Change of Heart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arrah looked after the younger elf with a slight smirk. "Well, that went rather wonderfully."

Her comment was lost on Nik as he stood abruptly from the table and practically flew outside after Lyra. He wanted to be boiling with rage, but all he could feel with an intense irritation and frustration with the stubborn, know-it-all, seemingly coldhearted elf he'd been forced to marry. He came upon her in the stables and without waiting for her to even turn - if she would acknowledge him at all - started speaking.

"What is your problem?! You don't even know me and yet you're so convinced I am nothing but crap on the bottom of your boot! You've done nothing but make assumptions since the day we met and I'm more than sick of it! I'm not a damn stonehearted, prissy, can't-even-think-unless-I have-a-sword-in-my-hand-elf! Stop expecting me to be one! I'm not! I never will be and goddess knows you've given me absolutely no reason to want to be one!" He'd started to yell outright by the end of it, but Nik didn't care as his pale eyes blazed with anger he could now feel perfectly fine.

"Why is kindness and family and love and compassion so disdained by your species, by my species!? What is WRONG with all of you!? I don't NEED someone to 'hold my hand', you self-righteous b***ch! But even you spend time with your brother and your mother! Why is my desire to know one effing person in this god-forsaken city has my back so horrible?! It's not like I can trust any of you!"

Okay, maybe not the best way to handle things, but....oh well.

Scrapping the pitch fork across the ground, removing the sticky hay from the bottom; she was hardly even expecting him to come out this way, let alone start hashing into her. She'd never admit it, never in a million years but many of his words stung deep though she kept her back to him busying her hands.

Slowly she stalled her movements perching the fork to that of the ground, throwing a look across her shoulder letting the tears settle clear and evident with the flushed red of her cheeks. Looking him up and down, not even the stone hard look she held usually sat there; even as much as she frown at him it didn't rest there.

Giving another look over, she turned back to her work, no argument to follow up with him. No cursing, she merely tended back to her chore.

Dammit all to hell! WHY were women so freaking complicated!?

Nik stood there for a long moment, feeling like the biggest ass imaginable and yet struggling with the anger that he also felt had rightly flared. Why was it fine for her to insult him, ridicule him and otherwise demean him, but the moment he returned the favor...it was wrong? Just his luck in the universe most likely. The halfbreed sighed softly after awhile and his temper cooled as he drew closer to Lyra and risking her ire, reached out and touched her wrist, stilling her movement, though, he didn't grab her.

"Aelyra...I don't want to fight with you. I will, if that is what you want, I don't fear to, but it brings me no joy."

He watched her face, unsure how his words might be received, but having to try. "I didn't mean my harsh words toward you and I spoke wrongly in anger. I know you to be strong, brave and smart. I know Mothis and Miralyn adore you and there has to be a reason for that. I know your horses speak highly of you and...you have the respect of everyone I have ever seen you interact with. I am sorry if my words hurt you."

Nik stepped back then and instead leaned against the stall wall, looking up to the ceiling and the rafters there. "You simply confuse me is all."

Actually she was just hoping he would blow his top and leave, but apparently he found sticking around to be more interesting. Pausing her movements, she didn't make much of a sound or a sway when he reached out, though ears were twitching enough to show she was listening.

"You meant those words Nik and you know it." she kept her tone soft casting her gaze upon the floor; "My apologizes though for being so gruff and temperamental, as much as I hate this forced union I do know my actions are uncalled for." she began to scrap again; "It is not your job to understand me, nor do I have any desire to keep you to a standard that is beneath what you want." she nodded solemnly, "I don't open to others for very good reasons, and unfortunately for you, you are caught in my fray." Lyra tossed a final look across her shoulder, "It would be in your best interest not to be interested in me or my life. It's for your own sanity." she again nodded.

Niklomaus listened closely to her words and to any snatches of emotion he could get with them and finally when she was done, he shook his head and smiled just slightly. He didn't know why, but the fact that she'd actually used his name...made him strangely happy. If only he realized that deep down, he actually wanted her to like him. As it was, he tested her own nickname on his tongue. "Lyra, my sanity left me long ago...if I ever had it and I've never done anything that was in my best interest else I would have run a long time ago. As Arrah said, I'm a bit stubborn." He sighed and stayed exactly where he was, mulling over her apology.

