Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern Fantasy, Fantasy, Psychological, Action, Steampunk
Episode 1: The Prologue Wish

Humans. They've prayed to gods for as long as they've existed, sometimes without even truly believing them.

They always want something. Whether it's happiness, power, or love — they always want something more than what they have.

That's why I stopped caring; why I stopped granting wishes.

Because humans are too dependent, and all they do is want with no regard for the one doing all the giving.

And so begins my carefree life as the wish goddess of Hanazawa Academy.

htBorLP_d.jpg

My mind was racing. Stuck in the center of the cafeteria, I was amidst the crowd of people moving to and fro to collect their meals and meet their friends. Part of me wanted to speak up — to attempt to talk to someone passing by. No words ever came. Just those questionable thoughts about pinning some unsuspecting classmate to one of the tabes and—

I fervently shook my head. That thought didn't need to go any further. Still, there had to be some proper way to convey myself. I just wasn't capable of finding it on my own. What was it about asking the question, "do you want to be friends?" that was so difficult for me?

As always, I found myself unable to answer that question. A sigh escaped my lips as I gave up on this attempt at a normal relationship. One that wasn't just someone accepting the social awkwardness that was my existence.

As I passed by two students entering the cafeteria, I overheard them mention the wish goddess so prominently rumored to exist at our school. They claim she lives in the shrine, and that she grants wishes for those who leave her a note. I thought it was silly before, but right now it seemed about as viable as anything. It's worth a shot.

Trudging along, I made my way towards the shrine.

Last edited:
Melissa Montmorency, the shrine

If only my soeurette Kotori were here to see this Magnifique Japanese thing! Well, she is a true, blue Japanese citizen after all, she'd know everything Japanese, that includes this thing.

It hasn't been very long since I've arrived in Japan, but I think I'm blending in quite well. Granted, I haven't really made many amie within my first two weeks of transferring to this school, but at least my soeurette had the heart to guide me through the school! I am so grateful to her!

According to her, the thing that was before me was known as the Gate of Destiny. She mentioned something about wishes, but I really didn't get her explanation.

I managed to identify another person who seemed to be from my school based on her school uniform. Exquisite! I knew she had to know something!

"Bonjour!" I said to her, before covering my mouth and blushing, realising that I should've said the usual 'Hai Hai~' or 'Greetings' or 'Hello'. I pointed to the Gate of Destiny. "Do you know how that works?"

I tried not to yawn, but I swear it was more contagious than the cold. It wasn't very helpful that the meeting I was trapping in was so boring that I think I would prefer fighting with Kappa more than this.

"And any closing words from our president?" the narrator asked with a pleasant smile painted on his lips. Something about it gave me the jitters, but I didn't miss a beat, I didn't flinch.

"Thank you so much for such an informative review for the semester!" I chimed, slowly rising from my seat. If I hadn't used the table as a strategic support, I'm confident that I would have passed out. Sitting down for so long and suddenly standing up made me just a bit dizzy, but I didn't let it phase me. I was the president after all. "And thank you, everyone, for attending the meeting, I hope that we'll continue to work well as a team and of course enjoy the rest of our high school days." An obligatory clap filled the silence of the room, and seconds after chairs screeched, and people filed out to enjoy their lunch break. I stood in my spot for a while and took a deep breath, I had to review everything that happened later, and finish all the work they dumped on me. In the end I couldn't say anything and only grumbled to myself while picking up my bag and leaving the room.

Everyone sounded like a mess of noise, nothing important being said, nothing important happening. The school was the very embodiment of boring. Maybe if it wasn't for that rumored wish God, I would have thrown myself off the roof.

I made my way to the shrine, it was good for apperence and I could always give it "offerings".

iYqMGdp.jpg

Currently at: 2-B Classroom, Lunchtime

"We've run out of diapers again? God..."

"Yes, Pops. I'll buy some as soon as classes are done."

