3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy | Sci-Fi | Action | Adventure
Howdy! For a while, I've been pondering the idea of a Dead Space RP and how well it would fare here on Iwaku. So, I've decided to post an interest check so that I may find out.

In order to get around the established lore of the final game, I've decided to place this RP before the events of Dead Space 3, in a time when humanity is still very much okay with sending starships out to establish mining colonies even though the Necromorph outbreak is still very much a threat. Since this IS Dead Space, this RP would be very survival oriented, where characters who make poor decisions are punished and those who think about their actions are spared. The ultimate goal of the RP would be to establish contact with Earth and find a way home, but players will have to team up in order to get things working well enough to send a message home. I can add some plot and goals if people express interest, just let me know. I'm also open to suggestions, so feel free to give input.

While this roleplay is NOT rated 18+, I feel inclined to point out that violence and gore are quite common in Dead Space and as such will likely appear in this roleplay.
3471720-8949916940-emans.jpg

High over Novus IV, a frozen planet only recently claimed by humanity, a massive starship drifts silently through space. The USG New-Frontiers orbits the frozen planet with hopes of bringing rare metals home to Earth, it had been a year since the ship first arrived with the purpose of establishing a colony on the surface of Novus IV. Within the metal behemoth, people can be seen scrambling about, each with a purpose or task which was given to them by a superior. Control rooms and communications stations were abuzz with chatter that seemed panicked and worried. It had been 32 hours since the last communication was received from the glacial surface and the crew had to prepare for the worst. P-Sec squads were gearing up for a possible insurgency while the engineering crews were preparing for 'mass system failure' and the work-hours they'd have to pull to get everything running again. Inside the bridge, the scramble controlled and quiet as each station worked diligently to contact the mining colony on the planet below.

The colony, named Omicron Station, was tasked with mining the highly metallic planet and then shipping them back to Earth. Once it was time for a shipment to be made or supplied were needed, the USG New-Frontiers would send a transmission to Earth. When a ship left the surface most personnel assumed that it was merely a messenger or colonist reporting that comms systems had failed and the New-Frontiers prepared to rendezvous with the craft. Two hours later, the entire ship went dark. Few survived the initial Necromorph attack and their corpses became the monsters that stalked the hallways. Diagnostics of the ship report multiple decompressions, failing systems, and power loss making it clear that there's little chance of going home without help. Survivors must band together and find a way home, lest they become monsters themselves.

20 Years prior to the CEC establishing Omicron Station, EarthGov used the frozen planet as a black-site to conduct research on the Markers. A facility by the name of Site-19 was established and experiments began under the guise of "hostile environment" research. A Red Marker was brought to the site shortly after it was established, as expected tensions were high as EarthGov waited for results and hoped that the Novus IV didn't follow the paths of the previous colonies. Within two months people began experiencing symptoms of the Marker's interference. Insomnia, paranoia, and fits of rage were experienced by all who had contact with the Marker; the Necromorphs wiped out everyone in only a few days. EarthGov locked down the facility via remote access and played the disaster off as a storm destroying vital systems, coverups like this were quite common for EarthGov.

When the CEC proposed a mining colony on Novus IV, EarthGov jumped at the chance to get people on the planet once more. Scientists were sent on the USG New-Frontiers and the crew was told that they were there to analyze weather patterns and ensure the safety of the colony. Another lie. Their true purpose was to determine the fate of Site-19 and recover any data that was still intact.

Within the chaos of the Necromorph outbreak on Novus IV few EarthGov personnel survived but those that did are still dedicated to reaching Site-19 and then finding a way back to Earth.

--=-- Plot Breakdown --=--
Something brought our characters to Novus IV, whether it was a new mining job, a security contract, or secret operation by a shady government. The USG New-Frontiers left Earth carrying some 750 passengers, you were one of them. Employed by Concordance Extraction Corporation, they were sent to Novus IV with the purpose of setting up a mining colony with the promise of high pay. Things went smoothly for the first year with minimal breakdowns and crises. 371 after the colony was established, an outbreak of an infectious species known as Necromorphs wiped out nearly everyone and the chaos left the structures heavily damaged if not inoperable. Knowledge of the Necromorphs is scarce as EarthGov had done everything they could to keep their existence hidden and now our survivors find themselves battling an unknown, relentless enemy that will stop at nothing to consume all life on Novus. While getting home isn't impossible there will be many challenges the characters face on the way. The first challenge will be locating or contacting the other survivors without falling prey to the Necromorphs.

Within Dead Space: Frostbite, characters will be given tasks which then must be carried out to ensure their survival. The condition of Omicron Station is very poor, the weather is unpredictable, there are Necromorphs around every bend, there is currently no known way off of the surface. Characters must work to get off of the colony and onto the USG New-Frontiers which has its own set of problems. The USG New-Frontiers has suffered immense damage during the outbreak. Multiple life support systems have gone offline, many sections are depressurized, power systems have failed, and the engines aren't responding.

