Kylen's Interdimensional Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris only caught part of what he was saying, but she raised her drink when he did. "Yes." She agreed quietly. She took another sip of the drink as she studied the strange creature in front of her. Her head was spinning as she tried to decipher his last explosion of words. She really had difficulty understanding him, but she didn't want to be rude and say so. She thought it was something about family ties and business.

He had finished washing his mouth with/drinking a bottle of Bloodroot Wine. "Alright. *cough* I feel better. Nice potion, Doc." Thumbs up. He pointed to Chris' chest. "That fucking thing is blessed by Angels. I swear it."

Chris frowned a bit. "Angels? Goddess, no. A tiny little village like ours, being visited by angels?" The mere thought made her want to laugh. She'd started to doubt the existence of angels. With so many demons and evil spirits running rampant there was no way anything was watching over her.

Wir glances at the amulet, scratching his chin. "Angels? Pair-haps." He then goes into more detailt: "But zat eez jus' one force opposed to ze demons, eez eet not? From ze vorld I am from, zere are ac-too-ally seex celestial races!" He holds up the number on his hands, looking quite proud: "Agathion, Angel, Archon, Azata, Garuda, an' ze Peri." He titters once more, going into a rather long rant about it in his native tongue. Tragically, nothing seems to be getting through. He even finds the time to cast a few illusions to represent the physical forms of them, including a powerful lion-like race, a stunningly beautiful woman with rainbow feathers, and a white-garbed demon with a proud look. Each fit in the palm of his hands, and the wizard just seemed to go on with it. Far from being boring, the lecture was actually somewhat comical: the evil-looking bat-creature seemed to be enjoying himself, heedless that no one could even really understand what he was trying to say, though the gist was there: the differences between those celestial races. He ends with: "Eez eet not ze same vere 'oo are from?"

He nods, proudly: "Ah do not look eet, but I 'ave jus' ze tiniest touch of celestial blood, on mah fazzer's side. Agathion! Ze animal-laik race zat eez said to be the peace-maker between ze zealous Angels an' ze carefree Azata. To prevent zem from... 'oo know, fight-eeng each ozzair." His ears droop, "I vas hop-eeng to share blood vit' ze Psychopomp. Ze wing-ed be-eengs zat serve my Goddess, Pharasma. Alas!" He chuckles, "Ah vill jus' 'ave to settle from zair visitations. Ze northern men 'ave a word for zem! 'Valkyrie'. Pair-haps a prettier vord, non?"

Kylen came up from the back, lugging a keg of some kind. "Oosh. Friggen Warehouse 14 down there, I swear. Hello to our new guests, by the by. I do hope everyone has been polite."

7d7ceb2a2ad54b9a.jpg

The door to the bar creaked open, though with the many customers today, it might've gone unnoticed to those not facing the entrances. A tall figure, around 7ft, leaning on a cane, entered, then threw his hood off to reveal his face. It was old, pale, wrinkly, covered in burn scars and what hair remained was blue, yet the old man seemed friendly and content. Even if your eyes did not want to look at him. Something was off, your vision seemed to trail away from him should you not give him your full attention.
As he approached the bar, he took off an amulet around his neck, and stashed it away in his pocket. The focus was returned now. To those who knew, it was no mystery; a perception filter. Now you could even see the drops of sweat forming on his pale forehead, reflecting the lights inside. He was human, no doubt, but he did not look his best. Far from it, in fact.

Halfway towards the bar, the man fell to his knees, dropping the cane as his right hand shot towards his chest, gripping the cloak as tight as it allowed him. The other hand reached underneath the cloak, and returned with a vial with a red fluid inside. The old man promptly drank all of it, then dropped the vial and gasped for air. The grip around his cloak loosened, his hand reached for the cane, and slowly but surely, he raised again.
"Excuse me. Give me.. Give me.. Uhm.. Darn, what was it named? Vodka, peach schnapps, orange juice and cranberry juice. Give me that." He ordered with heavy breaths. "Oh, and the name's Maulnar. Maulnar Davion Evermead." Maulnar added, and proceeded to take a seat.

T.B. almost leapt off the bar to get to the old man, but he stopped when he saw him slowly get up. He shook off the mans request for a drink, his hands crackling furiously with magic since he was so nervous. "Whoa, whoa old timer, calm down. Fuck the drinks, are you ok?" T.B. had a concerned look on his face and he was holding Davion's shoulder.

Chris darted towards the old man too, but stopped when she saw T.B. going. She still would rather keep her distance from him. "You are the strangest demon I've ever seen." She muttered, almost to herself. She nodded when he started talking to the old man. "Yes, are you alright? I can get you some water." She offered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maulnar smiled amiably at the friendly people trying to assist him as he regained his composure. "Yes, just my own mortality catching up. Being human isn't very fun when you're as old as I am." He told them, coughed a few times, then pushed T.B.'s hand off his shoulder. The dark magic he possessed did not aid Maulnar in his already weak health. "Now, if you don't want an old man dying in your bar, please bring me what I requested. 'Tis part of the mixture I require." Maulnar continued, looking at the man who tried to help him up. His gaze fell upon the fleshy hole inside T.B.'s face. Unease filled his body, though he kept to himself, for he would not be standing there would that be as fatal as Maulnar expected it to be. Still, his doctor's oath wanted to inspect the wounds, and help the man.

