control the minds of weak willed humans, and command them to do things that may be out of character. Can not procreate. Stopped aging when they were turned. Possibly immortal.
  • Witches are humans with the ability to cast magic using spells, incantations, and runes. There are numerous schools of magic. Often times her magic is influenced by the element that chose her, but they can dabble in many different kinds. They age at a slower rate than non-magic humans. Witches always come from families of witches, though not all humans born to witches can use magic. Witch's must work for the rest of their lives to master their magic. Using magic can sometimes have negative effects on the witch, leaving them weakened, temporarily incapacitated, or dead. Most humans born with magic are women, but Warlocks do exist.
  • The main cast will be between the ages of 16-18, at least in appearance and they should all be attending school. The high school will be an important setting for our roleplay, but this is not a school roleplay. There will most likely be a map created of Roseburn and the different areas.
  • Vampires, Werewolves, Witches, are all natural enemies and the murder has put more strain on their already rocky relationships. It's up to you how your character processes this and handles their interactions with the others.
Rules
1. Obviously all Iwaku rules apply here.
2. I'm not going to tell you to do anything crazy, but GMs word is law. Please respect that, and your fellow roleplayers! I love drama, but it needs to stay IC.
3. To be apart of this roleplay and to continue participating, you must post at the very least once a week.
4. All posts need to be at at least two full sized paragraphs, with minimal typos. Nobody is perfect, obv. So I won't hound you about it, unless there are a lot of typos often.
5. No Mary Sues or Gary Stues. Be reasonable with your character creation, and be sensible when writing their strengths, abilities, and weaknesses.

This is still a WIP! Feel free to ask questions that I have yet to get to! Also, all face claims will be anime! Just thought I'd clear that up before anyone shows interest. :3 The OOC will be up when I feel the roleplay has garnered enough interest. There will be a separate thread for character sheet submission and approval.​

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Saber
I would like to proclaim my interest in this! I loooove witches!

• Thank You
Reactions: envogue
Interested...obviously

• Thank You
Proclaiming my interest!

• Thank You
*neck extends out of the peat my own gravestone was placed in, stretching inordinately high and probably doing a loop-the-loop*

Heard stuff was up.

What's up.

Also question. Are vampires, werewolves, and witches the only things that will be about, or are there more things too?

• Thank You
*neck extends out of the peat my own gravestone was placed in, stretching inordinately high and probably doing a loop-the-loop*

Heard stuff was up.

What's up.

Also question. Are vampires, werewolves, and witches the only things that will be about, or are there more things too?

Omfg. The witch that I haven't even created yet, has ressurected you from the dead.

Heard stuff was up.

What's up.

Yes. :3

Hey~hey^^!!

Interested! But what is expected post frequency?

Hey~hey^^!!

Interested! But what is expected post frequency?

Once every five or six days.

Update: Will be adding more today about rules and character creation. Not sure if the CS will be up today though, but hopefully. Also, looking for a male human to have been the boyfriend of the victim. :3

