Change of Heart

Status
Not open for further replies.
He listened to her without comment and nodded slowly at the praise - and he'd be happier about that later - but he watched her. She was flustered, more-so than he'd ever seen her and rather than amuse Nik, it worried him slightly and made him wonder. He didn't ask, though. Lyra had wanted him to speak his mind, but in this case, he was sure she would be more grateful if he didn't and so he let her start to depart, but before she left entirely, he called out to her.

"Lyra." When she stopped and whether she turned or not, he spoke once more, tone even and soft, and nothing more. "It's all right. I will see you at dinner."

The halfbreed didn't expect a response and he didn't wait for one either as he turned and started back for the house via a slightly different route than she was taking. In all truthfulness, he needed a nap. Just another thing to cross off as human blood over Sidhe blood, he grumbled inwardly as he reached his destination and went into the room designated for him. It was simple with the same sunken bed design that Lyra had, but he didn't mind, actually found it far more comforting than he had ever found a bed - guess that had something to do with him sleeping under things all the time as a child - and after taking off his shirt, Nik curled into it.

He never slept spread out, always curled and instead of using the middle of the bed, he stuck to the sides or the corner, making sure something was always at his back. He was relatively relaxed now, though, and even as he hated to, the halfbreed had to admit that just the task of concentrating like that had exhausted him. He slipped into sleep rather easily despite the fact that he shouldn't have needed to for at least another day and silently prayed he wouldn't dream as his consciousness succumbed to darkness.

It really wasn't to be as his mind replayed the kiss, his first, over and over in his sleep. So it was good dreaming for a while and he relaxed into it, not sure why he trusted the feeling her touch and lips and voice brought even in a dream-state, but willing to accept the peace that enveloped him nevertheless.

And then it too soon flipped to customary nightmares, as it always did, and that had him whimpering softly and curling tighter in an attempt to escape whatever tormented him, all peace gone from his tense and shaking body. When Nik did wake, whether by force or on his own, he would do so with little more than a gasp, having trained himself to stop screaming long ago.

Giving him a civil tip if her chin as he beckoned her name saying nothing more than an agreement to see her at the dinner table, she continued on her way. This wasn't her first kiss, not even close. She was a little more experienced with silly things like that but all the same it always managed to fluster her. It was peculiar to be so wrapped up in her thoughts about something so trivial and yet it happened.

Making her way back towards the market square looking for a fresh buy and possibly an idea for a meal, a few words exchanged here and there among the patrons; many curious to be indulged on her thoughts of the prince Sidhe. He really had become talk of the town. Unlike his upper class snot nosed kin, Nik left a pleased impression on many, and many more took to praising his behavior as well. Some weren't fond of course, muttering low colored insults and stating that it was a crime to have one if there own with one of there's. They wouldn't solve all the problems nor could they please everyone, Lyra let it roll down her back. What was, was what it was.

Returning home, the door was unclatched making it apparent when she entered that the sidhe had retired to the secondary room. She had done a favor by removing her armor and swords from there to give him the desired space, trying to make it at least a bit hospitable.

Packaged rump of meat she put down into the cold floor, sharp ears constantly listening for those subtle noises that went unnoticed by others, she paused.

Looking around slowly rising casting her wondering look about and around, she became puzzled. "Whimpering?" rather than following ones nose, she listened in various places trying to figure out the soft noise growing far more curious each time she hadn't tracked it down.

Barefoot across the cool floor and bingo! She located the soft sounds. Eyes deep and wide as the ocean blue plucked against the door. "Nik?" was he crying or was it something else? Teeth found her bottom lip drawing it through deciding she'd explained her actions later, the tumblers clicked softly as she peered into the dark room. At first she wasn't even sure he was there with how open the bed was, but sure enough some quiet noises and a odd look thrown at the man lying curled up close to the sides, and there he was.

Keeping the door a little gasp of open space, Lyra sights softened drastically. It wad a fairly poor sight to see but it wasn't an uncommon one. Over the two weeks, she began to form ideas about the man, and something deeper rooted to him that as much as he might think, didn't go by completely unnoticed.

Stepping lightly, she knelt on the edge of the bed closest lacing clever fingers to a shoulder jostling the sidhe gently giving a call of his name. It took more than a few tries before his pale gaze popped open with a gasp, thorough concern echoed in waves upon her fair freckled complexion. "Just a dream," a serene softness tested comfortably in her voice nearing the point if velvet smooth, Lyra tipped her head letting her fingers move back cupping a palm to the side of his cheek. "Are you alright?" every word came out in truthful worry for the man, letting him take his time getting his bearings.

