Hunter x Hunter: The Truth is There

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Kyoko dropped down, Recette pouted, wishing Kyoko would get her butt out of the way. Lowering her gun and slipping her finger off the trigger, Recette wasn't exactly in much of a position to do much except keep her face from getting to red at Kyoko's lack of concern.

Fist still held in the air, shirt fitting a bit less well with its button missing, the man burned red with fury as he looked between Kyoko and Recette. With a snort, he turned, moving to sit back down, taking up the whole seat, arms crossed, as he warned, "Don't think I'll forget that..."

Letting out a sigh of relief, Recette looked back, seeing that the pen she'd 'accidentally' dropped had rolled off into the nether. Pouting, Recette struggled to find a way back up, before slipping off the edge of the seat and falling onto the ground. Standing up in the center aisle, trying to keep it casual, she said quietly, "Well, that's over with." Taking off her glasses, she returned them to her pocket, before opening up her suit coat a little, slipping her firearm back into a holster under her arm.

"By the way, I don't really like my guys the same way I like my guns," Recette stated with certainty as she waited to get her seat back. As the man in front turned his head to glare, Recette returned it, insisted, "Yes, we are going to keep talking."

As Kyoko dropped down, Recette pouted, wishing Kyoko would get her butt out of the way. Lowering her gun and slipping her finger off the trigger, Recette wasn't exactly in much of a position to do much except keep her face from getting to red at Kyoko's lack of concern.

Fist still held in the air, shirt fitting a bit less well with its button missing, the man burned red with fury as he looked between Kyoko and Recette. With a snort, he turned, moving to sit back down, taking up the whole seat, arms crossed, as he warned, "Don't think I'll forget that..."

Letting out a sigh of relief, Recette looked back, seeing that the pen she'd 'accidentally' dropped had rolled off into the nether. Pouting, Recette struggled to find a way back up, before slipping off the edge of the seat and falling onto the ground. Standing up in the center aisle, trying to keep it casual, she said quietly, "Well, that's over with." Taking off her glasses, she returned them to her pocket, before opening up her suit coat a little, slipping her firearm back into a holster under her arm.

"By the way, I don't really like my guys the same way I like my guns," Recette stated with certainty as she waited to get her seat back. As the man in front turned his head to glare, Recette returned it, insisted, "Yes, we are going to keep talking."
Kyoko was hesitant to continue speaking after she just offered to keep quiet for a bit if it would keep the peace. That being said, she didn't really feel beholden to the man, and she wanted to get a chance to get to know Recette before anything happened. Teamwork would only become more important as the exam drew on, and this was basically her only friend in all this. It was only natural that Kyoko wanted to talk to her. She compromises, lowering her voice lower as to not broadcast herself throughout the entire bus this time. "Well, you certainly had me fooled. The way you did that made you seem like a spy or something. Plus, your precision is amazing."

Kyoko slides down once Recette moves off of her part of the seat, then adjusts her skirt as to not continue to flash Recette. Kyoko then seems to get a spark of curiosity, "How did you learn to shoot like that?"

Last edited:
As Recette sidled into her seat, she couldn't help but turn a bit pink at Kyoko's compliment. She admitted, "Well, guns a good a doing damage, but..." Leaning in closer, she whispered, "I don't want to kill someone, so I needed to get good at shooting, you know?"

"As for how, well...I guess it's my dad's fault. See, he's tried several times to get his business going, but he's gone bankrupt too. He's taken some loans from some shadier types, so I've seen way too many debt collectors. They just come and take anything remotely valuable." With a shudder, she said, "They've even offered to buy me." Taking a breath, she puffed out her chest proudly, patting her hidden weapon before stating, "So I practiced a lot! It wasn't easy to get the money to buy ammo or hide it from the occasional debt collector, but..." Clenching her fist with determination, she began, "If I can beat this Hunter Exam..."

