Open Your Heart. (Draco/Oc) (potassiumboron/Severu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neville crossed his arms, standing behind Karina.
Draco was acting awfully angry about his wife wanting to know things.
It made Neville a bit mad, honestly.
Why shouldn't she know?

Atropa received an owl and left right away, apparating into Draco's department.
Seeing Draco with two other people, one was Neville, the other had to be Karina.
Taking a deep breath, she walked up to them, crossing her arms as well.
"Hello." She said, examining Karina closely.
She was pretty. Prettier than her.

"I feel that it's time we all talk."

"So me telling you wasn't enough for you, was it?" Draco sighed, not wanting to create a scene and shot a glare at a nearby man who was curiously looking in on the group. Turning in his seat to face his wife with a flat sigh, she did make sense - perhaps it was best to just clear the air, even if Karina's frowns weren't something he really anticipated, but he let that slide by for the moment. "Talking should help, hm?"

"Yeah... i-it should." Karina swallowed hard, eyeing Atropa with sudden nervousness. She recognised her from school, and had always been wary of anyone she deemed 'cool', and she always had thought Atropa was. But seeing how sleep deprived and thin she was just stirred more and more guilt around, especially with the secret she had yet to admit to. "I... I am sorry, I just... I didn't think about anyone else, and it's selfish, and I'm... sorry."

"Let's not, Draco." Atropa replied coolly, eyeing him. She wasn't in the mood for his stupid anger.
He'd been angry at her for everything lately, and she was getting really tired of it.
Now that they were all here, maybe they could get past everything.

"It's perfectly fine. I just thought it was best to clear the air, and talk, like adults."
Looking around at the curious people gazing at them, she cleared her throat.

"Maybe we should go somewhere more private."

"Let's just go down to the library. It's never busy in there. Nobody bothers looking at records unless a really bad problem occurs," Karina suggested quietly, already sensing the tension between the two, and knew it'd only grow worse when she had to come clean with the news.

But she only planned on admitting that the second they were in peace and quiet and away from prying eyes, so opted to lead them all, all while reaching to hold onto Neville's hand tightly, for nothing but moral support which she was practically craving just to keep herself together at that moment.

Atropa nodded, following her lead. She noticed Karina holding Neville's hand, and frowned.
She was involved with someone else already. Interesting.

When they reached the library, it was empty, and quiet.
"So, I can tell you have something to tell us." She said to Karina, crossing her arms again.

"I... well," she sighed, taking a seat as he eyes flickered from a stern Atropa to a now very much bored Draco, whom of which was fiddling with his wand out of that very boredom, not entirely paying notice to what was going on. Sighing heavily at that, the girl bit on her lip, taking one last peek at Neville before swallowing hard in determination. Like ripping off a band-aid.

"I'm... pregnant," she finally blurted, albeit in a quiet and completely small voice. "With D-Draco's child."

"You're what?" Draco spoke up eventually after a period of stark silence, his eyes widening in shock - he hadn't quite expected to hear anything like that, and once digesting the words, let an expression show on his face: disgust. "Atropa, I... I didn't... know, I swear, ah..."

Neville held his breath as Karina announced it.
Grabbing her hand, Neville looked at the other two, waiting for their responses.
Draco looked disgusted, and stuttered out that he knew nothing about it to Atropa, who just looked...
Cold. Emotionless.

Atropa felt like someone had punched her. She couldn't breathe.
Draco looked disgusted, though she wasn't sure why.
His mistress had done something she couldn't.
She'd given him a child.

"I see." Atropa whispered, nodding curtly.
She wouldn't allow herself to cry. Not now. Not in front of everyone.

"Well, thank you.. Um. Thank you for telling me."
She turned to Draco, and then back to Karina, a smile plastered onto her face.
"If you need any financial aid, please don't be afraid to let me know."
And with that, she turned and apparated back home.

As soon as she arrived home, she ran for the garbage can in the kitchen, vomiting violently into it.
Gasping, she wiped at her mouth, and sunk to the floor, crying into her arms.

