2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Transgender
  5. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern, scifi, fantasy, le romance, really anything so long as the characters within are interesting

The sea air was heavy in the sun drenched air as the duo pushed open the door to The Hagfish and immediately had their nostrils filled with smell of fish both raw and coooked, heavy mead, and brackish water. The low cieling had unlit lanterns dangling hapzardly throughout the restaurant, with tables and chairs of basic carpentry even more scattered throughout the building all the way up to the bar itself. In the middle of it all was a fish tank of slightly green and brown water, and at the sound of a door openeing a sickeningly slick creature slithered out and flopped against the glass as if staring the two down. Next to it, a pouch that sagged with coins was nailed into the wall

attachment.php

a few sailors sat at the bar sipping a brew and chatting, and one of the tables had a trio of men in hoods discussing business under their breath. But all that was aside from the man who came hobbling out of the kitchen with the thump of wood on wood to step behind the bar as he head the door open, and when he saw who it was who'd come in his face lit up with a wicked grin. "Aaaahh, the two a' the 'eroes a' Sandpoint gracin me 'umble eatery. What 'cn I do for ya?"

@OrlandoBloomers @Ringmaster

---------------------------------------------------

It was an odd pair walking through the streets back to the tavern after the group had separated. There was little hiding Mathias' heritage now that he was one of the 'Heroes of Sandpoint', and whispers and hesitant glances were normal as people gave he and his horns a small berth as they moved down the streets.

Destinie had the opposite 'problem' if you could even call it that. A beautiful maiden who blessed and healed in the midst of violence, a new face of kindness to go along with the steadfast father Zantus when people needed something from the gods. The stares she got were admiring or even flirtatious as men winked and a few even looked like they were going to approach before a glance at horns and red skin nearby seemingly gave them pause. But eventually, someone did make those final steps. Just... not to Destinie.

The woman didn't walk so much as sashay down the street, and from the moment she rounded the corner and her eyes lit up she made little mystery as to who she was zeroed in on. She stopped a hair's breath from Mathias and gave him an ever so unsubtle look over before she grasped one of his hands in hers and gave a breathless frown. "Oh thank Saranrae I found you, hero. Its terrible, absolutely terrible!"

@the tactician @pat

-------------------------------

The Valdemar manor was a stately affair. Its four stories were brick and mortor as opposed to the wood that made up most of the town, and its vaulted windows had an overlook of the whole harbor that the family shipping business owned most of. The path to the door wound through a small garden, and the knocker noticeably echoed on the other side as Isabelle sounded it.

It was almost a minute later when the door opened and a stuffy older man in a servant's uniform eyed the girl in front of him and sniffed "May I help you, miss?"

@york

The sea air was heavy in the sun drenched air as the duo pushed open the door to The Hagfish and immediately had their nostrils filled with smell of fish both raw and coooked, heavy mead, and brackish water. The low cieling had unlit lanterns dangling hapzardly throughout the restaurant, with tables and chairs of basic carpentry even more scattered throughout the building all the way up to the bar itself. In the middle of it all was a fish tank of slightly green and brown water, and at the sound of a door openeing a sickeningly slick creature slithered out and flopped against the glass as if staring the two down. Next to it, a pouch that sagged with coins was nailed into the wall

attachment.php

a few sailors sat at the bar sipping a brew and chatting, and one of the tables had a trio of men in hoods discussing business under their breath. But all that was aside from the man who came hobbling out of the kitchen with the thump of wood on wood to step behind the bar as he head the door open, and when he saw who it was who'd come in his face lit up with a wicked grin. "Aaaahh, the two a' the 'eroes a' Sandpoint gracin me 'umble eatery. What 'cn I do for ya?"

"Nothing so fancy as tha' name gives me."

Rackham had been tense along the walk, up to the point he entered the bar. Immediately, his mood changed and a small smirk even graced his lips briefly, from what could be seen from the hooded face. He immediately approached the bar and chuckled, placing the hooked hand on the bar with a thud as he spoke.

"Two years before the mast meself, from Riddleport waters through Andoran. How long has it been for ye?"

God, it felt good to be in a sailors bar. He also slid two gold coins as he added.

"Two grogs an' add fire to match Old Scratch himself."

@OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer

attachment.php

It was an odd pair walking through the streets back to the tavern after the group had separated. There was little hiding Mathias' heritage now that he was one of the 'Heroes of Sandpoint', and whispers and hesitant glances were normal as people gave he and his horns a small berth as they moved down the streets.

