Luna Hall Academy: The Entrance Exam

The little kitten wriggled as it tried to get comfortable in Leilani's shirt. Eventually it settled with his head poking out of her neckline and both front paws hooked over the edge. this close she could actually feel how thin the creature was beneath all the floof, as well as tiny shivers from what had previously been the night's chill.

The kitten seemed to get better with the environment change though, even holding unusually still as she flew over to the other islands. It was almost as if the four legged fuzzball understood that holding still was the best way not to throw off Leilani's balance.
After Leilani greeted the other students the feline took them all in with large green eyes and offered up the tiniest "mew" in hello.

Headmaster Scritch ruffled his feathers and looked wistfully out the window at the moon and then at the willowy figure of his wife as she assisted one of the more elderly instructors to a chair. For a moment he cursed the casting that kept him avian by night and her stone by day. But as he still had his voice they could still communicate. It would be enough as it had been for the last ten years.

At least he could still watch the exams as a falcon. most of the teaching staff were there. Seated in chairs they had whipped up for the occasion or using the ones already located in the Great Hall. Some were munching happily on the dinner the kitchens had provided and others were watching the exam through either magicked mirrors or the large box set on the center-most table.
LeviathanSea.jpg"First team has reached the halfway barrier of level one," a deep voiced boomed, and Scritch looked over at a large, blond, broad shouldered man with a dark leather sailor's coat. He was sipping happily on a mug of coffee.

"What happened?" the headmaster asked. "It's rather soon don't you think?"

"Pair of fourth years tried taking a transportation circle all the way to the center. Crashed into the barrier we set up to prevent that and landed on top of each other. You'd think they thought we didn't think of that." The younger man chuckled and it was echoed around the room by several instructors. "No one's hurt though."
Sebastian Davis was the head of LeviathanSea and the divination teacher. He was also the sort to know the instant someone was trying to break or take advantage of the rules. The gift of divination Headmaster Scritch supposed. "They are a bit miffed they have to go on foot now, though. Looks like they already learned about the broomstick limiters in the area s well. Low height and slow speeds only. Have to keep things fair after all." Another slow sip of his coffee followed his cheeky grin.

Scritch hopped over on his rather inconvenient-for-walking talons to peer over Davis's shoulder. Sure enough the view showed a pair of 4th year students, both of whom the headmaster was pleased to note did have their transport licenses, studying the pillars that marked the transport barriers. There was a ring of islands around the halfway point each with a pillar and a sign set on it. Those familiar with the pillars that marked the school boundaries (also anchor points for protective charms) would note the similarity.

"And how are the other students?" Scritch asked tilting his head. it was almost intimidating coming from a bird of prey.

"Some are going it alone and others forming teams. there are two rather large teams on the outer edge, but judging from the fast that it's a couple older students guiding a few newbies, I think it's for the best. No need to make them split up just yet. Besides, we want them to work together."

"Indeed, that was the point," Scritch answered.

"Now!," Davis continued rubbing his hands together a bit greedily, "anyone wanna place bets on how long things go before someone notices what i placed in the water?"

• Love
Reactions: Midian
Vinno
"Pet me, I'm soft."
"What..." Vinno can hear a voice somewhere far away, it took her a moment before seeing the small green bird that was perching on her chair. She looked at the parrot and thought about reaching out her hand, but the bird flew away before she could do anything else. "A familiar?" Vinno whispered to herself, there was no other way an animal could have talked to a human. Thinking that it probably went back to its partner, Vinno stretched out her arms and checked her bags...or bag. She never had many items to take to school, a few hand me down, patched up articles of her uniform and books of only a few subjects. Her broom was one of those weird ones that could be folded up, but it has barely seen much use due to her health.

The steam from her tea raised up to the sky, disappearing in the sky. Vinno stared at it, her mind zoning out somewhere like always. The bracelet's message rang through her ear dully, she didn't give much thought to it. 'Transportation spell? That means it's going to be somewhere far away, right?' She looked up at the sky through the steam from the tea cup, small light orbs raised up into the night sky, before she knew it she was one of those lights too. Otherworldly, huh? The transportation didn't feel like much, Vinno knows about people who dislike the transportation spells, but she never had an issue with it. Probably because she is constantly in that dazed state transportation spells make people feel, she does it to pass time.
AvCxOBI.png
AvCxOBI.png

Bright light clawed at her eyes, while sand and dust scraped at her lungs. Vinno sat on the white beach, staring at the grey bag in front of her. She pulled up her glasses to get use to the lighting. A dry cough came again, the sand was killing. Pulling out the bottle of water, Vinno gazed around the place as her eyes finally feel better about the bright beach sky. There were other students, they look younger than her. Well, she was a fourth year, it was to be expected.