As Recette sidled into her seat, she couldn't help but turn a bit pink at Kyoko's compliment. She admitted, "Well, guns a good a doing damage, but..." Leaning in closer, she whispered, "I don't want to kill someone, so I needed to get good at shooting, you know?"

"As for how, well...I guess it's my dad's fault. See, he's tried several times to get his business going, but he's gone bankrupt too. He's taken some loans from some shadier types, so I've seen way too many debt collectors. They just come and take anything remotely valuable." With a shudder, she said, "They've even offered to buy me." Taking a breath, she puffed out her chest proudly, patting her hidden weapon before stating, "So I practiced a lot! It wasn't easy to get the money to buy ammo or hide it from the occasional debt collector, but..." Clenching her fist with determination, she began, "If I can beat this Hunter Exam..."
Kyoko seems to be extremely interested in Recette's story. This was the first time she ever heard of someone training their aim specifically to avoid killing someone. Generally speaking, when people pick up a gun, they do so because it makes them powerful. They do so, for the power to defeat their enemy. In this case shooting someone in the shoulder is much like shooting them in the leg. So long as they are able to consistently hit their target, it doesn't matter if they don't have control over where their bullet is going. Training further is something Recette was willing to do specifically because hitting her target wasn't enough. She needed to ensure that she didn't kill them, but incapacitated them enough to force a retreat. In addition, she couldn't afford to miss. The result is as seen before you, a close range sniper.

Needless to say, Kyoko was impressed with what she saw in Recette. Before she simply wanted to be with a girl around her age regardless of if they actually had a chance at becoming a hunter, but now she has begun to develop a respect for her skill as well. Only time would tell if Recette would live up to this respect, but for right now, Kyoko had impulsive remarks to make. Kyoko once again forgets her inside voice, "When you beat this Hunter Exam, you'll have a Hunter License. That is all you need to make your family never see financial insecurity ever again."

Last edited:
Smiling at Kyoko's declaration, Recette nodded, "That's the idea!" Kyoko's suggestion of beating the Hunter Exam echoing through her mind again, Recette got pumped, letting out a short battle cry as she launched her fist out, bopping the seat in front of her. The man from before turned to glare, Recette raising her hands, innocently glancing aside.

Once his attention moved away, Recette turned to Kyoko, wondering, "You said why you were taking the Exam but...what about after? Are you going back to where..." Recette trailed off, not really sure of what to say when it came to Kyoko's background.

Smiling at Kyoko's declaration, Recette nodded, "That's the idea!" Kyoko's suggestion of beating the Hunter Exam echoing through her mind again, Recette got pumped, letting out a short battle cry as she launched her fist out, bopping the seat in front of her. The man from before turned to glare, Recette raising her hands, innocently glancing aside.

Once his attention moved away, Recette turned to Kyoko, wondering, "You said why you were taking the Exam but...what about after? Are you going back to where..." Recette trailed off, not really sure of what to say when it came to Kyoko's background.
Kyoko lays back in her seat. This question had both an obvious and non-obvious answer. Kyoko sought to answer them in this order, "Well, if you mean what I'm going to do at the conclusion of the Hunter Exam, the first thing I'm going to do is return home and make sure my sister is ok. Though, if you meant what I'm going to do with my Hunter License, I'm actually not sure. The entire reason I'm doing this exam is because it was part of the package of entering into an experiment. I could definitely use it, but I'm just not sure what for quite yet. I haven't really been out much, so I don't even know what needs doing. I just know that if I look for something, I have an odd habit of finding it.

Experiment? Recette blinked. With every question, Recette just had more to ask...

She did state, "I don't think it's about what needs to be done. I think it's more about what you want to do! Some people hunt criminals, others look for rare animals or to solve historical mysteries. I have a good idea as to what kind of things I want to hunt, but..." Trailing off, she finished, "One step at a time!"

Experiment? Recette blinked. With every question, Recette just had more to ask...

