Large Anime Story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@rechonq This got a bit wordy and isn't That Relevant so my response to you specifically is in this spoiler:
No need to be so facetious (and pings will be nice if you want me to respond). In any case that hardly answers my question. "Anime" does not have it's own tropes as much as Japanese Media has it's own tropes. Much of anime is adapted from manga, light novels, regular novels, games (especially visual novels), etc... As I mentioned in my original post if that's the case then it would be "anime-inspired" though given the point I just made in this very post "manga-inspired" would fit the bill as well. And as for netflix having one anime "genre" its not quite the same. It's more of a simple filtering system, they do the same thing with western animation with it having it's own category, as does "international movies" and "critically acclaimed." If I tell you I am going to watch a romcom you more-or-less know what to expect, if I say I'm going to watch an international movie or, heck- an anime, there is a lot of wiggle room there.
Which brings me back to the original reason why I brought up the "anime" thing in the first place. Just saying it's anime-inspired tells me abso-freakin'-lutely nothing about the plot. Lighthearted high school slice of life is just as iconic and "anime" as giant robot battles and ninjas who wear orange.

The point I'm trying to make is: You can't say "anime story" and expect me to jump on board right away. That tells me nothing about what to expect. I'm trying to gather more information about the rp itself, and also doing a bit of soapboxing about a big 'ol pet peeve of mine that "anime" is one singular entity that all Looks and Acts the same as if something like Kaiba looks anywhere similar to Tekkonkinkreet (and as if either of those look anything like what western pop culture thinks anime looks like!)
As for the actual rp itself now that I actually have some detail to work with:

First and foremost are you using Mado intentionally because that means "window" in Japanese like is this supposed to be a "window into the soul" kind of a thing or? Nama can mean a LOT of things depending on how its written so we can get everything from "living window" which sounds kind of cool to "raw window" raw as in crude/unfinished/etc which I guess could also work? It just sounds sillier.

If magic is so prevalent and can be used to do all sorts of things are there minor "magics" that can be used without a license? Like twirling your finger to stir your morning tea or pushing your chair back in? Just little every day conveniences. If all magic is illegal how is the police force alerted? Like, you mentioned there is a magic academy right? How could a police force lets say a couple miles away know the difference between schoolkids bending rules to play a harmless prank on someone vs an IMU using magic to light a cigarette instead of a lighter. Are there enchanted objects to help those that aren't magically gifted do some of the more mundane things throughout their day, given that so many things run on Mado? Do magically enchanted objects affect how well the police force can sniff out IMUs? What happens if a magically gifted child is born, but they cannot control their powers since they are like 2 years old? Does magic only manifest when you are older?
Can you be banned from using magic if you have a family history of illegal magic usage, even if that magic was benign or only if you have a family member that used actual forbidden magic? How is magic dealt with in the countryside or other countries, like if someone were to app a character that was a foreigner what sort of things could they expect?

Majis are a pretty neat idea but I also have a few questions for that aspect too. Is there an obvious difference between a maji that just exist on their own and those who are controlled? If not do maji face discrimination like they are expected to be subservient? Can a regular person, if rich enough, own a maji even if they have no magical skill themselves?

The new premise is interesting. AutumnWyvern has already asked most of the questions I have.

so what have you guys ironed out? before I add my own opinion

Hey guys!

@AutumnWyvern

These are super interesting questions! It forces me (and us) to imagine the world of Cherry Blossom Children in different ways. You're also right about the "anime" thing. I should make it "anime-inspired" instead, so thank you for that as well. I'm going to try and answer these questions one by one. So, here we go:

1. "Madou" means magic, sorcery, etc. I actually didn't know that Mado meant window, but I feel it can work both ways. I simply removed the "u" from it to make it look more.. simpler? it's proper spelling could be "Madō (魔導, Magic)" or "Mado (窓, Window)". I like both meanings. I meant for "Nama-mado" to mean "Natural/Raw Magic (魔導生, Natural Magic)". Nama doesn't actually mean "Living/Alive", it could mean "Live (i.e Not Recorded)" so they're two different things. "Natural Window" sounds good to me too.