Destinie had the opposite 'problem' if you could even call it that. A beautiful maiden who blessed and healed in the midst of violence, a new face of kindness to go along with the steadfast father Zantus when people needed something from the gods. The stares she got were admiring or even flirtatious as men winked and a few even looked like they were going to approach before a glance at horns and red skin nearby seemingly gave them pause. But eventually, someone did make those final steps. Just... not to Destinie.

The woman didn't walk so much as sashay down the street, and from the moment she rounded the corner and her eyes lit up she made little mystery as to who she was zeroed in on. She stopped a hair's breath from Mathias and gave him an ever so unsubtle look over before she grasped one of his hands in hers and gave a breathless frown. "Oh thank Saranrae I found you, hero. Its terrible, absolutely terrible!"

@the tactician @pat

The Valdemar manor was a stately affair. Its four stories were brick and mortor as opposed to the wood that made up most of the town, and its vaulted windows had an overlook of the whole harbor that the family shipping business owned most of. The path to the door wound through a small garden, and the knocker noticeably echoed on the other side as Isabelle sounded it.

It was almost a minute later when the door opened and a stuffy older man in a servant's uniform eyed the girl in front of him and sniffed "May I help you, miss?"

@york
Mathias almost seemed to deflate under the glances and glares, awkwardly shuffling and petting his fluffy scarf as a means to comfort himself. He should have brought his cloak with him, to hide under its hood and not gather all these hateful stares. Usually, he was content to wear the cloak wherever he went, knowing that most did not desire to see a creature such as he wandering about the streets. However, his hopes had been placed on perhaps his status as a local servant of the Goddess who wished to help would have alleviated the disgust the common folks had.

It seemed the young man had been wrong, not that he could blame them at all. He only wished the oracle, the Miss Destinie who had become a possible friend of his, did not have to suffer because of his presence. He noted the ways some thought of approaching her, only to be scared off by his presence, not wishing to be seen with a demon of some kind.

"Miss Destinie, I think it might be best if we separate for the time being..." The inquisitor finally sighed as his eyes fell in despair, taking in the earthen street as they walked rather than meet anyone's gaze and scare them off anymore, "It appears these folks wish to speak with you, only I'm getting in the w- Huh?"

He hadn't even noticed the young woman's approach, his eyes too focused on the dirt ahead to sense her coming except for her feet. Before he could even look up at her, the hand on his scarf had been taken from the soft fabric, and he was stuck gaping like a fish at the young woman who had approached him. Someone was actually looking for help from him and the others? "O-Oh, um, w-what seems to be the trouble, miss? Is it more goblins?" He wasn't exactly sure what else to say to the young woman (who was rather lovely now that he thought about it) as he tried to understand what was happening, not wanting to sound too panicky.

@Schnee Corp Lawyer

attachment.php

Rackham had been tense along the walk, up to the point he entered the bar. Immediately, his mood changed and a small smirk even graced his lips briefly, from what could be seen from the hooded face. He immediately approached the bar and chuckled, placing the hooked hand on the bar with a thud as he spoke.

"Two years before the mast meself, from Riddleport waters through Andoran. How long has it been for ye?"

God, it felt good to be in a sailors bar. He also slid two gold coins as he added.

The figure cut by she who stepped in after Rackham wasn't half as grandiose as the seafarer's among his people. Dark eyes, dark hair and dark skin fell under the brim of a low-tipped hat that stayed on despite the foray indoors, keener than some hawks and with a sharp and intense glance vollied sideways at the tank creature as it emerged from its recesses to regard them. When Rackham approached the counter was when Sabine stepped up at his side, not paying the barkeep much thought as she dropped an elbow on the bar to lean on it, slanted her posture and kept her eyes roving across the room. She nevertheless did tip her hat, and commented on his greeting if not returning it outright.

"Walked across a bridge, shot some things. Now I'm a hero. This town is strange."

Detaching from her survey of the room momentarily, she leaned into Rackham's space with both eyes trained on him intently.

"Your play."

Then, she went back to observing, apparently content to act on standby while the pirate made it.

@Ringmaster @Schnee Corp Lawyer

attachment.php

@the tactician @pat

@york

If only he knew. You see, Destinie had hoped that moving into Sandspoint would allow her a clean slate. Instead, she had to deal with the same old flirtatious nature of the folks in town. She was savvy enough to brush the affections aside with a smile and a compliment, but she can only deal with so much. It was almost comforting that she had someone that could shield her from the looks. In fact, her new friends may well be one of the first who treated her more than just a pretty face.

