Change of Heart

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, someone didn't have to. No one ever has. No one ever cared enough to even try. Nik kept his thoughts to himself, but they were clear in his eyes and the gratitude was too even if Lyra didn't want to acknowledge it. And more than sensing that she didn't want to pursue the topic anymore - and truthfully neither did he, feeling enough right now as it was - he let her direct their attention elsewhere and he nodded, standing with a smile. In that moment he looked far more relaxed and even happy than he had in a long time, and Nik picked up his oatmeal.

"I'll see them, but they don't much like being confined, so I think we'll stay outside. Thank you, though."

He moved away toward the door then and paused there, glancing back and meeting her eyes. "I will think on what you've said, but....thank you for saying nothing to anyone else yet." He wasn't ready to face his family and while most elves might be fine with his heritage, there were always those who would not be. Nik was genuinely grateful Lyra had chosen to be discreet for now and he gave her a smile before disappearing out the door.

------------

The next three days were quiet ones for Nik as his body recovered from both the illness and his power surge. He stayed away from the house a lot, sometimes just perched atop Heaven or Noble and other times off with the wolves. His thoughts were consumed with Lyra's words, the questions she'd posed to him and while the answers should have been simple, were simple, putting them into practice and convincing himself that the world wasn't going to come crashing down if he did...well, that was another thing. He'd spent his whole life being beat down. To have the hope of rising up and actually becoming more than what he'd always been told he was....it was a hard concept for him to wrap his mind around.

But he WANTED to.

If Lyra could say such things to him when just three weeks ago she'd thought nothing of him either, then obviously she saw something in him he did not yet see and for some odd reason, that actually meant something to him in a way the werewolves' encouragement had not. Maybe it was just because he actually admired the she-elf so much. Or it could have been something else, but whatever the reason, he wanted to live up to her words.

Even if most of her words these days were grumbled and unhappy.

Maybe that was why he chose to finally take a step forward today - out of some kind of penance for costing her a month on the sidelines. At present Nik was leaning against the side of the stable wall, watching Lyra with both Noble and Heaven out in the field and the idea came slowly, tentatively as if it expected to be snarled back into submission, but this time Nik didn't shove it away and something seemed to spark to life within him. It was his power, taking an interest in the lack of heavy restraints and for the first time since he was a just a child, Nik actually called some of it forward. It came slowly, as if sensing that if swarmed he'd stop and the white-haired male extended his hand slowly, watching as the wind started to push against the tall grains of yellow grass, ripping the seeds off and sending them into a flurry of a dance through the sky.

It took a bit more concentration - a lot actually - to get that swirling wind to slow a bit and then blow by Lyra, catching at her hair teasingly as the grains twirled and danced around her and the horses harmlessly.

Nik couldn't help the smile that came to his face, nor the sense of freedom that rose in his chest at having made a conscious choice to do something always forbidden him.

Oh she was downright bitter and sour as the days continued. Sure she had been suspended from the line before but it wasn't more than a day at least. Then again Jak had never been that furious with her. It bogged on her in heavy waves making her resort to lurking away more and more in her room than previously.

Perhaps the only thing that made her smirk in a cruel twist of fate was Zen had been reprimanded as well for having been there and not stopped the fighting when he should have. Especially considering he was Jak's right hand man, it only made it that much more trying and made Jak have to set an example out of both of them.

Granted his suspension was only a few weeks in comparison to hers, but it was nice to know someone else was just as miserable as she was.

Being rustled up and out of her room much to her own irritation, she ventured outside knowing that the sidhe was around but she didn't overly make much of a conversation with him. It was nothing against him in the least but he certainly spent much more time away from the house as well making it clear that he needed time to himself. She was not about to go muddling in that.

Rubbing the halter back and forth on his face bringing his head down, fingers scratched around the soft pelt of his mane; Heaven nickered loudly before shaking out her own coat from the dust rising. Watching the fox tails mix in a swaying motion of the grains of grass while the wind picked up tussling her hair around, she threw a bit of a look across her shoulder towards the stables figuring more was encouraged by that of sidhe than nature itself. At least he was trying to experiment with his powers, encouraging them rather than hiding them away again until they festered and exploded.