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Boo Girlie BoomBoom
Random's question compendium
Alrighty, this may well be a mildly dick move given the WIP state of things, but I have a couple of questions. If this helps develop lore, then I'll be doubly glad, but I'm mostly doing that thing that I do and ask an obnoxious amount of questions now, helpfully sorted into what they pertain to.
  • Is vampirism a disease? If so, does it spread via bites?
  • Does vampirism happen in stages (e.g. ghouls and thralls and stuff, working up to a full vampire) or are you just 100% a proper bitey boi from the get-go? If there are stages, how does one progress up said stages? Is it their own effort, or just time?
  • What happens if a witch or a werewolf gets turned into a vampire? Can that even happen?
  • How old have vampires been known to get? Is the oldest vampire still alive?
  • Do vampires have a common ancestor, or more accurately a common sire that progenited all vampires we know today in the same way that humans have a "mitochondrial Eve"?
  • How much do vampires vary in power? Do they ever have other abilities besides weak hypnosis?
  • Does the individual power of a vampire affect those they sire? For example, would the spawn of Edward Cullen necessarily be weaker than the spawn of a Dead Apostle Ancestor, to put it into different terms? (Yes I know neither of those things are in this just work with me here)
  • Do vampires have their own personal concept of social stratification? For instance, would one consider a vampire "royalty" or something if they had sired a lot of others? Are vampires even necessarily subservient to their sire?
  • How much blood does a vampire normally need? Can they go back to broadly human level if they only go for animal blood for too long?
  • Do vampires get "addicted" to blood?
  • Are they exclusively wolves, or only mostly?
  • Does the phase of the moon have any influence on the strength of their transformations?
  • Does the full moon still force transformations if the moonlight doesn't reach said werewolf?
  • What would happen if, hypothetically, a werewolf went to the moon?
  • What's the power difference between a werewolf and a human, both transformed and not?
  • Do werewolves work in packs? Do they have an alpha, or are we leaving discredited dog psychology by the wayside?
  • How old are werewolves known to get?
  • How much intelligence do transformed werewolves retain?
  • How good is it possible for a werewolf's regeneration to be?
  • What elements do we have? Just the classical, or a broader range? If it's just the classical four/five, are there specific denominations of each element?
  • How limited are witches by their element? For example, would alchemy to turn lead to gold be limited to earth-aligned witches, or would that be possible for anyone with the expertise?
  • How advanced can magic get? What level of technology is it possible to emulate with it?
  • How are witches seen by the general populace? Is magic used in everyday life or shunned?
  • What's the ratio of female to male witches?
  • Magic runs on mana, right?
  • Are familiars a thing?
  • Aside from the ability to use magic, are witches different to normal humans?
  • Is all magic deliberate, or are there some "passive effects" that can occur from it?
  • How big can magic get, both in power and scale? Likewise, how small can it get?
  • How slowly do witches age? How old can they get?
  • Do homunculi exist? If so, what are they like?
  • What about ghosts? How easy would it be to become one if they exist?
  • Any other fancy species significant enough to warrant mention?
  • How modern is "modern" when it comes to tech level? Would small talk about the latest iPhone model be acceptable?
  • Are tensions between humans and extrahumans common? How far do they usually escalate?
  • How old is Roseburn? Is the community tightly-knit, and are there any particular families with a lot of influence? What's the average age of people here?
  • Do extrahumans actively try to hide themselves, or are people turning a blind eye of their own accord?
  • What's the ratio of humans to extrahumans in Roseburn?
I may come up with more, but so far, these are just the things I'm curious about. Obviously it doesn't all need answering, but I'd appreciate anything you can come up with.