"I didn't mean the insults aimed toward you specifically, but you're right; I did mean the rest and I won't lie and say that I didn't. I can forgive you your demeanor toward me and your words, but you do need to stop thinking you know everything about me just because you might witness something that you can't explain in any other way but to call me weak. I am not an elf and while I don't think your race below me, no matter what I might spew in anger and frustration, I can't be one of you anymore than I could fly. I am different than you, but that doesn't mean that the way I do things are wrong."

He needed to stop lecturing now, he knew that, and Nik glanced at the blond once more. "It might not be my job to understand you, Lyra, but that doesn't mean I can't try. I don't trust other people either and I have my reasons just as you have yours. I am not asking you to be my wife, to fill that role and I will not ask you to reveal more of yourself to me than you are comfortable with, but I am asking that we might at least be comrades for the sake of our people, and our sanity, if not friends."

He tilted his head, white hair brushing across his eyes and promptly ignored. "Would that be so horrible?"

He spoke, she listened eventually stopping to grab a hold of a fresh bale of hay to throw it through the stalls. "I never thought you capable or wanting to be an elf, but from all the tales I've heard of sidhe and such, the fact that you strike out so differently strikes me as unusual. Our races are greatly different but you cannot stand there and tell me that from the tales of elves that you may not be assuming things about myself like I do to you? You did just call me can't-even-think-unless-I-have-a-sword-in-my-hand-elf . We seem like we are power hungry, strength craving monsters but there is certainly more to us than meets the eye. Myself included." She rubbed at her eyes finally trying to stop the emotion from showing there any longer.

"And secondly I can tell you don't trust others. Even that of our own family, that was perfectly evident when they came here yesterday. An aura says more about a person than sometimes they can. You dislike the way they treat you and in turn you wish to seek a private refuge, which is why I can venture a guess you have your body guards around." Moving away to perching her elbows against the bars of the stables, Noble's nose pushed in looking for something to eat, she brushed her face against his. "You ask a lot expecting me to be friends, you noted it that I am well respected in this town but friends is not something I can afford. It leaves weakness open for those to gouge and rent. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but can you honestly stand there and tell me that you think we are even capable of it? We varying greatly, and I know others consider me heartless and cold. It suits me fine, it means less are allowed into my realm to prey upon parts of myself that I wish never existed."

Nik mulled her words over and in the same fashion as she'd replied to him - calm and bluntly - he replied to her. "Actually, that particular insult was aimed at your race as a whole, not you. Which isn't much better, I concede and fine, I was wrong to assume anything about you when I don't want you to do the same to me. Fair point." He moved around as she had to view the horse behind him, Heaven's Merge, and reached out to pet her flank, smiling just a little when she nickered softly to him in greeting, remembering him from the night before.

"As for why I am different from the rest of my kin and why I despise my family...that's a tale for another time, for a friend to hear. And I am not going to apologize for leaning on the few people I can trust. You speak of being an island, but to me that is not strength. An island can be easily pulled under the waves and ripped apart by a storm whereas a beach, while constantly fighting against the water, has the rest of the shore and lands beyond to back it up."

He looked over at her, hoping to catch Lyra's eyes, but knowing very well he might not and accepting that, too. It was a miracle she was even speaking to him as she was and he would take that over the fighting and insults any day. "I risk a lot asking you to be friends, but yes, I do think it possible. I think if we put any kind of effort into trying to understand one another as we do in insulting and demeaning one another, we could accomplish a lot more than we think."

Such had been the problem with their two races for years upon years. Such was the cause of multiple wars and old wounds of hatred. Misunderstanding, assumptions, entitlement and the unwillingness to at least try to get along.

"I am not asking you to care about me, Lyra. I'm simply asking that you be civil to me and don't judge me before you've at least spent some time with me that doesn't involve trying to knock me on my ass."

Her brow puckered letting her gaze shut briefly before reopening and holding his gaze. "Are you really that optimistic or are you just trying to stay on my quieter side?" She couldn't grasp his idea of the island and beach the way she knew she should. Oh she understood it but letting another try and back said person up, it left her uneasy. Open. Vulnerable and something she wasn't capable of doing. She relied on one and she fought with him effortlessly as well; but he was her brother. He was there when it all came out...

Shaking her head, she blinked to him and started to laugh, "You were the one who wanted to spar with me if I recall correctly and ever so thoughtfully wanted to knock me on my hind end. In fact, I think I recall a smart mouth saying; Or do I have to find someone else to do your ass-kicking for you? Though I was impressed with you managing to keep your own and break a rib or a few of mine. Shows aspiring talent, reckless but talent." the pierced brow lifted to him, Noble turned to push Heaven in turn to search for something to snack on that possibly he had, idle fingers slipped through the vast length of her hair. "What is it you wish me to do to be civil other than spending time with you? Though that would mean not sleeping in a tree and actually surviving in my abode." oh yes she heard about him sleeping in a tree from her wards.