2. Minor magics do exist. But even minor things can become powerful in the right hands. I'm assuming you mean magics that do not require much Mado exertion or thought. Can they be used without a license? I'd say yes. Magics also have ranks as well, but IMUs can only perform the lowest forms of magic until they get a license.

3. As far as the police force differentiating between innocent IMUs and IMUs with intention to harm, they have an item that works like this: A sensor/nullifyer device that picks up on Mado levels in the environment (using magic releases Mado into the surrounding area, it can't be destroyed, only created or reshaped). Lower magics or nonlethal magics are negated instantly when the officer is in close enough range to the IMU. Dangerous magics or higher magics cannot be negated by the device, and forces it's user to use magic to combat the IMU. That's how IMUs who only slipped up are separated from the IMUs who actually want to cause problems, since it's illegal for IMUs to use higher magics anyway.

4. Magical tools, sometimes known as Mado Influenced Products (MAPs), are things that respond to Mado and adjusts itself upon reaction to help the user. There are MAPs that the HPD use to combat their suspects, but those are only used by officers who pass their registration test (a test that is similar to the license exam, but is combat oriented, taken by only those who join the police force) with low numbers. MAPs are sometimes obtained by criminals, even their sensors (The Black Society are good at doing this). Criminals, such as the Black Society, have also developed their own MAPs from stolen ones, calling them Exes or XMAPs. Essentially, it is a magical tool that has had it's primary function switched or tweaked to cause diverse effects. For example, an Emitter is an XMAP that spews "artificial mado", causing the HPD's sensors to sometimes go haywire. There are also vests that soak up Mado to increase the user's ability, guns that fire the user's own concentrated Mado, and even gloves that transfer Mado through non-MAPs to strengthen them. MAPs are usually always weapons or things used by the police.

5. Infants and toddlers cannot use magic at all, magic is only accessed through tapping into your nama-mado, and that requires training and focus. There could be a case of a child with high-level nama-mado, but items called limiters suppress nama-mado so that's never a problem. All children with exceptional nama-mado are placed in the Academy of Aspiring Eccentrics (it's the central magic academy of Hanamono). The Academy provides knowledge in basic forms of magic and the basic history of the creation of magic, ancient spell casters, the "Earth-Splitting Wars", etc. Students graduate with their final exam, if they manage to pass it.

6. Those related to IMUs don't really have consequences. Benign illegal magic usage is handled differently. Those who are related to ancient spell casters that had affinities to forbidden magic have bad reputations. In the Earth-Splitting Wars, those who practiced forbidden magic were common occurrences, and man, the casualties that they caused were quite devastating. They later discovered that those who practiced forbidden magic were born to use it, implying that it's a blood thing. This means that with heavy usage, the essence of forbidden magic integrates into the user's own DNA. Descendants usually have an unusual nama-mado makeup.

7. Now, I'm rewriting the geography of Cherry Blossom Children. All of the countries will be fictional. Hanamono is the 1st Country to form after the Earth-Splitting Wars. Magic does exist in the other countries, but there is a "First Magic" for each country. A first magic is the country's most-used and most developed type of magic. In some countries, magic is not as developed, but each country does have knowledge of it. Hanamono's first magic is "Architect", the magic responsible for making Hanatsumi City's breathtaking skyscrapers, machinery, and other things. I will show the completed map when it's done.

8. Slave Maji and Free-Willed Maji have vast differences in personality. Slave Maji are not likely to communicate to with anyone else but their masters. Free-Willed Maji sort of feed off of social interaction to learn more about themselves and those that they share the world with. Maji who have just been formed literally create their own brains (called a thinkspace for them) based off of their own experiences, but Slave Maji have template brains that the user chooses from, which also forms their personality. Maji are generally subservient creatures, some more than others. Maji however have no problem doing jobs that are given to them and they lack the trait that makes them malevolent beings for some reason. They were used in the wars, but the best they could do was capture someone or create intimidation in enemy forces. The rich do purchase and create Maji.

2ccSQTI.jpg

I drew this map from scratch. This is what we're going off of in terms of other countries.

