Reign of Winter: A Pathfinder Chronicle

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Hey, some religions involve ingest a hallucinogenic substance to gain enlightenment.

Done with gear. Now to calc bonuses and so on.

Last edited:
There's not really any major deities into the whole 'get high all the time' thing.

Unless you count Cayden Cailean. Though he's more of a "get smashed, start a fight" kinda god.

Anyway, if people are wanting a bit of information on the country we're starting off in, here's the Pathfinder Wiki page for Taldor. I'm also gonna post some Local Rumours stuff in the main OOC section later tonight, just to give you chums some stuff to maybe work off.

I dont think Ayzel would go to a monastery, at least not at first (She was keeping her abalitites a secret)....Does Heldran have one I thought it was a small town?

However, maybe Leaf Ear starts working at the shop first and they strike up a friendship and she eventually comes clean about being an oracle. Then maybe she goes to the monastary with him?
I kinda assume the church also doubles as the monastery, and to my understanding Oracles are the Sorcerers to the Wizard's Clerics. I do know they have a Temple of Erastil there, so I could figure out a good reason why my monk is into archery (Erastil is the god of hunting doncha know). But yeah, I'm good with that too. Leaf Ear and Ayzel were good friends before the advent of her abilities, and when she does reveal it, he'll show her to the temple so she could learn not to control her powers. I'm assume that we both are fairly new to the teachings of the temple however, considering we're both level 1. You just discovered your powers and I just picked up a bow.

General Opinions:

So far: I have the abality to cast Cure 4 times/ day and Lay on Hands(or somethign hands,,, the paladin abality) 1/2 + 4/day

Do ya'll think that's enough daily heals? Or should I take the life mystery so I can get channel to? Or would it be safe to pick something else?
Considering we're starting at level 1 I think that ought to be enough. 1d8+caster level of healing would be a lot when you only have 10 HP. As far as what your Mystery should be, I would say go with what would fit your character. Otherwise I'd suggest either Winter (Fits with the whole Winter thing, though I don't know how effect cold would be in a predominantly cold-based campaign) or Nature (More in line with balancing out the influx of winter).

Roleplaying wise being a Winter Based Oracle may even bring some entertaining drama to the RP, with the villagers blaming you for the cause of the unexpected Winters, with leaf Ear being steadfast by your side but eager to end the unnatural phenomenon nonetheless. It would give them both a reason to want to embark on this adventure as Ayzel would need to prove her innocence, and Leaf Ear would want to protect her and save the village.

LG Oread Monk? I doubt drugs is apart of his life in any way other than stomping it out of the community.

Oreads don't tend to get out much, BUT there is a way that he could have met some of you. If he is more of a traveling monk that there is a chance you all met him.

So where are you all from, in the setting?
Eh, the drug thing was just a curiosity. I'm totally fine with forgetting about it. Leaf Ear was born to a clan of orcs in the mountain, his own mother being an orc who had an affair with a hunter in their territory. Leaf Ear largely grew up among the orcs, training himself to be a hunter by traversing the rocky slopes and stalking prey. Like many orcs Leaf Ear often fought his fellow orcs in the clan for whatever reason; some who disliked his heritage when it came to light that he was a half-orc (Which nearly got is mother killed, though she ran away in exile), his appearance (He's called Leaf Ear because his ears look like leafs), to simple psychotic rage (Most are barbarians). However the orcs lacked the tools and weapons to be good hunters, most relying on crudely created weapons (Club, spears, axes, that sort of thing) and hunting in packs. Leaf Ear was a bit more intelligent then that, knowing he'd need a more... Refined approach. He soon came across a hunter injuries in the wild and instead of killing him and looting him for stuff, Leaf Ear brought the hunter back to his village, hoping to use this chance to join with them and abandon his clan. Since then he's taken up to doing odd jobs around the village to earn his keep and lives at the Temple of Erastil, where he somewhat follows the faith though personally has no desire for "The simple life".

How likely are we to encounter giant subtybes?

Snow Giants? I'd think fairly likely. Doing a bit of reading, there's a mountain range where my orc could have come from that is populated by Snow Giants.

Just remember that you're all starting in Taldor, waaaaaaaay to the south, and not Irrisen (unless you pick certain Traits), and we're all good.

Nice to see you guys putting your plotting hats on. I heartily approve.

Also...

...who's the 'Jed C' guy in Roll20? That anybody here?

Dunno

I got my character mostly done and as a Ranger and Racial trait I got Favored Enemy Giant and Giant Hunter and some more that give me extra stuff against giant subtypes. I am going for a young dwarf whose family are famous in the dwarf community as Troll slayers and brewers.

I kinda assume the church also doubles as the monastery, and to my understanding Oracles are the Sorcerers to the Wizard's Clerics. I do know they have a Temple of Erastil there, so I could figure out a good reason why my monk is into archery (Erastil is the god of hunting doncha know). But yeah, I'm good with that too. Leaf Ear and Ayzel were good friends before the advent of her abilities, and when she does reveal it, he'll show her to the temple so she could learn not to control her powers. I'm assume that we both are fairly new to the teachings of the temple however, considering we're both level 1. You just discovered your powers and I just picked up a bow.

