Blood Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bullets bombarded the van, the flare lighting up the parking lot as the car alarm went off, adding the shrill noise to the din of gunfire.
"Well, not exactly what I wanted to do but, it'll work." I commented, then closed with the van. I only had a few more shots left, so time to make them count. Once I was close enough to get a guaranteed shot on it, I popped one of my remaining few bullets into the front driver's side tire of the van and made my way around the thing trying to line up a bead on one of the remaining thugs.

@Ringmaster , @ whomever.

UPDATE

In the aftermath of the short skirmish, many of the thugs laid wounded or dead- Victims of the groups powers and skills. All mundane. Normally, one would wonder about this sort of thing and how anyone couldn't have gotten the hint. Surely, there were plenty of witnesses out there, right? Or perhaps there was some mystical veil, manipulated and used to cover the eyes of those we knew as Mundane? Lucifer thought so, once.

And now, he could only laugh at the very idea.

Idly, he remembered as he checked the pulse of a body, what his teacher had once told him...

Flashback.

"There are two things you have to accept if you want to understand what's going on."

Rain sighed inwardly, at the rapt look of attention on her wards face. The curiosity that was going to bite him in the ass, if he ever walked right in without looking where he leaped.

"First the tough one. Magic is real. There's an entire world that exists alongside the everyday life of mankind. There are powers, nations, monsters, wars, feuds, alliances-- everything. Wizards are a part of it. So are a lot of other things you've heard about in stories, and even more you've never heard of. Vampires. Werewolves. Faeries. Demons. Monsters. It's all real."

"...So why don't people know about it?"

"Who says they don't? People have a knack for altering their perception of things, to make it more understandable. For example- You talk to a scientist? He or she tell you that there are people, who have the ability to sense and affect their environment in ways we don't really understand yet, that they can accept. Maybe you call it magic, and someone else calls it ESP, and someone else calls it the Force, but it's not a new idea. Maybe there are people whose genetic makeup makes them better able to employ these abilities. Maybe it even does things like make them reproduce their DNA more clearly than other people so that they can live for a very long time. But that is not the same thing as saying that there's an army of weird monsters living right under our noses and we don't even notice them."

"But what about the remains? Fangs, the- Some of them can't be that blind." Lucifer said with frustration. Rain shrugged in response.

"It's a big universe. It's sort of arrogant to assume that we're the only thinking beings in it- Or a variation thereof. You'll hear that a lot in our line of work. Anyway, the point is boy? Lots of people know about it." She raised a finger in a lecturing pose "But the ones who are in the know don't go around talking about it all that much."

"Why not?"

"Because they don't want to get locked up in a loony bin for three months for observation, for starters." She said dryly.

".....Oh," Lucifer said, flushing. "Yeah. I guess I can see that. What about regular people who see things? Like sightings and close encounters and stuff?"

Rain huffed out a breath. "That's the second thing you have to understand. People don't want to accept a reality that frightening. Some of them open their eyes and get involved. But most of them don't want anything to do with the supernatural. So they leave it behind and don't talk about it. Don't think about it. They don't want it to be real, and they work really hard to convince themselves that it isn't."

"No," Lucifer said. "I'm sorry. I just don't buy that. People can't be as afraid as all that."

"You don't need to buy it," She said. "It's true. As a race, we're an enormous bunch of idiots. We're more than capable of ignoring facts if the conclusions they lead to make us too uncomfortable. Or afraid."

A troubled look crossed his face and Rain sighed out, taking a seat next to him before gesturing to the starlit skies.

"Come on, boy," She said. "Look at history. How long did the scholarly institutions of civilization consider Earth to be the center of the universe? And when people came out with facts to prove that it wasn't, there were riots in the streets. No one wanted to believe that we all lived on an unremarkable little speck of rock in a quiet backwater of one unremarkable galaxy. The world was supposed to be flat, too, until people proved that it wasn't by sailing all the way around it. No one believed in germs until years and years after someone actually saw one. Biologists scoffed at tales of wild beast-men living in the mountains of Africa, despite eyewitness testimony to the contrary, and pronounced them an utter fantasy--right up until someone plopped a dead mountain gorilla down on their dissecting table."

A hip flask was removed from her belt as she took a sip.

"Time after time, history demonstrates that when people don't want to believe something, they have enormous skills of ignoring it altogether."

"You're saying that the entire human race is in denial," he said.

"Most of the time," She replied. "It's not a bad thing. It's just who we are. But the weird stuff doesn't care about that--it keeps on happening. Every family's got a ghost story in it. Most people I've talked to have had something happen to them that was impossible to explain. But that doesn't mean they go around talking about it afterward, because everyone knows that those kinds of things aren't real. If you start saying that they are, you get the weird looks and jackets with extra-long sleeves."

"For everyone," he said, voice still skeptical. "Every time. They just keep quiet and try to forget it."

"Tell you what, Lucifer. Let's drive down to the Sheriff and you can tell them how we spent our weekend, taking down a haunted train. How its staff were the zombie bodies of old miners, who murdered a station security guard who then got up and threw you off the track." She paused for a moment to let the silence stretch and unconsciously, Lucifer winced as he clutched his side..

"What do you think they'd do?"

"I don't know," he said. He bowed his head.

"Unnatural things happen all the time," She said. "But no one talks about it. At least, not openly. The preternatural world is everywhere. It just doesn't advertise."

"How could someone do that?" Lucifer asked quietly.

"Because it's terrifying," Rain said. "Think about it. You find out about monsters and that there's not a damned thing you can do to protect yourself from them. You find out about horrible things that happen-- things you would be happier not knowing. So rather than live with the fear, you get away from the situation. After a while you can convince yourself that you must have just imagined it. Or maybe exaggerated it in the remembering. You rationalize whatever you can, forget whatever you can't, and get back to your life."

"Maybe," he said. "But I don't see how things that hunt and kill human beings could be there among us without people knowing."

Rain sighed out once more, thoughtful as she contemplated before speaking.

"Yeah," She said. "Nobody talks about this kind of thing. But all those people are still gone. Maybe a lot of them just cut their ties and left their old lives behind. Maybe some were in accidents of some kind, with the body never found. The point is, people don't know. But because it's an extremely scary thing to think about, and because it's a lot easier to just get back to their lives they tend to dismiss it. Ignore it. It's easier."

