Blood Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
A young woman stepped into the funeral home. She had long blonde hair that was done up into a professional looking bun. In her hands, she carried a camera. An older model Polaroid. She wore a black button-up blouse, and a black skirt reaching down to her knees. A strand of hair hung down her face. Iris looked like a professional member of the press going to a funeral rather than a Spec-Ops soldier for the Foundation, or a prisoner.

She slowly approached Derek at Ibis's desk, and nodded solemnly. She stuck her hand out. "Miss Thompson, I'm a reporter for Southern Cross Press." She said in a kind voice. "Your father helped me with some stories while I was here in LA. I came to pay my respects."

In truth, he had helped her and Task Force Omega-7 catch a Reality Bender that was loose in LA, making the world look like a black and white film. He was a tough catch, but they eventually caught the bender, and the Foundation went on their way.

It was weird to be at the funeral, when two years ago, he had been so full of life and energy. It was a shame to lose someone, Iris knew that. She silently waited for a response from Derek.
Derek watched as someone in walked in. He took note of her and she mentioned that her name was Miss Thompson. " Well, thank you for coming to his funeral. It came as a surprise that he passed- and of such natural causes," he said, as his dad was always involved in something, he was surprised he hadn't been murdered.

@Minerva @Ringmaster

"I spent my seventeenth and eighteenth birthday here with him."

Confessed Lucifer as he frowned.

"That was the last I saw of him, the rest of my life since....Was somewhat rocky."

@Michale CS
"I see." Not sure how rocky a priest's life could be but I wasn't going to ask that. "Well... what do you think? Is Nick's death just time catching up with him? I thought so at first but... I'm not sure anymore." I asked, adding my opinion.

I noticed the other woman enter and start conversing with Derek, I didn't recognize her but she had a poise of confidence about her that I liked.

@Ringmaster @ whomever

Derek looked around and wondered what he could say now. He could go and talk to the white court vampire, but he didn't feel up to it. He decided to approach Ibis to ask how many more guests were coming." I was wondering, how many more are we expecting to attend my father's funeral?" He asked curiously.

@Ringmaster @Talking with Ibis
Derek watched as someone in walked in. He took note of her and she mentioned that her name was Miss Thompson. " Well, thank you for coming to his funeral. It came as a surprise that he passed- and of such natural causes," he said, as his dad was always involved in something, he was surprised he hadn't been murdered.
"I see." Not sure how rocky a priest's life could be but I wasn't going to ask that. "Well... what do you think? Is Nick's death just time catching up with him? I thought so at first but... I'm not sure anymore." I asked, adding my opinion.

I noticed the other woman enter and start conversing with Derek, I didn't recognize her but she had a poise of confidence about her that I liked.
latest

Mr. Ibis blinked, taking the hand automatically and cleared his throat.

"Oh do forgive me. After a while, the mind...Wanders on strange paths and roads unpaved by thought and reason. Its amazing what you can find. As to guests, we were expecting two more...But as it appears they may be late, I suppose there's no point in delay."

He turned around the book, revealing it to the two as it displayed...Only the names of the current people in this place.

Nora T.

Derek K.

Lucifer A.

Jahil S.

Iris T.

Closing it, he said apologetically.

"Until the others come, we do not put their names. Its...Policy."

He offered a thin smile.

@Minerva @LuckycoolHawk9

Meanwhile with Nora, Lucifer sighed out and stood up.

"I'm not so sure...But I need to do my job as well. I owe the man that much."

And with that, he moved to approach the podium for the speech he was to give.

@Last chance to accomplish anything before the funeral begins for real everyone.

@Michale CS

@Minerva @Ringmaster
Iris nodded. "Yes. When I last knew him, he was still full of life. But, that was two years ago, and things can change in the blink of an eye." Iris said, giving a small smile. "Anyway, I should find a seat. Once again, my condolences."

latest

Mr. Ibis blinked, taking the hand automatically and cleared his throat.

"Oh do forgive me. After a while, the mind...Wanders on strange paths and roads unpaved by thought and reason. Its amazing what you can find. As to guests, we were expecting two more...But as it appears they may be late, I suppose there's no point in delay."

He turned around the book, revealing it to the two as it displayed...Only the names of the current people in this place.

Nora T.

Derek K.

Lucifer A.

Jahil S.

Iris T.

Closing it, he said apologetically.

"Until the others come, we do not put their names. Its...Policy."

He offered a thin smile.

@Minerva @LuckycoolHawk9

Meanwhile with Nora, Lucifer sighed out and stood up.

"I'm not so sure...But I need to do my job as well. I owe the man that much."

And with that, he moved to approach the podium for the speech he was to give.

