Hunter x Hunter: The Truth is There

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaching the end of the hall, Recette looked between the two signs and the book. Of course, of the two choices 'spa time' was Recette's obvious first pick. Leaning over the book, she prepared to read it aloud for Kyoko.

Clearing her throat, she began, "Let's see...Welcome prospective Hunters, if you are reading this, it means that you have been flagged as an advanced newcomer applicant. Oh, that's nice! This means you will be subject to more rigorous testing before you reach the exam site. ...Never mind." Becoming downcast, she continued, "The challenge before you will have difficulty similar to a phase 1 of the exam!? Er, but you will be guaranteed to find the only navigator who can take you directly and immediately to the exam site. Okay... In exchange however, leaving this cavern will result in your application's voidance for the year!? Seriously!? If you have what it takes to be worthy of the hunter exam, traverse the doors before you to reach me. After each challenge you will be presented with a 5 minute strenuous challenge and a 30 minute relaxing challenge. Beware, if you fail to do the strenuous challenges perfectly, you will accumulate penalties. These penalties will be resolved by the machines located through the structure. Uh... And one last helpful tip, the number of rooms between you and my room is exactly one third the password, so use your time wisely."

Lips pursed as she tried to calculate...it was about evening so six 'o clock, give or take a few minutes. The password was 369, which meant...one hundred and twenty three rooms. Five minutes in each... Recette's eye twitched: that was ten hours and fifteen minutes of straight physical effort! They'd only have five or six hours when they were finished to get to the exam site, excluding the time spent between rooms and taking penalties. How many half hour breaks could they afford? Recette would need a few, wouldn't she? A bite of food hadn't entered her stomach since around noon, for starters, and she was usually tucked into bed by ten PM.

Stepping out to the two signs, her fists ground on the sides of her head as she tried to think. Even if she failed, Kyoko wasn't just going to leave Recette in the wilderness, but...if she failed, she didn't want to hold Kyoko back. Stopping, standing still, she took a breath.

"Kyoko, this challenge was practically made for you. You could probably sleepwalk through it, but I'm not so sure about myself. So here's the deal: I'm going to give myself three strikes! If I take the 'relaxing challenge' for a third time, well...I give up for this year then, I guess. I mean, if I can't get through this, then there's no way I'll be able to beat the actual Exam, but just because I can't doesn't mean I should hold back. There's nothing that says we can't go separate ways."

Leaving her briefcase behind the podium the book sat on, undoing her weapon hostler, dangling it and her pistol from her hand, beginning to stretch as she finished, "But I'm still going to give it a shot!" Stepping forwards, she began to head off towards the right, before shuffling back towards the left, as if that was where she intended to go the whole time.

Reaching the end of the hall, Recette looked between the two signs and the book. Of course, of the two choices 'spa time' was Recette's obvious first pick. Leaning over the book, she prepared to read it aloud for Kyoko.

Clearing her throat, she began, "Let's see...Welcome prospective Hunters, if you are reading this, it means that you have been flagged as an advanced newcomer applicant. Oh, that's nice! This means you will be subject to more rigorous testing before you reach the exam site. ...Never mind." Becoming downcast, she continued, "The challenge before you will have difficulty similar to a phase 1 of the exam!? Er, but you will be guaranteed to find the only navigator who can take you directly and immediately to the exam site. Okay... In exchange however, leaving this cavern will result in your application's voidance for the year!? Seriously!? If you have what it takes to be worthy of the hunter exam, traverse the doors before you to reach me. After each challenge you will be presented with a 5 minute strenuous challenge and a 30 minute relaxing challenge. Beware, if you fail to do the strenuous challenges perfectly, you will accumulate penalties. These penalties will be resolved by the machines located through the structure. Uh... And one last helpful tip, the number of rooms between you and my room is exactly one third the password, so use your time wisely."

Lips pursed as she tried to calculate...it was about evening so six 'o clock, give or take a few minutes. The password was 369, which meant...one hundred and twenty three rooms. Five minutes in each... Recette's eye twitched: that was ten hours and fifteen minutes of straight physical effort! They'd only have five or six hours when they were finished to get to the exam site, excluding the time spent between rooms and taking penalties. How many half hour breaks could they afford? Recette would need a few, wouldn't she? A bite of food hadn't entered her stomach since around noon, for starters, and she was usually tucked into bed by ten PM.

