Change of Heart

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Well, that wouldn't be beneficial to anyone now, would it?"

Nik smiled as he came up behind her, knowing she hated how quiet he was and actually feeling a bit mischievous about it. His talk with Nyaisah had put him in a better mood and the grass swayed beneath him, bending to touch him as he passed and he chuckled inwardly at it, feeling the wind tug happily on his long hair. He'd given up on thinking about cutting it. The wind thoroughly protested the idea and he never seemed to remember about it until it was a nuisance.

The halfbreed approached in a confident way and he simply took a seat beside her, drawing one knee up and resting his arm on it, giving her a glance. He'd wanted to see her and instead of fighting with himself over it this time, second-guessing, he'd just decided to do it. Now he looked back over the city, content to just be by her side. "How have you been?"

Shielding her eyes from the sun turning to look back at the voice that moved without sound, Lyra rolled her eyes. "It might be give me more time to dwell on my thoughts." she had a bit of a snark to the comment.

Though she had to admit it was finally nice to see the man instead of him creeping all around her house like a stalker. It was cute at first but it was starting to make her worry and press further on the ideas in her head that she didn't want to over think.

Still, she kept the flutter of her heart silent even as she watched, dropping her gaze to comb slender fingers through her bangs. Eyes pressed closed she let out a haggard sigh. "Decent I suppose. Many encumbering thoughts dragging upon my mind. Nothing too impressive or worth talking about I assure you." thin slits opened letting the lashes flutter before she drew a struggling gaze to him, the reflection of a yearning still there but a fear to let it beyond that ensnaring it. "Can I ask you something since I'm not in the frame of partition," shoulders hunched, "Why are you still trying? My father corrected the marriage because I had asked him too, you were given the freedom from having to have me be that burden that had outside sources attack your mind and now you are here trying little tricks and such hoping that I come back to you." she started to speak more than she had in quite some time. "Nik I'm afraid alright, terrified of getting close to you again and honestly I'm not sure I can. I don't enjoy being that fault that allows people to break you so easily. I don't want to be the protector anymore, I've discovered many things here that I finally can understand about myself. And-" she turned away some, tightening her fingers around her forehead, "I find I am becoming very drawn to Rune as well. You two are so completely different, polar opposites. Where you're passive, he is aggressive. Where he is ill tempered, your composed. You are caring, sensitive enough to do little things that make someone smile and Rune is strong, passionate in what he wants from someone. I don't know why I am telling you this, so don't ask. It's just been sitting on my chest, and I don't know what to do." Lyra sighed softly, "It might be easier if you hated me for what I've done, then you could move on and just forget about everything I've caused and all the pain you had to endure."

He smiled to see her more like herself, but when she started to speak the smile faded to be replaced by a serious expression as he listened. He recognized the emotion in her eyes, but didn't react on it yet, hearing what she had to say first. When she was done he remained quiet for a time, thinking over the words he wanted to say - not because he didn't know what to say but because he wanted to say it cohesively.

"I'm still trying because I love you. Simple as that. And I will keep trying, in whatever way I need to, until you make a definite decision." He met her eyes evenly then, holding nothing back, not the love he felt or the passion that burned deep within him, something he didn't let out because he was unsure how it would be received. Whether anyone liked it or not, he had never been in a situation like this and so he wasn't always sure what to do. That didn't mean he didn't try, though, making mistakes and then correcting them again as he learned.

"As for you; you're not a burden. You never were. That's a label you put on yourself, not me. I was attacked, yes, multiple times and by the same people but that wasn't your doing and to take responsibility for that is stupid. And you're wrong, I didn't break. I suffered and I struggled, but they never broke me. If they had I wouldn't be here. I'd be doing what they want me to do. You didn't cause any of this. They could have just as easily have targeted the wolves in your place." Nik shook his head and snorted slightly in exasperation as he looked away and back to the city. "No, Lyra, you're the best thing that ever happened to me. You showed me that I didn't have to be what everyone said I was and even if you decide to go off with the demon, I won't stop loving you."

Blue-black eyes looked back to her, feral and gentle both in turns. "Did it ever occur to you that maybe I take such a gentle approach with you not because I don't feel the urge to press you back against a wall and kiss you until you beg to breathe, but because I want more from you than just your body? A true relationship is built on more than passion and I would never have you think that I loved you only for your body. I love your mind, your spirit first, Lyra and then I worship your body."

