Open Your Heart. (Draco/Oc) (potassiumboron/Severu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neville took a bite of his own dinner, glad it tasted good.
He poured his bowl of sauce over the chicken, making it taste even better.
Getting up, he grabbed a cup of ice water for Karina, and a cup of milk for himself.
"The sauce makes it taste much better, and you can't taste the wine at all." He told her, smiling.

---------

"Yes, luckily." Atropa replied, laughing. She loved Slytherin, but not as much as Draco.
She'd already finished half her plate, and was feeling quite warm and happy.
She wondered, quietly, and to herself, why Adrian had wanted help when he'd already known what to do.
Shrugging to herself, she took another bite.

"Of course not!" She replied, smiling.

"I think I'd like to make something... Home-y tomorrow. Fried chicken, maybe?" She asked, finishing off her plate.
There was still food left, but she didn't want to seem like a pig.

"It smells delicious," she quietly agreed, noting that her food was dry and that the sauce would obviously make it a more enjoyable meal, but the sauce wasn't entirely an option, reaching to take a large gulp of her water to wet her mouth and swallow down the mashed potato, which she id note were mashed to perfection. She couldn't have done that, and as such, she did earn a great admiration for her friend by now.

"I just... I don't want the wine, Neville," she said calmly, folding a leg over the other as she rested back a moment, dabbing her mouth with the napkin. "Anyway... did I miss anything in work? I heard that one witch managed to burn down her home near Teswood Estate with Muggles around. I bet the paperwork for that is intense, huh?"

---

"Fried chicken sounds amazing-- you won't be working later again then, I assume?" He murmured, biting on his lip to not let his bitterness show towards her staying late. "I mean, ah... I don' t want you staying late again, if you can help it, because I do actually want to come home from work, and chill out with you before we make dinner, you know? I get that you have to work, but try not to stay late again~"

At Karina's words, Neville had a sinking feeling that he knew what was going on.
Why she'd been crying, why she'd been gone...
Why she didn't want anything with alcohol in it.

"Karina.." He began, putting his plate down.

"Are you.. Are you pregnant?" He asked, staring at her.

--------------

"I'll try not to. Tomorrow is Saturday, so I don't need to work." She told him, sticking her tongue out.
Grabbing her plate, she went to the sink and rinsed it, putting it in the dishwasher.

"I'll try to get home on time. I've got a lot more grading to do now, since testing is soon."
She hated staying late, but it was important.

Hesitating, she dropped her fork and knife onto her plate in evident surprise, that in itself proving the truth of Neville's words, even if she attempted to argue against the looming realisation. "What?" She laughed, the strained tone to it being something even she couldn't deny, and eventually, after a few minutes of awkward silence, finally cracked with a small whimper, her shoulders caving inward in that display of vulnerability.

"I... I don't wanna be, Neville," she finally admitted, nibbling on a loose nail anxiously. "D-Draco and his wife need to be happy, not... know about this, understand? D-Draco doesn't need to know. I... I'm only two months gone, anyway. I'll just play it off that I had a one night stand with a stranger or something. I... spent the last few days just... panicking, haha. It'll be fine... I... I'm just scare," she grimaced, feeling tears build up again at her admissions, holding her face behind her hands in clear embarrassment. "...Have I fucked things up between us? Yeah? Course I did..."

---

"Oh, it's the weekend! I forgot," he smiled. it had been a long week, made longer not having Karina around, her chatter that filled the obvious usually making things go quicker time wise, even if work was held up by it. "...I know you have to mark, Atropa-- maybe I can come along and keep you company? I haven't set foot in Hogwarts since leaving. I'd love to come back, actually..."

Neville's heart dropped when she admitted it.
It was true, Draco and Atropa didn't need it. She'd lost their child recently, and they hadn't gotten pregnant again...
To have his mistress get pregnant.. It would be a slap in the face.
But he still deserved to know.

"You haven't ruined anything between us, Karina. It was before we began dating."
He smiled gently, taking her hand and squeezing it softly.
"I know that... You didn't want this.. But you should tell Draco. He deserves to know."

-------------

"It seemed like this week went by so fast." She said, smiling.
Hearing Draco want to come with her, she grinned.
"Of course! That would be wonderful!"

"I-I'm not telling Draco, Nev," she grimaced, the thought of ruining whatever he and Atropa had making her feel horrible, arms tightening around his midsection absently. "I've decided that I'm just going to pretend it's not his. He doesn't -and shouldn't- have his marriage ruined because of this, a-and while I know he should know, I-I don't want to tell him and ruin things for him. I can d-deal with this by myself-- I don't expect you to get involved," she admitted quietly. As helpful and kind and sweet as Neville was, this was bound to be awkward for him, and expecting him to help her out for the following seven months didn't seem... right. "I'm okay if you just want to keep your distance, really. I know you care, but it's awkward, huh?"

---

"You can just show me your classroom, and I'll help you mark-- even if I was always stumbling my way through Potions class," he grinned, remembered distinctly his constant pleading of Atropa to help him out - something that was always picked up by the Gryffindors who teased him relentlessly for it.