He didn't remember where he was at first and the touch to his face, no matter how gentle and comforting, had him flinching initially before Lyra's voice actually registered this time and Nik stilled. For a moment, and just a moment, the raw fear he actually felt in that moment flashed through his eyes, across his face, but it was gone sooner than he could blink and the white-haired male nodded. It was a lie unspoken as the tremors that worked their way through his body gave complete testament to how not all right he was, but could Lyra actually say that if the situation had been reversed she'd say she was anything less than fine?

The nightmare that was not entirely a dream, but more of a memory, kept flashing through his head, not entirely ready to let him go and Nik fought it back with less success than he was used to. He couldn't for the life of him pinpoint why that was.

He continued to watch Lyra, though, gaze shadowed and she'd find that if she tried to move away, his hand would come up to grasp her wrist in light grip. His mind was wary, scared even of opening up, but his body knew someone it could trust when they came around and it wanted her to stay. Nik, however, looked somewhat startled by his own action. He looked away then and made himself let her go, mumbling an apology.

Pale blue eyes closed for a moment, trying to regain some actual composer even as he continued to shake. Nik actually wasn't sure why he couldn't stop...or at least he wasn't sure until he felt a familiar sensation work at his nose and he sneezed. He shivered then, feeling far colder than he knew he should and he didn't note it, but his skin was growing warmer, too. Stars, of all the times he could have gotten sick! Sidhe didn't get sick!

At least he knew now why it was hard to make himself think straight and why he was so tired.

Last edited:
She knew dreams could be an eternal terror, trembling mind and numbing body terror but how visibly shaken he was, she had a brief second guess. Pale eyes met hers stride for stride almost making her wonder if he was truly awake, she dud begin to pull back. At least she tried finding the snapping grip in a light flick around her wrist, evident surprise was kit his alone.

Wasn't she the viper? The one that he had Saud had quite the venomous bite? Why the suddenly if and it momentary change. Feeling him retract mumbling what she could tell was an apology, eyes shut.

Swallowing a little harder than she liked, eyes were studying him extensively. Perhaps it was a little unjust or uncalled for, hands returned to cup around either side of his face after the sneeze of course. Suspicion rose to her thoughts as the man trembled while retaining a warmth pointing at something she knew didn't happen to the sidhe race.

A palm moved brushing back the white tendrils if hair hanging in a tussle, feeling his brow. "Unusual for a sidhe to be getting sick but not surprising. You've been on the surface for a while now, your body is not used to the prolonge change." composure took over her features marking them gently with concern but she did not push anything from him. Everyone had secrets and they were entitled to keep them.

"Too much work out in the city and not enough rest." Lyra nodded curtly, "Seems like a fever perhaps, some more rest and fluids will help. Herbal white hibiscus tea should ease your trembling." she went to stand not sure if he was all that aware or not.

She was being nice. Gentle. Worried. And Nik didn't quite know how to handle it as his body...it trusted the contact in a way his mind didn't, couldn't. Usually it was the other way around, but he didn't quite have the mental power to figure out why that was, why it was different this time. Or maybe it wasn't his body, but something else that trusted Lyra? He didn't know, couldn't think straight and so Nik didn't attempt to stop any physical reaction he gave to whatever she was doing. When she touched his face, he leaned into her instinctively and when she spoke, his eyes opened to attempt to focus.

Pale blue was clouded, though, glazed over with the beginning of fever and there was only a small part of him that registered her wonderful excuse for his condition. It almost made him smile, lips twitching upward, but another sneeze turned his expression into a grimace as he groaned and curled tighter, the simple action causing his entire body to ache. Sicknesses came upon him only occasionally - maybe twice a year - but when they did, they came with a vengeance and the combination of the three species that he was didn't seem to tolerate it all that well. Understandably, Nik hated it and hated being sick.

He hardly noted when Lyra made to leave this time, his eyes heavy and slipping closed as the acute trembling eased into sporadic shivering instead as he was pulled into sleep once more. Even unconscious he stayed tightly curled and tense, even more defensive now than he had been before.

---

Outside, the towering black werewolf looked down to the smaller gray one at his side, both of them able to sense the feeling of 'wrongness' around the adopted member of their pack. The smaller gray was female and she looked back at the house, growling softly. "I still don't think she'll let us in. She'll see it as an insult." she grumbled out, not all too fond of Lyra, which wasn't really fair considering they hadn't met.

Marsin flicked his ears back and sighed, shaking his head. "I do not believe her to be so callous as that, Nyaisah. Nik has told us he claims her as a friend and therefore she is a friend."

"I think him too lenient."