@Last chance to accomplish anything before the funeral begins for real everyone.

@Michale CS

Iris nodded at Ibis as the old man showed the guestbook. She turned away and began to make her way to her seat. She sat in an empty seat behind Nora and Lucifer, and hoped no one would sit there.

@LuckycoolHawk9 @Michale CS @Ringmaster @Whoever

Iris nodded. "Yes. When I last knew him, he was still full of life. But, that was two years ago, and things can change in the blink of an eye." Iris said, giving a small smile. "Anyway, I should find a seat. Once again, my condolences."
Derek nodded, as he considered talking with the others, but decided against it. He wasn't going to bottle his grief, but this wasn't the time to break down, he could do that much later too. He went back to his seat and wondered what the last two species to arrive would be.

@Ringmaster @Minerva

Iris nodded at Ibis as the old man showed the guestbook. She turned away and began to make her way to her seat. She sat in an empty seat behind Nora and Lucifer, and hoped no one would sit there.

@LuckycoolHawk9 @Michale CS @Ringmaster @Whoever
Nora looked over her shoulder briefly and flashed a sympathetic smile. It didn't seem like the best time to talk but Nora's look conveyed that she wanted to speak with Iris once it wouldn't be rude to do so.

She'd been in Russia when it'd happened, a world away, quite literally in the sense that she'd been tracking down a Leshy through Archangel's section of the Nevernever. Same old story, wealthy parents that lived too close to the forest and didn't guard against the old ways, left the spiritual door open to the child kidnapping spirit. Without the respect for the forest or the belief in it's ways, the mythical creature snapping through the homes threshold was all too easy.

That's when Lane was called in. She'd tracked down the spirit, and with her usual forethought and well thought out plans had tackled the the forest spirit from behind and then hightailed it out of there, praying she could make it back to her rift in time.

If you're wondering how one runs from a teleporting creature, that's a story for another time. Long story short, she saved the day and reinforced the threshold, though she had a feeling that returning to Archangel's Nevernever in the next few years-, centuries might be a bad idea.

The trip back was thankfully uneventful, which was a bad thing. It gave her time to reflect on her benefactor's.... friend's departure from this world.

Back when the BRPD had burned her, left her in the dark, she'd had nowhere to turn. She'd holed up in her apartment, the wards that Jack had taught her to make barely keeping the nasties out now that they knew there would be no retaliation for killing her.

Then she'd heard a knock at the door, meaning whatever nasty was trying to get in had finally broken through her wards. She got out her gun, it's weight so incredibly heavy with it's cold iron bullets, then flung open the door, aiming down the sights at.....

....the perfectly genial looking old man that coughed lightly at having a gun thrust in his face.

"Miss Lane, you appear to be in a rather difficult position. May I come in?"

It was stupid, it was idiotic, but it ultimately turned out to be the right thing to do. She invited him in.

Years later, Lane strode into his funeral just like he'd strode into her house. She had a sneaking suspicion that he'd been more comfortable facing the raving lunatic that was her in the aftermath of what'd happened than she was, staring down at his cold, lifeless face.

Softly, she said, "It just doesn't seem right, does it?"​

One by one, others slowly filtered in. Humanoid mostly, others less so. Some wearing human form as one an ill-fitting suit of clothing, with only a casual glance sliding over them enough to reveal their inhumanity. Regardless, there was a lot of them. In life, Nicholas had been a wizard of low power, but extraordinary kindness. To the lost and afraid, he opened his doors and offered knowledge and food till they decided to move on. Those who stayed, grew up into people with families of their own. But they never forgot their roots.

Many of them were here today, because of him and at the podium, staring at the crowd Lucifer adjusted his collar briefly before he began.

"Awakened. Sidhe. Lycanthrope and otherwise, many of us are here for a common purpose. To mourn the death of a great man, a wizard with a wisdom of Solomon in our dark times and who knew the greatest magic, was a hand extended in need."

He paused briefly, gauging reactions as he debated inwardly before speaking.

"I was a boy when I first met him. Newly awakened to my own...Bloodline, when my teacher took me to meet him. I was angry and sullen at the world, believing myself to be a monster. He told me that a monster was a state of mind, that until you cross that line you were not a monster...But rather a human. Which is a broad state of words, as I'm sure many of us here can attest to. Yet here we are. I'm grateful for his example and for his words- I have made them my guiding light and my reason to be."

Slowly, out of sight he crumbled up his notes and stowed them in his pocket, an intensity filling the preacher as he said hoarsely.

"Remember Nicholas. A man who lived his life helping others and who affected many more over the course of his life. Remember him as I do....As a kind, caring man who gave much and asked only for a smile in return. Thank you."