Stepping out to the two signs, her fists ground on the sides of her head as she tried to think. Even if she failed, Kyoko wasn't just going to leave Recette in the wilderness, but...if she failed, she didn't want to hold Kyoko back. Stopping, standing still, she took a breath.

"Kyoko, this challenge was practically made for you. You could probably sleepwalk through it, but I'm not so sure about myself. So here's the deal: I'm going to give myself three strikes! If I take the 'relaxing challenge' for a third time, well...I give up for this year then, I guess. I mean, if I can't get through this, then there's no way I'll be able to beat the actual Exam, but just because I can't doesn't mean I should hold back. There's nothing that says we can't go separate ways."

Leaving her briefcase behind the podium the book sat on, undoing her weapon hostler, dangling it and her pistol from her hand, beginning to stretch as she finished, "But I'm still going to give it a shot!" Stepping forwards, she began to head off towards the right, before shuffling back towards the left, as if that was where she intended to go the whole time.
Kyoko looks up to Recette, now genuinely confused. She was so sure that Recette was upset with her before, but now she was acting like none of that had ever happened. It was as if coming to a challenge made Recette forget all about the insult she had unintentionally made earlier. Kyoko allowed Recette to continue, not really knowing what to say, but feeling guilty the entire way. Kyoko thought to herself, maybe she was actually a burden on Recette. This proposition Recette was making was clearly because she felt like she had something to prove. Truthfully, Kyoko didn't ever want to consider leaving Recette behind. Even if she wasn't capable of beating the test, Kyoko wanted to find a way to beat it so that Recette could pass too. The idea of her giving up under any circumstance was simply unthinkable.

Kyoko couldn't help but express her confusion verbally, "Recette, I thought you were mad at me, so why are you suddenly praising me? And what do you mean you'll quit if you take too many breaks? I thought you had something really important to do. You are trying to save your family, so why would you ever give up? And why aren't you mad at me? Since you've been following me, you've had to do the hard version of everything. You probably would have made it to the Hunter Exam site by now... And now I've actually messed it up to where I might get you failed because even when I don't mean to, I keep forgetting to include you, and end up doing everything myself. Plus, I even made you mad, because I keep demeaning you, even when I'm not trying. So, why... I don't understand how to handle having a friend. I don't know how to make it up to you."

Recette stared wide-eyed as Kyoko finished her rant. "Er...wait...eh?"

Recette seemed to have forgotten that while physically, she was as adept as Recette was not, socially, it was probably the other way around. Or maybe it was Recette's fault? She ran her fingers in circles on the sides of her head, as if trying to push relevant thoughts to the front of her mind.

"Er, how to say this...well, I wasn't really, like, mad mad earlier. Well, I mean if you say I was mad at you, you're not wrong, but it's like...you know, someone can be peeved or frustrated or they can be livid or unforgiving. I wasn't that mad though! I just didn't...still don't understand how you got us in here, or knew about the navigator. But forget about that! We're already stuck here, and I have no reason to blame that on you."

"And...what else?" Recette tilted her head, perhaps shaking her thoughts into order, before adding, "Oh, my family! Well, I thought that being a Hunter would be a huge boost to my ability to get things done since there's a lot of benefits, but even if I can't, I can just do things the old fashion way. Both ways are pretty tough, but...it's not like my family is in any trouble if I don't win...it's getting back home that's the tough part."

Skipping over to Kyoko, Recette grabbed her by the shoulders, steering her along towards the push-up door as she finished, "And there's no way I'd be at the Exam site already! I probably would have made it to the bus just fine, but if I fell into the bandit's trap...okay, no, that guy was...er, I'd still be on my way but I'd still be looking for a navigator!" As they got to the door, Recette finished, "And...I don't want to give up. It's just...after toughing it out with being poor for long periods of time and dealing with debt collectors, I got used to 'planning for failure'. It's pessimistic, but...sometimes the worst case scenario happens, so it's smarter to say, put money in a savings account now when things are good to help get by when those bad times come."

Recette stared wide-eyed as Kyoko finished her rant. "Er...wait...eh?"

