Out of Greed {w/ potassiumboron}

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Well, believe it. I am agreeing with the 'golden child' on this. I also know you wouldn't pull that sort of thing. You'd have a reason, if you did. A better reason than not being ready. And the biggest difference is is that we've been together for three years, not a couple days." Her voice was calm to keep from making the children upset, she wasn't taking chances.

Her expression grown blank throughout all of this and she wouldn't even look at Tate before murmuring, "Excuse me." She would stand up and motion for Charlie to not get up when she noticed him moving a little and then walked out of the room in silence. The blonde would sigh softly and just take another sip of his drink for he knew that Dumah probably went to the bathroom or something to regain her senses and emotions, not wanting to lose them right here and now.

"Look, don't go walking off like a child, Dumah, it's annoying. Fucking hell," he grunted under his breath, biting hard on his lips in what was clear contemplation, eyebrow furrowed to himself as he finally hurried after the girl. Knowing he should let her go and calm down alone, as he had on previous occasions, he did choose to ignore it as he darted out without so much as an apology to his mother for the language.

"Dumah, will you just stop, please?" He groaned, reaching to grab her hand with an awkward, and clearly annoyed sigh, even if that was mostly because of Asher rather than her having done something, because she hadn't. "I'm sorry, okay? I just... I-I dunno, I have things on my mind, and I... you know I love you, so stop storming off? I need to talk to you, like, seriously."​

It did actually surprise her when this time Tate would follow, him calling her a child going over her head and leaving her completely unphased by it. Her eyes were wide as he took a hold of her wrist and she'd turn around to face him, her eyes seeming dark than before. Trying to keep herself together, she'd sigh shakily as she would listen to him speak.

In return to his words, her hands would move along with her response, signing only few words at a time to him, "I know, I know..I..I love you too, I just..I'm sorry..I just.." It was hard for her to explain why she even 'stormed off' when she was like this and she just pursed her lips briefly before telling him, "Nevermind..it's nothing. Go ahead and talk."

"It's important. I didn't really plan on doing this like... this, but there's no other real option to and I guess I need to," he mumbled to himself, realising his words made no sense when she didn't understand the context of them. But it did immediately become clear the second he got to his knee, still holding onto her hand with a bashful grin, though it wasn't all that slick. He fiddled in his pocket for the box he had on him -he had planned on doing this that evening, not right now- and it did take a few seconds for him to fetch it out, only to drop it and have to awkwardly murmur an apology before opening it to reveal a ring, made by himself (with some professional advice).

"It's ruby and diamond; like, red for demons and white for you, an angel, so... yeah, will you me-- no, w-will you marry m-me?" He sighed, grimacing at the sound of his nervous stammers, but this was unequivocally the most nerve-racking thing he had ever done. "I don't m-mind you saying no, that's totally cool, but... I dunno, I've planned it for like half a year and... spent a long time learning how to make a ring, so..."​

Dumah raised an eyebrow at her lover as he started to ramble on and convinced herself that she could fight herself against..herself for this. Her eyes widened in pure surprise and realization when he began to kneel on the ground. She'd bite down her grin, watching him fumbling around with the box in his pocket before having to try not to laugh at how cute he got whenever he was nervous.

Her mouth fell open when he opened the box to reveal the gorgeous, handcrafted ring and she'd use her free hand to cover her mouth. She let him talk before she let herself laugh at the last comment, "Hey! Don't act like you're cool with it if I say no and then try and guilt me, mister. Cause I was going to say yes anyways. But you..made that ring? It's beautiful..I love it. But yes, I would love to marry you. More than anything."

"Really? Thank god, my knee is killing," he groaned, standing quickly with a shy smile to her as he moved to place the ring on her finger for her, and did silently admire how well it fitted. He had had to measure her ring size by eye alone, but he seemed to at least have had it spot on. He could have just asked her, but that wouldn't have been that much of a surprise. "I... I love you, and this is honestly something I never saw myself doing, but I met you and you're obviously meant for me, and vice versa-- and trust me, I'm not going to pull an Asher on you," he snorted, that having become a term in the family by this point. "I mean, I'm not going to ditch you at the altar. I'll be there and... and we could have the wedding wherever you'd like. It's all on your terms, okay? I'm babbling."