Which made it all the more confusing when Mathias ask if he could leave. "Not at all. I've dealt with worse company, believe it or not.'' She reassured him. "Father Zantus is pretty tolerant all things considered. That and you fit pretty well as a bodyg..."

She couldn't even finish that word before she was taken aback by the strange woman who walked right into his face. Or maybe I had him pegged wrong, she thought before speaking in a calm voice. "If you can calm down, we may be able to help you."

• Love
Reactions: Ringmaster

"Oh, I've a few years off'n on durin me younger days, but thats' all behind me now, the hagfish been me pride n' joy for goin on ten years now, with ol' Norah with me every step a' the way. Well, slither fer her" he said with a snort as he leaned to glance around Rackham towards the fishtank to give 'Norah' a dainty wave where she was now back to hiding in her tank. He scratched his chin but nodded at the request, and after a mutter of " a moment if y'would" he ducked under the bar and rummaged for a few seconds before he cackled and pulled a bottle out from under. "Don't carry too much grog, that's more Vinder's deal, don' tell 'im I told ya this but he's got a few bottles straight from the orcish cap'tals that'll put 'air on the chest of a newborn lass or jus' kill a full grown man! This'll just knock ye' out for a few days" he said with a cackle as he poured the two glasses.
The figure cut by she who stepped in after Rackham wasn't half as grandiose as the seafarer's among his people. Dark eyes, dark hair and dark skin fell under the brim of a low-tipped hat that stayed on despite the foray indoors, keener than some hawks and with a sharp and intense glance vollied sideways at the tank creature as it emerged from its recesses to regard them. When Rackham approached the counter was when Sabine stepped up at his side, not paying the barkeep much thought as she dropped an elbow on the bar to lean on it, slanted her posture and kept her eyes roving across the room. She nevertheless did tip her hat, and commented on his greeting if not returning it outright.

"Walked across a bridge, shot some things. Now I'm a hero. This town is strange."

Detaching from her survey of the room momentarily, she leaned into Rackham's space with both eyes trained on him intently.

"Your play."

Then, she went back to observing, apparently content to act on standby while the pirate made it.

"and aye lass, been a strange town since its foundin days, and 'specially since the times' o' bad fortune. Thought that mess behind us now, but with these blasted goblins..." He huffed and shook his head. "Right mess it is. Lucky for us some right competent folk were visitin at least!" his jovial tone rebounded as he leaned across the bar. "Name's Jargie Quinn, by the by. S'what brings a 'sailor' an' a... a... mage?" the man said as he glanced down to the pistols at Sabine's side "-to Sandpoint then?"

--------------------------------​
If only he knew. You see, Destinie had hoped that moving into Sandspoint would allow her a clean slate. Instead, she had to deal with the same old flirtatious nature of the folks in town. She was savvy enough to brush the affections aside with a smile and a compliment, but she can only deal with so much. It was almost comforting that she had someone that could shield her from the looks. In fact, her new friends may well be one of the first who treated her more than just a pretty face.

Which made it all the more confusing when Mathias ask if he could leave. "Not at all. I've dealt with worse company, believe it or not.'' She reassured him. "Father Zantus is pretty tolerant all things considered. That and you fit pretty well as a bodyg..."

She couldn't even finish that word before she was taken aback by the strange woman who walked right into his face. Or maybe I had him pegged wrong, she thought before speaking in a calm voice. "If you can calm down, we may be able to help you."
Mathias almost seemed to deflate under the glances and glares, awkwardly shuffling and petting his fluffy scarf as a means to comfort himself. He should have brought his cloak with him, to hide under its hood and not gather all these hateful stares. Usually, he was content to wear the cloak wherever he went, knowing that most did not desire to see a creature such as he wandering about the streets. However, his hopes had been placed on perhaps his status as a local servant of the Goddess who wished to help would have alleviated the disgust the common folks had.

It seemed the young man had been wrong, not that he could blame them at all. He only wished the oracle, the Miss Destinie who had become a possible friend of his, did not have to suffer because of his presence. He noted the ways some thought of approaching her, only to be scared off by his presence, not wishing to be seen with a demon of some kind.

