• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Now, usually, just a bog-standard secretary really wouldn't draw his eye. However pretty they were, he did have the habit of judging people - if they worked a menial job, he had no interest in them whatsoever. He saw himself among a particular social class and really didn't want to lower himself to a lower rung on the ladder. It was, to him, unacceptable.

So to learn that this girl was of money and was simply working to earn her 'independence' (or just for some more cash) was a relief. He'd clearly had his eye drawn to her, and he would have been furious with himself if she did turn out to be little more than a strapped-for-cash worker. His belief in himself was reinstated when he learnt she was more than that. Far more than that, really, given she was dining in this place with her parents, both of whom seemed to be draped in wealth.

"Suzanne," he repeated, just to test how the name sounded on his tongue, and he promptly let a rare smile show when he decided he liked it. "Her parents don't seem best pleased with her. Is she good at her job, at least? She looks like she'd be competent."

"She's an utter dunce, to be honest. I only keep her around because I need to pretend I have one, and it seems that my other 'friends' are more cooperative when she serves them a beer or two," he grumbled as he narrowed his eyes at Aubyn, his nails scraping into the classy tablecloth. Taking in Suzanne himself, he scoffed unsubtly and took a sip of his drink.

"Oi, it's incredibly disrespectful, what you're doing. This is supposed to be our meal. I get you out of that place and you thank me by being rude and focusing on some... s-some half-witted bimbo? That's pretty low, even for you, Aubyn," he insisted, unable to really hide his bitterness as he pursed his lips tightly together. "How about we talk about literally anyone else?"

"I hardly think I'm being rude asking about someone I'm going to be working alongside. I don't like the thought of working with idiots, Philip. I barely enjoy the fact I'm going to be working for you, so asking you about the people I'll be spending a lot of my time with. I also don't think it's rude of me to find that girl interesting, either. She's obviously from money and her parents are clearly somebodies in this town, not that I know who they are, and yet she's a secretary for you. Is that not at all interesting?" He challenged, genuinely caught off guard by his friend's anger. He could sit and chat with irritating men about business and the like, but Aubyn couldn't ask one question about a girl he would be working with? Especially when he found her to be pretty downright interesting.

"...Fine. Fine, let's not talk about her. I suppose this dinner is about you and I, isn't it?" He admitted, deciding that he was simply going to retreat from his challenging position, both because he didn't want to cause a scene, and because he didn't want to end the night with any iciness between them. He adored Philip and was incredibly thankful for everything he'd done, so if that meant uncharacteristically relenting, he would.

"Is it going to be like this everytime we head out together, you being bombarded by businessmen who want your support? I understand, of course, but I find it terribly tedious-- that said, it's also downright impressive. You always said you were going to be somebody, didn't you? And here you are~"

Reactions: saturnia pavonia
"Thank you," he huffed, thanking the waiter once putting in his order. With a glass of wine in one hand and his phone in the other, he easily typed away to request a body guard to at least offer him some safety from eager fans... or angry opposers. Setting said phone in his pocket, he adjusted his tie absently.

"I've got some help to leave us alone," he explained carefully, folding his hands neatly on his lap as he watched his friend, clearly still cautious. "You know, you two won't have to deal with one another much. You and her life are completely unrelated, understood?"

"I thought we were talking about literally anything else other than that woman?" He retorted as a slow smirk found its way onto his face. He wasn't particularly bothered what they talked about, but he definitely found it humorous that the other began to perpetuate the topic more than he was. He had been perfectly happy to drop it.

"Oh, I won't get to work much with her? I think that's a shame. I'd have loved to get inside her head, see why she's demeaning herself with this job when she could quite easily lounge around at home and live the right lifestyle. Surely I can find the time to ask her that? It's curious, she intrigues me, that's all. I don't understand why you're so riled up."

"Oh, shut up," he replied with a sneer as he impatiently tapped his nails against the table, his eyes occasionally darting to Suzanne who had remained completely oblivious to the two, even with the crowd that had since vanished. Biting his lip, it was visually difficult to keep from growing more annoyed by the second.

"You aren't going to psychoanalyze my secretary, Aubyn. Not to mention I know that, that's just a stupid excuse to get to know her. You like her, don't you?" He questioned quietly, his eyes now locked on his friend.

"Like her? Oh, god, what do you take me for? When have I ever liked someone, in all the years you've known me? When I was a teenager, I never liked anyone, did I? Not even that infuriating girl who followed me around the hospital like a lapdog when we were 15. I don't like her, I'm not going to suddenly be thrusting roses in her face and asking for her hand in marriage. I simply think she's intriguing," he responded slowly, continuing to find the other's anger astonishing. Even if he did like the girl, it was hardly like he was lowering his standards - she clearly came from money, so she was in the bracket he himself was. He had no qualms dating someone like that.