He quietly leant in for a kiss, one he had intended to make semi-passionate, until spotting Ajax trailing in and staring at them in confusion, only to break into a grin when observing the ring shining on Dumah's finger. "Ajax--"

"You got engaged? Oh, get in there, bro! Seriously, I'm proud of 'ya~!" He beamed, carefully taking Dumah's hand to observe the ring. "It's beautiful, seriously. Don't pull an Asher on her--"

"I'm not going to, obviously. Some of us can actually stay level headed, Ajax. I think you should go back out, to be honest. Anael will be collecting Aurora, and... it'll be awkward," he murmured, knowing that Beckett would be asking her out, and now Ajax was home, it would hardly go down well.​

Dumah snickered and told him, "You didn't have to get on your knee either, that was all you right there, mister." She'd admire the ring size as well, it fit just right on her finger, just the right amount of looseness and not at all tight in any way. She couldn't remember anytime where he asked her her ring size, so she was very impressed. God, did she love him. She snorted as well whenever he used that term, covering her mouth before calming down enough to say, "I know you wouldn't. Besides, if you did, I'd be on your ass about it. You can't get rid of me that easily, babe. We're soulmates. I never saw myself doing this either. Or hell, having kids. But I don't know, being with you has made me want those things. And oh? I promise I won't be..too cruel."

She'd said that part in a playful tone and grinned at him before leaning in for a kiss as well when she herself had noticed Ajax and pursed her lips to pull away from him slightly as she'd just smile and let him take her hand. Dumah rolled her eyes as the term came up again before agreeing easily with her lover.

"I don't think it's a good idea either, my sister be here in a few minutes to pick her daughter up, maybe less or more but. It'll be awkward, like he said," Plus she wanted to save Beckett's ass in case Ajax did end up getting mad, hence why she wasn't saying anything about it either.

"So I have to fuck out of my own home because she's coming? Look, I know I've been mean, but I like her. She's a nice girl, and I intend to be civil with her, at least. She said herself she doesn't mind me not being involved with Aurora, and if that kid's gonna be here a lot visiting everyone, Anael and I will have to get on. We usually get on brilliantly," he shrugged, not really taking the advice from them. He thought it was purely to save arguments, unaware that it was mostly to avoid him and Beckett from confrontation.

"Thanks though, but I do sort of want to see her and apologise again. Hell, maybe I might wanna start being more involved?" He suggested calmly, knowing it was directly contradictory to what he had said earlier that morning, but he was prone to changing his mind and being flippant with things. "I literally just got dumped by my girlfriend--"

"She dumped you? Normally it's the other way around..."

"Yeah, strange huh? But seriously, she had a kid -it's not mine, relax- and she had to put her first, and it just got me thinking is all," he smiled, rubbing the back of his neck casually. "Five years too late, but hey, I can try, can't I?"​

The raven would sigh softly at his words, but gave an honest response without mentioning Beckett, "Good luck with that. She only just got that little girl to realize she doesn't have a father. There's no way Anael's just going to let you slip into their lives like everything is okay or something like that, y'know. Like the girl who dumped you, she's going to do the same. Aurora is always going to come first. You didn't want to be involved with her three years ago or even this morning. Just because you had a change of heart because you were dumped, that's hardly going to make her think you're serious about this..but yeah, you can try."

His voice was quiet and gentle as she told him that before she heard her niece's voice, "Mommy!" Ana had arrived just then, having to search for what room they were all in until she could find her daughter. Once she did, the little girl had picked up on a foreign noise to her and stood up on her chair to look, only to see her mother. The woman would just grin and pull her little girl into a hug, peppering her face in kisses before putting her back down, crouching down besides her after waving to everyone else at the table and greeted them.