The larger werewolf barked a half-laugh. "You no that not to be true! He hates far more passionately than he forgives. No, I am willing to give this she-elf a chance as long as she gives Nik one and she has. We will respect his choice to befriend her."

Nyaisah crossed her arms, not entirely convinced. "That doesn't mean she's going to let us in. He's only going to get worse before he gets better. What's she going to do when he starts screaming and tries to bolt? Or if his power flares?"

Marsin sighed, a growl in his throat. "All the more reason to convince her that we're actually needed....without insulting her honor."

The smaller werewolf snorted as they made their way toward the door, giving it a firm knock. "We're going to need some luck."

Waiting until she was certain he was back into a state if slumber before fully leaving allowing the door to keep half open, just in case. As much as there odd ball forced relationship was, she wasn't ignorant to not helping in anyway she could.

Granted the idea the make was sick was enough to raise questions, though her thoughts on the matter were interrupted with a hard knocking. If someone was knocking she knew it wasn't someone who was welcomed in her house previously.

Stalling her idea to warm the ceramic kettle, the door came open as she leaned against the side. "and why am I not surprised." first thing that came out of her lips. Whatever bond they had that was there deal. A hand came up, before side stepping back leaving it open for the pair. She was not getting involved if this was the case.

Once they entered, Lyra left without a word. Whether they spoke to her or not. Leaving her home, she couldnt deny that she felt as if thus was another way at reminding her that she was greatly inadequate. But that was her private thoughts.

Not certain overly where she was going, it didn't surprise her either to find herself at a sizable house, his own ears lifting in question. Perching her arms against the smooth stone of the large oversized flower pots, the man took the towel from laying across the fence wiping his face. "Lyra I'm surprised to see you here of all places." ghostly eyes were smiling even if he wasn't.

She shrugged, "Mind if I stay the night Zen?" his brow damn near popped off with how high it rose. Arms lifted to hug around herself, "My place is a little crowded."

"Certainly, it's been ages since I've adored your company."

To say the werewolves were startled by her easy acceptance was an understatement and they both watched a bit puzzled and wary as she left. Nyaisah didn't say a word, starting back for the room her heart-brother was in, but Marsin spoke after Lyra, very simply words, but genuine ones. "Thank you." It was all that needed to be said in his opinion and the larger werewolf moved back to the room Nyaisah had already entered, wrinkling his nose at the scent of sickness and sighing at the sight of his ward.

"Ei, Cub, what have you caught this time?"

"He's feverish." Nyaisah was already beside the halfbreed, feeling his forehead and Marsin nodded. "I'm not surprised. The elf was making something, see if it will help." The female nodded and rose again, tail swishing as she left the room and Marsin came to take her place beside Nik, dragging a blanket over him as the halfbreed continued to shiver. The werewolf ran clawed fingers through the white hair and Nik moaned, curling away until Marsin shushed him with practice. "Easy, Cub. You're safe."

"Well, she's smart at least." Nyaisah came back empty-handed, but at Marsin's questioning look she elaborated. "White hibiscus. It will help with the trembling. It's steeping." She came to curl on the opposite side of Nik's body, her form shifting rather tranquilly into her wolf form and she looked to Marsin. "How long will he be like this?" The older wolf's ears flicked, thoughtful as her voice came into his head and he sighed. "This calm? Probably an hour or two, if we're lucky. How long will he be sick? That's anyone's guess."

Nyaisah whined, resting her head on Nik's hip and the two stayed in silence for the next hour and a half, able to get some of the tea into him while he was still receptive to it. That state didn't last long as the mental barriers his mind had been struggling to keep up, even in sleep and fever, finally started to crack. He started to whimper again, beginning to thrash as his fever spiked. The wolves handled it calmly, keeping the halfbreed securely between them, reassuring him when they could, but they weren't surprised when he escalated. As the hours passed, they had to hold him down as he tried to leave, now hallucinating as memories marched across his eyes.

"Móðir... Móðir! Hvar ert þú? Hvers vegna fórstu frá mér?!" Mother... Mother! Where are you? Why did you leave me?! Nyaisah winced, having only known Nik for three years, but knowing enough to have some understanding of why he would call out for the person that he did in his native tongue. Still, she kept composer even as she kept her hand secure about his wrist, the other one carding through sweat drenched hair. "Shh, Niklo, I'm here. I didn't leave. All is well." Yes, it was somewhat cruel to pretend to be his mother, but it calmed the male momentarily as his eyes opened, glazed and unfocused, but looking at her, seeing something else entirely. "Ég er því miður... Ég ætlaði ekki að. Fyrirgefðu..." I am sorry... I didn't meant to. I'm sorry...