Receiving a strong butt of a nose to her forehead realizing she had stopped fawning over Noble, the gelding snorted hard trying to retain her attention.

"Lyra." a voice called over the field against the wind whirling her attention around to focus on the casual dressed elf trudging upwards, Victory Rush being lead behind that of the man. He did strike an impressive appearance when he was dressed down in commoner clothing.

Horses head rose taking into interest the young sandy gray gelding coming up behind its owner curiosity sparking. Looping the reigns across the horses neck, Zen released the hold to let the three converge taking interesting in the other with wonder closing the distance between himself and her. "You weren't in the house so I figured I ought to come and see how things are with yourself."

Hands cradled around her cheeks, "I'm going out of my mind." stress echoed in her voice, "I swear Jak is just waiting for me to crack under this pressure. And it's working." he chuckled to her tucking his hands into the hems of his pockets, "What brings you here anyways?"

"Figured you'd be going out of your mind," a hand reached out to smooth back the loose strands around her ear, pushing them back. "So I thought I might take the incentive to see that you are entertained, thinking a date you know? Like he used to do when we were detained for mischievous behavior. Horse riding, dinner that whole thing. Maybe walk later?"

She shrugged, "Ain't like I am doing anything else."

Nik had taken a step to approach Lyra when a voice he already felt a curling loathing for came across the field and the halfbreed faltered, moving back into the shadows as he watched. He didn't like the hot emotion that settled in his chest, bringing what felt like acid to his throat and an itch to his palms so that he clenched them tightly. He had the most unnatural desire to march out there and simply beat Zen into the ground until the elf knew well and clear that he wasn't to come back again, wasn't to touch Lyra again.

It was that thought that made some clarity come back into his red haze of anger and Nik shook his head, clutching it for a moment as he forced himself to breathe. Stars, what was WRONG with him? Lyra wasn't a possession! He had no control over her and nor did he wish to. She could handle Zen and if he touched her and she didn't mind, who was Nik to say that was wrong? He knew he was thinking logically, but it didn't seem to be helping at all as the poisonous emotion in his chest didn't abate in the least and he looked back up again, feeling the anger lap at his mind once more when the navy-haired elf came back into view.

Nik's face tightened, pale blue eyes frosting over and he didn't stop the blue glow that came over his skin, a dark smile flitting across his face. He didn't move, didn't have to as the ground between Lyra and Zen split open - not a gaping hole, but a decent fissure enough to twist one's ankle in - and the side Zen was standing on bucked, sending him flying backward. Nik was gone then, before either of them would be able to look around and human blood or not, if Nik didn't want to be seen; he wasn't.

Lips parted to say something in response to her previous words they both stopped, both set of ears fell down into alarm as within a matter of seconds Lyra was blinking at Zen, then the ground having opened up tossing the elven male backwards right onto the flat ground.

Giving his head a firm shake, disorientated gathering himself up to at least sit on the grass and dirt alike, a hand pressed to the side of his skull. "W-What just happened?"

Lyra offered a nervous smile, "I couldn't even tell you-" she threw a look across her shoulder, 'Someone is being mischievous is what! What's the deal here?' words tumbled through her mind though Nik was nowhere in sight making it seem just that much more suspicious to the whole thing. Okay she was getting it nice and clear the two of them didn't see eye to eye, but honestly. Was Nik honestly willing to be that sneaky and immature?

Sighing heavily letting her shoulders slump, Zen glanced up to her while she stepped around the fissure and knelt down to his level. "Still want to go out for a bit?"

He nodded a bit apprehensively, but nodded either way. "That.. wasn't your little spirit creatures was it?" Lyra shrugged again causing him to watch her behind a wide eye stare.

"One can never say," She offered a hand to the man pulling him upright stumbling a step he laughed nervously. "Still trust me?"

"With my life." he grinned a lot easier this time, pulling her shoulder to his side allowing the drape of an arm rest across her shoulders though she turned a shade of crimson with the gesture. "Ready?"

"Aye."