Karina grimaced, knowing that behind the coldness was bound to be upset, and when she apparated, she knew it was just to hide oncoming tears - if situations were reversed, Karina knew she would be in tears and wouldn't have the strength to hide it back until she was in private. Finally sighing to herself, feeling a weight off her shoulders -but guilt still stirring in her-, she took a wary peek at Draco who had stared after his wife with a forlorn frown. "Draco? I--"

"Don't. Just... don't," he sighed, swallowing hard himself as he finally shot her a look. In his mind, he had two options: to support Karina and his child, but lose a marriage with Atropa over it, knowing she probably couldn't cope, or choose to work on being with her, however hard it was now, and turn his back on Karina in the meantime.

And whether it was right or not, he opted for the latter - Atropa meant far too much to him to just lose her, and so, without so much as a word, he apparated after her with the need to just... apologise, leaving Karina staring quietly at the spot with a sudden whimper. "...See? I shouldn't h-have said anything, Neville."

---

"Atropa?" Draco whispered once arriving home to see his wife, the person he loved more than life itself, cuddled into herself and sobbing - clearly, she was distraught, and the sight made his own eyes glass over a little, though didn't dare approach in case she just reacted badly against it.

"I... don't want anything to do with her, o-or... the child," he spoke softly, folding his arms to try and hold himself together. "I want to work on us. There's... still an 'us', right?"

Neville stood in front of her, grabbing her hand.
"No, it's good that you did. Draco is an ass, we already knew that.. Atropa seemed upset, but.. She doesn't hate you. I didn't feel that."
Smiling softly, he kissed her cheek.

"It will be okay. I'm here for you."

He knew it hadn't gone well, exactly, but at least there had been no hitting or screaming.
"Would you like to go home for the day?" He asked her.

==================

Atropa looked up at Draco at the sound of his voice.
Wiping at her eyes, she stood, grabbing a tissue to blow her nose.
She was sure her eyes and nose were bright red.

She began laughing, shaking her head as she held her stomach, which hurt when she laughed.
"I look like a fool, don't I?" She asked, chuckling once more before taking a breath and standing straight.

"I'm an idiot. I can't give you a child, but she can, and here I am, crying about it like I'm insane."
Her smile was bitter as she went to the sink to wash her hands.
"I'm sorry you had to see that. I'm fine, really. I don't see her pregnancy as a reason to ruin us, our marriage."

Turning to Draco, Atropa leaned against the sink.
"I'll understand if you want to see the child."

"I... I just need a bath-- can I stay the night at yours? Well, I'll be moving in soon, so... a-anyway, I just need some of your amazing cooking and... and a bath," she admitted as she moved in, pressing closer towards him in gratitude that he was at least still standing by her.

If he turned his back -however unlikely-, she would have had no support and nowhere to go, and with Draco obviously not on board with helping out, she would have had to raise a child alone.

Luckily, though, that wasn't the reality she had to face, smiling across at Neville again as reconfirmation that she was hardly alone. "How about some soup or something easy? I don't want to be a pain..."

---

"You lost one child, Atropa... I've told you w-we can try again, there's nothing saying you can't have a child," he sighed, albeit shakily as he took a seat at the table. The fact she was acting strong just made this ten times worse - he knew she put on the strong face, but was more than likely breaking on the inside, that of which he really really couldn't stand.

"I don't want t-to have anything to do with it, or Karina, o-or anything, okay? I just want to focus on you and me and... us. I've fucked up, I know," he whispered, taking that moment to digest the whole situation again. "...And all I want is to focus on me and you, okay? And... work on our marriage, and... maybe be back to how we were?"

"Of course." Neville replied, smiling softly.
He knew she needed to relax now, and he'd do everything he could to help her.
"Luckily I had a new bath installed recently. It's large, and has jets, if you want to use them."
He himself liked taking baths, though he wouldn't admit it out loud.

"Don't worry, I already had something planned for dinner. You just take a bath, and let me cook."
Smiling, Neville held her hand and apparated them to his house, unlocking the door for them.

He planned on making chicken and dumplings for dinner tonight. It was simple, but easy on the stomach, and filling.

===========

Atropa nodded, biting her lip. She hadn't told Draco that the doctor had let her know she had a very slim chance of having a child.
It was possible- but it would be difficult.
"It's just like a slap in the face." She told him, sighing.

Looking down at the floor, Atropa cleared her throat.
"I don't think we'll ever go back to the way we were, Draco."
It was the truth. They couldn't go back.

"But, I want to work on us anyway, and make our relationship stronger. Better than before."
Smiling sadly, Atropa walked over to him and wrapped her arms around him, letting herself relax against him.

