• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
The portly man turned around and smiled, "naw but ah mighta found somethin you might like. I heard through the grapevine you were missin a heat sealer gun." He reached under the counter and pulled out a slightly scratched but fully functional heat sealer gun. "Some refugees were pokin around the hospital ruins and brought back some salvage. And wouldnt ya know they found a heat sealer. Ah fixed it up for ya so it works like its brand new." He handed it to her with a toothy smile.

Cassandra looked at the gun and then at Bubba. It was completely silly to be this emotional over a heat sealer, but that thing had saved so many lives, and she's sorely missed it. She started to say something and instead walked around behind the counter and hugged him tightly, "You have no idea how much this means to me," she said. "It's like my right arm, and I really missed it." She released him and brushed a tear from her cheek. "I feel silly but MAN this is great!"

She let him have his space back and went back to the front of the desk where she belonged, "I've been transferred out of here," she said, "But I want you to know that you will be missed. Wish i'd gotten a chance to know you better."

Bubba chuckled and patted her back when she hugged him. "Well really it was the refugees, they really liked you an when they heard about your missing sealer a few went looking for ah replacement. All I did was fix it up. But thanks doc, hopefully you are going somewhere that puts yer talents tah good use. Lord knows we need more people like you."

Cassandra smiled and blushed a bit, "They are such wonderful people," she said with a warm smile. "I'm glad to have it back, but I really hope they weren't in danger looking for it." She lifted it off the counter then and ran her hand over it, "You did a very good job fixing it. I promise it will save people's lives."

She tipped her head a shrugged a bit, "I've been assigned to SOG, and I don't exactly know what that means, but I'm glad it's not back to civilian hospitals. Someone tried to get me sent back, but Captain Hsu saved me from it, bless him." She smiled and reached over and gave his hand a squeeze, "You take care Bubba," she said, "I have to get back and help get things packed up. Thanks again!"

She went back to the tent and held up the gun, "Can you believe it?" she asked Harrison, "The refugees went and found my heat and seal gun."

Harrison poked his head up and then nodded, "Mmmhmm...you tend to make people lose their minds." He said and went back to packing.

She huffed at him and started on the other side of the tent from where he was working. She was excited that her whole team would be coming along. She had no idea what she'd do without Harrison especially.

The rest of the day passed quickly. Soon the sun was starting to set, casting long shadows over the field. The massive stadium lights turned on with a loud hum, bathing the stadium's inside in a white glow. An aide picked his way through the tents and handed a printout to Cassandra. "Here are your deployment orders ma'am. The transport will arrive at 0600 tomorrow. All supplies and equipment should be ready and properly packaged before the transport arrives. Good luck." With that the aide vanished back into the maze of tents.

Cassandra was stacking boxes onto the cart they'd used to bring everything into the stadium in the first place when the aide arrived. She smiled and accepted the paper, "Be safe, and thank you for your help." She said as he retreated as fast as he'd come. That guy was always busy, it seemed.

"You heard the man, Harrison," she said, "No rest until this is all packed up and we can take it to the transport docks. I need to make sure the others are packing as well. She sat at the terminal and informed the rest of her team of their new assignment, and gave instructions to take only the items that were pertaining to her work specifically from the Andromeda. All other medicines and supplies were to be left there for the next incoming medical team.

She had finished packing another crate when she saw the terminal flashing. She sat down and opened the message from the Andromeda. She frowned and leaned back in her chair.

Harrison lifted a brow and let out a gush of air, "Oh I know that look," he said, "Who's bucking?"

Cassandra quirked that tiny smile, "What look?' she asked and the shrugged, "Biggs and Mason both. Not at all interested in being assigned to SOF. I quote, 'Hell no. I did not sign on to be shot at.' was from Mason, and 'This was supposed to be a research assignment, not a suicide mission.' was from Biggs. Graves and Point were quick to add that wherever I go, they go."

Harrison shook his head, "Mamby pamby, panty waist, good-for-nothing, yellow-bellied asswipes." He turned his back and lifted a huge crate onto the cart, "Let them go back," he said, "They'd be useless to us with that attitude, and you know it. Besides.." he said grabbing another huge crate and lifting it onto the cart, "Biggs doesn't know his head from his ass ... no loss there for sure."