Lucifer shook his head. "It just sounds so insane. I mean, they'd believe it if they saw it. If someone went on television and--"

"Did what?" Rain drawled. "Bent spoons? Maybe made the Statue of Liberty disappear? Turned a lady into a white tiger? Hell, I've seen ritualized magic on television from the genuine article, and everyone not screaming that it was a hoax was complaining that the special effects looked cheap."

"You mean that clip that youtube was showing a few years back?" Rain grinned, a wide smile in reply.

"That was a Chicago boy. You'll meet him someday, you live long enough. What did you think of it?"

"Well, everyone was talking about it for a couple of days, but I heard that they found out it was a fake or something."

Rayne hummed in thought and took another sip. "When you saw that tape, did you believe it?"

"Not really."

"Why not?"

He took a breath. "Well, because the picture quality wasn't very good. I mean, it was really dark--"

"Where most scary supernatural stuff tends to happen," she said.

"And the picture was all jumpy--"

"The person with the camera was terrified. Also pretty common."

Lucifer scowled. "And there was an awful lot of static on the tape, which made it look like someone had messed with it."

"Like how wizards tend to mess with tech when close, like I told you?" Rayne shook her head, smiling. "And there's one more reason folks didn't believe it. It's okay; you can say it."

He sighed. "There's no such things as monsters."
Rain beamed. "Exactly! And that's why people don't wanna know- I mean, look at us. Two Damphir folk, having a little talk about if monsters are real."

"So where do we fit into it all?"

Rain gave a little shrug. "Do what you always do boy. There will always be monsters."

She gave a grin and ruffled his head, snickering at his protests.

"Don't mean you gotta be one too."

End Flashback

"Some of these gentlemen are still alive."

"Mr. Ibis!"

The tall, skinny figure in the suit peered over his glasses at the parking lot, making a tsk'ing noise.

"At the least, you took the fight outside...Excellent. Well! I suppose I can take care of this...In exchange for a favor, which seems more than fear. Now go on then. Police will be here soon and I need to brush up on my thespian skills."

There was a beat and he suddenly glared.

"Well, go on then!"

---------

They left the funeral home and by unspoken consent, drove up to Nicholas's house...A place of familiarity and refuge for them all.

Which was why, the moment they had entered it was a shock to see it in the condition it was now. All torn up and ransacked, as though something was searching- Perhaps for the page they had obtained earlier from Nicholas's lawyer? Whoever it was didn't seem to care much for personal items and Lucifer scowled on his end, seeing a snow globe shattered on the floor from when someone was pulling everything off the shelf. There was a distinct foulness in the air.

But whoever it was, had been long gone now.

@york @Michale CS @Klutzy Ninja Kitty @Chewy Rabbits @Minerva @Thuro 116 Pendragon @LuckycoolHawk9

• Love
Reactions: Klutzy Ninja Kitty
Derek wasn't surprised that they had drove back to Nicholas's house, it was familiar to every one of them as it would seem to be.

The second he entered, he was shocked and angered by the condition that the home was. This was his home and he wasn't about to let this be taken lightly. Whoever had done this had something in particular planned and made the man quite nervous. He noticed that all the personal items were untouched. This had to be the worst thing he had ever felt. He needed to calm down- lest he would unwillingly shift into his wolf form and nobody needed that. There was something wrong with the air.

He looked at the shattered globe and started to cry. It was his favorite one.

@york @Michale CS @Klutzy Ninja Kitty @Chewy Rabbits @Minerva @Thuro 116 Pendragon @Ringmaster

Derek wasn't surprised that they had drove back to Nicholas's house, it was familiar to every one of them as it would seem to be.

The second he entered, he was shocked and angered by the condition that the home was. This was his home and he wasn't about to let this be taken lightly. Whoever had done this had something in particular planned and made the man quite nervous. He noticed that all the personal items were untouched. This had to be the worst thing he had ever felt. He needed to calm down- lest he would unwillingly shift into his wolf form and nobody needed that. There was something wrong with the air.

@york @Michale CS @Klutzy Ninja Kitty @Chewy Rabbits @Minerva @Thuro 116 Pendragon @Ringmaster
"Lets clean up."

Lucifer said quietly, working on gathering the largest bits before adding over his shoulder.

"What do you think they were after? The page we have or the other gifts given?"

@LuckycoolHawk9

UPDATE

In the aftermath of the short skirmish, many of the thugs laid wounded or dead- Victims of the groups powers and skills. All mundane. Normally, one would wonder about this sort of thing and how anyone couldn't have gotten the hint. Surely, there were plenty of witnesses out there, right? Or perhaps there was some mystical veil, manipulated and used to cover the eyes of those we knew as Mundane? Lucifer thought so, once.

Idly, he remembered as he checked the pulse of a body, what his teacher had once told him...

Flashback.

"There are two things you have to accept if you want to understand what's going on."

Rain sighed inwardly, at the rapt look of attention on her wards face. The curiosity that was going to bite him in the ass, if he ever walked right in without looking where he leaped.

"First the tough one. Magic is real. There's an entire world that exists alongside the everyday life of mankind. There are powers, nations, monsters, wars, feuds, alliances-- everything. Wizards are a part of it. So are a lot of other things you've heard about in stories, and even more you've never heard of. Vampires. Werewolves. Faeries. Demons. Monsters. It's all real."

"Who says they don't? People have a knack for altering their perception of things, to make it more understandable. For example- You talk to a scientist? He or she tell you that there are people, who have the ability to sense and affect their environment in ways we don't really understand yet, that they can accept. Maybe you call it magic, and someone else calls it ESP, and someone else calls it the Force, but it's not a new idea. Maybe there are people whose genetic makeup makes them better able to employ these abilities. Maybe it even does things like make them reproduce their DNA more clearly than other people so that they can live for a very long time. But that is not the same thing as saying that there's an army of weird monsters living right under our noses and we don't even notice them."

"But what about the remains? Fangs, the- Some of them can't be that blind." Lucifer said with frustration. Rain shrugged in response.