There were a few students in a short distance on a different island, they seem to have already formed some sort of group, with a redheaded young girl shouting invitations to everyone in the immediate area. Vinno paused and thought about her next step, she was a fourth year so just running through the thing was an option, but then remembered about the starting speech...Before she could decide whether to be heartless and ignore any younger student along the way or be a decent person and have some human interaction, a small shadow over head caught her attention. A boy with chocolate colored hair hopped off of a broom, landing in the sand and kicking up a small cloud of dust.

"Uhm, hi there! I'm Wolfgang, in SphinxHill. I don't think I've met you before?"​

Vinno knelt down and was coughing again from the sand that floated around, but she managed to catch what the boy was saying. 'Nope never seen you before' She thought to herself. She took a sip of the water again and tried to regain herself.

"Nope." She paused for a second. "Never met before." The bottle of water went down about a quarter already. "Sorry, I don't do well with sand and dust," Replying with a voice that was a little dry.

"Vinno, DjinnGate." She got up and tried to put on her best 'I am totally fine' face while trying to understand why the student came to her. Is it because she looks a bit older, or just because she's close enough? "So...you're here for...?" She asked the newcomer while pulling her glasses back on, looking as if she is going to doze off again.

@Eru

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Eru and Falcon
WOLFGANG WINTERMOSS
Interactions: Vinno (@Cresion Breezes)
Mentions: Samantha, Leilani

A look of alarm suddenly crossed Wolfgang's face, and he reddened noticeably. "I-I-I'm sorry! I'll try not to k-kick up the sand again like that," he stammered. Up close, this girl was definitely somebody Wolfgang hadn't met before. He would have remembered the hollowed look in her dark eyes. Snapping back to reality, Wolfgang tried to recover himself. "Uh, right! I was just, uh, passing by here. I saw the other students on that island, and was heading to s-see if they wanted to work together. You know, since it's the first t-trial, and all."

Wolfgang sighed internally. He was usually way more composed than this. Maybe fatigue was already starting to set in? Or, maybe he was simply nervous, standing before the upperclassman Vinno. She looked and sounded tired already, as well as being a just a bit intimidating to Wolfgang. Also, Vinno didn't seem to be adapting quickly to the environment. For a moment, Wolfgang wondered whether he should just go on ahead, like he'd planned to. But...

"Hey, are you doing okay?" Wolfgang asked Vinno cautiously. "I don't think i-it'd be good to go ahead without you, if so... do you have a broom?" He hopped back and forth on one foot, then the other, trying not to kick up sand meanwhile. If Vinno didn't have a broom, Wolfgang could offer his own for use, though he'd probably have to walk. In either case, Wolfgang still intended to go see the other nearby students, if possible.

Reactions: Falcon
Iris instinctively looked off to the side as the red-haired girl suddenly spun around to face her. It took some mental effort, but she finally drew her gaze back to the girl.

"I--" Iris began to speak before another girl landed from a broom. Leilani. Another first year? Maybe second? However, what really drew her attention was the little kitten peeking out of the shirt. So adorable.

Still....

"No... thank you." Iris finally answered in a soft, mellow tone. "Excuse me."

Brushing by the two friendly girls, Iris pressed on a few moments before something occurred to her. Flying? Were they planning on flying? If there were paths on the ground then....

"Don't fly," Iris turned back a moment to advise the younger girls. "It wouldn't be a maze if you could fly."

With that, Iris proceeded forward across a long isthmus, pausing at a fork to try and discern which path might lead to the goal.

@daird
@Midian

"Well, alright... bye then," Leilani mumbled as Iris walked off, her shoulders sagging a little. The others hadn't said anything about the broom offer, and taking that as a sign, she hopped sidesaddle on it again and headed off, cradling the kitten in her shirt with one arm and holding the other with her broom. While she couldn't really get too far out into open water with it, both fearing what would happen to her new friend if the broom decided to give out and not being able to control it too well far from solid land, she could skim over shallow water near land and shave a little time off her adventure towards the large island. After about fifteen minutes the broom suddenly lost connection with her and they tumbled to the ground, Leilani careful to make sure the kitten didn't fall too.
"Owowow-- I was afraid of that. You okay Soot-- well, if you like that name, anyway-- you look just like it."

She sighed and flopped back from her seated position, screaming as her head went over than expected into an invisible tunnel.
"This place is gonna kill me!" she muttered, gathering herself and her bags and broom up and then, very carefully, making her way into the tunnel.

• Love
Samantha had been slow to react when the other girl had offered her the use of her broom, so she was a little dumbfounded when she took off. The redheaded witch didn't know any water-walking spells, but she did have a few tricks up her sleeve. She whispered a couple of spells, the first to freeze a platform of ice for her to ride and the second to enable it to propel itself. She followed the girl on the broom, watching in shock as she fell through an invisible hole. "Hey, you alright?"

