Nomad: Necro Rising | Part 02 - Black Paws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric nods back. Without words, he turns to the remaining hellspawn. He steps up to it and brings down the log with a slam on its head. Blood sprays, and he wipes his lips. "Awww fuck. This is disgusting." He leaves the log embedded in the skull of the zombie and steps back. He feels bile rising in his throat, but he manages to push it back. He'd seen blood before, and it wasn't the first time blood had gotten on him. But zombie blood? Who knew what was in that shit? For all he knew, he'd turn into one. Plus it stank.

Jacob stands and gathers up the items into a pile, eyeing them for a second and grabbing the wrench, hefting it over his shoulder and grunting as he looks the others over "I'll take this until I can get something a little better" he says as he takes a step toward the front of the tunnel, looking outside "Looks like hell out there..."

Audrey quickly picks up the screwdriver, letting out a happy sigh before she looks back at the toolbox and also notices the duct tape within it. If anything, she definitely knew how useful duct tape would be in countless situations. Setting down the screwdriver for a moment, she puts the duct tape in her bag before grabbing the sharp tool again. Thankfully, Eric had killed the last remaining zombie that blocked their way out so they were now free to go to....well...would it really be a better place? Looking at the screwdriver in her hand, Audrey clutches the handle tightly in thought.

Seeing as the items were all 'called' by his peers and he was left with little choice in weapon choices, he would stay with his fists. Yes... until they found a nice, sturdy stick to make things with that is. Seeing as the undead were 'fresh', now would be a good time to investigate and take a closer look at the dead to see if they had anything on them.

Sariel - You grip the shard of glass tightly, unsuring the sharp end was facing the other way as you give a deep exhale, slamming down the essential shiv into what you assumed would be where the fallen rotter fell. Your arm is bought down quickly to your left, and it isn't long before you feel the impact of the sharp glass meeting corrupted flesh; a squelch and spray of blood combining with a moan. It seems you had hit what you assumed was the rotter's neck, leaving its body paralyzed and just waiting to be at last slain. The shard of glass, however, becomes stuck in the rotter's neck.
=================================================================
Eric - You finish off the final rotter, slamming down the burnt log deep into its skull, almost instantly killing it whilst it was weak. You leave the burnt log sticking out of the ravaged head of the dead rotter, and you wince a little from the horrifying smell. Thankfully for you, the blood was only sprayed against your shirt in small droplets, and you aren't completely covered in the brownish blood.
"I'll thank you again for saving my skin back there, soldier. Without your aid, I honestly couldn't have known what would happen." A voice behind you says, and you turn to see Anton looking at you. With a grateful nod, he wipes some of the flesh of the reaper off his combat knife and turns to the exit, which was now not blocked by the dangers of the room. It seemed everyone had gotten through this fight; unharmed.
Jacob - You bend down to pick up the rusted monkey wrench; and the crusty brown metal feels more than uncomfortable in your hand. Thankfully, there weren't any jagged edges on the wrench, so the chances of getting tetanus were thankfully at zero percent. Giving it a little test swing, it would certainly leave a mark at a rotter's head - that's for sure.

(Everyone should read this following part for the area recap.)

You turn to the exit, and being in the darkness of the shelter for so long leaves the light leading from the cave exit outside blinding your vision as you step through the door. You hear the crunching of footsteps behind you, and it seems Anton has come to scout the area in duo with you. Eyes hurting from the bright lights that glinted through the tight exit of brown, moss-coated rock, your eyes finally are accustomed to the outside area. You remember how when you arrived at this bunker, the moor grass was a rich green and yellow with bright grey rocks dotting the landscape. That had all changed.

