Birds of a Feather

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Every so often, Tamsin couldn't help but bend down to look into the oven, despite the fact that there was nothing she could do to help or hinder it baking. After checking it again, she took the salad, "It shouldn't be too long now. Hopefully no burning." She chuckled innocently.

Xent shrugged, "Yeah ... then i'd know not to let either of us bake the bread." He joked a bit, smiling softly with a wink, "I'll join you soon. Kay?" He asked Tamsin, watching the girl, his neck tensed slightly.

Tamsin smiled, guessing that there must be somewhere else to find bread, should this go horribly awry, not that it mattered. The aroma became stronger, and eventually the smell became almost colourful, which was her cue to remove the bread. And there it was, "I think it's okay." She showed off the loaf, setting it aside to cool.

He smiled and nodded, it looked really good, much bettr than the black bread he usually ate. He nodded softly, "Yeah ..." He finished with the steak's and smiled, "I may not be good with bread, but I can handle meat." He winked.

"So, between us we've got the important bits covered. Meat and bread, what more could we need?" She laughed, settling down to eat what looked to be a pretty perfectly cooked chunk of meat. And as expected, it was as tender as it appeared.

He smiled a little, "Well we also have salad, but i'm guessing you ate your's." He winked and took his stuff to the table, sitting opposite of her, and smiling gently, then looked down at his hand's, and put them on the table, still keeping his head bowed, his hand's now together in a sort of, praying manner, he close his eye's and sat still for a minute or two.

Tamsin followed him to the table, sitting herself down, still with about half a plate of the salad. She wasn't a religious person, but noticed that Xent was pausing, and so waited for him to finish this before getting down to the terribly important business of eating. During the course of the meal, she had to ask, "So, what God do you believe in?"

He stopped for a moment, "God's." He replied, "We are not monotheistic ... and worship many god's, much like ..." He thought of a good example, "The greek's and the roman's." He shrugged slightly, "But ... it's ... very diffrent to us ..." He said, he didn't like geting to into religion, however the Lastan were higly religious, and as such, he was as well, though not wanting to bother her with such trivial information.

Honestly, she was intrigued to know more about this religion, whatever it might be. Of course, it was also none of her business, and so she didn't want to pry too much. "That's...interesting." She replied honestly, attempting a smile that wasn't too awkward, "I mean, everything is, to be honest." She shrugged, though her enthusiasm was difficult to mask.

He smiled softly, "Maybe one day I can teach you more ... if you want ... we have much literature, math, science, magic ... much here." He smiled softly, "It's truly great."

Tamsin nodded, "I'd love to learn more, about anything you'll let me." She was sure that there were some things that were off limits to an outsider such as her, but whatever she was allowed to see, she would study until she understood.

He nodded slightly, "Very well ... I'll show you some rather diffrent thing's I suppose." He gave a soft smile and a wink, then thought, "Oh ... how long will you be staying? You may leave whenever, as long as no other outsiders learn ... of where we are, and what we have."

Tamsin liked the idea of what she could learn here, but she honestly hadn't given any thought to when she would be leaving the place. "I don't know, I haven't given it much thought." She hated to be a burden, but also considered that there was no way she could last without help. Her life was nearing its end, unless of course she could rid herself of the phoenix.

He nodded a bit and thought, "Well when you are ready you may leave." He smiled softly, looking in her eyes, and finishing his portion of the food a bit quickly. "So long as you keep quiet." He stood up and gave a soft bow.

"Thankyou. You've been so kind to me, I just wish I could think of a way to repay you." Tamsin really did mean that, and felt awful, knowing that she was extremely unlikely to ever be of any use to Xent or his brethren. "Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of telling anyone." She didn't really know any people anyway.

Xent smiled gently, "I need no payment." He looked in her eyes, "I found you for a reason ... the universe never makes mistakes." He took his plate and carried it to the sink before returning.

"So, I'm guessing that's part of your belief system. Fate?" Maybe that was the wrong word, but the idea was just about on the right track. Tamsin took her own plate, not wanting to be lazy. "I suppose we'll see how things pan out." Afterall, that was all they could do.

Xent nodded slightly, "Somewhat I suppose, governed by the goddess of fate Revana." He smiled softly, "She control's much of what happens." He smiled gently, "Unfortunately though ... she sometime's work's with the god of war ..."

That didn't sound terribly good. But, then again, as Tamsin voiced timidly, "That...doesn't bode all that well, does it? But then, I suppose she would have to have a hand in most others' affairs." Fate was pretty much all encompassing, and so she reasoned that this God would need to deal with all the other deities.

Xent nodded, "Yeah ... and you remember how that one guy claimed to be possesed by a god? Verniok is the name of our god of war." He shokk his head, "If he truly is being possesed by him, it's a very bad sign ..." he shook his head and looked in Tamsin's eyes.