He descended the podium and blinked away tears, as standing like guards on either end of the coffin, Mr. Ibis and Jacquel watched him descend. Others came up, to deliver their own anecdotes of the man. Minor magicians, the like...Until finally, the time had come to deposit the coffin. A final farewell.

One by one, people left and as they did....Several folk were revealed to have stayed.

All by design as a man in a three-piece suit and an engraved, emerald tiepin rose up and turned to them. With a fussy, Oxford accent he spoke.

"Excellent. You've stayed behind, as per my notes to you which brought you here. I am... Nicholas's lawyer. A divider of his estate, such as it were. As per his instructions, the majority of his knowledge is to be dispensed into various places for the education of new wizards, with his more dangerous tomes to be turned over to the White Council. However, to you in particular? He had something else in mind."

He tapped his foot and looked around at the doors before back at them.

"Now then. This place is Neutral Ground. The Accords will prevent anyone from striking here and the protections laid by the directors will ensure that there are no spies. All according to his plan. Now first of all."

He pulled out a pair of glasses and perched them on his nose as he looked at the paper.

"First to my son. My son in everything but blood, I want you to know I love you very much. I hope you can forgive me for what I am about to do, for I will tear you from your comfort into a much bloody, stressful adventure. But if the thought of saving thousand of lives is enough, then so be it. I will proud of you either way. Should you consent to this, then from my lawyer take the object meant for you. It will be a light in dark places, when all other lights cease to burn. There are others as well, whom I have chosen to help you. Please, accept them for their character as I have. They will be a great help, should they agree."

If taken, the object in question would be what looked like a golden disc, an amulet on a leather cord. The design engraved and representing the sun. It looked as though it could be worn around the neck. Beyond that, there was nothing else save a line on the back of it.

'Think Happy Thoughts'.

Next, he cleared his throat and continued.

"Camilla. Beauty is not something on the outside. Your differences do not make you weak, but rather strong. You have a powerful connection, to forces I dare not say aloud for reasons of my own. I only wish I could have shared more in person, but oh child. Though you owe me nothing, I beg for your help. Your knowledge of the Underground and potions will help my son in the quest I leave for you all. If you accept this task, my lawyer has something for you."

For Camilla, a crystal snowflake pin. Of a sort to pin to your lapel. It feels cold in the hand and slightly heavier then it should be.

"Falline, forgive me. I'm sorry I could not help you more beyond what I managed. I'm sorry I could not find who you sought so diligently and were it in my power, I would. You always struck me as sad, sorrow a familiar friend to us both. That you never stopped spoke volumes to your tenacity and it is that which I need most, to help on this quest. If you accept, then please take this gift. I only wish it could be more."

An old folio of Shakespeares 'The Tempest'. It belonged to Nicholas in life and a flip through saw a quote underlined.

"This thing of darkness I
Acknowledge mine."

At the very end of the book, hidden between two stuck pages was a number.

"Lane. Iris. Nora and Reaper. We have been close in varying degrees, as we've worked together over the years. Some of you wonder what meaning there is in life still. Others believe that a quick buck is all it takes. Still more say other things...To it all, I say this. You're braver then you are. Smarter then you think. And stronger then you believe. While my children have the spirit for what lies ahead, they will need guidance. They will need experience and I cannot think of anyone better then you four. If you will consent to doing a dead mans final job, I shall be most grateful. Should you choose to accept, then a little tidy sum such as I still have shall be wired to your usual accounts...And while I have nothing in the way of what my children will need for what lies ahead? Out of friendship, I leave you all with the following.

From the suitcase, each member is given a stylized, cast-iron ring. Lane's in the shape of a lionhead, Iris in the shape of an eagle. Nora's had the head of a Coyote and Reapers with the head of a Crow.

There was a heavy pause before he finally spoke.

"To Lucifer."

Lucifer blinked and paid close attention, a wary look entering the damphir's eyes as the lawyer spoke.

"You have but one, burning desire....I cannot answer all of it, but I can give it to you if you chose to assist. If not...My lawyer is instructed to give it anyway. It is a heavy burden and I fear you will take it too hard as you have ever done. A monster is a state of mind boy...Remember that, and forgive an old man for telling you something he should have a long time ago."

Lucifer wordlessly, held out a hand and was given an envelope. This he slipped into his inner jacket pocket and then finally spoke aloud.

"I will help as I can. To whatever end. He was a friend to me and I will not turn my back on him."