Nik chuckled at her initial remark and looked away. "Definitely trying to stay on your quieter side." he half-teased softly, but then looked back at her as she continued, finding that when she laughed - and not mockingly - she was far more beautiful than when she was being cruel. He gave her a side-smile at her words and nodded slowly. "True, I did want to knock you over, but I still think that was your desire before it was mine." he quipped back and for a moment, he could almost see how they might be friends. This was bickering, playful almost and it definitely had a different feel to it than angry snarling.

He wondered if he could grow to like it coming from Lyra and if he could expect it to ever happen again in the future. He wasn't going to count on that last bit just yet. As for her actual compliment...Nik wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

"I know I need a lot of work. Most of what I learned was...self-learned and werewolf-learned." He shrugged a bit, not really worried about it and he gave her a side-glance, still not really ready to face her full on lest something in this magical spell of relative peace be shattered. "I don't wish anything of you besides some tolerance. I have told you that I don't expect you to be my wife in any sense of the word and I meant it. I don't want you to change your lifestyle or yourself, Lyra. I'll I want is for the chance to maybe get along."

Her last comment made him clear his throat and look away. The fact that she didn't seem to realize that he shouldn't be sleeping at all was good, but the fact that she knew he'd slept in a tree...not so good. A bit embarrassing actually. "I didn't think I'd be welcome...at least not on the first night and I didn't want to make you anymore uncomfortable than you already were...and frankly, I didn't want to endure anymore venomous bites from you." He shrugged a bit, not ashamed of that fact.

Last edited:
Cupping a hand to her cheek watching casually she raised her brow at him further when he was making perfect sense to her the night prior. "Uncomfortable was the reception and dinner the night prior. And my venomous bites are part of my charm, deadly and effective." leaning back stretching out with a yawn, feet dragged against the planks of the floor.

"Well if we are going to play nice and try to keep me from biting anymore as you so elegantly put it dear husband, then you better stop shying away. If you want this to work, that means speaking your mind and finally," Lyra walked up towards him looking upwards with a sort of curious stare; "Let me know of your injuries next time. I am certain Arrah seen to them already. I never did properly thank you for tending to mine, though you honestly did not have too. Breaking ribs and bones are part of the profession. Though on that subject, you seem to be struggling with your healing aspect." Lyra moved away, "If you care to learn further about it, I would be happy to teach you how to manage your healing aspects." A tossing look across her shoulder, she nodded. "I need to attend to the dishes inside, take your time in returning, Nik."

He looked after her in silence, a silence that didn't ring uncomfortably anymore and he didn't move from his spot for many minutes, thinking on what she said. Stop shying away. He did that, didn't he? He knew he did and he knew why, but that didn't mean that it was any less the wrong approach to take with Lyra. It would be difficult for him, though. He wasn't a coward, but...he was selective with courage, too. If he could remain quiet and get out of trouble faster than he could fight and get out of trouble, he would choose the former. She was right, though. If he wanted to get anywhere with the elves, he had to start actually believing that they weren't like his kin.

Maybe if he gave them that chance, they'd give him one. Maybe.

He wouldn't know until he tried and he wanted to try. It was ridiculous how much he now wanted to try if only for Lyra to look at him like that again, with something other than disdain or anger. Odd how he actually cared about that now. Probably a shift in mentality knowing he was now stuck here. He had always been adaptable. Though, speaking of injuries...that was probably going to be far more difficult than speaking his mind and wait....had she actually offered to teach him something?

--

Arrah was still seated inside when Lyra came back into the house and the old elf stood slowly as their eyes met. She only smiled, though, and with a few steps had come close enough to give the younger elf a hug. It was simple, but spoke volumes to the fondness she actually held for Lyra and she pulled back after a moment, holding her arms gently. "I am proud of you. You two will be better for each other than you can know right now."

With that she gave Lyra's arms a light squeeze and then winked. "Now, be good and don't do anything I wouldn't do." With her signature chortle, she started to go and smiled up at Nik as he appeared in the doorway, patting his arm. "The shame lies with your family, Niklomaus, not you."

She said nothing more, moving out of the house and down the path, and Nik looked after her with a puzzled expression before he turned his eyes to Lyra. "Is she always like that?"