Taking a good look at the area around you with Anton, your eyes finally stop watering from accustoming to the light, and you take a few steps through the sickened Earth as you look at your new world.
"Mother of God..."
What used to be a pleasant moor had all changed. The green grass was now replaced by a longer, sickly brown grass that uncomforably moaned and swung at the will of the spine-chilling winds. The gray rocks that dotted around the area had turned to a deep brown, and a few of them shined with a sickly and dark evil purple - as if gemstones of evil had been implanted into the rocks. All bushes had wilted into dryed, brown sticks, and the skies ahead you were a dusty brown instead of blue. It was like you had awakened in the middle of a whole new world; a crueler world. One that offered nothing for you but the sickening smell that lingered in the air, and the dim light that was provided by the dust-blocked sun.
"Well, well. Look who decided to come outside." A stray voice behind you says; one that was slightly mysterious at that.
Audrey - You grip the yellow, plastic handle of the screwdriver tightly as you watch Anton and Jacob go through the door exit, walking through the rock floor of the cave exit to the real world out there. You'd all only been here for a week, but yet you had a horrible feeling that a whole new world was waiting for you there. You go to take a look with Jacob and Anton, and the sight that is before you leaves your eyes shrinking a little with horror. (See Jacob's update.)

After the sight before you that was once a pretty moor; Dartmoor, to be exact, was finally sunk in to your vision, you too also hear the mysterious voice. And it felt like it were directly behind you - so much so that you could feel the small breaths emitted from the man's voice flow through your hair.
Duncan - You take a look down at the corpses, but these on closer inspection weren't like the normal dead you would have imagined in your head if a zombie apocalypse actually happened. The corpses showed almost no recognisable feature, and wore near no clothes apart from a few torn and unusable rags around their body where clothes seemingly once hung. Their flesh was a horrible, disgusting brown-ish colour whilst their eyes were rotted and a deep, evil purple. They had no sign of distinctible features; as no hair laid upon the horrid brown monster's head, and their flesh was the same horrible brown, hanging off in various strands. The tougher zombie that pinned Anton, however, had cruel, wicked dark red claws and its flesh had a darker, reddish tint to it compared to the other rotters, as well as the teeth of the reaper was sharp. Yet none of them worn any usable clothes. It was a horrid sight indeed - were these even people?

You search the corpses for even the slightest thing of use, but all you can find is that on the corpse of the rotter that had a burnt log sticking out its head, you notice a card is pinned to the rotten torso of one of the undead:
hello_my_name_is_jane_postcards_package_of_8.jpg
What was that meant to mean? Did these unrecognizable rotting corpses once used to be humans? You could notice that the eyes of the dead were now emitting a dark purple light that went up to the air in small wisps. The wisps of sickly purple seemed to be trailing towards Milly ever so slowly.
Notable Items in the Exit Room:
-A stray two by four. It's cracked and fairly rotted.
-The corpses of the two rotters and the reaper. They smell dreadful.
-Two shards of broken glass. From a wine bottle. They're sharp, and could cut you if you had bare hands.
-An old toolbox made from plastic. It's empty now.
Wisps of purple light from the dead's eyes are trailing towards Milly.

Notable Items outside the Exit Room [Corrupted Moors: North]:

-A large, dark brown rock that is dettached from the earth.
-An old, brown paper bag. The wind is gently moving it.
-An old stick laying outside the cave entrance.
-A small white box outside the cave entrance. You can't tell what's in it.

Your eyes are still accustoming to the light, and you can't spot anything else laying alone in the long brown grass yet!
You can hear an unknown, mysterious male voice coming from somewhere...

Jacob walks back and bends down, looking at the reaper's nails "Think we could make a weapon with these?" he stands for a second, tapping his chin "Some tape and these nails, we could make a spiked bat, or some spiked knuckles maybe?" he says, trying to make anything possible at this point "Someone should take these things inside if we're not taking them with us, for the others to tinker with" he spins around suddenly, hearing something...no someone...talking

"Unlikely, bone is fragile but I will take them... just in case. I will think of something to do with them." Duncan said as he motioned for Jacob to remove the nails for him. It was at this time he noticed the purple mist moving ever so slowly towards Milly. He stood up quickly and waved his hands through the mist.

