Not open for further replies.
R

Random

Original poster
[glow=white]Ashes to Dust.
silence on the invisible air

[/glow]
UNIDENTIFIED SUBSTANCE
Names: Dust, Grain, dark sand, eitr, wind demon, Ash, pillar salt, death dust, Shadow
Chemical structure: unidentified
CAS No.: 9999-99-9
Molar mass: 0 g/mol
NFPA 704: 040BIO
Appearance: Very fine matt-black dust, glows in low light conditions and when reacting
Additional notes:
  • unidentified extraterrestrial substance
  • categorisation date: 07-18-2018
  • reacts in highly unpredictable ways with nearby substances
  • is not annihilated on contact with antimatter
  • does not react to fundamental forces with the exception of gravity
  • melting and boiling points unknown
  • momentary exposure to single particulate has exactly 50% chance of causing living organisms to instantly die
  • IT CAN THINK
It's 2037. It's been 20 years to the day since the first Duststorm.
The first one was small. A meteorite fell and broke open in Russia. Nobody thought anything of it.
Just over two pounds of Dust spilled out, and a breeze picked it up.
Then people started caring.

jiepZ0N.jpg

In months, shelters began to be built around the world. It didn't take much. One loose mote could wipe out entire cities, consuming them and their inhabitants in odd fountains of chaos and disorder that laughed in the face of natural laws and common sense alike.

p7XqqE0.jpg

And people hid and cowered.
Even in the shelters, life wasn't the same. It didn't take long to realise that even the newborn children were somehow different.

NI1xHxk.jpg

Eight years went by. The fear began to subside.
People grew braver. The Dust wasn't hanging over them anymore.
They opened their doors.
And the Dust was everywhere.
It too had multiplied, permeating the entire atmosphere.
The very air had become toxic, and the world had settled into something new.

LDu0EYU.jpg

But it couldn't kill everyone.
Just as the Dust had killed, it also brought new life.
And even that merciless Dust which killed millions, perhaps billions, before, could not kill the children.

hri4PWr.jpg

New diverse creatures rose from the Dust, who bonded with it, could command it.
The natural laws were decided by the Dust now.
For that reason, these new beings, the Ashen, were more powerful than humans had ever been.

UN0xAou.jpg

The world was destroyed, but it was not ruined.
It is only just beginning.
Not all hope is lost for humanity.
Some of us can still walk outside.
The children from after that fateful day twenty years ago have a chance.
Because we too are Ashen.

T7hzxNv.jpg

From Dust we came, and to Dust we shall one day return.
But until that day comes, the world of our forefathers is ours now.
And we shall make it anew.
Dust
The Dust is a mysterious particle that came to Earth via meteorite, and has saturated the entire world in the space of twenty years. It randomly bends reality in strange ways and will kill any living thing that comes from a Dust-less environment in an instant just by being nearby, but appears to be sentient (although good luck trying to figure out any kind of motivation for it). It seems to be able to create its own life as part of its mysterious powers, and somehow rendered all humans born after it arrived Ashen, despite there not being a single mote of Dust in the shelters where they were born.

If the Dust in an area reaches a "critical mass", there will occasionally be a Duststorm that temporarily rends its surroundings into a bizarre, headachingly incomprehensible messes called "Neverlands". It usually takes around four days for Neverlands to return to normal, and they aren't especially dangerous once the storm has subsided. In fact, finding a fresh Neverland is often a great thing for Ashen, as it allows them to gather a lot of Dust very quickly. That is, assuming they're willing to deal with a lot of newly-animated monsters, which can be dangerous for those unprepared. Not to mention, while the Ashen can commune with the Dust, it is still fundamentally lethal to living things, and so anything caught in the Duststorm, Ashen or not, can be prepared to be distorted into non-existence.

The Dust is black, but glows in low light and when actively changing something. The individual motes are too small to see under anything short of an electron microscope, making any sample of Dust concentrated enough to be visible to the naked eye seem like "solid darkness", as well as being so small that despite the astounding quantity of Dust in the atmosphere, it's totally invisible in practical terms. It also doesn't appear to have any mass, and is nearly intangible, so it can't take solid or liquid forms, and any will it has is thus enacted by bringing something else to life.

