A Combat Oriented Dark Fantasy RP

"When the millennium ends
The monsters will awake
And pour from the gates
The Braves the world sends
The monsters down to take
To win or to lose their lives"

Start of the "Song of the Braves"
"We all know that the gods were never merciful to our world, seeking only amusement from us mortals, but the Millennium Battle is probably the cruelest thing they could think of.
Each thousand years the gods let the seal on the Gate loosen up, allowing monsters to come to our world.
Each millennium the nations of the world pick a hundred young ones to send there.
One of them is to become the Savior while the others are split into groups of eleven and given different roles, identified by the equipment they gain.
As long as the Savior remains alive the others will always be returned to existence into a special room if they are killed.
If the Savior is killed then everyone else is gone to, their fate unknown as this means that the Gate slams open and hordes of monsters overrun the Valley of Lost Souls, where the Gate rests and the Millennial Battle takes place.
The ones sent to this bloodshed are known as Braves - should they win they become Heroes, saviors of the world and get a reward from the gods - should they lose they are just Ghosts, many of the countless unknowns that failed to save anything.
You that come after us, heed this warning, prepare for the Millennial Battle for if you are not ready when it comes you will be erased from this world.
HEED THIS WARNING!"
"The Kash Mountain Inscription"
Terms:
How identify an importance of a Term at first glance? Observe the formatting!
Very Important Term Important Term Relevant Term Mentioned Term

Millennial Battle - A conflict fought in the Valley of Lost Souls between one hundred Braves and numerous monsters. Except for the Savior all Braves are revived should they die. The conflict lasts until the Braves manage to get to the nine Altars which when all activated close the Gate, or if all the Altars deactivate (see Altars), or if the Savior dies.

Valley of Lost Souls - a narrow mountain valley some 50 km (~33 miles) in length. One one end it is connected with the rest of the world trough the Pass of Forsaken Heroes while on the other lay the Gate. Over millennia near the Pass a complex system of fortifications was made in order to help the Braves by giving them a home and many facilities which is now known as the Hall of the Braves.

Braves - Young people from all the races of the world, that were ether chosen or volunteered. One of them has the role of Savior - which is similar to the king piece in chess. The rest are split in teams of eleven and given varying Roles which can be identified by the equipment that summons itself when they step into the Valley of Lost Souls.

Monsters - A name for all creatures that come trough the Gate or their descendants. Generally monsters are separated into three categories: Originals, Descendants and Unique. All monsters share an extremely violent nature and only work together during the Millennial Battle due the influence of the gods.

Savior - A special role in the Braves. Unlike the rest of the Braves the Savior is the only one that can be permanently killed as long as the Millennial Battle lasts. Should the Savior die the Braves automatically lose!

Altars - Nine rock spires scattered across the Valley of Lost Souls with strange markings on them. Activating all of them at the same time wins the fight for the Braves. Each activated Altar will only be active for a month, but activating a new altar will add half a month to the activation length of all other active Altars. If the Braves have no active Altars they lose. The Braves start with two Altars active, both with two months until deactivation.

Gate - A massive cave with a gate-like arch carved out on its end. Usually sealed, but every thousand years the gods loosen the seal and bring monsters to the Valley of Lost Souls in preparation for the Millennial Battle.

Hall of the Braves - A series of fortification and facilities built around the Room of Revival. Along with being a powerful military facility with several armories, siege machines and so on, it also houses many other facilities, including among other: several temples, rooms for craftsmanship (for example for carpentry or smiting) and a pool.

Pass of Forsaken Heroes - a long and narrow mountain pass connecting the Valley of Lost Souls and the rest of the world. If the Braves lost a Millennial Game armies from all over the world would fight in this pass to buy time for the world to create hidden villages (to survive the monster hordes) and leave as many traces that are impossible to destroy or hidden away. The name comes from the fact that despite all that fought in here were heroes they never had any hope of winning and were forsaken to buy time.

Roles - warrior, magician, archer and so on. Roles are a special power put on the Braves that allows them to learn skills related to their Roles extremely fast, even without someone to teach them, and grants them an special Role Power. It should be noted that Braves might use any skills unrelated to their Role if they knew it before entering the Millennial Battle.

Role Power - A special power granted together with a Role. Usually stems from both the Brave's Role and character.

Original Monsters - Monsters which were part of the first Millennial Battle or were created by the gods later on. Only a partial list of those identified from various images in the ruins and other remains of previous civilizations exists.

Descendant Monsters - Monsters that were born from copulation between monsters and a member of one of the races of the world. Most of them known one of the language of the world and have some intelligence.

Unique Monsters - Powerful and dangerous monsters which are ether competently new beings or "special" versions of Original/Descendant monsters. Usually highly intelligent or able to become highly intelligent but only able to create lesser versions of themselves trough procreation.

Gods - The gods of the world. It is believed that the number of gods is anywhere from twelve to a myriad. It is known that there is at least one dozen of them.

Room of Revival - The room in which Braves revive in case of death.

Now as another Millennial Battle approaches the races of this world must once again send young ones to become new Braves. Some will join on their own, seeking to gain fame, wealth, prestige as well as the unknown reward from the gods. Other might be forced, with threats or other methods. But no matter for what reasons or on what ways they now arrived into the Valley of Lost Souls. It is time for a new generation of Braves to step up and fight to keep world from once again falling into darkness...

Note:
Monsters are cruel, have no concept of mercy and follow their instincts, you should expect if your character is defeated but not killed that the monster has a good reason to do so, be it rape, torture or fun. Also due to the nature of the RP's setting expect lots of blood, chopped-off body parts and generally other gory stuff.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

If you are interested go to the OOC:
https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/millennial-battle-dark-fantasy-ooc.151632/

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Danielle reaver
Oooh, this caught my interest. I certainly wouldn't mind playing as one of the Braves!

