Fire Emblem RP

- In regards to magic users, will they all come from spell books and staves that house a single spell? Will there be a cantrip option or will a mage have to burn up durability from a fire spell book to lite a camp fire with magic?
Given that a warrior would be able to punch a mosquito without using a weapon, I reckon you'll be K with having cantrips.
- For magic weapons (from Awakening I think, correct me if I'm wrong) will these be a thing and follow the same rules of using magical potential rather then physical potential? If they are an option, could there be a physical option for mages and magic users or would those strange weapons be too much?
Those were pretty rare in the game and required weapon affinity C, I think, so even if they are in the game, don't expect to see one early on.
- How about fabled or story based weaponry? Examples like Ike's sword or the Dark Knight's blade that have no durability, will these be optional or reserved for 'Raid Boss' esque villains or event style things only?
I think special weapons were mentioned at one point, but no one bothered questioning anything about that so I don't know for sure. Also, this is an alternate universe, so it's unlikely that fabled weapons would find there way here.

I think special weapons were mentioned at one point, but no one bothered questioning anything about that so I don't know for sure. Also, this is an alternate universe, so it's unlikely that fabled weapons would find there way here.

For that, I mean more for the purpose of making our own legends and adding a bit more to expand and broaden the world and all that jazz, not that we'd be finding things like Ike's sword specially, I'd kind of meant for it to be more of an example of a fabled weapon rather then one that would actually appear if that makes sense?

For that, I mean more for the purpose of making our own legends and adding a bit more to expand and broaden the world and all that jazz, not that we'd be finding things like Ike's sword specially, I'd kind of meant for it to be more of an example of a fabled weapon rather then one that would actually appear if that makes sense?
Ah, gotcha. Seems Falcon wants a pretty tight control over the setting, so that's probably not going to be possible. I think inventing heros to have the weapons of may interrupt his plans.

I want so badly to join in on this rp...but I feel as though I'm not even slightly Fire Emblem savvy enough to even comprehend what I would need to in order to not look like an idiot...

That being said, what would I need to do to be able to keep up? Ex..read up on FE terms, races..etc.?

I want so badly to join in on this rp...but I feel as though I'm not even slightly Fire Emblem savvy enough to even comprehend what I would need to in order to not look like an idiot...

That being said, what would I need to do to be able to keep up? Ex..read up on FE terms, races..etc.?
Have you played a Fire Emblem game? As long as you know the basic mechanics of what a class is, and the weapon triangles, you should be fine. The world is a different world to the other FE games, so you don't need to know the story of the other games (you should play them anyway though, cos they're good). I'm not particularly fire emblem savvy myself either. I just play the games, have fun etc. I don't really bother making perfect characters or anything - I pair up based on which characters I think would have good dialogues. I change around my team to weaker members just to have some fun with strategies and stuff. I think if you play a game to the point where you're 'savvy' enough in it that you've memorised every number, every mechanic... you're just sad.

Have you played a Fire Emblem game? As long as you know the basic mechanics of what a class is, and the weapon triangles, you should be fine. The world is a different world to the other FE games, so you don't need to know the story of the other games (you should play them anyway though, cos they're good). I'm not particularly fire emblem savvy myself either. I just play the games, have fun etc. I don't really bother making perfect characters or anything - I pair up based on which characters I think would have good dialogues. I change around my team to weaker members just to have some fun with strategies and stuff. I think if you play a game to the point where you're 'savvy' enough in it that you've memorised every number, every mechanic... you're just sad.
Yes, I've definitely played Fire Emblem!
Well, Sacred Stones and FE for GBA, Path Of Radiance for GC..I haven't gotten around to playing Awakening or Fates yet.
But I will in a few weeks actually.

I understand the weapon triangle and classes..promotions and such.
So I guess I should be good, then?
It's just everyone on here knew a lot! So, I felt maybe I was just under-educated is all.

@Korra Quinn - yep we are still open!
@ᴅɪᴀʙᴏʟɪᴄᴀʟ - Join anyway! I'll try to explain everything you'll need for the RP when I make the OOC and If I miss something just ask. Plus the rest of the players should be able to help you out too. This game is about having fun, not showing of FE knowledge ^_^ though it sounds like you'll be fine.