In the beginning, all of the countries were at peace with one another, they were also one single landmass. Since the arrival of the first spell casters, things took a turn for the worst. Various magics were introduced to the world, and war and chaos broke out. All of those who used magic was caught in a whirlwind of bloodshed. They say the hatred and blackness of these wars "split" the land apart, creating separate landmasses. However, it was something else.

One of the first spell casters, Enma Yama, used a forbidden magic known as "Genesis" to completely rearrange the geography to prevent more wars. He was successful, but he was then killed by the other spell casters due to interfering with the matters of mortals. His heart was turned to stone and buried underneath the seas.

Many years later, the spell casters left, and the world was silent. The wars had ended, everything was calm. The landmasses formed their own countries and cities, time progressed.

The countries are now trying to be at peace with one another.

Our story takes place mainly in Hanamono. The other countries are really explored later in the story.​

@Reach
A lesson in accents being important, I suppose. It could be worse, it's always funny when people forget the ñ in años. Anos means anus.
Jokes aside I really do appreciate taking the time to answer my barrage of questions, I didn't quite realize how much it was until after the fact >w>; Naturally I have more questions!!! But smaller scale ones...
If people are born into forbidden magic are there like... undergound families with this? Where people are married off with the hopes their kid would have amazing potential? I'd make a comparison to fire emblem awakening as an example but spoilers.
Has there been any effort to "cure" people of the forbidden magic influence? Either for the person's own personal gain or to help genuinely good people who just have unfortunate heritage?
Does this have any noticeable affect on health?
Can free willed maji accidentally do things that may seem rude or malevolent out of ignorance/misunderstanding? Like there is no bad intent, they just don't understand.

I think... That's it... For now...

@AutumnWyvern

No problem! These are good for me to do anyway.

1. Yes, they exist. There were about seven spell casters in the old ages, about three of them practiced forbidden magic. The three families are the Yama (Enma Yama), Dämon (Höllischer Dämon), and the Hēixīn (Chénmò Hēixīn). There are thought to be more lesser known hidden families, but they remain under the radar.

2. There's no cure as of late for the forbidden magic mutation. It's pretty invincible. Until a cure is found, descendants will just have to be locked away. There are these types of prisons all over the outer island (look at the map: it's the slim island in between Hanamono, Shandian, and Erde). The countries just can't risk another war. Being related to a forbidden magic user doesn't really affect health. They blend into society.

3. Of course. Free-Willed Maji make plenty of mistakes, but they only have to make a mistake once to never do it again.

• Thank You
Reactions: AutumnWyvern
Good to see developments on the backstory with the three ancient families. Opens up a fair deal of plot potential, like the viva la revolution mentioned earlier.

Same, it keeps getting better.

Thanks for the support guys.

Now, if we're all out of questions, I feel we can move to the next step??

Making a sign up thread for it???

By all means, go ahead.

I was browsing today and I happened to find this and im certainly interested.

Sure, unless you want to wait for me to think of something else... I'm sure i could if I thought hard enough lmao

*pokes head in*
Can I join?

Sees this... Could our characters be like a human experiment? Someone who was mutated through having magic practiced them or experimented on by some Big bad for reasons?

@Karyra
@Ginutusu
@Unyielding

The three of you are welcome to join!

To Unyielding, that sounds interesting. Now, magic is something that is born within everyone, there's only been a few people who had absolutely "zero namamado". I don't really see a reason why someone would need to be experimented on, but thinking about it, here's at least one:

1. A special magic. The character could be experimented on for a "certain magic" to be successful. You can work out those details, and I'll see if it can happen.

I can visualize a magic mutation happening, where one's namamado levels are fluctuating unnaturally, causing the level of external and internal mado to react dangerously.

Now, I'm going to do a quick count of those participating!

@Sanctus
@AutumnWyvern
@Crow
@Karyra
@Ginutusu
@Unyielding
@Tarieles
@Mami Tomoe
@rechonq
@Jessica2477

I've counted in the newest users and those who've responded at least twice.

@YuriLucien
@Ryth

I'm not sure about the two of you. Please check in to make sure you're being part of this.

Are we ready?

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Jessica
Status
Not open for further replies.