Okay, so that hadn't been the right thing to do...but Nik couldn't help but grin just a little at the image still stuck in his mind. Nope, not the right thing to do. But oh so worth it. He snorted to himself, making his way through the town and many an elf greeted him on the way, something he was still trying to get used to, but was liking more and more. They were getting used to seeing his silver-marked face and his barefooted feet. Often they could find him up on a roof or helping to dig a well, getting a cart stuck out of the mud with a group of male elves or carrying a heavy load for a mother with three kids. Lyra had been right; Nik's character was indebted into the actions he took and the way he looked at the world and those around him.

There was anger and a dangerous darkness in his heart, but also dwelled there compassion and a love for anything and everything more helpless than he. He knew how to handle such things, what to do in those kind of situations....which was why Lyra and Zen...that threw him. Lyra...she didn't NEED him to protect her or claim her. She wasn't a possession. She was fierce and independent and free and would be owned by no one....even if she did need those who cared for her in her life more than she seemed to realize. So it was that Nik was truly at a loss as to how to go about this.

Or even what this was. He was jealous. He didn't know why though. He and Lyra were friends, new ones at that, and he'd known her nearly three weeks. What right did he have to feel so...possessive of her? He was only her husband in name, they weren't in love, hadn't made any promises they'd actually meant.

Gah, sometimes he hated his own heart.

Sighing at the though, Nik looked up at the council building, knowing he'd find the person he needed to speak to inside, but not at all sure how to even begin to get on the topic. Still, he'd come this far and if courage couldn't drive him this far, desperation could so Nik went inside, found Jak's office and as calmly as he could muster, knocked on the door.

Scribbling the quill quickly across the paper putting his name to a decree, the soft knock to the door mustered his attention alongside that of the assistance that stood over his shoulder. Throwing her a look as her silver hair touched to curl around her cheeks, she shrugged. "Was I expecting someone, Thera?" her head shook quickly, her hands filled with papers he had just spent the last hour having to sign and initial to make things official, she began mulling through them.

"Perhaps the Regent?" she spoke softly almost afraid the break the barrier of sound.

Now his head shook, "No, the Regent has stepped into Human lands to speak with their King in trade agreements to bypass the centaurs." leaning back in his chair stretching out his limbs, a yawn ensued before he made the motion to the door. "Let them in would you?"

"Yes my lord," a slight bow and she was rushing over towards the door to pull it open, looking out though she turned her gaze upwards to the taller man and gasped in surprised. "Oh Master Niklomaus," she turned to pull the door open fully; Jak watching through his lens with a confusion to the lad standing in the doorway. "Lord Bloodworth-" he waved her off.

"Your pardoned Thera, perhaps bring some drinks in a bit but for now-" he bridged his hands on the top of his desk still watching the sidhe with a bit of caution but more in the way that he hadn't seen Nik ever come to his office before. It could be a iffy subject if he was arriving on such or rather no notice.

Dipping more traditionally as she motioned for Nik to enter, Thera swung around and shut the door behind herself. Making a motion to the chairs in front of his desk for the lad, Jak raised a brow plucking his lens off is face cleaning them on the black shirt he wore. "Surprised to see you here Nik. What brings you to my office on such a day?"

Nik winced a bit as his diplomatic brain - and he was a Prince even if his family didn't like it - caught up with his wayward body and he realized that he'd probably overstepped a great many protocols and etiquette showing up as he had. And without shoes...or combed hair....or proper clothes... Gah, he was an idiot. Still, when he was told to come in, Nik did and training alone kept his head high where it should be and his limbs steady as he took a seat.

And then Jak spoke and the halfbreed's mind went blank. He absolutely hated when that happened. He opened his mouth, hesitated for a moment and then decided to just simply go through with it now that he was here. He couldn't exactly get advice from anywhere else concerning Lyra and he wasn't about to waste Jakson's time by not being truthful with why he'd come. So taking a breath, the white-haired male smiled a bit sheepishly and shrugged.

"Honestly, I came here about your sister. I...have a situation I am not sure how to deal with concerning Lyra and I was hopeful that you might be able to shed some light on the matter." Seeing that he now had the other male's attention, Nik leaned forward and rested his arms on his knees, and his fingertips touching each other. "I would like to know about the relationship between Commander Zen and your sister, and what kind of claim he thinks he has over her."