They didn't get a chance to make out what he could be apologizing for before the halfbreed started to writhe again, fighting against their hold as terror anew washed over him, dilating his eyes and making him all that harder to contain as blue energy sparked under his skin, just barely held back by some lucid part of his mind still intact. "Láttu mig í friði! Leyfðu mér að fara!" Leave me alone! Let me go! The words were screamed in anger and hate and then the male seemed to collapse, shuddering and the werewolves knew the worst was over when he finally started to cry, great wrenching sobs he would never let out while truly aware pulling from his chest.

"Leyfðu mér að fara. Vinsamlegast..." Let me go. Please...

Marsin looked almost relieved and he looked at Nyaisah who let the halfbreed go so the black werewolf could gather Nik close. "Shh, Cub. It's all right now. It's over. It's all right." He kept the soothing words constant until the white-haired male slipped back into sleep, a true one, and Nyaisah shook her head, looking both angry and saddened. "He is just a child." she whispered and Marsin's rebuttal was just as quiet. "No, not a child. He has not been a child for a long time."

"How could they do this to him?" They both knew she was not talking about the illness and Marsin didn't answer. He couldn't, because he had asked himself that many times over and never came up with any answer that made logical sense. It was safe for the pack to assume that Sidhe, in this area, were not logical or fair at all, actually very cruel and that was enough for the wolves.

Draping the blanket around her shoulders, they sat out on the high rise of the second level porch. His eyes trained to her as if wanting to ask but didn't knowing better than too. "The great harvest is coming." he took a sip of his water, "The councillors want it to continue while those on the front lines fight."

"I heard," her hand clenched, "To keep little ones happy and hope that our soldiers keep fighting for what is right. Simply a tactic to bring hope to those who cannot fight."

He agreed. Sighed and returned those curious eyes to her. "Have you been summoned?"

A pause. "Aye,"

"When?"

Lyra looked to her right, "Tomorrow evening I will start out. A new squad of recruits under my lead." a cup to her lips and she smiled, "The councillors had requested I stave from battle to remain in sight with the sidhe husband." Zen wrinkled his nose in utter distaste. "I refused their choice."

"Good." thick arms crossed over his chest, "We cannot afford to lose one of our War Generals." her title and one not many knew of. "It is a just choice Lyra."

Again she smiled though it was certainly less enthusiastic, "Aye, my call is in the fields. I stand proud there tall and wise with my blade."

"And what if the safety of your husband?" he pronounced the name as if he was gargling gravel.

"He is to remain in town for safety, the councillors will not ask or risk him. Bad for political status you know." Lyra shrugged, "It's for the best." she took a drink under Zen's gaze, 'Not like it matters anyways if I'm gone.' she finished her sentence privately to herself.

Last edited:
Nik didn't know the time when he woke. He only knew that it was dark and that he was restless. Two wolves - in wolf form - were curled up around him, something that was normal when he was sick, but the halfbreed's mind went to the person who had been with him earlier in the day. He rose from the warm cocoon provided and despite feeling shaky, managed to get away from both canines without waking them. He never really remembered what he did while he was feverish, but they always seemed exhausted afterward and he felt bad about that. He'd let them sleep and risk the lecture later.

The male padded out of the bedroom, his pale eyes taking in the emptiness of the rest of the house even as his ears had already registered it. Where was Lyra? Frowning, and absentmindedly steadying himself as his body wanted to falter at the doorway, he went outside. The cool wind seemed a bit colder than he knew it was, but Nik wasn't concerned over it and when his searching eyes didn't find what he sought, the halfbreed sighed.

Damn, he hoped the wolves hadn't driven her off.

Bringing his hand back through his hair, Nik headed for the stables and a few moments later emerged again, both Noble and Heaven following him out into the field docilely. He bid them stay within their boundaries and then swung up on Noble's back, drawing his legs up to cross them indian style on the equine's back, his forearms resting on his knees. He closed his eyes and having nothing better to do, he started to meditate just as Lyra had instructed him earlier that day.

He'd be there for hours, letting the horse under him wander and graze until the sun started to peek over the forest and his body absorbed the warm rays of the sun.

As the day rose into a new morning, his gaze shifted around to look up and out across the field. Nudging his sibling, amber eyes blinked in wonder. They had searched the house, damn near screaming when a pair of wolves laid in the bed that had been deemed to that of him and scooted out of the house.

The place didn't look like it even had been touched by her hands, making them more weary. Their routine of breakfast with their lady totally broken. It seemed that Nik was the only one around.