@Midian

• Love
@Cresion Breezes @Eru @Luma

Iris didn't get far before she faced her first obstacle. While her intention might have been to go on alone it wan't long before Vinno and Wolfgang caught up to her as she read the riddle.

Two arches with magical barriers blocked the entrance to both paths with what looked like a suit of armor standing between them. At the center of the island they stood on was a pedestal with a engraved plaque.

Two paths lay before you.
Choose well or fall behind.
One way lies a shortcut,
the other trouble you will find.
Your answer waits in armor,
one answer only he will give.

Down one road lies his home.
The other its opposite live.
Call him honest or call him liar,
one trait only does he posses.
Choose your question carefully
or find a greater mess.

It was fairly clear what they had to do. Choose a bath ad hope for the best. Although there was the added help of being able to ask one question of the suit of armor... assuming they knew if he spoke only truth or lies.​

@Midian @daird
Soot wiggled and meaowed his acceptance of the name and then looked at the tunnel opening, meowing excitedly as he heard Samantha's voice. His intent was clear. He wanted the other girl to join them.

The tunnel in front of them was long and straight and seemed to lead directly toward the center and where they wanted to go. The water was blue and clear and transparent enough to not only make out the fish swimming around, it, but two other tunnels as well. they too led to the center and were no doubt difficult to find.
In the distance a long dark shadow could be seen swimming it the water. but it was a joyful almost dancing swimming. Suddenly the shadow approached the tunnel the shadow looming overhead until a large belly comprised of golden-yellow and royal-blue scales could be seen before it continued on. After a few minutes it seemed to be almost on the other side of the level, although underwater both distance and speed were difficult to gauge.

Soot only chirped excitedly and tried to wriggle out of Leilani's shirt

"You and your riddles," Instructor Davis grunted to a member of staff behind him. The only response was a laugh.
staff.

"They will either waste a lot of time guessing wrong," Headmaster Scritch ruffled his feathers as he replied, "Or they will guess correctly and cut their travel time in half. And then we have the pair that found one of your water tunnels, Sebastian. That will carry them directly to the inner most island ring. Their only task then will be getting across the water to the mainland and finding the way-station. Huge stroke of luck for a pair of first years."

"If they do indeed take the tunnel all the way. Last group to find a tunnel got scarred off by my little pet playing in the water outside."

Someone snorted at the use of the word "little".

@Petricus Euryale @Helena SKy @PhantomThief715 @Takashi

The larger group of four on the other side of the level quickly found themselves as far inward as the maze of pathways would let them go. They could always go back, but this island seemed different somehow. And its difference made it important.

Part of a pair (the twin visible in the distance) This island seemed to almost be a giant magic circle, the stones set in it marking out the pattern. In fact after closer inspection it was clearly be a transportation circle overlaid over something else. at it's center sat a stone pillar, much like those that marked to school boundaries and held up the protection spells. This one too bore a riddle.

A riddle lies before you,
while failure lies behind.
To get past this puzzle,
you must use both strength and mind.
One person at a time
may wear the shoes at hand.
The magic bestowed upon them
will get you from land to land.
Your fellows you may carry,
to get across the way,
but shoes only once may wear
if fairly you would play.
Belongings transferred after
when once you do succeed.
Fear not, the game can reset
should you find the need.

Below in clear language was precise instructions on how to reset if not everyone could get across (placing a palm over the green mark on the pillar) and assurances that belongings would be swapped for the shoes once all the living beings were on the other side.

The shoes in question were a bright red pair of sequin converse that had been hung from one edge of the pillar. They would shrink or expand to fit the wearer and allow them to walk across the water to the other island as if on solid land. The water between the two was a clear purplish stripe indicating the area where the magic would work.

The rules were clear. One person could wear the shoes at a time and each could only wear them once, but all had to make it across. Only from the other island could they continue on. There was even a clear bridge leading from the far island toward the center rings.​

Last edited:
Nerezza

Erza stared at the shoes in wonder thinking about how this could go. The big question was how to get the shoes to the one side to the other. One idea she had was one would piggy back another to the other side and the one being piggy back put the shoes on and went back carting another. And keep on until everyone was across. Another could be teleporting the shoes back to the group. There were a few ways to go about this but before she's comment on any of the ways she thought about, she'd see what her team had to say first.

Vinno stared at the flustered Wolfgang for a moment, she had some trouble understanding why he was suddenly panicking for kicking up sand. There wasn't any danger, it's not like she was going to attack him for doing so, or anything of that sort. She doesn't know that the young man was just apologetic, Vinno was always quite slow on picking up those things, seeing people panic in front of her didn't bring up the best memories either. After a moment the boy brought up working together with other students, still seeming somewhat nervous, Vinno barely thought about that considering her ability to deal with people, and their nervousness of the person in front of her wasn't helping. She yawned while rubbing the dark patches under her eyes, refocusing her vision on Wolfgang, who is now on his broom again, kindly offering his broom to help. Vinno wondered why he's doing that, most people she met tended to stay away from her.