"It's a big universe. It's sort of arrogant to assume that we're the only thinking beings in it- Or a variation thereof. You'll hear that a lot in our line of work. Anyway, the point is boy? Lots of people know about it." She raised a finger in a lecturing pose "But the ones who are in the know don't go around talking about it all that much."

"Why not?"

"Because they don't want to get locked up in a loony bin for three months for observation, for starters." She said dryly.

".....Oh," Lucifer said, flushing. "Yeah. I guess I can see that. What about regular people who see things? Like sightings and close encounters and stuff?"

Rain huffed out a breath. "That's the second thing you have to understand. People don't want to accept a reality that frightening. Some of them open their eyes and get involved. But most of them don't want anything to do with the supernatural. So they leave it behind and don't talk about it. Don't think about it. They don't want it to be real, and they work really hard to convince themselves that it isn't."

"No," Lucifer said. "I'm sorry. I just don't buy that. People can't be as afraid as all that."

"You don't need to buy it," She said. "It's true. As a race, we're an enormous bunch of idiots. We're more than capable of ignoring facts if the conclusions they lead to make us too uncomfortable. Or afraid."

A troubled look crossed his face and Rain sighed out, taking a seat next to him before gesturing to the starlit skies.

"Come on, boy," She said. "Look at history. How long did the scholarly institutions of civilization consider Earth to be the center of the universe? And when people came out with facts to prove that it wasn't, there were riots in the streets. No one wanted to believe that we all lived on an unremarkable little speck of rock in a quiet backwater of one unremarkable galaxy. The world was supposed to be flat, too, until people proved that it wasn't by sailing all the way around it. No one believed in germs until years and years after someone actually saw one. Biologists scoffed at tales of wild beast-men living in the mountains of Africa, despite eyewitness testimony to the contrary, and pronounced them an utter fantasy--right up until someone plopped a dead mountain gorilla down on their dissecting table."

"Time after time, history demonstrates that when people don't want to believe something, they have enormous skills of ignoring it altogether."

"Most of the time," She replied. "It's not a bad thing. It's just who we are. But the weird stuff doesn't care about that--it keeps on happening. Every family's got a ghost story in it. Most people I've talked to have had something happen to them that was impossible to explain. But that doesn't mean they go around talking about it afterward, because everyone knows that those kinds of things aren't real. If you start saying that they are, you get the weird looks and jackets with extra-long sleeves."

"For everyone," he said, voice still skeptical. "Every time. They just keep quiet and try to forget it."

"Tell you what, Lucifer. Let's drive down to the Sheriff and you can tell them how we spent our weekend, taking down a haunted train. How its staff were the zombie bodies of old miners, who murdered a station security guard who then got up and threw you off the track." She paused for a moment to let the silence stretch and unconsciously, Lucifer winced as he clutched his side..

"Unnatural things happen all the time," She said. "But no one talks about it. At least, not openly. The preternatural world is everywhere. It just doesn't advertise."

"Because it's terrifying," Rain said. "Think about it. You find out about monsters and that there's not a damned thing you can do to protect yourself from them. You find out about horrible things that happen-- things you would be happier not knowing. So rather than live with the fear, you get away from the situation. After a while you can convince yourself that you must have just imagined it. Or maybe exaggerated it in the remembering. You rationalize whatever you can, forget whatever you can't, and get back to your life."

"Maybe," he said. "But I don't see how things that hunt and kill human beings could be there among us without people knowing."

"Yeah," She said. "Nobody talks about this kind of thing. But all those people are still gone. Maybe a lot of them just cut their ties and left their old lives behind. Maybe some were in accidents of some kind, with the body never found. The point is, people don't know. But because it's an extremely scary thing to think about, and because it's a lot easier to just get back to their lives they tend to dismiss it. Ignore it. It's easier."

Lucifer shook his head. "It just sounds so insane. I mean, they'd believe it if they saw it. If someone went on television and--"

"Did what?" Rain drawled. "Bent spoons? Maybe made the Statue of Liberty disappear? Turned a lady into a white tiger? Hell, I've seen ritualized magic on television from the genuine article, and everyone not screaming that it was a hoax was complaining that the special effects looked cheap."

"You mean that clip that youtube was showing a few years back?" Rain grinned, a wide smile in reply.

"That was a Chicago boy. You'll meet him someday, you live long enough. What did you think of it?"

"Well, everyone was talking about it for a couple of days, but I heard that they found out it was a fake or something."

Rayne hummed in thought and took another sip. "When you saw that tape, did you believe it?"

"Not really."

"Why not?"

He took a breath. "Well, because the picture quality wasn't very good. I mean, it was really dark--"

Lucifer scowled. "And there was an awful lot of static on the tape, which made it look like someone had messed with it."

"Like how wizards tend to mess with tech when close, like I told you?" Rayne shook her head, smiling. "And there's one more reason folks didn't believe it. It's okay; you can say it."

Rain beamed. "Exactly! And that's why people don't wanna know- I mean, look at us. Two Damphir folk, having a little talk about if monsters are real."

Rain gave a little shrug. "Do what you always do boy. There will always be monsters."

End Flashback

"Mr. Ibis!"

The tall, skinny figure in the suit peered over his glasses at the parking lot, making a tsk'ing noise.

"At the least, you took the fight outside...Excellent. Well! I suppose I can take care of this...In exchange for a favor, which seems more than fear. Now go on then. Police will be here soon and I need to brush up on my thespian skills."

"Well, go on then!"

---------

They left the funeral home and by unspoken consent, drove up to Nicholas's house...A place of familiarity and refuge for them all.

Which was why, the moment they had entered it was a shock to see it in the condition it was now. All torn up and ransacked, as though something was searching- Perhaps for the page they had obtained earlier from Nicholas's lawyer? Whoever it was didn't seem to care much for personal items and Lucifer scowled on his end, seeing a snow globe shattered on the floor from when someone was pulling everything off the shelf. There was a distinct foulness in the air.

@york @Michale CS @Klutzy Ninja Kitty @Chewy Rabbits @Minerva @Thuro 116 Pendragon @LuckycoolHawk9

"Lets clean up."

Lucifer said quietly, working on gathering the largest bits before adding over his shoulder.

