• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Dante groaned and opened his eyes as he focused on Cassandra. "Hey Doc. Thanks for patching me up, new arm and everything." He experimentally opened and closed his fingers of his new mechanical arm and shrugged. "Not as good as the real thing but a hell of a lot better than not having one at all. You are a miracle worker Brandford. For real." Suddenly there was a shout from the doorway, "DANTE WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!" Dante laughed weakly and waved as Xanders, Erik, Kirst, and Turk walked over. The men had not even changed out of their dirty and bloody combat gear, clearly evidence of them rushing to Dante. Xanders knelt down and looked at Cassandra, "is he gonna be ok Doc?"

Cassandra waved when she heard them all calling for Dante. She smiled at Xanders and nodded, "He's going to be just fine," she said, "i'm not so sure about the orderlies that had to deal with him when he was brought in...I think they may be traumatized for life," she said with a grin. She looked around at the group, "You guys all ok?" she asked looking from one to the next, scanning with her eye to be sure they told the truth.

She tipped her head then and smiled at Dante, "And hey...that arm is state of the art," she said and touched it. "It had touch reception and it's much more mobile than in the past. Harrison, my assistant has made many improvements ... the man's a genius with these. "I'm sure it's hard to believe, but ... you'll be stronger too." She leaned closer and whispered, "don't tell anyone, but I have an implant from the knee down on my right leg..some day I'll show you how high I can jump."

Dante laughed and patted Cassandra's arm. "You aight doc." Kirst wiped some dirt from his face and smiled. "Well doc if there is one good thing that comes out of all this, we are probably going to be reassigned soon. Turns out the confederate general was confident enough that he was going to capture the stadium that he took part in the attack. He got glassed along with most of the rebels heavy armor. The rebels are in full retreat, looks like the war is gonna come to an end pretty soon."

Cassandra smiled at Dante, "So are you, so are you." She turned her attention to Kirst and lifted a brow, "Oh?" she asked and made a face, "Maybe I should have been nicer to the Captain..." She said with a slight shrug. "He tried to get me to prioritize him, by offering to get me transferred out of here." She looked around the group, "Why would I want to leave here?' she asked and then remembered the captain's parting words and wondered what he might think would be an adequate punishment. "The ingrate was threatening me when he left instead of thanking Harrison for saving his life. Burns my britches..."

She looked a bit sheepish then, "Hopefully he doesn't have as much pull as he thinks." She shrugged, "where will they send you all if this is over?" she asked wondering a few things herself. She didn't really believe they would assign her to work with them permanently, even though that would be great. She was pretty sure she didn't ahve enough combat training for such an assignment. At least not yet.

Dante laid his head back down and chuckled weakly. "Hey doc I gotta take a nap. Thanks for checking on me assholes." Kirst laughed and patted Dante's shoulder. "No problem Dante." He turned to Cassandra and shrugged. "Dont worry about a little pissant like that captain. You deserve some rest Doc. We rode in with the last batch of wounded so after that I suggest you take a nap or something. Gonna be a big day tomorrow." He waved and the men wandered off back to their bunks.

Cassandra nodded at Dante, "Good idea," she said and gave his new hand a squeeze. She turned and looked at Kirst, "I didn't," she said, "He was in good hands, even if he didn't appreciate it. And that's exactly what I'll say to anyone who questions my decision." She looked out the tent and saw people being moved again, "Thanks for the heads up," she said, "I intend to rest..and get food...maybe not in that order though." She chuckled and took off out of the tent and back to her operating tent. Harrison was already getting the table ready for the first patient when she sat at the terminal and clicked on the next one. "Last wave Harrison," she said, "And good news...I'm told the resistance may be done, and this war may be over...."

Harrison looked up at her for a second and shrugged, "There's another one somewhere else."