Oooh, this caught my interest. I certainly wouldn't mind playing as one of the Braves!
Good to see you here. Hopefully more people join ... I should probably summon Furasian with the power of tagging when I am already here. @Furasian should also call in any friends that he has that would like this kind of an RP...

Also did a slight change - the Pass of Fallen Heroes to the Pass of Forsaken Heroes and added more info about it. Fixed a stupid spelling error I found in the description of what Original Monsters are... if you find any other spelling errors feel free to point it out ppl!!!

I'll look into this when I get home!

What are the races available to us? That will probably dictate if I am making a monster or a hero in this rp

Got a few questions about the terminology here.

Original Monsters - Monsters which were part of the first Millennial Battle or were created by the gods later on. Only a partial list of those identified from various images in the ruins and other remains of previous civilizations exists.

Descendant Monsters - Monsters that were born from copulation between monsters and a member of one of the races of the world. Most of them known one of the language of the world and have some intelligence.

Unique Monsters - Powerful and dangerous monsters which are ether competently new beings or "special" versions of Original/Descendant monsters. Usually highly intelligent or able to become highly intelligent but only able to create lesser versions of themselves trough procreation.

Are any of these playable?

What are the races available to us? That will probably dictate if I am making a monster or a hero in this rp
Pretty much any fantasy races will be playable, alongside with the good old humans. It can be anything from elves, over various beastmen to gnomes.
Are any of these playable?
I was planning on having Unique Monsters playable. Most of the characters should be Braves, but yeah I will allow a small number of Unique Monsters.

So, must 'Races' be humanoid in some way or can they be animalistic?

So, must 'Races' be humanoid in some way or can they be animalistic?
Trough most of the races of the world are humanoids some are not. I will allow players freedom in terms of races by including a race sheet in the OOC that will allow for player built-races to exist. But you must think of a way in which any race you want to have would be able to develop a certain level of civilization - AKA the race should be self-aware, intelligent enough develop a complex language and be able to develop and wield tools.

This definitely interested me and I will be joining this. I've been rather busy lately, but I do think I'll be able to get a CS up soon. I do have a question. How is the Savior being chosen? I was wondering if you would be playing him or after CSs are made, you would randomly select someone. I was thinking of making a character who might not be a very good Savior, but it would be interesting then. Also would the Valley of Lost Souls be pretty much deserted or could I make a character who would have a previous knowledge of the layout, sort of like a guide?

New This definitely interested me and I will be joining this. I've been rather busy lately, but I do think I'll be able to get a CS up soon. I do have a question. How is the Savior being chosen? I was wondering if you would be playing him or after CSs are made, you would randomly select someone. I was thinking of making a character who might not be a very good Savior, but it would be interesting then. Also would the Valley of Lost Souls be pretty much deserted or could I make a character who would have a previous knowledge of the layout, sort of like a guide?
I was planning to have the Savior be a NPC since that person just sits in the Revival Room and does nothing else. But if you have a good character idea for a Savior and really want to play even after I make a OOC then we will discuss this in PMs then.
When the Gate is sealed a week later the Valley of Lost Souls follows - this is to prevent the races to expand the Hall of the Braves to much. Also since monsters that are not killed usually remain in the Valley it is hard for normal people to wander around it. Usually the only thing helping new Braves navigate is a map of the Valley, but since even the Valley changes with time or godly intervention the map is never 100% accurate.

I was planning to have the Savior be a NPC since that person just sits in the Revival Room and does nothing else. But if you have a good character idea for a Savior and really want to play even after I make a OOC then we will discuss this in PMs then.
When the Gate is sealed a week later the Valley of Lost Souls follows - this is to prevent the races to expand the Hall of the Braves to much. Also since monsters that are not killed usually remain in the Valley it is hard for normal people to wander around it. Usually the only thing helping new Braves navigate is a map of the Valley, but since even the Valley changes with time or godly intervention the map is never 100% accurate.

Cool, that will make things very interesting for my character. I was planning on having him be a sort of suicidal mapmaker or guide. So when the Gates open, he can get started on hopefully finding the Altars.

I might turn to my ranger character for this rp! So humanoids are by default the primary trait of all races, animalistic or not.. Correct?

New I might turn to my ranger character for this rp! So humanoids are by default the primary trait of all races, animalistic or not.. Correct?
No. It is just that most races would be humanoid - it is a proven way to rise to the stage of civilization. But naturally with magic involved there could be for example a race that evolved from spiders and has some way of using tools, maybe by evolving a changed shape of a part(or parts) of one(or n pairs) of the legs, and of course a large brain.

Any rules on the setting motifs? My aforementioned non-humanoid race is very Oriental in terms of inspiration.

Any rules on the setting motifs? My aforementioned non-humanoid race is very Oriental in terms of inspiration.
No. Net. Nein. Non. Iie. I think writing it down in five different written forms (in more then 5 languages!) gets the message across? You can use any tradition, any motifs, any inspiration.

@chaosheart13 @Crow @Furasian & @rechonq
You still with me people?
Anyways since I would like a bit more people to show up I put up a banner for the Interest Check just need to wait for it to get approved by an admin.
But no matter how many people we do or don't get, an OOC will be up inside the next 3-4 days so stay tuned in and wait for it...

@chaosheart13 @Crow @Furasian & @rechonq
You still with me people?
Anyways since I would like a bit more people to show up I put up a banner for the Interest Check just need to wait for it to get approved by an admin.
But no matter how many people we do or don't get, an OOC will be up inside the next 3-4 days so stay tuned in and wait for it...
Standing by !

I'm still here. In fact just last night I was working on a CS and realized that this was just an interest check and no CS template was put up yet. I'm ready whenever you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.