*rubs hands together*

Random's question compendium
Alrighty, this may well be a mildly dick move given the WIP state of things, but I have a couple of questions. If this helps develop lore, then I'll be doubly glad, but I'm mostly doing that thing that I do and ask an obnoxious amount of questions now, helpfully sorted into what they pertain to.
  • Is vampirism a disease? If so, does it spread via bites? (My plan was to go the vampire diaries route of creating new vampires, because I find it the most interesting. Basically if a human dies with vampire blood in their system, given their throat wasn't slit and their heart wasn't snatched from their body, they would have a chance to awaken as a vampire. Vampire blood also has some healing properties. Because of this, I'm hoping that the people that sign on as vampires will keep their blood to themselves and share it with others very sparingly. Other than that, it won't give any benefits or super powers to the human, unless they are transitioning to the vampire stage. The effects will only last for an hour or two, but the blood will stay in the system for a full day.)
  • Does vampirism happen in stages (e.g. ghouls and thralls and stuff, working up to a full vampire) or are you just 100% a proper bitey boi from the get-go? If there are stages, how does one progress up said stages? Is it their own effort, or just time? (Dying with the vampire blood in the system will trigger the beginning stages of transformations. So far, I imagine it as a lot of pain, instability, hallucinations, and a thirst for blood. Not all will survive. I'm thinking there's a 50% survival rate for the human.)
  • What happens if a witch or a werewolf gets turned into a vampire? Can that even happen? (Witches can since they're only mortals with magic, but I don't think that werewolves can, or should be turned into vampires.)
  • How old have vampires been known to get? Is the oldest vampire still alive? (In this roleplay, vampires and werewolves will have been a beginning of time sort of thing. I haven't decided on an origin story for them. Sorry! :<
  • Do vampires have a common ancestor, or more accurately a common sire that progenited all vampires we know today in the same way that humans have a "mitochondrial Eve"? (I want to say yes. The one who started it all is still somewhere in the world.)
  • How much do vampires vary in power? Do they ever have other abilities besides weak hypnosis? (They have the generic super strength, super speed, hypnosis(levels can vary based on age), a bite that is venomous to wolves, but in turn the wolves blood is poisonous to vampires, enhanced charm, and an aura of seduction. I considered giving them all special powers, but I feel that would get too hectic and wolves would be left severely under powered in comparison to witches and vampires.)
  • Does the individual power of a vampire affect those they sire? For example, would the spawn of Edward Cullen necessarily be weaker than the spawn of a Dead Apostle Ancestor, to put it into different terms? (Yes I know neither of those things are in this just work with me here) (Nani?)
  • Do vampires have their own personal concept of social stratification? For instance, would one consider a vampire "royalty" or something if they had sired a lot of others? Are vampires even necessarily subservient to their sire? Not necessarily royalty, but the older a vampire is the more respect and fear their name holds. But, keep in mind if your vampire is too old then the residents of Roseburn would be very suspicious, and the vampire would probably be forced to leave, or go into hiding. A fledgling vampire will naturally want to obey their sire, but they can attempt to break that bond. Doesn't mean it'll work.)
  • How much blood does a vampire normally need? Can they go back to broadly human level if they only go for animal blood for too long? (A vampire will need to feed every couple of days to maintain their sanity, but the longer they go without feeding the more they need when they do.)
  • Do vampires get "addicted" to blood? (Maybe to the effects that it gives. Witches blood in particular may be more satisfying because of the magical properties, and much harder to obtain.)
  • Are they exclusively wolves, or only mostly? They're exclusively wolves.
  • Does the phase of the moon have any influence on the strength of their transformations? Closer to the full moon, and I believe they would be stronger, but not necessarily weaker if they transform earlier or later in the month.)
  • Does the full moon still force transformations if the moonlight doesn't reach said werewolf? (They would still have to transform on the full moon.)
  • What would happen if, hypothetically, a werewolf went to the moon? (They would find that it wasn't made out of cheese.)
  • What's the power difference between a werewolf and a human, both transformed and not? (Werewolves in their human state are still very powerful, and are able to hold their own against a vampire, but not for long before needing to transform.)
  • Do werewolves work in packs? Do they have an alpha, or are we leaving discredited dog psychology by the wayside? (Werewolves do better in packs and are naturally inclined to clique up with other wolves, but in the end it is their choice. A pack of wolves will have an alpha and a beta.)
  • How old are werewolves known to get? (They can live centuries at a time.)
  • How much intelligence do transformed werewolves retain? (Much of that depends on how often the werewolf shifts, their own intelligence while human, and how long they've been a werewolf.)
  • How good is it possible for a werewolf's regeneration to be? ( Very good.)
  • What elements do we have? Just the classical, or a broader range? If it's just the classical four/five, are there specific denominations of each element? (There are the classic four or five, as well restoration types. I mentioned elements, but witches can dabble in different elements and abilities. But I will set some hard limits on the character sheet so no one gets ridiculous.)
  • How limited are witches by their element? For example, would alchemy to turn lead to gold be limited to earth-aligned witches, or would that be possible for anyone with the expertise? (The magic will be more traditional, so no alchemy, but if a witch has the expertise to do something she can always try. However, she will have a main element/affinity that makes doing other things more difficult.)
  • How advanced can magic get? What level of technology is it possible to emulate with it? (Magic can get pretty advanced, but not technology advanced.)
  • How are witches seen by the general populace? Is magic used in everyday life or shunned? (Magic is shunned and so are witches, vampires, and werewolves. Everyone in Roseburn lives as a regular human, at least when humans are watching.)
  • What's the ratio of female to male witches? Male witches will be so rare that most likely none of the female witches that join have ever met or seen one.)
  • Magic runs on mana, right? (Since blood will be a reoccurring theme in this roleplay, their magic will be in their blood. No, a vampire won't be able to develop magical powers by drinking it. Wait? Maybe? :p)
  • Are familiars a thing? (No, but anyone can have a pet!)
  • Aside from the ability to use magic, are witches different to normal humans? (They are far less susceptible to illness, but not immune. They are still vulnerable to injury and death. If it hurts a regular human then it will most likely hurt a witch.)
  • Is all magic deliberate, or are there some "passive effects" that can occur from it? (Some magic will have passive effects. Fire comes to mind.)
  • How big can magic get, both in power and scale? Likewise, how small can it get? (It can get really big if a powerful witch casts it, and it can get very small and precise.)
  • How slowly do witches age? How old can they get? (Witches can get pretty old, but they usually cap around 300. The older they get the slower they age. I don't think a witches slow aging really starts to show until she or he is around 50, and from then on they age at much slower rate than regular humans.)
  • Do homunculi exist? If so, what are they like? (Nope.)
  • What about ghosts? How easy would it be to become one if they exist? (No ghosts, but maybe there will be a creepy seance or two.)
  • Any other fancy species significant enough to warrant mention? (Not at the moment, unfortunately.)
  • How modern is "modern" when it comes to tech level? Would small talk about the latest iPhone model be acceptable? (The brand apple doesn't exist in this world, but there are cellphones and smart tvs.)
  • Are tensions between humans and extrahumans common? How far do they usually escalate? (For now, humans mingle with the other species without knowing it. There are some humans that know about them though, and they all have different opinions on them.)
  • How old is Roseburn? Is the community tightly-knit, and are there any particular families with a lot of influence? What's the average age of people here? (Roseburn is around five hundred years old. The community is tightly knit, now more than ever after the murder. Politicians and Religious figures hold the most influence in Roseburn, but some families will be known by name, human or not.)
  • Do extrahumans actively try to hide themselves, or are people turning a blind eye of their own accord? (Most actively try to blend in with humans, but the families that have been there the longest are more aware of it.)
  • What's the ratio of humans to extrahumans in Roseburn? (4:1)
I may come up with more, but so far, these are just the things I'm curious about. Obviously it doesn't all need answering, but I'd appreciate anything you can come up with.