Pale blue eyes looked up to meet sapphire blue in all seriousness and with resolve.

Where his features had been pleasant before, his gaze turned sharp and deadly with the mention of Lyra - clearly not impressed with her previous behaviour yet- and now the lad was asking about her, it make his hackles raise.

Brows knitted, "What sort of situation?" a tone had shifted from his welcoming volume taking more into a direction of where he was addressing a serious moment between soldiers than possibly his sibling. He was in a foul mood almost instantly with her mention, gritting his teeth. "That woman, I swear to the goddesses; she is more trouble-" he began stopped and surprise registered over his face upon hearing the prince finish what he was asking.

Blinking quickly, Jak gave him a bewildered look over. "You want to know their relationship? That's the situation." Clearing his throat rubbing his temple with a sigh, a smirk spread upon his lips. "They have quite the history together in perfect truth. From a young age, the pair of them were nearly inseparable. Merely due to them being so close in ages. With Lyra being not even the age of a teenager in our culture, Zen is only two years older than her." his finger knit together, "Kids around here aren't usually born so close, so when they are they tend to make bonds. Zen more than Lyra." he cleared his throat; "The claim he has on her as you stated is possession and protection." his hands waved quickly, "I am certain you've heard rumor of Lyra's younger years through the locals. Zen feels responsible for what happened to her and not to mention was planning on making her his wife before my father and your grandfather made the ruling to have you two married."

Nik found himself bristling when Jak started in on Lyra, but the situation simmered down again and he frowned, listening to the explanation. It was a thoughtful look at first, though, because he was merely absorbing the story, but near the end the expression started to harden a bit. Possession and protection. And plans to marry her. So Zen thought he could take her from him - even if Nik wasn't quite sure what exactly Lyra was to him yet. He'd thought as much, but hearing it cemented the anger he felt and the white haired male stood, starting to pace slowly. He stopped abruptly and glared at the floor for a moment before something Jak had said made his head snap up again, expression puzzled and tinged with worry.

"What rumors?"

Why did he have the feeling that he was missing something very, very important...and not at all pleasant? Part of him wanted Jak to explain to him and part of him didn't want to know, to have Lyra trust him enough to tell him herself, but he wasn't about to say anything either way. He'd let Jakson speak as he wanted.

"You're about as antsy as a dog tied up to a chain too long." Jak was observing the lad carefully and it wasn't hard to see that he wasn't liking what he was saying. In only became more concrete as he began to pace around his office.

Putting the lens back to his face after he had cleaned them thoroughly Jak raised his brow. "I'm not surprised she hasn't said anything though surprised more so you haven't heard the hearsay about her either. Perhaps this city is finally leaving it alone." he mused softly to himself, shrugged and leaned back into his office chair.

"Lyra was never meant to be a paladin, actually she never had the desire to combat for the longest time. If anything, Lyra was more of the artistic type as a child. Thrilled with colours, tastes and sounds over anything else. She even expressed a desire to become a shaman or a druid. There was even talk of her apprenticing under Arrah our city seer, as quirky as she is." he lifted his brows to the statement before carrying on, "As I said Zen and Lyra were extremely close as children. My father wasn't exactly the most compassionate man ever, and still isn't to that of Lyra. I am nearly thirty years older than her so when she was born she was a mistake apparently. And the fact she wasn't another boy only made my father a bit more distant from her. But he did make damn sure she knew she was bound by his will." his brow tightened now eyes dropping shut as a deep frown pressed tight to his face. "You know she is a tough woman to deal with, vile tongued and sharp as a whip when she wants to be. She is closed off and won't risk opening herself to others. Passionate to a fault and impulsive, it's all her way of making sure others stay away from her never passing that exterior that can expose what she is really like. She's always been quite the cook, one of her passions but I digress, anyways when she was around I think eight or nine, Zen's elder brother was one of the commanders in the elite army much like he is and myself. Crude fellow and brash. Zen and him never got along which is understandable and this crush thing he had on Lyra was evident as well much like it is now. Lyra was unfortunately caught in a cruel about way to make Zen feel the pain of his elder brother."