"Oh, that sounds amazing," she immediately gushed, the thought of just a simple bath being music to her ears, but one like Neville described sounded like Heaven itself. In short, she was evidently going to accept and anticipated she would spend a great deal of time just relaxing... and probably crying too but she left that out of things.

Wandering into his home -her home in a few days, really-, she quickly turned to place a firm kiss on his lips, hands absently on his chest as she offered a smile up to him with a content sigh. At least she didn't feel rubbish about the situation when he was around. "I don't tell you how much I appreciate what you're doing for me, Neville. It's amazing, honestly."

----------

"How can we make our relationship better if we can't be how we were before? We were amazing before, Atropa," he sighed heavily, the sadness etched on her expression causing his own to be marred with upset, peering down at her through apologetic and clearly remorseful eyes. "I want to work towards how we were before-- it's not impossible. It just doesn't seem plausible at the moment... that's all! W-We can't give up, on anything. On that, or on a child... we have to try and be optimists, Atropa."

~Seven Months Later~

Neville had spent the last seven months helping Karina get settled into his house,
and buy everything she'd need for the baby, when it arrived.
He'd been working extra hours at the department to save up and buy a few surprises for her, here and there.
Always trying to make sure she was happy and comfortable.

And now, here it was, almost time for the baby to be born. Neville was excited, but also nervous.
After all, he'd never had children, and he hadn't known his own father.

Today was Saturday, a day off, so he'd been spending it in the kitchen mostly.
He was trying out a few new recipes he'd seen online, and they'd all come out looking delicious.
Karina had still been sleeping last he'd checked on her. It was still early morning.

====================

The past seven months had been difficult for Atropa. She'd been faking happiness and optimism, trying to pretend everything was fine.
Draco couldn't seem to grasp the fact that they would never be the same, not after something like what had happened to them.
As time went on, Atropa found herself spending more and more late nights at work, losing track of time.
She enjoyed staying late and grading as it got her mind off her home troubles.
And of course, Adrian was always there, too.
She'd been enjoying his company, though she hadn't crossed the line into an affair yet.

She sometimes felt that she could. She could give in so easily and just... Kiss him, just sleep with him.
She could understand how Draco had fallen into Karina's arms.
But she held herself back, politely declining his invitations for dinner or coffee.

Adrian knew she was married. But even so, he continued to invite her out.

When Saturday finally rolled around, Atropa found herself awake early, as she had been doing before she and Draco had reconciled.
The sun was barely up, but she took her shower and got dressed, taking a seat at the kitchen table with a cup of hot tea.
She'd decided to paint that morning. Something she hadn't done in a while.
The picture had started as a blue of color, and she realized as she continued, it was a portrait of Draco.
It wasn't his happy face, but his sad face, the one she had begun to expect of him lately.
She was concentrating so much that she hadn't even realized her tea had gone cold.

And for once in her life, the one time she truly needed it and in spite of everything, the seven months had treated Karina well - though most of that was because of Neville.

He had ensured she'd had an easy time of it, and he was the reason she had managed to hold herself together when times got a little tough, whether it be the physicality of pregnancy, or the mental heartache that Draco hadn't bothered with her (at work, he had proceeded to ignore her very existence, and refuse to acknowledge her when she had begun to show): in spite of all that, Neville had been a constant supportive boyfriend, and one she had easily begun to love more than anything.

Wearily trailing into the kitchen that morning, glad it was a weekend so Neville was around -it was boring being alone when he was at work- and fastened the silk robe around herself with a smile, affectionately pecking his cheek as she took a seat at the table, a hand rested automatically on her protruding stomach to calm what would be assumed to be kicks. "Why do you get up so early on weekends, Neville?" She yawned, leaning back with a sleepy look behind her eyes. For the last four months of those seven, she had often just slept in Neville's bed alongside him - that had seemed natural and at least proved how much she did dote on him in their relationship. "I like sleeping in beside you, silly."

---

Draco wasn't stupid.

No, he knew that the extra hours probably weren't all to just have some time to herself, but he did feel perhaps there was someone else. Even if he didn't think she was cheating physically yet, emotionally? He was certain she had thoughts of someone else.

If anyone knew, he would. He knew the tell-tale signs, after having cheated himself, and he realised that one argument between them could just send her into someone's arms - whom of which he assume correctly to be the Adrian guy she mentioned now and then. He now thought himself idiotic for thinking the man to be a platonic friend.