"Man, calm down ." Vinno yawned again and ran her hand through her messy raven colored locks, "It's not like I'm going to bite you." She waited for the third year to get a better composure before responding to his request. "It's fine, don't worry about me, the wind during broom travel flays my lungs." Reaching into her long coat pocket, Vinno pulled out an smooth looking rock, and tossed it into the air. The object dropped into the sand, and with a small dust cloud transformed into a faded black and beat up looking messager bag. From a crack in the rusted zipper a strange looking broom which's handle is piled with metal parts and gears can be seen, the metal hinges folded up the usually long device nicely. Transformation magic, still stays the same weight though, as Vinno's one year of transformation classes still wasn't enough for more through transformations. "Besides, it'll be too easy if we can just all fly out of here,"

For a moment she purposely ignored the thrid year beside her as she went onto doing something she was going to do. A casting circle on a piece of paper was pulled from the bag, Vinno laid it on the ground and drew a few more lines on it. She looked at the circle for a while, and the gazed around the surrounding waters and islands.

"I guess so then." Looking back at Wolfgang. "My homing spells were blocked." While rolling up the paper and returning her bag to her coat pocket, Vinno half expected him to have taken off already, but was somewhat surprised that the third year was still there. "Broom speed limitation, protective charms, barrier spells, anti-transportation magic..."

Vinno dusted off some of the sand on her clothes while trying not to breath any in, while gazing around for a best direction to travel by foot in. "Still want to work together?" She asked Wolfgang, "We're all gonna be walking."

Last edited:
  • Love
Samantha leapt down into the underwater tunnel. Unfortunately, she forgot one little thing, and the self-propelled ice chunk came down, too, clocking her upside the head. She rubbed the new lump on her skull. "Ugh. Serves me right." The redhead turned to Leilani. "Looks like the only way out is forward. I just hope we don't run into that sea monster- that seems like too much of a challenge for a first-year."

Yumi had arrived in Luna Shire early that morning. Her luggage was taken straight from the train to her dorm in Sphinxhill, leaving her with a bit of spending money to use for the day. First item on the list, to check in. She found the Tea Room with ease, this being her third year and all. "Thank you, Professor Turk," Yumi would muse with a light bow of her head upon receiving the instructions and bracelet. She spent the rest of the day exploring the city, stopping in her favorite shops to browse their wares. She would stop and have a late lunch at a little cafe right on the corner of the main square, taking her time as she ate. Her soft teal eyes would drift from person to person, pausing on anyone or anything of interest before moving onto the next.

Being her third year at Luna Hall, Yumi was a little nervous for the term to get start. She was a natural when it came to magic, making her in the top 1 to 2 percent of her class. The attention made her nervous. As did the pressure to continue to aim for the top by her family. Her father in particular was a strict man, anything less than perfection was highly frowned upon. A soft shiver rolled through her as Yumi continue to drift through the town again. The thought of her father made a knot form in her stomach. Shaking the thoughts away, Yumi would soon pause as she checked the time. She hadn't realized how dark it had gotten already. It was nearly eight o'clock. The Headmaster's voice would soon catch her attention. Blinking, Yumi would look to her bracelet as she listened quietly.

Just a few short minutes later, the transportation spell kicked in. As she appeared on a sun drenched island beach, Yumi would shiver lightly. She had landed on her feet, used to transportation spells by now, but it didn't make them feel any less ... weird for Yumi. She would listen to the remaining instructions as she let her teal gaze drift around her surroundings. It was certainly different from last year. As the voice of Headmaster Scritch faded away, Yumi would look to the pack at her feet. Grabbing it, she would slip one of the straps over her left shoulder before reaching into her pocket. A black silk ribbon was now in her grasp as she reach for her wavy black locks. Using the ribbon to tie back her hair, Yumi would set off.

Headmaster scritch was no fool. Being that things were at a first year level, flying would be at a minimum, and transportation and homing spells would also be limited. There were probably protection spells in place throughout the various levels to prevent any of the later year students from taking the easy way to the center. With an assured nod of her head, Yumi would set off from starting place. Hopefully she would stumble on some students as she went inland. Yumi wasn't quite sure how long it had taken her when she reached the large clearing. In the clearing was a rather gorgeous statue with a plaque that read:

Everyone has me but nobody can lose me. What am I?

Only the answer will lead the way.