Jak clicked his tongue in disgust clearly getting annoyed himself, "Using Lyra's innocence and trusting nature, the elder brother took it upon himself to," Jak was scowling now, "He molested Lyra. Not once but a many times. She never came out to tell anyone about it and from what I could figure, it was about two years of this happening before Zen was the one that caught his brother harming her in such a way. I don't know the details and honestly I don't want too." Blue irises took on a dangerous look, "I wasn't the Colonel at the time but a mere soldier but when I heard wind of it-" he didn't finish his sentence making it very clear he took matters into his own hands. "Much of the town heard of what happened merely by my father spreading it around like wildfire and deeming that Lyra was weak and pathetic for allowing it to happen and that she would have to live with the knowledge that she was worthless to anyone that may want to take her later in life. Used goods as he would put it. She became recluse which is to be expected. Something snapped that she threw away her previous self and locked it behind this ruse of her venomous rebellion, left home at I think around fifteen to live among the humans, getting training from them that managed to build this thick skin around herself."

Jak huffed, "She came back, and made an open challenge to the Colonel at the time to admit her into the military. She failed granted but the old Colonel was impressed and therefore the rest is history. Zen hangs close to her because he wants to right the wrong she suffered and I doubt anything will stop him from doing so. Her being married to you is merely to him a challenge and one he will not rest until either Lyra tells him to stop or can see that she is happy in her life. If he is hanging around, it means he doesn't trust you and believes you will cause her harm so in turn he'll take any chance he can to sweep her away and try to make her see that she should be with him." Jak narrowed his gaze, "Is that enough?"

Nik felt like he could be sick, his stomach in a tight knot and a crushing pressure on his chest, his head abuzz with the horrifying words Jak had given him. At the male elf's question, Nik closed his eyes for a moment, breathing only one word that spoke enough in his opinion and yet not enough at all. No word could ever capture the grief and horror, injustice and rage that was wrapped up in this situation but this word did a good job in trying.

"F**k."

The brave, exotic, fierce, occasionally gentle, kind she-elf who'd been doing what she could to help him...had needed just as much help all this time. Their situations were more similar than they'd ever known and if Nik had felt possessive before, it now spiked drastically, everything in him wanting to protect her, shield her from the world and mend her heart. He knew he couldn't though. Lyra...she needed to learn how to accept comfort just as much as he needed to learn to accept himself. But he could help her now. He wanted to help her.

And he wanted to tear apart those who'd hurt her. Unfortunately, none of them were here right now and Nik kept his snarling, howling power at bay - but this time he promised it that it could have its fun soon. He was no longer interested in confining it, pretending it didn't exist. If Lyra could come back to face her demons, use her experience to becoming stronger - albeit maybe a bit too strong - he could stop pretending to be something he was not. And if his power wanted blood, he'd give it blood.

Pale blue eyes opened and Nik spoke with an edge of fury to his voice, but appearing eerily calm. "Thank you for telling me." He dipped his head in a bow of respect and headed for the door, but paused before going out and looked back at the male elf. "And Jak," His eyes glowed and the silvery marks on his skin shimmered like metal in water as a docile ball of fire formed in his open palm. "The fight wasn't Lyra's fault." He closed his hand, dousing the fire and left.

He knew where he was going, too. No where in the city. He couldn't risk hurting anyone here, but elsewhere....

Nik grinned and picked up his pace as he headed for the woods in the distance.

Exhaling heavily through his nose at the boy, irritation in his gaze not directed at Nik but it was certainly there humming mad for all that he had to relay to him. Lyra wouldn't speak of it. He knew that, seen it when she had been confronted by it before. A brief shimmer of fear shot through her gaze before she laughed it off with a wave of her hand, playing it off as nothing and refused to speak anymore about it.