@LuckycoolHawk9

After the fights had ended, Faline wasn't even out of breath. She stood around with the others, watching Lucifer speak with a well dressed man. It was then that the group wordlessly was offered a ride. While it wasn't like Faline to hang around others for too long, she felt an odd sort of kinship with them. It was as if their connections to Nicholas kept them all intertwined in some way. Because of this, she didn't even hesitate to go with them.

When they arrived at Nicholas' house, Faline frowned deeply to see that it had been ransacked. "I'm not sure who did this or why, but it irritates me to see someone has defiled his home like this." Letting out a scowl, Faline walked around with her arms crossed, observing the damage before walking over to a tearful Derek. She placed a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, I'm sure we'll catch whoever did this. If we look around while we're cleaning up, we might even be able to find some clues to help us out."

@york @Michale CS @LuckycoolHawk9 @Chewy Rabbits @Minerva @Thuro 116 Pendragon @Ringmaster

• Love
Reactions: LuckycoolHawk9
Derek couldn't argue with that.

They did indeed need to clean this place up before they left to go anywhere. It was a giant mess.

"I am going to be honest, it might be that or it might be something, my father has a ton of secrets it would seem."

Derek looked over at Faline and was happy that someone had come to comfort him. He could only barely answer Lucifer without snapping at the poor priest. " That could work, hopefully, this is the worst of the rooms. I would suggest splitting up... but something tells me that will end very, very poorly indeed."

@york @Michale CS @LuckycoolHawk9 @Chewy Rabbits @Minerva @Thuro 116 Pendragon @Ringmaster

UPDATE

Flashback.

"Why not?"

"Not really."

"Why not?"

End Flashback

"Mr. Ibis!"

"Well, go on then!"

---------

"Lets clean up."

@LuckycoolHawk9

After the fights had ended, Faline wasn't even out of breath. She stood around with the others, watching Lucifer speak with a well dressed man. It was then that the group wordlessly was offered a ride. While it wasn't like Faline to hang around others for too long, she felt an odd sort of kinship with them. It was as if their connections to Nicholas kept them all intertwined in some way. Because of this, she didn't even hesitate to go with them.

When they arrived at Nicholas' house, Faline frowned deeply to see that it had been ransacked. "I'm not sure who did this or why, but it irritates me to see someone has defiled his home like this." Letting out a scowl, Faline walked around with her arms crossed, observing the damage before walking over to a tearful Derek. She placed a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, I'm sure we'll catch whoever did this. If we look around while we're cleaning up, we might even be able to find some clues to help us out."

They did indeed need to clean this place up before they left to go anywhere. It was a giant mess.

"I am going to be honest, it might be that or it might be something, my father has a ton of secrets it would seem."

Derek looked over at Faline and was happy that someone had come to comfort him. He could only barely answer Lucifer without snapping at the poor priest. " That could work, hopefully, this is the worst of the rooms. I would suggest splitting up... but something tells me that will end very, very poorly indeed."

Camilla Owens
@LuckycoolHawk9 @Michale CS @LuckycoolHawk9 @Chewy Rabbits @Minerva @Thuro 116 Pendragon @Ringmaster

Camilla looked quite... Put off to say the least by the state Nicholas' house was in, but instead of crying, or getting mad, she stayed silent, surveying the place for a moment. As she knelt down, quietly beginning to help clean up, she noticed that distinct smell in the air, something foul, long gone, yes, but none the less, foul.

She was used to bad smells, yes, but since this particular smell seemed to stand out in a place like this, she frowned, sniffing the air a few times as she tried to identify the odor. There was a multitude of sources behind it, ranging from at least one of the intruders having had some remarkably terrible hygiene, to one of the visitors being undead, or just some perfume or cologne that went horrible.

In either case, whoever, or whatever had paid the house a visit, and left things a mess, had clearly been after something, whether it be that note the lawyer took with him... Or their gifts, and it would certainly be helpfull if she could at least get an idea what sort of person, or creature had been sifting through this place.​

Camilla Owens
@LuckycoolHawk9 @Michale CS @LuckycoolHawk9 @Chewy Rabbits @Minerva @Thuro 116 Pendragon @Ringmaster

Camilla looked quite... Put off to say the least by the state Nicholas' house was in, but instead of crying, or getting mad, she stayed silent, surveying the place for a moment. As she knelt down, quietly beginning to help clean up, she noticed that distinct smell in the air, something foul, long gone, yes, but none the less, foul.

She was used to bad smells, yes, but since this particular smell seemed to stand out in a place like this, she frowned, sniffing the air a few times as she tried to identify the odor. There was a multitude of sources behind it, ranging from at least one of the intruders having had some remarkably terrible hygiene, to one of the visitors being undead, or just some perfume or cologne that went horrible.

In either case, whoever, or whatever had paid the house a visit, and left things a mess, had clearly been after something, whether it be that note the lawyer took with him... Or their gifts, and it would certainly be helpfull if she could at least get an idea what sort of person, or creature had been sifting through this place.​
"Right," Faline replied to Derek, turning to glance around at the room again before looking back at him. "Truthfully, I wouldn't suggest splitting up. I think we should all stay together and take this one room at a time. Besides, we'll clean up much faster that way if we all work together," she suggested. "Unless all of you would rather do things differently. That's just my opinion," she added with a shrug before glancing over to Camilla.

"What's the matter? Do you smell something in here?" Faline asked her before moving to walk around the room. "This place... it brings back memories. Nicholas watched over me for a while. I came here a lot. I don't think I ever told anyone about that. It was during a time in my life when I was really struggling."

It was shortly after I had become a Night Calamity. I had a hard time adjusting, but he was patient with me... even when I became frustrated with him and the world around me.

"But oddly enough I never saw a single one of you whenever I came here," she told them, folding her arms behind her back as she continued to look around the area.

@Ringmaster @LuckycoolHawk9 @york

There was a smell of rotten eggs present, but that was about it. Nothing more presented itself, possibly masked by the rotten egg stench and it would take a far, far more discerning nose to determine that. Otherwise?

They had other senses present and accounted for, in terms of examining their surroundings. There were also a few things untouched by the vandals, whoever they were.

An old fashioned tape recorder hooked up to the phone was present, its message played through. Lucifer would rewind it and press play out of curiosity as a pre-recorded message played.

"Hi Nick, this is Amelia. I lost my keys, would you mind letting me in later at the usual time? Thank you."

