Fire Emblem RP

Not particularity on topic but @diabolical your text color is very hard to read on the darker layouts, and the lighter layouts tend to strain my eyes... If you don't mind changing to a different shade that'd be swell.

Sorry, I was sure that I'd picked a decent color..I'll use the default from now on.

Sorry, I was sure that I'd picked a decent color..I'll use the default from now on.
It's alright thanks for changin' In the lower left corner you can change the layout quickly if you didn't already know that if you want to check how other themes look.

It's alright thanks for changin' In the lower left corner you can change the layout quickly if you didn't already know that if you want to check how other themes look.
Yeah, thanks though.
Because to me, the blue and black contrast well...so, I didn't consider the contrast of it for others. The only theme I can handle looking at on here, is Violet Queen.

So, since you brought it up, which colors are easy to see besides this one I'm using now? Just so no one else has any problems reading my future posts.

I actually have a rule about using only one color per post (excluding headers) in my IC threads. My eyes are bad as well.

In general dark text on a light background or light text for a dark background work well. Midtone on Midtone is difficult to see.
If you can't decide if your text color looks good on all the backgrounds you can use the [bg] code to place a background behind your text so it'll look the same on all.

so for example:
Code:
 [bg=blue] [color=white]your text here[/color] [/bg]

would look like

[bg=blue] your text here [/bg]

This is a very helpful tool for choosing colors HTML Color Groups
If you click on a color name it'll show what that color looks like as a background with the other colors as text on it.[/bg]

"one colour per post" so does that mean no using colour to discern speech?

Correct

Use standard quotation marks and line breaks please

I actually have a rule about using only one color per post (excluding headers) in my IC threads. My eyes are bad as well.

In general dark text on a light background or light text for a dark background work well. Midtone on Midtone is difficult to see.
If you can't decide if your text color looks good on all the backgrounds you can use the [bg] code to place a background behind your text so it'll look the same on all.

so for example:
Code:
 [bg=blue] [color=white]your text here[/color] [/bg]

would look like

[bg=blue] your text here [/bg]

This is a very helpful tool for choosing colors HTML Color Groups
If you click on a color name it'll show what that color looks like as a background with the other colors as text on it.[/bg]
Okay, well I'll just continue to go with the default color on this thread then. As for the dialogue, I'll be sad to see all one color..but I'll get over it.

So, question.
Would bolding dialogue be okay then? To distinguish it from normal text..? Along with the quotes, of course.

I use thunder grey myself. I the black themes are fine for me vision-wise but some of the accent colors are a bit off or don't really seem cohesive enough. Purely aesthetics haha.
And that's good to know. I default to not using colored speech and I always feel very awkward when it's expected and I didn't think of it. Started rping on petsite forums and IM where you couldn't change your color text mid-way (or you could but you had such a limited character count to deal with no one bothered). The first time I saw fancy rp posts was on gaia and that threw me for a loop. I never did faceclaims either (I once accidentally got into an argument on an old now-dead rp forum about this. I mentioned that I never did face claims and someone jumped on me for acting "holier than thou" and since they were an older and more respected user you can imagine the thrashing).

It's so funny to me how where someone starts rping shapes them so much.

Correct

Use standard quotation marks and line breaks please
Line breaks, of course... Lol been roleplaying so long I forgot how speech was handled in books XD

I use thunder grey myself. I the black themes are fine for me vision-wise but some of the accent colors are a bit off or don't really seem cohesive enough. Purely aesthetics haha.
And that's good to know. I default to not using colored speech and I always feel very awkward when it's expected and I didn't think of it. Started rping on petsite forums and IM where you couldn't change your color text mid-way (or you could but you had such a limited character count to deal with no one bothered). The first time I saw fancy rp posts was on gaia and that threw me for a loop. I never did faceclaims either (I once accidentally got into an argument on an old now-dead rp forum about this. I mentioned that I never did face claims and someone jumped on me for acting "holier than thou" and since they were an older and more respected user you can imagine the thrashing).

It's so funny to me how where someone starts rping shapes them so much.
I dunno... I mean, I started on the back-ends of a weeby Pokemon forum, yet I've been here long enough now to have completely dropped all the tendencies picked up there (like having the OOC and IC thread in together because of shitty forum rules to save space. Urgh.)

I don't see why you'd need to if you're using proper line breaks and quotations to be honest, but if it makes you feel better Bold is fine.

I've been role-playing since I was thirteen, 15 years ago now, and to be honest the colored text and face claim things are very new to me (last three years or so). Call me old-school if you like, but I greatly prefer line breaks and quotes to color. I find it easier to read ^_^

I don't see why you'd need to if you're using proper line breaks and quotations to be honest, but if it makes you feel better Bold is fine.