Considering we're starting at level 1 I think that ought to be enough. 1d8+caster level of healing would be a lot when you only have 10 HP. As far as what your Mystery should be, I would say go with what would fit your character. Otherwise I'd suggest either Winter (Fits with the whole Winter thing, though I don't know how effect cold would be in a predominantly cold-based campaign) or Nature (More in line with balancing out the influx of winter).

Roleplaying wise being a Winter Based Oracle may even bring some entertaining drama to the RP, with the villagers blaming you for the cause of the unexpected Winters, with leaf Ear being steadfast by your side but eager to end the unnatural phenomenon nonetheless. It would give them both a reason to want to embark on this adventure as Ayzel would need to prove her innocence, and Leaf Ear would want to protect her and save the village.

Eh, the drug thing was just a curiosity. I'm totally fine with forgetting about it. Leaf Ear was born to a clan of orcs in the mountain, his own mother being an orc who had an affair with a hunter in their territory. Leaf Ear largely grew up among the orcs, training himself to be a hunter by traversing the rocky slopes and stalking prey. Like many orcs Leaf Ear often fought his fellow orcs in the clan for whatever reason; some who disliked his heritage when it came to light that he was a half-orc (Which nearly got is mother killed, though she ran away in exile), his appearance (He's called Leaf Ear because his ears look like leafs), to simple psychotic rage (Most are barbarians). However the orcs lacked the tools and weapons to be good hunters, most relying on crudely created weapons (Club, spears, axes, that sort of thing) and hunting in packs. Leaf Ear was a bit more intelligent then that, knowing he'd need a more... Refined approach. He soon came across a hunter injuries in the wild and instead of killing him and looting him for stuff, Leaf Ear brought the hunter back to his village, hoping to use this chance to join with them and abandon his clan. Since then he's taken up to doing odd jobs around the village to earn his keep and lives at the Temple of Erastil, where he somewhat follows the faith though personally has no desire for "The simple life".
Okay, I like the first chunk about their backstory *nods* Just remember that she's masquerading as a human, nooones going to know she's a kitsune until she admits it....Or slips up.

As for the second chunk:
I know the amount of healing will be good for lvloners, I was worried about the amount of people we have in the party.

Winter, Fire, Wind, life, and Heavns were the ones I had narrowed it down to. I like the plot point about Ayzel being blamed for the winter though. That's pretty cool. It would also make sense with her Northern Ancestory trait. But I also want her to be useful against cold based creatures that I assume we'll be engaing with.

Hey...could that hunter be our resident dwarven ranger @WitchChild (or maybe his father or whatever?).....CAN WE MAKES A CONNECTION?!
...Or would that be a not be a good idea because dwarves and orcs are a no go?

Could our human Druid perhaps know our dwarven ranger as well as our elven druid? But that way our human druid is our connecter to our elven party member? Then our ranger can be the connecter to that druid (assuming said human druid dosen't live in the town. If they do. Then forget this part?)

But our dwarf can be selling some of his liquor to a shop merchant in town somewhere?

As for our LG Oread @Cerulean Could he be passing through and be staying at the monstary/church/religous building and he can meet Leaf Ear and Ayzel there?

Just ideas, noone need take them seriously.

Why must the Ranger always be the nature kind? Why not a street thug with one massive crossbow?

That's classist man, classist.

Hey, Leaf Ear could still know him that way. Urban Ranger yo.

But fo sho, I like ya thinking @Silver. From what I understand we got a lot of range fighters and not much for melee, which is a bit worrisome but I'm sure we'll be able to handle ourselves. BTW, are you guys able to see my CS on the Roll20? I'm mostly finished aside from filling in a backstory but I don't see the CS for any of ya. Not that it ought to really matter to anyone but the GM, but how can I know your backstory if I can't see ya character?

The way journals are assigned at the minute you can only see your own character sheet and no-one else's. I'll probably wind up changing that up once we've finalised the cast list, though.

As for backstories, I'm planning on copy/pasting what you guys give me into the Character List at the bottom of the main OOC entry, just so it's all in one place and we don't need to go trawling through pages and pages of OOC chatter.

@Grumpy forgive me if this is a dumb question, but since there's snow in the borderwoods, would it be safe to assume it'd be cold enough in town for folks to be wearing winter clothes>

@Grumpy forgive me if this is a dumb question, but since there's snow in the borderwoods, would it be safe to assume it'd be cold enough in town for folks to be wearing winter clothes>

The Border Woods are several miles out of town and the weather pocket is obviously supernatural in origin, given that everywhere else in Taldor is shiny-ass summer and then suddenly it cuts to the dead of winter the second you step into that region.

That being said, there's no reason why someone who's planning on looking into it wouldn't be planning to pack cold weather gear.