Last edited:
Returning to the house, only to be approached by the elder woman Lyra leaned cautiously away just in case the old biddy tried to thump another cane upon her crown. The more she avoided that the better, her head still hurt. Though she'd take the embrace over the cane anyway, even if she was weary of the old woman.

And then it got awkward. Watching her wink, Lyra pinched her nose. "You are giving me so much room to run free with that statement, what haven't you done!" she came around the counter, stopped gaze him a puzzled look as the woman said something about his family before tilting her head, waved it off with a ah and pulled the hot water from the hearth.

"You don't know the half of it and that," she pointed a finger out the window, "Was her playing nice believe it or not." An idle hand rubbed the top of her head, "I think I still have lumps from her as a kid."

Nik laughed softly at that and looked to the window and then came toward Lyra as she started in on the dishes. "I can believe that." he agreed, rubbing his own head momentarily before simply digging into the dishes as she did. If she gave him a look, he simply pretended not to see it. He wasn't against manual labor and in fact rather liked it so she could just get used to someone helping her with such things while he was around.

When they'd finished the dishes, Nik let Lyra show him where he'd be staying as that seemed natural to do and for the rest of the night, the two pretty much gave each other space, but for the first time, it wasn't hostile space and it wasn't awkward.

It was progress.

--------------------------

Said progress continued into the next two weeks. Nik found that Lyra had eased up in many ways, no longer insulting in every breath and she seemed to be trying to give him the benefit of the doubt in most occasions, but there were times her temper flared and his got the better of him as well. And then there were other times when he failed and reverted back to being quiet and simply taking the verbal abuse. She seemed to get angrier when he did that, though. For the most part, they had grown somewhat comfortable with each other and their new routines. Lyra did her thing during the day and Nik took to the town and various odd jobs that surprised many of the elves when he offered.

Still, it was giving them a different view of him and that alone was increasing his confidence in the fact that they were not like his own people. It also helped that the werewolves didn't come back into the city as Nik took to seeing them in the forest.

He'd not gone back to sparring yet, but his time was about to be taken by a different task altogether. Lyra was finally going to start teaching him to heal and Nik had to admit that he was a bit...nervous about it. Still, when she took him to the edge of the forest behind her home - he still couldn't think of it as theirs - he followed without protest and strangely enough, found it hard to take his eyes off her. Her gold braid swayed behind her back hypnotically and her bare shoulders soaked in the sun overhead, her clothes accentuating feminine curves all the way down to her long legs.

Yeah, he really didn't know what had gotten into him and when they stopped, Nik shook his head to clear it before meeting her azure eyes with pale blue. "Now what?"

Turning right around to face him, she grinned almost too sweetly to him with the question dipping her head to the right, "Basics." reverting back to her smugger smirk, she traced a step back to him poking him in the chest. "You lack discipline for the art of healing, it is not merely a sentiment of summoning up the holy light from your own vessel," finger retract as she pressed her hand to rest over her chest, "It is something that is invoked by devotion, by heart. It is not forced otherwise you succumb to what you had, though a bleeding nose is minor, it strains the body." feet edged around his tall frame, slowly circling him taking a deep consideration of him. Seeming to fit in more and more with her race than previously, the man chose a simple attire for the day though she could hear many of the other women chiding and clucking with silly grins. It was no news that many of the females in the city thought the Prince was quite the catch.

Okay she'd admit after easing back on her venomous bite when she could, she seen it. But that was besides the point!

Clearing her throat, she came around standing directly in front of him again. "Healing is a gift and not all are meant to wield it. It can save lives or it can destroy those undead creatures that sometimes grace us with their unwanted present. Holy magic is un-capture able, you must be able to devote yourself to it and know that you will never hold it longer than what the goddesses grant. It is not ours to hold but we are blessed to wield it. Now," eyes took on a softer gaze, less common but it did occur, "Holy magic demands concentration and no offense to you my dear, but you seem to be distracted easily when you get riled up and lose focus." she tapped the side of her head. "That is dangerous in the course of healing arts, you can corrupt good intentions and harm the injured further than you ever intended. Unless you are fine with blood on your hands, I'd really opt not to let your emotions get the best of you in these moment so," hands clapped loudly as she grinned with a raised brow. "I want you to mediate, but here's the catch."