Lucifer cocked an eyebrow.

"Old message, to have mentioned his name. Hmmm."
"This place... it brings back memories. Nicholas watched over me for a while. I came here a lot. I don't think I ever told anyone about that. It was during a time in my life when I was really struggling."

It was shortly after I had become a Night Calamity. I had a hard time adjusting, but he was patient with me... even when I became frustrated with him and the world around me.

"But oddly enough I never saw a single one of you whenever I came here," she told them, folding her arms behind her back as she continued to look around the area.
"I came in as a teenager, once upon a time. That was far too long ago though."

He replied quietly.

It had certainly been a cleaner place. Off to the side in the living room area, a workbench with wooden toys carved by hand in various states of repair would be seen. One of Nicholas's hobbies on the side, though whether it had any magical application was a thing Lucifer never found out. That seemed to be largely untouched, toys included. The couch was ripped up, a lamp was thrown to the ground in an apparent fit of rage. The kitchen fared little better, everything moved and smashed in an attempt to seek out...Something.

Though in the kitchen, on the fridge door would be a smattering of what looked like some kind of fine, black dust.

Down the hallway from the dining room would have been the bathroom, with rooms upstairs- He always did have a few guest rooms on tap for anyone who might drop in.

Or for the strays he took in as a matter of course.

Otherwise, clean up went somewhat well and they were just getting things looking nice when there was a knock on the door.

There was a smell of rotten eggs present, but that was about it. Nothing more presented itself, possibly masked by the rotten egg stench and it would take a far, far more discerning nose to determine that. Otherwise?

They had other senses present and accounted for, in terms of examining their surroundings. There were also a few things untouched by the vandals, whoever they were.

An old fashioned tape recorder hooked up to the phone was present, its message played through. Lucifer would rewind it and press play out of curiosity as a pre-recorded message played.

"Hi Nick, this is Amelia. I lost my keys, would you mind letting me in later at the usual time? Thank you."

He replied quietly.

It had certainly been a cleaner place. Off to the side in the living room area, a workbench with wooden toys carved by hand in various states of repair would be seen. One of Nicholas's hobbies on the side, though whether it had any magical application was a thing Lucifer never found out. That seemed to be largely untouched, toys included. The couch was ripped up, a lamp was thrown to the ground in an apparent fit of rage. The kitchen fared little better, everything moved and smashed in an attempt to seek out...Something.

Though in the kitchen, on the fridge door would be a smattering of what looked like some kind of fine, black dust.

Down the hallway from the dining room would have been the bathroom, with rooms upstairs- He always did have a few guest rooms on tap for anyone who might drop in.

Otherwise, clean up went somewhat well and they were just getting things looking nice when there was a knock on the door.

"I almost wish we could go back to those days from long ago," Faline replied to Lucifer, keeping her voice rather low.

Faline quieted for a bit afterwards, aiding in cleanup where she saw fit. Being in Nicholas' house at a time like this, and seeing it such a mess, made the aura inside of the building very somber. But then again, Faline couldn't really remember the last time she had been entirely happy. Losing her brother made it difficult to enjoy much of anything, and not knowing what had happened to him gnawed at her constantly. She almost felt guilty that she wasn't out looking for him right now instead of helping to clean up the house of a dead man. Still, she tried her best to fight the urge to leave and stayed out of respect.

After zoning out for a while, Faline flinched when she heard a knock at the door. She walked over to it, glancing at Lucifer and the others almost as if asking permission to open it. The young woman said nothing, however, and turned back to the door. She grasped the handle and opened it, keeping her guard up in case this individual wasn't a friendly one.

@york @LuckycoolHawk9 @Ringmaster

"Right," Faline replied to Derek, turning to glance around at the room again before looking back at him. "Truthfully, I wouldn't suggest splitting up. I think we should all stay together and take this one room at a time. Besides, we'll clean up much faster that way if we all work together," she suggested. "Unless all of you would rather do things differently. That's just my opinion," she added with a shrug before glancing over to Camilla.

"What's the matter? Do you smell something in here?" Faline asked her before moving to walk around the room. "This place... it brings back memories. Nicholas watched over me for a while. I came here a lot. I don't think I ever told anyone about that. It was during a time in my life when I was really struggling."

@Ringmaster @LuckycoolHawk9 @york

He replied quietly.

"I almost wish we could go back to those days from long ago," Faline replied to Lucifer, keeping her voice rather low.

Faline quieted for a bit afterwards, aiding in cleanup where she saw fit. Being in Nicholas' house at a time like this, and seeing it such a mess, made the aura inside of the building very somber. But then again, Faline couldn't really remember the last time she had been entirely happy. Losing her brother made it difficult to enjoy much of anything, and not knowing what had happened to him gnawed at her constantly. She almost felt guilty that she wasn't out looking for him right now instead of helping to clean up the house of a dead man. Still, she tried her best to fight the urge to leave and stayed out of respect.

After zoning out for a while, Faline flinched when she heard a knock at the door. She walked over to it, glancing at Lucifer and the others almost as if asking permission to open it. The young woman said nothing, however, and turned back to the door. She grasped the handle and opened it, keeping her guard up in case this individual wasn't a friendly one.

@york @LuckycoolHawk9 @Ringmaster
Camilla Owens
@Klutzy Ninja Kitty @LuckycoolHawk9 @Ringmaster @Others?

Camilla wrinkled her nose at the smell, though it was not nearly as unpleasant as some of the smells she had been exposed to in the sewers, it still wasn't something very pleasant, like rotten eggs... But unfortunately she wasn't able to identify much more than that.

With a defeated shrug, she looked towrads Faline when she asked about her, odd behavior.

"... Nothing but rotten eggs." She said apologetically.

Looks like they'd need someone with a more powerfull nose to figure this one out, but as Faline inquired how they were involved with Nicholas, Camilla stayed quiet for a while, until they had just about entered the kitchen.

"He saved my life... And we met up to trade sometimes after that." She said, pausing a little as she noticed some shattered glass on the kitchen floor.

It looked like it had once been a potion flask, an empty one at that, the glass itself looked oddly familiar, but it didn't take her long to realize that it had once contained one of the potions she had brewed up for Nicholas... Though it was hard to say why it was left in the kitchen, she felt a sharp pang of sadness seeing it broken like this.

