Hunter x Hunter: The Truth is There

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recette managed to yank Kyoko back as she pulled her strange weapon out, a series of bangs ringing out as several bullets blitzed into the stone. Looking up, Recette kept going, reaching an area where there weren't any scars in the stone.

Letting out a sigh of relief, Recette admitted, "Well, that was a trap." Drawing out her own pistol, she was about to scan the rest of the area, but Kyoko's weapon caught her eye for a moment. Shaking her head and regaining her focus, she heard footsteps from below, letting out a brief cry as she whipped on her glasses, silenced herself, and took aim.

Recette managed to yank Kyoko back as she pulled her strange weapon out, a series of bangs ringing out as several bullets blitzed into the stone. Looking up, Recette kept going, reaching an area where there weren't any scars in the stone.

Letting out a sigh of relief, Recette admitted, "Well, that was a trap." Drawing out her own pistol, she was about to scan the rest of the area, but Kyoko's weapon caught her eye for a moment. Shaking her head and regaining her focus, she heard footsteps from below, letting out a brief cry as she whipped on her glasses, silenced herself, and took aim.
Suddenly, as Kyoko detects bullet fire, she slams the buttonlike side of her device, causing a sharpened cable to be launched with all the force that Kyoko just delivered to the device, launching the projectile at bullet like speed. The cable fires in a slight arc compared to typical bulletfire, slicing through a bandit that attempted to enter the cave. Then, pressing her index finger down on the trigger button, the cable starts retracting at speed. By manuvering the device like a whip, Kyoko slashes through the leg of another bandit on the way back. The entire process of firing and retracting takes under 2 seconds.

If the bandits had been starting a charge, in one swift move, it had fallen. With the two front runners being struck down violently in an instant, morale plummeted. There were cries of shock as they abandoned the fallen, those who'd spilled out turning back into the darkness.

Despite wearing her glasses, Recette completely and utterly failed to keep her composure, gawking, "Wh-what is that thing!?"

If the bandits had been starting a charge, in one swift move, it had fallen. With the two front runners being struck down violently in an instant, morale plummeted. There were cries of shock as they abandoned the fallen, those who'd spilled out turning back into the darkness.

Despite wearing her glasses, Recette completely and utterly failed to keep her composure, gawking, "Wh-what is that thing!?"
Kyoko smirked, holding her weapon proudly. "This is a special weapon my sister made for me to fit my fighting style. It is called the sharpwire shooter."

Trying to decide which of the questions that sprung to her mind to ask, Recette could mutter, "Huh."

It's goddamn terrifying, Recette concluded.

As the lower part remained quiet, Recette noted, "Well, I think we scared them off." Lowering her pistol she blinked, before grimacing as she realized, "They've done this before, so...what if they got the guy who got my briefcase?"

Trying to decide which of the questions that sprung to her mind to ask, Recette could mutter, "Huh."

It's goddamn terrifying, Recette concluded.

As the lower part remained quiet, Recette noted, "Well, I think we scared them off." Lowering her pistol she blinked, before grimacing as she realized, "They've done this before, so...what if they got the guy who got my briefcase?"
Kyoko smiles, seemingly very happy to have an excuse to go fight something. Even if it was just a bunch of halfwits who can barely even shoot a gun, she had been bored most of the trip. Getting a chance to fight with Recette would be much more exciting. Kyoko secretly hoped that there would be enough bandits to keep her entertained. She didn't particularly like the idea of a bandit force existing here, so it would be a much appreciated detour from finding the hunter exam. It would probably only take a little bit of time anyway.

"Let's go beat some bad guys!"

Recette nodded, getting pumped, standing straight to charge, but as she looked back down, her enthusiasm took a stumble.

Stepping back, she began, "We're kind of in a rough spot right now though. I mean, if we just go, they'll be able to see us but we'll be blind. We'd be sitting ducks."

Adjusting her glasses, she suggested, "If they had a backdoor we could slip into or some kind of light we'd be fine, but...there's no way I could charge in there, and there's no way I can ask you to do something I wouldn't."

Recette nodded, getting pumped, standing straight to charge, but as she looked back down, her enthusiasm took a stumble.

Stepping back, she began, "We're kind of in a rough spot right now though. I mean, if we just go, they'll be able to see us but we'll be blind. We'd be sitting ducks."