So, with that in mind, Draco was walking on eggshells around her, fearing that he'd just upset her whenever he said something and cause her to have an affair - though if she did, how could he really be mad? He had done the same, and it had resulted in a child being conceived-- that of which he had paid no notice to. The whole pregnancy, he had stayed away, thankful when Karina took maternity leave. It made work a hell of a lot easier not to see her happily chatting to the women of the office about the baby, and having a motherly glow to her. He just didn't need that, and didn't intend to grow any paternal feelings whatsoever.

He had chosen Atropa over the kid, and he was still determined to make his marriage work... even if it was hurtling down faster than he imagined it would. Hell, he often slept in the spare room in his fear of upsetting her.

"Is that me?" He asked, trailing into the kitchen in a baggy shirt and shorts, not bothering to look as pristine as he usually would, even for a weekend - he just didn't care that much anymore. A smile lit all the same at the sight, contrasting the sad expression of the portrait. "It's brilliant, love-- Hey, wanna go out tonight? For an Italian meal? A date, maybe?"

Neville smiled when Karina entered the kitchen, kissing his cheek gently.
He put the carefully made cake he'd just finished decorating on the counter, looking at it proudly.
He'd made it with white cake mix, and he'd added coconut and chocolate chips for the filling.
The frosting was a buttercream with powdered sugar and chocolate chips to make it look pretty.

"I like to have plenty of time to try new recipes." He said, smiling.

"I was thinking you and I should go out tonight for dinner." He said to her, turning from the cake.
Taking a seat at the table with Karina, he put a hand on her stomach and grinned.
"It won't be much longer now, will it?" He asked, eyes lit up with excitement.

==========

Atropa looked up when Draco entered, and smiled. He looked so cute when he first woke up.
Dabbing the last bit of paint onto the canvas, she sighed and stood, stretching.
"I'm glad you can recognize it. I don't think I've got the eyes quite right." She told him, kissing his cheek as she passed by him to pour her tea out.

His smile could light up the whole world, Atropa thought to herself, feeling suddenly sentimental and sad at the same time.
She really loved him, she knew it, down to her core.
It had been a tough road, but she wanted him more than anything else, despite her emotional attraction to Adrian.
She needed to ignore it.

"A date sounds wonderful." She replied, grinning at him.

"Mm, any day now, huh?" She hummed thoughtfully, smiling wide at the excitement practically radiating off him - Draco may not had cared whatsoever, but Neville made up for up tenfold. Peering across at the cake, she did find herself just smiling a tad wider.

It was all incredibly homely, and while she had never anticipated anything like it, given most her adult life had been spent alone in a little apartment and with her two cats, it was something she did genuinely now love. The house, the boyfriend and now the baby.

"You're perfect, Neville. I'd love to go out for dinner-- not that we can go for a walk on the promenade like usual. Not until the baby's here, hm?" She grinned, moving to put her hand over his habitually. "What do you think it'll be, boy or girl~? I mean, I like the surprise of it all, but it's fun to guess."

---

"No, it's great. I look sad, but I guess that's a reflection on how I've been lately," he admitted, knowing the last seven months hadn't exactly been the easiest times. He knew he'd been sad a lot, upset, but it wasn't out of anger, but mostly just the guilt eating him away.

And for that, he could hardly blame her for spending so much time away. Not just because of the baby, but because he'd hardly been the best company. But he planned to change that today, with the date. Start afresh, and be a couple again, because he did love her more than anything else.

"...Atropa, this Adrian guy," he finally mumbled, deciding that the truth was always the best. It was hard, but it could at least give them a clean page to work on. "...Do you fancy him? I... I notice that you don't come home and... I dunno, I hear things at work. Some of the girls with kids at Hogwarts say to me that you're always with him, that the kids are noticing 'chemistry' and... I just wanna know," he said softly, anger void from his face, which revealed nothing but desperation at this point. "I love you, and I know I've messed up, so if there's... any connection with him, I'd rather know now than let it escalate."

Neville grinned at her. He was always smiling nowadays.
She had been upset when Draco had rejected her, but she seemed happy now, too.
Neville wanted her to be happy, more than anything else in the world.