Well, when they were sure he wasn't going to rise and snap at them in return.​

"Draco isn't stupid. He'll figure it out eventually."
Neville knew this to be true. Draco would never buy her 'one night stand' story.

Sighing, Neville pulled his hand back.
"I want to be here for you. I like you, Karina, and this isn't going to change that."

---

Atropa grinned back at him, taking his plate and putting it in the dishwasher, too.
As she grabbed the rest of the food, putting it in bowls to put in the fridge, she shook her head.
"You were so miserable in Potions." She teased, laughing.

She'd been the top student, and she'd loved the class.
Not only was she good at it, but she'd secretly had a crush on Professor Snape.
At first.

"I know he won't, he's smart," she cringed, finally coming to that realisation now Neville had convinced her of it, and the thought of hurting that marriage any further was horrible to her, but it couldn't be helped now. "I'll tell Draco when I see him, then. I... I guess you'll be supporting me, and... and Nev, I appreciate that so much more than anything, seriously. You're... such a sweet guy, and I f-feel awful about... bringing you into the drama, aha... I didn't want that at all..."

---

"I liked it, though. Just 'cause I was rubbish didn't mean I didn't like it," he grinned, though one of the main reasons was seeing the Gryffindors get shouted at for most the lesson - that had always been a favourite memory for him. "But yeah, you always had that natural talent for it-- I always knew Snape favoured you over everyone else."

"Good.. I'm sorry you have to do this." He told her, patting her hand gently.
It was going to br hard for everyone. He couldn't imagine how Atropa was going to react.

"Don't worry about it. You're worth it."

------

"I know. I thought it was cute. "
Shed always enjoyed lessons with him.

"Hmm. I suppose." She replied, sticking her tongue out.
A faint blush spread across her cheeks.

"...Thanks," she sighed quietly, leaning across to peck his lips as both a show of gratitude, and for the fact his words, as sweet and kind as ever, deserved a little affection from her. She was determined, however disastrous things turned out with Draco and Atropa, that she and Neville could have a stable relationship - it was what she wanted most at the moment. "...It'll be fine, I-I'm sure... right...?"

---

"No, honestly. He was always fussing over you, showing your work to the class," he grinned, having always had pride hit him whenever her work was displayed. Noticing the faint blush, a brow arched momentarily, quick mind working to try and determine the reason. "What's up with the blush, huh?"

Neville blushed, smiling from ear to ear.
"N-no problem!"
He was like a schoolboy again.

"Of course. " he replied, taking a drink of his milk. "Either way, ill be here."

---

Atropa blushed deeper, waving Draco off.
"He was not! " she said, laughing.

"Eh? W-what blush?!" She asked, covering her cheeks.

"You're a sweetheart-- and you're an amazing cook," she grinned, having polished her meal off easily - even without the sauce, it had been exceptional, and she silently smiled to herself at the skills to Neville she hadn't had any inkling about - it did make the man far more intriguing than before.

"...Neville, I might just ask them to move me to a different department in the Ministry," she said after a moment of clear contemplation. "I don't think it's wise to be around Draco when... the baby comes, you know? It'll ruin him and Atropa, won't it..."

---

"Did you fancy Professor Snape?" He blurted, though uncharacteristically, didn't break into angered rants and jealous huffs, but instead, a small grin spread across his amused face. "Oh, that's hilarious. That guy was old, Atropa, jeez. Why were you looking at him when I was around? I'm handsomer."

Neville hadn't finished his own dinner, but he knew he would later.
"Thank you." He told her, taking her plate to the sink to wash later.

"I understand. Um. This may be too forward, if so, please forgive me.. But you could stay here, until you found a place.
If you wanted."
He bit his lip, hoping he hadn't overstepped his bounds.
"I mean, I have an extra room I don't use and everything..."

--------

Atropa rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, sighing.
Her cheeks were bright red.

"I.... I may have fancied him. Maybe."
She coughed.
"He was intelligent. And kind to me. B-But of course, I always thought you were better looking!"
She laughed, kissing his cheek softly.

"...Really?" She blinked, evidently taken aback by the sudden offer, though necessarily in a bad way, rather instead that she really hadn't expected it, and it did just confirm all the nice things she thought about Neville, breaking into a wide grin. She wanted a new place, have a fresh start, and if she could crash with Neville a while, it would be a great help.

"Oh... Oh my god. I'd love that! I mean, if I don't annoy you, haha. And my cats have to come, obviously-- and I might not find a place until after... the baby's born," she sighed - coming to terms with the actual baby was still hard to do at the moment. "But I'll be searching all the while and-- I'd love to move in for a bit, Nev. See, this is why I think you're amazing~"

---

"You didn't love him while we were dating, right?" Draco asked, his amusement dying down a moment when that question seemed to pop in his head. He couldn't be mad about it when it had happened years ago, but it was still goo to know, really. "Because if so, it's sorta cheeky of you, hm~?"

