It's a Dog Eat Dog World: Act 2

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: It's a Dog Eat Dog World: Act 1

Matthew glared at the man and then watched as Josie walked over to his side. His hand clenched thegun and his finger was on the trigger just itching to kill him. " Fuck you..so haven wants us alive or better yet i guess on of us. He knew they wanted either Josie or him but his gut feeling was saying Josie.

He shot Martin in his other arm and theb he poibted the gun back at his head. " Well now it seems that Annie's gonna have to find another man whos actually living..". Just as he was about to shoot, he felt like the room was spinning and he realized that he was looking too much blod and he fell to his knees. Then everything went dark.

"Fuck you! So, Haven wants us alive; or better yet, I guess one of us."

Josie looked up, turning pale at what Matt said.

"All I know is man, you guys are a hot commodity!"

"Well, now it seems that Annie's gonna have to find another man whos actually living..."

Josie was going to stop Matt, but something was happening to him. Before she knew it, he was falling backwards into her.

"Matt!!" She grabbed him under the arms, trying to keep both of them from hitting the floor. But, his weight threw her off guard and she fell backwards with him, landing hard on her hip. The gun slid across the hardwood floor and under the bed. She tried to wake him, finding that he had a large gash across his forehead as well as the gun shot in the arm.

Hell, where's security when you need them?

Martin saw an opportunity and pulled himself up on his feet. "Looks like I'm going to be able to cash in after all." He charged towards Jodie, grabbing her arm and dragging her from under Matt's unconscious form.

"Let go of me!" She twisted herself around to grab the guy's wrist. She pulled him hard and lifted a foot, finding a target right between his legs.

Martin took the kick, but only stopped for a moment. That was long enough for Josie to push herself up on her knees and throw a side kick in his gut. Now Martin released her arm, falling back into the lounge chair. Josie wasn't going to go fishing for the gun. She's not that great of a shot. But there was one thing that was right at hand. She ran to her side of the bed and grabbed her machete that hung on the headboard by its sheath.

Pulling it out she started to rush the guy, "I've got something to tell the Haven. You can give them the message, after I carve it in..."

"Stop!" Ace and three security men rushed in. Security automatically restrained Martin and Ace guided the machete away from Josie.

Her anger subsided into fear. "Ace...Matt!" Both of them were by his side instantly, and the third security man called for more assistance.

"Matt...Matt, please say something!" Josie used her end of her bathrobe tail to apply pressure to the wound on his shoulder while Ace checked his vitals.

"He's alive...but, from the way he looks all this blood is apparently his. We've get him to the infirmary."

Josie held onto the tears, trying to hold them back. Trying to piece together why they had to be so unlucky. That Haven leader cursed them before he died, she just knew it.

Matthew could barley keep his eyes open all he saw was ace and then Josie, who was on the verge of tears. Looking around his eyes were trying to settle on what he was going on. The sound of people talking was only a mumble from him. He tried to move but he felt a sudden pain in is arm and he couched a couple of times until is mouth tasted of metal.

" Pl..pl...please stop crying im fine". He closed his eyes and tried to relax. His arm was in serious pain and he knew the bullet wet to the bone. Moving slightly he hopped they get the bullet out soon.

"I'm not crying...," Josie tried to remove several tears that slipped out of hiding off her cheek. "Besides, it's just a scratch, right?" She smiled, happy to see him responsive.

Ace soon had several people in his penthouse, but it wasn't for a party. Security had Annie in her room, asking her questions about Martin, of whom she just met a month ago when they applied for jobs at the ISH. She told them that he was worried about his finances, and when Ace's friends came, he recognized them from flyers being circulated around town.

"I tried to talk him out of this, but he's so on edge..."

Josie dressed and went with the medical staff to the infirmary with Matt and stayed their while they rushed him to surgery. Ace tried to get her to go back to the penthouse to eat and rest, but she didn't want to be there by herself. No place was safe anymore. Ace realized what was happening to her, but gave her some space for the moment.

When the surgery was over, Josie waited until the nurse staff had him settled in the recovery room. Impressed already about the ISH having an mini emergency floor was one thing, but to have a highly prestigious staff was awesome. Josie sat beside Matt's bed, her head resting on her folded arms near his legs. Her fingers sat on his hand, waiting for any movement to alert her when he woke up.

Everything was a blur one minute he was in the room looking up at Ace and Josie, then there was alot of people sourrounding him, after that darkness. His eyes opened to be staring up at a bright light and a few people in whiter were putting on gloves and then he noticed he was in the infirmry room.

He didn't know what they gave him but within minutes everything when dark again. Slowly but surley he opened his eyes and blinked a few times realizing he was in the room still. His arm was heavily bandaged and it hurt like hell still but it was kina numb. When Matt looked down he saw Josie. Her head was rested on him and she was holding his hands. He wanted to speak but he couldn't he felt weak, He moved his finger and then finally his hand.