Jackie looks at her controller, trying to see if there was any visible damage done to it. "Aww, I think somethi- I have an idea. Does anyone have duct tape or something...?" She asks, looking around. "If I could tape glass or something to this thing, that would be AWESOME."

Eric turns to follow Anton and Jacob. He strode up, and heard someone- he didn't know who- saying something about coming out. He walked up as was immediately blinded by the light. Shading his eyes with his arm, he observed the new world. It appeared dark and dreary, and quite hostile. "It'll be right nice tea party, eh?" The sarcastic cynic in him was DYING to make more comments, but he restrained himself. Suddenly, he was uncomfortable and uneasy about someday going out there. He had no weapons, and he wasn't sure if the bunker had any that were useful or still in working order. He stuck his hands in his pockets, not knowing what to do with them. He wanted a gun, he knew he could trust a gun, not these people. Who knew how reliable they were? They weren't even remotely like the soldiers of the Foreign Legion, and what if they were a bunch of chiennes? Jesus, he needed a cigarette.

Audrey looked around in horror at the drastic change in scenery, eyes widened in disbelief. The sudden realization that her once normal town was now polluted with a sickening evil. Still in disbelief it takes a shake of her head to come out of her trance. "Oh, yeah, I picked up some duct tape.." , she said before grabbing her bag and reaching around for the tape. Suddenly, she heard the voice from behind her and jumped slightly before quickly turning around. "WHAT THE--! Who's there?!" She asked frantically.

Diesel steps over, looking at the fallen zombie with the claws. The guy who suggested taking them wasn't moving, and the guy who agreed was just being plain lazy. Fine then. Leave it to me.... He mumbles in his head, stepping over and inspecting the claws. With a few quick motions, he snaps them off at the base of the knuckle, using his knife for leverage as he stomps down on the lower finger. Diesel takes note of the small purple wisps, waving for her to move away from that stuff. What in the hell....

Jacob - You turn around, and from the outside you can see a tall man with hazel brown hair sitting atop the cave which lead into the bunker, his legs dangling from the top of the brown stone. He looks back at you plainly, and you take a look at the man. He was wearing a long, black leather trench coat which covered most of his legs and torso, and wearing a dark blue beanie which allows some of his spiky hazel hair to cover his face. In his right hand, a huge battle-axe made from some sort of purplish steel swung in the air with a sinister shimmer, and you noticed that one of the two side-blades of the battle-axe was broken, giving it an appearance like a shattered ceramic shard. The blade on the other side however was completely intact. He looks back at you plainly with unnatural bluish purple eyes, smiling a little as he remained silent, swinging his legs now and again.
Duncan - The reaper's nails do not actually appear like they're made of bone, although you can't be sure. They're very long, probably about 10cm long or so, and they're coloured a very, very dark purplish colour. They certainly look like they could do some damage.

You try to wave your hands at the purple wisps slowly drifting towards Milly, and they just puff away as if it were smoke, and they disappear into the air. Whatever was happening, you seemed to have interrupted it... although you were a little curious as to what would have happened if you didn't do anything. Nonetheless, it came from those rotters, so it could never have been a good thing.
"Huh?" Milly mumbles cluelessly as she watches the mist fade away. She shrugs, stepping over the putrid brown corpses without much care whatsoever, although she did wince a bit - at the awful smell.
Jackie - You take a look at the controller, and it seems the battery lid had fallen off, and you can now see the batteries in the controller. They would stay in place unless you forced them out, but nonetheless it's still a little damage done to the controller. The wire is also a little loose, but still firmly connected. Needless to say you could use a better weapon.

Audrey roots around in her bag to get you the duct tape you needed to create the upgrade to the controller you may need, but suddenly a mysterious voice can be heard coming from outside...
Eric - Turning around, you can also see the figure carelessly sitting at the edge of the cave. (See Jacob's update.) Your throat wanting a nicotine boost, you are a little annoyed to see that the figure ontop of the cave had a cigarette in the side of his mouth, taking a drag from it with apparent contentment.