Adjusting her glasses, she suggested, "If they had a backdoor we could slip into or some kind of light we'd be fine, but...there's no way I could charge in there, and there's no way I can ask you to do something I wouldn't."
Kyoko nods, beginning to understand Recette's reliance on sight. Kyoko had yet to be in a fight of significant duration, so she hadn't encountered this particular limitation. Kyoko never worried about sight, as she is a primarily intuition based fighter, but for those who honed their senses to be able to hit the exact area they needed to hit the darkness would probably be a big deal. Plus, it wasn't like Kyoko didn't use her sight at all. For now it would probably be best to find a way to reverse their fortunes. And Kyoko knew exactly what that would entail. A certain someone who so kindly endangered their lives. Although Kyoko still keeps her cheerful demeanor and tone, her voice is backed by her murderous intent, "Mr. Obviously Lying. I think we might need to talk about something."

As Kyoko's words carried down the slope, Recette got chills. From below however, there was nothing at first, then some shuffling, followed by complaining, before a figure was shoved out.

Landing at the base of the slope with a wail of fright, the unshaven man from earlier curling into a ball, as if bracing for something. When nothing happened, he dared peek up, seeing the girls further up the slope. Hands clapped together, he sat up, pleading, "Wh-what was I supposed to do!? This is how we do things and with hunter applicants being fair game we couldn't not do this!"

As Kyoko's words carried down the slope, Recette got chills. From below however, there was nothing at first, then some shuffling, followed by complaining, before a figure was shoved out.

Landing at the base of the slope with a wail of fright, the unshaven man from earlier curling into a ball, as if bracing for something. When nothing happened, he dared peek up, seeing the girls further up the slope. Hands clapped together, he sat up, pleading, "Wh-what was I supposed to do!? This is how we do things and with hunter applicants being fair game we couldn't not do this!"
Kyoko doesn't let up, certain to ensure that her point is driven home, "Well, the obvious answer would be that you shouldn't get involved with thieves. The next mistake was picking only targets that might end up being hunters. Possibly your final mistake was delaying me from taking the hunter exam." Letting the murderous intent drop, Kyoko allows a moment of levity, "Now let's forget about your past choices, and think about your future ones. You are going to help us obliterate that bandit force!" Kyoko speaks of this as if it were a simple feat.

At Kyoko's declaration, the man stopped, rubbing his temple as his gears began to turn.

Not wanting to speak and interrupt Kyoko's flow, Recette simply wondered, Can't we just ask and see if anyone came by with a briefcase?

Finally, the man waved his hands downward as he said, "T-tell me what you have in mind, just keep it down, alright?"

At Kyoko's declaration, the man stopped, rubbing his temple as his gears began to turn.

Not wanting to speak and interrupt Kyoko's flow, Recette simply wondered, Can't we just ask and see if anyone came by with a briefcase?

Finally, the man waved his hands downward as he said, "T-tell me what you have in mind, just keep it down, alright?"
Kyoko however did not have any particular plan in mind, and simply looked blankly at the man. "I didn't have anything particular in mind. Unless someone is a lot stronger than those mooks who shot at us before, this should be pretty straightforward. I just don't want Recette to get hurt, so we can't get out the obvious way."

Kyoko realizing that she made too much of her plan around the fact that she would just go charging in and let the skill differential win the day, defers to Recette, "Do you have a better plan Recette?"

Recette couldn't help but smile as Kyoko shared her concerns over her, admitting in kind, "I'd rather neither of us get hurt, Kyoko!"

Mr. Lying looked aside, realizing that he was not included in that 'us'. While Recette tried to think about plans, Mr. Lying offered, "Well, your best bet might be for, uh, the pink one...Receipt, to us me as a human shield. Koko'd probably be fine with that...demon spawned gun..."

Recette frowned, "You got our names wrong on purpose, didn't you." While Mr. Lying whistled innocently, Recette complied, reaching one hand to grab him by the collar, her other jabbing her pistol against his temple, finger safely away from the trigger.

Glasses glinting in what little light they had, Recette nodded, ready to move out.

Recette couldn't help but smile as Kyoko shared her concerns over her, admitting in kind, "I'd rather neither of us get hurt, Kyoko!"

Mr. Lying looked aside, realizing that he was not included in that 'us'. While Recette tried to think about plans, Mr. Lying offered, "Well, your best bet might be for, uh, the pink one...Receipt, to us me as a human shield. Koko'd probably be fine with that...demon spawned gun..."

Recette frowned, "You got our names wrong on purpose, didn't you." While Mr. Lying whistled innocently, Recette complied, reaching one hand to grab him by the collar, her other jabbing her pistol against his temple, finger safely away from the trigger.

Glasses glinting in what little light they had, Recette nodded, ready to move out.
Kyoko clasps her hands, seemingly ecstatic. "Dawwwwww, Mr. Obviously Lying already fears crossing us more than being used as a human shield. If he didn't have such a nasty personality he'd be perfect." Kyoko bounces on her feet to reflect her impatience. "Anyway, whatever we do, lets do it soon. I don't want to be waiting here too long. We have an important date to meet." Kyoko merely waits for Recette to make her move, ready to unleash her power.