"Milk, too...? Ah, sh-- Uh... Yes, milk and diapers. Okay, I got it. Alright. Take care."

I hung up. Put the phone down. Gripped it tightly. Let out a heavy sigh. Let it all out, my friend. Breathe in, breathe out. There goes my fucking allowance... again. The little rascals are slowly chipping away at my life force, if I'll be honest. I swear to God, I'll fucking kill that whore for sure if she comes back with another man and another batch. "Ngh...!"

"U-Uraragasawara-kun...?"

"WHAT NOW?!" My inner aggravation made me oblivious. I raised my tone unwillingly. "Eeeeek!" It was her frightened shriek that snapped me back to reality. Blinking my eyes twice, I surveyed the room. The others who remained inside class had their eyes glued to the two of us. I received mostly stares of contempt, which I have already gotten used to. Looking in front of me, the girl who was visibly shaking was my own class representative. "A-ah, I'm sorry... I didn't mean to yell." Well, regardless of whether I apologize or not, one of those assholes is definitely gonna spread the news. I'm so gonna get it from that bitch again. "I-i-it's okay... I-I was just going to ask... about your... um... homework." Wait... homework? Ah, fuck. Not again. Fuckfuckfuckfuck. "I, uh... wasn't able to do mine. Sorry about that." Scratching my head was the only defense I could muster. How pathetic.

I took my belongings, and headed out. As I approached the doorway exit, my classmates intentionally and silently made way for me, as to not become live obstacles in my path. Good. I liked it better that way, buncha rats. Though, the thought lingered in my head as quick as lightning. I missed out on doing another goddamn homework. Not a good omen for a fucking repeating student like me. I flunk this again, and I can kiss my ass goodbye. Can't disappoint my uncle anymore. I clicked my tongue, lost on how I can manage, or rather, how long I can even manage to keep this up. "Damn it... Shit..." Life, why are you raining down on me with this bullshit?

There exists a very popular rumor in this here Hanazawa Gakuen. One that I keep hearing about frequently. It is said that a quote-unquote "wish goddess" appears on the school shrine, granting and making quote-unquote "wishes" come true. See the sarcasm? I think it's just a load of bullcrap. Kinda like my life in general, but hey, at least it doesn't exist. At least, that's what I want to believe.

But really, I can't help but be curious at the moment. No shit, a wish would come in handy right about now. I let out yet another heavy sigh, slowing down my footsteps. "Ah, screw it. Hope I don't end up wasting my time." And so I trod onwards, to the sacred scuttlebutt that was the Hanazawa Gakuen Shrine.

htBorLP_d.jpg

My approach towards the shrine came to an abrupt halt.

Someone spotted me.

Looking closer, I realized it was the foreigner that recently transfered. It was a bit weird to see someone unfamiliar with our country take an interest in things such as wishing on a shrine. Or maybe she was just out for a walk and happened upon it.

Either way, this was finally an opportunity to socialize. Someone finally made first contact. I met her at the shrine and uttered a "hello", but my mind wandered to her chest. It was larger than my own, but that wasn't hard. Mine were practically nonexistent. I forcibly snapped myself back to reality.

"Er...uh... Are you here to make a wish?" I asked her, sneaking a glance towards the shrine. Even as I asked that, I could hear others approaching.

Either my wish was somehow already being granted or I'd entered some sort of coincidence-ridden hell.

.eJwNydENgyAQANBdGIDzhAC6QpPuQJAgRjzCnT9tunv9fe-r7nGqVe0inVeArXKisWkWGrFkXYjKmWOvrBM1iCIx7S1fwmCmsHgXLHprPaIL-NBiZofGY3jCOj_Dmz7U6us-SB-9qN8fcl0j6g.JxV4ewvSnzOpe9g2LPLdsh0Y8pk
I was barely at the shrine before I heard the chatter of others, for a minute I froze, replaying their voices in my head to see if I knew who it was. Luckily it wasn't who I thought it would be. I took a deep breath, and brought my bag close to my chest, taking a minute to have a more 'gentle' demeanor. Going over myself mentally I stepped in, sticking my head out first and hiding the rest of my body behind the building. The position felt more awkward than manga and people lead on to believe.