I've been role-playing since I was thirteen, 15 years ago now, and to be honest the colored text and face claim things are very new to me (last three years or so). Call me old-school if you like, but I greatly prefer line breaks and quotes to color. I find it easier to read ^_^
Wow... what a grandma! I've barely been alive 15 years! Give or take 2, but I don't really consider before 2 as 'me' because at 2, personality is deconstructed and rebuilt from scratch anyway. I agree, line breaks are easier to read if you're actually reading it, but personally I prefer coloured text. Line breaks interrupt the overall flow of the event and can slow it down a little, so leaving the speech in the paragraph and colouring it to make it still easy to find I guess is sort of a compromise that gets made a lot.

I dunno... I mean, I started on the back-ends of a weeby Pokemon forum, yet I've been here long enough now to have completely dropped all the tendencies picked up there (like having the OOC and IC thread in together because of shitty forum rules to save space. Urgh.)
Ah. Well maybe I'm just stuck in my old ways as well. I'll be going on 10 or so years of rping myself... Started when I was 11 more specifically on neopets and furcadia, and once I made friends via Yahoo IM. I feel old just talking about it and I'm not that old aaaah.
Perhaps there is something about old farts using line breaks eh @New Years Falcon ?

I'm not quite sure where I flow. I have coloured texts alright if they aren't horribly bright and irritating to the eyes.

But on preference, going to with line breaks. I've only recently tried the colours, and I'm still not sure if I like or or not.

I don't ever use line breaks. So bolding is the only way for me to see the dialogue from the normal text. Honesty, the quotes don't help much to put them apart for my eyes.
So, as you all say about the color contrast, I need a clear way to see them apart.

I'm with Diabolical here. Quote marks and even bold is actually really unhelpful when it's in a block of text. (Although yes, that would be solved by line breaking). Either way, it cuts up the pacing. When each person's speech is directly next to the person before, it makes it feel fast paced - like a proper conversation. Having line breaks makes it read slower, as if each character is waiting a bit before responding.

Well this is one thing I never expected people to feel so strongly about! As someone who prefers line breaks and usually has to adapt to colored text (and sometimes fancier things like icons and such- an absolute terror when you draw everything yourself) I never saw it necessary and just kind of sucked it up and did it because that is what everyone else did, and I'd feel very out of place if my posts were the only plain ones in the rp... Maybe it's because I read a lot (fic and print) but I don't see how line breaks ruin the flow. I mean after the conversation gets started you can drop off the -said unless you need some sort of specific descriptor so its just
"blah blah"
"blah"
"blah blah blah"
rapid fire hoho!

Besides isn't it a relief to not have to worry about all that extra frill?

• Thank You
Reactions: Falcon
I agree, line breaks are easier to read if you're actually reading it,

If people aren't reading each others' posts we have an entirely different problem and I will be a very annoyed Falcon.

As for the rest:
As I have already said I have bad eyes, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Add in the fact that various users may be using various backgrounds, colors are, in general, a bad idea.

If you're writing in large blocks of text and hoping people are finding your dialogue to reply to, odds are the reason people are having trouble finding your dialogue is not because of the color, or lack thereof, but because the dialogue itself is hidden in a large block of text. The easiest way to set apart important information from other text is to set if apart physically.
There is a reason editors and professional writers set up their works is such fashion.

Pacing is not determined by how many lines of test you have in a row, but rather how varied in length those lines of text are. Blocks of text are hard to read. Period. Especially when the dialogue of two separate characters is shoved together. And sometime, slowing down the pace helps with clarity. Clarity over speed. Readability over saving space.

If you need to reference someone else's post we have a quote function for a reason.

Dang, we probably started right around the same time then. I've got a year on you age wise but I think I started around 14 or 15. Glad to see I'm not the only one here in their late 20's.

Reactions: - Falcon -
If people aren't reading each others' posts we have an entirely different problem and I will be a very annoyed Falcon.

As for the rest:
As I have already said I have bad eyes, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Add in the fact that various users may be using various backgrounds, colors are, in general, a bad idea.

If you're writing in large blocks of text and hoping people are finding your dialogue to reply to, odds are the reason people are having trouble finding your dialogue is not because of the color, or lack thereof, but because the dialogue itself is hidden in a large block of text. The easiest way to set apart important information from other text is to set if apart physically.
There is a reason editors and professional writers set up their works is such fashion.

Pacing is not determined by how many lines of test you have in a row, but rather how varied in length those lines of text are. Blocks of text are hard to read. Period. Especially when the dialogue of two separate characters is shoved together. And sometime, slowing down the pace helps with clarity. Clarity over speed. Readability over saving space.

If you need to reference someone else's post we have a quote function for a reason.

I second this. I'm a journalist in my IRL job, and we have a 3 sentence max in our paragraphs before line breaks specifically because chunks of text are hard on a reader's eyes. Not only do they help improve readability, but they give you a tool for building flow and pacing into your writing without having to spell it out for the reader.

• Thank You
Reactions: Falcon