Blinking lightly, Yumi would glance to her left and then two her right. There were two forks, one on either side of the statue. A riddle to solve to figure out the right way. Clever. Tapping her chin, Yumi would chew on her bottom lip as she would ponder the riddle. As she pondered what the riddle could mean, a dark spot on the ground near her feet caught her eye. Glancing its way, Yumi would shake her head with a chuckle, it was nothing more than her own shadow. "... That's it! That has to be it ..." She would muse to herself with a grin as she glanced to the base of the statue. There was its shadow, pointing towards the left fork. It was the only thing that made sense. With confidence in her steps, Yumi took the left fork, knowing it would take her to the second stage of their exam.

• Love
WOLFGANG WINTERMOSS
Interactions: Vinno (@Cresion Breezes), Iris (@Luma)
Wolfgang watched as Vinno worked, his nervousness being replaced with a small measure of awe at the older student. She was packing up before Wolfgang realized she'd asked him a question. "Ehhmm...."

With a cautious glance over at the younger students nearby, Wolfgang decided that they'd probably be fine by themselves. Vinno was ready to go, anyway, and it'd probably be best not to dally any longer under the strange, magical sunlight. Wolfgang turned back to Vinno and nodded assertively. "Sure; let's go together, then."
A short time later, the pair found themselves approaching Iris, who seemed to have set off by herself. Wolfgang didn't know Iris too closely yet, though he'd seen her various times last year at Luna Hall. It was for this reason he lingered a bit behind, slowing to a halt before coming too close to the suit of arms. Wolfgang could read the plaque upon it from this distance, and he did so, motioning then for Vinno to go forward and investigate it if she liked. He didn't have a lot of confidence in his ability to solve this particular riddle, though a few ideas began to swim around in his mind. If neither Vinno nor Iris could figure it out, maybe he'd give it a try. But for now, Wolfgang stood his broom on end and propped himself against it, simply trying to guess at how the magical barriers were constructed.

Iris glanced down one path, and then the other. There was a very real temptation to chance it and go 50/50 in a random direction, but the riddle was enchanting. So enchanting, in fact, that it managed to completely stall her there as she thought it through.

"Okay... you need the same answer, whether he's a liar or not. Which means... the question has to involve whether or not he's lying? So if I asked him if it was true that he's a liar AND the path is left, then if the path is right and he answer's no...."

Iris began to wander around, pacing in circles as she thought it through. Truth be told, she didn't really like riddles, but she absolutely HATED failing to solve them, which was a big part of the reason why. As the others finally caught up to her, she glanced over in there direction, pausing for a moment before continuing the circles.

Strange, though. She would've expected those two younger girls to be the first to arrive, but they were nowhere to be seen. Instead it was Wolfgang and... Vincent or whatever his name was. Great; more people to solve the riddle before her. As if she didn't already feel stupid enough from the last several minutes of failure.

The walk towards the magical barriers didn't do Vinno any good, the light burnt her eyes and the wind wasn't helping. She didn't show any signs of it, but deep down she started to feel slightly fatigued, well, slight actual fatigue instead of the usual act. It seems that there was already someone at the barrier, it was a girl with long black hair, looks a bit on the younger side too. Wolfgang seems not so familiar with her either, judging by his action of reading the plaque from a distance and not even initiating a conversation. Vinno lingered behind a little too, she narrowed her eyes at the plaque, trying to read it, but it was no good as the sunlight made her eyes feel like raisins. A moment later Wolfgang moved out of the way while signalling her to go up to read while he himself moved out of the way.

Glancing at Wolfgang, who was standing around with his broom, and the younger girl Iris who was walking in circles while mumbling at an incomprehensible volume, Vinno hypothesized that neither of them knew a answer, or at the very least knew a certain answer. Returning her vision to the plaque she skimmed through the words half-heartedly. To be frank, Vinno couldn't care less about getting through the entrance exam with flying colors, it clashed with her general image within the school too much. The plaque was straight forward enough despite it's traditional word choice and oracle-ish mumbo jumbo. "Knights and Knaves, huh?" Vinno muttered under her breath. It was one of the oldest tricks in the books, but this was just an entrance test after all. The interesting part about the riddle was how it differed from the classic Knights and Knaves riddle, as this one only have one armor, and one question. Sure, it was more difficult compared to the original, but as long as she can abuse conditional questions enough...An answer already formed in Vinno's mind, her parents had taught her well after all.

Despite forming an answer, Vinno backed down from the plaque and inspected the defensive barriers. Similar to the ones used around the school, those barriers seemed. It was pretty much impossible for anyone at a prep-school student level to break through by force, so the riddle was their only chance. She looked back at the younger boy and girl, and slowly realized that absolutely no one had talk yet. The reading of the plaque made her insides feel more dead by the second, she stretched her arms a bit and yawned, wondering if the two other students would do anything. She doesn't want to seem to competent at school, even if she was a fourth year at a first year level exam.

