Fire Emblem RP

Hmm... 'blah blah' is kinda a nonsense example though (in two ways) in that it's too short. Try doing an example actual conversation and you'll see that it's a lot slower. Plus, another thing I just realised: Conversations, especially in roleplays, have a lot of 'filler' around the words. Actions and expressions get described as they're speaking, and so even with line breaks, it just ends up looking much like a paragraph anyway.

If people aren't reading each others' posts we have an entirely different problem and I will be a very annoyed Falcon.
What I was meaning by that was once you read a post, you'll then go back to it to pick out bits of dialogue your character is going to respond to - it's much faster to do that when you can jump straight to the colour you're looking for.

As I have already said I have bad eyes, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Add in the fact that various users may be using various backgrounds, colors are, in general, a bad idea.
I have pretty bad eyesight too, but personally I find colour much easier to read. If everything's monochrome I'll just look at it and go "God, what a plain piece of text" and then right from the start, I'm approaching the text with a slightly negative attitude. It's a psychological effect. If I see a bit of colour here and there to make text obvious, I think "Oh that's nice, this writer put a bit of effort into formatting their work." If I see plain monochrome, it feels a bit rushed, and a little serious. It's so much more fun to read things if there's some colour here and there to brighten the place up.

Plus, what about a post that has multiple people speaking in it? Lets say this character is on the phone, so my own character can only hear what one character is saying, even though there's speech for 2 characters written on the page. I want to see what my own character can reply to, so I scroll up, see purple and go "oh yeah, I can respond to any of these, but I can't hear orange." With no colour, I scroll up but when I get to the dialogue parts I'm having to read the entire dialogue to find which sentences belong to which character. That's difficult enough, but more a pain than an actual obstacle, but when there's 3 characters? Impossible unless you're putting "said Steve." "Said John" and variations thereof at the end of every line.
Pacing is not determined by how many lines of test you have in a row, but rather how varied in length those lines of text are. Blocks of text are hard to read. Period. Especially when the dialogue of two separate characters is shoved together. And sometime, slowing down the pace helps with clarity. Clarity over speed. Readability over saving space.
I'm sorry, but this is just wrong. I know I didn't bother saying "in my opinion" all the time when I was talking about it, but you're clearly stating here that you think it's the same for everyone, what with the 'period'. You can't speak for what I find easiest to read, and the way I read, because you're not inside my head (at least, I hope not!) You start a new paragraph when you change point. That makes it easy to read because every paragraph is talking about a specific thing. Put line breaks in for speech though, and suddenly you're splitting paragraphs, which is hard to read because you have to keep stopping to figure out whether this new paragraph is still related to the one before the speech.

So all in all, everyone highlights dialogue in their own way, and not everyone is going to agree to the process. I feel like my blue-colored text has started a huge argument..
Can we get back to FE..before this gets out of hand?

• Thank You
Reactions: Falcon
Okay.
I understand you feel differently, and that's your prerogative. I apologize if I've offended you with my blunt manner.
However this is not a debate.

*puts on GM hat*

I stand by what years of writing and what multiple English teachers and college professors have pounded into my head.
And yes, I fully expect people to write like they would for a creative lit class and that includes all the "he said, she said" modifiers.

I am the GM and this is not a request. Line breaks and quotations instead of color is one of my rule.

*goes back to creating the OOC content*

To those of you who don't normally use linebreaks, just think of this RP as a challenge to broaden your writing style.

When I was writing for another story on this site, the situation was flipped. I was a line break person and they all did color and borders/boxes around dialog. It didn't challenge my writing so much as my html know-how but still, it pushed me out of my comfort zone and I grew a little.

Try to see it as a growing experience.

Reactions: - Falcon -
Okay.
I understand you feel differently, and that's your prerogative. I apologize if I've offended you with my blunt manner.
However this is not a debate.

*puts on GM hat*

I stand by what years of writing and what multiple English teachers and college professors have pounded into my head.
And yes, I fully expect people to write like they would for a creative lit class and that includes all the "he said, she said" modifiers.

I am the GM and this is not a request. Line breaks and quotations instead of color is one of my rule.
Well I'm not going to argue anymore because you're right; you ARE the GM. But I feel you're forgetting something very important: why we're all here. We're here for fun. We're here to tell a story in a way that we can share with friends. We're not here to score Quality of Written Communication marks. Yes, you're in charge, yes you can kick us out; but is it really the end of the world if you have to read something written in a way you don't particularly like? Naturally, the same can be applied to myself which is why I'm not going to argue - just food for thought.

Well back onto FE related things i've actually been mulling over changing Slyvia's armor to be more aligned with the older FE style, even though prior to awakening there was only one female merc and even then for only one game... And she wasnt really wearing armor to begin with. I guess I'd just have to look at similar classes to stay stylistically cohesive... Or just keep with the awakening style armor humm

Look, I know I'm coming across as a hard-ass, stubborn GM, and the truth is some of that is intentional.

Keep in mind that we are already over 10 people with a possibility of gaining more, and a GM of an RP on this scale has multiple things to keep track of:
active members, who's playing what, which character is which rank, which person has which plot idea, time line of events, making sure no one is sand-boxing, making sure no one is left behind, coming up with good plot twists, trying to incorporate elements people will have fun with, keeping everyone involved somehow, RP time and calendar, incorporating things the players want in, and probably others that escape me right now.

It's not easy
And I've learned what control I need to keep for myself.

The easier posts are for me to read the easier the RP is to maintain and the less likely I am to burn out before we're ready to end it.

I'm sorry if it messes with your comfort zone, I really am. But this really is one of those things I can't budge on.

@AutumnWyvern - Your armor is completely up to what you think will be best for your character

I'm hoping that people with characters from the same land will work together to create a culture that works for them, and have fun with it ^_^

On a similar note, anyone wanting to play a lord is welcome to design their own ruling family/nobility for that lord to be from - just keep in mind that there are only four Lord slots available and I'd like each to specialize in their own weapon.
Slot five is for the kidnapped lord which will be my character ^_^

Just wanted to say that I lurk lol, and I am a go with the flow sort of guy (unlike my avatar) so I'm good with doing it all, I was around the old FESS (Fire Emblem Sanctuary of Strategy) as well as FE Universe and Tactics Universe when they were around, and since went from gateway to guild and finally to here all within probably a 16 year time since I was 10 years old. So I've kinda seen all the ways people tend to write, I tend to find it fun to switch shit up every now and then.

Also Fe related would being a soldierish class be okay, like being called a Lancer then going into Halberdier/Sentinel?

• Thank You
Reactions: Falcon
@Archer
Are you okay making that fit within my established class chart somehow?

What I mean is if a lancer is the official rank/title of your character but class wise they fit the parameters of a knight (or whatever you think it would be)

Well if that's the case is anyone else thinking of having a character from Hieya? I was thinking for Slyvia personally she'd be from a smaller town closer to the eastern border, a place that would be a popular spot for soldiers and sellswords on patrol to rest a while. That is what helped foster her fighting spirit (as opposed to simply being from Ferox hah). Also the proximity to the eastern border helps with the halfbreed backstory, if you couldn't guess.

okay your spot is marked as reserved

Anyone else need to reserve something now?

Does my character count for a kemonojin slot as well or just mercenary? Since she doesn't have a stone outright.

No stone would = just mercenary since you're not planning on using a stone for transformations
When/if she gains a stone we'll count that as a class change and she would keep any mercenary abilities she's learned

Makes sense :o