Seriously you guys should do that, the cold weather effects in Pathfinder are pretty fucking savage.

• Thank You
Reactions: Cerulean and Silver
Sorry I haven't been around for much plotting. Busy day yesterday, as will be most of today. But yeah, I think the two druids should know each other and I'm okay with Ren only having that one connection to the group. Makes for some interesting new social encounters

Sorry I haven't been around for much plotting. Busy day yesterday, as will be most of today. But yeah, I think the two druids should know each other and I'm okay with Ren only having that one connection to the group. Makes for some interesting new social encounters
Definately so with our dwarf (or am I thinking Lord of the Rings?) and our half-orc

• Love
Reactions: Soulserenity20
Hey, @Kooriryu Does Yella live in Heldran? She could come into contact with a lot of folk who pass through, like collecting their stories? Or songs or something?

Leaf Ear's Backstory:

Leaf Ear was born under the unison of an orcish woman and a human hunter. His mother, unsatisfied with her current husband, sought this affair for no particular reason then her own whimsy. Soon she sired the one known as Leaf Ear, a healthy young child who initially received much love from his mother and, surprisingly, his orcish father. He believed that because Leaf Ear was born the sole child instead of born in a litter (As most orcs are), Leaf Ear had dominated and consumed his siblings within the womb. Leaf Ears orcish father was quick to take his "son" under his wing, wanting him to become a mighty warrior who would serve his father loyally.

However this good life did not last long. Leaf Ear's Orcish father, despite what some stereotypes would present, was not a fool. When Leaf Ear grew up to be a young child his orcish father noticed Leaf Ears lack of bestial features known by him: Most notably, powerful tusks said to be able to sunder through flesh and bone. Leaf Ear's Orcish Father immediate confronted his wife about this, and after a brutal beating she confessed to the affair with a human hunter. She barely escaped with her life, but left Leaf ear under the mercy of his orcish father.

Since then Leaf Ear's life was a struggle. His father lost the love for him and practically abandoned him, seeing him only to bully and order him around. Leaf Ear sought refuge with the clan's shaman, hoping to be of some assistance to him. Leaf Ear was not much better then a slave however, forced to traverse the deadly mountain they called home to gather supplies or observe prey. These outings taught Leaf Ear of a world outside his clan; he saw the hunters of the other villages, he saw monsters and magic, of heroes and adventurers. It seemed like a better life then the one he had right now.

But Leaf Ear was young, and he lacked the skills to defend himself. Not that he didn't earn it growing up. As a half-orc Leaf Ear was no stranger to being bullied and picked on by not only his father, but other orcs. He didn't let them step on him however and quickly learned how to use his own hands and feet to fight back. While he may lack his father's mighty tusks, his fist could hurt his opponents just as well. But his fighting spirit did not earn him any respect in the village. No one would be willing to teach him how to fight, instead merely using him as an opportunity to train their weapons on him. Leaf Ear knew that if he did not leave soon, he would die, killed at the hands of an orc who desired to test their new axe on him.

So one day while out hunting for herbs for the clan shaman, Leaf Ear spied on a hunter facing off against a mighty beast. Despite the amount of damage the hunter did, he eventually fell to the beast. But before the creature could land the finishing blow Leaf Ear arrived and scared it off with a torch. This hunter, while modestly dressed, had riches which Leaf Ear has never seen before: Weapons, cloth, gold, and food. But instead of stealing them from the hunter, Leaf Ear took the hunter upon his shoulders and carried him back towards the village of Heldren, the only village Leaf Ear knew was near.

The half-orc was only 15 when he did this deed. He wasn't certain what would have become of him. He hoped that by bringing the hunter back alive, he would be spared and welcomed to the community. And for the most part he was, but not completely. His kind were not strangers to Heldren, and while they kept their distance Leaf Ear's tribe had fought the village before for territory and resources in the past. Many were right not to trust Leaf Ear, but he was willing to earn their trust however he could. The hunter he saved was most grateful and even helped him find a place to stay: The Temple of Erastil, the god of the hunt and harvest. Though Leaf Ear never formally accepted the faith, he nonetheless followed their rules and became quite law-abiding. What little skills he had coming into the village he learned under the teachings of the Temple. He honed his martial prowess, but also picked up the bow. He learned philosophy and religion, how to set up and dismantle snares, and grew his own form of honor.

Years passed, and Leaf Ear didn't spend all his time in the temple. Still eager to earn his keep he sought employment in the village, which was much better then back at his tribe. Here in Heldren he actually got paid to work, instead of merely allowed to leave with fewer scars. He often found employment with a family of merchants who had a daughter named Ayzel. He found her company enjoyable, more so since she and her family were one of the few within Heldren to accept him openly. He often used his strength for their benefit, but on the occasions he was free to go hunting he would repay their kindness by bringing them skin and meats.

---

That's some basic stuff for now since I still need to work it out with Silver on Azyel's backstory.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Silver