Pinning the tapered ears back, resting her chin upon her knees she hummed softly to him. Listening intently, absorbing what he was saying trying to rattle it through her muddled mind. She knew he was speaking his truth but it was still a hard pill to swallow. It was far easier to beat and defend against an enemy that was out in front of her, rather than defending against herself.

Letting her own gaze met with the once upon a time pale eyes now darker, she nodded. "I got that, thanks." She did understand it all and it would be difficult for her to swallow to fully digest. Pressing her hands to the ground pushing herself up, she stopped briefly. "Don't think I'm being crude or nothing, but... it's nice to be appreciated for what's in my skull and my spirit but it's also nice to know you are willing to achieve another level of love with someone you want to spend your life with. Love for the body has nothing to do with it, it's the intimacy that is the factor. It's connecting on another level." she nodded shortly not looking to him, "I'll see you later or probably not since you sneak around my home to leave your notes and such, so... read you later." crossing the distance to the house letting herself draw in, closing the door. She sighed softly to herself. At least he was honest and laid out the cards on the table for her, that she appreciated but it certainly didn't make it any easier.

Well, that hadn't been an outright rejection.

Nik sighed and got up, dusting himself off before he headed back home. He thought over Lyra's words carefully as was his nature and now by himself, he could. She was right. He'd not expressed in any way that he was attracted to her in at a primal level. He'd let her past dictate what he did with her. Was Lyra telling him now that the fact that she'd been molested and used by someone, and the fact that she was very young in elven years not matter to her anymore? Somehow he didn't believe that. But maybe there was an in-between state he was not yet seeing.

The halfbreed stopped in the street, frowning as he stared at nothing. What in the world was he doing? He'd walked away from her once, he wasn't doing it again.

Nik turned back to the house and knocked on the door, feeling anything but nervous anymore. If he was going to win her heart, then he needed to stop hesitating. And if he was going to lose her, at least he would have known he'd tried his damn hardest to keep her. Such thoughts flashed quickly in his head as the door was answered and Nik said nothing. He just moved toward her, pressing her against the door forcefully, but not enough to hurt her as his lips met her own in a searing, claiming kiss. She had been his and as far as he was concerned, she still was. His fingers delved into her blond hair, inhaling her scent, tasting her like she was the most exotic wine he'd ever sampled.

And then Nik pulled back, holding her face in his hands for just a moment. "I love you and I will fight for you."

He walked away then, not expecting a response and not needing it. He'd said his peace.

Last edited:
She barely got to register that he had been at the door - actually surprised he didn't just sneak in with his silent feet and did what he had been doing; finding herself a little overwhelmed but enthralled. It was something she was actually almost certain he didn't possess, that strong endearing take that left her confused looking to him but very impressed. It shook her heart effectively as she watched him say his peace and just as quickly leave.

Clearing her throat, rubbing her head she let out a softer laugh at her own expense. Leave it to him to do something like that and leave her with wondering her action was.

Nik didn't sneak around anymore - though, he did still leave notes on the door. If he wanted to bring Lyra something, then he did it, handing it to her and explaining why he'd gotten it for her. He told her about his days and usually let her know what he had planned for the next. He asked how her training was going. For his part, it was becoming more natural to be around her again even as it was fine for him to be away from her, too. Sometimes he left their visits like that, and other times, when she least expected it, he'd pull her close, and kiss or nip at her neck or her lips, whichever was closest, whisper that he loved her and then leave, sometimes quick if he had to be somewhere and other times languidly. It wasn't every time, wasn't every day. He did it when he felt like it and he stopped worrying what she might think of it. She hadn't told him to stop yet and she was the one who expressed the desire for intimacy and passion. Nik was fully capable of both. He'd only been resisting the impulses for so long because he thought he was supposed to.

Not he was simply letting instinct guide him, doing his best not to over-think it and suddenly he felt in balance again.

So it was that he found himself out in the fields with Tesna today. She'd noted his increase in calm and control and while she'd not commented on the reason for it, she had suggested a spar. The halfbreed had readily accepted and now he found himself rolling away from a water attack and springing back up to blast eight swirling fireballs at the female, each one coming from a different angle. He could hear her curse even from this distance as she took out five in rapid succession, ducked one to let it hit the earth, batted away another with a water shield and then yelped as the last hit her in the back. Nik made a fist immediately, putting the flames out, leaving nothing but some charred patches in her clothing as she rose.