In either case, as she helped with the cleanup, she couldn't help but notice a bit of fine, black dust on the fridge, and at the brief interval she had, tried to see if the dust was the source of the less than pleasant odor in the air, taking care not to actually inhale the dust in the process somehow.

Whatever the result was, when she heard a knock on the door someway through the cleanup, she quickly froze up, almost like a deer in headlights, turning towards the door as she began to back towards a more shadowy spot in the house. Seeing that Faline was already opening it, she prepared to go on the offensive, or defensive, if whoever at the door happened to be some sort of threat.​

It turned out to be a very innocuous, somewhat disarming man.

ec09b74736e1509aad22b6c83f387cb7.jpg

In either case, as she helped with the cleanup, she couldn't help but notice a bit of fine, black dust on the fridge, and at the brief interval she had, tried to see if the dust was the source of the less than pleasant odor in the air, taking care not to actually inhale the dust in the process somehow.

Whatever the result was, when she heard a knock on the door someway through the cleanup, she quickly froze up, almost like a deer in headlights, turning towards the door as she began to back towards a more shadowy spot in the house. Seeing that Faline was already opening it, she prepared to go on the offensive, or defensive, if whoever at the door happened to be some sort of threat.
He also seemed to not notice the air of wariness in the house as he adjusted his glasses and cleared his throat.

"Er, sorry- But well, I tried to reach you all at the funeral but you weren't present. I then found out a bit more information concerning...Your assailants from earlier. Er."

He adjusted his glasses once more in apparently a nervous tic as he spoke.

"My name is Jean- I'm secretary to the local Warden of the White Council. May I please come in?"

Intermission

tumblr_m7evyfWxLr1qjcq1co1_500.jpg

The darkling gave a start.

"Oh! 'ello there! I'm a Darkling, working fer the Big Man in the night if yer catch my drift! Call me friend, because dats wot I'm gonna be where yer concerned! Also, because Boss man gots shit to do, but woteva."

It raised a claw and continued.

"Dis 'ere is wot we call the law of Thresholds and a bit about der Gray Wardens an' by extension, da White Council. Load o' pricks dey are, but powerful sots regardless. Big-stick-go-boom kinda blokes. But first tings first!"

A chalkboard was produced, revealing a picture of the house, and each of the people within on the frozen scene.

"Now a threshold is one o' der oldest magical laws in der world. Its an expression of sanctuary, of a personal home wot humans and da like make over time. Tink o' it like some force field from one o' da nobby sci fi flicks. Nothing gets in, unless a member of the home invites em in. Now humans? Unaffected, dey can waltz in an' out an' bobs yer uncle. Now to bypass a threshold, blokes require an invitation from a member o' da house. It can be simple as a little gel asking if'n 'er 'invisible friend' can come in to play too, or a mother saying to der bloke 'Insert-name-'er, you 'ave my permission to enter!' Now without it? Some things can't step in, others can't enter without crippling em right heavy. Demons fer example need an invitation, though depends on the thresholds strength. Faeries? Dem blokes can enter, IF they mean no 'arm to the inhabitants an' are bound by Law to the rules of Hospitality as a Guest. More o' DAT when we get to it! An' wizards an' witches get crippled in turn magically wise, if they just push themselves in."

For a moment, the darkling seemed troubled as it tried to pat itself down, brightening as it discovered a flash card.

"Roight den! Now in da case of Nicholas's house? 'E 'ad a LOT o' strays and blokes he invited in, building up his place wot spells 'e 'ad, but making it a HOME for everyone he considered family. Which means if his threshold was a light? Yer could see it from space, which makes it curious 'ow something managed ter break in."

It cackled aloud, tossing the card over its shoulder before wiping away a tear.

"Sorry. I do dat a lot. Now den! White Council, Grey Warden...Lots'o boring shite. White Council is basically the big boys in the world o' wizards. An' da Grey Wardens are loike der Gestapo. They uphold the Laws o' magic and generally inflict death to any who break em. Not so 'appy with monster races either."

It flashed a bright, jagged grin.

"So...Imagine 'ow dey might have thought o' dear, departed Nick...An' da company 'e kept in life? Ha! An' now, back to our regularly, scheduled RP."

End Intermission

To Camilla, even as Faline answered the door, she'd suddenly get what that black dust was, of all things...

Soot.

But what was it doing in the kitchen?

Derek looked over at the door as he gathered his thought as a white Council secretary came and was asking to come in. He did know that it wasn't a good idea to invite someone in with the mess. Who knew what damage the man could cause if he entered? He decided to turn to Faline. " Well, I guess it is fine to let him in. There isn't much damage to cause. What exactly do you need us for?" He asked, very directly. Was he another person who they missed in the will? Anything was possible at this point. He took a deep breath and hoped he could keep his cool right now.

@york @Ringmaster @Klutzy Ninja Kitty

He also seemed to not notice the air of wariness in the house as he adjusted his glasses and cleared his throat.

"Er, sorry- But well, I tried to reach you all at the funeral but you weren't present. I then found out a bit more information concerning...Your assailants from earlier. Er."

"My name is Jean- I'm secretary to the local Warden of the White Council. May I please come in?"

Intermission

"Oh! 'ello there! I'm a Darkling, working fer the Big Man in the night if yer catch my drift! Call me friend, because dats wot I'm gonna be where yer concerned! Also, because Boss man gots shit to do, but woteva."

"Dis 'ere is wot we call the law of Thresholds and a bit about der Gray Wardens an' by extension, da White Council. Load o' pricks dey are, but powerful sots regardless. Big-stick-go-boom kinda blokes. But first tings first!"

A chalkboard was produced, revealing a picture of the house, and each of the people within on the frozen scene.