@Archer @Aria Valle @AtomicItalian @AutumnWyvern @Dubs of Stigma @Kestrel @Karakui @Leif

As a general announcement, I will always be open to accepting new people. The nature of Fire Emblem makes it easy to accept new characters ^_^
Though depending on how many we end up with I may limit the number of characters people can play at some point :)
To start I'm going to say one each and at the rp progresses I'll allow more

and at this point I think there's enough interest for me to begin putting together an OOC so expect that this week ^_^

In regards to magic users, will they all come from spell books and staves that house a single spell? Will there be a cantrip option or will a mage have to burn up durability from a fire spell book to lite a camp fire with magic?
I completely forgot to explain how magic would work! O,O
My plan is this. Each spell caster will carry their own book which they may add spells to as the story progresses. A character will start with one and may find.buy/develop more at a reasonable pace. Magic will use the energy of the castor. (Because in an RP setting that makes more sense to me) the more difficult the spell the more energy it uses.
So like how a tome can break in game, an mage will instead run out of enough strength to cast.

little spells like lighting a camp fire will only sap a tiny bit while a fireball mid battle will take a measurable amount etc.
I hope that made sense

- For summoners, how liberal are they allowed to get with their summons? If memory serves, they lasted a set amount of time and were relatively weak in the games. Would people be able to tweak this or be selective about what's summoned to have more unique options? Maybe even do some role reversal where the summon plays the larger role then the castor or will it stay true to the game's methodology?
I prefer to stay within the methodology of the game. But I will say that the more experienced a summoner the more control they will have over what is summoned and how it behaves.

- For magic weapons (from Awakening I think, correct me if I'm wrong) will these be a thing and follow the same rules of using magical potential rather then physical potential? If they are an option, could there be a physical option for mages and magic users or would those strange weapons be too much?
For magic weapons, which I'm still debating, if I decide to include them they will be a very rare find. I'll let you know the rules when I've decided ^_^

For pure staff users, would they simply be incapable of fighting back in combat or comparatively ineffectual like they are in the game? or will a combat version of a staff be optional in this setting just to give them some hope?
Staffs will not be designed for combat. Staff users, however, are free to be creative with what they have. throw rocks, use a tree branch, attempt to use someone else's sword etc. Just be responsible about it. If it's a first time a character's ever held an axe, then I expect them to be clumsy and fumble through it. Characters may be ttrined by other characters too. That way when it's promotion time they'll know what they're doing ^_^

How about fabled or story based weaponry? Examples like Ike's sword or the Dark Knight's blade that have no durability, will these be optional or reserved for 'Raid Boss' esque villains or event style things only?
Karakui's right. For plot purposes I do need relatively tight setting control as far as the geography and history are concerned. That said if you want to spend time to make up a legend, feel free to PM it to me along with your weapon idea and intent. If it fits with my plans I see no reason not to work it in somehow ^_^

Staffs will not be designed for combat. Staff users, however, are free to be creative with what they have. throw rocks, use a tree branch, attempt to use someone else's sword etc. Just be responsible about it. If it's a first time a character's ever held an axe, then I expect them to be clumsy and fumble through it. Characters may be ttrined by other characters too. That way when it's promotion time they'll know what they're doing ^_
Um, isn't Tree Branch an actual weapon though? I know my Morgan was using Logs for a while when I couldn't afford to buy lances.

Um, isn't Tree Branch an actual weapon though? I know my Morgan was using Logs for a while when I couldn't afford to buy lances.
That would be what inspired that ;D but I see no reason to make a branch class specific when anyone could just pick one up IRL and have a relatively decent chance of hitting something with it.

Also

I think inventing heros to have the weapons of may interrupt his plans.

I'm a women :P

I completely forgot to explain how magic would work! O,O
My plan is this. Each spell caster will carry their own book which they may add spells to as the story progresses. A character will start with one and may find.buy/develop more at a reasonable pace. Magic will use the energy of the castor. (Because in an RP setting that makes more sense to me) the more difficult the spell the more energy it uses.
So like how a tome can break in game, an mage will instead run out of enough strength to cast.

little spells like lighting a camp fire will only sap a tiny bit while a fireball mid battle will take a measurable amount etc.
I hope that made sense
If you don't mind a suggestion, I have an idea you might approve of? While that energy can equate to a swordsman's stamina, it doesn't quite represent the same fear or 'loss' that a swordsman breaking their sword might feel (since all they have to do is chill out and then get back into the fight)

I propose that every mage or spell caster carry around a book or staff, and their durability or "Tomes" as seen in the game would instead be pages in the book or gemstones in the staff allowing them to cast different spells. As they cast their spells, these pages or gems would grow tarnished, worn or cracked before shattering when durability reaches it's limits. That way it's a bit more similar and they could buy pages or gems if that was how you wanted to do things?