"Honestly, why are you so irritated by this? Is she attractive? Of course. Everyone has some sort of aesthetic appeal, and hers just happens to be more apparent than that of other girls. Do I want to swoop in like Romeo to her Juliet? Not at all. You're being ridiculous about this."

"Sure," he replied quietly before smiling, trying to pretend he wasn't upset. Carefully, he moved to adjust Aubyn's collar with a smaller smirk. Clearing his throat, he eased back into his chair to take a sip of his wine.

"I wonder what happened to that girl," he admitted, clinging to the topic desperately. "She had a bit too many loose screws, you know? Probably went to a different place. I bet her parents sent her to a glamorous little place to rot."

"Must we talk about her, too? She was beyond infuriating, Philip. I know you found if jolly good fun, but I didn't. She was besotted with me. I suppose I understand that, I am attractive and I have money, even if it's not technically mine at the moment. But god, she was a pain in my ass. What was her name? Tara? Tia? It doesn't remotely matter. She's banging her head on some padded wall somewhere," he shrugged dismissively, having forgotten all about the girl until now. She hadn't meant anything at all to him, even though the teen had been beyond obsessed with him. It was a hassle more than anything else.

Tapping his finger on the rim of the glass slowly, he shifted in a little closer to his friend from the opposite side of the table. "Are you mad that I'm interested in that girl because you like her? Philip, that isn't anything to be ashamed of. She's good-looking. She's of a high status in society. You could do worse."

"Don't be stupid, Aubyn," he replied with a snort, the ridiculous accusation causing him to roll his eyes. Taking a sip of the wine that was already almost gone, he set his head in his hand with a scowl.

"I don't know who you take me for,? I would tell you if I was with someone, I hope you would know that. No, I crave someone with the same intelligence as me," he explained simply, his eyes wandering towards the window absently,

"And the implication of that is that the girl isn't as intelligent as you? Of course she isn't, what am I talking about? Though, you ought to realise that I've yet to meet anyone that compares to you in terms of intelligence. If you're genuinely looking to start dating, I don't think it'd be entirely easy if you have all these requirements. I'll say it again, you're not going to find someone who's your equal very easily. You're one in a million," he casually complimented, resting back against his chair and, after dabbing his mouth with his tissue, moved for another glass of wine. Wine, he realised, was something he had missed dreadfully, so even if he felt himself becoming tipsy and drunk, even, he was prepared to go through that. He'd never been drunk in his life, not even in the one month he had spent out of hospital, but there was clearly a first time for everything.

"I'd tell you to lower your standards, but I never would. I want to be with someone who's my equal, of course I do. Heck, I don't think I even want a romantic relationship. Just having someone who I could share breakfast with and go out with would be nice. A companion, rather than a... a sex buddy or whatever the term is."

"You already have a companion in me," he reminded as he raised a brow, holding his wine to his lips curiously. "I mean, why need anyone else, right? To be honest, we're the only people that really matter, Aubyn. If I could, I would fire everyone and just do this all by myself, but I can only be in so many places at once. That's why I'm comfortable working with you, and you working with me. You're better than all of these people, Abby."

Once finishing his small rant, he waved the waiter over to request another pour of wine, his lips pulled into a smile. Sure, he was dismissive of everyone on the inside, but he had to keep a friendly front.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: potassiumboron
"You and I aren't boyfriends, Philip. We're friends, not companions. I suppose I'm in no rush to enter the world of dating, but if I were, I'd want a companion and I suppose that might occasionally include my significant other seeing me naked. You and I, therefore, aren't companions because I'm not going to strip off in front of you anytime soon. Rest assured, though, you are my closest friend and ally," he drawled, his one-word, often characteristically short answers becoming long sentences the more alcohol he consumed. His tipsiness was in the driving seat at the moment and, while he really would never choose to get drunk in a public place where he could theoretically embarrass himself, he didn't really... care at the moment.

Nobody even knew who he was, they didn't recognise him, and with that came a strange amount of freedom. Getting tipsy like this was surprisingly freeing for him, even if he was probably going to wake up and regret everything he did whilst intoxicated.

"...She is awfully attractive, don't you think? Suzie-- Suzanne. She could have portraits painted of her that would sell for millions, I think. I should tell her that. It seems like something girls would like to hear," he drawled slowly, resting his head on his hand with a lazy, drunken smirk. "Lemme try with you, this flirting lark. I need practise. You're real nice and you're my best buddy and you're my only equal in this fucking shit world and you're a big mayor now, I'm sort of jealous. That's not flirting, is it? That's just babbling."