Recette seemed to have forgotten that while physically, she was as adept as Recette was not, socially, it was probably the other way around. Or maybe it was Recette's fault? She ran her fingers in circles on the sides of her head, as if trying to push relevant thoughts to the front of her mind.

"Er, how to say this...well, I wasn't really, like, mad mad earlier. Well, I mean if you say I was mad at you, you're not wrong, but it's like...you know, someone can be peeved or frustrated or they can be livid or unforgiving. I wasn't that mad though! I just didn't...still don't understand how you got us in here, or knew about the navigator. But forget about that! We're already stuck here, and I have no reason to blame that on you."

"And...what else?" Recette tilted her head, perhaps shaking her thoughts into order, before adding, "Oh, my family! Well, I thought that being a Hunter would be a huge boost to my ability to get things done since there's a lot of benefits, but even if I can't, I can just do things the old fashion way. Both ways are pretty tough, but...it's not like my family is in any trouble if I don't win...it's getting back home that's the tough part."

Skipping over to Kyoko, Recette grabbed her by the shoulders, steering her along towards the push-up door as she finished, "And there's no way I'd be at the Exam site already! I probably would have made it to the bus just fine, but if I fell into the bandit's trap...okay, no, that guy was...er, I'd still be on my way but I'd still be looking for a navigator!" As they got to the door, Recette finished, "And...I don't want to give up. It's just...after toughing it out with being poor for long periods of time and dealing with debt collectors, I got used to 'planning for failure'. It's pessimistic, but...sometimes the worst case scenario happens, so it's smarter to say, put money in a savings account now when things are good to help get by when those bad times come."
Kyoko blushed as Recette began to steer her in the correct direction. Kyoko didn't realize exactly how wrong she had gotten everything until Recette explained it to her like that. She almost felt ashamed, but it wasn't quite that. Kyoko knew very well that in the end, the only thing even close to a social relationship she experienced was the characters she saw in anime, and they weren't real. There really just isn't anything Kyoko could do to avoid these kinds of misunderstandings, as she can't suddenly make it as though she didn't spend her entire life fighting and living without inhibition. So ultimately, she just allowed herself to feel the effects of her vulnerability, depending on Recette. As she is being pulled into the perfect push-up room, Kyoko speaks in a cheerful tone, "I'm sorry that I misunderstood so badly. I'm really bad when it comes to social things. I know we just met and everything, but if you could watch out for me, I'd trust you for that. You are probably really good at dealing with people, since you've looked out for them, and dealt with debt collectors your whole life."

Recette smiled, letting go of Kyoko as they reached their destination. I'll try to do a better job at looking out for you. But for the record, you've been doing a pretty good job at looking at for me when it comes to the physical stuff!"

Looking around the room, she admitted, "But it's not like you can do everything for me." Letting out a sigh, she dropped her pistol and holster, trying to get in a little bit more stretching before getting ready for push-ups. Recette admitted, "I'm kinda worried about those penalties though, but...it can't be helped so let's get going!"

Recette smiled, letting go of Kyoko as they reached their destination. I'll try to do a better job at looking out for you. But for the record, you've been doing a pretty good job at looking at for me when it comes to the physical stuff!"

Looking around the room, she admitted, "But it's not like you can do everything for me." Letting out a sigh, she dropped her pistol and holster, trying to get in a little bit more stretching before getting ready for push-ups. Recette admitted, "I'm kinda worried about those penalties though, but...it can't be helped so let's get going!"
Entering the room, a voice comes from a speaker located on the top of the room. "For this exercise you will do a perfect push-up on count. If you fail to begin when the count starts, or fail to end when the count ends, one level of penalty will be applied at the end of the exercise. Please take your positions."

After Kyoko and Recette get into push-up position, the speaker begins the count. The pace is not extraordinary, instead seeming more like a pace that would be expected at a typical gym. Though, knowing that such exercises would be continuing on for a long time without food or sleep make conserving energy the key to success. After all, who knows what could happen with these mysterious penalties?

Near the end of the 5 minutes, both Kyoko and Recette had yet to be challenged due to them both being fresh; however, on the very last push-up, Kyoko purposefully did not perform the last push-up for some reason.

