Rise of the Runelords Side Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Right..."

Now to wait.

@Schnee Corp Lawyer
The thud of a cane against the marble floors of the foyer forewarned Argus that someone was coming long before the doors opened up. Ethram walked through, and despite the short four years that Argus had been gone, the man before him had drastically changed. He had never been a particularly physically imposing man, but now he looked brittle, and the cane had not been needed when the swashbuckler left.

Ethram slowly made his way to the chair opposite Argus and sat, and eyed the boy for a few moments as the butler followed in quietly behind and took position behind his master.

"...So." Ethram finally said with a small cough. "I see you've finally decided to come home."

@Ringmaster

-------------------------​
That's not something she would contest (even with her own issues with her family), but she would refrain from saying that out loud as she nodded. "Glad to hear. It's just that... it's not entirely the reason I came here."

She contemplated whether to continue... pushed that aside as she spoke in a more assertive force. "There's nothing more that I would like than to give you your space, but things are more dire than we thought. We found his diary in the glassworks. Turns out he has an accomplish, and if what he has written is true, they may have a lot more than just a bunch of goblins on their side. We have people interrogating him, but there's no guarantee they can get information out of him. So if there's anything that you remembered that may help us find where the goblins are meeting, then we would greatly appreciate it."
"..."

Ameiko sighed and shook her head. "...no. Not really. If you've found his journal, you probably know better what was going through his head than I was." She said as she put aside the spoon she was using to mix and rested her hands on the counter. "All I know is that I showed up to see that... my father like that, and Tsuto telling me that the town was going to be destroyed. And that I could join him and his 'love' or... well there wasn't actually an or. As far as he was concerned, I was going with him. Thats all I know. Happy?" She said with a glance over at Destinie.
"Can ya blame me? You didn't even wash your hands first," The gunslinger drawled about the cooking in quippy fashion, kicking a foot out to prop her boot up against the floor by the heel and bending over slightly to examine the tip of the shoe idly. She didn't seem pushed to argue her point, though, instead putting a hand on her jacket and seeming to mull something over. Her mouth opened a moment later to say something else, but when Destinie spoke up again her gaze instead tilted towards her as brown eyes gave her a long sideways glance.

"Oh. Well. That actually was the entire reason I came here. Just so you know..."

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @Patrickthekid
"Don't worry, I took like two baths before I came down here" She drawled as she snatched the spoon back up and went back to work

@Patrickthekid @OrlandoBloomers

-------------------------------------------------
"Mister Tsuto, your idea of a sarcastic comment does not amuse me," Mathias replied with a slight frown as he glanced up at the man. His writing utensil slipped back into his pocket to be replaced with a magical glow around the tiefling's hand, one that seemed almost like fire as it blazed, "I wish to know their names and races, if at all possible, I wish to know more about your life, Tsuto, and I wish to know by any means necessary."

@york @Schnee Corp Lawyer

(Going to roll Intimidate here in a second.)​
"Hail Hydra"

Tsuto's smile faded and his eyes widened, but after a few moments he looked up and... spat as close to Mathias as he could from that distance. He sneered as he glared right back at Mathias and said "Fine, You want to know? My mother decided 'father' didn't know how to use his sword, and found a nice elf who did. Father didn't take kindly to that when I was born with pointed ears and shipped me off to a monastery. Congratulations, you know my life story. Now what?"

@The Myrmidon @york

The thud of a cane against the marble floors of the foyer forewarned Argus that someone was coming long before the doors opened up. Ethram walked through, and despite the short four years that Argus had been gone, the man before him had drastically changed. He had never been a particularly physically imposing man, but now he looked brittle, and the cane had not been needed when the swashbuckler left.

Ethram slowly made his way to the chair opposite Argus and sat, and eyed the boy for a few moments as the butler followed in quietly behind and took position behind his master.

"...So." Ethram finally said with a small cough. "I see you've finally decided to come home."

@Ringmaster
There had always been something larger-than-life about his grandfather he remembered. An imposing sense of power that had made him nervous prior growing up, a keen sense to not disappoint. Seeing the cane and realizing he was taller now had him realize just how old, his grandfather truly was.

What really surprised him was how much it was effecting him, and how ill at ease he felt seeing him thus.

What did he see, seeing him? Looking as he did, like a Varisian wanderer? He self-conscious suddenly and taking a straight posture instilled by etiquette lessons returning, he bowed his head.

"Grandfather. Forgive me for not coming directly. I was otherwise engaged with a town emergency, though I came as soon as I could. Also..."

His voice trailed off before he finally spoke.

"...I wasn't entirely sure I was welcome here. I never received a letter back in all the time I had been wandering."

@Schnee Corp Lawyer

@Ringmaster

-------------------------​

"..."

Ameiko sighed and shook her head. "...no. Not really. If you've found his journal, you probably know better what was going through his head than I was." She said as she put aside the spoon she was using to mix and rested her hands on the counter. "All I know is that I showed up to see that... my father like that, and Tsuto telling me that the town was going to be destroyed. And that I could join him and his 'love' or... well there wasn't actually an or. As far as he was concerned, I was going with him. Thats all I know. Happy?" She said with a glance over at Destinie.