Not to mention he was sitting on Noble in such a way that brought more questions to their lips. "Nik!" Miralyn called out trotting with brother in tow up to the male, looking up at him. "Nik?"

"Where's Lyra?" Mathos asked sharply not waiting to see if he would answer, "It's morning and she's no where in sight," he pouted obviously more disgruntle to the whole thing though Miralyn was pouting less than he.

Nik took a minute to come out of the deep meditation, but Noble's shifting and the voices of the children got his attention and he blinked, looking down with a raised brow at Mothis' demand. A smile crossed his lips at the pouting and the halfbreed chuckled, sliding off the horse and using the animal to balance for a moment as circulation came back into his legs. "Well, good morning to you, too." he chided teasingly and then looked around, indeed not spotting Lyra at all. He felt a twinge of worry, but decided not to do anything unreasonable just yet. If she'd not shown up by mid-morning to early afternoon then he'd go searching.

Right now he'd reassure the children. "Lyra had to leave for a while, but she'll be back." He ruffled Mothis' hair and jerked his head toward the house. "Come on, young ones. I'll make you something to eat. I'm not Lyra, but I think I can manage something." He winked at them and then hitched Miralyn onto his back as was a habit he'd developed with both children, carrying her to the house as Mothis trailed beside him.

He noted that both children seemed wary of going inside and nearly laughed. "Mira, Moth, the wolves aren't going to hurt you. It's about time you actually met them, I think." With that, he pushed them both through the door and into the kitchen, trying to ignore the way he felt slightly out of breath and light-headed, his body telling him it wasn't yet happy with him. He started in on making something for both children and didn't even have to turn around to know that the wolves had come out of the bedroom just judging by the nervous shifting behind him.

"Mothis, Miralyn, meet my brother Marsin and my sister Nyaisah."

The two werewolves gave Nik looks, exasperated to see him up and about, but Nyaisah looked at the children after that and smiled gently like a happy dog would, tail wagging just a little. "Hello. Were you the two who woke us this morning?"

Being ushered back towards the house, even as Nik tried to assure them, Miralyn was less privy to believe it than Mothis was. The place just didn't hold the same feeling as it did before.

Plopping her rear into her chair it was Mothis that made a stuttering noise whipping around the table to duck underneath. Eyes went surprisingly wide, shuffling off her chair moving around to the opposite side nodding slowly to the wolf but wasn't keen on answering. Rather she threw Nik a hesitant look. "I'm going to find Lyra." her frown deepened as Mothis climbed out only to move around the counter top putting space between them, she skittered around slipping out the door and out.

"Maybe I should go help," Mothis let out a nervous laugh, swallowed hard, "Mira! Wait for me!" tearing out of the kitchen and for the door, his sister was a bit of a ways up the road already for him to catch up too. "Mira!"

"Hurry up then, I don't want to wait around all day for you to catch up."

Nik sighed, looking after them with some worry and he shook his head, letting what he'd been making sit where he'd set it down as he made for his room without a word. Marsin and Nyaisah glanced at each other, neither perturbed by the children's fear of them. They'd dealt with it often among other races, especially in young ones who found them intimidating, but somehow they sensed that Nik wasn't taking it so well. They just weren't sure as to why as they followed him, watching as he slipped a shirt on and shoes and then moving slightly as he passed them and started out the front door.

"Cub-"

"No."

Nyaisah frowned, reaching out to stop him and he leaped away from her with a snarl. "No! Just leave me alone!" At their startled looks, he stopped and closed his eyes, not entirely sure why he felt the way he did but not about to try and explain it. "I'm just going into town. Go back to the woods and the rest of the pack. I'm fine."

"That's debatable." Marsin pointed out and Nik merely glared. "Good thing I didn't ask then. Look, I just want to be alone for awhile."

Both wolves looked displeased about it, but when he walked away again, they let him and Nik was quick to disappear out of their sight. He ducked into an alleyway three blocks later, putting his forehead against his palms as sharp pain stabbed through his skull with a hiss. When he pulled his fingers back, it was to see an unmistakable blue glow under his skin and Nik clenched his fists, willing it to leave. Stars, not now. He hadn't been that sick! Right?

S**t.

Breathing in and then out carefully, he focused on trying to repress the power that boiled in his veins, resurrecting the barriers that had been mentally damaged with the fever. When he felt he had some sort of control, Nik moved out of the alley again and just continued walking. Now that he knew what was wrong and why he'd changed moods so fast, was so unstable, he knew that his best bet was to just keep moving, giving his body something mind-numbing to do until the urge to wipe out everything within a thousand yard radius departed from him.