The speaker calls out the results, "Exercise one is now complete. Total penalties incurred, Recette level 0, Kyoko level 1. Kyoko, please come to the table to resolve your penalties. The door will not open until all penalties have been resolved." As the speaker says this, a small rectangular table rises from the center of the room. A strange oozelike substance seems to be lifting it up.

Recette let out a sigh of relief as the countdown finished, letting herself sink to the floor, taking a moment to relax. However, her moment was stripped from her as Kyoko was charged with a penalty.

"What!?" Recette balked. Sitting up, she got wind of what was happening rather quickly. "Oh, you got curious." Grimacing, she shuffled away, stretching her arms as she rested by the exit door. As the ooze began to form, she cringed, warning, "Be careful, Kyoko..."

Recette let out a sigh of relief as the countdown finished, letting herself sink to the floor, taking a moment to relax. However, her moment was stripped from her as Kyoko was charged with a penalty.

"What!?" Recette balked. Sitting up, she got wind of what was happening rather quickly. "Oh, you got curious." Grimacing, she shuffled away, stretching her arms as she rested by the exit door. As the ooze began to form, she cringed, warning, "Be careful, Kyoko..."
Kyoko grinned, "I thought it would probably be a good idea to know exactly what happens when we get a penalty. It will be a lot easier to try to take it now than when we are tired, and it will be less stressful if we take away the mystery of it. Besides, the penalty probably isn't all that scary at its lowest level."

Kyoko walks up to the table, bounding onto it with a twirling jump that ends with her legs dangling off the table. She kicks her legs playful, showing no signs of fear or anticipation for the punishment to come. Almost immediately after she does so, the oozelike substance shoots outward from the bottom of the table forming a tentacle-like appendage. The appendage whips Kyoko across the wrist, though it didn't seem like it did so quickly enough to hurt someone like Kyoko. However, even though Kyoko didn't appear harmed in any way, the strike did elicit a reaction from Kyoko. As the tentacle struck, she pulled her arm back protectively, holding it tightly against her chest. Her legs stopped kicking about playfully. It took Kyoko a good four seconds to recognize that it was over, and even then she found herself staring at her completely unharmed arm. Worriedly, "What just happened?"

Though, she did not have long to think about this due to the table beginning to sink and the door to the next room beginning to open. Letting her legs settle on the ground beneath her, Kyoko walked towards the door.

As the door flashed open, Recette still focused on Kyoko as she began to move. Heading after her, she craned her head to look at her struck hand, noting, "Huh, that wasn't that bad...but if you rack them up that could be...mildly uncomfortable for a moment?" A smile coming to her face, she giggled, "We might have to worry too much after all!"

As they moved on to the next room, which once again had two doors, she insisted, "That doesn't mean I'm going to slack off though, so don't worry."

As the door flashed open, Recette still focused on Kyoko as she began to move. Heading after her, she craned her head to look at her struck hand, noting, "Huh, that wasn't that bad...but if you rack them up that could be...mildly uncomfortable for a moment?" A smile coming to her face, she giggled, "We might have to worry too much after all!"

As they moved on to the next room, which once again had two doors, she insisted, "That doesn't mean I'm going to slack off though, so don't worry."
Although Kyoko was completely unnerved and never wanted to suffer that kind of punishment again, she found herself reluctant to share this information with Recette. Kyoko was at a crossroads because she did not know how Recette would react to this kind of information. If telling her that the punishment is horrible becomes a motivator for Recette, then it will be worthwhile; however, if she were the type of person who would worry, the anxiety of failing might ruin her in the long term.

Kyoko ultimately decided to withhold this information. She did so because she felt she didn't know Recette well enough to understand how she would react, and while she could correct remaining silent at first, she could not take away the anxiety if she told. Kyoko silently hopes that she made the correct decision.

While the relaxation option forever remains the spa, the strenuous option changes each time. Some of them even come to show that strenuous won't always mean physical as it means mentally and/or physically taxing.