Aurora would pout, "Mommy, why did you leave?" Teasingly she would tell her, "Well, I had to go fight off the big bad wolf to make sure we still had somewhere to go back to." She gasped, believing her easily, "Did he try to blow down our home again?!" "He did, baby, but I stopped him before he could." With a grin, she would give her mom a wet kiss on the cheek and Ana would make a face, wiping her own cheek generously after that. So maybe she bent the truth a little quite a lot, but it was more exciting than 'our landlord is very strict about rent and I had to go pay before he kicked us out right there.' Thankfully, they would get to move again in a few days, she hated where they were currently staying with passion.

"Hey, Ana." Ajax smiled, leaning against the doorway as he observed the woman and the girl, although her to a lesser extent, admittedly. His sudden appearance, however, did make Beckett who was still sat at the table suddenly cringe and fiddle with his hands. As much as he wanted to actually do something selfish for once and ask Anael out, he did also feel the usual big brother protectiveness kick in, and saving Ajax from feeling awkward, however much he may deserve it, was something he immediately opted for, hence why he excused himself to take Kyon outside a moment.

Not noticing anything strange about that, Ajax simply smiled quietly, the expression surprisingly genuine. "I was just thinking, I could get involved again. i mean, I know it'll be slow, 'cause you don't trust me -understandably- but I wanna try. The kid's mine, you know? I had an epiphany, let's say," he chuckled, eyeing Aurora with a sudden, unmistakable sense of love in his eyes, mostly when seeing she had inherited a little of him in her eye colour. "I dunno, you don't have to agree, but I want to be there now. Plus I like you. Like, not just in some little crush way--"

"Ajax, please don't make this more complicated--"

"Tate, shush," he tutted quickly, unaware his admission was just going to complicate things, when he shared the same feelings as Beckett did toward Anael. "But I can wait. I know I ain't that trustworthy, but I can prove people wrong, hm?"​

Upon hearing Ajax speak, her smile dropped slightly and she would stand up, returning the greeting before listening to him. Eyeing her sister, the brunette would ask her, "Wasn't he in a relationship earlier?" Dumah smirked and nodded in response before crossing her arms, "He got dumped." "Right. And involved again? Ajax, you've never been involved. You never wanted to be and I respected that both times you have told me that. And you're right, it will be slow and I don't trust you at all. I don't have a reason to."

Aurora would shy into Ana whenever Ajax would look at her and whispered, "Mommy, is he one of my uncles too?" Cooing sweetly, she brushed her fingers through her hair and nodded, "Yes, he is." She stuck true to respect Ajax's wishes and made sure Aurora didn't call him her father and surely enough did she forgot easily. She wasn't going to start know telling her daughter that Ajax was her father just to keep her from getting upset and confused if the other male decided to back out again. It wasn't worth it.

"I used to be in love with you." Dumah remembered whenever she had been very clearly in her mind, it'd taken her sister months to get over the dark haired man, "Three years ago, I still was. I'm over it now and I'm not just going to..be with you again that easily and everything is fine, no, but if you really, truly want to be involved with Aurora and be in her life. I'll give you you a chance."

"So you're willing to give me a chance yet you say that sort of stuff to her? God Ana, that's not smart-- I'm your Dad, alright? Your complete waste of space, oaf of a father, who's gonna be around from this point forth-- you have to be truthful, because I'm not going to let your down. Hey, I'd quite like to date you again, but even if you don't want to, I'm not gonna just walk away. I want to be a father, got that?" He sighed, the sudden show of fire and passion something he had previously lacked, but it was hard to after receiving the epiphany and the sudden and abrupt longing to be a father, after missing five years. Two of them hadn't been his fault, in all honesty, though he had fucked up big time for the following three.

"Here's my number, so... in case something happens with Aurora, or in case you want me to mind her -me and my family, rest assured-, it's there. I won't be expecting any flirty texts, relax," he grinned, that handsome smile easily lighting the uniquely coloured eyes Aurora herself now had. "I do like you though, Ana. I don't normally go back to girls I've already... y'know, slept with, but you're... you're such a sweet person, and I'm an asshole, but I reckon we could work one day, hm~? You and I both know you have a soft spot for me~"​

Pursing her lips, she stared straight into Ajax and told him, "You don't get to tell me what's smart. You never had to listen to her ask me who her father was, constantly because people kept telling her how strange it was that she didn't have a father. Who the hell says that to a toddler?! I only just got her to realize that it's okay that she didn't grow up with one. But I get it, you want to be a father and I'm going to let y-" She looked down to see that Aurora looked confused and trying to comprehend what he had just said, mumbling out, "W-why did he..s-say that..?" "...Because he really is your father, baby.." "B-but.."