Every question has been answered to the best of my ability. :3

You're a wizard. Uh, warlock. Witch? Witch. Magician. You're clever. Sorry I asked a lot. I think I vaguely have a character concept now.

To clear up that thing about Dead Apostles and Edward Cullen, I'll draw up a hypothetical scenario.

[spoili]
Say we have Alice and Bob. They are both vampires. Alice is a top-tier vampire who has lived for a very long time and is extremely powerful. Bob only just graduated from fledgling. Both of them go off and sire another vampire each, named Charlie and Dylan respectively. Would Charlie have some kind of advantage over Dylan because Alice is so strong, or would they be around equal?[/spoili]

You're a wizard. Uh, warlock. Witch? Witch. Magician. You're clever. Sorry I asked a lot. I think I vaguely have a character concept now.

To clear up that thing about Dead Apostles and Edward Cullen, I'll draw up a hypothetical scenario.

[spoili]
Say we have Alice and Bob. They are both vampires. Alice is a top-tier vampire who has lived for a very long time and is extremely powerful. Bob only just graduated from fledgling. Both of them go off and sire another vampire each, named Charlie and Dylan respectively. Would Charlie have some kind of advantage over Dylan because Alice is so strong, or would they be around equal?[/spoili]

Okay. I understand what you're asking now. And nope, there would be no advantage.

• Thank You
Reactions: Random
Maybe I'll use her questionnaire as my FAQ for the rp, @Random

I'd be fine with that. Go for it. I can add more to it if necessary >:D

Will be creating the OOC either tonight or tomorrow! :3

Well, I still have to wait for more folks to join :3

woop! I'm working on a character idea, but I'm not really sure if the fc I've fallen for will qualify < w>;;

As long as it's not a real life person we should be okay, but I'll let you know if there are any issues :)