Using tools as weapons it seems that the Necromorphs can be held off, and a few of the Engineers are alive! Unfortunately, the Necromorphs want nothing more than to kill everyone, so fixing things might prove to be challenging. But I'm sure everything will be fine, provided our characters are smart enough to make the right decisions. Good luck out there!

--=-- Occupations --=--
  • The Concordance Extraction Corporation, also referred to as CEC, is a public trading company at the forefront of the deep space mining industry. They are the largest solar mining and extraction company in the Earth colonies and the fifth largest company in terms of market capital. The CEC is responsible for the creation of the giant Planet Cracker-class starships. There are many positions within the CEC ranging from Miner to Engineer to Pilot.
  • Planetside Security functions much like a twenty-first-century police force culture, enforcing ordinances, quelling riots, and generally 'keeping the peace'. P-Sec's officers are highly trained and given access to very powerful armaments, some officers are even recruited directly into high ranking positions of the EarthGov military.
  • The Earth Government Colonial Alliance, known also as Earth Government and EarthGov, is the executive branch of Earth and its colonies, responsible for administrating the territories that officially fall under its control. EarthGov often oversees illegal research and works diligently to cover up any mishaps related to it. Many members of EarthGov are under-cover, often lying about their jobs in order to conceal their true purpose.

--=-- Resource Integration Gear --=--
latest

Resource Integration Gear, or RIG for short, is an integrated health management and strength augmentation system that assists users in previously impossible and dangerous environments. RIGs come equipped with a health management system designed to monitor a wearer's well being, holographic displays for real-time updates, and communications systems to allow wearers to securely communicate via voice or text networks. RIGs also come equipped with oxygen reserves for operations within a vacuum, zero-grav maneuvering thrusters, and kinesis modules for moving heavy objects.

--=-- Necromorphs --=--
latest

"Take their legs out, and they'll drag themselves toward you. Shoot off an arm, and they'll use their other arm to rip into you. Nope, the only real way to take these creatures out is to completely rip them apart."

Necromorphs are the main enemies in Dead Space. They are relentless, disgusting, horrible creatures that want nothing more than to rip you apart. The worst part is that they're pretty hard to kill too. Fight one at a time and you'll be okay, fight three at a time and you might make it out, fight ten at a time and you're dead. Necromorphs are crafty and will almost always find a way to get around.
  • latest

The Slasher is created from a single human corpse and is one of the more common Necromorphs encountered in a typical outbreak. The Slasher is named for its specialized arms, which sport sharp blade-like protrusions of bone. These arms are sometimes created by altering the host's original arms, while in others the slashing arms are entirely new appendages sprouting from the shoulder blades. These blades are the Slashers' main weapon, but they are also used as means of stabilizing the creatures, making it easier to stand in place. The blades combined with the intensified power of the Slasher can even cut one's hand off.
  • latest

Leapers appear to be made from single human corpses, with the host body's modifications serving to give the Necromorph vastly increased mobility. Sporting razor-sharp fangs, along with a long scythe-tipped tail made from the victim's intestines and legs, they are extremely deadly foes. The musculature of the upper arm becomes more developed, and the fingers grow bladed claws for climbing and slashing with the hands becoming dislocated along with the thumbs moved to the back to create animal-like paws

--=--Character Sheet --=--
Name: (Character Name and/or Nickname)
Height: (How tall?)
Weight: (How heavy?)
Appearance: (Pictures are fine, a description is fine, both are fine)
RIG Number: (Any 6 digit number hyphenated in the middle e.g. 000-000)
Occupation: (CEC Engineer? CEC Miner? P-Sec Security Officer? EarthGov Agent?)
Bio: (Any backstory or personality elements about your character would go here.)
Other: (Anything else? Would you like to use a different RIG than the default.)

Last edited:
I might be interested.

Reactions: Oryx
I might be interested.
Awesome! I've got some base plotlines written out which I can try to clean up and post by the end of the day

I'm rather interested!

I'm interested, but I haven't played the games myself so I would have to do a ton of research and possibly watch some YouTube videos. After a quick Google search, I have to say that this seems exactly like my cup of tea. ^.^

I just have a couple quick questions, though.
1) I noticed when I did my Google search that the games are 18+ rated. Does that extend to the players as well?
2) How much knowledge of the games would be needed and how much would you be using canon characters and whatnot?

I'm interested, but I haven't played the games myself so I would have to do a ton of research and possibly watch some YouTube videos. After a quick Google search, I have to say that this seems exactly like my cup of tea. ^.^

I just have a couple quick questions, though.
1) I noticed when I did my Google search that the games are 18+ rated. Does that extend to the players as well?
2) How much knowledge of the games would be needed and how much would you be using canon characters and whatnot?
Howdy! Thanks for taking interest in my idea, I'd be happy to answer your questions.