Humming in a way that said he was welcome to the boy, he shook his head. His eyes had closed smirking a little at the lad when he said the fight hadn't been Lyra's fault. He had that inkling before, but he could only reprimanded her not the prince.

~~~~~~~~

Plopping down resting against the steps of the front step, Zen sat close looking out towards the city as the night had begun to settle. The smell of simmering meal wafted from the house letting her hand cradle her chin, a single relaxed smile touching all aspects of her face. "I don't think I've seen that smile for a while, didn't think it existed still." Zen teased her, giving a light nudge of his elbow to her.

"I haven't had much reason to smile like this in a long time." she replied though it didn't falter. "Thanks, needed some time just to unwind I suppose." clapping a hand over his, he nodded deeply.

"Always at your service," he was looking downwards at her hand upon his. "Perhaps I ought to make it a habit to get that grin to grace your lips?" the question perked her focus causing to chuckle lightly.

"You could try if you think it's worth it."

Zen straightened his back looking proud; "You said you haven't had much reason to do so in a while, and if I can then why not? No one else is trying too so?" his palm turned over slipping his fingers through her own giving them an attentive squeeze.

Nik had met the wolves and they hadn't questioned. They didn't have to. They could feel the rage coming off him and yet, they also felt the control and so when he bid them run with them, they did. Nik was human in many things, Elemental in other, but when it came to speed he was Sidhe and his pace could match that of a werewolf at a ground eating lope for hours if he wished. More-so considering the fact that he'd been running with them since he was small. They raced through the woods for miles and miles until the forest opened up into the rocky plains, yellowed grass scattered with rock formations.

It was here that so many centaur patrols, scouts had been spotted and Nik...well, he was craving blood and destruction. What better target?

He had six werewolves with him and Centaur patrols ran in a group of ten. Pretty good odds in his opinion and the canines with him seemed to agree now that they knew their prey. In the growing darkness they hunted, following the feral Elemental who led them as he listened to the earth and the sky overhead, telling him all he needed to know about those he wished to find. Nik, he didn't have a great control on his gift...until they both wanted the same thing and then it seemed he was lethal even if he didn't have any specific discipline.

The Centaurs, when they came upon them, didn't have a chance. Great bodies collided with concussive power as thunder cracked overhead and Nik, glowing like a blue demon, called down the lightning on them, killing two instantly before he decided it wasn't nearly as much fun that way and he jumped for his rock down into the fray. Fire flared in his hands and anyone who got near him found themselves being scorched as the earth rumbled beneath their feet, breaking more than one Centaur's leg as they stepped into fissures that closed as soon as they dipped, like a sprung trap.

It was over far too soon and Nik dripped with blood, only some of it his own, as he looked upon the carnage grimly. Marsin's hand came upon his shoulder without fear then, the large werewolf as equally covered in blood and Nik looked up and around at his pack. They were all here, some wounded, but alive and he let out an explosive sigh, nodding slowly.

"All right. Let's go."

The night turned darker, the moon hiding away this night making everything seem pitch where the torch light hadn't touched; Zen had bid her a goodnight when she spoke of him needing to rest. Or rather ordered him to rest.

They ate together, conversed between another more than she had done in the longest while feeling the reprieve of burden lessen for a brief time but she knew better than to grasp at straws. He was relentless in wanting to remain around for the evening but after some strong words and even more pushing he faltered to her whim.

Making a cup of hot chocolate - a rarity even in these parts- she sat still out beneath the torch light of her home watching the dark glittering sky. She was comfortable in this place, comfortable being alone more than she was with others and honestly it suited her fine. Her heart gave out to others unconditionally but receiving back or opening to another was almost impossible. Thorns divided her feelings prying and stabbing until she pushed back into that comforting silence of herself and let things be. It was as it should be.

Nik was exhausted when he finally came up the path to Lyra's house - odd that he still didn't yet think of it as his own. The werewolves had stayed in the woods and the halfbreed had made the last small leg of the journey alone. Now he just wanted to fall into bed and go to sleep, but the sight of Lyra on the porch caused another desire to rise as well and it was hard to push down and ignore. He wanted to hug her. To pull her close and kiss her forehead and tell her that everything was going to be all right, that she wasn't to blame for anything and that she was more worthy to be loved and cared for than a thousand other she-elves.

And then common sense kicked in and he remembered he was covered in blood, Lyra hadn't told him what had happened so she didn't know that he knew and she would NOT be receptive to any of that but would most likely curse him out.

The thought made him smile slightly. Yep, that was Lyra and he honestly wouldn't have had his friend any other way. Sighing, Nik made his way up the steps and as soon as he knew Lyra had seen him and the drying blood all over him - particularly visible in his white hair - he shook his head and held up a hand. "You don't want to know." He frowned then and rephrased. "Tonight. You don't want to know tonight. Still want to know in the morning, and I'll tell you."