Neville grinned at her excitement.
"Bring anything you want! My cats are really sweet, so they should all get along."
He grabbed her hand and squeezed, happy she wasn't weirded out.

"I want to be there for you, every step of the way."

---

"No, I didn't love him." Atropa answered, voice quiet. "Not in the way you're thinking. I admired him. He was... My mentor. I loved him, but I wasn't in love with him."
Her voice had grown sad, remembering him. That, along with Draco's comment, and she wasn't feeling quite as playful anymore.

"You're gonna need to be. I mean, my parents don't live anywhere near, and Draco will just tell me to piss off," she chuckled, knowing the other well enough to know he would freak out and strive to protect Atropa first before anything else... and Karina was expecting just to be told to leave him alone, so knowing she had Neville at her side was a comfort.

No matter how awkward she would feel the longer time went by, and the more she began to show.

"Can I see my new room then?" She grinned playfully, eyeing the living room with a new look behind her eyes - it was where she would be staying until she found herself a new place to accommodate a child - an apartment on the sixth floor just wouldn't do that. "I'll move in in about a month, gives me time to get my place on the market and pack and stuff..."

---

"Hey, I... was just kidding," he murmured uncomfortably, the sudden silence not something he felt right in when he had seemingly caused it, fiddling with his hands just to avoid glancing at her sad expression. "I know you didn't love him, I mean... you've only loved me, and likewise, so..."

"I'm sure he won't." Neville replied, feeling sad.
What if Draco dexided he wanted the baby?
Would he stay with Atropa or not?

"Of course! You've got your own bathtoom too, across the hall."
Neville led her to the front bedroom, it wasn't gigantic, but it was good sized. It had a closet and an empty bed in it at the moment.

----

"I know." Atropa said, turning to him.
His lasy comment had hit her.
"Draco.. did.. did you love her?"

"This is sweet," she smile, deciding herself not to keep going on about Draco, even if she was going to be linked with him for her whole life now she was carrying his child - it was a reason for the two of them to always meet, providing he wanted to be involved in the baby's life.

Sitting on the bed with a hum, she easily managed to place everything she owned into the room with her imagination, deciding it would be perfect. "Honestly, Neville, it's lovely. I... should be able to fit a crib in here-- I won't be here too long, but... just in case things don't go to plan, I guess I need a crib, haha..."

---

Taking a gulp of wine, the boy froze the moment she mentioned that. He realised that they would take about Karina, but to ask that wasn't something he had seen coming, even if he should have expected it once the affair come to light. "Karina?" He murmured, setting the glass down quietly. "...Honestly? No. I cared for her, a great deal. She's my friend, and she listened to me and all that... but I don't feel things for her like I do for you."

"It's nothing." He told her, putting his hands in his pockets.
Neville knew that if Draco decided to be involved with the baby, it would most likely mean the end of his marriage.
It didn't sit well with him, but there was nothing he could do.

"I'll keep an eye out for a nice one." He told Karina, smiling softly.
He himself didn't mind taking care of her and the baby. Having more people in his house would lighten things up.
He was lonely, and the house was far too quiet for his liking.

---------------

"I see." Atropa responded quietly, taking a seat on the sofa.
She wanted to talk about this. About his affair. She had so many questions.
"I want to know more." Atropa told Draco, turning to look at him.
She had the right to ask, after all.

"I just.. I need to know, Draco. I'm a jealous, petty type of woman, and I.. I need to know."
Her voice was quiet, but surprisingly, she wasn't crying.
"Do you find her prettier than me? Is she better in bed?"
They were questions born from jealousy and bad self esteem.
Even if he answered them with answers she didn't want to hear, the truth was better than lies.

She knew Draco would choose his marriage over a child, and Karina was pretty sure that when she told him, he'd just ignore her and probably wouldn't even bother telling Atropa. That was the easiest solution if she were Draco - Atropa and Karina were hardly going to cross paths, and if Draco kept shut about the child, it was hardly going to come to light.

Obviously she wanted Draco involved, only for the baby... but she was already coming to terms with the negative reaction Draco would give, and yet that wasn't entirely making her feel hopeless. She had Neville, and all that he was offering her did make her tear up just a little, having to dab her eyes quickly to avoid becoming overly emotional. "...Neville, you're the nicest person I know, and... I'd love to officially date you, i-if you want. Like, with the 'boyfriend-girlfriend' label."

---

Draco physically cringed at the sudden conversation - after a nice dinner, wine and romantic setting, they were suddenly on the topic of the affair he didn't intend to commit again? Though considering they hadn't talked about it before, he should have expected it, but that didn't mean he liked to indulge in talking about it, especially when noticing how visibly upset she became.

"Obviously not. She's... pretty, but you're prettier," he replied silently, biting on his paling lip. "It was mostly... emotional. I liked how she listened to me, and seemed to find me interesting and stuff. She's pretty, sure, but if I thought that she was prettier than you, I'd have dated her in school-- a-and in bed? Bloody hell, Atropa, I... I don't know! No, okay? You're better, even if it's been ages. J-Just shut up about it now, alright?"

Status
Not open for further replies.