Lyra leaned inward, "You will have to deal with me trying to distract you. In any way I see fit and you cannot utter a word or move a muscle. We will continue this every other day until you can manage a focus without a single stirring of even a eyebrow." hands wrapped behind her neck standing more weight to one leg over the other, "Mediation is great for any sort of manna based ability, it strengths the bond and teaches resistances. You've probably seen me doing the same thing out in the open fields when I can." she shrugged, "I am one hell of a ice wielder, boasting absolutely implied as I am the only ice user in this entire city. Elves are generally light magic or no magic. I am a rare exception but I was taught from the humans when I lived with them for a few years. But I still need to mediate to keep the balance of myself and my magic in sync otherwise it brings chaos and will not be controlled. But I digress," she nodded shortly, "Will you accept what I am offering, all distractions included?"

So far he was following her words and Nik watched her when she circled, not even flinching when she poked him and he kept his eyes on her own to better gauge her emotions. He understood people better that way because words easily misled and lied. Emotions gave him a clearer picture a great deal of the time. Still, her words were doing a good job today too of keeping his attention and the halfbreed nodded slowly to show her he understood her words when she'd pause. And he did understand them. Whether he thought he could apply them...that was a different matter entirely, but again...he'd try.

He did raise a brow at her talk of distraction, though, and smiled just a bit to hear something about her own power. She shared little things like that sometimes, unimportant things, but it was something of her nonetheless and he respected and remembered every word for that reason. When she finished, Nik tilted his head and seriously thought about it for a moment. Did he actually care about healing this much?

No.

But he did care about a few - very few - people around him and he cared what happened to them. If he couldn't help them one day because he was too emotional or distracted to heal them properly, he'd never forgive himself. And with that in mind, and nothing more than that, the halfbreed answered. "I accept." He didn't guarantee he'd be a good pupil or actually learn anything, but he'd let her try and teach him and he'd do his best. It was all he could offer in return.

Nik closed his eyes for a moment and shook his head. "Though, I have this very bad feeling I'm going to regret accepting." he admitted. And he really was more nervous about it now that he'd committed than before. She had no idea about his past and if she did something that triggered a memory...he didn't know how he'd actually handle that. Still, he couldn't go back now and Nik sighed before opening his eyes again and merely waiting for instruction.

She winked to him, "Such a good man," fingers on her hand twiddled with delight, a bit of unusual mischief before she offered him one of the truly rare genuine smiles she could possess. On that touched her eyes and not just her mouth. Though it faded quickly when he continued on about saying he was thinking he might regret this, Lyra sighed.

"Could you do me a favour and actually try trusting me, as much as you may like to think I am not a monster." her brow rose a keen un-amused nature spread to her.

"Assume an position that you will be able to maintain and will be comfortable to perch in for an hour or more." she turned away from him, letting him situated himself firstly before she would glance back when he was finished. "Now it's simple, try to find your centre point of your entire being. Concentrate and pay no heed to myself," Lyra nodded shortly, 'Not that should be a problem,' she thought silently.

He liked the smile. Really liked the smile, but the words....not so much. Simple she said. Simple. Gah, this elf knew nothing about him. There was nothing simple about finding anything calm inside himself. Calm...calm, did he even actually know what that word meant? Nik had closed his eyes, making it very clear that he had no problem simply standing where he was - and he wasn't going to explain why he could do that so easily - for however long he had to, but finding a center point amidst that chaos that was his mind?

Far harder.

He searched, he really did but the fierce protectiveness and love he felt for the werewolves was not calm at all. His hate for his family wasn't calm. Anger, bitterness, fear....none of it was calm and none of it was his center. Feeling the first fingers of desperation, he started to slip into a blank state he'd learned to master long ago, where nothing registered from the outside world and he could lose himself inside his own head regardless of what was happening to his body. He knew almost instantly it wouldn't work, though, as the first memory that flashed in front of his eyes made them fly open and any concentration he'd had, good or bad, was shattered. He kept his eyes from Lyra, avoiding her gaze as he shut his own again and forced himself to breathe instead. Maybe it was just a simple trick of relaxing.

It seemed to help, but he still wasn't sure he'd found any place of calm yet, though, his body had stilled completely and he found that the world had started to fade of some noise and activity. He'd latched on to a memory, the oldest one he had of feeling safe of all things, of blue eyes, blurred along the edge and inside a face he couldn't really see, looking down at him with a soft expression.

Nik was more than sure it was a memory of his mother, the only one he had.

Watching him choose to remain standing, she approved without a word. It made it easier for her to maneuver around his form, finding more spots to check and prod over him sitting or laying down.