"Miss Destinie, I think it might be best if we separate for the time being..." The inquisitor finally sighed as his eyes fell in despair, taking in the earthen street as they walked rather than meet anyone's gaze and scare them off anymore, "It appears these folks wish to speak with you, only I'm getting in the w- Huh?"

He hadn't even noticed the young woman's approach, his eyes too focused on the dirt ahead to sense her coming except for her feet. Before he could even look up at her, the hand on his scarf had been taken from the soft fabric, and he was stuck gaping like a fish at the young woman who had approached him. Someone was actually looking for help from him and the others? "O-Oh, um, w-what seems to be the trouble, miss? Is it more goblins?" He wasn't exactly sure what else to say to the young woman (who was rather lovely now that he thought about it) as he tried to understand what was happening, not wanting to sound too panicky.

@Schnee Corp Lawyer
"Oh, no, nothing quite that dangerous, but the goblins got into our shop and wrecked part of the wall, and now some terribly large rats have gotten in!" she said with a woeful shake of her head. "But surely such a strong and brave hero such as yourself could handle that for us? I'd be certain to make sure you were properly..." One hand released its grip to gently flick the tassles of Mathias' scarf before she glanced up with coy smile "...rewarded, for you troubles of course."

"Your play."

"Oh, I've a few years off'n on durin me younger days, but thats' all behind me now, the hagfish been me pride n' joy for goin on ten years now, with ol' Norah with me every step a' the way. Well, slither fer her" he said with a snort as he leaned to glance around Rackham towards the fishtank to give 'Norah' a dainty wave where she was now back to hiding in her tank. He scratched his chin but nodded at the request, and after a mutter of " a moment if y'would" he ducked under the bar and rummaged for a few seconds before he cackled and pulled a bottle out from under. "Don't carry too much grog, that's more Vinder's deal, don' tell 'im I told ya this but he's got a few bottles straight from the orcish cap'tals that'll put 'air on the chest of a newborn lass or jus' kill a full grown man! This'll just knock ye' out for a few days" he said with a cackle as he poured the two glasses.

"and aye lass, been a strange town since its foundin days, and 'specially since the times' o' bad fortune. Thought that mess behind us now, but with these blasted goblins..." He huffed and shook his head. "Right mess it is. Lucky for us some right competent folk were visitin at least!" his jovial tone rebounded as he leaned across the bar. "Name's Jargie Quinn, by the by. S'what brings a 'sailor' an' a... a... mage?" the man said as he glanced down to the pistols at Sabine's side "-to Sandpoint then?"​
"Your drink." He drawled, using the hook to gently push the grog over Sabine's direction, a smirk playing about his features as he took a sip and sighed with a smile. That was the right stuff...He'd developed a taste for it, out at sea and it brought back good memories. He had so few of them anyway, and after beat of enjoying it, he placed down his mug and added two more gold coins as he spoke.

"Add em to my tab please. Tis an ease in my mind, finding a friendly port in this town, and ye may lay to that. But as far as that goes? It appears we've been lashed, her and I to some problems." He glanced both ways and leaned forward, as though he was taking Jargie into his confidence.

"I'm looking for a man with a weather eye fer news and gossip. Someone who'd have knowledge of t'town, o...About five or six years ago. Someone with a nose like a bilge rat, an' a nosiness t'boot."

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @OrlandoBloomers

"and aye lass, been a strange town since its foundin days, and 'specially since the times' o' bad fortune. Thought that mess behind us now, but with these blasted goblins..." He huffed and shook his head. "Right mess it is. Lucky for us some right competent folk were visitin at least!" his jovial tone rebounded as he leaned across the bar. "Name's Jargie Quinn, by the by. S'what brings a 'sailor' an' a... a... mage?" the man said as he glanced down to the pistols at Sabine's side "-to Sandpoint then?"

"Oh, no, nothing quite that dangerous, but the goblins got into our shop and wrecked part of the wall, and now some terribly large rats have gotten in!" she said with a woeful shake of her head. "But surely such a strong and brave hero such as yourself could handle that for us? I'd be certain to make sure you were properly..." One hand released its grip to gently flick the tassles of Mathias' scarf before she glanced up with coy smile "...rewarded, for you troubles of course."

Now that she mentioned it... her concerns seem pretty genuine it her. Completely trustworthy. Not that she knew her that much anyways, but who could say no to a pretty face?

"I think you should go check things out." She advised him, gazing into her eyes. "She seems trustworthy enough."