"You're just stroking my ego," he replied simply as he bitterly glared at the oblivious assistant, his usual smirk turning to a grimace as he took a large sip of wine. His attention was only brought back when their food was set out, and a portion of him thanked whatever higher being was there for that. Entwining his fork in the pasta, he glanced back at Aubyn with a raised brow.

"Please don't pretend to like someone just because I don't like her, Abby. This life is supposed to be about you and me, not anyone else. I don't want some stupid, disposable employee to make our new life ruined. It's just you and me, okay?" He grunted, his eyes sharp.

"So I'm not even allowed to find a pretty girl attractive, am I? Nice to know. So much for supportive friends. I understand that she seems beneath me, but she's clearly of high status. I see no issues talking to her, but clearly, you do. I'll resist temptation, how about that? See the things I sacrifice for you?" Beamed the other man as he raised a glass to clink with his, before downing the rest of his wine in one gulp. He was teetering past tipsiness at this point, as evidenced by his uncharacteristically cheerful behaviour, but it was at least better than the robotic treatment he could be giving his best friend.

"This life is about you and me," he repeated quietly, smiling to himself once the words really sunk in. "Understood. That means you can't go eyeing up some guy's ass, alright? I sound so uncouth, but I'm drunk and I'm not entirely... used to this feeling. Am I making a fool of myself?"

"Do you honestly think I just go around whistling for the first man I see? Don't be a moron," he scolded as he watched the other, his own smile returning at just how ridiculous the sight was. He had seen Aubyn happy before, even if it was rare, but he had never seen the man so... goofy. It was beyond adorable, in his eyes, as he rested his head on his hand.

"God, you're just getting cuter and cuter, you know that? Why would I need to stare at some random guy's ass when I can look at yours?" He cooed, before raising a brow. "That is flirting."

"I do hope you aren't staring at my ass. It's terribly... common. It's what the normal folk do, isn't it? Stare and grunt like sex-mad animals. Mind you, I was the one who brought up this whole conversation. Like I said, I'm drunk. Am I speaking too loudly? Oh god, I bet I look a mess. It's so uncivilised of me, getting drink in a fancy restaurant opposite the mayor," groaned the man as he seemed to become abundantly aware of his drunkenness and the fact his words were beginning to slur. Initially, he was incredibly embarrassed by it. He held himself to such a high standard, he followed all the rules of high society...

And yet here he was, slumped slightly with his suit a little dishevelled and a lazy smile on his face.

Frankly, though, this was what he needed and it was surprisingly freeing to let himself relax like this, just this once.

"Nobody knows who I am yet. I'm simply the dining friend of the mayor. Nobody recognises me. So hey, cheers to that!" Slurred the man with another raise of his glass, only stopping the gesture when the wine spilled out onto the tablecloth a little. "Fuck. Ah well, it's not a good night until wine's been spilled, am I right or am I right~?"

"I've never seen you drink before, but I was expecting you to naturally be a pro," he admitted quietly, more to himself than anything as he took a bite of his food. "How does it feel? Being drunk, that is. Probably better than any of those shit pills those fuckers back at that hellhole made you take, huh?" He cooed, his smirk now a grin at the fact that, once again, he was right.

"We should relax after this. Watch a nice movie, or maybe just eat some ice cream and lounge. I want to really get to know you again, Aubyn," he purred, his eyes locked on the other. "Call it 'common' of me, but I'm the mayor and no one knows who you are, so drop the whole 'better than you' act for just a night and let us have fun."

"It's not an act. I am better than everyone in this place. In this city. Besides you, you're an exception," he casually remarked, running his finger across the rim of the glass with a dazed, zoned out expression that only faded when the offer of a relaxed night in of 'fun' sunk in.

Having ice cream and watching a movie seemed so common to him. It wasn't his idea of fun-- but in his drunken state, he felt fairly adventurous and, for him, the height of adventurousness was doing this sort of thing; an activity he usually saw as beneath him.

"...A movie. What about? A horror? Psycho, perhaps? It seems fitting given our past."

"I was thinking something more stupid, like a romantic comedy. I want to see the trials and tribulations of a young man in love," he replied with a snort as he dabbed his cheek.

"I always wanted to just have a nice night, one that's normal. Everyone who is my 'friend' is only friends with me because they fear me, you know? You're my only true friend, I want an honest reaction," he explained as he watched the other, the intensity in his eyes proof enough of how invested he was in the other. With anyone else outside of business, he would have gotten bored.