The smile returned to his face, as he brushed the thought aside. "Trust me. I should be long dead, but I know how to keep my body running. Now, if you please. Vodka, peach schnapps, orange juice and cranberry juice." He insisted.

T.B. didn't see the magic on his hand, but the gesture made him see."I....I'm sorry. Sex on the Beach." He laid his hand on the bar and lifted it, revealing the drink underneath. "It's the name of the drink, my friend."

Maulnar took a sip, and his breathing calmed down. His eyes lit up in a faint green glow as a slight aura of warmth and healing came from him for a second, but faded quickly. Maulnar seemed much more alive now, despite his age.
"Right, that was the name. Pardon me. The more you know, the easier you forget, no?" He chuckled, and took a hearty swig of his glass this time. It would seem from here on out, drinking would be for drinking, not medicinal purposes. "I'm much more prone to remembering recipes than names anyway. It's a bit of a bad habit, but when you're an experimental alchemist, you can't really be sure whether a certain mixture already has a name or not." Maulnar continued in his sweet, raspy, old voice. It was soothing to listen to, like a grandfather telling tales of his past, this man could probably fill the night with stories.

Turning his head to get a good look of his surroundings, Maulnar noticed that there was quite the variety in species in this establishment. Far more than can be a coincidence. Far more than could be from the same planet. Yes, even Maulnar has seen quite a few, but never had they been this different in appearance and magical auras.
"What.. What dimension are we in?" Maulnar asked hesitantly. He wasn't sure what to expect from this place he stumbled upon.

"Many and none at once. This is a crossroads, my friend, where many people from all dimensions come to drink. This is Kylen's Interdimensional Bar, run by the other asshole behind the bar." He waved, spiting him. "Don't worry, they don't bite." He started to wrap his face again, but the bandages went red within seconds, but again, not enough for it to drip. "So you're an alchemist, eh?"

Maulnar's gaze fell upon the other attendant behind the bar, an Anthro, canine. These kind of creatures weren't new to him, he's been in that kind of world before. He kept staring at the combination of humanesque, and canine features. It brought back memories of his youth.

Back then and there, the human race was at the brink of war with Anthro-kind. While neither side dared make a move, they knew better than to try to thread in enemy territory. His fascination for magic, something mankind did not possess, lead him to study alchemy instead. As a child, he already made many mixtures with various effects, harmless and harmful, useful and useless. It was all too wonderful.
Decades later, Maulnar has become an expert in both alchemy and magic. It was only through the combination of both that he managed to create interdimensional portals. Now, the old man wanders reality, trying to learn everything there is to possibly know.

"Y.. Yes, and no." He said, slowly returning to reality, as the flashbacks ended. "Doctor, Surgeon, Experimental Alchemist, Magical Analyst. Whichever you like. They're not really professions, more like hobbies of mine. I picked up the experience along the way. Always wandering, always learning." He explained. "And you're.. horribly disfigured, yet undisturbed by what would usually be a fatal injury. There must be an interesting story behind that." Maulnar said, shifting his position to sit more comfortable. His gaze was filled with interest, pleading for the creature before him to tell the tale behind the scar. "If you will, I've got time."

Zri rose up from his deat in all of a sudden, and walked over to the bar, taking a seat next to the old man who had just entered. "Indeed, it could be interesting to hear... Maybe we all could share a few stories?" The pale infernal said, straightening his suit with his hands, and put his drink on the bar for a refill with one tentacle. Two more seemed to lean towards the old man.

"I'm a Greater Duke of Hell. A shadow demon by the name of Tenebrae Lucanus Kamaria. T.B. for short." He filled the infernal's glass, before taking off the bandages, it making a wet ripping noise. He shifted to the other side of the bar and took a stool next to Maulnar. "Here. You wanted to look, look." The wound was bloody, but over a few seconds, the blood started to soak back into his face, leaving it pink instead.

Chris winced when T.B. tugged the bandages away from his face again. It really looked awful. She was a little interested in listening to some of these peoples' interesting stories. She didn't really have much to share herself though. She had an overall boring life, especially when compared to these men.

Maulnar gazed upon the gaping wound with both interest, and the least bit of disgust. Blood, flesh, not quite acting as it normally should. A Greater Duke of Hell? How interesting. "It's certainly.. Unnatural. Have you always been like this? There must be a better solution than simply covering it up with bandages, for they do little, as it would seem. Healing, demonic healing, skin-growth, replacement. Anything would be better than that." He suggested, going over various recipes of magic and alchemy alike to create the desired results.