It was then that you realised you still had your lighter in your pocket, and it was pretty much full with the flammable liquid. In a situation like this, perhaps that'll come in handy.
Audrey - Likewise Jacob and Eric, you also see the man swinging his legs atop the cave, gripping the handle of his half-broken battle-axe casually. He chuckles a little as he pulls down the beanie over his eyes, revealing his white - almost slightly spiked, teeth.
"Hey now! I don't look that bad, do I...?" The mysterious man says with a slight chuckle in response to your worried scream. He looks down to see your missing arm, and winces a little.
"Oooh... that's gotta hurt, huh? You get bit or something? Because this isn't like those dumb zombie stories and T.V. shows we used to watch. If you get bit, it doesn't turn you into one of them or whatever. That's just bullshit made up by the creators of those shows and games and such, heheh!" The mysterious man says, his voice a little ethereal in a way as he jumps from the top of the cave, landing on the brown grass at the entrance and glancing his eyes around the group.
"Who's there, you say? Well. I'm not going to hurt you, put it that way. Call me Halberd. I'll bet you people don't really know the deal with all this... yeah. Shit that's going on. And those bloody rotters! They smell at least ten times worse than dog shit... ooooh, nasty. You had a reaper waiting outside, too? Nasty, nasty..." Halberd says, keeping his somewhat sinister smile about him as his feet gently crunch about the wilted brown grass. Anton was looking at Halberd somewhat suspiciously.
"How've you been alive outside for so long, sir?" Anton asks respectfully, and Halberd glances back to Anton.
"How've I been outside? It's easy around these parts. Only the first level of corruption, after all. Worse you'll get is a shredder. But, those things are pretty bad... you probably don't know what I'm talking about when I say 'first level of corruption' and 'shredder' and stuff, huh? Well, I can tell you people more, if you like. And I'll even throw in some advice... you do have a kid, after all..." Halberd offers, but there was still something sinister - maybe even aggravating about his smile.
Diesel - Being proactive and deciding to take action on removing some of the reaper's nails, you bend down with your pocket knife, wincing a little at the smell. Jesus... getting this close was so disgusting you were gagging and struggling not to throw up. You rip them off at the knuckle, and it takes a lot of effort for you to separate the knuckles from the hand. After cutting through a good amount of stale blood and stale flesh, you manage to successfully harvest eight of the nails from the reaper. Each of the nails are around 10cm long, and a very dark purple colour. Unfortunately, two broke. You wave Milly away, but Duncan had already successfully managed to stop whatever was happening from happening. You can hear voices coming from outside the cave...
You harvest 8 reaper nails successfully. They're very sharp and about 10cm long.
Two of them broke. They're unusable.
The smell has made you feel very ill.

-The corpses of the two rotters and the reaper. They smell dreadful. Nails have been cut from the reaper.
-Two shards of broken glass. From a wine bottle. They're sharp, and could cut you if you had bare hands.

The wisps of purple light have drifted away at Duncan's touch...
-A long, stray stick laying outside the cave entrance.

Halberd is here.
Your eyes are still accustoming to the light, and you can't spot anything else laying alone in the long brown grass yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacob laughs and looks at the small white box, bending down and giving a quick look over, picking it up and checking for a way to open it
"Let's see...what do we have here?" he mutters, glancing back at Halberd once in a while, the man's axe almost looked like the claws on that one zombie, it made him wonder, was it the same material perhaps?