"Ah!" I chimed, taking a step out from my hiding spot "I thought those were voices I didn't recognize. Are you here to make a wish, or give some offerings?" I gestured to my bag with the same consistent smile on my lips, I was trying to look vibrant. I at least hope I was. My luck was on ice though, like an idiot I let my eyes wander to examine the girls before me, letting my eyes maybe rest a little too long on the foreigner's chest.

Flat ironing board.

I almost whipped my head around and rose my fist to beat the boy back into place until I frantically reminded myself that this was all in my head. I brought the bag back closer to my chest. I didn't particularly want a large chest; it looks like it would get in the way. Although that didn't stop me from feeling just a little bit inferior. I felt the corners of my lips drop just a bit; I hope I still look noticeably happier than despairing.

iYqMGdp.jpg

Currently at: Hanazawa Gakuen Shrine

It was my first time exploring here. The actual shrine was located in an area separated from the campus, for obvious reasons. Deep in the forest, eh? Glad I wasn't attacked by bears or any such sort. Arriving at the highly-acclaimed shrine of doodgeridoo, I find that the place is surrounded by suspended traditonal Japanese ornaments and decorations. How typical. And then, I heard voices from within. Females, at that. Well, that's not surprising at all, considering high-school women are most susceptible to these fallacies you would call rumors.

I took a few more steps further, and I find... "Ugh... Figures." her. Kujo Nozomi. A bitch. Student Council President of our beloved academy. A bitch. Flat ironing board. A violent bitch. Totally uncute. That's pretty much the most detailed introduction I could give her. Suddenly, she turned around and swung her fist in the air like the brute that she was. Whew, didn't notice me huh. The hell? Wait a minute... what was she doing here anyway? For all I know, Nozomi's not too fond of stuff like this. How peculiar. It seemed that she was fixated at someone, or something, for some reason. Approaching the unaware woman from behind...

"Oi, what the hell are you up to now, witch?"

Melissa Montmorency, the shrine

"Oui!" That was what I replied to the shorter lady. "Wait, a wish? le voeu? le desir? My soeurette just calls this the Gate of Destiny. Maybe she mentioned wishgranting... but I didn't catch it. Either way, I know what it does now!"

I observe the structure, wondering how it works.

"Well, I do have one wish I want to make. Can you teach me how to make it? S'il vous plaît- I mean, please?"

My bright blue aryan eyes shimmer, pleading her aid, before another girl, whom- wait a second.

"Oh! I know you! My soeurette says you are the Maou of the school! You must be very impressive!" I exclaimed at the second girl who popped out of hiding. "Offerings? Non non non, I don't have those. Do I need those for the wish to work? Hmmm... must be a Japanese thing. I thought our faith would be enough."

The Maou was looking at my chest, for what reason I was unsure.

"Eek! Maou! Don't tell me that I need to put my heart as a sacrifice!" I squeezed my chest with my hands.

Just then, the Maou as I called her started to converse with a boy, taller than me if I remembered. It was very rare to see others who towered me, and since I stepped upon Japan, I wondered if it were Japanese who were short or if it was I who was tall.

This conversation appeared to be of the bickering variety. One who bickers with the Maou must be a formiddable one! Maybe it's a Japanese thing.

I looked over to the first girl and smiled, while hinting towards the Maou and the boy bickering.

"So, are we supposed to stop them or do we let them be?"

Last edited:
htBorLP_d.jpg

Great.

A lot more people decided to make wishes at one time than I would've liked. Just attempting to converse with one would be easy (maybe), but this many was more than I could handle. I turned to greet our company anyway, but my mouth remained shut. Before us was a towering male, at least several inches taller than myself. What stood out most was his legs. They're so long... Is he compensating for something...?