1. Jumping Jack Challenge
  2. Wall Tennis Challenge
  3. Sit Up Challenge
  4. Yoga Challenge
  5. Balance Beam Challenge
  6. Ding-Dong Ditch Challenge
  7. Pinata Challenge
  8. Weightlifting Challenge
  9. Thumb Wrestling Challenge
  10. Freestyle Swimming Challenge
  11. Skydiving (in a windtunnel) Challenge
  12. Rock Climbing (on a rock wall treadmill device) Challenge
  13. Pole Vaulting Challenge
  14. Balancing on One Foot Challenge
  15. Running Challenge
  16. Poker Challenge
  17. Hitchhiking Challenge
  18. Catch a Fly with Chopsticks Challenge
  19. Spinning Around Without Getting Dizzy Challenge
  20. Daycare Challenge
  21. Technical Support Challenge
  22. Pull-up Bar Challenge
  23. Insane Game Show Challenge
  24. Dance Dance Revolution Challenge
  25. Rap Battle Challenge

Over three hours since Kyoko incurred her first, and thus far, only penalty.

And only slightly less than three hours after Recette earned hers, the ooze lashing some of her enthusiasm away without as much of a welt of damage.

Recette surprised herself in her lead, but when it came time to lift weights, Recette's arms couldn't take the burn. On the other hand, some challenges like Skydiving, Poker, and Technical Support were a breeze once she donned her glasses, if that was even necessary. But somewhere after that it began to fall apart.

Pull-ups? Even after all that rest she couldn't quite seem to stay on the bar for long, not that the Fly Catcher earlier was any easier. The Game Show...Recette couldn't explain her fear of alligators but it didn't help any when using her gun was bound to earn her more penalties. And the Rap Battle...once she tried to rhyme with 'orange', not even her 'business mode' could save her.

13. She'd incurred thirteen thus far, 4 in the last two minutes of the last room alone.

Shoulders slumping, Recette's feet felt a bit heavy as she trudged to look at the two doors, and it certainly hadn't been the Dancing game.

Looking between the two doors, her eyes blurred as she tried to read the next one, but she saw 'Spa' oh so clearly. Recette stretched out a hand longingly, just imagining it: the steam, the warmth, the clean, slippery feeling on her skin. The soap: dear god the sweet smelling soap! ...Recette was drooling with anticipation. That wasn't healthy.

Letting out a groan, Recette raised her hands, slapping her cheeks repeatedly. It didn't help: the sign to the strenuous challenge room didn't look any more appealing. Or legible. Was wearing unnecessary glasses affecting her? Shaking her head, she did it a bit to hard, losing her footing.

Gaining some control, she stumbled towards Kyoko, stopping herself by grabbing onto her shoulders. Looking into her eyes, Recette begged, "H-hit me or something! Or just drag me into the challenge room! I'll take a break, but if I take one after 41 when we get a nasty sounding challenge and my second and last one sometime after 82, then that's only an extra hour spent! But we're not there yet, this is only 27! ...Or was it 26?" Not feeling so good, she bowed her head, letting out a low whine.

Over three hours since Kyoko incurred her first, and thus far, only penalty.

And only slightly less than three hours after Recette earned hers, the ooze lashing some of her enthusiasm away without as much of a welt of damage.

Recette surprised herself in her lead, but when it came time to lift weights, Recette's arms couldn't take the burn. On the other hand, some challenges like Skydiving, Poker, and Technical Support were a breeze once she donned her glasses, if that was even necessary. But somewhere after that it began to fall apart.

Pull-ups? Even after all that rest she couldn't quite seem to stay on the bar for long, not that the Fly Catcher earlier was any easier. The Game Show...Recette couldn't explain her fear of alligators but it didn't help any when using her gun was bound to earn her more penalties. And the Rap Battle...once she tried to rhyme with 'orange', not even her 'business mode' could save her.

13. She'd incurred thirteen thus far, 4 in the last two minutes of the last room alone.

Shoulders slumping, Recette's feet felt a bit heavy as she trudged to look at the two doors, and it certainly hadn't been the Dancing game.

Looking between the two doors, her eyes blurred as she tried to read the next one, but she saw 'Spa' oh so clearly. Recette stretched out a hand longingly, just imagining it: the steam, the warmth, the clean, slippery feeling on her skin. The soap: dear god the sweet smelling soap! ...Recette was drooling with anticipation. That wasn't healthy.

Letting out a groan, Recette raised her hands, slapping her cheeks repeatedly. It didn't help: the sign to the strenuous challenge room didn't look any more appealing. Or legible. Was wearing unnecessary glasses affecting her? Shaking her head, she did it a bit to hard, losing her footing.