Yeah.

Flicking out the length of her hair from behind the binding of metal around her body, exasperated cries called out forcing her attention away from Zen as he held her breast plate with an equal uncertainty. Her battle armor had been kept in the armory as it should be, cleaned, polished and corrected of any dings it might have scathed, it was Zen that encouraged her to wear it to readjust to the weight.

"Lyra!" Mira's voice beckoned out like a white sail, though she skidded to a halt when she seen that she was nearly fully dressed in her armor, her blade at her side resting comfortably. "Are you leaving!" panic swelled in her bright eyes, "You can't leave yet, we haven't even started training and you're going to just up and leave!"

Zen's gaze faltered as she motioned for her to lift her arms so he would clip on the breastplate. "Miralyn," her tone took on a edge that quickly brought the child into a firm pose. Lifting her brow looking down the slope of her nose, the girl quickly withdrew her gaze to hide under the tumble of curls. Mothis sidled up close looking at her and his sister with a similar distaste and whimper. "You know I have orders to uphold which does not always go as planned. You young lady know this better than others and you will address it properly." Mira let out a whine sobbing softly. "Child this is for your safety, and you know that. I am not a General for no reason,"

Mothis whimpered again as Zen rolled his eyes. They were young and attached which she could understand more than she could say. Feeling the breastplate snug to her chest, she squeezed her hand testing the gauntlets as the lumbering male turned around to gather her pauldrons. "But... Lyra what are suppose to do without you, I mean you are just going to up and leave and then we won't know when you're going to be back!" Mira interjected springing forward latching tight around her waist, "I don't want you to go!" Mothis followed turn, it was hard to tell who was the older one with them like this. Stifling her own sigh letting her hands drop to each crown, she chuckled softly.

"Have I taught you nothing?" eyes of grey and gold lifted upwards to her, her gaze softening drastically. "I will not yield to these creatures and I will not fall. My wards, you both have jobs here to control. I need you both to tend to Heaven's Merge and to that of Nik. He is not so used to the elven ways as of yet and honestly, I wouldn't trust you two with it unless I knew you could handle it."

"He has werewolves in the house though!" Mothis sputtered, Zen returning with a disapproving glare to her about said information as she waved it off.

"And are you afraid of mere wolves?" Heads nodded, stopped and shook causing her to laugh warmly at them, her pauldrons put on and clatched in, she gave a light pat to his arm with a thanks. "Come, show me this wolves of terror."

She already knew of them and honestly was less than inclined to deal with them again. Not that she had in the first place. "I'll join you," it wasn't an offer it was a statement. Dressed down in his own armor already, he nominated himself as her second in command for the field. Bowing her head to him, little hands twined through her gloved ones pulling her along. "Werewolves honestly."

"Leave it Zen."

Niklomaus was losing control. He could feel it slipping through his fingers like sand with every passing minute. He knew that he only had some Elemental blood, maybe a quarter at most and maybe far less - no one had ever told him - but that didn't change the fact that his power seemed far more intense and powerful than it should have been. Elementals were instinctual creatures, raw in emotions and actions, always following the very nature they could control, sometimes unable to be distinguished between themselves and their powers. They lived for destruction if their moods called for it, most who did this being fire-gifted or storm-gifted, and peace when they felt it, serenity that could heal an entire forest if they wished and were powerful enough. There were not many of them in the world lest it fall into chaos at their whims.

And Nik...he was human. He had their weaknesses and their strengths. He could adapt well, was resilient, learned quickly and he could be stubborn just like them. He was also Sidhe, prideful, strong but showing their weaknesses as well in his unwillingness to be wrong until he had to be. And then there was his Elemental side. It didn't get to come out and play often, he wouldn't let it, but when it did...

It came with a terrifying need, demanding that he submit to its will like it was a living thing and Nik could only hold it off so long. It raged through his blood, his mind like fire and he could barely hear the town around him anymore with the thunder and wildfire that roared through his ears. He could feel the electricity building on his skin, making the small hairs there rise like a storm was coming.

A more apt description there was not.

He didn't mean to end up where he did. Really, he didn't, but his feet, leaving patches of subtle frost behind him with each step, had taken him to the sparring grounds and pale blue eyes, nearly starting to glow, looked around for adequate prey, a smile that was purely mischievous flitting over his face.

---

"We should go after him."

"No."

Nyaisah snarled, watching Marsin pace. "He's not stable yet!" They both knew what she meant and Marsin turned on her with an open-mouthed growl of anger, making the younger wolf pin her ears and crouch a little in a submissive way. "I know that, but that part of him doesn't listen to us. We can't stop it and if we go after him, it's only going to turn him on us. We're a far better challenge. It wouldn't be Nik we'd be fighting."