@LuckycoolHawk9 @york @Klutzy Ninja Kitty @Chewy Rabbits @Thuro 116 Pendragon @Michale CS @Minerva

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
"Lane. Iris. Nora and Reaper. We have been close in varying degrees, as we've worked together over the years. Some of you wonder what meaning there is in life still. Others believe that a quick buck is all it takes. Still more say other things...To it all, I say this. You're braver then you are. Smarter then you think. And stronger then you believe. While my children have the spirit for what lies ahead, they will need guidance. They will need experience and I cannot think of anyone better then you four. If you will consent to doing a dead mans final job, I shall be most grateful. Should you choose to accept, then a little tidy sum such as I still have shall be wired to your usual accounts...And while I have nothing in the way of what my children will need for what lies ahead? Out of friendship, I leave you all with the following.

"..."

yzwDtiKFXr8Wmu5FYKjt6HBcENloEjF4v5mtGaXXkS4.png

Well, he supposed that merited some kinda emotional response. It's just too bad that he wasn't really the type for that kinda business. Gunning down an undead? Easy enough. Get it done and get back home. But perhaps it wasn't the best place to look for emotional stability in a creature(?) who spent his free time watching moss collect on his ceiling. After all, he didn't need to sleep, eat, nor even breath. So what use was money to him? A touching gesture for sure. But it didn't really mean much. Other than getting the landlord off his back and buying ammunition for his guns.

Though his landlord was being quite picky in particular about how much moss Reaper was letting grow in his room. Something about it just fascinated the enigmatic being. The way it spread over everything it touched as if it didn't have a care in the world. Just a being that went where it wanted whenever it wanted. Who was he to stop that? Besides, a few bucks shilled his landlord's way usually stopped the complaining.

If it didn't however? Then all he had to do was turn the music up higher and watch the moss grow.

Still, the idea of a job sounded tempting he supposed. It'd be something to do at the very least. Shrugging his shoulders noncommittally, Reaper pulled out his lighter and flicked it while holding out a cigarette. Holding the cigarette in the gap in between his skull, he tucked the lighter away.

He'd do the job.

@LuckycoolHawk9 @york @Klutzy Ninja Kitty @Ringmaster @Thuro 116 Pendragon @Michale CS @Minerva

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Ringmaster

One by one, others slowly filtered in. Humanoid mostly, others less so. Some wearing human form as one an ill-fitting suit of clothing, with only a casual glance sliding over them enough to reveal their inhumanity. Regardless, there was a lot of them. In life, Nicholas had been a wizard of low power, but extraordinary kindness. To the lost and afraid, he opened his doors and offered knowledge and food till they decided to move on. Those who stayed, grew up into people with families of their own. But they never forgot their roots.

Many of them were here today, because of him and at the podium, staring at the crowd Lucifer adjusted his collar briefly before he began.

"Awakened. Sidhe. Lycanthrope and otherwise, many of us are here for a common purpose. To mourn the death of a great man, a wizard with a wisdom of Solomon in our dark times and who knew the greatest magic, was a hand extended in need."

"I was a boy when I first met him. Newly awakened to my own...Bloodline, when my teacher took me to meet him. I was angry and sullen at the world, believing myself to be a monster. He told me that a monster was a state of mind, that until you cross that line you were not a monster...But rather a human. Which is a broad state of words, as I'm sure many of us here can attest to. Yet here we are. I'm grateful for his example and for his words- I have made them my guiding light and my reason to be."

Slowly, out of sight he crumbled up his notes and stowed them in his pocket, an intensity filling the preacher as he said hoarsely.

"Remember Nicholas. A man who lived his life helping others and who affected many more over the course of his life. Remember him as I do....As a kind, caring man who gave much and asked only for a smile in return. Thank you."

He descended the podium and blinked away tears, as standing like guards on either end of the coffin, Mr. Ibis and Jacquel watched him descend. Others came up, to deliver their own anecdotes of the man. Minor magicians, the like...Until finally, the time had come to deposit the coffin. A final farewell.

One by one, people left and as they did....Several folk were revealed to have stayed.

All by design as a man in a three-piece suit and an engraved, emerald tiepin rose up and turned to them. With a fussy, Oxford accent he spoke.

"Excellent. You've stayed behind, as per my notes to you which brought you here. I am... Nicholas's lawyer. A divider of his estate, such as it were. As per his instructions, the majority of his knowledge is to be dispensed into various places for the education of new wizards, with his more dangerous tomes to be turned over to the White Council. However, to you in particular? He had something else in mind."

"Now then. This place is Neutral Ground. The Accords will prevent anyone from striking here and the protections laid by the directors will ensure that there are no spies. All according to his plan. Now first of all."

He pulled out a pair of glasses and perched them on his nose as he looked at the paper.