Once she was certain he was trying a little harder than he first started, catching his gaze popping open avoid her own and shutting within a matter of seconds. Lips quirked, fingers drummed over her arms slipping off her own boots knowing that she could move a lot more silently without them. Watching the curious man a lot more carefully since she knew this time she could, nimble feet pressed against the grass winding her course closer to him. A studying gaze locked firm and tight, her lips continued to twist into a grin torn between amusement and mischief.

Starting off here and there, letting slender fingers strum along his ribs in sporadic timing testing to see if he happened to be squeamish or ticklish, she was actually surprised when he didn't twitch. Most men were ticklish over female. When that promptly failed, she moved on and pushed away from him making her distance a lot further than him. She waited a while first before playing a convincing role - she thought- that she had tumbled and required help. Again, he seemed to hold a focus far better than she originally pegged him for.

She had returned closer, trying various other tactics - never doing harm to him knowing far better- she had to admit defeat nearly.

Then came an idea. Giving the man a discerning look over sliding her lip through her teeth, she shrugged easily. If nothing happened, she'd admit defeat to the sidhe with composure. She'd had to put her shoes back on for this, damn his height. When she refitted herself back with the heels, smoothing out the wrinkles of her tunic, she grinned shyly, something he wouldn't see. As much as she was determined to see whether or not he retained a strong will keeping firm in his concentration, her stomach did flip flops. 'It's for training,' she uttered to herself alone.

Letting him stand there without any further distractions for a bit; she made certain to make noise this time. Standing up before him and his calmer demeanour, Lyra blushed gently. It was last resort! Ultimate test!

Dropping her palm to rest against his stomach testing her fingers to pick and chose across his shirt and flesh alike, god she couldn't deny she felt incredible stupid. Reinforcing her thoughts that it was merely to encourage him to keep concentration, she stalled letting her warm breath linger briefly, the waft of vanilla close from her skin; she went in for the proverbial kill. Pressing her own lips to that of his own, lingering for a moment as her face continued to heat into a steady flush; she retracted slowly trying to gauge an reaction.

It had been hard, much harder than Lyra would ever know - he certainly wasn't telling her - to not start at the first contact. It wasn't the location, it was just the contact itself, but after the first jolt of adrenaline that made his pulse spike, he calmed again, keeping his breathing even and steady until his heartrate slowed. He kept it that way and his thoughts under relative control as she tested different areas and then eventually her presence moved away from him. In the time it took her to start making noise again, Nik had actually succeeded in finding some small sliver of calm in his mind. So far he'd been controlling his body, not so much his mind, but now he was starting to get the true purpose of the assignment.

So it was that when she 'stumbled', Nik actually didn't really hear at first and by the time it registered he had time to process that it was most likely faked. She had told him that she'd try to distract him and seeing how that she-elf moved on a regular bases, he was not about to believe that even if she had fallen that she wouldn't get up again. He found it even harder to believe she'd willingly ask for help.

It was rather easy to tune her out again.

The noise she made when she came to stand in front of him barely came through, but the touch on his stomach did and his skin twitched under her palm involuntarily even as his mind stirred, wary of what she actually planned to do. In the end, though, he should have been more wary of her presence near his face and not her hand as he had just enough time to discover her breath upon his own before her lips were connected with his and all calm was completely shattered inside Nik.

He didn't move, not a muscle, not to twitch or shiver or step back. But he looked at her, eyes completely open now as pale blue met her darker hues directly, searching slowly. His emotions were a tangle he didn't have hope of understanding and his body, well, it was easy to tell what it wanted, but Nik was far more interested in what might be going through Lyra's head as he pierced her with a quiet question.

And then some small voice of logic - or perhaps denial? - caught up with him and Nik smiled, the question in his eyes leaving to be replaced with pure amusement. "You win." he said simply.

His gaze opened as she slipped back, pulling back a fair distance with a sheepish grin, "Your focus is solid though, impressive actually. Most fail within a matter of minutes, I have to say you stood there a good fifty before finally breaking concentration." she kept her gaze away from his, fingers snapped only leading her hands into a clapping motion. "Anyways you did very well,"

Lyra corrected her stature straightening her shoulders, "That'll be all for today." Raking back her bangs pinning them to her crown, she cleared her throat. "Uh your free to do whatever, I'll-" Lyra started to walk away trying to get her own organs to stop beating so hard and flopping around like a fish, "I'll see you at dinner, if you wish."

Okay she felt really stupid, incredibly so. It was merely a tactic to see if he broke his concentration and he did, so there was nothing to be so weird and nervous about. Yet that was easier said than done.

Status
Not open for further replies.