The gray wolf looked away, disgruntled, but she'd heard the stories, knew he was right and so she remained quiet. They both did, but their ears perked, looking down the road as they caught the familiar scent of the two children and Lyra...and the unfamiliar scent of a male with her. They didn't approach, not sure if they should, but neither did they leave, eyes flickering the way Nik had gone and then back to the group, uneasy.

She pushed open the door to the room that the wolves had lingered in, Zen was outside scouting the grounds out of his own wishes; the children stood on the toes. "They aren't here." Mothis stated the obvious.

"Aye, they are nothing to fear though if they pittled on my floor, I will be a trite irritated." she was teasing them watching a quirk of a smile touch Mira's lips. "Now," something in her gut twitched, eyes paused before throwing around a look narrowing a gaze trying to feel something beyond her body.

"Lyra?" Mira tilted her chin.

Putting her fingers to her lips pushing a sharp whistle, the heavy steps came running up with no haste revealing Zen in a wided eyed ready to battle stance, looking at her. "Wha-" she threw her hand out forcing the man back out the door with her wards in tow. "I hate it when you get that look." He grumbled at her, a brief shimmering glinted and played through her sights. "It's unnatural."

"Take them home." his mouth opened in retort, "Did I ask for your objection?" her voice never raised but the authority it rang came out in bells causing the taller man to wince back a pace. She never talked about it, if ever thought about it. It wasn't strong and it wasn't enough to be reacting the way she did but there was something biting at her neck about it. Turning her gaze around scouting the trees, she knew they were out there watching, waiting. If they were still close, there was something wrong. Bowing his head to her, Mira and Moth stared at her in wonder though they knew better at this moment to chide to her.

Metal scrapped across metal, her positioning twisting to walk down the pathway a hand itching to twine around her hilt. "The spirits.... they cry out." So many knew her as the paladin, the one who walked among the divine path and accepted the fact she wielded her ice element. Elves paid no attention but humans did. There was a reason she was a general and it wasn't for her brute skills.

------

Eyes scouted the area, it seemed quiet like all should be. Many of the soldiers getting ready to strike out in the evening of tomorrow. It took her a bit to trail him down, the silent spirits guiding her eyes and her hand leading to the council chambers, no leading her to the training grounds.

Azure eyes shimmered the array of shades narrowing before she stepped forward, "So," Lyra spaced herself out, straightening herself in the armor standing tall she lifted her chin, "Your an unbalanced elemental."

Nik had been struggling as he stood there, trying to get himself under control as his power only grew, wild with excitement, with the need to strike. He didn't want to hurt anyone. HE didn't, but the storm that raged inside him....it wanted that and more. It had been confined too long, denied too long. It was not trained, had never been appreciated or allowed to grow properly and now it was angry always, vengeful and terrifying for what it lacked in discipline, it made up for in sheer overwhelming abundance and will. It fought the restraints being placed on it by its keeper and Nik's control finally broke.

And just in time for a new opponent to arrive and the focus Arkne - for that was what he was now; Chaos - had on his chosen prey faltered and then changed as he turned to look at the ice-spirit who'd addressed him. He didn't respond, pale blues eyes glowing across his face and the marks on his skin lighting up, a blue glow seeping from his hands and arms as he smiled, dark and dangerous.

Finally. A challenge.

Arkne advanced on the ice-spirit without a word or regret or hesitation. Fire gathered in his hands, blazing blue and hot as it spiraled up his arms and the ground cracked with each step he took, shaking just slightly. Wind whipped at his hair and at hers and with a laugh that echoed like a storm, he struck out, an inferno in the form of a great ball shooting out. He didn't register the other gray, clouded spirits of different powers around him. They were not worth his time.

He'd been drawn to this one. Always to this one and the ice-spirit was the one he yearned to connect with. His keeper was being much slower about it than Arkne desired, however, and that just wouldn't do.

Unbalanced and purely wild, Lyra exhaled heavily letting the air of cold echoed and trump behind her veins. She wanted to use her manna for the other day, but he advanced quickly showing her that she would have to recoup it later. This was now and it was driven in a wild fury.

