• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
It actually looks like everyone's going to be speaking english anyway. The aliens, however...

Maybe in this particular universe, everyone magically speaks the same language.

It actually looks like everyone's going to be speaking english anyway. The aliens, however...

Maybe in this particular universe, everyone magically speaks the same language.
Well, by "aliens" do you mean the space pirates and other aliens from the universe that all our characters have been taken to, or the characters who are already "aliens" in their own universe?

Because I know Adric technically doesn't speak English. :P

Well, by "aliens" do you mean the space pirates and other aliens from the universe that all our characters have been taken to, or the characters who are already "aliens" in their own universe?

Because I know Adric technically doesn't speak English. :P

Everyone speaks the same language magically. Don't question the multiverse.

A language barrier in a big space setting prevents everybody from communicating with everybody: so private conversations without the Doctor around, conversations between antagonists of different races that happen off-set, new characters that come in and their need to have been able to communicate to even reach the group, or if the character that owns the explanation leaves. It is good to have an explanation, but in truth that kind of explaining never fully ends. Better to take the note from Star Wars and everyone but the most exotic speaks a common language. Or a universal solution like a babblefish which puts everybody in the universe on the same page and allows a language barrier to be created if it is wanted for something.

The idea is if it is just an obstacle to writing it is better to completely ignore it instead of bogged down in the cause of some false sense of realism. It is only when the language barrier is of value that it even merits thinking about.

Not such that the presence of a common language should prevent the existence of other languages and cultures though.

A language barrier in a big space setting prevents everybody from communicating with everybody: so private conversations without the Doctor around, conversations between antagonists of different races that happen off-set, new characters that come in and their need to have been able to communicate to even reach the group, or if the character that owns the explanation leaves. It is good to have an explanation, but in truth that kind of explaining never fully ends. Better to take the note from Star Wars and everyone but the most exotic speaks a common language. Or a universal solution like a babblefish which puts everybody in the universe on the same page and allows a language barrier to be created if it is wanted for something.

The idea is if it is just an obstacle to writing it is better to completely ignore it instead of bogged down in the cause of some false sense of realism. It is only when the language barrier is of value that it even merits thinking about.

Not such that the presence of a common language should prevent the existence of other languages and cultures though.
Ok but like, the thing I've been trying to say with the Doctor Who example all this time is... it is basically the same as completely ignoring language barriers. The auto-translate still works even in situations where you'd think that it shouldn't (like the examples you listed).

Whether we completely ignore language barriers, or go for an auto-translate thing, it wouldn't affect our roleplaying in the slightest. The end result of it all would be exactly the same. I only brought up the possibility of an auto-translate because then at least we don't have to tiptoe around the subject in the IC. It's just kind of nice to have some in-universe justification for why there's no language barrier issue (even if it's a kind of hollow explanation), rather than feeling like it's something that we just can't ever bring up in the IC.

Wait, why's this all such a big deal? It's fictional. We don't really even need to think about it at all.

Let's just enjoy the chaos as it comes, yeah?

...I just wanted to know if I had to come up with something for the language barrier hehehe

And Kara's first language is Kryptonian, second language is English. So she might slip in some Krpytonian from time to time.

And in my opinion.. language barriers do make for interesting RP sometimes. If its not excessive. Good way for characters to try and connect and learn about one another. Character development... in my opinion.

But it's all good since they all speak Basic, there's no need for huffery!

It's going to be posted in a few. I must apologize in advance if it isn't great. As, I want to put it up before work kicks up. [And I may not have enough time for awhile to even work on the IC once work starts.]

Yeah, I know. But, sometimes real life makes it hard to check. Dx
In that case, just be sure to check your "watched threads" list once in a while. It'll show you all the threads you're watching but have unread posts for (in other words, threads that you haven't been getting alerts for).

• Thank You
Reactions: Lord President Nick
Hey there. You guys are still accepting, yeah? Looks like you have quite the group; how fast do you expect your players to post? Like multiple times a day or more like once a day or every few days? I'm interested but I worry about slowing things down if I can't keep up with every one else's schedule. (I'm also still deciding who I want to play...)

Hey there. You guys are still accepting, yeah? Looks like you have quite the group; how fast do you expect your players to post? Like multiple times a day or more like once a day or every few days? I'm interested but I worry about slowing things down if I can't keep up with every one else's schedule. (I'm also still deciding who I want to play...)
I was concerned about the same thing, but I was told that I would only have to post once a week. (Though I guess I should tag @The Wanderer just to make sure that's still the case. o3o )

We're still accepting. @Garp

Perfectly fine. Want me to link you to the Character Index? @Garp

Status
Not open for further replies.