I didn't let my mind wander. Bringing myself back to focus, I recognized the two as Kujo Nozomi, the student council president, and Uraragasawara Kappa. His name was as tall as he was. All I knew about the former was that she was...well...the student council president. I didn't pay attention to most of what they did. All I knew about Kappa is that he was famous as a juvenile delinquent.

My head shook. "I-it might be better to let it play out." Still watching the two from the corner of my eye, I went on to explain how wish-making worked. "It's...uh...pretty simple. You just write your wish down and put it in the box... You don't really need offerings, but they might help..."

My voice was riddled with doubt in my explanation, as I wasn't even sure I believed the rumors myself. "O-oh. My name is Chiyo, by the way. Chihara Chiyo." I gave a curt bow and tried to manage a smile.

My smile remained but my brow knitted in confusion. Soeurette? Yeah, that wasn't Japanese or English, but the praise didn't miss me and instead hit me harder I had expected it to. My nervousness was replaced with content while I wallowed in the compliment while I still had the chance to enjoy it. I moved my hand to my cheek in a gesture of genuine embarrassment. "Well, offering's aren't required, but I like to bring them so often." My joy was short lived as I heard another pair of footsteps walk their way to the shrine.

I felt the corners of my lips drag down a little more when I heard the unwelcome, but familiar voice calling me a witch. I didn't want to turn around too much; I wasn't in the mood to actually see his face so soon after the meeting, and I was sure seeing it now would spoil my good mood. And I needed this good mood to survive the rest of the day. Besides would only end in me putting him in a headlock. "No amount of witchy magic will be enough to help you pass the year." I sighed, I felt the joints in my fingers lock, my nails were dangerously close to cutting my cheek, but the tension in my fingers stopped it from happening.

And while our beloved goddess of wishes works miracles some wishes are beyond hope, so don't lose now, Urara-chan! Work hard and pass next classes test! The hand that was on my cheek became a fist, the one that says "keep trying!" than "start running!" I kept my voice light, but I was sure he could see past the cutesy president act.

Last edited by a moderator:
MontmorencyMelissa.jpg

"I'll make sure to bring lots and lots of offerings the next time I come!" I smiled at the Maou. "The guardian here will surely love it!"

"Oh? It's that easy! Magnifique! " I said to the first girl, following her instructions as I performed the ritual according, writing my wish.

I want to blend in with the Japanese, be as Japanese as my new sourette. I'll be the Japanesiest! Of course, this won't be easy for a foreigner like me, but I'm doing my best! I'm doing everything I can! So please help me blend in to Japanese society!

Sorry for not giving you offerings this round, but next time, I'll give you something magnifique

- Melissa Montmorency

I proceeded to fold the paper, preparing to dish it into the box.

"Chihara Chiyo? If I remember, I should call you... Chihara-san! Bonjour, Chihara-san, my name is Melissa Montmorency! I'm a foreigner, so my name is first name first, family name second. So, one would call me Montmorency-san!"

Paper still in hand, I nervously stretched my hand towards the box. It shook ever so slightly. "I can do this... I can do this..." I uttered under my breath.

iYqMGdp.jpg

"Cheh..." Here she goes again, this bitch. Seriously, can I make it through the day without seeing this woman's face for once? One problem after another, then her presence becomes cherry on top. Must... resist... urge to smack. Internally sighing, I decided to ignore her verbal fliptop and looked around, noticing the two other figures in the vicinity. Geez, really all girls huh...?

An odd-looking foreigner who was speaking in some language that I couldn't understand. A seemingly meek young dame. I had seen these two before, but they weren't in my class, so. And then, back at this annoying pest, who uses my failure to mock me liberally. Fuck... Must... Not... Hit... "Urk...!" I gritted my teeth, veins slowly tightening from the side of my forehead, trying to hold it in. Goddamn, this girl really, oh so absolutely grinds my gears. Fortunately for her, I had more issues to tackle than her fucking unsexy cutesy ass. So I just left it with a deep breath, closing my eyes in the process. Hey, what do you know? Sighing actually calms me down. Opening my eyes once more, I thought of a witty retort. I snickered inside as I gave the woman this golden inquiry.