Sabine didn't bother correcting him. At Rackham's encouraging drawl she did look over, studying him for a moment, watching him take a lingering sip of his drink that he seemed to savor. She rolled her eyes and threw a good portion of her cup back without looking at it. Returning her gaze outward to ponder the innkeeper's query, she settled briefly on the window out into the daylight and her eyes, for a moment, went blank.

"It's a stop in the road."

The gunslinger wiped her lips and took a more measured mouthful, still not looking back at either of them.

"I need to be somewhere else. I'm sure your past selves understand."

She fell silent, only in part to let her companion-of-circumstance continue his line of questioning. The plainer fact was she had nothing further to add.

Now that she mentioned it... her concerns seem pretty genuine it her. Completely trustworthy. Not that she knew her that much anyways, but who could say no to a pretty face?

"I think you should go check things out." She advised him, gazing into her eyes. "She seems trustworthy enough."

"Rats?" Mathias almost seemed to shiver at the thought of the vermin. Years of living in Magnimar had taught him the truth of such animals, and that truth was that they were no good except for carrying pestilences and diseases. However, before he responded, he collected himself momentarily and noticed how she was presenting herself. Seductive and coy, approaching him in the first place, and worst of all, playing with his scarf (his mother made that scarf, now he might have to wash it!).

For a moment, he thought she was trying to drag him away from his friends so that he could be beaten, before realizing that the young woman was after something else. Something that he had no experience with whatsoever. "O-oh, um, miss, m-" Before he could counter her with a blush that seemed to make his skins a more purplish red, Destinie had spoken up and... Had he read everything about the girl wrong? He couldn't have, not with the way she was playing with his scarf and smiling up at him...

Then again, maybe there was a real problem and the girl just thought this was the only way to entice him? "Well, if you think it's fine, Miss Destinie..." He mumbled while scratching his cheek nervously before nodding, "Anyways, lead the way, Miss. Oh, and I'm Mathias Cripps, Miss, no need for titles."

"Your drink." He drawled, using the hook to gently push the grog over Sabine's direction, a smirk playing about his features as he took a sip and sighed with a smile. That was the right stuff...He'd developed a taste for it, out at sea and it brought back good memories. He had so few of them anyway, and after beat of enjoying it, he placed down his mug and added two more gold coins as he spoke.

"Add em to my tab please. Tis an ease in my mind, finding a friendly port in this town, and ye may lay to that. But as far as that goes? It appears we've been lashed, her and I to some problems." He glanced both ways and leaned forward, as though he was taking Jargie into his confidence.

"I'm looking for a man with a weather eye fer news and gossip. Someone who'd have knowledge of t'town, o...About five or six years ago. Someone with a nose like a bilge rat, an' a nosiness t'boot."

Sabine didn't bother correcting him. At Rackham's encouraging drawl she did look over, studying him for a moment, watching him take a lingering sip of his drink that he seemed to savor. She rolled her eyes and threw a good portion of her cup back without looking at it. Returning her gaze outward to ponder the innkeeper's query, she settled briefly on the window out into the daylight and her eyes, for a moment, went blank.

"It's a stop in the road."

The gunslinger wiped her lips and took a more measured mouthful, still not looking back at either of them.

"I need to be somewhere else. I'm sure your past selves understand."

She fell silent, only in part to let her companion-of-circumstance continue his line of questioning. The plainer fact was she had nothing further to add.

"Say no more lass, Say no more" Jargie said with a sage nod at her deft deflection. He poured himself a glass of the same concoction and took a swig, a sharp cough racking his body almost as soon as it was through his throat. "Calistria's tits, fergot 'ow that one burned. And right. Well, just 'bout anyone in the town'll have plenty they 'member bout the Bad Times, an' 'bout none of em really keen on talkin bout it. Course, with a fine man such as y'self already aqcuaintin yerself with me coffers, I could spin a yarn or two 'bout the goin ons. Whatsit you interested in knowin, pray tell?"

@Ringmaster @OrlandoBloomers

----------------------------------------------------

"Rats?" Mathias almost seemed to shiver at the thought of the vermin. Years of living in Magnimar had taught him the truth of such animals, and that truth was that they were no good except for carrying pestilences and diseases. However, before he responded, he collected himself momentarily and noticed how she was presenting herself. Seductive and coy, approaching him in the first place, and worst of all, playing with his scarf (his mother made that scarf, now he might have to wash it!).