Gaining some control, she stumbled towards Kyoko, stopping herself by grabbing onto her shoulders. Looking into her eyes, Recette begged, "H-hit me or something! Or just drag me into the challenge room! I'll take a break, but if I take one after 41 when we get a nasty sounding challenge and my second and last one sometime after 82, then that's only an extra hour spent! But we're not there yet, this is only 27! ...Or was it 26?" Not feeling so good, she bowed her head, letting out a low whine.
Kyoko watches Recette struggle through the challenges. Although she has been holding up fairly well thusfar, she has already taken quite a bit of penalties, and it has become apparent in her communication. Recette thusfar has been the type of person who could handle anything without whining, but already you could see the work of those fiendish devil tentacles. Fortunately, Recette had her mistakes isolated, only getting a handful of minor penalties here and there. From what Kyoko could tell, the effect of those tentacles would only get worse over time, especially if they were to strike for something other than the wrist.

Even if she was starting to lose her resolve however, it wasn't like it was particularly bad just yet. She just needed a little push to keep going. She saw something like this in an anime, and wanted to see if it would work in real life. "I'm not going to hit you or drag you, but I'm going to believe in you and support you. Lets go, ok?" Kyoko holds onto Recette's hand and takes her into the next room. The door is labeled, "Critical Choice Challenge."

Recette teetered on her feet in contemplation, as if about to stagger off to the spa room, but while her legs seemed indecisive, the grip of her hand remained firm. But at the words, 'Critical Choice Challenge', she did let out a low moan. It was hard to believe Recette was still wearing her glasses: they'd never failed her before...almost never...

As they went into the room, Recette pulled a hand over her eyes, blocking her vision as she muttered, "How bad is it?"

Recette teetered on her feet in contemplation, as if about to stagger off to the spa room, but while her legs seemed indecisive, the grip of her hand remained firm. But at the words, 'Critical Choice Challenge', she did let out a low moan. It was hard to believe Recette was still wearing her glasses: they'd never failed her before...almost never...

As they went into the room, Recette pulled a hand over her eyes, blocking her vision as she muttered, "How bad is it?"
Kyoko responded quickly, "Terrifying." Before Kyoko and Recette sat 3 pills laid carefully on a table, each a different color: red, blue, and green. Over the intercom, the voice guided them. "Sometimes, hunters must make decisions without having complete or any information. Regardless, they must live with the consequences of their mistakes. Within five minutes, each of you must choose one of these pills and consume it. One is merely a sugar tablet, but the other two will cause great difficulty for the one who swallows it. Worry not however, the effects will wear off in an hour. Your challenge has already begun."

Looking between the three options as the voice stopped, Recette shuddered, "It's worse than I thought...drugs."

For a moment, Recette bit her thumbnail in thought, trying to figure things out, her brain starting to clear as she focused on the task at hand rather than the overarching mission.

After a minute or so passed, she finally had some thoughts, beginning, "Okay, so...trying to cheat and not take a pill will probably give us a severe penalty, so...I guess we each just take one? You have a favorite color? Or, er, least favorite?"

Crossing her arms, she reasoned, "If only one of us gets...affected, we might have to take a break earlier than I'd hoped." Shaking her head, she insisted, "Er, I'm not saying that because I really want a bath right now! Or...okay, maybe a little...but that depends on how bad it is."

"Unless, you figure taking the penalties would be better than the mystery drugs, then we can just chill for...three minutes?"

Looking between the three options as the voice stopped, Recette shuddered, "It's worse than I thought...drugs."

For a moment, Recette bit her thumbnail in thought, trying to figure things out, her brain starting to clear as she focused on the task at hand rather than the overarching mission.

After a minute or so passed, she finally had some thoughts, beginning, "Okay, so...trying to cheat and not take a pill will probably give us a severe penalty, so...I guess we each just take one? You have a favorite color? Or, er, least favorite?"

Crossing her arms, she reasoned, "If only one of us gets...affected, we might have to take a break earlier than I'd hoped." Shaking her head, she insisted, "Er, I'm not saying that because I really want a bath right now! Or...okay, maybe a little...but that depends on how bad it is."