"First to my son. My son in everything but blood, I want you to know I love you very much. I hope you can forgive me for what I am about to do, for I will tear you from your comfort into a much bloody, stressful adventure. But if the thought of saving thousand of lives is enough, then so be it. I will proud of you either way. Should you consent to this, then from my lawyer take the object meant for you. It will be a light in dark places, when all other lights cease to burn. There are others as well, whom I have chosen to help you. Please, accept them for their character as I have. They will be a great help, should they agree."

If taken, the object in question would be what looked like a golden disc, an amulet on a leather cord. The design engraved and representing the sun. It looked as though it could be worn around the neck. Beyond that, there was nothing else save a line on the back of it.

'Think Happy Thoughts'.

"Camilla. Beauty is not something on the outside. Your differences do not make you weak, but rather strong. You have a powerful connection, to forces I dare not say aloud for reasons of my own. I only wish I could have shared more in person, but oh child. Though you owe me nothing, I beg for your help. Your knowledge of the Underground and potions will help my son in the quest I leave for you all. If you accept this task, my lawyer has something for you."

For Camilla, a crystal snowflake pin. Of a sort to pin to your lapel. It feels cold in the hand and slightly heavier then it should be.

"Falline, forgive me. I'm sorry I could not help you more beyond what I managed. I'm sorry I could not find who you sought so diligently and were it in my power, I would. You always struck me as sad, sorrow a familiar friend to us both. That you never stopped spoke volumes to your tenacity and it is that which I need most, to help on this quest. If you accept, then please take this gift. I only wish it could be more."

An old folio of Shakespeares 'The Tempest'. It belonged to Nicholas in life and a flip through saw a quote underlined.

Acknowledge mine."

From the suitcase, each member is given a stylized, cast-iron ring. Lane's in the shape of a lionhead, Iris in the shape of an eagle. Nora's had the head of a Coyote and Reapers with the head of a Crow.

"To Lucifer."

Lucifer blinked and paid close attention, a wary look entering the damphir's eyes as the lawyer spoke.

"You have but one, burning desire....I cannot answer all of it, but I can give it to you if you chose to assist. If not...My lawyer is instructed to give it anyway. It is a heavy burden and I fear you will take it too hard as you have ever done. A monster is a state of mind boy...Remember that, and forgive an old man for telling you something he should have a long time ago."

Lucifer wordlessly, held out a hand and was given an envelope. This he slipped into his inner jacket pocket and then finally spoke aloud.

"I will help as I can. To whatever end. He was a friend to me and I will not turn my back on him."

@LuckycoolHawk9 @york @Klutzy Ninja Kitty @Chewy Rabbits @Thuro 116 Pendragon @Michale CS @Minerva
Iris stood up to take the ring. Her mind raced. A job that wasn't connected to Mobile Task Force Alpha-9? She wondered if her superiors at the Foundation would allow this extra mission. No matter, she picked up her ring, and slipped it into her pocket. She nodded at the lawyer. "I will do whatever I can." Iris then turned and returned to her seat to grab her camera.

@Michale CS @york @Klutzy Ninja Kitty @Chewy Rabbits @Thuro 116 Pendragon @LuckycoolHawk9

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Ringmaster
I took the ring. It's a good thing I'm simply a ghost, and not fae. But Nick wouldn't leave a fae a ring that would burn their finger off, would he? I felt that if any time was appropriate to wear the ring it was now, so I slipped it on.
Iris stood up to take the ring. Her mind raced. A job that wasn't connected to Mobile Task Force Alpha-9? She wondered if her superiors at the Foundation would allow this extra mission. No matter, she picked up her ring, and slipped it into her pocket. She nodded at the lawyer. "I will do whatever I can." Iris then turned and returned to her seat to grab her camera.

I looked over at the reporter - one had to assume she was - fiddling with the camera. "So, how is it that you knew Nick?"
@Minerva

Still, the idea of a job sounded tempting he supposed. It'd be something to do at the very least. Shrugging his shoulders noncommittally, Reaper pulled out his lighter and flicked it while holding out a cigarette. Holding the cigarette in the gap in between his skull, he tucked the lighter away.

In the back of my mind I really, really want to cause a sudden unfortunate gust of wind to blow that damned cigarette out. Disrespectful is what that was, in my mind, but I ignored Reaper as best I could and kept my Coyote trickster nature at bay - for now.

I looked over at the reporter - one had to assume she was - fiddling with the camera. "So, how is it that you knew Nick?"
@Minerva
Iris looked up and brushed a strand of hair back. She smiled softly. "Oh, he's helped me with quite a few stories in the area." She said. She brushed off her blouse"Iris Thompson, Southern Cross Press." She said, offering out her hand to shake.

