Clockwork - The Visual Novel Role-play

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the removal of angels, we're missing anything with wings, so maybe Tengu heart? They're pretty well known and they'd make a hilarious gimmick race.

250px-%E5%A4%A9%E7%8B%97%E3%81%AE%E9%9D%A2%E9%89%84%E8%BC%AA%E6%B8%A9%E6%B3%89PB060289.jpg

Interacting with someone that looked like this would be interesting at least.

Also, Oni perhaps, as a substitute for demons? They share some similar traits just like Tengu share wings with angels. Oni have claws, horns and are often translated as "demon" too.

Oni are still demons though, but just the eastern take on them. I don't mind tengus though because I don't think they are the equivalent of angels???

I imagine those faces are just masks that tengu wear *coughs*

What kind of classes would be appropriate to have ? Hmm...
Tell me more about Tengus?

Hm, I don't think you can really compare Eastern and Western mythology very well. I used to think that Oni and western demons were pretty much the same thing, but after a combination of looking up yokai and talking to a Japanese guy, it's obvious how many differences they have. Demons are typically the forces of hell and what not, a kind of organised force intent on destroying stuff. Oni are more individual entities that work on their own will and have no particular master. Oni I guess if you had to put a set definition on them would be anthropomorphic misfortune. Abilities-wise, Oni are a lot weaker than demons. Demons have fire magic and curses and stuff. Oni just have a shit ton of strength and constitution.

As for classes... I don't know if classes should actually be used. Once you introduce classes on top of races it begins to feel more like an RPG than a VN. Also, a lot of these species wouldn't really lend themselves to a class system. Magus for example obviously are only ever going to be mages, while orcs are clearly a tanky type. I think "classes" should just be incorporated in with the races, and if you choose an orc you accept you're a tank, you play a magus you accept you're a mage...

Reactions: Esmeray
Tengu are these kinda mischievous and mean creatures that act sort of like Lucifer does in the Bible. They try to mislead people. They'll pick up monks in their talons and drop them off cliffs, rob temples, curse worshipers... they're kinda dicks. They're said nowadays to be vengeful spirits of angry or heretical priests. This expression kinda sums them up, really. In Japan, if someone's being conceited, they're described as "X ga tengu ni naru", which means "X is becoming a Tengu".

I dunno, I'm just throwing some ideas out here. I don't think any of them are perfect fits, but I feel a VN should have more than a couple of Japanese-inspired races, if only to engage the audience a bit.

Okay, I actually prefer the classes being already there with the species' heart. But there will be cogs for skills, money, and assembling things IC. ^.^

I dunno, I'm just throwing some ideas out here. I don't think any of them are perfect fits, but I feel a VN should have more than a couple of Japanese-inspired races, if only to engage the audience a bit.

Alright then I throwing in tengus and on I shouldn't be a problem then. They seem to be similar to orcs though....is there differences between orcs and oni??

Don't forget about the plant people though!! We can name them Picus xD

1. Human Heart
  2. Vampire Heart
  3. Werewolf Heart
  4. Automaton Heart
  5. Kitsune Heart
  6. Elf Heart
  7. Tengu Heart
  8. Orc Heart
  9. Dwarf Heart
  10. Kemonomimi Heart
  11. Elemental Heart
  12. Magus Heart
  13. Dryad Heart
  14. Dragonoid Heart
  15. Oni Heart
Here is the updated list

The plant people are subbed under elementals, dear!

• Thank You
What's an automaton??? Is that like living folks and objects? Cyborgs? Robots?

Reactions: Absyinthe_Artica
I'm going to be making extra information threads that explains all the attributes/classes of each species as well as various other information I think you the players should know about Clockwork.
Yes, they are steam engine robots with a clockwork mechanism as their heart.

• Thank You
DIBS ON AUTOMATON.

• Love
Reactions: Absyinthe_Artica
I thought about Oni and Orcs, and in the end I decided that orcs would probably be more tough while Oni would have more offensive power.

How about, as a halfway between races and classes, everyone uses the same class? This class can technically equip anything. Every time you level, you get a certain number of Attribute points that can be invested into various attributes like HP, Attack, Magic Attack, Magic Defense, Defense, Speed... Races vary in starting attributes, so an Orc might have higher initial Defense than a Magus. You also get a certain number of Mastery points, which can be invested in weapons or armour. When you reach a certain number of mastery levels in something, you automatically get a new skill for it. Also, both points can be obtained through sources other than levelling, such as character development events.

My Kitsune goes from level 1 to level 2. I get 10 Attribute points and 2 Mastery points. My Kitsune starts with 10 HP, 3 Attack, 5 Magic Attack, 3 Defense, 4 Magic Defense and 5 Speed. (total 20 for non-HP maybe, plus each 1 attribute point is 2 points HP?) I assign my attributes as follows, and since I want the character to be a gimmicky Glass Cannon, I do this: (green has been changed)

10 HP --> 10 HP
3 ATK --> 3 ATK
5 MATK --> 13 MATK
3 DEF --> 3 DEF
4 MDEF --> 4 MDEF
5 SPD --> 7 SPD

I also put my 2 mastery points into my racial ability Foxfire, and I gain a new skill in that "weapon" tree - Fireball.

I could also just as easily go for a tanky build though.

10 HP --> 16 HP (+3 points cos 1 = 2)
3 ATK --> 3 ATK
5 MATK --> 5 MATK
3 DEF --> 7 DEF
4 MDEF --> 7 MDEF

5 SPD --> 5 SPD

I put 1 mastery point into Heavy Armour, but don't gain another skill cos the skill for that happens to be at mastery 3. I put 1 in Shields, and gain Shield Bash, cos that happens to be at Mastery 2.

I like where you are going but keep in mind I want to use cogs to represent points/currency/etc.

I was thinking these might run separate to cogs, but another idea could be: The Clockmaker made the bodies right? So, what if, you can bring it cogs and it'll upgrade your body if you're a high enough level to accept the changes?

Yes that's what I was thinking!!

What about quests? How many mini quests will we have off of the main quest line of finding out how you died and why you got sent here?

WHERE DID THESE NUMBERS COME FROM?!

What about quests? How many mini quests will we have off of the main quest line of finding out how you died and why you got sent here?
Has to be at least 4, one of which is tangentially related to the main quest (in that particular area, at least).

Wait are you sure you're able to make all this in Tyranno Builder? This sounds much more like an RPG to me... It could be done I suppose with a shit ton of numbers, but I don't know if Tyranno Builder supports mathemagics.

I reckon I'd be able to create this as an RPG with RPG Maker, but it'd be a pretty hefty project :D

Status
Not open for further replies.