1) Though the games are rated 18+ I feel that this roleplay will not be. I have no interest in including any sexual content as it doesn't really fit in the Dead Space universe. The games are rated 18+ due to the violence and gore they portray, which is understandable, but as such this roleplay will not be restricted to adults. That was a very long way to say "No" haha.

2) My plan is to make this RP almost completely OC but set in the established universe of Dead Space(if that makes sense). I won't be bringing any canon characters over, though there may be references to a few events that have taken place in the games. I plan to include the base amount of information needed to participate in the main post.

• Love
Reactions: Joan
Howdy! Thanks for taking interest in my idea, I'd be happy to answer your questions.

1) Though the games are rated 18+ I feel that this roleplay will not be. I have no interest in including any sexual content as it doesn't really fit in the Dead Space universe. The games are rated 18+ due to the violence and gore they portray, which is understandable, but as such this roleplay will not be restricted to adults. That was a very long way to say "No" haha.

2) My plan is to make this RP almost completely OC but set in the established universe of Dead Space(if that makes sense). I won't be bringing any canon characters over, though there may be references to a few events that have taken place in the games. I plan to include the base amount of information needed to participate in the main post.

Amazing! In that case, count me in! Now to go do extensive research after I reply to another roleplay...XD

Amazing! In that case, count me in! Now to go do extensive research after I reply to another roleplay...XD
As a side note, while I plan on including as much information as I can, I suggest reading up on dead space weapons, as well as the enemies as there are quite a few. Of course, I don't plan on using all of them since many are unique to certain situations. But, I still recommend reading on the Dead Space Wikia

• Thank You
Placing my interest at the behest of @Joan

I shall have to read up as well, though! :D

• Love
Reactions: Antiheld and Joan
Added some info and expanded on the plot idea, input and suggestions always appreciated. Please let me know if you find any spelling issues or BBCode errors(For some reason my BBCode often breaks when I hit the save button). If anyone wants to add any ideas for plots or side plots let me know!

Ooh, a security person is an option. -cracks knuckles and grins- Excellent,
I love playing security/military/police/similar types.

I want to work more on getting a solid outline for the direction of this RP, as well as getting around 4-6 players interested. I'll flesh out the post over the next two days, and if anyone would like to add anything feel free to do so!

I want to work more on getting a solid outline for the direction of this RP, as well as getting around 4-6 players interested. I'll flesh out the post over the next two days, and if anyone would like to add anything feel free to do so!

If you need help with anything, just let me know!

@Oryx Quick questions before I delve into research: Are you planning on any sort of character limit? What are the posting speed guidelines going to look like?

@Oryx Quick questions before I delve into research: Are you planning on any sort of character limit? What are the posting speed guidelines going to look like?
For posting speed, I'd like to shoot for one post per day, but more realistically I'd say a few posts per week. It allows me to create longer replies and story progressions, which brings me to my next point.

For posting length, I can work with anything over two paragraphs. Anything less than that leaves me struggling to create long replies as it doesn't give me much to work off of. So there'd be a two paragraph minimum, with no limit on how long it can be. I usually write between three and five paragraphs, but I can also adapt to those I'm writing with.

Text was bold for no reason really. :P

• Thank You
For posting speed, I'd like to shoot for one post per day, but more realistically I'd say a few posts per week. It allows me to create longer replies and story progressions, which brings me to my next point.

For posting length, I can work with anything over two paragraphs. Anything less than that leaves me struggling to create long replies as it doesn't give me much to work off of. So there'd be a two paragraph minimum, with no limit on how long it can be. I usually write between three and five paragraphs, but I can also adapt to those I'm writing with.

Text was bold for no reason really. :P

Thanks! When I said character limit, I meant as in characters we play, though. ^^'

Thanks! When I said character limit, I meant as in characters we play, though. ^^'
I totally missed that part, my apologies! I don't really have any limits on how many characters one can have as long as they can handle having those characters. I will likely be playing two main characters, as well as any NPCs that make their way into the scene.

• Thank You
Any Markers involved with this scenario?

Any Markers involved with this scenario?
There has to be. Necromorphs only survive in the presence of a Marker Signal and without it they turn into a soup-like sludge. So there has to be a Marker for there to be Necromorphs. That said, I don't plan on taking the same approach to Markers that the games did. Yes they are bad, and yes they drive people insane but it isn't the focus of this RP. The games are very "run and gun, destroy markers, be badass" whereas this roleplay will be more about trying to stay alive and getting home. But, that doesn't mean that including something with a Marker is off the table as there's plenty of room for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.