Not open for further replies.
R

Random

Original poster
[glow=white]Ashes to Dust.
silence on the invisible air

[/glow]
UNIDENTIFIED SUBSTANCE
Names: Dust, Grain, dark sand, eitr, wind demon, Ash, pillar salt, death dust, Shadow
Chemical structure: unidentified
CAS No.: 9999-99-9
Molar mass: 0 g/mol
NFPA 704: 040BIO
Appearance: Very fine matt-black dust, glows in low light conditions and when reacting
Additional notes:
  • unidentified extraterrestrial substance
  • categorisation date: 07-18-2018
  • reacts in highly unpredictable ways with nearby substances
  • is not annihilated on contact with antimatter
  • does not react to fundamental forces with the exception of gravity
  • melting and boiling points unknown
  • momentary exposure to single particulate has exactly 50% chance of causing living organisms to instantly die
  • IT CAN THINK
It's 2037. It's been 20 years to the day since the first Duststorm.
The first one was small. A meteorite fell and broke open in Russia. Nobody thought anything of it.
Just over two pounds of Dust spilled out, and a breeze picked it up.
Then people started caring.

jiepZ0N.jpg

In months, shelters began to be built around the world. It didn't take much. One loose mote could wipe out entire cities, consuming them and their inhabitants in odd fountains of chaos and disorder that laughed in the face of natural laws and common sense alike.

p7XqqE0.jpg

And people hid and cowered.
Even in the shelters, life wasn't the same. It didn't take long to realise that even the newborn children were somehow different.

NI1xHxk.jpg

Eight years went by. The fear began to subside.
People grew braver. The Dust wasn't hanging over them anymore.
They opened their doors.
And the Dust was everywhere.
It too had multiplied, permeating the entire atmosphere.
The very air had become toxic, and the world had settled into something new.

LDu0EYU.jpg

But it couldn't kill everyone.
Just as the Dust had killed, it also brought new life.
And even that merciless Dust which killed millions, perhaps billions, before, could not kill the children.

hri4PWr.jpg

New diverse creatures rose from the Dust, who bonded with it, could command it.
The natural laws were decided by the Dust now.
For that reason, these new beings, the Ashen, were more powerful than humans had ever been.

UN0xAou.jpg

The world was destroyed, but it was not ruined.
It is only just beginning.
Not all hope is lost for humanity.
Some of us can still walk outside.
The children from after that fateful day twenty years ago have a chance.
Because we too are Ashen.

T7hzxNv.jpg

From Dust we came, and to Dust we shall one day return.
But until that day comes, the world of our forefathers is ours now.
And we shall make it anew.
Dust
The Dust is a mysterious particle that came to Earth via meteorite, and has saturated the entire world in the space of twenty years. It randomly bends reality in strange ways and will kill any living thing that comes from a Dust-less environment in an instant just by being nearby, but appears to be sentient (although good luck trying to figure out any kind of motivation for it). It seems to be able to create its own life as part of its mysterious powers, and somehow rendered all humans born after it arrived Ashen, despite there not being a single mote of Dust in the shelters where they were born.

If the Dust in an area reaches a "critical mass", there will occasionally be a Duststorm that temporarily rends its surroundings into a bizarre, headachingly incomprehensible messes called "Neverlands". It usually takes around four days for Neverlands to return to normal, and they aren't especially dangerous once the storm has subsided. In fact, finding a fresh Neverland is often a great thing for Ashen, as it allows them to gather a lot of Dust very quickly. That is, assuming they're willing to deal with a lot of newly-animated monsters, which can be dangerous for those unprepared. Not to mention, while the Ashen can commune with the Dust, it is still fundamentally lethal to living things, and so anything caught in the Duststorm, Ashen or not, can be prepared to be distorted into non-existence.

The Dust is black, but glows in low light and when actively changing something. The individual motes are too small to see under anything short of an electron microscope, making any sample of Dust concentrated enough to be visible to the naked eye seem like "solid darkness", as well as being so small that despite the astounding quantity of Dust in the atmosphere, it's totally invisible in practical terms. It also doesn't appear to have any mass, and is nearly intangible, so it can't take solid or liquid forms, and any will it has is thus enacted by bringing something else to life.

Ashen
Beings that can communicate with the Dust. It's unknown what causes them to occur, but all life that can exist outside shelters is by definition Ashen, as the Dust will kill anything else. Even the grass is Ashen, which can cause curious things like forests that ensnare would-be explorers and statues that come to life to plant flowers. Ashen can utilise the Dust to manifest various abilities that are usually unique to themselves.