For a moment, he thought she was trying to drag him away from his friends so that he could be beaten, before realizing that the young woman was after something else. Something that he had no experience with whatsoever. "O-oh, um, miss, m-" Before he could counter her with a blush that seemed to make his skins a more purplish red, Destinie had spoken up and... Had he read everything about the girl wrong? He couldn't have, not with the way she was playing with his scarf and smiling up at him...

Then again, maybe there was a real problem and the girl just thought this was the only way to entice him? "Well, if you think it's fine, Miss Destinie..." He mumbled while scratching his cheek nervously before nodding, "Anyways, lead the way, Miss. Oh, and I'm Mathias Cripps, Miss, no need for titles."
The girl smiled as her eyes lit up and she tittered. "Oh, thank you so much, Mathias" she continued breathily before she turned and sashayed down the street, turning only once to beckon slightly with her finger before she rounded the corner.

It was a short walk to the shop in question, and...

Vin's General Store

The name looked distinctly familiar as she led towards the alleyway to the backdoor

"Say no more lass, Say no more" Jargie said with a sage nod at her deft deflection. He poured himself a glass of the same concoction and took a swig, a sharp cough racking his body almost as soon as it was through his throat. "Calistria's tits, fergot 'ow that one burned. And right. Well, just 'bout anyone in the town'll have plenty they 'member bout the Bad Times, an' 'bout none of em really keen on talkin bout it. Course, with a fine man such as y'self already aqcuaintin yerself with me coffers, I could spin a yarn or two 'bout the goin ons. Whatsit you interested in knowin, pray tell?"

"Why would no one want t'talk about it? 'Tain't nothing shameful 'bout it, is there?"

He looked into his mug, his expression turning taciturn before downing his drink. And in a more somber, quiet tone that bespoke of recollection, he spoke grimly.

"Bad times 'appen to us all. How we act is the real question to em."

His eyes flicked to his hook hand, which laid on the bar like a quiet judge to the proceedings. A moment later, he smiled.

"Could I get a fish stew? An' don't skimp on the shellfish mate, I like em thick. What do you want?"

He added, glancing towards the short gunslinger.

Last edited:

----------------------------------------------------

The girl smiled as her eyes lit up and she tittered. "Oh, thank you so much, Mathias" she continued breathily before she turned and sashayed down the street, turning only once to beckon slightly with her finger before she rounded the corner.

It was a short walk to the shop in question, and...

Vin's General Store

The name looked distinctly familiar as she led towards the alleyway to the backdoor
The tiefling gulped as he hurried after the woman, almost looking as though he was terrified at the possibilities that were running through his head. He was silently praying that the story of the rats was true, hoping that he wasn't about to have to offend a beautiful young woman, whose hips seemed to sway to their own natural rhy- No, no, no, stop thinking that, Mathias, you're stronger than that! He shook his head to clear those thoughts, not wanting to give in to his baser desires. However, the panic growing in his heart only ballooned and threatened to burst out of his chest when he noticed the name on the shop's sign...

"W-Wait, V-Vin Vender-der's shop?!" Oh goddess, what had he just gotten himself into? His only friend in the town, and here he was, with a young woman clearly related to him in some way. He needed to stop this, but also not to insult her... Or maybe...

"W-Wait, before we go in," He tried to both quietly but urgently called out as he slipped into the alleyway, trying to get her to stop before the honey pot became too sweet to resist, "Can you just be honest with me, Miss?" Taking a moment to catch his breath and calm himself, he steeled his nerves and decided to try and at least decide where this interaction took place, "Are you sure the rats are here and not somewhere else? I can think of another private place where they could be..."

Hopefully, she got the hint and would move the location for whatever she had planned to where he suggested.​

@york
Isabella
@Schnee Corp Lawyer

Isabella curstied politely when she was finally greeted at the door before she spoke, her tone quiet... But, as formal as she could manage.

"Yes sir. I... Wish to speak with Ethram Valdemar." She said.

It looks like she may have forgotten to say that she was related to him to a degree, though that would likely come to light later. For the time being, her mind seemed more focused on her task at hand.​

"Why would no one want t'talk about it? 'Tain't nothing shameful 'bout it, is there?"

He looked into his mug, his expression turning taciturn before downing his drink. And in a more somber, quiet tone that bespoke of recollection, he spoke grimly.

His eyes flicked to his hook hand, which laid on the bar like a quiet judge to the proceedings. A moment later, he smiled.