"Don't worry, I took like two baths before I came down here" She drawled as she snatched the spoon back up and went back to work

-------------------------------------------------

"Hail Hydra"

Tsuto's smile faded and his eyes widened, but after a few moments he looked up and... spat as close to Mathias as he could from that distance. He sneered as he glared right back at Mathias and said "Fine, You want to know? My mother decided 'father' didn't know how to use his sword, and found a nice elf who did. Father didn't take kindly to that when I was born with pointed ears and shipped me off to a monastery. Congratulations, you know my life story. Now what?"

@The Myrmidon @york
"Ah, good, we're talking again! Much better than the alternative!"

Mathias didn't even seem to react to the spit, only allowing his magic to die away as he continued to smile. Writing down the information given, the tiefling hummed thoughtfully before nodding, "So you were alone at the monastery besides the clergy and monks there? No family visitation besides perhaps your mother... and clearly, your sister given your affection for her."

"Yet knowing how fathers tend to like to ignore marks such as us," There was a tiny twitch in his expression when he spoke those words, the smile growing a little dimmer, "You didn't seem them often out of his spite, so you looked elsewhere for attention and approval... Elsewhere being the arms of the lover in your diary. Must be quite the woman to put you up to this sort of business."

"..."

"Yeah. My nose noticed." The skinwalker noted, flipping her coat and putting a hand on her belt as she directed her gaze out the nearest window. Putting casual chatter aside for now, she decided to focus on the more pertinent talk, letting her fanged canines chew lightly on the end of a cigar as she used a striker to light it. She spoke in more of a formal voice, oddly, forgoing much of her usual colloquialism.

"You were in bad shape. Don't know how he can claim he had your safety from whatever he planned for the town at heart when he did that to you. His actions don't quite match his words."

@Patrickthekid @Schnee Corp Lawyer

"Speaking from experience, even the worst family members will believe whatever they do is for the best for you... no matter how twisted it can me. Not that it justifies their actions." She huffed. The subject was clearly a bit of a sore spot for her. Just one of many coincidences she feels all too familiar to her. Yet she eventually relaxed her shoulders, crossing her legs as she spoke once more.

"At least you're the heir now. No one can tell you how to use your inheritance but yourself. Turn it into something you can be proud of."

"Hail Hydra"
@The Myrmidon @york

Mathias didn't even seem to react to the spit, only allowing his magic to die away as he continued to smile. Writing down the information given, the tiefling hummed thoughtfully before nodding, "So you were alone at the monastery besides the clergy and monks there? No family visitation besides perhaps your mother... and clearly, your sister given your affection for her."

"Yet knowing how fathers tend to like to ignore marks such as us," There was a tiny twitch in his expression when he spoke those words, the smile growing a little dimmer, "You didn't seem them often out of his spite, so you looked elsewhere for attention and approval... Elsewhere being the arms of the lover in your diary. Must be quite the woman to put you up to this sort of business."
Isabella
@The Myrmidon @Schnee Corp Lawyer

Isabella's expression grew quite sad... Perhaps with the realization of how lucky she had been; despite the... Circumstances of her birth, she was taken into the Valdemar family, raised as one of their own, helped along by her almost human appearance, something that others did not have the luxury of.

Tsuto definitely got the harsher end of the treatment, that's for sure... Much like Mathias.

Except, Tsuto must have been approached by that Succubus sometime in that Monestary, and perhaps his grudge against most of Sandpoint did not help this any. Which meant that he was especially vulnerable to his lover's... Tricks.

Whoever his lover was, it was apparent that she sought to ascend to some... Greater form, and she had already appeared to have gotten halfway theere, at the cost of some of her looks, perhaps, if Tsuto's journal were to be trusted.

It was tempting to question Tsuto herself, so she may piece together more to this story... But, she figured it was better to let Mathias take the reins in that department; though she had gotten lucky with a goblin on her first night back in Sandpoint... She wasn't so sure that Tsuto would be as easy to intimidate, or sway for that matter.​

Last edited:
There had always been something larger-than-life about his grandfather he remembered. An imposing sense of power that had made him nervous prior growing up, a keen sense to not disappoint. Seeing the cane and realizing he was taller now had him realize just how old, his grandfather truly was.

What really surprised him was how much it was effecting him, and how ill at ease he felt seeing him thus.

What did he see, seeing him? Looking as he did, like a Varisian wanderer? He self-conscious suddenly and taking a straight posture instilled by etiquette lessons returning, he bowed his head.

"Grandfather. Forgive me for not coming directly. I was otherwise engaged with a town emergency, though I came as soon as I could. Also..."

His voice trailed off before he finally spoke.

"...I wasn't entirely sure I was welcome here. I never received a letter back in all the time I had been wandering."