"Unless, you figure taking the penalties would be better than the mystery drugs, then we can just chill for...three minutes?"
Kyoko shakes her head, "Recette, this room is about making a critical decision. What if the doors never open because we never completed the room? We'd be trapped here forever. If we try something to avoid making a decision because we are scared of facing the consequences, then we can't consider ourselves to be hunters. So that means that we definitely have to try our best to make the right choice." Kyoko does a twirl, "I trust your judgement, so go ahead and pick. I'm sure you'll end up fine." Then without warning, Kyoko pushes her towards the table, trying to ensure Recette doesn't get any complex thoughts about what was about to happen.

Recette moped, "But if we're in some tough situation and come up with an even better choice than the obvious ones, shouldn't we pass?"

Recette wanted to try and go further on that train of though, but her idea to cheat the system was at conflict with Kyoko's mood. Reluctantly, Recette picked up the red pill, the one closest to her favorite color. Moving it to her mouth, she placed it in between her teeth trying to saw it into two, but it resisted. Surrendering, she let it fall onto her tongue, taking a moment to build up enough saliva to swallow it, finally doing so.

Recette let out a sigh once it was over, bracing herself for the consequences.

But...the navigator had said 'each of you must choose one of these pills and consume it'. He hadn't said they couldn't choose the same pill and both eat it, which would either leave them both in good condition, or possibly only under the negative effects for half an hour, leading to a rather miserable break, but it was too late now.

Recette moped, "But if we're in some tough situation and come up with an even better choice than the obvious ones, shouldn't we pass?"

Recette wanted to try and go further on that train of though, but her idea to cheat the system was at conflict with Kyoko's mood. Reluctantly, Recette picked up the red pill, the one closest to her favorite color. Moving it to her mouth, she placed it in between her teeth trying to saw it into two, but it resisted. Surrendering, she let it fall onto her tongue, taking a moment to build up enough saliva to swallow it, finally doing so.

Recette let out a sigh once it was over, bracing herself for the consequences.

But...the navigator had said 'each of you must choose one of these pills and consume it'. He hadn't said they couldn't choose the same pill and both eat it, which would either leave them both in good condition, or possibly only under the negative effects for half an hour, leading to a rather miserable break, but it was too late now.
Kyoko seems relieved when Recette chose her pill. Recette had chosen the correct pill. Kyoko knew her plan had worked. The reason Kyoko had chosen to rush Recette was to prevent her from fully thinking through the possibilities of what was possible. A mere 30 second wait proves it, the pills aren't going to be replaced. Even knowing that there is no correct option, Kyoko must nonetheless make her selection. It was this very possibility that Kyoko did not want for Recette.

Kyoko walks up to the table with the pills on it and takes hold of the blue pill. "Well, lets hope they were lying." She is already resolved to do this, so knowing that Recette might try to stop her, she swallows the pill immediately without even trying to build up saliva.

Once the pills were gone, Recette waited, but it seems any effects weren't going to be immediate. Sure enough, the door finally opened. With a gasp of realization, Recette groaned, "Augh! I bet you could have done it... He never said we had to eat two pills. If you'd bitten one of them in half and we each took a piece...well, I'd let me through for clever thinking."

Heading onward, Recette suggested, "Wanna wait until any effects start to show? The last thing we need is to start vomiting or something halfway through the next room, and I don't think there was a time limit on choosing rooms..."

Once the pills were gone, Recette waited, but it seems any effects weren't going to be immediate. Sure enough, the door finally opened. With a gasp of realization, Recette groaned, "Augh! I bet you could have done it... He never said we had to eat two pills. If you'd bitten one of them in half and we each took a piece...well, I'd let me through for clever thinking."

Heading onward, Recette suggested, "Wanna wait until any effects start to show? The last thing we need is to start vomiting or something halfway through the next room, and I don't think there was a time limit on choosing rooms..."
Kyoko seems off almost immediately. Before she had her usual cheer about her, but that was already gone. She seemed like she was having trouble staying on her feet. She holds her head as if she was experiencing a headache, "There was nothing that could be done. We need to keep going. I'll find a way, so lets do the 5 minute challenges. I don't want to give up this easily." Kyoko pushes herself to the door. "If I work hard, eventually my hard work will pay off when we make it to the exam, and have my license, and then..." Kyoko pushes open the door, locking in the decision. The door reads, "Fast Food Challenge."

Status
Not open for further replies.