Ana picked up her daughter, who'd look at the man again before hiding her face into her mother's neck and covering her ears and the woman sighed, "I was going to explain it to her who you are if you had given me the chance. As you can see, she's not very good at handling news like that. She gets stressed and upset. I would've told you, but I didn't expect you to do that. Too late now..."

Taking up his number and just putting it in her pocket, she in return gave him her business card, since she had her work number on there. He could just get her number from there just as easily, "Here. If you want to see Aurora, just call me. And we'll see about that. Just..not right now. But I'm not saying it won't happen." She fell quiet, rubbing her little girl's back. There was still plenty Ajax didn't know about his daughter, but she assumed they would get around to that at some point. There was no was he wasn't going to find it weird that she refused to be in her true form when it came to that.

"No offence and all that, but I'm not the bad guy completely, but whatever, that's not entirely important," he shrugged quietly, biting hard on his cheek to force himself not to comment on the girl's whines. He found them annoying, because he had somewhat assumed that his daughter would be like him, but apparently not. But that was okay... sort of. He did love her, he always had - he just feared the responsibility and not being able to still live the life he had for decades.

But that wasn't the most important thing now, he realised that. At least he had while she was still young, so he had a chance at being a good father, because he had that in him. He was kind, and sweet, and likeable, so if any of the brothers had the capacity to be a good Dad, it would be either him or Beau chosen and thought of first. "Look, you don't need to react so badly, gosh. Having a Dad is cool, I guess. It's confusing, right? It'll be fine, you'll get used to me. You can do all the goody angel stuff with your Mom, and then when I'm watching you, we can do the fun stuff. Demons have more fun, doll," he said with a quiet and encouraging smile, not expecting a reply from her - it was too soon for that, he knew she was bound to be a little puzzled for now. "Look, Ana, just get her home, but maybe bring her tomorrow? I want to spend some time with her and stuff, and if you don't trust me, you can just wait here with Dumah and Tate."​

"I never said that you were the bad guy. Wasn't thinking it either.." At what he'd say to reassure his daughter, she nearly rolled her eyes at his angel comment, for he was in for a bit of surprise. Aurora looked over to her father curiously, sniffling a little as she listened. Looking to her mother for reassurance that everything was okay, Ana would whisper something else into her ear that seemed to do the trick for the child as she looked back up to Ajax, "A-are you going to make me have a s-swear jar?"

The brunette rolled her eyes at Aurora's only comment and huffed, "There she is." The little girl grinned mischievously at her mother at her reaction and giggled as she wiped her eyes, calming down for the sake of her mother, even though she was still trying to process everything through, "I'm kidding.." Her aquamarine orbs strayed to her aunt and she made a face. Dumah grinned at that, chuckling at her before saying, "Oh, uh, Ajax, your daughter is equal parts angel and demon or...actually, succubus." Ana nodded and smiled weakly before adding quietly, "She acts just like you, or at least reminds me of you. I mean..she's really shy whenever she meets new people and gets upset like that sometimes but..she takes after you a lot. I'll bring her to come and see you tomorrow if that's what you'd like. You deserve to spend time with her alone, I guess, but Dumah will be around...right?" Her sister nodded in reassurance and she smiled slightly in return at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Yes, thanks, I sort of guessed she was a mix," he snorted, leaning back against the wall again as he quietly admired the girl, managing to hide his surprise well at hearing she was a succubus - it probably meant she received that from his mother, it possibly passing through him. Sure, it would be tough being a succubus, but he was hardly going to turn his back on her for that. "That's cool. Do you realise how rare succubus are? She's a pretty special kid, huh? Kyon's an incubus, so... they can always just hang out when they're older, I guess. I want them to have a bond. I mean, in general, I want Aurora around my family, because she's part of us all too."