She shook her head at him. He was right of course, but still...for these particular people, they were going to ahve rest and peace. It was a good thing. She'd have to visit the refugees before she went to sleep. she stood and stretched and there was the next one. She stepped over and continued. They were working for another two hours, steadily before they were able to call it a day. The last casualty cared for and she dismissed Harrison. She sat down and typed in her notes and instructions and then stood and stretched again. She was stiff and aching all over but ti was a good kind of thing. She had done a lot of good today, and she knew it.

She felt her stomach growling, heard it too. She huffed, "Ok food gets first priority."

A soldier on crutches that was passing by overheard Cassandra and hobbled closer. "You looking for some grub doc? The refugees are holding a cookout with the mess cooks. Lotsa different kinds of cooked rodents but its a helluva lot better than the shit...pardon me..the crap the mess hall usually serves. I suggest getting there soon before the food is all gone."

Cassandra smiled up at the soldier by the tent flap, "Thank you," she said, "I will!" She made her way to the refugee designated area and was greet warmly. She was ushered to the food like and the woman who's daughter she'd worked on, made sure she got the best selections, telling her what each was. She was then dragged to sit with the families of those she'd treated a few days ago. She was happy to see a few of the patients were up and about already. Hardy people, apparently.

She spent quite a bit of time there, listening to stories and learning about their lives before the war. It was all charming and interesting. Ultimately it reminded her that people are people, whether they are living on earth or somewhere very far away. Everyone has hopes and dreams, not only for themselves but for their children. After a while though she excused herself and returned to her room. The walk up the stairs was a long one. her legs were really not wanting to cooperate, and she was glad of the partial implant she had. Still, she got to the top and was standing there a while before she pushed onward into the hall. Exhaustion clawed at her. Odd how it hadn't felt to imminent when she was with the refugees.

She stood at her door and realized she needed to use the bathroom. She leaned her head against the door for a second and then pushed away and walked to the end of the hall and into the restroom. She looked at the toilet though and wondered if it was wise to sit down. How difficult would it be to convince her body to get back up? She almost did fall asleep before she finished, but she went to the sink and splashed cold water on her face, just enough to get her back to her room.

The sounds of celebration continued into the night. The next morning was heralded by the massive roof doors cranking open to let in the bright sunlight. A note was slipped under the door of Cassandra's room and it was a notice to report to the admin tent as soon as possible for a meeting with the colonel.

Reactions: PoetLore
Cassandra had managed to get back to her room, and fall into the bed. Again she woke up stiff, and parched. The opening of the roof sounds were what actually woke her, but she just groaned and rolled over at that. The sunlight though, there was no ignoring that, so she rolled and sat up sliding her feet into her shoes. She was for the second time asleep in dirty scrubs. She really needed to get a better system going. She grabbed her shower items and started for the door, when she saw the note.

She tucked the note into the glass of the door on the inside, and then went to get a shower. She would face the colonel after she didn't feel like 5 layers of goo and body fluids were stuck to her. She was quick in the shower and changed into a clean set of scrubs, and after returning to her room and put her things in order, she made her way to the admin tent.

She stepped inside and made her way to the one person she knew in the room, the aid. "Is the Colonel around?' she asked.

The aide looked up and gestured to the small meeting room. "Good luck ma'am." Inside, Colonel Longston was listening to a captain with his arm in a sling. "...and she should be disciplined accordingly!" The colonel turned as Cassandra walked in and smiled wearily. "Ah doctor brandford, please sit down. Captain, you too." They all sat at the small table and the colonel steepled his hands as the captain glared at Cassandra. "Doctor brandford, a report was filed that you deferred critical aid of a low risk ranking officer for a high risk enlisted man. Not only that, but you left him in the care of an assistant who is not even a certified doctor. Do you have anything to say in your defense?"

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
Cassandra saw the Captain and just smiled a bright smile as she entered the room. She sat down and listened, "You ahve stated the exact reasons for my decision," she said, "The Captain himself calls his injury low risk," she said, "And my assistant as you call him, is more a doctor than most I ahve met. he refuses to leave me, and will not take the tests, but he is very capable of handling such patients. As you see the Captain is well, and has been cared for without any issues. Harrison saved his life, pure and simple, and this is the thanks he is to receive."