Josie lifted her head quickly as soon as she felt the movement of his fingers on hers.

"Matt..."

She scooted up in her chair, moving closer to his head so he could see her without causing himself pain. She secured his hand in hers tightly and gave a weary smile.

"How are you feeling?"

All Matthew could do was look at her. His mouth felt complety dry and he watched as she scooted up close to him. " I....i...im...". He couldn't really speak but he pointed tword the glass of water on the side of the bed.

Picking up on the hint, Josie grabbed the glass and placed a bendy straw in it. She guided the straw to his lips trying not to spill any water on him as he drank. When he was done, she returned the glass and sat back down again. She didn't want him talking too much, wanted him to conserve his energy, but she wanted to know his thoughts.

"Ace confirmed what Martin said... There are flyers out in every known territory about us. They say that we're murderers and the Haven wants us alive to face trial." She took his hand, looking at them as she continued. "Ace is fighting this... he doesn't want us to leave until he can get these accusations tossed out. He said that if we are seen by anyone out there, any poor soul needing - anything, they will do anything to get us."

She hated the idea of being considered a murderer, especially when it was in self-defense, but it was worse to have the entire known territories searching for you just for credits.

Matthew drank the water feeling alot better. He blinked a few times adjusting to the light and he looked down at Josie, glad she was by his side. When she told him that they were wanted in the pit territorys for killing the Haven leader he closed his eyes breifly. He was mad because that ment they had to stay inside and he couldn't get danny.

He qently squeezed josie's hand and then sat up slowly. " I..its okay once ace proves us innocent will leave and head out, i just want danny safe and the longer im in here the more depressed knowing danny's not safe and were so close to where he is. Matt looked away having mixed emotions.

Josie tried to help him sit up by using the hospital bed's lifting device, elevating his head up. When he spoke about staying, knowing that was not what he wanted, Josie sparked a new idea.

"Once you heal up...we'll leave, sneak out if we have to, but we're not going to let this delay us any further." She absentmindedly nodded her head, as if she was trying to talk herself into the plan she spoke of. "It was one thing to stay for training, but this... No..."

She looked up with determination in her eyes, and a heavy heart that was drained. "I'll continue my training while you recover. I'll try to collect weapons and equipment and stash them somewhere... When you're ready, we'll get our bike and leave - without Ace's consent. We'll find Danny, one way or another, alright?"

She leaned before him, sliding her lips over his, slow and heartfelt. Regardless of her control, a tear fell; she almost lost her shield today.

Matthew felt relived. He listed to what Josie said about leaving without Ace's consent and he knew she wanted to do anything to help get danny as much as he did. He saw the pain in her eyes and the sadness and he wanted to make it go away. " Dont worry im like the incredible hulk, bullets dont phase me". He gave a half smile wanting her to feel happy.

When her lips softly and slowly pressed against his he closed his eyes slowly and savored the kiss. He wated to hold her wasit and to do more things but his body was weak and he could barley lift up his right arm. When he saw the tear he kissed her cheek where it was. " Dont cry ill get better sooner than you know it.

"Don't worry, I'm like the incredible hulk, bullets don't phase me."
Josie giggled, trying her best to place a smile where it should be. "Yes, and with an anger to boot."

"Don't cry. I'll get better sooner than you know it."

"I know..." she started, wiping the rest other tears Matt didn't catch. "But now, I'm alone again..."

- alone and with the possibility of someone else breaking in to snatch her away, or worse.

When he saw her giggle he smiled feeling a whole lot better than before. He honestly didn't know how long they were going to keep him in here but he didn't want to be in here long. " Dont worry you wont be alone..look ill try to persuade the doctors to lt me stay back in the room so you wont be alone okay?".

Looking at the clock he looked back at Josie. " They should be on there way to give me my pain medicene, itll put me to sleep but ill ask them before they give it to me, now you have tranning so go and i promise when you finish ill be in our room upstairs ".

Matt's idea made Josie sparkle again. "That's is a great idea. I'll have to work on my bedside manners then," and that quirky smile returned...until Matt reminded her about training.

Josie sighed - what was worse than day training? Night training. "Ahh, I'll never get any rest! Did we just leave training hours ago?" With all the hoopla with Martin and Matt getting injured, she missed out on any rest before the night training session. "I should talk to Ace...they could, at least, postpone tonight's practice..."

Then she'd realized any more postponements would keep them there longer. She closed her eyes and shook her head. "No, I've got to do this." she mumbled to herself as she stood. "Alright, I'll see you after practice." She left him with a going away present on his lips and left.