Looking back at Iris, Vinno suddenly realized she doesn't even know who that younger girl is. Sitting down and leaning against the plaque with her eyes half closed, Vinno waited for a reaction from the other two, while directing a question to the long haired girl.

"So...who are you?"

"Iris," she answered, pausing only for a brief moment to gaze off to her side and see who had asked. Then, that brief moment ended, and she continued to silently wander in circles.

Wolfgang watched Vinno as she went to investigate the riddle. She seemed to know what she was doing, so his eyes wandered over to Iris again, trying not to stare. A few moments passed in silence, which began to make Wolfgang feel rather... awkward. Thankfully, Vinno spoke up, though Iris' noncommital reply was a letdown. Wolfgang sighed, and tugged at his hair quietly. "Vinno?" Wolfgang spoke up tentatively. "Do you know what the answer is?" He glanced at Iris again to see what she was thinking about.

It's fine, we're just not used to each other yet. Same thing happens every year. I think it'll be better once we get through this puzzle. Wolfgang stifled a yawn, and began to wander forward to poke at the magical barrier on the left.

Vinno looked up to Wolfgang as he asked the question, slightly annoyed after being snapped out of her dazed dream. The girl responded to her question too, it was just a name, nothing too exciting. The mellow attitude of the other two didn't get Vinno's spirits up at all, in fact it did the opposite. Vinno leaned back again and thought about being able to just relax in her dorm at school instead of being stuck on this sun burnt beach. It motivated her a bit, but gazing back at the two younger students, she thought about whether she should let them tag along. After all, her situation was complicated . Yawning, Vinno decided that getting more sleep is the more important thing now, she got up and headed up to the suit of armor.

"If I should ask you 'which is the path that will lead us to the shortcut' what path shall you point us to?"

It was a simple conditional, the one the armor points them to would be the correct path. If it was honest, then it would lead them down the shortcut' path if they had asked 'which path is the shortcut' directly. Inversely, it would point to the wrong path if they asked 'which is the shortcut' directly, but since it always lies, it will point to the correct part if the question was put into a conditional.

Vinno looked back at Wolfgang and Iris, to be frank she didn't really care that much about whether they make it through or not, but if she just dumped them here it might be awkward if they meet again.

"Ummm...come if you trust me, I guess." She threw down the words as she headed towards the path the armor lead her to after the question.

His head spinning from the trying to figure out the logic of Vinno's question, Wolfgang simply nodded in a daze, and trotted after her with only a short glance across at Iris. "C-coming."

Iris glared Vinno down with a death stare. What if he was the liar? Then the knight would just.... oh, wait a minute. Huh. Her expression fell back to its usual neutral. What a baffling riddle. So much simpler than she'd imagined, and yet still somehow hard to figure out.

Wordlessly, Iris followed alongside Wolfgang, without so much as meeting his eyes. It was good to see at least one vaguely familiar person, even if they weren't that close, but that didn't mean talking was easy, so she just... wouldn't.

• Love
Leilani looked at the creature in awe, stopping dead in the tunnel and putting one hand on Soot as she watched.
"I don't think we have to fight it... I hope not. Look at it-- it looks like it's enjoying itself, almost like it's-- well-- dancing," she breathed, staring for a long moment before shaking her head.
"Hey, I'm sorry, did I introduce myself? I'm Leilani. Do you want to hang your stuff on my broom so you don't have to carry it? The broom won't run off or anything, and it's able to carry a lot of weight."

She slipped her pack on it to prove it, and as she did, she noticed where the ice had hit Samantha in the head.
"Do you want a bandaid or something? I have a little first aid kit with me-- y'know, seemed like a good reason as any to carry one."

• Love
@daird @Midian

The light filtering through the water to the glass tunnel was plenty to see by, but just in case there were little lantern style lights spaced equidistant along the floor to illuminate their way. Each gave off a soft white glow that didn't quite reach the curved ceiling, casting their faces into awkward shadows. But at least they could see where their feet were going.

As the light grew dimmer and the need for the lanterns became more apparent, Soot managed to wiggle so much that he ended up sliding out from the hem of Leilani's shirt, landing with an awkward thump on the glass floor. The kitten shook his head a moment as if clearing it before slowly starting to explore their new surroundings. He stayed close by their feet however, pausing to sniff at each light curiously before scampering to catch up.

@Luma @Eru @Watase Yu @Cresion Breezes

When the conditional question was asked the armor took a single step with a pivot, turning it's body and raising an arm to indicate the left hand path. The barrier lowered with a crackling blue light one Vinno stepped forward with a clear intention to pass and didn't raise again until all three students had gone through.

Once on the other side they could see clearly what lay ahead, almost as if before their possible paths had been obscured by illusion.