Cassandra chuckled, "Hence why i always give him the simplest tasks." she admitted, "But I agree. No sense having to worry about what they might do, in their fear of being shot." She looked at Harrison, "This assignment doesn't bother you does it?"

Harrison shot her a look, "Stupid question Doc," he replied, "NO way I'd be letting you go into something like this alone. No damn way at all."

Cassandra just smiled and sent the reply, freeing Biggs and Mason to request personal needs transfers to civilian postings.

Erik walked through the tent flap and yawned, "hey doc. Tomorrows the big day huh? I bet it will be nice to go back to a proper operating room. Our base has all the cool toys since we are so special, being spec ops and all that junk. How goes the packing, need any help?"

Cassandra looked up from the terminal and smiled at Erik, "Sterile will be comforting, but the work, is what it is. Still, it will be good to have all the best gadgets for amputation patients like Dante." She looked around the large tent and then looked back at him, "You look tired," she noted, "Are you sure you want to volunteer?' she asked as she stood.

"Two of my staffers on the Andromeda balked and are requesting transfers," she informed him. "One of them doesn't shock me but the other does." She tucked the few strands of her hair that had escaped the pony tail back behind her ear. "So we will have me and three others, but they are the best three anyone could ask for, so there's that."

Harrison stood and tossed a roll of bandages at her behind, "She talks like having her isn't more than enough." He said and hefted the big crate up onto the cart, "This woman works circles around every man I've ever worked with..and that's no lie."

Cassandra threw the bandages back, "Stop...I am just one person. I can't do everything alone."

Harrison gave Erik a knowing look, "She would if we let her..." he said casting a sideways look at Cassandra. "But...we don't...if you are serious about helping, That corner over there hasn't even been touched yet." He said pointing to his right, where the largest stack of items was located.

Erik laughed, "sure thing. And I bet she can run rings around any other doctor." He went over to the pile of boxes and began packing them. A few minutes later, Kirst, Turk, Xanders, and Dante walked in. Dante waved and flexed his new arm, "I tell ya doc, it's almost as good as the real thing. I am 10 pounds off my current bench press weight but I am sure when we get back to base the tech boys can fix that." Kirst nodded and looked over at Erik. "So the doc needs help? Alright boys lets go to work." Before Cassandra could protest, the men went to work with erik packing up supplies. A few minutes later they were done and turned back to Cassandra. "Thats the last of it doc, anyways we are going to bed. Gotta get up early tomorrow. You should get some rest to knowing what will happen when we get to HQ." Dante walked over and thumped Cassandra on the back, "yeah doc, you are gonna love the new digs. Later." The men said their goodbyes then disappeared back into the forest of tents.

Cassandra let out a 'pft' sort of noise at Erik's comment. "I didn't work circles around you in the field," she said, "But I've met plenty of lazy doctors who do the bare minimum to get by...them I can and do circle a few times." She was about to protest the group helping, but then thought, many hands make light work and kept her mouth shut. "I'm glad Dante," she smiled, "I'm sure Harrison can tweak it a bit, with the right electronics. He's a genius."

Harrison huffed, "I will try," he said, "That's as good as I could do with what I had on the Andromeda," he said, "But if you guys ahve the good tech...I can hook you up."

Cassandra smiled at them when everything was done, "Thanks everyone," she said, "Now Harrison and I really WILL get some sleep. rest well." she watched them all disappear and then turned to Harrison, "Ok you...get some rest. I'm sure we'll have a lot of work getting settled into the new Sick Bay."

Harrison nodded, "That goes for you too Doc," he said, "Don't act like you don't need the sleep too."

Cassandra nodded, "I will sleep," she said, "Promise."

The night was more quiet than before. The thumping echoes of artillery were no more and the screaming passes of starfighters had dissappeared. Instead, the sounds of merriment and laughter could be heard as people celebrated the end of the war.

Cassandra stopped by to celebrate with the refugees before turning in and to say her good-byes to everyone who had been so kind. She even managed to find the people who'd found her heat gun and thanked them personally. she made her way back to her room and for the first time had the energy to shower before bed. She finished that is quick order and then changed out her linens on ehr cot and fell into bed. She was asleep in less than a minute as was normally the case.

She woke early, around 4am and COULD NOT manage to get back to sleep. So she packed her few clothing items and bathroom items and then went to watch the sunrise on the top row of seats in the stadium stands. She smiled as it rose over a now peaceful world, thinking how amazing it was to be able to leave this place knowing that was the truth. She looked at her watch and made her way to the transport area to make sure her stuff was loaded and ready to go at 6.