He cracked his knuckles quietly once pocketing the number, eyes straying to Dumah when learning she would be there when Aurora came tomorrow, simply smiling at the idea. He knew he was bound to have someone around just in case, and he at least was determined to prove himself so he could then take Aurora out alone in the future. "That's cool, me and Dumah get on like a house on fire, don't we~?"​

"But you didn't know that bit." Dumah grinned at him cheekily before Ana would nod at his words, nudging her nose into Aurora's cheek, "You hear that? Being what you are makings you special, baby girl." The brunette puffed her cheeks, crossing her arms in response. Knowing her daughter was adamant on not wanting to except herself for how she was truly, she's give up and sigh softly before answering Ajax, "Of course I want Aurora around your family. Or else she wouldn't be here, y'know? I'm not cruel..just protective."

Grinning even more wickedly as his reference , the onyx haired woman chuckled in amusement and Ana made a small face, "Uh..don't encourage her. She actually has lit a house on fire. Multiple times. Our own." She'd also burned down an entire town to where it no longer existed, but she knew Dumah would never share that with anyone, not even Tate. It was kind of difficult to explain and she wasn't up to do it now. Anael smiled politely before saying as she watched Aurora yawn, "I guess I should get going then."

"Yeah, I guess." Ajax smiled, quietly fiddling with his hands out of awkwardness, even if he kept a smile on his face. He would have leant to peck her cheek, mostly out of social politeness, but that did seem a tad too early to be that comfortable with her, hence his resistance. "I'll see you tomorrow though?

"I'm going to check on Beckett," Tate sighed, only now choosing to speak up given he had had nothing to say beforehand, and unlike Asher, he chose not to speak if he didn't have to. Asher was someone who tended to talk and get himself involved; Tate was the complete opposite, and right now, despite feeling more than proud of Ajax for taking responsibility and genuinely seeming like he wanted to be around Aurora, he couldn't help feeling sympathetic towards Beckett. And while he knew he would just get yelled at by his older brother, he knew he probably had to at least show up and check if he was alright. it was the brotherly thing to do. "...Do you want to come, Dumah? He won't yell if you're there."​

Ana would nod in response before going over to pull her sister into a short hug and kissing her cheek affectionately. She would tell him reassuringly, "Tomorrow." Right now, she didn't really want anything romantic with him, but even if she did, it would still take a while for her to come around and want to again. As of now, she just wanted him to have a good relationship with his daughter now that he was more that willing to be.

Despite, even though she didn't like him to the relationship kind of like, the woman did feel slightly guilty for being attracted to his brother. But it wasn't like it was being pursued. Even though she wouldn't kiss him on the cheek or hug him goodbye, Aurora would as Anael brought her closer to him and gestured. The little girl leaned in close and put her arms around his neck before pulling away to hide her face into her mother's neck as they both disappeared.

Dumah would nod in response to his question, smiling weakly for he wasn't the only one who felt bad for him, "Yeah, I'll come." She would take up his hand and press a kiss to his shoulder sweetly and followed with him.

"I can't really help feeling bad for him, you know," he said quietly once away from Ajax, just to ensure he didn't have to hear the comments. It was hard, having to protect both his older brothers, be he was at least adamant: he didn't want Beckett to feel this bad, and likewise, he didn't want Ajax to get mad if he found out Beckett's feelings. Though expectantly, something would happen and cause them to be found out eventually. If not now, sometime in the future.

"He'll either hide it with anger, or do something dumb like just keeping it to himself and finding a girlfriend, someone other than Anael. He does that sort of thing all the time, doesn't do what he wants to-- though I wouldn't recommend he ask Ana out, to be honest. It'd just be... too complicated, so it's sort of good he decided not to," he smiled, realising that it was somewhat mean to think of that, but wasn't it for the best that it hadn't turned out the way Beckett had wanted? "He'll find someone new, if he puts his mind to it. He's had a few girlfriends, over the years."​

Status
Not open for further replies.