Iris looked up and brushed a strand of hair back. She smiled softly. "Oh, he's helped me with quite a few stories in the area." She said. She brushed off her blouse"Iris Thompson, Southern Cross Press." She said, offering out her hand to shake.
I lifted my hand, and for an instant it seemed to flicker, but I held it together. Come on, Old Joe, just give me another hour huh? Wouldn't do to phase out right now would it?

I shook Iris' hand. "Nora Talon, of Talon Investigations, since we're introducing each other that way."

"So, some will, eh? Finish up a task for Nick. I suppose we'll find out soon enough what it is... but I'm very curious."

@Minerva @ anyone else who wants to chime in.

Derek was quiet during the will and was trying not to ball his eyes out, especially when he had heard that his father had loved him much. Had. His death still string more than he cared to admit and he hardly called his quest for his father as comfortable, but he wasn't about to give up and let his father down. He was going to save thousand of lives, even if he was only doing it for a dead man. He was quiet as he took the amulet giving a nod when asked if he was going to accept the quest. He stared at the back and wondered what the message on the back meant if that was ever going to come in handy, he listened to the rest of the will and saw that everyone had been giving something. " So, I guess whoever consents should talk to me," he said, saying it mostly to be obvious.

@york @Klutzy Ninja Kitty @Chewy Rabbits @Thuro 116 Pendragon @Michale CS @Minerva @Ringmaster

Last edited:

'Think Happy Thoughts'.

Acknowledge mine."

"To Lucifer."

Derek was quiet during the will and was trying not to ball his eyes out, especially when he had heard that his father had loved him much. Had. His death still string more than he cared to admit and he hardly called his quest for his father as comfortable, but he wasn't about to give up and let his father down. He was going to save thousand of lives, even if he was only doing it for a dead man. He was quiet as he took the amulet giving a nod when asked if he was going to accept the quest. He stared at the back and wondered what the message on the back meant if that was ever going to come in handy, he listened to the rest of the will and saw that everyone had been giving something. " So, I guess whoever consents should talk to me," he said, saying it mostly to be obvious.

@york @Klutzy Ninja Kitty @Chewy Rabbits @Thuro 116 Pendragon @Michale CS @Minerva @Ringmaster
Camilla Owens

Camilla leapt from shadow to shadow, traveling as fast as she could to the location of the funeral, but in her haste... She had gotten sidetracked a couple of times, as she wasn't used to traveling so much amongst the surface, and eventually, a mysterious shadow entered the room, with two distinct golden outlines. The shadow quickly began rise from the ground all of a sudden, as it finally entered it's desired location, and soon seemed to solidify, and form a strange girl with black hair, and a matching black cloak, and a pale complexion. Two golden wings were fainly visible, protruding from the back of her robe, despite some flowing fabric somewhat masking them, contrasting her otherwise shadowy outlook. It seemed that Camilla had just arrived; the funeral was starting, and she listened closely, fighting to keep her tears at bay... She already knew Nicholas's days were limited, but she had no idea it would end all of a sudden... Like this.

At the very least, the kind Wizard had went peacefully, in his sleep, the most painless way to go... Or, at least, she hoped so. The initial procession didn't take long, and soon, the coffin was lowered into the ground, and eventually, most attendees had left... Except for Camilla, and a few others that had remained. It would appear that Nicholas's Lawyer had some more private business with them... And she patiently waited, listening to what he said. Her name was mentioned almost immediately after Derek's; the old Wizard's last words to her managed to draw a few tears, ones that she had barely the time to fight. Carefully, she wiped them away, and took the pin she was offered, though she didn't feel like she deserved such a precious thing, she couldn't just leave a parting gift of someone who had saved her life many years ago.

Times had changed since then, but his help had never been forgotten, and day by day, she sought for a way to repay him... And now, as she carefully studied the pin she got, noticing it's unusual weight, and coldness, she realized she had the perfect opportunity to do just that. Hearing Derek speak, Camilla didn't hesitate to approach Derek, clearing her throat a little.

"I'm happy to be of service." She said, offering him a polite smile.

Over her years of brewing, she had slowly learned how to interact, and socialize correctly with others... After all, proper knowledge on the standard social etiquettes of those who lived above the ground was key to keeping her brewing business going.

Walking neatly forward, she took the offered ring, peering at it thoughtfully. It was cold iron, and the lion imprint at the front would leave a nice mark on anyone that needed their jaw reordered. It was practically an anti-fey weapon, like the loaded Sig Sauer at her side.

Still, for all it's usefulness in combat, she had a feeling that wasn't why the old man had it given it to her. The lion... what did the lion represent? Was she supposed to be the lion, strong and fierce? It may have had a small grounding in reality, but Lane dismissed the thought immediately. She was no lion, had no mighty roar.