"Now a threshold is one o' der oldest magical laws in der world. Its an expression of sanctuary, of a personal home wot humans and da like make over time. Tink o' it like some force field from one o' da nobby sci fi flicks. Nothing gets in, unless a member of the home invites em in. Now humans? Unaffected, dey can waltz in an' out an' bobs yer uncle. Now to bypass a threshold, blokes require an invitation from a member o' da house. It can be simple as a little gel asking if'n 'er 'invisible friend' can come in to play too, or a mother saying to der bloke 'Insert-name-'er, you 'ave my permission to enter!' Now without it? Some things can't step in, others can't enter without crippling em right heavy. Demons fer example need an invitation, though depends on the thresholds strength. Faeries? Dem blokes can enter, IF they mean no 'arm to the inhabitants an' are bound by Law to the rules of Hospitality as a Guest. More o' DAT when we get to it! An' wizards an' witches get crippled in turn magically wise, if they just push themselves in."

For a moment, the darkling seemed troubled as it tried to pat itself down, brightening as it discovered a flash card.

"Roight den! Now in da case of Nicholas's house? 'E 'ad a LOT o' strays and blokes he invited in, building up his place wot spells 'e 'ad, but making it a HOME for everyone he considered family. Which means if his threshold was a light? Yer could see it from space, which makes it curious 'ow something managed ter break in."

"Sorry. I do dat a lot. Now den! White Council, Grey Warden...Lots'o boring shite. White Council is basically the big boys in the world o' wizards. An' da Grey Wardens are loike der Gestapo. They uphold the Laws o' magic and generally inflict death to any who break em. Not so 'appy with monster races either."

"So...Imagine 'ow dey might have thought o' dear, departed Nick...An' da company 'e kept in life? Ha! An' now, back to our regularly, scheduled RP."

End Intermission

To Camilla, even as Faline answered the door, she'd suddenly get what that black dust was, of all things...

Soot.

Derek looked over at the door as he gathered his thought as a white Council secretary came and was asking to come in. He did know that it wasn't a good idea to invite someone in with the mess. Who knew what damage the man could cause if he entered? He decided to turn to Faline. " Well, I guess it is fine to let him in. There isn't much damage to cause. What exactly do you need us for?" He asked, very directly. Was he another person who they missed in the will? Anything was possible at this point. He took a deep breath and hoped he could keep his cool right now.

Camilla Owens
@LuckycoolHawk9 @Ringmaster @Klutzy Ninja Kitty

Camilla still wasn't sure about Jean, though he didn't seem particularly menacing, she couldn't help but be super wary... Something that she kind of picked up from her "fellow" shades, before she was outcast at least. No matter how friendly Jean was, she was not so sure it was a good idea to let someone who may not have been invited by Nicholas in. On that thought though, Camilla decided to ask him something before she properly considered if she should invite him in.

"Did... You get an invitation?" She asked.

Seeing that he was still standing outside right now, it was possible that he didn't... But then again, their intruder managed to bypass a barrier that would normally keep the "supernaturals" out unless they were invited. Hmm, actually, Jean was likely able to come in on his own accord, but if he wasn't invited, his powers might be neutralized at the very least. In either case, the bottom line was that she wasn't so keen on letting someone who wasn't invited to the procession in just like that.

Intermission

End Intermission

Soot.

Pretty much everyone had forgotten Nora was there - not unusual as she had been "resting" not manifested.

When not solid, Nora often used it a lot like sleep when she was alive. As such, she was only vaguely aware of what had transpired here recently.

She appeared, and solidified. "Sorry folks, it takes a lot out of me to assume corporeal form. What'd I miss?" Nora asked the group.

@york @Ringmaster @Klutzy Ninja Kitty @LuckycoolHawk9 @ anyone I missed.

Camilla still wasn't sure about Jean, though he didn't seem particularly menacing, she couldn't help but be super wary... Something that she kind of picked up from her "fellow" shades, before she was outcast at least. No matter how friendly Jean was, she was not so sure it was a good idea to let someone who may not have been invited by Nicholas in. On that thought though, Camilla decided to ask him something before she properly considered if she should invite him in.

Seeing that he was still standing outside right now, it was possible that he didn't... But then again, their intruder managed to bypass a barrier that would normally keep the "supernaturals" out unless they were invited. Hmm, actually, Jean was likely able to come in on his own accord, but if he wasn't invited, his powers might be neutralized at the very least. In either case, the bottom line was that she wasn't so keen on letting someone who wasn't invited to the procession in just like that.
"I do now. Thanks to him."

He nodded towards Derek and stepped inside, as he added.

"Loosely worded, but I retain my humble skills, such as they are."
Pretty much everyone had forgotten Nora was there - not unusual as she had been "resting" not manifested.

When not solid, Nora often used it a lot like sleep when she was alive. As such, she was only vaguely aware of what had transpired here recently.

She appeared, and solidified. "Sorry folks, it takes a lot out of me to assume corporeal form. What'd I miss?" Nora asked the group.
"Nothing at all miss! As it is, I come with news."

He closed the door behind him and adjusted his glasses.

"First, regarding your attackers- All of them were mundane folk. The idea is that they were injured in a gang fight and no one has to know otherwise. Their payment for attacking was deposited into theirs from an offshore account, connected to the White Court- Its leader in Los Angeles, you may have noticed at the funeral."

He cleared his throat and added.

"Its one lead anyway. The second, is why I'm here...Like I said, I represent a member of the Grey Wardens for the White Council. Mr. Zenos- Also a friend of the late, Nicholas. He currently has his death under investigation, which means any evidence you may have, you are obligated to hand it over."

"No, we don't." Lucifer said aloud, arms crossed as he added.

"We're not White Council- All of us answer to others, or are not connected to the Accords as a whole."

"No." Admitted the wizard before adding. "But it will make our lives easier and help us find the killer- Isn't that what we all want?"

Derek paused as he listened to the White Council member and he tucked his necklace into his shirt. He had a strange feeling that it wasn't just evidence that they wanted, it was the items that they had received at the funreal, the same items that made them targets as he would guess. It wasn't too uncommon to use mundanes for your own purposes. He looked at the man. " I can honestly say that we haven't found any evidence. We just got here," he said. He had gotten sub-par at lying. He hoped that the other followed suit with him and Lucifer.

"First, regarding your attackers- All of them were mundane folk. The idea is that they were injured in a gang fight and no one has to know otherwise. Their payment for attacking was deposited into theirs from an offshore account, connected to the White Court- Its leader in Los Angeles, you may have noticed at the funeral."