Ashen
Beings that can communicate with the Dust. It's unknown what causes them to occur, but all life that can exist outside shelters is by definition Ashen, as the Dust will kill anything else. Even the grass is Ashen, which can cause curious things like forests that ensnare would-be explorers and statues that come to life to plant flowers. Ashen can utilise the Dust to manifest various abilities that are usually unique to themselves.

Dust is naturally attracted to Ashen, so it's easy for them to utilise their abilities under normal conditions, but it's not unheard of for them to go and gather Dust for the purposes of using more powerful abilities. As such, Dust is a precious commodity for the Ashen, and given that it is the one thing it is impossible for them to be able to synthesise, it is also used as currency.

Ashen aren't just humans, however. Even the ones who are human may have odd features, like strange eyes, animalistic features, or bizarre mutations. Some things are more subtle than others, but the standard of "normal" has long ceased to be come the Ashen generation.

Non-human Ashen include literally anything that the Dust has created or animated, the most notable among them being animated buildings, sentient forests, talking cats, and even creatures such as fairies and dragons.
Generally, non-human Ashen are hostile to humans by default, as they were not born of the Dust, only molded by it. It isn't unheard of for humans to tame, befriend, or command non-humans, however, as it has always been since the first smart monkey jumped on the back of a sabretooth tiger.

Non-Ashen are restricted to underground shelters, which Dust, as a component of the atmosphere, normally won't enter. They are, on average, equipped to support a population of 5,000 for 50 years, but most shelters are just a little over half-full, since the shelters were built to outlast the Dust. It doesn't look like that's going to happen.

The world is still young for the Ashen, and there is plenty to explore. Who knows how accurate those old maps still are with the Dust around? There's only one way to find out...
Name:
Remember, the Dust first appeared exactly 20 years ago, so anyone old than that is not Ashen and therefore dead the moment they try to go outside.
Appearance: Try for 1-2 paragraphs, or just use a picture like the rest of us.

History: Try for at least a paragraph, but if you can do more, go for it.

Personality: Try for at least two paragraphs.

Skills: Neat things they can do, like cooking, tailoring, compiling bestiaries, CQCing the everloving bejeezus out of anything in their way...
Abilities: Anything that they can do using the Dust. Go wild, but try to keep it balanced and within a general theme.

Other: Anything else that doesn't go in the above categories?

Last edited by a moderator:
That the fanatics formed a sub-group in a civilian shelter, and refused to mingle with the rest of the shelter-ites, perhaps lacking the skills to keep their little closed-off area maintained?
That would make sense. That supports the idea of the mass suicide, too: all they needed to do was open their own section of the shelter into the outside world, thus nobody but the fanatics died. Still not sure why the weapons would be there, though, since while I'm certain some people in shelters want their neighbours dead (human nature and all), a humanity literally driven underground is more inclined to preserve itself as best it can.
Would it make more sense to have the group seal off their tunnels, in fear of being 'contaminated' by Dust, or perhaps exiling Ashen?
Contrary to what you might think, exiling Ashen doesn't happen very often. They are still the children of the shelter-dwellers, after all, and maybe if it was just one child, parents could be pressured into giving them up, but since literally every single person under the age of 20 is Ashen, even a pitchfork-wielding mob would have a hard time convincing so many parents to part from their children.
Perhaps re-working it so that the cult itself decided to 'transcend'..?
And then they tried to wipe out everyone, but, sealed off and ignorant of the Ashen, didn't realise the children would survive? That would keep her title of Administrator, but I ponder on what happened to lead to her traumatic failure if that was the case. Perhaps, since the Dust got into the shelter, they suffered the effects of becoming a toxic wasteland via a Duststorm?
She's just a nice, well-meaning Ashen who had a pretty bad couple of years. The future'll surely be better!
She's more right than you know. yes there's an actual plot now, bravo for me children bravo indeed

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
Just a note, I'll start working on a fixer-upper, and I'll beep at you when it's done. I've got a pretty good idea of how to make her work a bit better for your tale, though that last message is just a little ominous... In the best way.

