Dead Space: Frostbite

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has to be. Necromorphs only survive in the presence of a Marker Signal and without it they turn into a soup-like sludge. So there has to be a Marker for there to be Necromorphs. That said, I don't plan on taking the same approach to Markers that the games did. Yes they are bad, and yes they drive people insane but it isn't the focus of this RP. The games are very "run and gun, destroy markers, be badass" whereas this roleplay will be more about trying to stay alive and getting home. But, that doesn't mean that including something with a Marker is off the table as there's plenty of room for it.
Alright! Time to go slightly insane to destroy it and/or drop part of a planet on it.

Reactions: Lonewolf888978
Alright! Time to go slightly insane to destroy it and/or drop part of a planet on it.
Such is life in Dead Space. I'm polishing some lore up right now that'll explain how the Marker ties into things.

Quick question @Oryx , will we all start with arctic survival RIGs or will we have be able to have other/custom RIG models?

Last edited:
Quick question @Oryx , will we all start with arctic survival RIGs or will we have be able to have other/custom RIG models?
There will be default RIGs if players don't want to pick their own. Otherwise, players can use really any suit as long as it fits their role(P-Sec Staff shouldn't be wearing engineering RIGs, etc). The only RIGs that are off limits are the Witness Suit and the Zealot Suit, as I have plans for characters to use them.

There will be default RIGs if players don't want to pick their own. Otherwise, players can use really any suit as long as it fits their role(P-Sec Staff shouldn't be wearing engineering RIGs, etc). The only RIGs that are off limits are the Witness Suit and the Zealot Suit, as I have plans for characters to use them.
Makes sense. I highly doubt the in-game bonuses will transfer, of course. Otherwise, will weapons from the extended canon (i.e plasma blade, plasma saw, etc), be available for use?

Makes sense. I highly doubt the in-game bonuses will transfer, of course. Otherwise, will weapons from the extended canon (i.e plasma blade, plasma saw, etc), be available for use?
No in-game bonuses apply either since this damage will be determined by a GM, and inventory will be handled a bit differently. I'll have a list of weapons that I'm bringing over as well, which will be added to the OP tomorrow.

No in-game bonuses apply either since this damage will be determined by a GM, and inventory will be handled a bit differently. I'll have a list of weapons that I'm bringing over as well, which will be added to the OP tomorrow.
Sounds good- I'm willing to help as a Co-GM if need be.

Reactions: Oryx
So, now that I've got a plot outline with goals and a decent amount of lore, I'd like to know who's still interested. Assuming that we're still above 4 players, would you like to start work on characters or should we wait on that?

So, now that I've got a plot outline with goals and a decent amount of lore, I'd like to know who's still interested. Assuming that we're still above 4 players, would you like to start work on characters or should we wait on that?

I am definitely still in this! In fact, y'all have got me to add this game to my "must play" list XD I can work on characters whenever, though I'll probably do a little more reading first.

I will add a basic character sheet and basic enemy information to the OP. Feel free to modify the CS as you like. The way I'm handling enemies is that I will only add them to the list after they've been encountered in the roleplay.

Reactions: Joan
Updated the OP to include the first two enemies, as well as a character sheet.

CS will be up tomorrow!
Want us to post them here or?

Sure! I'd like to have a look over all of the player characters so that I can tailor bits of the story to suit them better, to make it more personal.

Reactions: Lonewolf888978
Pic%20-%20Taylor.jpg

:Name:
Virgil "Just Virgil" Casey

:RIG Number:
071-427

:Age:

:Gender:
Male

:Height:
5'9 (175cm)

:Weight:
154lbs (70kg)

:Occupation:
CEC Engineer

:Biography:
Like most people, Virgil entered the workforce at the young age of 16. Though early in his career he was restricted to working in shops or as a secretary, Virgil studied General Engineering throughout high-school and later specialized once he entered university. Virgil attended university on the New Horizons Lunar Colony, which was the colony he grew up in.

Desperate to escape his boring life, Virgil began employment by the CEC as an Engineer. The travel that came with the position was exactly what he was looking for and he was quite happy in his position. Though the CEC didn't really offer anything in terms of moving up in the company, he was content to stay where he was in terms of his career.