Dust is naturally attracted to Ashen, so it's easy for them to utilise their abilities under normal conditions, but it's not unheard of for them to go and gather Dust for the purposes of using more powerful abilities. As such, Dust is a precious commodity for the Ashen, and given that it is the one thing it is impossible for them to be able to synthesise, it is also used as currency.

Ashen aren't just humans, however. Even the ones who are human may have odd features, like strange eyes, animalistic features, or bizarre mutations. Some things are more subtle than others, but the standard of "normal" has long ceased to be come the Ashen generation.

Non-human Ashen include literally anything that the Dust has created or animated, the most notable among them being animated buildings, sentient forests, talking cats, and even creatures such as fairies and dragons.
Generally, non-human Ashen are hostile to humans by default, as they were not born of the Dust, only molded by it. It isn't unheard of for humans to tame, befriend, or command non-humans, however, as it has always been since the first smart monkey jumped on the back of a sabretooth tiger.

Non-Ashen are restricted to underground shelters, which Dust, as a component of the atmosphere, normally won't enter. They are, on average, equipped to support a population of 5,000 for 50 years, but most shelters are just a little over half-full, since the shelters were built to outlast the Dust. It doesn't look like that's going to happen.

The world is still young for the Ashen, and there is plenty to explore. Who knows how accurate those old maps still are with the Dust around? There's only one way to find out...
Name:
Remember, the Dust first appeared exactly 20 years ago, so anyone old than that is not Ashen and therefore dead the moment they try to go outside.
Appearance: Try for 1-2 paragraphs, or just use a picture like the rest of us.

History: Try for at least a paragraph, but if you can do more, go for it.

Personality: Try for at least two paragraphs.

Skills: Neat things they can do, like cooking, tailoring, compiling bestiaries, CQCing the everloving bejeezus out of anything in their way...
Abilities: Anything that they can do using the Dust. Go wild, but try to keep it balanced and within a general theme.

Other: Anything else that doesn't go in the above categories?

Last edited by a moderator:
The power of the lizard wizard will destroy us all.

Alright, I think I took care of everything we discussed.

Looking good. Accepted.

We've got one slot left.

Name: Aloysius Savantine

Appearance: [spoili]
d7vz1la.png [/spoili]
Contrary to his actual age, Aloysius looks to be a slightly androgynous, flaxen-haired boy of around fourteen, possessing jade-green eyes and a fair complexion. He stands at 5'4", with a slender physique, and weighs roughly 110 pounds. His attire sometimes varies, but for the most part consists of a dress shirt, green shorts, a vest, and a blazer. He always carries with him several small containers of Dust, secreted in various locations upon his person. One of them, his "emergency reserve," holds significantly more Dust than the others, though it's visually identical.

History: Aloysius was born in the underground confines of a shelter, where he spent the first fourteen years of his life in relative safety. Despite his Ashen nature, he did not initially exhibit any noticeably inhuman characteristics, and thus remained free of discrimination throughout the majority of his childhood. Ironically, this caused him to grow ostracized from the other children of his generation, as his parents didn't want him interacting with "freaks." Lacking any real sources of entertainment or intrigue, Aloysius spent most of his time learning from the adults of his shelter, acquiring the knowledge and techniques of the old world. He was a precocious student, rapidly devouring what little literature the shelter-dwellers had managed to salvage in their hasty evacuations.

In time, Aloysius grew tired of hiding in a sealed world. He resolved to venture beyond the walls of the shelter; to see first-hand the sprawling landscapes and engineered monuments described in his elders' stories. To this end, he argued tirelessly with the older shelter-dwellers, particularly his parents, who didn't want their son (and one of the few "normal" children in the shelter) recklessly wandering the surface. Eventually, he gave up trying to reason with them and devised a plan to sneak out of the shelter on his own.

By this point, it had already been determined that all children born after the Dustfall were capable of surviving on the surface. In Aloysius's shelter, most such Ashen (human-seeming ones aside) were encouraged to survey the surface as extensively as possible in hopes of finding resources and/or establishing contact with other refugees. Using his familiarity with the elder generation and knowledge of the shelter's operations, he managed to infiltrate one such expedition, smuggling himself outside before anyone noticed his disappearance.

Emerging upon the surface, he encountered Dust for the first time. After confirming that he hadn't dropped dead on the spot, Aloysius set out to explore the unfamiliar land, observing its myriad wonders and logic-defying phenomena. Before long, he discovered his own ability to influence the world around him through the use of Dust. Now, when he isn't traversing the wilderness or refining his powers, Aloysius often spends his time scouring the ruins of civilization, seeking to reclaim something of worth.