"Could I get a fish stew? An' don't skimp on the shellfish mate, I like em thick. What do you want?"

"Fire burns, Jargie Quinn."

She finally turned, fully facing the bar for the first time rather than the sideways lean and elbow prop that had formed the basis of her posture up to now as she pulled the brim of her hat down and gave something three-parts smirk and one-part grimace; all the while biting down on a cigar she succinctly produced from her overcoat. Her defined canines glinted in the room's light as she slid her near-empty mug across the countertop and pushed up with her hands.

"This'll just make you live longer. Fix me up what he's having. Now that you two understand each other, I'll be doing some acquainting of my own."

With that, the gunslinger stepped off and strode away, coming to the fish tank in the center of the room where the hagfish dwelled and giving a patient tap on the glass with one hand. With her other, she went about lighting the cigar still clutched in her mouth.

"Mornin' to you."

(speak with animals ability ACTIVATE)

"Seems like a nice woman." She smiled blankly as the two walked off without her. After all, kind of trouble could they possibly get themselves into?

...only the absolute worst! All of that flirting and she failed to realize he was a nervous wreck the whole time. He might not even make it to that shop! She had to warn him. And with a quick jolt, she dashed towards the shop.

"I hope I'm not too late!" She huffed under her breath.

The tiefling gulped as he hurried after the woman, almost looking as though he was terrified at the possibilities that were running through his head. He was silently praying that the story of the rats was true, hoping that he wasn't about to have to offend a beautiful young woman, whose hips seemed to sway to their own natural rhy- No, no, no, stop thinking that, Mathias, you're stronger than that! He shook his head to clear those thoughts, not wanting to give in to his baser desires. However, the panic growing in his heart only ballooned and threatened to burst out of his chest when he noticed the name on the shop's sign...

"W-Wait, V-Vin Vender-der's shop?!" Oh goddess, what had he just gotten himself into? His only friend in the town, and here he was, with a young woman clearly related to him in some way. He needed to stop this, but also not to insult her... Or maybe...

"W-Wait, before we go in," He tried to both quietly but urgently called out as he slipped into the alleyway, trying to get her to stop before the honey pot became too sweet to resist, "Can you just be honest with me, Miss?" Taking a moment to catch his breath and calm himself, he steeled his nerves and decided to try and at least decide where this interaction took place, "Are you sure the rats are here and not somewhere else? I can think of another private place where they could be..."

Hopefully, she got the hint and would move the location for whatever she had planned to where he suggested.​
"Why would I care about rats somewh-"

"..."

Her face went into deep thought. Incredibly deep, thoughtful thought.

"....oooooooooohhhh" She said as her eyes lit up. "Why... yes, yes I do think I've heard that. Like... perhaps... at the old light at the edge' a town?" She said with a coquettish wink
"Seems like a nice woman." She smiled blankly as the two walked off without her. After all, kind of trouble could they possibly get themselves into?

...only the absolute worst! All of that flirting and she failed to realize he was a nervous wreck the whole time. He might not even make it to that shop! She had to warn him. And with a quick jolt, she dashed towards the shop.

"I hope I'm not too late!" She huffed under her breath.
Just one problem; She had no idea which shop they were going to, and when she rounded the corner after them they'd already left the street.

(knowledge local check, or diplomacy check to question locals on the street about a red haired girl associated with a shop)

--------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------

"Oh, well, you got me there, nothin' makes comfortable small talk like serial killins' an' 'orrible accidents." Jargie said in a tone so dry the grog evaporated out of his cup. Or might as well have with how fast he downed it. His grin returned at the request for food, and hobbled back towards the kitchen. His head was still visible past the serving bar as he hummed and the sound of a stove being lit filled the air. "Now that I can' certainly do! I won't take offense since this be your first visit, but a thin stew ain't a stew at'all, least not in this establisment!"

"Fire burns, Jargie Quinn."

She finally turned, fully facing the bar for the first time rather than the sideways lean and elbow prop that had formed the basis of her posture up to now as she pulled the brim of her hat down and gave something three-parts smirk and one-part grimace; all the while biting down on a cigar she succinctly produced from her overcoat. Her defined canines glinted in the room's light as she slid her near-empty mug across the countertop and pushed up with her hands.

"This'll just make you live longer. Fix me up what he's having. Now that you two understand each other, I'll be doing some acquainting of my own."