Reactions: Random
I'll probably get a sheet up tomorrow. Be warned, I'm used to making fairly fancy sheets so this will be no exception. I'm sorry.

Reactions: Verdegris
Everybody loves fancy sheets. I look forward to it.
It won't be super fancy with a background and stuff, but I'll do my best.

embed.php

Kuchiki.Rukia.600.1653356.jpg

"Ooooo, fresh blood. Heheheheh- wait, where are you going? Let's be friends!"

embed.php

Robin Walker

embed.php

embed.php

Female

embed.php

Not very tall or large, Robin tends to invoke more of a imp-like aura than a real demonic one. She has small horns on her head, pointed ears, and long canines indicative of a demon's. Her eyes are a bright blue, and her hair is black, and very obviously cut short in one motion than cut in a careful manner. She tends to dress in dark colors, allowing her to move without restraint and not be noticed by other Ashen or whatever she finds in Neverlands. She covers her face when exploring, often with cloth than any other material. Her upper arms are scarred and her hands are heavily calloused from climbing, and there's a large scar across the back of her neck.

embed.php

Robin was born in a shelter like most other human Ashen, but from a young age, it was clear to see that she wasn't like the other kids at her age. Her pointed ears were obvious, and as she grew, her horns only became harder to hide. Robin was born into a shelter of mostly scientists, so she was treated kindly as a science experiment at first, but when other kids showed that they were strange too, she lost the thing that made her special at age six. In fact, she was picked on by the other kids because her features and strangeness was more easily pointed out and more easily taken advantage of. Robin often claimed that she didn't like noises other children couldn't hear, or seemed to be able to pinpoint specific sounds to predict who was coming towards her.

In the end, some adults claimed she was a demon, too. Robin learned to be quiet with her mother, never trying to act strange and covered up her ears and horns as best she could. It wasn't enough, but Robin figured that it was better than outright being ignored altogether.

Her mother barely wanted anything to do with her, the highly old world religious woman claiming that she'd birthed a demon and Robin was given to the scientists as a lab rat without much care. Some surgeries were taken without Robin's permission to see what her body was like, and while she still has some scars from it, they didn't discover much. Without much to stop them from doing so, they decided to test if Robin could survive the Dust. She was the only one in her shelter to be tested as such, and expected to die. After many precautions were taken, Robin walked outside, turned around and walked back inside. The scientists told her that they weren't prepared to let her enter the shelter again, so she had to figure out a way to survive until they could. She was ten when she started to try and survive on her own.

After a few close calls, Robin managed to find an older Ashen after wandering into a Neverland to find food, and was taken care of and taught how to survive on her own for about a year, and then the older Ashen left, presumably to find more about this world. Robin went back to her old shelter later, but was still shut out. Robin decided to wander the wider world to try and find a way to live that was better than waiting in a cave for adults to help her. Time passed, and very few other Ashen were met, and eventually Robin settled for another, bigger cave to live in and to put things she found interesting in. She also has a pet Ashen Lizard that has wings, but it's about the size of a normal lizard. Sometimes it breathes a small spout of flame when angered. She found it while investigating her first Neverland, and found it all by itself, without any family, and sympathized with the lizard she dubbed, 'Sir Scales'.

embed.php

Robin isn't suspicious, but is moderately cautious when she perceives something as a threat to herself. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending, she doesn't see other human Ashen as a threat to herself. Like a small kid, she'll follow other Ashen or attempt to make friends with them from a distance, often waiting nearby to see if they like the gifts she leaves them or not. In a few cases, she'll cause her target undue stress because she accidentally made them think they were being targeted by some kind of stalker. Robin is not well socialized and is used to being on her own, so she tries to get along with other people the best she can, but sometimes she ends up scaring the crap out of them. The flipside of course, is that she acts pretty feral when approached first by a human Ashen and tends to fight rather than flee.

Robin likes collecting and learning about Dust and the life within Neverlands. She often goes into them to gather new plants and see what new experiences she can have. She has a small garden of Dust plants that she tries to keep alive outside of the Neverlands, mostly bright colored flowers that she thinks are pretty. She also explores some ruins to see what she can recover there.​

embed.php

• New experiences
  • Nice People
  • Flowers
  • Pleasant Sounds
  • Old things
  • Her Pet, Sir Scales. A tiny dragon-lizard Ashen. About the size of her hand.
embed.php
  • Sharp Things
  • Blood
  • Surprises
  • Being Touched
embed.php

Self taught chef, she can cook anything if she has time and ingredients and a recipe. However, most of the time she just makes the same few foods.