He then raised his hand, and slowly moved it towards T.B.'s face, wanting to touch it and inspect it closer. The old man certainly wouldn't mind some demon blood, either. You can just never have enough powerful ingredients for a conjuring of magics. Yes, the more you know.. and who knows how much this man knows?
"Oh, my apologies. I tend to get far too interested for my own good." Maulnar said, and pulled his hand away from T.B.'s face. Instead, he began to awkwardly scratch his blue beard, then turned towards the infernal next to him. "Yes, yes. Stories. Why not just relax, have a few drinks, and tell some tales, no?" He laughed, still feeling awkward for almost touching the demon's face.

But now something else was there beside him. More powerful magic-users, no doubt! How did a mere mortal find himself amidst these arcane beings all of a sudden? Sure, Maulnar managed to hop across dimensions a few times, finding himself meeting many different races, types of magics, and alternate humans. But this, this was quite impressive nonetheless.
"Could do with a campfire and some 'mallows, though." He chuckled under his breath.

It stays like this because this was the state my body was in when I died. I am host to the demon's power, nothing more. But the power is great, so I have a cozy little spot in Hell next to Malphas and Adramalech." He got a vial from one of Maulnar's bags. He filled it with his blood, handing it back to him. "I am always a fan of the Alchemical Arts, this should be enough to help you in your studies. It isn't every day you meet a demon, even rarer one of my caliber."

With a jaw wide open, Maulnar stared in disbelief at the demon simply handing over his blood. The always ask for something, anything, but just giving it away was completely new to him. The old man quickly closed his mouth, and shook his head, then bowed his head slightly and thanked T.B. for his most generous offer. The vial gained a label reading "Demon blood: Greater Duke of Hell" before being stashed away again.
"I see. Fixed appearance through demonic powers. Reminds me of this wolf Anthro-pup I used to know. Very sweet thing, just a tad bit misunderstood. He was a... Well, necromancer of sorts. He gave his own life-force to the dead to temporarily reanimate them. Sadly, it made him age significantly faster than anyone else. He was one of the first non-human sentients I've ever met, and he certainly helped me get as far as I've come today. Ah, the good times." Maulnar began, thinking back of the times of young. He quickly took a sip of his drink. Another flashback appeared before his eyes, though this time he was speaking as well. Whoever cared enough to listen, would now learn something about the history of Maulnar.

"We were at war at the time. Any interaction between our kind was unheard of, we'd kill each other before asking any questions. But I was so very interested in magic, and still am, I just had to come up with a way to enter their territory. They had magic, we didn't, and it was so fascinating that they did things scientifically impossible to achieve. Unfortunately, Anthros have better senses than us humans, and wouldn't be so easily tricked by a mere cloak to hide one's features under, so I had to come up with something better. Nights I spent pondering how to best go about it, but it always came down to them being able to smell me. That's when a stray cat was making a scene out on the streets. Like a gift from heaven, I caught the thing, then replicated her scent, and made my cloak smell the same. Finally, I had found a way.
Not a moment passed before I left my hometown, and ventured into Anthro-land. I was nervous, oh yes, but I knew I couldn't be, for I sweating would increase my human scent, blowing my cover. I took a few deep breaths before continuing my trek, hoping, praying it would work. It smelled like cat to me, but it wasn't myself whom needed fooling, it were dogs and cats I had to fool. It didn't take long for the Anthros to smell and approach me, I froze in place, and awaited their response. The first thing they asked was if they could help carry my things, I had them all completely fooled with the cat scent. Save for one.
A young ambitious pup, the necromancer one. He did not let his senses fool him, no, he stared into my being, and saw the human I was. But he did not attack me. Then and there I knew that not all were fooled by the old legend. That not all were foolish enough to believe the lies that we've been fed for generations. That within everyone lies good, for we all just want to live happy and comfortable lives, do we not?"
He paused for a moment, looking upon the demon and the infernal sitting next to him. He wasn't even sure if either of the two were listening to his tale, but that didn't even matter to this old man. Rambling on and on was one of his specialties. "Yes, happiness. Though not everyone attains happiness through the same methods. I'd like to ask what you two do for fun on a lazy saturday evening, but I fear the answer." Maulnar stated, and drank the remainder of his drink, before ordering something else.

"Do you perhaps have one of those drinks that look like a rainbow? They're lovely. I can't get over it. Beauty in simplicity, I'd say." He requested as he leaned on the bar, then retrieved a pouch, creating many different jingling sounds, though most of them sounded like good old gold coins. "What do I pay with here, by the way? I've got gold, silver, copper, bronze, adamantium, mythril, bone, platinum, paper ... All sorts of money."

( Sorry about my absence. Holidays and a blown tire, amirite? )

Kylen listened, glad that T.B. had calmed a little. Listening to the story, the coyote smiled. "That one can be on the house, oldtimer. Maybe T.B. would like to tell us why a Hell Duke works as bartender. Maybe in exchange I'll tell one of my own historh...or maybe the bar's."

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.