Can you?

• Mos Def

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 53.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to regret sticking my neck out here, but I just find it really bizarre how white people can see one or two famous black people say something they want to agree with and say, "see? it's totally okay! This one black person said it!" You can hear hundreds, if not thousands, of black folks say the opposite, but the moment one famous black person says what you want to believe, bam, that means there's proof that you're right and everyone else is wrong.

I don't get it.
There's an actual term for that. Confirmation Bias.
Counterpoint: Most white people in the US say they're wholly against racial inequality and despise racist people, but the moment one white person does something racist and it goes viral you get the horde of people coming out of the woodwork to talk about how that proves that all white people are racist scumbags.

Confirmation bias comes from all corners when it suits their world view.

but then white people destroyed 3/4 of the world for spices but now have the nerve to not season their food?

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Astaroth
That's silly. As a Dutchman I am very serious about seasoning. It's what my ancestors would want.

Don't let them stop you from living you dreams maaaaan.
It's a matter of cash and being social. :P

I live at home, what I eat is basically up to what my parents buy (well, I can put stuff on the grocery list. But stores don't sell fried chicken).
And when out with friends, none of them ever want it. So me grabbing some would require ditching them completely.

...This topic simply asked if you can say the word. Now ya niggas turning all this upside down and moving deeper into the whole damn thing. I see a close in the future. As usual.

I don't think I'd be allowed to call a white southerner a hick without receiving bodily harm in kind, honestly.

And I don't think this thread was written with the intention of facilitating some sort of deep dialogue on ethics and proper social etiquette. I think this is a shitpost.

I don't think I'd be allowed to call a white southerner a hick without receiving bodily harm in kind, honestly.

And I don't think this thread was written with the intention of facilitating some sort of deep dialogue on ethics and proper social etiquette. I think this is a shitpost.
But shitposting is SO MUCH fuuuuun! :)

So is bodily harm! :) Wel, to me aniway.

I just saw this picture awhile ago...and something about whatever @Brovo said and others said. Something, something. Something.

BOK9yf8CQAI8jbt.jpg:medium

Saying Cracker on the news, but calling the other one the N word. There wasn't a large outrage from White people going "Holy fuck, they said Cracker on the news. Hold my beer while I grab the shotgun and go riot." Then again. This is CNN so who would take whatever CNN says seriously unless you believe everything the media tells you?

No. Most people wouldn't give a fuck because it is a damn word. If you let a word (one word) get under your skin...then that is pretty sad? Normally the person trying to get under your skin with "cracker""nigga""nazi"(I don't know if this is just my city, but if you even say you are of German Descent, bam. Automatically a Nazi.)etc. You can piss the person off (usually) that is trying to piss you off by simply saying "That's cool. Okay. Thanks man." etc.

At least I have pissed off more people that way. I get called Jew a lot since my last name is Polish. Which...I won't even get into.

At least I have pissed off more people that way. I get called Jew a lot since my last name is Polish. Which...I won't even get into.
0D4.gif

In all seriousness though: I do actually understand to some degree why people wouldn't want to see profanities related to racism used casually. There's a certain gravitas to the word. So while I don't support censoring it (because censorship never works and is Machiavellian as fuck) I do get why people would want it used with some social grace. Y'know, don't walk up to some random black guy and scream "LOL NIGGER LOL~" and expect nothing to happen as a result.

Mostly trying to skewer this back to a middle ground. It's rare that any one side has all the answers, there's usually a grain of truth to both sides. (Or, at the very least, a grain of good intentions.)

0D4.gif

In all seriousness though: I do actually understand to some degree why people wouldn't want to see profanities related to racism used casually. There's a certain gravitas to the word. So while I don't support censoring it (because censorship never works and is Machiavellian as fuck) I do get why people would want it used with some social grace. Y'know, don't walk up to some random black guy and scream "LOL NIGGER LOL~" and expect nothing to happen as a result.

Mostly trying to skewer this back to a middle ground. It's rare that any one side has all the answers, there's usually a grain of truth to both sides. (Or, at the very least, a grain of good intentions.)
True, I don't think their is anything else to add about that.

• Thank You
Reactions: Brovo
I just saw this picture awhile ago...and something about whatever @Brovo said and others said. Something, something. Something.