Night training was harsh, full of necessary evils that Josie cared to avoid at all cost. But, it all seem to pass her by for her mind was on Matt and all of their troubles that just kept piling up to smoother what little happiness they were able to find in the god-forsaken territories. Again she returned to the penthouse, this time with far too much alertness for someone who's spent three hours working in the night.

There was a security guard at the door, and another sat with Ace in the living room discussing various things. She had no clue and no care. She passed them by without acknowledgement, not because she was being rude, but because she didn't hear anything beside the sound of her boots shuffling across the floor. She made it to their side of the penthouse, found her way to the bedroom and began to remove her uniform.

She stopped, frozen in the darkness with a fear that someone, yet again, was watching her. She wrapped her shirt back around her and rushed to the wall to flip the lights. To her relief, Matt was laying in the bed all snugged like a bug. Josie calmed herself and dimmed the lights down to avoid disturbing him further. She was safe.

Quickly taking a shower, Josie dressed and carefully slipped into bed on Matt's uninjured side, checking over him as she did. She saw the medications the doctor left on his bedside table, wondering how passed out he was. She wanted to tell him about her night...wanted to hear him chuckle at her jokes. But, what she really wanted was to let him rest. They both had a long road ahead of them.

((I'm probably going to skip to the end of the week for them, or the end of their training which would have been extended because Ace is now determined they know everything before they leave out. But, I think by mid of their new week, Matt will be fit enough to handle moving about. This is when they're going to attempt to leave.

Ace will be upset and send out a group to find them.))

Matthew slowly opened his eyes the next morning to see Josie sleeping at his side. His arm was still stiff but it was alot better. He slid out of bed and then walked into the bathroom and took a long and warm shower. His body always felt relaxed and calm when he soaked under the warm water. When he was done he looked in the mirror and shaved.

When he was done in the bathroom he looked around for his towel realizing he didn't have it on the bathroom. He didn't want to wake up joise catching him naked in persute of finding his towel althought he honestly really didn't mind.

Josie heard the shower going in the bathroom. An eye opened to find Matt's side of the bed empty, and two and two were put together. She sighed and flipped over to her back, stretching her arms and legs clear across the king size bed, wish to stay there rather than get dress for another grueling day.

She stood up and glided to the closet, finding a clean set of uniforms waiting for her, and a note attached to hers. "Meet me in the cafeteria for breakfast this morning before heading to class. Ace."

"Well, wonder what he's wanting." Josie turned around with her gear, tossing it and the note on the foot of the bed. She threw herself back on the bed, retaliating and procrastinating. She didn't want to go and leave Matt all alone in this big penthouse... anything could happen. Just then, the bathroom door opened and Matt walked out...

"Well, looks like you're up bright and early..." She leaned back against her elbows and crossed her legs, watching with mischievousness as Matt emerged fresh from his shower. "And here I was worrying about you, but - you look all healthy to me." She was smiling from ear to ear.

Matthew froze when he heard Josie's voice and then he turned to see her with a grin on her face. He looked away nervously and then found his towel on his bag. Once he dried off he put on a pair of boxers and then crawled back in bed and kissed Josie all over. " I missed this. He chuckled and then rolled on his back and sighed not wanting to go to Tranning.

Looking at his uniform he finally dragged himself out the bed and then he put on his uniform. When he got back to the bed he saw the net and then looked at Josie. " whats this?".

(Hey, I thought he would be sitting training out for a few days. Or, am I thinking like Ace, because Ace wouldn't want him up and about right now, especially for training. Come to think of it, neither would Josie. X(

Oh, I'm here for a while...)

Josie snickered as Matt searched for a towel and then his clothes. She covered her mouth to hide her giggles seeing how he was slightly red in the face. But, his embarrassment seem to pass when he crawled back into bed, ending Josie's laughter with his barrage of kisses.

"I missed this," he said with a grin as he soon rolled out of bed. Josie smiled, "You're not the only one...but...hey, what do you think you're doing?"
She stood up as he began to dress for training. "You're not thinking of..."

"What's this?" Matt absentmindedly cut her off, holding up the note.

"I'm not sure." Josie took the note and glanced at it again. "Ace wants to talk to me this morning. I have no clue why." She tossed the note back on the bed and gave Matt her best critical stair. "Now, answer my question. What in the world are you doing getting dressed?"

Matthew wanted to ignore Josie's question about getting dresssed but he knew that it wasn't going to be avoided. " I just.. i hate being stuck in the house feeling useless". He sighed and slowly took off his uniform feeling a slight pain. Leaving on his boxers he went and layed back on the bed and pulled josie close to him.

" Fine ill stay stuck in this room but dont overwork yourself okay?". Ill give you a nice massage when you get back". He smiled and then kissed her once more not wanting her to leave.