She did state, "I don't think it's about what needs to be done. I think it's more about what you want to do! Some people hunt criminals, others look for rare animals or to solve historical mysteries. I have a good idea as to what kind of things I want to hunt, but..." Trailing off, she finished, "One step at a time!"
Just as the bus is finally about to clear the large incline that it has been climbing throughout the entire conversation, a small bang can be heard from underneath the bus. With it, the bus slowly starts to lose its forward momentum, until finally it begins rolling backward at speed. How the hunters react during this time will be critical to if they survive, or if the bus hurtles at speed right off the road. During this time the bus driver first attempts to use his brakes, then his emergency brake, and finally his parking brake. With each of these measures failing, his last effort is to man the steering wheel to keep them from falling off the road as long as possible.

"One step at a time!" Recette had said. Then something or other shook the bus. Glancing around, Recette wondered if they'd hit a particularly large pothole, but whether or not that was the case, the bus did seem to be slowing...stopping...going backwards? Picking up speed... As the other passengers began to take notice, so did Recette.

"Ahhhhhhh!" Recette squealed. Head looking back and forth between windows, Recette continued, "Ahhhhhhhhh!" As she screamed, a hand reached into her pocket, withdrawing her glasses. "Ahhhhh... Ahem. Now that that's out of my system..." Recette finished.

Looking at Kyoko, who had the window seat, Recette began, "Okay, so...shooting the tires probably wouldn't help us stop at these speeds, or we'll tumble, so...windows?" Glancing forwards, she muttered, "But Mr. Bus Driver..."

"One step at a time!" Recette had said. Then something or other shook the bus. Glancing around, Recette wondered if they'd hit a particularly large pothole, but whether or not that was the case, the bus did seem to be slowing...stopping...going backwards? Picking up speed... As the other passengers began to take notice, so did Recette.

"Ahhhhhhh!" Recette squealed. Head looking back and forth between windows, Recette continued, "Ahhhhhhhhh!" As she screamed, a hand reached into her pocket, withdrawing her glasses. "Ahhhhh... Ahem. Now that that's out of my system..." Recette finished.

Looking at Kyoko, who had the window seat, Recette began, "Okay, so...shooting the tires probably wouldn't help us stop at these speeds, or we'll tumble, so...windows?" Glancing forwards, she muttered, "But Mr. Bus Driver..."
Unfortunately, amidst the panic forming in the bus, the driver would be hard pressed to hear Recette's voice.

Kyoko, who once again fails to show concern for the obvious danger that she is in, wastes the first few seconds of the incident simply laughing at how Recette totally lost her cool until she got those sunglasses on. Kyoko thought to herself that Recette seems so goofy that she almost feels like an anime character, though if she were a bit more introspective, she might come to realize that she might be an even quirkier character. Considering the bus's current speed, Kyoko knew she wasn't really in any danger, and neither should this entire bus. She can sprint faster than this bus is rolling, so she could easily bail. The only thing preventing her from doing so was the number of people in the bus who have already begun to realize they are in no way cut out to be a hunter. Kyoko sighs, surprised that anyone seriously believed that this bus ride would reach the end without something drastic happening.

Kyoko thinks out loud, "Well either someone sabotaged us, or this is a test. So Recette, would you like to help me find out which it is?" Walking through the paniced crowd with ease, Kyoko makes her way up to the driver.

As Kyoko moved past, Recette nodded, "Understood." Standing, she slipped a hand into her suit coat, getting close to her firearm, just in case. Following Kyoko, she said boldly, "Coming through! Please clear the way!" As she moved, she couldn't help but glance back to the man who'd bothered them earlier, who was simply watching the havoc with passing interest.

Kyoko and Recette reaching the front, Recette went straight to the point, not sure about how much time they had left, asking, "Mr. Bus Driver! Can you stop the bus or would it be better to evacuate?"

As Kyoko moved past, Recette nodded, "Understood." Standing, she slipped a hand into her suit coat, getting close to her firearm, just in case. Following Kyoko, she said boldly, "Coming through! Please clear the way!" As she moved, she couldn't help but glance back to the man who'd bothered them earlier, who was simply watching the havoc with passing interest.