"Ow."

The male approached, helping her up. "You all right?"

A grin answered. "Fine." She looked behind her and grimaced. "Damn, I think you were cheating, Arkne."

Nik laughed and moved back, blue fire rippling docilely along his arms and pure mischief in his eyes. It had been a while since he'd just had a friendly spar. Even in training with the Elementals it had been a brutal thing; a learn or risk being scarred by a blast of fire for life sort of thing. They were aggressive and mistakes were costly, but thinking quick on your feet taught one how to survive even in hard situations and they'd taught him his own kind of mediation between sparring. The combination had done wonders for Nik. "You're the one who challenged me, remember?"

"Of course, it's all my fault." Tesna rolled her eyes, but water began to gather in her palms and she grinned just as widely - if not as wildly - as the halfbreed did as they once more started to dance.

Last edited:
Plopping herself down taking a deep drink of the water offered, Rune sighed as he seemed to do the same. Honestly he hadn't been as fully into the sparring as she seen him. No he seemed rather exhausted the last while and she had a good reason to understand why.

"You're getting a better hold of your demon side, soon I doubt you'll need anymore training." he mumbled ruffling back the thick navy almost black hair, "Which might not be a bad thing, you're seriously cutting into my merc time. How else is a guy suppose to make some coin?"

"I don't know," she grinned playfully, "By getting an honest occupation."

"I had an honest occupation," his gaze narrowed drastically at her, "And you know that. Things change and people have to change with it otherwise risk being overwhelmed." she nodded letting her smile soften. She knew more about Rune than she spoke about, probably because it was hard to believe this demon had been in such a place before. He wasn't much older than her, barely a few years and yet... he had gone through more than more knew. Actually she had been surprised about it when her father told her that Rune had been married himself, and not only that, had a daughter. The operative word was had in both sentences.

She hadn't said much to the reason why Rune was despising the elemental half that was doing an eventful job at keeping her guessing and keeping her interested into what sort of quirks he would hit her with next, she learned that Rune had actually had that gentle side was well. Aura, his wife had been an elemental as well. It was maybe three years ago now when he was earning his living with being a blacksmith over his mercenary capabilities when his wife had been attacked by other elementals, not only murdering her - for what reasons, he never said. She guessed he didn't know- but slaughtered his daughter. It was horrifying and it built a keen hatred for him towards other elementals. He didn't trust them and he certainly didn't trust Nik. She understood why now, more than she ever had. He was fearing that Nik would turn and try to dispose of her. Didn't help that she had mentioned that the red woman in his head had wanted him to do that.

Screwing the lid back onto the canteen; azure eyes met pale blue before he smirked somewhat. "What?" he wasn't nearly as bad as she first thought. Rune was still pretty increasingly aggressive but he was protective in the light of being a demon.

She shook her head, "Nothing." Tapered ears lifted as he made a tipping motion of his head that she was to get up and walk with him. Doing as he motioned, they wandered somehow out into the open spaces before Rune was the one who stopped and narrowed his gaze to the two motion, jolting around pairs in the grass.

Nik and the other woman, she barely caught her name or didn't remember it. They were sparring, Rune's gaze turned dark as he crossed his arms. "Elementals." he muttered.

Tesna had heard about people like Nik. People who had control over every element - Elementai they were called - but she'd never seen one. Legend had it that they were only born every couple hundred years and no more than one existed in the world at a time. Now, whether that was true...who was to say, but she'd certainly never met anyone who'd seen an Elementai and information about them was coveted by the Five Elementals, the highest ranking in power. They were people others sought to control or gain the loyalty of for their power and the potentials it could reach.

The First Elemental had been the one in Nik's head. He'd foolishly believed that Nik could be manipulated into coming to them and becoming one of them, but it hadn't worked that way. The First Elemental was dead now for his arrogance, the halfbreed had seen to that. In all technicality, that made Niklomaus the First Elemental, but he'd not taken the post. The Second Elemental had taken the place of the First and Nik had been left to go his own way if he wished. He'd stayed, though, learned from them and they in turn had been drawn closer to him. Tesna was young, but she was also observant enough to know that Nik would never trust them. He would use them just as they would him, but he'd never be one of them, not completely. He was a creature unto himself and his power was an even wilder part of him, not willing to be tamed even by its keeper.