He gave her a smile then, something gentle and genuine. "I'm glad your visit with Zen made you happy." He could sense it about her and in that moment, he truly was happy that she was happy because in that moment, it wasn't about him, it was about her. If she was happy, that's all that mattered. The how or why wasn't important. So saying, Nik moved his way into the house, intent on simply falling into bed.

Drawing her gaze up along the pathway to the house, the silhouette wasn't hard to tell whom it was but the moment it was well within her sights; her whole demeanor shifted over into alarm. Blood caked upon attire, flesh and hair alike; Lyra jumped to her feet. With how much there was it wasn't hard to tell it wasn't his. Otherwise well he'd be dead. Simple as that.

Looking at the hand being held up to stop her from asking, her gears shifted quick from worried to irritation. She was not one to be silenced!

He slipped by her, she ignored the how matter pertaining to Zen and charged in after him. "Nik," her eyes narrowed sharply, "Your covered in blood and your telling me no wait, directing me that I am to wait till tomorrow morning. Like hell!" she snapped, jabbing her finger back out the door. "I will fight you tooth and nail and then there will be blood." this wasn't a statement this was a threat, "You don't get to just shrug this off as if nothing happened and expect me to be alright with it. How god damn stupid do you take me for honestly! Fine I get it, respect for me isn't there. That's fine but I damn well deserve a explanation. And I want it now."

Nik stopped and turned to face her, head tilting and a brow rising as her voice did and when she'd finished, he paused for a moment. It wasn't out of stubbornness or the will to be difficult that made him quiet but the fact that his sheer exhaustion was making it hard to think. He finally got it, though, and groaned slightly, bringing his fingers up to his temple with a sigh before he moved his hands away and lifted his head again, giving Lyra a completely calm look.

"First off, I told you to wait because if I explain it now, you're not going to get very good details. I'm asleep on my feet." He turned toward his room and beckoned with his hand that she could follow if she wanted the rest of what he had to say. He wanted the majority of the blood off and she could yell at him just as well while he was doing that as when he was standing here. "Second, I don't think you stupid and I do respect you. Probably a lot more than you realize and it's because I care about you that I didn't want to upset you tonight."

Yep, his tongue was running away from him and Nik didn't even care as he stripped the blood caked shirt off his back, wincing just slightly as the fabric pulled away from a semi-shallow cut across his abdomen. He threw the shirt away and looked at the wash bin for a moment before deciding that he just didn't care and instead the halfbreed went to the bed and flopped down on his stomach, barely even noticing the sting from the cut anymore, another across his shoulder blade on his back. Pale blue eyes closed.

"Third, I went Centaur hunting with the wolves. I was furious, my power was furious and so we both agreed that killing something was needed. Found a patrol. Ten dead Centaurs. Explanation explained."

Hands exploded in a pinching direction to him explaining everything, words jumbled behind a quick and flustered tongue. She wanted to slap the sheer stupid out of him for even doing something so brash and crazy and life threatening, she wanted to actually offer her healing to the wounds but most of all she was worried for the moron!

He flopped and she steamed like a pot under the surface. "For slaggin sakes you're a bloody idiot!" was the only thing that could come out in a understandable manner.

Whirling around on her feet, she stormed right out of the house muddled and whirlwind emotions in full throttle. She booted a rock across the yard at an alarming speed knocking hard like a arrow shot to the stables startling the horses. How could he be so stupidly reckless! And what was that about caring about her enough not to make her upset. Wasn't it more than a little late for that?

"Ugh!" she wanted to just beat the stuffing out of something and she wanted to cry like an idiot to the whole stupid thing. "Reckless! Stupid! How could he- I mean really out of all the- Out of all the ways- I can't even think straight!"

Hands shot up, "I'm done, just done! No more, not wasting my breath, not wasting my time, not wasting anything worrying over someone who is too careless to even think about his actions." her fingers pinched to her brow. "Goddess just strike me down."

"Jeez I think the whole town can hear you having a tantrum out here." Eyes popped open whipping around to look at him, holding something she wasn't even sure she was impressed with or disgusted with. "Come on now," he motioned his neck away from the house. "You can tell me all about it."

"Won't Kauity be upset with you not being home?"

Jak's brow lifted, "Is it going to take that long."

"It might, I still have to scream at you for being a jerk." Jak chuckled at her warm and full of life. Why she did it she had no idea, burying her face into his chest arms circled around her letting the soft hushing noises attempt to calm her disorganized ire. "I hate this... hate caring, hate worrying, hate it all, Jak." resting his chin on her head he smirked softly to himself letting her do something that she seemed to be building behind her exterior; letting the woman sob.