"So...where'd you get an axe like that? You steal it?" he says, chuckling at the last part softly as he fiddles with the box

Eric turns and stares at the man. He's an ugly motherfucker. Eric sticks his had into his pocket, feeling for his lighter. "Let me bum a smoke," He grunts. "And whats this shit about corruption and shredders? Spit it out." The politeness he had used when asking for the cigarette had disappeared. Despite that he was waiting for a cigarette, knowledge of their environment was more important. Always know your surroundings. I can remember Sergeant LaRose shouting that. He smiles fondly at the memories of basic training in the Legion. He remembers how he had to learn French, and how brutal it had seemed to him, a spoiled rich kid, who wanted some adventure in his life. Now, the challenges seemed trivial. This couldn't be worse than his tours of duty in Africa and Southeast Asia. Hell, it'd be like vacation.

Finally seeing the owner of the mysterious voice, Audrey only slightly lowered her guard now just keeping her eyes on him. When he commented on her amputation she gently touched it. When the mysterious man, who asked to be called Halberd, flashed a smile, Audrey couldn't help but shiver slightly. Halberd seemed friendly but not to be so easily trusted. "How exactly do we know if the advice you'd give is solid, that you're not tricking us...Halberd.." Audrey asked, looking in to his eyes once but then looking away as she still felt slightly uneasy from the way he smiled.

Sariel wrinkles her nose a bit, before standing up, covering her nose with her arm, and walking outside, keeping close to the wall for navigational help. She didn't really have much else to go on at current, other than, really, to follow the group.

Jacob - You bend down and examine the small white box. Inside you can count eight waterproof matches, each made of a thin light brown stick and capped with a long, pink tip. Needless to say, it's perfect for starting fires, and you can now see the striker at the side of the box. Looking closely at Halberd's axe, there isn't a possible way it could be made from the same material as the reaper nails. The texture of the axe blade is much smoother, and easy to tell its made from some sort of metal. Although you can't say you've seen such a metal before.

Halberd takes a breath of his cigarette, raising an eyebrow at you as he puffs out some smoke.
"Jeez. You seem pretty cheerful to walk out to this hell. You a... nah. Doesn't matter." Halberd cuts off, pulling down his blue beanie a bit. You could notice it had a symbol of a black pawprint on it.
"Heh. This thing? Stole it from a museum, and for one reason or another, Ty decided it would be a good idea to dip it in that boiling purple stuff at the level two areas." Halberd says, looking at the confusion on your face for a moment.
"Oh, yeah. I'm in a group of five, you see. Ty's one of those five. He's a bit of a nutter, but bloody good at making weapons, and built like an ox. And by level two areas? Those are places people like you don't wanna go... think of this place, but twice as worse! Smells like something died there, too." He adds with a light swing of his axe. You could have sworn the sharp, non-broken side was leaving behind a light trail of purple mist.
Audrey - Halberd looks at you for a moment, resting the axe over his shoulders as he still gives you that slightly unnerving smile - you weren't sure if he was trying to be creepy, or that was just the way he was. His teeth were slightly sharp, and it was unnatural.