A large bulky transport ship slowly approached over the stadium walls. With a rumble, it set down and lowered its cargo ramp. A trio of workers began loading the various crates and supplies as the men from the saints appeared. "Heya doc, you are looking bright eyed and bushy tailed for someone who spent most of yeaterday working." Xanders smiled and readjusted his pack as the rest of the men waited for the loaders to finish. Kirst looked at the transport and shrugged, "looks like we are getting the regular trooper class ship. No real seats, just spots on the walls with harnesses. Better than nothing I suppose." Soon the loaders had finished their work and motioned for the passengers to get in. The men walked up the ramp and dumped their packs next to their seats as they buckled themselves in.

Cassandra smiled at Xanders, "Slept like a rock last night," she said. She watched them load up and followed everyone on when they were done. She put her small pack on the floor and pulled her straps around her shoulders and waist. Harrison took the spot next to her and she grinned at his overprotective tendencies. You'd swear he was her big brother or something the way he acted some times. But she did appreciate his care. Sadly for him she wasn't on the end and he could only protect one side of her. he'd had an obvious bit of conflict over it as well, when he'd chosen where to stand.

She held onto the straps and waited for the transport to start rolling out. "At least we won't have to worry about being blown up this time..." she thought to herself but didn't say it out loud.

With a low rumble the transport lifted off into the sky, the initial bumping and shaking were soon ended as the exited the atmosphere. The pilots maneuvered into the proper alignment and began starting the hyperdrive. With a whine the hyperdrive powered up and after a few moments there was a jarring bump and a moment of nausea as they went to lightspeed. The pilot turned on the intercom, "alright it will be a few hours until we get there so relax." Dante had already fallen asleep and was snoring loudly as Xanders put some earbuds in and turned on a music player. Turk simply leaned back and appeared to go into a meditative state as Kirst and Erik both pulled out books to read.

Cassandra had braced herself form the jump to hyperspace. She had taken a shot that morning to help her with it, and the nausea wasn't nearly as bad as it would ahve been without it. All her books were on the Andromeda, so she pulled out a sketch pad and began to doodle, the faces of the men. It was a hobby that helped her unwind and kept her sane most of the time. she had a lot of little sketches in this of the refugees, and the stadium, and a few others as well. Some were from memory, some were drawn as she sat for the few brief moments between patients. She always seemed to find time to do it through the day, with the exception of the day she was in the field with the saints. Those were done afterward, and probably would be added to as things came to mind. She had a very vivid and clear image of the man sneaking up on Erik and Kirst, and her hand holding the pistol that killed him. It would be cathartic to put it to paper and then more than likely burn it. The smooth glide through space made the sketching easy. These were very different from her earlier sketches of the members of the saints. They were relaxed and at ease now, the others were very tense and purposeful.

Harrison closed his eyes and stood there, breathing evenly. One might think he was asleep but he wasn't. Every once in a while he'd take a look around but close his eyes again. he didn't like down time like this much, but it was part of the job, and he lived with it. That didn't mean he had to like it. traveling on a larger vessel had the benefit of something to do to keep busy to make the time pass. This was just a waste of time, but he knew there'd be plenty to do when they arrived.

Eventually there was the jarring shaking and brief moment of nausea as the ship exited hyperspace. There were no windows in the cargo hold but one could feel the friction and heat as the ship entered the planet's atmosphere. The temperature increased drastically, Dante broke out in a sweat which caused him to tie a bandana around his forehead. Erik looked over and laughed, "you will see why they classified this planet as a death world when we land.

After several minutes of flying, the temperature only increased. Suddenly the ship deaccelerated and slowly began to descend. The oppressive heat was reduced and suddenly there was a thump as the ship landed. The cargo door opened to reveal a cavernous hangar, its massive sky doors slamming closed as a group of loader bots walked up and began taking the cargo. A tall almost anorexic looking man in a white lab coat walked up the ramp and waited for everyone to unbuckle. "Welcome back saints, and welcome to our humble base Doctor Brandford. My name is Eli Pearson, I am one of the scientists stationed here and I will be working with you. I am not a medical scientist but an energy scientist. Anyways lets get on our way. The director is waiting to meet you."