Still, the halfbreed had made leaps and bounds in learning control and Tesna, being as young as she was, was rather grateful for it as she dodged fire streams that she knew were not at full speed or full intensity. Nik was playing with her and she knew it. He had been ever since they started and she'd not been able to hit him once, much to her frustration, but not surprise. It was he who was giving her the workout and the teen was determined to learn everything she could.

They were both covered in dirt and grass stains, sweat soaking Tesna's shirt and rolling down Nik's skin as they watched each other, circling, striking, avoiding, deflecting and striking again. The Elementai sent her blow back with the minimal amount of fire he could risk, challenging himself a bit and the younger water female wrinkled her nose in mock distaste. "Show off!"

Nik laughed. "Not my fault you lack intensity! Come, Tes, you're slowing down."

Another waterball came, a bit off-center and Nik stepped aside, raising a brow as the teen huffed and stilled, putting her hands on her knees as she bent to catch her breath. "I'm tired." The halfbreed cocked his head, a half-smile on his face. "I see." Tesna looked up at the tone in his voice and her eyes widened at the smirk spreading across his face. She started to back up. "No. No, no, no, no, no....ARKNE!" The last bit was a shriek as she was doused with water from behind, completely soaked through and dripping and Nik burst out laughing before he took off, Tesna hot on his heels and yelling threats.

Last edited:
Crossing his arms snorting hard at the whole thing, Rune took a distaste to the elemental's quarrel. "It's nothing but frolicking around like a pair of children." a hand cuffed out at them as she could see his point. They had been sparring in more of an aggressive sort, trying to one up - or she was- the other. This seemed calm and playful instead.

His gaze only darkened further when he watched Nik go running away from the female as if they were more than what they were, Lyra knew he was actually insulted by how they were sparring. Growling lightly, he turned to look at her something sparking in those eyes that she wasn't sure how she felt about. He smirked, nodded and jumped down the part of the hill they had been watching from skidding down. "Come," his tone turned haunted as she followed quickly as Rune slowed his stance tucking his hands into his pockets putting on the gleam of a grin. "Is this how elementals fight? Did we miss the singing and rolling around in the grass too?" she felt her chin being lifted up gently as Rune raised a brow, "We missed the kittens playing darling, and that's the creature you were married too. And I thought I had to be worried for a moment."

Rune was annoyed, she could tell that and now he was going to make this personal but how personal she was still unsure.

Nik slowed to a halt at seeing the two demon halfbreeds and when Rune started speaking, he sighed inwardly and rolled his eyes outwardly, looking almost bored as he listened. And truthfully, he was. You'd think this male would have something better to do than pick fights he didn't have to pick and come up with some better insults at least. The Elementai held up a hand slightly when Tesna looked like she'd speak, furious at the insult and she stayed silent, glaring, but trusting he knew what he was doing.

Nik crossed his arms, pose deceptively relaxed and calm. "No, this isn't how we fight. It's how two friends can pass the time. You weren't asked to watch, weren't asked to comment and if you didn't like what you saw, you could have availed yourself to the other direction. You still can. This was Elemental business, not demon and it doesn't require a demon's input, and it never will. I don't much care if it didn't live up to your standards." What WAS this guy's problem? This hadn't even involved him and it hadn't been on his turf either!

Pale blue eyes glanced at Lyra then and back to Rune, a brow raising and a smile growing as his eyes darkened around the edges. "However, if you'd actually like a fight, I'm happy to oblige." More than happy. It would give him a challenge and he hadn't had that in a while.

"Friends, right." Rune smirked before listening to the elemental speak though he watched as Lyra seemed to wilt taking his insults very well. She was still a demon as well and in how he spoke, he was commenting on part of her as well. That went better than he hoped. Elemental business right? Not demon, perfect low blow.

Rune gave her a softer look as Lyra shook her head. Putting his hands up in defense, Rune smirked darkly. "No your right, its elemental business. Suppose us demons will take ourselves elsewhere." Rune tilted his head to her as Lyra nodded along. It would have been better for Nik to actually strike out at her, it wouldn't have stung as long. "A fight with you, sorry but I doubt either of us could oblige. You made it very clear that demons weren't welcome here." Rune slipped his grip around her waist as Lyra seemed to give into it more than before.

He gave a mock polite wave, "You two enjoy yourselves now,"

"You're right, I said a demon's input wasn't needed or welcomed here. Not your skill and as far as I can tell, you're only part demon. I never said elves weren't allowed their input, but then again, they seem to be a bit more fair with theirs."