Halberd pulls up the beanie a little so his hair is out his face, looking at you with strangely coloured, bluish-purple eyes.
"You don't. It's up to you to believe me or not, heh. Wouldn't gain anything from killing people like you. Specially cripples." Halberd says thoughtfully as he breathes in some more smoke from the cigarette, then flicks it away.
"But if I really have to gain your trust, I'll help you out with this." Halberd says, shrugging a leather backpack off his shoulders and unzipping it, and then pulling out a large, roughly 3 litre canteen and drops it by your feet.
"Guessing you people came out because you're hungry and thirsty. Take a sip of that. Ain't the nicest stuff, but a sip of that will get you back on your feet. It's a protein shake, you see." He says as he gestures to the canteen.
Halberd gives a 3 litre canteen of protein shake to you.
Eric - Halberd then looks to you, shrugging a little as he takes another draw of his cigarette, pulling down his beanie a bit and losing his smile. It seems you've intimidated him slightly, but he still sits up tall atop the cave, swinging his legs.
"Heh. I'm feeling generous today. Here." Halberd says, taking one slightly taunting draw of his cigarette before dropping down a small, crumpled red pack to you.
"I'll try and explain this to you as simple as I can. Because to be honest, me and my group don't know about it either. You've seen the tower, right? That's the centre of all this bullshit, if you hadn't guessed already. It corrupts the lands around the tower, and closest to the tower around the city is what we call top level corruption, or level five corruption. Never go there... unless you have a death wish. The corruption's slowly spreading across from the tower as we speak, and the more dense it is, the more it affects the lands, and the more powerful it is. Or that's how me and my group put it anyway. Round here, if you think this is bad, it's only the first out of five 'levels' of the corruption. But don't think you're safe round here..." Halberd ends somewhat grimly as he flicks away his cigarette, pulling down his dark blue beanie once more. It seemed to be a habit of his for some reason.
"Shredders, as I said, are the worst you'll get round here. Like those long-nailed zombies, but they're covered from head to toe in those spikes. They'll try to jump onto you, and I'm not kidding when I say they'll cut you to ribbons... if you want my advice, avoid shredders. Especially when you people don't have anything to kill them from afar." Halberd adds, reaching in his pocket for another cigarette.
"Heh heh heh. I feel sorry for you people. While you did survive in there... you don't have much clue what's out there, huh. Hopefully my little explaination helped a bit." Halberd says, lighting the second cigarette.
"Hmph. I suppose that information is valuable to us. If it's true, that is. Thank you, soldier." You hear Anton bark from behind you.
"My name's Halberd, old man."
Halberd gives a pack of 8 cigarettes to you.
Sariel - You follow after the group, using the walls as guidance to lead you along the way. On the bright side, you haven't managed to trip up, and you can hear voices coming from outside. Just as you think you're about to trip up, you feel a small hand grip yours.
"Come on... I'll help you outside..." Milly says quietly. You felt somewhat touched; Milly was usually quiet, but it seems she lifted a hand to help you.
-The corpses of the two rotters and the reaper. They smell dreadful. Nails have been cut from the reaper.
Most people are leaving this room, and soon you won't be able to see in it.
-A long, stray stick laying outside the cave entrance.
Halberd is here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric grunts in thanks. He deftly catches the pack of cigarettes and pulls out one, then pockets the pack. He pulls his lighter and lights his first cigarette in he didn't know how long. He sucked a deep breath, till his cheeks hollowed. He exhaled in a coughing fit. "Had to give me the shittiest cigarettes ever made. Tastes like horseshit." He still appeared to appreciate the smoke. However, something didn't seem to add up. Eric turned to Anton and pulled him aside. "We need to talk." Away from the others, he quickly made sure nobody was eavesdropping. "Listen, I don't trust this guy. He appears out of nowehere, safe and sound while we have to deal with some fuckin'- I don't know, zombies or someshit. He has some weird ass battleaxe shit and it like, glows or something. He somehow has all this 'knowledge' about this tower thing. Plus he said he had a group but where are they? I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to wander away, AND give us supplies, like the canteen he gave the cripple. If I was him, I'd have killed us by now, taken our stuff, and disappeared. I think he's a spy or part of the group or whatever that started this shit. We need to keep an eye on him."

Jacob pockets the matches and looks up at Halberd, grinning faintly "I won't explain why I'm not too scared of this whole scenario, you're not interested, it'd be a waste of time" he leans back against the cave wall and looks at his nails disinterestedly "So, why does a man with a rather pleasant face pull his hat down so often?" he asks, a wide grin on his face, he sits waiting for a response for a second before heading over and picking up the brown bag, feeling for any weight inside, at the very least he could use it to start a fire

Last edited:
Diesel powers through the smell and the texture of the rotting, stale flesh and murky blood, tearing the nails away. Oh-ho-hooo, these could do some damage......what to do... He ponders, dismissively glancing over at Halberd and the others as he collects them all into a bundle. Diesel shoves the claws in his jacket pocket, facing away from his body, and using the zipper to keep them in place, before walking over to the others. Halberd...dude sounds full of himself....eh, he seems nice enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.