Survival skills, she knows how to tell which plants are safe or not, though this is partially due to her ability, she can still look and tell if a plant is safe or not. She can also sew and make her own clothes as well as pick safe places to camp for the night. These were taught to her, so she is very strict about these skills.

Knows how to stay hidden when she needs to be. Due to years of being in the wild, she knows to hide from other Ashen unless she knows it's safe, but with human Ashen it's more to gauge their reactions than to stay safe. She mostly knows how to make herself small and unnoticed, this was taught to her by fear in the shelter she was born in.

Horticulture, she maintains Ashen Plants by herself and studies them. Her garden isn't huge, but likely bigger than one would expect.

embed.php

Enhanced hearing. The ears aren't just for show, Robin can hear about twice as well as a normal human, but can get overwhelmed by high-pitched noises or too much noise all at once. Her ears also can move to swivel like a cat's, but more often she exaggerates the movements when interacting with other Human Ashen, as she thinks it's cute. In higher Dust concentrated areas, she can 'hear' the vibrations between Dust and can sense Duststorms, but is more easily overwhelmed by noise.

Dust Alchemy. While it has a fancy name, through touch Robin can excite Dust into one of the four elements, what it turns into is down to probability. Water (though there's a fifty percent chance it'll be ice), Fire, Stone, and Air. She can't control how much Dust will change or where it will change, but she can manipulate it to almost look like magic. Her favorite thing she can make is water, though she isn't sure if it is drinkable or not. She has to be careful, as sometimes she can use the Dust directly on her hands if she has been handling Dust, causing them to be burnt or freeze.

Dust Flora Sympathy. Due to the nature of her taking care of a few flowers, she tends to not anger living Ashen Plants, and can communicate with them to an extent. Plants also tend to try and be taken with her, often causing her to have leaves and flowers in her hair, along with seeds on her clothes.

Wall crawling. More aptly put, she has the ability to stick to various surfaces and climb them, even if the surface is perpendicular to the ground. She needs to put at least two of her limbs on a surface to remain stuck to it, and only her hands and feet have the ability to stay stuck to surfaces.

embed.php

Sir Scales, with the GM's permission, is actually a baby dragon that will grow larger as time passes. Otherwise, he'll just remain a tiny lizard with wings and fire breath.

PyU9iZs.jpg

BERYL
Weapon: Depends on form​
  • BERYL;aquamarine (STR) - spear
  • BERYL;goshen (AGL) - nodachi
  • BERYL;morgan (END) - longsword
  • BERYL;emerald (DST) - scythe
  • BERYL;heliodor (LCK) - warhammer
STR: D
AGL: D
END: B+
DST: A++
LCK: C++

Ability:
Crystal Rainbow
BERYL has multiple forms that boost her capabilities in a single attribute to immeasurable levels (S) at the cost of reducing the others to below average (D). These normally cannot be accessed normally and ordinarily would require fulfilling a set of complex conditions to activate each form, but Robin's Alchemy makes it incredibly easy to bypass this process.

Supposedly, BERYL has a sixth form, but refuses to allow its use for some reason.

Personality:

Last edited:
OH MY GOODNESS SIR SCALES IS PURE AND WONDERFUL AND I LOVE HIM AND OF COURSE HE CAN BE A BABY DRAGON.

Robin is quite sweet, I think, in her own way. Her innocent stalkerish tendencies are some weird hybrid of creepy and adorable.

I'm having difficulty seeing much of a running theme in her powers, but if you can link them together, I'm willing to look past my own incompetence. There's also a minor phrasing issue in her Alchemy which doesn't change the functionality of it, but is making my OCD senses tingle. In all likelihood, she wouldn't convert the Dust into various elements, but would instead manipulate it and excite it into spawning those elements. Since it's down to probability exactly what happens, she'd still keep her lack of precise control like you mentioned.