Mr. Lying admitted to Kyoko, "Well, you'd do a better job at killing me then they could..."

Flipping him around and planting herself behind him, Recette nodded to Kyoko, "All you need to do is distract them until my eyes adjust, then I can help. Unless you find a light source in there!"

Mr. Lying said, "Oh! There's some lanterns if you can get to the valve on the right."

Mr. Lying admitted to Kyoko, "Well, you'd do a better job at killing me then they could..."

Flipping him around and planting herself behind him, Recette nodded to Kyoko, "All you need to do is distract them until my eyes adjust, then I can help. Unless you find a light source in there!"

Mr. Lying said, "Oh! There's some lanterns if you can get to the valve on the right."
Bursting into action, Kyoko begins to run down the slope at great speed. While it seems as though she is merely rushing recklessly, Kyoko is waiting for just the perfect distance to lure out their gun fire and reveal their location. As soon as the bandits open fire, they seal their fate. By firing at the exact moment Kyoko came into their sights, not only did they reveal their current location, but also revealed what bullet trajectories were possible from their current location. Evading backwards up the slope, Kyoko move to just outside the previous range. While a brave man might move forward to land a shot, Kyoko knew for certain that these men were cowardly, the type who likes to hold onto whatever they perceive to be an advantage. This would be their undoing. Kyoko fires her sharpwire. Unlike bullets which are limited to extremely straight trajectories, the sharpwire does not have to be fired at full speed and can be adjusted in a whiplike fashion, allowing it a larger assortment of trajectories. By pulling down at the base of the weapon, Kyoko makes the trajectory a rising arc. Once it slices through her intended target, she then waves the base side to side, which causes the wire to thrash about wildly through the dark room. Slaughter ensues.

Screams echoed from the cavern as Kyoko's gun did its work. While there were only a few men in the area Kyoko was aiming, the cries of pain and noises the gun made caused morale to waver.

Taking the opportunity, Recette slowly went in, Mr. Lying in front of her, giving Kyoko's sharpwire as wide a berth as they could. Slipping around the corner and inside the cave, they were fine for now, outside the silhouette in the distraction, Recette letting her eyes start to adjust.

As they had a moment, she whispered, "Mister, have you gotten anyone today with a briefcase?"

Mr. Lying thought for a moment, before recalling, "If we got any luggage or loot, it's in the back right." Recette let out a sigh, as it was rather far from her position as she could make out, but at least she knew where to head next, but the bandits were starting to reorganize...

Screams echoed from the cavern as Kyoko's gun did its work. While there were only a few men in the area Kyoko was aiming, the cries of pain and noises the gun made caused morale to waver.

Taking the opportunity, Recette slowly went in, Mr. Lying in front of her, giving Kyoko's sharpwire as wide a berth as they could. Slipping around the corner and inside the cave, they were fine for now, outside the silhouette in the distraction, Recette letting her eyes start to adjust.

As they had a moment, she whispered, "Mister, have you gotten anyone today with a briefcase?"

Mr. Lying thought for a moment, before recalling, "If we got any luggage or loot, it's in the back right." Recette let out a sigh, as it was rather far from her position as she could make out, but at least she knew where to head next, but the bandits were starting to reorganize...
Noting that Recette wanted to try to recover her briefcase, Kyoko began to adjust her strategy. She enters a state of extremely critical thought.

Her first few attacks with the sharpwire were effective primarily because of the surprise factor and fear factor of her weapon. Generally speaking, to someone woefully outclassed by her power, they would be gripped by crippling fear. The fact that these low level fighters were continuing the fight meant that they had giant egos, they assumed that she wouldn't allow them to live if they surrendered, they could not afford to surrender, or someone powerful has instilled fear into them. The last option was unlikely due to the fact Mr. Obviously Lying had already defected, but was nonetheless something that filled Kyoko with excitement. She hadn't had a capable playmate since her 7th birthday. The only reason Kyoko had even respected the bandit's attack range was to create a wall of safety for her allies. However, Recette was taking the Hunter exam as well, so Kyoko would need to learn more about exactly what she was capable of.

Having taken three seconds of critical thought, Kyoko knew what she must do. Committing to a sprint, Kyoko dashes gleefully. It is now obvious that Kyoko gets some sort of a thrill from combat. While her cutesy demeanor is endearing at first, for it to be maintained like this gives it an eerie feeling like it is the musings of a complete lunatic. She was done playing with her food. Kyoko unleashes the crippling power of her killing intent, allowing the feeling of being hunted down to flood the caverns. Her soft voice echoes across the halls, "Hope you like darkness."

As Kyoko's fear aura rumbled through the cavern, the guns that should have been firing hesitated, their wielders gripped by fear.