BOK9yf8CQAI8jbt.jpg:medium

Saying Cracker on the news, but calling the other one the N word. There wasn't a large outrage from White people going "Holy fuck, they said Cracker on the news. Hold my beer while I grab the shotgun and go riot." Then again. This is CNN so who would take whatever CNN says seriously unless you believe everything the media tells you?

No. Most people wouldn't give a fuck because it is a damn word. If you let a word (one word) get under your skin...then that is pretty sad? Normally the person trying to get under your skin with "cracker""nigga""nazi"(I don't know if this is just my city, but if you even say you are of German Descent, bam. Automatically a Nazi.)etc. You can piss the person off (usually) that is trying to piss you off by simply saying "That's cool. Okay. Thanks man." etc.

I find the word Cracker super offensive.

I want to be called a Potato Chip, damn it.

Although I don't support the censorship of words at all I don't start running around calling everyone a Faggot Nigger Nazi or anything.

*Is now imagining a Black Cross-Dressing Nazi*

I usually try to save the words for times and places where it fits two criteria

1. The general meaning of the word is actually relevant (So no yelling "Faggot! Faggot! Faggot! Like the children on LIVE".
2. It should be pretty obvious that it's in joking/jest. Where the only people who are going to confuse it as serious are those who are going out of their way to be offended.

And if it fit's those two criteria, I will avoid it any ways if both of the following criteria are also met.

1. The usage of the word is being directed at an Individual and not in general (Ex "You Damn Nazi!")
2. That specific Individual has requested for me to stop (So bystanders butting in saying they're offended holds zero relevance).

Out of my group of friends I made back in High School two of them are German, and we all are big fans of Dark Humor

So I've made the tradition of everywhere on their birthday posting this picture on their facebook feed.

The words are relevant because it's a dark humored joke towards the individual, and it works as a pun.
It's pretty obvious I'm joking seeing as we've been friends for years, and we've made these jokes many times already.

However the usage is like earlier stated aimed at them specifically.
But, they also clearly voiced they are ok with it. So I don't have any reason to stop either.

Now granted, with one of these friends this has caused people he knows to have seen this and get offended on his behalf.
But he himself is fine with it (and note I specifically went out of my way to ask/make sure of that), so since those offended people aren't the one's being addressed (not even directly but also un-directly)? They're a non-factor.

Speaking of black stereotypes, I really want fried chicken now. Once I was in Orlando just walking around with my friend I was on vacation with and we decided to go to Popeye's Chicken for dinner.

Other than one other customer, every single other person in that pretty busy restaurant was black. I was irrationally happy I literally walked into a prime example of a stereotype I always thought to be pretty harmless coming to life.
At my college, the dining halls sometimes have special ethnically-themed meals served for "X heritage month" and that sort of thing. (Only a specific day, though -- not the whole month. XD )

And for black heritage month -- they served fried chicken and watermelon.

And it's not like they made a big deal out of it or anything -- in fact, it almost seemed unintentional, but... yeah, it was something. XD

At my college, the dining halls sometimes have special ethnically-themed meals served for "X heritage month" and that sort of thing. (Only a specific day, though -- not the whole month. XD )

And for black heritage month -- they served fried chicken and watermelon.

And it's not like they made a big deal out of it or anything -- in fact, it almost seemed unintentional, but... yeah, it was something. XD

I totally wanted to open a restaurant with dishes based around ethnic stereotypes haha. That's amazing.

I totally wanted to open a restaurant with dishes based around ethnic stereotypes haha. That's amazing.
If you do, call it the trigger café. Memorable and it will get you a metric fuckton of free advertisement.

• Useful
Reactions: Dervish
So white people can't say niggas but black people can. On the internet you're not black or white. You're text. So can you say niggas?
I don't really tolerate racial slurs of any-kind so my answer is no. Outside of that, the word nigger is a racial slur that was often used by white people to emasculate and belittle black people. With that noted, it makes sense why people of that ethnicity would be practically barred from using it since it was mostly used in an offensive manner. Also, on the internet, all the basic fonts of text is white sooo if we were judging by the color of our skin on whether or not we could say the word nigga, then no, none of us could say it.

Also, on the internet, all the basic fonts of text is white sooo if we were judging by the color of our skin on whether or not we could say the word nigga, then no, none of us could say it.
How about now?

Status
Not open for further replies.