"Its one lead anyway. The second, is why I'm here...Like I said, I represent a member of the Grey Wardens for the White Council. Mr. Zenos- Also a friend of the late, Nicholas. He currently has his death under investigation, which means any evidence you may have, you are obligated to hand it over."

"We're not White Council- All of us answer to others, or are not connected to the Accords as a whole."

"No." Admitted the wizard before adding. "But it will make our lives easier and help us find the killer- Isn't that what we all want?"

Derek paused as he listened to the White Council member and he tucked his necklace into his shirt. He had a strange feeling that it wasn't just evidence that they wanted, it was the items that they had received at the funreal, the same items that made them targets as he would guess. It wasn't too uncommon to use mundanes for your own purposes. He looked at the man. " I can honestly say that we haven't found any evidence. We just got here," he said. He had gotten sub-par at lying. He hoped that the other followed suit with him and Lucifer.

Camilla Owens
@LuckycoolHawk9 @Michale CS @Klutzy Ninja Kitty @Chewy Rabbits @Minerva @Thuro 116 Pendragon @Ringmaster @Others?

Camilla sighed, welp, Jean was inside already, so it looks like she'd have to be carefull about what she said; if he wasn't on their side, he could be trouble. Though, there was no harm in subtly hinting at some evidence they spotted around the place, seeing as they didn't have much else of a lead, except maybe that it might be somehow connected to the White Court, given the apparent hiring their mundane attackers.

"Not much. Some weird smell, and a dash of something on the fridge." She said, deciding to keep the details somewhat vague.

Of course, she knew that dash of "something" on the fridge was soot, but she figured that could be addressed later, if she really needed to.​

Camilla Owens
@Klutzy Ninja Kitty @LuckycoolHawk9 @Ringmaster @Others?

Camilla wrinkled her nose at the smell, though it was not nearly as unpleasant as some of the smells she had been exposed to in the sewers, it still wasn't something very pleasant, like rotten eggs... But unfortunately she wasn't able to identify much more than that.

With a defeated shrug, she looked towrads Faline when she asked about her, odd behavior.

"... Nothing but rotten eggs." She said apologetically.

Looks like they'd need someone with a more powerfull nose to figure this one out, but as Faline inquired how they were involved with Nicholas, Camilla stayed quiet for a while, until they had just about entered the kitchen.

"He saved my life... And we met up to trade sometimes after that." She said, pausing a little as she noticed some shattered glass on the kitchen floor.

It looked like it had once been a potion flask, an empty one at that, the glass itself looked oddly familiar, but it didn't take her long to realize that it had once contained one of the potions she had brewed up for Nicholas... Though it was hard to say why it was left in the kitchen, she felt a sharp pang of sadness seeing it broken like this.

Whatever the result was, when she heard a knock on the door someway through the cleanup, she quickly froze up, almost like a deer in headlights, turning towards the door as she began to back towards a more shadowy spot in the house. Seeing that Faline was already opening it, she prepared to go on the offensive, or defensive, if whoever at the door happened to be some sort of threat.​

Intermission

End Intermission

Soot.

Camilla Owens
@LuckycoolHawk9 @Ringmaster @Klutzy Ninja Kitty

Camilla Owens
@LuckycoolHawk9 @Michale CS @Klutzy Ninja Kitty @Chewy Rabbits @Minerva @Thuro 116 Pendragon @Ringmaster @Others?

Camilla sighed, welp, Jean was inside already, so it looks like she'd have to be carefull about what she said; if he wasn't on their side, he could be trouble. Though, there was no harm in subtly hinting at some evidence they spotted around the place, seeing as they didn't have much else of a lead, except maybe that it might be somehow connected to the White Court, given the apparent hiring their mundane attackers.

"Not much. Some weird smell, and a dash of something on the fridge." She said, deciding to keep the details somewhat vague.

Of course, she knew that dash of "something" on the fridge was soot, but she figured that could be addressed later, if she really needed to.​

When the man they invited in began to ask questions and demand they tell him about any evidence they may have found, Faline wrinkled her nose defensively. "Pardon me if this sounds rude, but do you have any proof you are who you say you are?" she questioned, raising an eyebrow. "For all we know, you could be impersonating someone from the White Council. Could you at least present us with some identification?"

Over the years, and all she had been through, the young night calamity had actually grown to be a rather suspicious person. She wasn't sure handing over anything of their deceased friend's was a good idea, let alone to someone she knew nothing about. Even if he could prove who he was, the girl was sorely tempted to follow the lead of the others and tell him nothing.

@Ringmaster @york @LuckycoolHawk9 @Michale CS

Of course, she knew that dash of "something" on the fridge was soot, but she figured that could be addressed later, if she really needed to.
When the man they invited in began to ask questions and demand they tell him about any evidence they may have found, Faline wrinkled her nose defensively. "Pardon me if this sounds rude, but do you have any proof you are who you say you are?" she questioned, raising an eyebrow. "For all we know, you could be impersonating someone from the White Council. Could you at least present us with some identification?"

Over the years, and all she had been through, the young night calamity had actually grown to be a rather suspicious person. She wasn't sure handing over anything of their deceased friend's was a good idea, let alone to someone she knew nothing about. Even if he could prove who he was, the girl was sorely tempted to follow the lead of the others and tell him nothing.
The wizard laughed nervously.

"Yes, I see how that could...Be a problem. Er, I could offer a Soul Gaze if you are willing? If any among you wish to Soul Gaze to determine if I am, who I say I am, then step forward."

Intermission

"'Ello! Me again! Back ter tell ya lot about wot's known as a Soul Gaze."

It chortled, tongue flicking out serpentine between jagged teeth as it grinned.

"When a wizard an' a being with a soul look each other in the peepers, it begins wot dey call a Soul Gaze. It gives t'other a window into their soul, which can't be faked. It ain't mind reading by a long shot(da's a whole can o' worms which gives ye the choppy-chop), but it does give an impression on whether they're trustworthy or not, or if they've been psychically harmed, etc. It don't work on none without a Soul...An' well...Dere's dat question. Even as you look into 'is, 'es looking smack-dab into yers."

The grin grew wider.

"Makes yer wonder what he'll see, yeah? Ahahahaha!"

End Intermission

• Useful
Reactions: Klutzy Ninja Kitty
Status
Not open for further replies.