Spoiling her, Josie was pulled back into Matt's arms and filled with more of his kisses...drowning in her wanted urge to just stay, to forget everything and just stay there for the rest of her life. But no, she had to think of others now.

Reluctantly, she returned Matt's affections, "A massage...that would be so nice. But, I rather care for you when I return." Leaving him with that thought, she finished dressing, grabbed her gear and headed out the door blowing kisses.

Quickly, Josie reached the first floor. Asking the front desk attendant where the cafe was located, she made her way through the huge building wondering exactly what was hidden in this place. Apartments and penthouses, classrooms and training facilities, an Olympic-size indoor pool, track and shooting range; laboratories, medical emergency facilities, a cafeteria... what else has she not seen in this place? And that's not even mentioning the roof-top training area and helicopter pad, and the field training area located on the outskirts of Circle B. She's learned in the past that the ISH was a big thing, but now after living within their walls, she truly wondered what her dear friend Ace was managing around there.

"Ah, up and early; that's a good thing to see." Ace stood up to give her a hug before returning to his seat. "Did you guys sleep well last night?"

"Yea, him more than me," Josie sat down and took the glass of OJ that sat before her.

"The security at the door wasn't a problem for you, was it?"

"No, actually that set me at ease a bit, but not enough." she sat the glass down. "Alright, what's up?"

After that bit of chit chat, Ace's face turned serious. "Tell me what happened to you guys at the Haven."

Josie spilled out all the details, from their first encounter with the leaders, all the way to their escape with Harrison and Carol's assistance. When she was done, Ace was speechless. Too entranced with all the intell he was receiving about the inner workings of the mysterious Haven, and upset about what they went through.

"So, you're telling me that they...ah, God, Josie! Why didn't you say anything?"

"Well, it didn't occur to me that it was required to divulge in my recent catastrophes. I thought we were safe and everything forgotten since we dropped from the face of the earth. But, I guess that's what I get for thinking."

Ace stood up and began to pace...that repetitive shuffle he did from time to time was so irritating, she hardly could finish her breakfast. "Really, Ace?"

"I've got to think... what you've just told me opens up a whole new chapter to my findings. They're not as holy and self-righteous as they want everyone to believe. They're..hiding something, but what? And whatever it is, obviously you two are such a threat to this that they're shelling out a king's ransom for your heads."

"It sounds so horrible when you say it...", Josie stood up and grabbed her gear. "Look, you let us know what you come up with... I'm heading upstairs for class." Ace nodded his head and continued to pace, too deep in thought to give her a wave goodbye. Josie returned to the 15th floor and began her grueling hours of training.

Three days passed. She hadn't seen Ace after their little meeting days ago, and Matt was doing a whole lot better after a stress-free recovery. Josie, on the other hand, was frazzled. She's been training like a mad woman, trying to learn everything she could flawlessly, as much as she could, to speed up her training. She's used her down time to sneak around the training areas and classrooms, searching for items of use and weapons that her and Matt could take without being caught or noticed missing. She even found the keys to the helicopter, but couldn't recall what her father taught her on flying the thing.

She stashed the items in a large black duffle bag under their bed. Then, the rest of her nights were spent showing Matt all that she'd learned in her classes to keep his skills up until he was able to return to training. So, sleep has been nonexistent for her, but she pressed on with determination.

Her third night of training was her breaking point. Josie stormed into the penthouse, grimy and completely rattled. Her simulation that night seem to have been taken straight out of her past with a new perspective with their recent attack. After learning about their encounter at the Haven, Ace wanted to make sure Josie was strong enough to handle herself if another attempt on her was made. Again, finding herself in a bind she could not figure a way out of, Josie cracked under the pressure and Ace ended her simulation for the night, telling her to go get some rest.

Unaware, Ace had called Matt to inform him of the situation.

Throwing her gear around the living area, Josie grunted in anger. Her helmet shattered a wall mirror. Her heavy knee pads broke a vase. She threw her goggles and gloves everywhere. Annie was shocked to see her so angry, but quietly cleaned up the mess and called Ace, who told her to let her vent.

She didn't want to talk, so instead of going to the bedroom, Josie stepped outside onto the balcony adjacent to the dining and living room. Annie stepped to the bedroom and knocked on the door. "Josie's back. Ace was right, she's not doing good at all," she told Matt before closing the door.

Josie closed the sliding glass door and moved to the railing to peer over. The city was bright and active...alive and oblivious to the dangers surrounding it. Ignorant was another word for their bliss. Josie knew more than anyone down there just how bad their world has become. To have it thrown in her face again that night didn't help her overall confidence that was slowly returning...somewhat.

She stood there and let the cooling winds calm her. No tears fell this time, they were evaporated by her hatred for her life in general. There was only one good thing within it that helped push back all the bad. She needed to keep him in mind and build on.

Status
Not open for further replies.