He'd never imagined his life could be this happy.
In fact, Neville had always imagined being alone all his life.
His plants, his cats, and that was it.

"We're perfect." He told her, kissing her softly.
Smiling, he thought for a moment.
"I think it's going to be a girl, honestly." He told her, nodding solemnly.
He didn't mind if it was a girl- he would love to have a little girl.

====================

"It's how you always used to look, even back at school." She told him, smiling sadly.
He had always seemed so sad. But he'd had reason to be, back then.
He had reason to be sad now, too, really.

Atropa wanted him to be happy, she wanted to be happy too.

Draco's next words made Atropa feel sick. She knew it would come up eventually.
"I.. It's hard to say, exactly." She answered honestly.

"I like him, yes. He's good looking, and he's very nice. But I haven't done anything that would put our relationship at risk.
He's asked me out a lot of times, but I've told him no. I'm married."
Letting out a breath she'd been holding, she turned to Draco.

"I'm sorry. I promise, I'm not going to do anything with him."

"I'd love a girl! Then again, I'd equally adore a little boy. Either way, we're getting an adorable baby, aren't we? And... Draco doesn't know what he's missing, huh?" She tiredly smiled -sleep was hard nowadays, quite understandably- before easing to press a kiss back in return for a moment, only until a sharp kick against her ribs pulled her back with a small wince.

"Ah, ouch... nn, anyway, the baby's taking my surname," she decided easily, given it wasn't too hard to decide that when Draco hadn't given any attention to her and the baby. "And even if Draco wants to be involved, I won't let him. It's too late. I'm happy it just being me, you, the baby and the cats~"

---

Silence presumed, with Draco taking a seat once pouring the coffee out for himself and adding a great deal of sugar for the boost, and for the fact it tended to help him relax.

Finally, though, with the silence growing intensely awkward, he finally lifted his eyes to meet hers, a smile breaking his lips even if it was clearly pained - now he understood just how horrible she must have felt, even if he had committed a lot worse. "

If you do, I can't really say anything, can I? I've done worse, and I'm trying so hard to make this work, so just... stop spending time at work and come home occasionally, so I can make dinner and get back on track again, please? And if I ever see this Adrian bloke, I probably won't be responsible for my actions, so don't bring him around, hm?"

"Yeah, adorable!" Neville agreed, though secretly, he was worried.
He continued to forget that it wasn't his baby, it was Draco's, and thus, wouldn't look anything like him.
Every time that thought hit him, he became gloomy.

"He's an idiot." Neville replied, laughing.
He didn't know, and would never know, his child.

"He doesn't deserve to be involved now." He told her, looking at her in concern.
"You alright?"

=====================

His smile was so sad that Atropa wanted to cry.
She knew how it felt to be on the other end of an affair- even if she hadn't done anything yet.
It was horrible.

"I think I may take a different job." She told Draco, taking a seat at the table.
It was something she'd been thinking about for a few weeks.
"I don't want to do anything. And I can't make him quit, so.. Maybe I'll get a job somewhere else."
She didn't want to, but...

"I can't let anything happen to put distance between us again.. Not like before."

"Just some general kicks. He-- or she, is pretty lively," she murmured, forcing herself not to wince again - seeing Neville worry was hardly something she enjoyed to witness, so hiding the pain from the kicks seemed to be the most suitable option.

"I wish it was yours, though," she finally admitted, seeming to at least sense his slight hesitance and finding herself feel a pang of guilt for it. "I mean, Draco doesn't want anything to do with him or her, I know that, and... you're so up for it-- as far as I'm concerned, you're practically the father, Neville. I love you so much, and... just know that I intend on us being a family."

---

"You're not leaving your job," he chortled quietly, somewhat touched by the fact she was willing to go to that extreme just to avoid Adrian... though a niggling voice at the back of his head also noted that it did speak volumes.

Did she not have enough confidence in herself to keep knocking off Adrian?

Then again, it probably was annoying, but enough to warrant losing her dream job for? Though, being Draco, he didn't let onto that in fear he'd just upset her, smiling brightly instead in reassurance. "Hey, I trust you, and the guy will back down eventually, won't he? Especially if we work on our marriage and strengthen it, so he'll get the message-- now how about breakfast? I'll cook. You may have forgotten, but I'm pretty good at this cooking lark... I think. You eat it, so it can't be too bad, huh~?"

Status
Not open for further replies.