OH MY GOODNESS SIR SCALES IS PURE AND WONDERFUL AND I LOVE HIM AND OF COURSE HE CAN BE A BABY DRAGON.

Robin is quite sweet, I think, in her own way. Her innocent stalkerish tendencies are some weird hybrid of creepy and adorable.

I'm having difficulty seeing much of a running theme in her powers, but if you can link them together, I'm willing to look past my own incompetence. There's also a minor phrasing issue in her Alchemy which doesn't change the functionality of it, but is making my OCD senses tingle. In all likelihood, she wouldn't convert the Dust into various elements, but would instead manipulate it and excite it into spawning those elements. Since it's down to probability exactly what happens, she'd still keep her lack of precise control like you mentioned.
It's entirely because of the one image with the guy and the dragon that Sir Scales came to be.

How to make friends: A guide by Robin; step one. Stalk until ready to initiate contact. Step two, realize that you've made them uncomfortable and gift.

Yeah I wanted to get powers down, but it was hard to pin down. Mostly I wanted to give her sort of 'magic'? Her theme is basically demonish nature spirit powers (wallcrawling was mostly the demon side of things) but that's hard to make work... also I'll fix her alchemy power to make that look better.

So... she's like a yakshi?

I am okay with this. Accepted.

Three spaces left.
Nice. I was leaning more shin to but that description is waaayyy better I like it.

Name:
Morph

Appearance:
When Morph isn't shapeshifting into any random thing in sight he becomes a reflective gray blob about five inches tall and a foot in diameter. His shifting mass has similar properties to that of a non-newtonian fluid. If you lightly touch him it will feel like he is a viscous fluid running through your fingers but hit him with enough force and he becomes extremely dense.

History:
From the moment Morph was born his parents knew that he was... different. Not to say that was unexpected considering they knew that their child would be ashen and would have some sort of ability. It was just in the way that he watched everything and everyone around him, mimicking their actions with strange precision. He started to walk after only 4 months and could almost say some words, although having no teeth sort of hindered that.

Around the time he turned two was when he first changed, giving his parents quite a scare. His mother had been trying to pick him when when suddenly she found herself in an awkward sort of hug with a mirror image of herself. Once the initial shock had passed of her two year old suddenly being replaced by... well herself she couldn't help but laugh at the situation, Morph following suit and mimicking her every move. After that incident he continued to randomly change into different people or things for a few minutes before turning back into himself. His mother always found solace in the fact that no matter who he turned into she would know who he was because of his eyes. With every form he took she could see that same glint that his eyes always had as he watched people and copied them. Although it was still slightly confusing when he turned into inanimate objects, which is what causes him to accidentally get himself taken out of the shelter.

At the age of three he had learned to copy speech patterns more effectively which is why no one questioned the day that he turned into his father and walked out of their families room into the rest of the shelter. Everyone that passed was given a simple "Hello." from the young Morph as he walked about aimlessly. Somewhere along the way he found a boy who looked about sixteen walking through the corridors to the entrance of the shelter. The moment Morph caught up to him he saw a strange looking pen in the boy's backpack. It was wooden with an engraved band of gold around the center. He'd never seen anything like it which prompted him to immediately transform into it. The clack of him hitting the ground prompted the teen to turn around and look at him. Thinking he had dropped the pen he picked it up and secured it back into the side pocket of his backpack, not noticing the one already there.

It was only about thirty minutes after he had left the shelter that he realized he had two identical family heirlooms for some reason and upon inspection was then met with an identical copy of himself, yelping in surprise in much the same fashion as he did. Once he had finished feeling out his new body, Morph excitedly surveyed his surroundings, ignoring the questions he was getting from the boy behind him. Without a second thought he raced off in a random direction, giving no thought to where he was going, as three year olds tend to do.

Years passed as he somewhat miraculously survived on his own simply by copying the wildlife and roaming with them from place to place. Over time he picked up on new words from people that he would watch every so often so he had some idea of how to speak but his skills were still severely lacking. Through the years he had forgotten who or what he was originally. He had taken so many forms that he couldn't remember himself, not even his name. On one of the occasions that he interacted with other people he remembered they had used the word 'morph' to describe how he had changed into each of them so in lieu of his real name he decided to adopt the word as his new alias.