With that, the gunslinger stepped off and strode away, coming to the fish tank in the center of the room where the hagfish dwelled and giving a patient tap on the glass with one hand. With her other, she went about lighting the cigar still clutched in her mouth.

"Mornin' to you."

(speak with animals ability ACTIVATE)

Norah's head slowly poked out of the weeds and rocks, its eyeless face nonetheless honed in on Sabine's as it slowly swam forward and bonked on the glass. Whatever it planned on saying back lost to the gargle of the water, thought it definitely had something to do with food
--------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Isabella
@Schnee Corp Lawyer

Isabella curstied politely when she was finally greeted at the door before she spoke, her tone quiet... But, as formal as she could manage.

"Yes sir. I... Wish to speak with Ethram Valdemar." She said.

It looks like she may have forgotten to say that she was related to him to a degree, though that would likely come to light later. For the time being, her mind seemed more focused on her task at hand.​
The man stared at Isabella with such disdain that it was as if she'd asked him if the sky was supposed to fall any time soon.

"I see. And do you have an appointment, miss...?"

• Useful
Reactions: OrlandoBloomers
"Oh, well, you got me there, nothin' makes comfortable small talk like serial killins' an' 'orrible accidents." Jargie said in a tone so dry the grog evaporated out of his cup. Or might as well have with how fast he downed it. His grin returned at the request for food, and hobbled back towards the kitchen. His head was still visible past the serving bar as he hummed and the sound of a stove being lit filled the air. "Now that I can' certainly do! I won't take offense since this be your first visit, but a thin stew ain't a stew at'all, least not in this establisment!"
While Sabine played Fish Whisperer with the Hagfish(gruesome thing that it was), Rackham tapped his hook in thought. Serial killings? Accidents? Connected to the fire, or something more? From what little they had gotten in regards to the plundered tomb, those old bones had been for a stern personage...Perhaps he wasn't all he was cracked up to be? But even as he thought it, Rackham realized something else about all this.

Whoever had done it had to be connected to the town and someone who knew of the body, a singular priest in a town in the middle of nowhere. Someone who knew to go directly for the tomb, someone for whom it was personal...Could the priest have been the serial killer?

If so, what did that bode, if anything? He had to know more. He made a mental note to talk to the sheriff but for now? He grinned and played the able seaman as he toasted.

"Yer a right gem, Jargie! An' its Rackham to me mates! By the way, whats with the bag by Norah? Setting out 'er dowry?"

One of the disadvantages of being a newcomer in Sandspoint? Not not knowing much about the people or the places around town. It wasn't long before she realized she lost track of the pair. But if there's one thing she's good at it's getting information from others. It was a simple matter of sprucing yourself up and searching for a lad to point her the way. It wasn't something she was proud of, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

Lucky for her, her name is fairly popular around here. All it took was the right target and the man told her where she might be. With a quiet thank you and a slight shove to keep him off, she was well on her way to find them...

"Why would I care about rats somewh-"

"..."

Her face went into deep thought. Incredibly deep, thoughtful thought.

"....oooooooooohhhh" She said as her eyes lit up. "Why... yes, yes I do think I've heard that. Like... perhaps... at the old light at the edge' a town?" She said with a coquettish wink

Just one problem; She had no idea which shop they were going to, and when she rounded the corner after them they'd already left the street.

(knowledge local check, or diplomacy check to question locals on the street about a red haired girl associated with a shop)

--------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------

Norah's head slowly poked out of the weeds and rocks, its eyeless face nonetheless honed in on Sabine's as it slowly swam forward and bonked on the glass. Whatever it planned on saying back lost to the gargle of the water, thought it definitely had something to do with food
--------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------​

The man stared at Isabella with such disdain that it was as if she'd asked him if the sky was supposed to fall any time soon.

"I see. And do you have an appointment, miss...?"

A sigh of relief escaped him as she realized the same danger that he was worried over and went along with his suggestion. A playful yet also sweet and hopefully endearing smile of his own came to his lips as he nodded in agreement, "Yes, I recall someone else mentioning vermin there! I am glad you are in agreement, Miss..." He paused for a moment, realizing that he had no name but Vender to call her by. Such a name did not seem personal enough though, not for what they were about to engage in.

"Though before we go, might I inquire as to the name of my lovely companion?" Suddenly, he began to feel more at ease with the situation, able to speak without stuttering as he continued to smirk at her, "It wouldn't be right to not know your name with the connection between us now."

Status
Not open for further replies.