He could play this game just as well as Rune. And while he knew he'd hurt Lyra's feelings, he also knew that to apologize now would mean nothing to her, especially if Rune twisted his words once more. Nik hadn't meant anything against Lyra and later he could explain that to her. Hell, she'd said a great deal about dungeon dwellers and how horrible Sidhe were without expecting him to take offense even though that was part of his heritage. He heard insults and quips about humans all the time and that was part of him, too. He hadn't meant the insult toward her and he wasn't going to act like he had.

Nik gave Rune a hard look, not the least bit intimidated. "So when you're done playing your games, you let me know. I'm sure you know where to find me." This time it was Nik who started away, more than fed up with this half-demon and his crap. What Lyra saw in him was beyond Nik to comprehend.

Chuckling at his comment, he turned to look at Nik carefully, in control matching his own. This little creature was hardly worth a hill of salt. His comments were half assed a best, pathetic at worse.

"No your right Nik, very right. But I'm never done playing games that matter, especially when they come to your ex. See the best thing about playing games, it keeps the mind sharp. But I'm fairly certain you know that otherwise you wouldn't be running and jumping around with your water elemental." Lyra stopped to look at him as she caught something she knew wasn't a good idea. Rune was starting to tap into his demon pool as she quickly latched to his side.

"Don't Rune."

His gaze narrowed to her nodding carefully before he yawned stretching. "Should we return to our own sparring?" Lyra nodded, "Or," usually wide pupils shot to a thin state as she seen Rune shoot Nik a final look. "Actually Lyra, I think it's time you took on an opponent who is new though I doubt you will have trouble with him."

Lyra blinked drawing her gaze downwards, "No. It'll be a waste of time for Nik to spar with me, it'd be far too easy for him."

Rune nodded as he shrugged it off. "You judge your own talents princess, doesn't matter to me. Just means you'll stay with me that much longer."

Ah, now he knew what Rune was driving at. Nik's eyes narrowed as he looked between Lyra and the male, glancing at Tesna who was still seething, but quiet. She shook her head slightly, thinking this was a horrible idea and Nik smiled just a bit at the teen, jerking his head slightly in an order for her to get a safe distance away. She gave him a scathing glare, but did as he wanted, bristling as she passed Rune before he continued on her way. She was far too young for something this tense and potentially violent and while she didn't like that fact, she did like that Nik was looking out for her.

The halfbreed himself had turned to face the two again, arms still crossed and he merely waited for them to make up their minds. His eyes narrowed at Rune's last comment and the desire to knock the half-demon on his ass was a strong one, but he refrained. Barely. His attention went to Lyra then, waiting. He wasn't going to pressure her one way or another. She'd make her own decisions, even if she seemed to be horrible at doing so at this point in her life. She didn't seem to know her own mind anymore and it was becoming ridiculous how quickly she flipped from one male to the other at a whim. She couldn't have them both so she was going to have to choose one or the other - or neither at all- and before Rune and he came to true violence would probably be good.

Still, it was her decision and Nik only stood quietly, his blackening eyes challenging and his body ready even if it didn't look like it. He knew she could do it, but in this ONE thing, Rune was right; she needed to realize it for herself and stop hesitating over it so much.

Again she shook her head. "No." was her flat answer. She knew she could probably do alright against that of Nik but something in her head was just screaming at her not too. So much in the recent time had lowered the inhibition to want to go into a fight, especially when she wasn't keen on harming someone. Though it appeared Nik could have cared less, how he was watching she narrowed her gaze.

Rune nodded not seeming to be irritated with her choice but rather gave her an appreciative nod. "I'll respect your choice," his tone turned unusually gentle, making it clear he was not nearly as bad as he could be. Lifting his sights upwards, looking towards the general distance of the sun Rune turned his back. "It's almost noon anyways, we can retired back to my place for now." he shot Nik a lasting look, he knew where Lyra's decision was going. "Have fun Nik,"

Looping his grasp around her waist he nudged her gently as she offered up a sort of sorrowful glance but it was appreciated. She didn't want to fight Nik really, - she did and she didn't. He had changed, become stronger and it showed. It made her nervous and fidget. Perhaps it would be best to stop dwelling on her choices and finally settle with someone more like herself. It would be the best for him, to be with the female elemental than her. They just.... weren't compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.