The armor was against her for speed but it made up in defense. Fire climbed along his body throwing the ire of wind in untamed ramparts, she remained stilled and trained in her position. Watching his strike, using the sway of her body to strife to her right, letting the vertical roll and the wind he cast to brace her back along the inferno, frost sparked sharp and fresh across her palms, forming ice crystals to climb and form into a thick mimic of a dragon claw. Then it sparked heavily behind her gaze, letting the azure attain a glow of emerald green, feet dug into the ground lunging at the man, flecks of snow trailing behind. Diving to her side to avoid a strike from the wild creature, the fluid of her body moved in a motion of dance rather than attack she had used last time she sparred against him. Her features set into a unruly calm, her skin paler than normal yet she felt the heat of the moment drive into her heart and lungs.

When he was close at diving at her again, Lyra let out a cooling breath composing herself to arch her feet right around on the ground, turning herself across the ground in a swirl letting the spread of cold parch and freeze the grass and dirt into a shimmer of ice. He was fast and she knew that, but without transition he wouldn't be able to wield his fire as effectively. The wind aided her in this time, constantly making sure it was at her back to increase her own movements rather in front, eyes turned a shade brighter. The claws began to glow a vivid hue summoning the matter of freezing light within her palm, jutting it down towards the ground to slam into the ice freshly created. Cracking with the motion, a rally of cold bolts shot up in jagged spikes lumbering higher and higher to create a facade of a shield.

She avoided the fire. He didn't mind. The wind he was creating was aiding her. He didn't mind. Arkne watched the land before him ice over and blinked like a child fascinated by a delightful trick. The fire did indeed die on his arms, but he hardly looked worried about it as the ground beneath him cracked and roiled, breaking up the ice. When the jagged spikes of ice came afterward, he laughed and simply touched the first one that came the closest to him. It stopped, his entire arm coating over in ice and then the jagged ground of glittering, sharp cones simply melted. Arkne grinned, the glow of blue intensifying around him as he extended his hand and the water rose in swirling ropes.

He looked up to the ice-spirit then and his smile was wild and mischievous as he let the ropes shoot toward her. Oh, he knew what she'd do with them, but his goal wasn't to harm. Not her. He liked the ice-spirit. Was drawn to her. She was strength and stability. She was calm to his chaos. She was an equal to him one unlike anything he'd ever encountered and he simply wanted to see what she could do.

So Arkne let the water advance on her while at the same time looking up to the darkening sky, catching the lightning strike that came for his palm, and watching the electricity that danced there with glee before throwing it out to join the strands of water, making them far more deadly and all the while he watched the ice-spirit with an expression that could only be described as anticipation.

This was a game to him, nothing more. It was fun. He was playing.

Watching behind the mask of serenity as he dislodged the ice that shot up with a mere touch, his grin doubling into a mirthful fright of a childlike glee, understanding swarm think in her mind. He didn't want to fight in the typical sense, he was playing. Then it dawned on her, this power... this chaotic strength was immature even in its strongest state. It was undeveloped!

She had to change her tactics. Melding the water from her ice into ropes bound and feral to loop out towards her, ice that had been formed to her hands cracked under command letting it drop to the ground shattering leaving her hands nothing more than gloved and chilled.

Whirling around the water, striding to her right, cuffing back a foot letting the spiral of her hands dip and fall, body clamoured with armor floated through the ropes not destroying them or using them to her own advantage but used more of her acrobatic skills to dive, twine and slip through them. The rise of her chest let out a gasp of faint air, eyes glittered a glow. Spirits spoke quick and harsh demanding this chaos be reigned in, bring a balance to the nature of things disturbed.

Then the sky cracked unleashing the lightening from the heavens cascading down into the full of his palm and suddenly things got a lot worse. Panic welled into her chest though it did not reflect outwardly, having a metal plate of suit on her body and electricity being thrown to her, she had to move quickly.

Mildly just barely avoiding one stream of his destructive force, muscles screamed out in agony at the awkward angle she had been forced to take. Even more so when she had to recover just as quick. Taking the brief interlude to his casting - as minor as it was- she rushed forward, ice beaconing into her palm much like she had to Jak the weeks prior. Flare jumped to her face, growling deep and throwing a decisive strike at him when she was close enough. She had to rally quick and keep at it. Using the distraction of her strike to force him to either return it or merely dodge it, she came up close swirling around in a bound of feet keeping close to his figure making it increasingly difficult to cast with her being this close. Ears could hear her heart beating, his own in trepid leisure. As much as she was starting to weakened due to the increased usages of her skills, she grinned softly one that was merely private for the chaotic elemental himself. Blossoming into her eyes they drained of the glow previously, she whipped her momentum back to escape in a backflip and landing hard to the ground skidding a bit away.

Remaining crouched, her body trembled against her desire, aching grew in waves sending sharp pains through the back of her eyes, she over did it very quickly. If she had know he was simply playing at first, she would have conserved her magic, but that came too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.