Personality: When it comes to socializing, he's an aloof, self-possessed, and supercilious individual. He has no interest in niceties, which causes his manner of speaking to be exceptionally blunt - he'll simply say whatever happens to be on his mind, regardless of whether or not it's tactful to do so. As a result, Aloysius has an unintentional tendency to come off as rather arrogant and condescending, as though he doesn't pay any respect to the ideas of others. In spite of his youthful appearance, he's utterly independent and even somewhat reckless in his actions. Once he's resolved to do something, it's extremely difficult to sway him from his path. Aloysius values his own freedom and personal autonomy more than anything.

Because of his self-centered nature, he doesn't like to deal with anything that he considers overly bothersome. Aloysius is someone accustomed to going about life at his own pace; if he doesn't think a matter is deserving of his attention, he'll spare no effort to avoid or ignore it. This philosophy of his also extends to people: if he can't tolerate someone's presence, he'll simply use his abilities to leave that individual behind (conversely, if he hasn't ditched someone, he probably doesn't find said person inordinately objectionable). For the most part, Aloysius doesn't particularly care what other people think of him. He's not exactly antisocial, but he dislikes conversing about inane topics (weather, fashion, etc.), so he has no qualms about maintaining an ostensibly awkward silence if he lacks anything worthwhile to contribute. Although he was raised in a community that shunned its more blatantly inhuman members, Aloysius rarely concerns himself with the physical appearances of others, preferring instead to evaluate them based on how much they irritate him.

Likes: Aloysius typically pursues his interests with a single-minded intensity. At present, his foremost ambition is to salvage and preserve as much knowledge from the pre-Dust era as he can. He's fascinated by the countless remarkable feats that humans managed to accomplish before the advent of reality-warping Dust, when all they had to work with were their ingenuity and accumulated knowledge of natural laws. Even though many of their techniques and practices are now defunct in the new world, Aloysius believes that the Ashen shouldn't allow those methods to be lost. Consequently, he's made several attempts to repair or recreate antediluvian technology based on his limited knowledge, although the Dust's influence has caused most of these efforts to fail. He's also an incurable bibliophile, and it's not uncommon to find him buried face-down in a book, completely oblivious to his surroundings.

Dislikes: He hates the fact that he's trapped in an immature body. Aloysius can't stand being treated like a child, and moreover finds it annoying that he'll always be physically weaker than an ordinary adult. Additionally, he dislikes people who pretend to be knowledgeable when they are in fact ignorant.

Skills:
•Eidetic memory: Aloysius has trained himself to recollect information with near-perfect accuracy, a skill that has aided him greatly in his travels. Notably, he can't actually remember everything that's ever happened to him - he has to deliberately focus his mind in order to commit a certain image, sound, thought, or scene to memory.
•Comprehensive education: He's received fairly advanced instruction in literature, mathematics, and the physical sciences. Aloysius can read, write, perform complex calculations, and explain the basic principles behind most natural phenomena (Dust interference aside). However, he often has difficulty translating his knowledge into practical applications.
•Rudimentary survival skills: He can start a fire, boil water, find and cook food, pitch a tent, and the likes without having too much trouble. Granted, the tent will probably be lopsided, the food burnt, the fire unshielded, and the water...overboiled(...?), but hey, Aloysius doesn't care.

Abilities: Through Dust, Aloysius holds the power to warp and distort the spatial property of distance.
•Seven-League Boots: compresses the distance between his starting point and his destination during transit, enabling him to traverse dozens or hundreds of miles with a single step.
•Sight Beyond Sight: utilizes spatial compression to transmit light and sound from a distant location to his current position.
•Endless Road: expands or contracts distance in his immediate surroundings, allowing him to perform feats such as turning short hallways into unending corridors, or vice versa. Upon leaving the area, the affected distances return to normal.
•Vector Shot: depletes distance in front of an object whilst simultaneously expanding space behind it, accelerating the projectile rapidly towards its destination.
•Curse of Tantalus: warps distance around his body in order to isolate himself from his surroundings, becoming effectively "unreachable" for the duration of the skill.
•Quintessential Cubit: an innate ability to ascertain distances with flawless accuracy.

Other: Although he doesn't exhibit any blatantly inhuman physical traits, his body hasn't matured or changed at all since he first came into contact with the Dust at age fourteen.

He won't ever admit it, but Aloysius is secretly rather fond of sweets.