"So...? What are ya doin' here, huh? Wishing for a bigger pair again?"

htBorLP_d.jpg

While I couldn't ignore the back and forth banters around the corner, I tried my best to focus on the shrine before me. Taking a sheet of paper, I wrote down my wish, making sure to protect it from Montmorency's eyes. This was as good a shot as any.

I clapped my hands together, ready to slip my paper into the box, when my ears caught the sound of something crunching. My eyes shifted to Montmorency, then to the two arguing. It didn't seem to be coming from either of them. Instead, it seemed to be coming from inside the shrine. That was weird. No one was allowed inside the shrine.

I didn't want to be the one to slide the door open — especially not with the student council president nearby. Instead, I decided to simply bring it up. If anything, the school delinquent might be willing to do it. "Do you all hear that noise?" I pointed towards the shrine door.

MontmorencyMelissa.jpg

I followed what Chihara-san was doing. I clapped my hands together, before touching four corners of my body to signify a cross, then dropped my wish into the box.

"... Amen."

I think I followed Chihara-san's steps just right. No differences as far as I could tell.

Chiyo asked if I heard the noise of crunching snacks.

"Oui," I replied, preparing to slide the shrine doors open. My hands were already on the door, and no one was there to stop me, I think. "I wonder who it is behind this door."

A cord was struck the instant that delinquent took a stab at my chest. "Are you staring at my chest?!" I couldn't bring myself to get teary-eyed; it would ruin my makeup. I took a step away from the titan student and was about to chuck my bookbag at him before the loud crunch broke my near violent train of thought. I didn't pay it much mind until Chiyo voiced her concern. The former pleasant expression was replaced with annoyance; Kappa had put me on my last leg, the mystery chip muncher wasn't much help either.

[COLOR=#c388f]"Montmorency-san, I ask that you be careful with the door."[/COLOR] My eyes looked over the area, while I don't care much for the shrine, I knew that people wouldn't dare actually enter the sanctuary, I wouldn't at least. The social repercussions would be to sever for me to recover from. I dropped the bag and rolled up my sleeves, the worst possible thing being a creep lurking near the school campus. "But it's probably an animal or something..."Kappa was here, and she was sure he would at least save the other two.

iYqMGdp.jpg

Fully expecting that reaction from the stuco president, I closed my eyes, unable to help myself in painting a smug facial expression while shrugging all the while. It was so damn satisfying to get the upper-hand on her. Kinda like drugs, but hey, I don't take those. "Now, now. Don't make such silly assumptions. I'm not a pervert. I could be talking about a bigger pair of shoes, or socks or--" *crunch* ....? What was that noise? Sounded like someone munching on a box of chips. With that, I opened my eyes, and noticed that the bitch was about to use her book bag as a softball, aiming for my face. W-woah... That was damn close. Glad that whatever the crunching noise was stopped the irrational woman in her tracks.

For a quiet moment, from where we were standing, I looked around for the source of the munching noise, which was getting more and more prominent, by the way. It most definitely sounded like someone was eating chips. Not really something you would hear at a place like this. I could only think of the possibility of another visiting asshat who had the nerve of bringing their grub and eating away. But nope, no sign of anyone from the entrance. That, and the other two women who were eager to make their wishes earlier, were suspicious of the shrine door. Now that it has become quiet, it became clear that their suspicions were right. And now, what remained was curiosity, though I wasn't really expecting something world-changing. Raising an eyebrow, I questioned the foreigner girl first, just to be safe.

"You sure you wanna open that up? Could be ghosts, y'know. I'm fine with whatever."