Shuddering, Recette herself had been given pause. Swallowing her fears, she mentally repeated to herself, Kyoko won't hurt me, Kyoko won't hurt me, Kyoko won't hurt me...

Noticing that Mr. Lying had started sweating, Recette, needing to move, nudged him along, and the pair finally began to charge. Having little trouble now that their eyes were adjusted, they streaked through the dim, silent caverns. Reaching the corner, Recette lit up as she saw a familiar briefcase among the smattering of objects. Snapping it up, she let out a slight giggle of satisfaction. And she wasn't the only one either: Mr. Lying was also taking the opportunity to grab a few things, shoving them under his cloak.

But there was a miscalculation.

Gripped by fear, not even the bandit nearest to their loot pile, the leader of the band, despite their broken ranks and shattered wills. To be routed so by such a small girl.

But seeing them rifle through their bounty like a child through a pile of their favorite toys. Rational fear bowed to illogical anger, and a rifle was raised. Teeth gritting, he snarled as he unleashed a hail of bullets.

Not having time to react to the noise, Recette only just looked up before being showered with a rain of red. As warm fluid stained her clothes, she felt weight as Mr. Lying fell, pushing into her. And with those shots, hell broke loose, the remaining bandits choosing their target, and firing.

Recette didn't even really register it as she held Mr. Lying's body in front of her, one hand holding her briefcase along with the body, the other raising her pistol, focusing on the flashes of light. Two shots fired out, one taking a hand, the other severing a finger, two rifles clattering to the ground. Her face was twisted into a mixture of fear, anxiety, and focus, one lens on her glasses partially stained red.

As Kyoko's fear aura rumbled through the cavern, the guns that should have been firing hesitated, their wielders gripped by fear.

Shuddering, Recette herself had been given pause. Swallowing her fears, she mentally repeated to herself, Kyoko won't hurt me, Kyoko won't hurt me, Kyoko won't hurt me...

Noticing that Mr. Lying had started sweating, Recette, needing to move, nudged him along, and the pair finally began to charge. Having little trouble now that their eyes were adjusted, they streaked through the dim, silent caverns. Reaching the corner, Recette lit up as she saw a familiar briefcase among the smattering of objects. Snapping it up, she let out a slight giggle of satisfaction. And she wasn't the only one either: Mr. Lying was also taking the opportunity to grab a few things, shoving them under his cloak.

But there was a miscalculation.

Gripped by fear, not even the bandit nearest to their loot pile, the leader of the band, despite their broken ranks and shattered wills. To be routed so by such a small girl.

But seeing them rifle through their bounty like a child through a pile of their favorite toys. Rational fear bowed to illogical anger, and a rifle was raised. Teeth gritting, he snarled as he unleashed a hail of bullets.

Not having time to react to the noise, Recette only just looked up before being showered with a rain of red. As warm fluid stained her clothes, she felt weight as Mr. Lying fell, pushing into her. And with those shots, hell broke loose, the remaining bandits choosing their target, and firing.

Recette didn't even really register it as she held Mr. Lying's body in front of her, one hand holding her briefcase along with the body, the other raising her pistol, focusing on the flashes of light. Two shots fired out, one taking a hand, the other severing a finger, two rifles clattering to the ground. Her face was twisted into a mixture of fear, anxiety, and focus, one lens on her glasses partially stained red.
Purposely unaware of Recette's situation, Kyoko began her barrage on the bandit force. Although she had expected them to act in terror of her like she was some sort of monster, she ended up eliciting an even more exploitable reaction out of them, blind anger. Unlike fear which maximizes self preservation above all else, blind anger destroys reason and promotes reckless aggression. With the lack of skill and coordination, Kyoko would be able to rout the entire force. Kyoko restores her cover, not wanting to get hit by a stray bullet. Although she was strong and fast, dodging automatic fire from a force this large wasn't a reasonable feat to try to undergo. She could simply wait out their ammunition, but Kyoko already got fired up from before. She wanted to fight, to kill everyone.

And so, Kyoko began to blind fire her sharpwire from behind cover, guiding her shot only by trajectories of bullets that badly missed their mark. Not an exciting way to fight, but Kyoko's sharpwire is a gruesome enough death on its own due to the fact that it has a bad habit of slicing and dicing its victims when used as a whip. Showing its capacity to hit targets completely out of Kyoko's line of fire illustrates just what dire straits the bandits are in. With the way things are going, they won't be able to keep Kyoko pinned, and charging her is a certain death. Though, with their numbers dwendling, Kyoko had no reason to respect their firepower. Her fear aura had subsided as well. For some reason, Kyoko was pulling her punches.

Status
Not open for further replies.