Dark Phantasm: [spoili]
7e8a2d1f9e29d5e8e3d79a57958d53e4.jpg
GLASS
Weapon: Knife

STR: C
AGL: C+
END: D
DST: C
LCK: D

Ability:
To The Eye, A Kiss
GLASS enables her wielder to pierce illusions and perceive the true nature of all things, even that which a human might not ordinarily see. All that happens is perceived perfectly, and so the normal perception of the wielder, with no way to coexist with GLASS's perfect eyes, is shunted a moment into the future to allow a moment's precognition.

Personality:
GLASS is a calm, passive, and observant entity. Much like her associated mineral, she doesn't have much of a presence, often seeming to simply blend into her surroundings. She takes quiet pride in her eyes, which never seem to miss anything.[/spoili]

Last edited:
Not bad. Wondering if this will start.

Would you like some imaginary coffee for this digital waiting room? It's just as good as you think it is.

Eh, I'll just have some water. Got any snacks?

Sorry, everyone. I've been waiting for Eryian to respond to a PM and abused the opportunity to plan a bit more in advance than I needed to. The slots aren't all full, but I'll get to work on the IC now anyway, it's been long enough.

EDIT: We're in business.

In that case I'll drink my imaginary coffee later.

And today I'm in a mood to write so yay.

Realized I had completely by accident named Otto's little doll thing Aloysius also, changed it to Diogenes. Talk about bizarre mistakes.

Reactions: Esprit
There's no mistake. It's definitely a conspiracy.

EDIT: @Eryian

Speaking of which, Aloysius is accepted.

We have one free slot left.

• Thank You
Reactions: Esprit and Viral
Hello, thanks for accepting me and apologies for causing a delay! There I was, sitting around like an idiot wondering whether the roleplay had stalled, when I really should've been logging in and checking my messages.

@Viral, Aloysius is a pretty great name, I wouldn't have minded if you'd kept it. Perhaps it could've made for some amusing interactions later on.

@Eryian Actually that would be pretty amusing, so I'll probably change it back. :smile:

Aaaa! I lost the link and then forgot to post! I'm sorry I'll get one up soon!

Okay, y'all, get yo posts in because like it or not, there's going to be a plot in around 24 hours time and the beans will be spilled. The closer you are to the Neverland, the better.

If I've sent you a PM, I'm going to need replies ASAP, or else your character is going to have an objectively bad time for at least a good most of the RP.

Because of how the plot is going to end up advancing, anyone who has not posted is going to be very difficult to thread into it, and thus is more likely to be kicked the longer they go without posting.

Please do not post at the last second. If you haven't posted, I still need to PM you. The sooner you post, the more time we have to work out how your character is going to go about not dying. Okay? Okay.

Reactions: Yaoi Master Gavin
Okay, boys and girls, the vote is in. No, I don't mean that one.

Dark Phantasms will be auxiliary PCs. You guys have total control over their personalities, but I reserve the right to request certain actions for the purposes of furthering the plot.

Alright, we're a little late for the whole twenty-four hours thing, but if you would all be so kind as to add your Dark Phantasms into your profiles, preferably but not necessarily with a few notes on their personalities, that would be awesome.

I will now reveal the Promised Holy Beans of Spilling. Feel free to exposit this through the mouths of the Phantasms if you are so inclined once they meet your characters.

The crater I described in the IC is around 50m in radius, and inside it, characters will find themselves alone, even if, topographically speaking, they aren't. Through the Dust door, one will find a void which functions as a "lobby" of sorts, in which your characters will meet their respective Dark Phantasms. Upon binding themselves to their wielder, another door will appear that will take them into what is known as the Atwix.

The Atwix is a labyrinth of contradictions, yet surprisingly organised for a Neverland. It has many "floors", each of which mimics the perfect average of a different environment. In short, everything that is found in the Atwix is found elsewhere, and what cannot be found in the Atwix will be found nowhere else. Bear in mind, however, that that rule only applies to the environment. The Ashen that one will find exploring it can oftentimes be completely unique and alien even by the standards of the Dustfallen Earth.

At the core of the Atwix, one will find all of the Dust that has gathered from the storm, and the quantity continues to build. This means that one can think of the Atwix as a sort of Dust leech, sapping the Dust from the Earth and leaving it inhospitable for Ashen and non-Ashen alike. The Phantasms do not know why, only that if it were to all be released, the world would return to its ordinary Dust-laden state, and if it were to all be absorbed, the one in possession of it would supposedly transition to a state that is commonly known in human folklore as a "god".

Thus, the Atwix calls to Ashen, beckoning them to its core to see what they might find.

Any questions?

Reactions: Karyra and Esprit
Status
Not open for further replies.