MontmorencyMelissa.jpg

"I'll be careful~" I gleed, tensing myself and, as opposed to my original plan to slide the door open with great force, slid it open gently.

"Ghosts? Animals? Maybe even both? Magnifique! Let's see it right away!"

My curiousity was piqued as I awaited what was behind the door. I took a single step in as the crunching got louder. My steps repeated as I approached the source of the noise. I wondered if the other three would follow me.

"What kind of ghost would do that? What kind of animal would do that?" my bright blue aryan eyes glimmered. "I have to know!"

I was honestly expecting a scenario like in Alice in Wonderland, but little did I know, that what appeared before us was no March Hare, or hare of any kind for that matter.

It was even better.

htBorLP_d.jpg

Before I knew it, everyone was crowding around. The nervousness I felt was compounding, but I swallowed it in anticipation of whatever awaited us beyond those doors. The president was surprisingly accepting of the idea of opening them — perhaps she thought it'd look good if she brought the trespasser to justice.

Holding my breath, I watched as Montmorency opened the door and entered the shrine. The crunching stopped shortly afterwards. Whoever was behind it knew we were approaching. There was no escape for them now though; not one that we knew of anyway. The shrine door was the only way in and out of here.

I was the last one to enter. I doubt any of us were prepared for what we found.

b6z585p_d.jpg

My ears perked and my chewing ceased. Perhaps my attempt to drown out the wishgoers backfired on me. Why would anyone be foolish enough to enter a place as sacred as a shrine though? Typical humans.

There was no point in running. They'd definitely witness my escape. My best option was to simply play it off as though I got lost, and make a run for it when their backs are turned.

But run to where? This was my home. Guess I'd just have to wait them out.

Following the sound of their ignorant footsteps, I braced myself.

"Oh! More humans!" A nervous laugh escaped me. "Are you guys looking for the wish goddess too?" I realized too late that I neglected to alter my appearance, or remove evidence that I wasn't in fact enjoying chips and manga. I hurriedly hid the items behind my back in a futile attempt to make it seem they didn't exist.

Fuck.[/]

MontmorencyMelissa.jpg

Before me was a young madamoiselle. I think she was young. As a foreigner, maybe I looked old in comparison!

She talked in quite the way, too.

"Humans?" I asked. "Oh! I see! You talk like my sister!"

Using my height, I peered over what was behind her back.

"Wow! You really are like my sister!" I exclaim. "Except the part where she exercises. And eats tomatoes. And you're much taller. And the books she reads have more words than pictures. Must be a Japanese thing."

I turn to the other three - the Maou, the tall person and Chiyo, while pointing to the new, fuzzy girl.

"Do you three do that on a daily basis?"

.eJwNydENgyAQANBdGIDzhAC6QpPuQJAgRjzCnT9tunv9fe-r7nGqVe0inVeArXKisWkWGrFkXYjKmWOvrBM1iCIx7S1fwmCmsHgXLHprPaIL-NBiZofGY3jCOj_Dmz7U6us-SB-9qN8fcl0j6g.JxV4ewvSnzOpe9g2LPLdsh0Y8pk

My hands balled up into fists once the foreigner opened the door, I was more prepared to fight a stranger or animal than finding a girl snacking away at chips while indulging in comics and video games. This was the next Kappa. "You need to respect a shrine rather than use it as a hang out spot to laze around in," I announced firmly, ignoring the statement about us being human. Judging from what she was doing she was obviously some kind of diluted otaku, who was severely misinforming the girl who lived up to her stereotype.

Otaku.

I take back my statement; Kappa wasn't an otaku at least. I almost turned around and headed back to class at the sound of the bell alerting us that lunch was over. "You also need to be getting to class, as should everyone else." I removed my shoes before stepping inside, muttering an apology to the God I didn't believe in, and marched over to the girl and grabbed her arm. With a firm yank, I began trying to drag her out from her spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.