It must be something else, something to do with the old man's mission. Which actually brought herself to the further question, why were they here? Together they had an incredibly diverse set of skills and powers, Lucifer's Executor training, Derek's sheer strength, the new arrival's apparent ability to travel through shadow's, her own
combined investigative and combat skills from years in the LAPD and BRPD, and finally the wildcard factor of the others who hadn't revealed their special abilities.

Drawn deep from her own cynical and paranoid nature, she briefly wondered if the old man had been collecting this outfit of freaks and monsters over the course of his life. She immediately chastised herself for the thought, Nicholas had never shown her anything but utmost kindness and respect to her and everyone he'd met.

Shaking herself free of these thoughts, she decided it'd be best to focus on the job at hand. Unfortunately, it was the lawyer's prerogative to give out this information when he felt the time was right. However, that didn't mean she needed to mill around aimlessly. She could pick up details about the others and maybe get an idea of who they were. Things were never as they seemed in the Hidden World.

Sidling over to the young girl and the woman that wouldn't have looked out of place on the set of Dog Day Afternoon, she effortlessly inserted herself into the conversation.

"Lane Murphy..." Private investigator. She had almost said. Might as well be honest though. "...Mercenary."

@Michale CS @Minerva

Walking neatly forward, she took the offered ring, peering at it thoughtfully. It was cold iron, and the lion imprint at the front would leave a nice mark on anyone that needed their jaw reordered. It was practically an anti-fey weapon, like the loaded Sig Sauer at her side.

Still, for all it's usefulness in combat, she had a feeling that wasn't why the old man had it given it to her. The lion... what did the lion represent? Was she supposed to be the lion, strong and fierce? It may have had a small grounding in reality, but Lane dismissed the thought immediately. She was no lion, had no mighty roar.

It must be something else, something to do with the old man's mission. Which actually brought herself to the further question, why were they here? Together they had an incredibly diverse set of skills and powers, Lucifer's Executor training, Derek's sheer strength, the new arrival's apparent ability to travel through shadow's, her own
combined investigative and combat skills from years in the LAPD and BRPD, and finally the wildcard factor of the others who hadn't revealed their special abilities.

Drawn deep from her own cynical and paranoid nature, she briefly wondered if the old man had been collecting this outfit of freaks and monsters over the course of his life. She immediately chastised herself for the thought, Nicholas had never shown her anything but utmost kindness and respect to her and everyone he'd met.

Shaking herself free of these thoughts, she decided it'd be best to focus on the job at hand. Unfortunately, it was the lawyer's prerogative to give out this information when he felt the time was right. However, that didn't mean she needed to mill around aimlessly. She could pick up details about the others and maybe get an idea of who they were. Things were never as they seemed in the Hidden World.

Sidling over to the young girl and the woman that wouldn't have looked out of place on the set of Dog Day Afternoon, she effortlessly inserted herself into the conversation.

"Lane Murphy..." Private investigator. She had almost said. Might as well be honest though. "...Mercenary."

@Michale CS @Minerva
"Did work for old Nick as well, huh? I'm Nora Talon, of Talon Investigations. I guess we'll all end up talking to Derek. This can't be easy for him. It's bad enough losing family, but having to gather people for some mysterious quest to boot? That has to be a real bummer. Can't say that this is out of character for Nick though. Seems his style. I guess we should get on over to see just what it is we need to do soon." I was rambling again, I tend to do that when I have a lot on my mind. But, I figured I owed the late arrival a quick rundown of what she missed.

As for what signals I was sending, unbeknownst to me to the observant, under my casual veneer, I was worried and a little anxious.

@Thuro 116 Pendragon , @Minerva

All but one seemed to agree. Nevertheless, the lawyer cleared his throat as he spoke.

"For all of you, perhaps its time we actually detailed the job. I am informed to say that should you wish to withdraw afterwards...No harm, no foul. He will not judge you or blame you for the choices to be made."

He cleared his throat and pulled out a letter...One in which was to decide the fate of an entire city.

And perhaps humanity itself.

---------

1135b930da1c7b26a9bd4b5bd564d02e.jpg

On March 10, 1933 while traveling the Underground in search of a madman, I and two others discovered a hidden temple, deep within the bowels of the earth. Its craftsmanship was curious to behold, the walls slick and cold, shining like obsidian. The air was stifling, but this was where our quarry had come to ground and we chased him further on.

Eventually, we came to what appeared to be a place of worship. A place where our man had in hand, a tome of the darkest magic as he attempted to read. What may have happened is unknown, as one of our Wardens killed him before the incantation was finished. Deciding it was best to do away with it, we opted to burn it away.