To the right, the other path they could have taken extended into what almost looked like a knot of wood and stone work. Bridges above and under, crossings, steps, places where two and even five paths ran parallel, there was no telling what went where. Only that eventually there was a way out. Worse, they could make out a series of armor, their metal black like they one on the riddle island they had passed, pointing in random directions.often towards another armor. They could see a small group of students running from one suit to another, clearly lost and wasting a great deal of time.

Ahead on their own path lay a long is straight dock-like bridge that seemed to lead straight to a village of sorts built of little houses on stilts connected to a series of docks that ran like sidewalks. Suits of armor shining almost white, much brighter than one they had passed, dotted the area. Walking, fishing, and even shopping from what seemed to be a small market, in silence. Well silent aside from creaking joints. Every movement was mechanical in nature though the suits of armor themselves seemed benign. Some even waved in greeting as they passed. Everything was level and it would be easy to get from one point to another.

Other paths from other islands seemed to connect to the village and it was down one of these that Yumi found herself walking, easily able to see Wolfgang, Iris, and Vinno on their own path as she approached. There was space enough in the village to avoid each other if they wanted, though it was also enough space to see anyone already there or approaching.

One thing was clear however. While several paths came to the village only one led onward. A single dock jutting out to a sandbar extending from the next island. The center island, the one they were aiming for, was clear on the horizon. Large and green with what looked like a giant tree standing up from the center on a grass colored hill. They could vaguely see what looked like a white building, possibly a house, tiny against the tree's trunk. What might be a stone wall the color of terracotta ringed the large island's shore.

"Looks like a few have passed the riddles," Headmaster Scritch murmured as he preened his feathers.

"And a few more have gotten lost and others are still working on riddles," Sebastian added as he peered at the white box. "Although the group with the shoes shouldn't have too hard a time once they figure out the right order. As long as they carry their smallest and the smallest walks the shoes back then is carried again. Unfortunately someone is going to have to carry two people to make it work with the numbers they have...."

"You could send your pet to help them?"

"I could," Sebastian answered, "But lets see what they do first. How long it takes them. Anyone want to wager on it?"

"We don't want anyone to fail, Sebastian,"

"No, but we want them to learn and to learn they at least have to try."

@Petricus Euryale @Helena SKy @PhantomThief715 @Takashi

• Love
Reactions: Midian
Iris glanced around her at the strange village, as several suits of armor went about... daily business? How weird. She returned an awkward wave to a nearby suit of armor, which appeared to be fishing.

Aside from shiny suits of armor, Iris also spotted a familiar face approaching from another path. Her lips turned upwards in a soft smile as she waved again towards Yumi. Finally, someone she knew. Immediately, she broke apart from her current threesome without a word and approached the tanned girl.

"Yumi... hi. It's been a while," Iris greeted, before pointing towards the walkway leading to the central island. "I think that's the path forward over there if you'd like to come along with me."

Iris turned towards the main path and waited there, eyes impatiently watching the other two she'd arrived with, hoping they'd continue on forward without them.

@Watase Yu
@Eru
@Cresion Breezes

Gazing ahead, shielding his eyes from the light with his hand, Wolfgang looked out at the cozy village they'd just entered with a soft sigh of relief. Vinno had made the right decision. The white suits of armor ahead looked peaceful enough, though they also reminded him oddly of armored knights in an obscure tale, and he decided he'd keep his distance.

Movement from an adjoint path caught Wolfgang's attention, and he turned to see who was approaching. His eyes lit up as he recognized Yumi. She was another 3rd-year, in the same house as he, and someone he definitely recognized. Wolfgang took a step forward, but then was suddenly brushed past; Iris had charged forward and was dashing over to Yumi. He just stood still for a moment, trying to decide what to do, even as Iris seemed to talk with Yumi, then turned back to gaze at himself and Vinno imperturbably. Wolfgang blanched a bit, but took action.

He told Vinno quietly, "I want to go say hi, should be right back." Leaving her, Wolfgang took the same path Iris had a moment ago, approaching Yumi slowly and waving to her, glancing at Iris only once. "Hi Yumi! How have you been?" While it might be true that students in the same house foster more familiarity with each other, it had of course been several months since they'd met last. Wolfgang anxiously wondered if she'd forgotten him... or even, would rather go off alone with Iris, instead.

@Watase Yu
@Luma
@Cresion Breezes

Yumi wasn't sure how long she had been walking. When she had picked her path, she had felt the illusion fall away. The path now coming to an end, Yumi would come to a stop. Her teal eyes would dance over the village. She had seen some rather impressive things in entrance exams in years past, but this was quite impressive. Shields her eyes from the bright sun and the shimmering white suits of armor, Yumi would finish looking around. She quickly spotted another small group, but they were too far as of now to tell who they were.