Kyoko and Recette reaching the front, Recette went straight to the point, not sure about how much time they had left, asking, "Mr. Bus Driver! Can you stop the bus or would it be better to evacuate?"
The bus driver does not avert his attention from his task of keeping the bus stable, however, he does respond. "I've tried my brakes, emergency brake, parking brake, and none of them worked. Someone must have sabotaged the bus, damn them. With no form of brakes, I'm afraid the only kind of stopping I can do is the swift and deadly kind, so I'm delaying that as long as I can until someone worth the title of hunter saves us. As for evacuation, I have no idea how you intend to evacuate these halfwits while the bus is moving this fast, but if that is your plan you need to get on it now. It is only a matter of time till we run out of road."

Gears churning in Recette's head (while Kyoko's were...what god could know?), she finally said, "I have an idea." Snapping a finger to Kyoko, then jabbing it to the bus door, Recette turned to the rest of the bus. As she only had a bit of attention, however, so she called, "Attention! Your attention please!"

She didn't get as much as she'd liked.

BANG BANG BANG

That worked.

Her pistol smoking from the barrel, the haze drifting towards three tiny new skylights. Recette lowered her gun, heading to the back of the bus as she began, much like a flight attendant, "Thank you! Now, if you will all please listen carefully." Managing to reach the back of the bus, she pulled the lever, opening the door on the back of the bus with some difficulty, as the air tried to push it closed.

Stepping to the side, gesturing with the door to her free hand, she commanded, "Now, would all those confident that they wouldn't be seriously maimed, injured, or otherwise harmed, attempt to jump out of the back and to the side of the bus? If you are less confident in your skill and agility, you may find the door next to my friend a more suitable." The inner Recette grinned maliciously at her jabs towards the prideful, hoping it would get some butts out of their seats.

Gears churning in Recette's head (while Kyoko's were...what god could know?), she finally said, "I have an idea." Snapping a finger to Kyoko, then jabbing it to the bus door, Recette turned to the rest of the bus. As she only had a bit of attention, however, so she called, "Attention! Your attention please!"

She didn't get as much as she'd liked.

BANG BANG BANG

That worked.

Her pistol smoking from the barrel, the haze drifting towards three tiny new skylights. Recette lowered her gun, heading to the back of the bus as she began, much like a flight attendant, "Thank you! Now, if you will all please listen carefully." Managing to reach the back of the bus, she pulled the lever, opening the door on the back of the bus with some difficulty, as the air tried to push it closed.

Stepping to the side, gesturing with the door to her free hand, she commanded, "Now, would all those confident that they wouldn't be seriously maimed, injured, or otherwise harmed, attempt to jump out of the back and to the side of the bus? If you are less confident in your skill and agility, you may find the door next to my friend a more suitable." The inner Recette grinned maliciously at her jabs towards the prideful, hoping it would get some butts out of their seats.
Recette's rather bold behavior is over the top enough to evoke the response she desired. Although everyone in the bus were on the road to becoming hunters, they had only now recognized the shame in their behavior. Though a few shot back glares of resentment, only one among the rabble confronted Recette. It was the same man who had yelled at Kyoko to shut up. Rather than engage in intimidation like he did with Kyoko, he attempts to gently shove Recette out of the way so that he can attempt the jump from the bus.

Meanwhile, Kyoko was getting bored without the panic, so she simply watched outside the window, complaining to the bus driver about his driving. Whining, "Mr. Bus Driver Person, you are so bad at this? I thought you were supposed to be a pro or something. I'm surprised we haven't capsized yet."

The bus driver, obviously annoyed, "I've been through dangers far worse than this. Just watch, we'll make it through this somehow. Just please, stop whining."

As the bus began to empty, Recette kept her head, watching the outside as everyone began to leave. However, after that man from before pushed her back, Recette was starting to feel that it was time to skedaddle.