An automated tram pulled up and everyone climbed aboard. The tram trundled off into a large tunnel and Erik turned around to offer Cassandra and Harrison some sunglasses. "You might wanna put these on, you will see in a second." They passed into a bright light that was let in by rows of large windows. Outside was nothing but a barren expanse of desert. Two suns hung low in the sky, blasting the planet with radiation and heat. Besides the few pools of sulfur,the rest of the land was sunblasted rock and sand. Rows of solar panels were arranged in long rows as they turned to catch the suns solar rays. "Welcome to Rotwen, classified as a level 5 death world. The only reason people even tried to live on this planet is its vast mineral resources. Eventually the planet was mined dry and everyone left. So of course who in their right mind would want to live on a harsh unforgiving planet. Well the SOG found the place charming enough so they established their base of operations here." Erik shrugged as he explained, clearly also lost as to why the base was built on the planet.

Cassandra huffed as her pencil made a sudden scribble in the middle of Dante's face. She scrunched up her face and looked at the sketch and frowned. No saving that one. She felt the heat and slipped the sketch pad into her bag and grabbed the bottle of water she had in there. She drank it down and instantly regretted it as bile threatened to rise in rebellion. She managed to keep it down but it was a close thing.

Erik said this was a level 5 death planet and she tipped her head. Interesting. She'd been stationed in quite a few odd places, because this kind of planet was a safe place for a hospital of even a base of operations, because no one would be fighting over it, or invading it. So...safe. Once you got past the initial expense our building and stabilizing the place, your investment was secure. However, it made for a pretty dull life, and caused more than a few people to abandon posts, positions and commissions. "I can already FEEL that it is..." she said as she dumped a bit of water on a cloth and wiped her forehead.

Cassandra smiled and extended her hand to Eli, "Pleasure to meet you Mr. Pearson. This is Harrison, and I have two others joining me, Graves and Point. We do a lot of work with implants, so an engineer of your kind will be a great help to us. We are always looking for more efficient relays for the implants."

She followed everyone onto the tram and accepted the sunglasses from Erik, having no doubt at all that they would be needed. solar power, seemed the only logical option on this planet, and she found herself wondering how they utilized it within their biosphere area. She was hoping they had an agricultural area, and live plants, but most military operations, and hospitals seemed to ahve an aversion for such things. She was hoping this might be different.

They arrived at a massive cargo elevator, about 50 yards wide. The tram stopped as other vehicles loaded with supplies or personnel piled on as well. A claxon blared and warning lights flashed as the elevator lurched into motion and began to descend into the depths of the planet. After a couple of minutes, the elevator came to a halt in front of a massive armored door. Witha rumble, the door lifted revealing a massive cavern. The cavern could easily fit a decent sized star cruiser, buildings and offices were built into the walls and ceiling as the floor had a bubbling lake of magma occupying it. The tram trundled off towards a squat compound. Coming to a halt, the group disembarked and walked into the checkpoint. Several heavily armed guards watched the group enter and approach the desks. The aides behind the desks checked everyone's paperwork then motioned for Cassandra and Harrison to approach. "Deployment orders and documentation please." The woman behind the desk spoke in a monotone voice having obviously repeated the phrase many times before as she held out her hand.

Cassandra watched everything with a good deal of attention and curiosity. This was quite an amazing place. They had solar power, and thermal power in abundance. She was curious to see how everything was managed and how they stored the excess. She grabbed her small bag and left the tram, following everyone else to an obvious check point. She saw a woman motioning to her so she stepped up to the desk and handed her the transfer orders and her identification.

Harrison stood next to Cassandra, not behind her holding his papers a bit impatiently. He was tired of lolling about. he needed something to DO. He managed NOT to tap his foot, but just barely. He wasn't sure why they were doing this. He couldn't think why ANYONE would come here unless they were ordered to do so. The air had a bit of an odor, like sulfur..but it smelled a little like flatulence to him. He was sure, like everything else in life, he would adjust and not even notice it. Or his nose hairs would burn out totally and he'd completely lose the ability to smell anything. Either way, he'd ahve relief from it.

Cassandra didn't have Harrison's impatience problems. She was taking it all in one thing at a time. "Do you happen to know if the crew members and items arrived from the Andromeda yet? Private Graves and Lieutentant Point?"