No sooner had we engulfed it in flames, did the earth shudder around us and only after hastily putting it out did the quake stop. We could not destroy it. We could only hide it and dividing it into three, we took it to the White Council and they hid the three pieces all across the Los Angeles area, after determining that removing all too far away would result in the same thing.

Even as I write this, one of the vaults has been broken into...I fear the other two are not far behind. Our enemy is cunning and everywhere. It knows things it could not possibly know, always seems to be one step ahead. And so I leave you with this. The bare amount of knowledge I dare, to ensure it does not get its hand upon the pieces. Find the vaults. Trust no one but those who have proven worthy. Stop this evil, before it unleashes what we have tried to stop.

I remain children, your patron and friend.

-Nicholas

For a moment, silence reigned and Lucifer frowned. One hand stroked his chin in thought, as he analyzed what had been shared before finally speaking.

"This changes nothing for me. So we know the enemy seems to know things before they happen...Precognition? Or a traitor? If its a traitor, no wonder Nicholas didn't trust the authorities. And if Precognition....The less we know, the more of a headstart we'll have on the creature or enemy this thing is. So the only question left I suppose...Is where do we go first?"

At that point, the lawyer slipped out a wand from his sleeve, pointing it to his head.

"Oblivate!"

He jerked slightly, blinked and looked at a note on his hand before nodding.

"That takes care of things. I know nothing, everything is in order- According to me and my clients last wishes are fulfilled. Gentlemen...Ladies. Good luck."

And with a bow of his head, he stepped over the threshold and vanished in a pop.

• Useful
Reactions: Michale CS
She was but a single pair of hazel eyes, staring up into the vast stretch of dark sky above Los Angeles. With the busy hustle and bustle of daily life in the city, the female who owned said pair of hazel eyes was all but forgotten by most who saw her. She was but a fleeting breeze, a mystery to anyone who were to meet her. She didn't even use her real name, in fact, but it didn't matter. Faline is who she is now, a single soul of many within the city, intending to take care of her own agenda. Presently, however, she had put her agenda aside. She had something important to do, which happened to be attending the funeral of an old friend.

It seemed like only yesterday she had met with Nicholas for the very first time. Faline stumbled across him while trying to find a way to track down the missing person, her brother, whom she so desperately craved to find. He was a powerful wizard, and seemed to have been helpful to many others, but even this man couldn't help Faline find him. He had tried his best and she could see sympathy in his eyes for her cause, so she didn't exactly blame him--even though she wanted to. Faline badly wished she had someone to blame, someone right in front of her to punish for taking away the most important person in her life, but the only person she could blame was the one who had kidnapped him in the first place. If she could ever find him, that is.

Adorned in a black top and a long, dark skirt to match, Faline walked along the sidewalk toward the funeral home--a pair of noticeable red high heels clicking against the ground as she did. A dazed expression covered her features. It showed that although her mind was set on going to the funeral, her heart was still more into the search for her brother. She wasn't always focused on her task, but whenever she found another lead to aide her search, it was all the brunette could think about.

Stopping abruptly when Faline realized she had nearly passed the Ibis and Jacquel Funeral Home, she turned and began to walk for the door. A pang of guilt struck Faline when she looked around and realized she was late, but she supposed that if Nicholas knew why she had been late to his funeral he would understand. The man had been well aware of how much Faline wanted to find her bother.

And, at least, Faline had ended up on time for whatever this "private business" was that Nick's lawyer wanted to discuss with herself and a few others. Why the deceased wizard would have left anything for Faline she wasn't exactly sure, but the least she could do was stay to respectfully listen to what he would've wanted.

Although she was a different sort of being who didn't have a beating heart in her chest, Faline could've swore it skipped a beat after hearing the lawyer read her old friend's writing. After he had finished, she graciously accepted his gift and stepped back with the others. As she watched the others come forward, the brunette wondered what sort of individuals these people were. She was special herself, so she was certain everyone else here was as well.

Soon after, Faline felt another pang in her gut. Nicholas wanted her to help with something. At first she didn't speak up. After all, she still needed to find her brother! And yet, this man had been kind to her and had helped her even when few others had. Wouldn't it be wrong to just ignore his wish? Faline knew if her brother was here, he'd want her to help him.

"I guess I'm in too," she finally said, crossing her arms with a vacant expression on her face. She wasn't too happy about helping, but she knew she would feel worse if she refused. Ugh, why did she have to be so nice sometimes?

After the job was explained to them, Faline stepped forward, deciding to approach Camilla. "I'm not sure what to make of all this. What do you think about this job?" she asked.

@LuckycoolHawk9 @york @Ringmaster @Chewy Rabbits @Thuro 116 Pendragon @Michale CS @Minerva

Status
Not open for further replies.