As she began to slowly make her way forwards over the now empty seats, one of the would be hunters, a cloak covering much of his person, reached Kyoko's door. As he moved towards the open way, he chortled to Kyoko, "I almost left early, but I don't regret seeing you two at work. I hope you put up a fight when it comes to the actual Exam: it should be something to witness."

As he slipped offer, casually stepping onto the speeding ground without breaking pace, Recette arrived, not taking much notice of the one leaving. She opened her mouth to speak, but there was a 'thu-thump, thu-thump', one side of the bus raising slightly, first the back, then the front. Sweating a bit, acting as if it had never happened, Recette said to the Driver, "Kyoko and I can hop off at any time, but what about you?"

As the bus began to empty, Recette kept her head, watching the outside as everyone began to leave. However, after that man from before pushed her back, Recette was starting to feel that it was time to skedaddle.

As she began to slowly make her way forwards over the now empty seats, one of the would be hunters, a cloak covering much of his person, reached Kyoko's door. As he moved towards the open way, he chortled to Kyoko, "I almost left early, but I don't regret seeing you two at work. I hope you put up a fight when it comes to the actual Exam: it should be something to witness."

As he slipped offer, casually stepping onto the speeding ground without breaking pace, Recette arrived, not taking much notice of the one leaving. She opened her mouth to speak, but there was a 'thu-thump, thu-thump', one side of the bus raising slightly, first the back, then the front. Sweating a bit, acting as if it had never happened, Recette said to the Driver, "Kyoko and I can hop off at any time, but what about you?"
The bus driver shakes his head. "I've never claimed to be hunter material. If I tried to do something like that I'd just end up with a faceful of road, at best. Just evacuate everyone else, then worry about me. I may not be hunter material, but I know how to drive a bus."

Kyoko meanwhile looked off towards the person who suddenly tried to act all cool. He seemed to be an awfully standoffish type for him to act like this, but Kyoko seemed to have something different on her mind. She saw that he was able to take off the ground running from a speeding bus, so he certainly wasn't a weak person, yet he didn't have the mindfulness to consider this might be a test. If the test is to save the driver, evacuating like that just failed him. That didn't seem like a smart option. Kyoko thought that maybe now it would be a good idea to execute her plan, but when she could introduce it all depended on Recette's response to the driver. So Kyoko simply waited with her typical childish exuberance, anticipating the execution of her plan.

Rolling her head on her shoulders in thought, Recette began, "Well...I think I can get off this bus just fine alone, but..."

Tapping her finger to her forehead for a moment, she glanced behind her, seeing that the bus was almost empty, with just a few remaining trying to pluck up the courage to hop out of the back. Looking to Kyoko, there was something about her bounciness...

"You have anything in mind?" Recette asked.

Rolling her head on her shoulders in thought, Recette began, "Well...I think I can get off this bus just fine alone, but..."

Tapping her finger to her forehead for a moment, she glanced behind her, seeing that the bus was almost empty, with just a few remaining trying to pluck up the courage to hop out of the back. Looking to Kyoko, there was something about her bounciness...

"You have anything in mind?" Recette asked.
Kyoko smiles boldly, "That depends on how crazy you and Mr. Bus Driver are feeling."

Recette tilted her head as she though, before admitting, "See, now you've just gotten me curious." Glancing back over her shoulder, the bus was quite nearly empty, but chances are they were running out of road. Recette muttered harshly, "We don't have all the time in the world!"

Recette tilted her head as she though, before admitting, "See, now you've just gotten me curious." Glancing back over her shoulder, the bus was quite nearly empty, but chances are they were running out of road. Recette muttered harshly, "We don't have all the time in the world!"
"Well, there is a rock wall, and we are pretty strong. Maybe together we can work like brakes. It would probably tear up the bus, but it would probably make us stop without having to get everyone out one at a time."

Status
Not open for further replies.