Also, i randomly had another thought from earlier;

- Would a Summoner be able to keep several summons live and active simultaneously? Maybe for the duration of a conflict or until death rather then fading away randomly?

- Would Villainous characters be plausible or are you looking only for heroically spirited people just so i can kinda start imagining in my head options and potentials.

I'm a women :P
Bloody hell! How does that work? I played a game once where your one character was made up of 3 individual creatures (allods online, I think), but I never expected that in real life!

Reactions: Prince Noctis
I propose that every mage or spell caster carry around a book or staff, and their durability or "Tomes" as seen in the game would instead be pages in the book or gemstones in the staff allowing them to cast different spells. As they cast their spells, these pages or gems would grow tarnished, worn or cracked before shattering when durability reaches it's limits. That way it's a bit more similar and they could buy pages or gems if that was how you wanted to do things?
I like this idea. Perhaps you have your tome, and you also have your Focus. When you use magic, your Focus becomes clouded, and eventually becomes completely dark - so you have to buy a new one. That way you at least won't lost the 300 pages of writing you had to tediously create to transliterate that Excalibur XD

@Karakui - I think you have me mixed up with someone else. Iwaku is my only active RPG forum and I've never made a character like that ^_^

Also magic wise, let's go with your focus idea.
That would also play into how the staffs work, and it would give the item breaking aspect I think people are looking for.

Would a Summoner be able to keep several summons live and active simultaneously? Maybe for the duration of a conflict or until death rather then fading away randomly?
I think the random fading is the drawback of summoning and I'd like to keep it ^_^
To me it's similar to how pegasi are weak against bows or heavy armor is weak against magic.

Would Villainous characters be plausible or are you looking only for heroically spirited people just so i can kinda start imagining in my head options and potentials.

Yes you may create a villain. But I do need you to check any plans with me before throwing them into the game.

Also remember one character to start would include your villain, so you'd need to be creative about interacting with people if they are your starting character.

Yes you may create a villain. But I do need you to check any plans with me before throwing them into the game.

Also remember one character to start would include your villain, so you'd need to be creative about interacting with people if they are your starting character.
Something like Tharja, a villainous character who happens to join up but might not necessarily be welcomed with open arms? Perhaps even Necromancer-like that many might have an aversion to or bias against

Ah you mean villain type personality, not a game villain?
<3

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

All personality types, backgrounds, lifestyles, etc are welcome.

@Karakui - I think you have me mixed up with someone else. Iwaku is my only active RPG forum and I've never made a character like that ^_^
I was actually making a joke on your typo... you wrote "women" instead of "woman" so I was making a reference to an obscure MMORPG in which one of the 'races' is actually 3 little characters that share the same hitbox. Pretend I was calling you the equivalent of 4 babies in a coat. "your" being the general "you" used to mean "any particular subject".

Something like Tharja, a villainous character who happens to join up but might not necessarily be welcomed with open arms? Perhaps even Necromancer-like that many might have an aversion to or bias against
Tharja was welcomed with open arms into my team :P That Luna Sniper she made was invaluable.

Haha okay fair game ^_^

And I have made some pretty hilarious typos, don't remember the contexts right now though.

@ᴅɪᴀʙᴏʟɪᴄᴀʟ - Join anyway! I'll try to explain everything you'll need for the RP when I make the OOC and If I miss something just ask. Plus the rest of the players should be able to help you out too. This game is about having fun, not showing of FE knowledge ^_^ though it sounds like you'll be fine.
Okay, thanks a lot!
Now here come the questions..well, later anyway.

Reactions: - Falcon -
Not particularity on topic but @diabolical your text color is very hard to read on the darker layouts, and the lighter layouts tend to strain my eyes... If you don't mind changing to a different shade that'd be swell.