Adjusting the strap of the backpack, Yumi would head forward, soon realizing who they were. Vinno, Iris, and Wolfgang. Vinno she had only ever seen in passing, being a forth year and all. Iris and Wolfgang she certainly knew though. Both being third years with her and Wolfgang from her own house. It was good to see two familiar faces. When her gaze fell on Wolfgang, they would light up with excitement. A voice would soon draw her from her thoughts. Looking away from Wolfgang with a faint blush, Yumi would look to Iris who was now headed towards her. "Iris. Yes, it has. Did you have a good summer?" Yumi would ask lightly before she looked to the path that she was pointing too.

Before she could answer, Yumi would look to Wolfgang has he made his way over. "Wolfgang, hi! I've been okay, better now that I am back at school and with familiar faces. Glad I ran into you two, I was beginning to worry that I was going to have to go through this years test alone. Would have been rather boring. How have you been? Good summer?" She would ask, awaiting his response before looking back to Iris. "Sure, if Wolfgang can come with. The more the merrier, right?" She would say with an easy smile, brushing a stray black strand of hair from her face. It was clear that Iris wanted to go ahead without the other two, but Yumi certainly wasn't going to leave her house mate behind. Besides, she liked Wolfgang.

@Eru
@Luma
@Cresion Breezes

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Vinno walked through the passage, out of the corner of her eye she can see the two third years follower her through. She didn't mind them, as she walked ahead into the village of armor. All of their motions were mechanical, no sign of organic life, and their bright white color hurts her eyes. They were probably some sort of puppet that are moved by magic. Vinno narrowed her eyes under the reflected light from the water, as she looked around the area. It was obvious where they were suppose to go, it seemed that she would be needing to be on the same path as Wolfgang and Iris for another stretch.

The sound of foot steps suddenly speeding up on the wooden boards came from behind her. Vinno kept on walking and ignored the girl that ran pass her towards another third year. She looked at Yumi, she didn't know Iris or Wolfgang because they were in different years, but she did recognize Yumi since she was one of those model students with high grades that you see at events. Iris ran up to Yumi and looked at her and Wolfgang in a kind of irritable way, while Wolfgang stopped in his steps for a second. Vinno kept on walking towards the white building in the distance, same speed, same steps. She only paused for a second when Wolfgang told her that he was going to greet his fellow peer, and turned towards the general direction of the third years. Hands in pockets, with the same tired look.

She watched as the third years had their conversation, Wolfgang became somewhat flustered again as Yumi replied with a standard answer on the situation. Vinno yawned again, wondering if she should just go on without them. Iris clearly has no intention of associating with her, Yumi she's never even talked to, and Wolfgang's probably just going along because she just happens to be the first person he met. Despite her clear desire to go on alone as the younger students have their little reunion, Vinno figured there would be no purpose to that course of action anyways, since they were all heading towards the white building.

"Alright then." Turning towards the trio of third years, Vinno walked forward a few steps. "So you two ran into Miss Model student there." It was in her usual tired voice. "I'll see myself out now, you guys probably don't need my help." She turned half around but remembered something, and stopped in her tracks. "After all, that first riddle was real easy, right?" Gazing over to Yumi, who obviously solved the first riddle on her own. "How hard could the second be?"

Her choice was correct, or at least Vinno believed so. The three third years probably didn't want her around, it was way better to be in the company of those who are in the same grade, as well as Yumi who seems to be able to do everything with perfection. Vinno didn't mind, it was just human nature. Besides, remembering Iris's reaction when she asked the armor the single question, it's hard for people to put trust in a third-rate student with grades barely above failing like her. Fourth year or not.

@Eru
@Luma
@Watase Yu

• Love
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Falcon and Eru
Vinno, the white knights, the seaside village, and the test were all momentarily forgotten. Yumi was happy to see him, and Wolfgang smiled quickly. "Summer was okay! Glad to see you, Yumi..." He trailed off, suddenly remembering the world around him. Iris' cool gaze from beside Yumi was a bit unsettling, but she seemed to be considering the suggestion to travel together.

Maybe the quiet girls can just go... wander off together, Wolfgang thought, rather unkindly. Gosh, this was harder than he'd expected -- it felt like he was abandoning Vinno so quickly, too. But, he'd really rather go with just Yumi at this point, unless they came across something difficult. It might take a bit, but hopefully they'd get used to each other, the same way they'd been as classmates last year. So, before anything else... Wolfgang did his best to put a smile back on his face again. "I'd like to c-come along, sure." He looked across at Iris, meeting her gaze for a second. What was she thinking?

Somebody was approaching from behind. Distracted, Wolfgang half-turned, to see Vinno walking slowly up.
"So you two ran into Miss Model student there."
What? That was a sudden shift in tone for her. Wolfgang was confused, but he didn't think that was something entirely kind to have said. "Um?" Wolfgang turned fully toward Vinno. "What do you mean by that?"

@Cresion Breezes
@Watase Yu
@Luma

• Love