She looked at the captain, "Do your worst," she said, "But I would make that same decision again. I do not see rank, I see patients and need. I will not ever defer to rank, and if that is a condition of my serving here, you will have to dismiss me now, Colonel." She said as she turned her rather heated gaze back to the colonel. "Especially if it means I must give preferential treatment to men like this." She had a WHOLE string of not fit for polite meeting conversation list of expletives and adjectives that would describe in full detail her thoughts about the captain, but she kept them all in her mind where they belonged. Harrison, or the first trustworthy person she encountered, would hear the whole uncensored tirade later, she had no doubt.

She sat with her hands folded in her lap, appearing calm when she was about to flip a major gasket, and waited for the Colonel's words.

The colonel wiped a slight grin off his face as the captain spluttered in outrage. "I appreciate your sentiments doctor but the protocol was to focus attention on the least wounded first. While the captain was treated and I am sure your assistant is quite capable, the fact is you breached protocol with your decision. In light of this I have been ordered to transfer you back to a civilian posting. I know you would prefer to stay as a military doctor but we cannot risk any more incidents like this." The captain leaned back with a smug look on his face when suddenly the door to the room swung open and captain Hsu walked in.

The colonel looked up in surprise. "Captain Hsu, what brings you here?" Hsu gave the colonel a crisp salute and stood at attention. "Sir I heard about Doctor Brandford's actions and how captain legray here had grievances with her. Permission to speak freely sir?" The colonel nodded, "go ahead." Hsu turned and glared at the injured captain. "In my opinion captain legray here should consider himself lucky that nobody really knows how he tried to abuse his rank for preferential treatment and the fact that he is taking his idiotic anger out on a doctor that is twice the man he ever will be. She served with my men in frontline combat with distinction and integrity. More so than I can say for how captain legray here has behaved. I have already put in a request for doctor Brandford to be reassigned to the Special Operations Group. I trust you have no qualms with this sir?" The colonel smiled, "of course not captain, I will see to it personally that Doctor Brandford gets transferred to your command immediately. I trust that is fine with you Legray?" The injured captain looked like a deflated balloon and simply mumbled an affirmative. The colonel stood up and nodded, "well that settles it then. Doctor Brandford I leave you under the command of captain Hsu. Dismissed." Hsu saluted the morioned for Cassandra to follow him as he walked out of the admin tent.

Cassandra blinked when the Colonel spewed out his decree. She had all of a few seconds to take it in. A civilian posting. Back to plastic surgery and gall bladders. She glanced at the Captain and saw the look of triumph and wanted to just slap him. He hadn't cared one iota about that young Private. Not that Harrison couldn't ahve saved the private, he could have, but she had been attempting to teach the pompous captain a lesson, that he obviously had not learned. Her mind was screaming and she was about to say something but Captain Hsu entered. She closed her mouth and listened while she tried to think of a way out of this.

her brows lifted when she heard what he was actually saying and she turned to look at him. her eyes were wide and the obvious shock she was feeling was clearly evident on her face. She saw the instantaneous change in Captain Legray's mood, and though it was gratifying, she did not gloat over him. She nodded to the Colonel and stood, following Captain Hsu out of the tent.

She stayed in step with him and walked, to wherever he was going. She wasn't sure what to say to all that but she managed, "Thank you,Captain," she said, "I really didn't want to go back to tummy tucks and tonsillectomies."

Captain Hsu stopped and turned to look at Cassandra. "I was impressed with how you handled yourself out in the field doctor. You managed to keep up with my men and also help them in a combat capacity. Its needless to say your talents would go to waste back in a civilian posting and I am more than happy to have you on my team. You have also made quite the impression on my men, most notably the saints. They sing high praises about you and the rest of my men are more than happy to have you serve with them. I hate politics and regulations as much as the next soldier but today I am glad I could use the system in my favor for once. It was also satisfying to knock that captain down a peg. I will finish your transfer paperwork tonight. We ship out tomorrow, I have already sent for the rest of your team serving on the Andromeda to meet us at our base. Welcome aboard the Special Operations Group doctor." He gave her a firm handshake then marched off back to his office.