~~~~~~

Sitting on the side of the large open porch wrapping around the house, Jak hummed as she had outright refused to return home for the past three days. Though he was quite annoyed himself upon hearing that the Prince had taken his wolven lurkers out to slaughter centaurs on the fronts. It would have to be addressed.

Handing her a bowl of fruit, he plopped down beside her. "Mama has asked us to come home for dinner." he started, she hummed not overly talkative the last bit chewing on a piece of mango. "It might be a nice change of scenery."

Worn gaze settled to him, "Is he going to be there?" he frowned and nodded which caused her to stick out her tongue and return to eating.

"I'll be there to keep him from attacking you, so will Kauity." she hummed, shrugged and muttered something beneath her breath. "He wants to meet your husband."

"Then send him there by himself, I'm not going if either of them are going to be there." she snapped quickly. "I don't want to deal anymore with idiots."

"You're being an idiot." Jak reminded her, "Childish too."

"Shut up."

To his regret, Nik had fallen asleep when she left, fatigue pulling at him so that he couldn't even think straight anymore. He woke the evening of the second day to discover that Lyra hadn't come back and while it concerned him, he hadn't been worried. She'd been mad when she left and just like he retreated when he needed to think, she seemed to leave when she was angry. Still, when she didn't return the next day, he grew more concerned and actually searched for her. When he found out she'd gone to stay with Jak, the worry eased a little, but the missing her...that didn't.

He hadn't really realized how much her presence had calmed him, how much he'd liked hearing her grumble to herself and the sight of her in the kitchen in the morning. He missed being able to see her outside with the horses and hear her demand that he help her instead of gawking like a wee tot. He missed her voice and her frowns and her smiles. Nik did his best to keep distracted, but he found there was only so much he could do before he started thinking about her again.

Was this what falling for someone felt like? Or was it this way only when they didn't return the feelings? Or was he just missing a friend? Gah, he didn't know anymore and he hated it. Nothing made sense, not even his own thoughts. He was both remorseful for doing what he'd done, making her worry and making her angry, but then...he also didn't regret it at all. He couldn't apologize in good conscience if he didn't actually mean it fully.

He had a feeling she wouldn't care to hear it anyway and when Nik found out that he was to have dinner with her family that night, father included, the halfbreed felt nothing but a sinking feeling. Stars, he was headed into hell, wasn't he? So thinking, the male ran his hand through his hair and went back inside as the messenger left. Might as well start getting ready.

Kauity scowled at him standing between him and Lyra, one hand firm to her hip as the other had been pointing right out the door. "Darling,"

"Fix it." was all the words his wife said leaving him wanting to pull out his hair. She wouldn't budge an inch until he sighed trying to give her a look in hopes that she wouldn't want him to be involved and failed rather quickly when a fiery glare was through at him. With that he was finding himself pushing open the door to the house - not knocking, he never did- and letting it shut tightly enough to cause noise to filter through the house.

"Nik?" he beckoned into the house, he might not have cared about entering house uninvited but he wasn't about to go looking through it to find his brother in law.

Status
Not open for further replies.