By late 2511, many books had been published concerning "alien outbreaks" or "infestation" but most of them were written off as conspiracy theories. Virgil took deep interest in the books. At first he too thought that they were merely crazy theories by crazy anti-government fanatics. Over time he found himself believing in the theories as well, they made sense, and they made him just as paranoid as the ones he'd previously made fun of.

In early 2513, Virgil was contracted to accompany a colony ship as they set up a mining outpost on some planet far from Earth. To him, it was just another job but the fear of the "monstrous aliens" being real continued to take its toll on his mental health. In an act of "truth", as Virgil called it, he vandalized his own RIG. He drew wild symbols and etched markings into it, for a reason that not even he himself could find. While most people would have thought it was weird, it was quite common to mark a RIG in order to make it more personal.

Life on Omicron Station was fairly easy, systems rarely went down and things didn't often break. Most of the time, a storm would merely knock out an antenna and one of many communications systems would go down. When the Necromorph Incident began Virgil quickly locked himself in a closet, grabbing as many tools as he could. As much as he'd hoped his "truth" really was truth, he never realized how absolutely terrifying it was. Until now.

:Other:
As an engineer, and someone who bought into the conspiracy theories, Virgil's knowledge of engineering and the Necromorphs is quite high. But, his paranoia leaves him unable to trust most people. Prior to the outbreak, his mental state wasn't the best and the stressful conditions will stress it even more.

latest

Example character sheet, as well as guy who's gonna be a little important. He's also gonna be crazy.

• Thank You
Reactions: Joan
ab69f75e89bb2b2017edd337334798ac.jpg

:Name:
Jacob "Rookie" Thorne

:RIG Number:
547-658

:Age:

:Gender:
Male

:Height:
5'10 (177cm)

:Weight:
161lbs (70kg)

:Occupation:
P-Sec Officer

:Biography:
Jacob never wanted to be a soldier, he never wanted to carry a weapon, and he never wanted to have to threaten someone else's life. But things change and Jacob found himself in Junior P-Sec training while in his final years of high school. For the most part, Jacob enjoyed the exercises and workouts that came with his training and he enjoyed getting into shape.

Jacob never went to college or studied in a university, it was pointless to him. P-Sec didn't require any degree and the certification that he did need were given by the division. Jacob was less than thrilled by the training that followed the certifications. The weapons training reinforced his disliking for guns and the detainment training often left him sore.

To his surprise, the training seemed to be the worst part. Deployments were usually easy and it wasn't often that Jacob actually had to arrest someone. The biggest downside was the frequent redeployments and transfers that prevented him from getting comfortable anywhere.

When the opportunity arose to work at a son-to-be-established mining colony, Jacob hesitantly accepted. He'd heard stories about how dangerous the colonies were and hoped that Omicron Station would be quiet.

There was a sense of relief when Jacob found out that he'd be working on the USG New-Frontiers rather than on the surface below, and for a year things went well. On the day of the outbreak, Jacob wasn't scheduled for patrol until the evening though it is currently unknown where he is, or how he survived.

:Other:
Though he is a P-Sec Officer, Jacob has poor leadership skills and does not respond well to stressful situations.
latest

Second character is done-ish. He will come into play once players establish contact with the ship orbiting the planet.

Name: Cedric "Sev" Verne
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 165 lbs
Appearance:
206e456fe0cb8bea5af8c9d965f70a88.jpg
RIG Number: 713-707
Bio: Born on Earth, Cedric had a talent for engineering and biological studies from a young age. Pursuing the former while keeping the latter as a hobby, Cedric became licensed as a shuttle pilot in order to pay for his education as an engineer. It was during this time he met his future wife, Sonjia. Hired by the CEC after graduation, he served on the ISG Nakamato before being selected with his wife to participate in the Novus IV settlement project.
Other:
Cedric utilizes an Elite Engineering RIG with a grey paint-job that he modified to be capable of surviving various hostile environments. Otherwise, he has an innate distrust of Unitology and is responsible for assisting in the expanding of the settlement as second-in-command of the settlement's engineers.
latest

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Antiheld
Status
Not open for further replies.