Cassandra blushed a bit at his words and that the men of the SOG team had spoken so highly of her. She was humbled and also glad of it. "My whole team?" she blinked even more excited that they would all be able to remain together and that they too would be able to serve in more vital capacity.

He shook her hand and she waited for him to leave before the ran, full sped to her tent, well it wasn't her tent anymore but she knew Harrison would be there. She stopped before entering to compose herself. "Harrison!" she called, "You in here?" she asked surprised he wasn't. She turned to go find him but when she moved out the door of the tent she ran into the solid wall that was Harrison.

"Hey...there you are," she said stupidly, "I just wanted to let you know that captain got me busted." she said seriously, "They are transferring us immediately. I just came from the Colonel's office."

Harrison glared at her, "That no account pissant, excuse for an officer?" he huffed out, "Surprised he knows how to wipe the shit from his ass.." he grumbled.

She nodded, "Many of the same sentiments I felt while he was yelling that I must be disciplined for breech of protocol." She agreed, "The Colonel said we had to transfer to a civilian post."

"OH HELL NO!" he shouted, "NEVER AGAIN...absolutely not! I will go AWOL Doc...It's not happening!"

"Fortunately Captain Hsu came in and spoke for me. We are as a group...all of us, even those on the Andromeda, are being transferred to SOG!"

She watched his face and he glared at her and then he laughed loud and hard, "Damn Doc," he said, "You got me good that time..." He hugged her and then quickly released her, "You are learning..."

Erik came aeound the corner with a smile on his face, "I heard the good news doc. Looks like you are officially part of the SOG. Let me be the first to welcome you and Harrison aboard." He shook both of their hands and grinned, "also Dante is up and moving. First thing he wanted to do was see how much he could bench press with that new arm. Luckily it did not explode from strain or anything. Oh! I almost forgot, Bubba said he wanted to see you when you have the chance."

Cassandra accepted Harrison's hug with a great deal of surprise, but happily. "I am trying to elarn," she said and then smiled at Erik when he entered.

"Oh thank you," she said, "Captain Hsu saved us from a civilian posting." she said and she and Harrison shuddered at the same time at the mere thought of it.

Harrison shook his hand, "Nice to be part of the team," he said, "I would have gone AWOL.." he said looking from one to the other, "You know how I feel about you Doc, but no way ...I've seen enough rich wives asses to last me the rest of my life." He huffed and went to the back side of the tent to start packing up their stuff.

Cassandra chuckled a bit, but nodded, "It's all cosmetic surgery and upgrades, in civilian posts." she sighed and then grinned when he mentioned Dante, "I'll have to go ahve a chat with him. He needs to let that heal and take firm hold before he does that. But he'll be able to lift a truck with it once it does. he's already a strong man." She didn't mean over his head or anything but pick it up by the bumper, yes. Probably even move it side to side, she'd wager.

"Hmm...wonder what he could want?' she asked out loud, "Thank for relaying the message. Have you heard anything about where we are all going?"

Erik shrugged, "from what I heard we are going back to HQ. Its not much of a place to sightsee but its secure and is safe. From there I dunno but I am sure you will be plenty busy. Anyways I gotta go pack, see ya around."

She nodded and waved as he left. "I'll be right back to help you Harrison," she said as she made ehr way to the quartermaster. She stepped in and smiled at Bubba, "Hello Bubba," she said as she walked to him, "I head you wanted to see me?" she asked as she looked around out of habit. Once a scavenger, always a scavenger, her brain teased her. "Sewn any more teddy's back together?" she asked now at the counter. She really did think he was a sweet man to ahve done that in the first place. She was sorry she wouldn't be getting the chance to know him better.