@Schnee Corp Lawyer
Ethram arched an eyebrow as he leaned back into her chair, the expression marred by a wince. he closed his eyes and relaxed into the upholstrey as he said. "It is not exactly an easy endeavor to send mail to someone who doesn't have a home. So. And yes yes, I heard about you playing hero to the tavern Kaijutsu. What did happen there?" He asked, his eyes cracking open in seeming genuine interest.
"Yeah. My nose noticed." The skinwalker noted, flipping her coat and putting a hand on her belt as she directed her gaze out the nearest window. Putting casual chatter aside for now, she decided to focus on the more pertinent talk, letting her fanged canines chew lightly on the end of a cigar as she used a striker to light it. She spoke in more of a formal voice, oddly, forgoing much of her usual colloquialism.

"You were in bad shape. Don't know how he can claim he had your safety from whatever he planned for the town at heart when he did that to you. His actions don't quite match his words."

@Patrickthekid @Schnee Corp Lawyer
"..." Ameiko sighed and stopped what she was doing to lean back on the middle island with her eyes closed. "...Tust me I know. But I think in whatever... twisted mindset he's ended up in, he really did think he was doing it for my own good. I..." She sighed and shook her head.
"Speaking from experience, even the worst family members will believe whatever they do is for the best for you... no matter how twisted it can me. Not that it justifies their actions." She huffed. The subject was clearly a bit of a sore spot for her. Just one of many coincidences she feels all too familiar to her. Yet she eventually relaxed her shoulders, crossing her legs as she spoke once more.

"At least you're the heir now. No one can tell you how to use your inheritance but yourself. Turn it into something you can be proud of."
"..." She snorted. "Ok, as far as condolences go, 'your family suddenly dying or turning evil but hey at least you get the money' Isn't exactly the best" She replied, though at least with the faintest hint of a smirk before she went back to what she was doing. "Now shoo. Both of you. This is my therapy for me."

Isabella
@The Myrmidon @Schee Corp Lawyer

Isabella's expression grew quite sad... Perhaps with the realization of how lucky she had been; despite the... Circumstances of her birth, she was taken into the Valdemar family, raised as one of their own, helped along by her almost human appearance, something that others did not have the luxury of.

Tsuto definitely got the harsher end of the treatment, that's for sure... Much like Mathias.

Except, Tsuto must have been approached by that Succubus sometime in that Monestary, and perhaps his grudge against most of Sandpoint did not help this any. Which meant that he was especially vulnerable to his lover's... Tricks.

Whoever his lover was, it was apparent that she sought to ascend to some... Greater form, and she had already appeared to have gotten halfway theere, at the cost of some of her looks, perhaps, if Tsuto's journal were to be trusted.

It was tempting to question Tsuto herself, so she may piece together more to this story... But, she figured it was better to let Mathias take the reins in that department; though she had gotten lucky with a goblin on her first night back in Sandpoint... She wasn't so sure that Tsuto would be as easy to intimidate, or sway for that matter.​
"...Heheheh." He drooped back into the chains, a wild smirk on his face as he slowly shook his head. "Oh, she is quite a woman. And after all you've done to her, all that has been done to me.... oh, we're going to enjoy watching this town BURN! HAAAHAAHAAHAAHAHAHA!"

His laughter split through the cell, with a guard bursting through the door in concern as he looked between the Inquisitor and the prisoner in confused worry.

"S'everything alright, sir?" He eventually asked Mathias.

Ethram arched an eyebrow as he leaned back into her chair, the expression marred by a wince. he closed his eyes and relaxed into the upholstrey as he said. "It is not exactly an easy endeavor to send mail to someone who doesn't have a home. So. And yes yes, I heard about you playing hero to the tavern Kaijutsu. What did happen there?" He asked, his eyes cracking open in seeming genuine interest.
"Even a sending would have been nice."

Regardless, he sighed and if another chair was present, he moved over to sit down across from his grandfather as he spoke grimly.

"Some trouble. I'll share what I can, though. Grandfather first of all though, do any of these names sound familiar to you? Tsuto Kaijutsu, Tobyn- At the glassworks, we found it crawling with goblins smuggled in under everyone's apparent noses, the Kaijutsu Patriarch dead and Tsuto apparently responsible. We also found some information centered around the first raid folks had told me about. They said something about how it all went to plan, and the casket was broken into. But I've never heard that name before."

He stared his grandfather in the eye, wanting to know.

"Have you?"

@Schnee Corp Lawyer

"..." Ameiko sighed and stopped what she was doing to lean back on the middle island with her eyes closed. "...Tust me I know. But I think in whatever... twisted mindset he's ended up in, he really did think he was doing it for my own good. I..." She sighed and shook her head.

"..." She snorted. "Ok, as far as condolences go, 'your family suddenly dying or turning evil but hey at least you get the money' Isn't exactly the best" She replied, though at least with the faintest hint of a smirk before she went back to what she was doing. "Now shoo. Both of you. This is my therapy for me."

"I must say... there's not much to say to spin this as a positive," she winced. Nevertheless, the talk seemed to have worked with her reaction. And she would waste little time walking out the kitchen, though she turned around to say one more thing.

"Hope you enjoyed me embarrassing myself." With a small smirk she went through the door.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.