Personality:
Morph is above all curious and will charge off into any old abyss if he sees something interesting. 'Something interesting' includes new people to meet and copy which can leave the target group fairly confused when out of no where some sort of animal or whatever Morph happens to be that day charges up to them and transforms into one of them. As such he is very social and likes to be around people that he finds. Morph is surprisingly smart for having left his parents at three to run around in the wild with animals. He's watched and transformed into enough of the flora, fauna, and everything else to tell you all about them with his limited vocabulary.

Having never really been taught about what it is Morph finds the dust really strange. He can't turn into it and he can't really tell what it is. It doesn't act like other things should. From the few people he's talked to he understands that it changed the world and gave the new generation of people abilities. When he finds them he often likes to watch Duststorms from a safe distance, taking in all of the changes it makes to the environment.

Observing changes that Dust makes actively
Warm things like fire or basking in the sun like a coldblooded animal

Dislikes:
The cold
Not remembering who he was

Skills:
He can play music with some leaves, if he can find the right kind

Abilities:
Morph can transform into nearly anything he can see and sometimes has the impulse to do so randomly. One second he could be walking along looking like a normal person and the next he's a jolly sunflower walking with its roots. There is a limit to the size he can grow to which is about as big as an adult dragon but he tends to stay around the size of a person.

The reason Morph can copy the actions of others so well is that he can essentially see what exactly they are made of down to what their cells are made of and their function. Not that he really knows what that stuff is he can just distinguish what it does and that's all he really cares about. Along with this he can track the bio-electricity in the nerves of the people he looks at. After he copies their movements for a suitable amount of time he generally knows how his new body works so that he doesn't end up like a new born in every new form he takes.

Morph is true bean. Accepted.

Two spots, if I'm counting right
sweet jesus these slots suddenly started dropping like flies I need to hurry up on an IC over here

Edit: I LIED THERE'S THREE HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE CHEATED

WIP, as apparently I won't be able to post or work on this for the next two days

Name: "My name is Johnathan Meyers."

Age: "I just turned 18 not too long ago. At least, I think I did. It's hard to tell out here."

Appearance: [spoili]
[/spoili]
[spoili]
"I'm a little over five-eleven, somewhat thin, but not spindly."
[/spoili]

History: "Well... I used to live in a shelter, obviously. My family consisted of my mother, my father, my brother, and myself. There were other people, but I only really knew my family and some of the other children in the shelter. Life was pretty good. Although, it doesn't take a whole lot to please children. We had some teachers there, so we got a little bit of an education

Personality: Try for at least two paragraphs.

Skills: Neat things they can do, like cooking, tailoring, compiling bestiaries, CQCing the everloving bejeezus out of anything in their way...
Abilities: Anything that they can do using the Dust. Go wild, but try to keep it balanced and within a general theme.

Other: Anything else that doesn't go in the above categories?

Morph is true bean. Accepted.

Two spots, if I'm counting right
sweet jesus these slots suddenly started dropping like flies I need to hurry up on an IC over here

Edit: I LIED THERE'S THREE HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE CHEATED
Feels-Bad-Man-Feels-Bad.jpg

That makes three horny people. Come on guys there are kids around

That makes three horny people. Come on guys there are kids around
Just looking around, you appear to be the youngest.

I know! Won't somebody think of the child?!
You...

Uh are you gonna make a sheet too or are you just gonna be the god gm

It's cooled looming in anticipation, and it's an art form! may not actually be an art form

So, with that out of the way I'm really liking what I'm seeing in applications. I think this is going to be a really interesting chronicle..!

Uh are you gonna make a sheet too or are you just gonna be the god gm
*insert mathematician's answer*

I'm an advocate of equal depth theory, so all the random NPCs I throw about will probably get sheets before long. Mostly I'm going to just be contouring events and I doubt I'll stick with one character's perspective in my narration. I run tabletops quite frequently so it's not my style to play a GMPC.

@Verdegris, how far off is the Admin from completion on a scale of done to ten? Any answer's fine, of course, it'd just be good to know for the purposes of the IC and how much time until I should post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.