Around the world in 80 pages

A dull ache greeted Genevieve before she opened her eyes. She even considered not opening her eyes, after all it could only get worse. If she stayed still eventually maybe it would go away. As consciousness wrestled it's way to the surface she became aware of the fact that her feet were cold, yet a blanket was half covering her face. She also felt at the fabric of the pillow under her, but she felt something besides the fabric.

It was the feeling of skin that woke Genevieve completely. She sat up quickly and instantly regretted it. She covered her eyes with one hand and groaned. She sat there for a bit one hand losing her up as she decided if she wanted to die or not. Then she remembered what caused her to sit up and she slowly slid her hand away from her face looking right at Mathew. She had slept on him again? Maybe that dying thing wasn't such a bad idea after all.

"Morning?" she said still goggy. She then tugged on the hem of her shirt staring at him in bewilderment caused by her headache and something missing.

Her voice was what made his stir and open his eyes.. "Ohh.. Morning.." he pulled himself away from her as he realized she was leaning over him and he was shirtless. Then he was leaning back against the head board and rubbing his eyes. His head was protesting violently. His face in his hands he slowly farted his fingers letting more and more light in and then looked at her.

"Uugh can't we just lie in bed longer?" he asked flopping down on his side across the top of the bed.

Last night... last night ad been .... wonderful...

He opened his eyes and looked at her unable to suppress a a small smile.

"Would never have guess you were such a good dancer.." he said. "Not a bad friend to have on a night out."

Genevieve rubber her temples, settling down to kneeling in a better position. The champaign was giving her the worst headache. Hadn't she promised herself only one glass? One wouldn't have caused this much suffering. Vaguely she recalled drinking on the ride back to the hotel. What had she been thinkng? Obviously she hadn't been.

Mathew was talking and it took her a bit to comprehend what he was saying. Dancing? Oh yes.... "I'm not all that good, but I did enjoy myself. Thank you for that."

Water would be a good thing she thought and gingerly put her legs on the floor. It would have been nice if she'd thought of water last night. With a supreme force of will she stood up and crossed the room to graba cup and fill it up with water. She took a sip then looked down at the glass. There was a slight smear where she drank. Had she gone to bed without even taking off her make up? She must look like a wreck. Thankfully Mathew likely didn't notice without his glasses on. Upon thinking about Mathew she smiled a little to herself. What she could remember had been fun last night.

By some miracle she thought to fill a second glass and bring it over to the bed. "Here," she didn't know if her felt even half as bad as she did, but it seemed a nice gesture after a night of drinking and dancing and... Well that was really all there was. Except, why was Mathew bare chested this morning? She thought he had a shirt on when she came to bed last night.

He took the glass while pulling his shirt closed around him. He had no idea why it was open but could only assume it had been hot last night. "Thanks." he said softly before sipping the water and leaning back against the headboard closing his eyes to sip again. He tried to run though the events of the night before. The limo, being pissed off at Genevieve and Darline, he couldn't even remember why now, then danging, drinking, talking, more dancing. The limo ride back here and bed.

A reasonable evening and at least nothing that would have Darline looking at them and smirking happened. And the water was helping. He finished the glass before he opened his eyes again and he placed the glass down. "Wait..." he slid towards the edge of the bed and getting on his knees reached into a pocket on the inside of his suitcase and retrieved a bottle of painkillers.

"Never leave home and have to conduct high-stress business meetings without them." he said offering it to her. He had various other tablets too but they wee mostly for allergies.

"Oh thank goodness," Genevieve said taking the bottle and pouring out a couple of pills. "I've never felt quite so wretched after going out. Granted I don't like going out so I've not had many excuses to feel wretched." She took a gulp of water with the pills and handed the bottle back over to Mathew. "Thank you. And thank you for last night. Darlene knows I hate going out, but you made it enjoyable."

There was a bit of color to Geneviev's cheeks as she sat back on the bed and leaned against the backboard. She really hated feeling this miserable. Surely she could have had fun without all that champaign. Then she recalled being less then a great mood when the evening started. That likely had been her downfall right there. "No drinks tonight," she whispered her declaration to Mathew.

He pored himself more water took two of the painkillers then closed his eyes and leaned back against the headboard buttoning up a couple of buttons on his shirt and closing his eyes. Her compliment bade him smile as he fumbled for his glasses. "No drinking tonight." he agreed "I don't go out either, maybe you noticed, being a better dancer than me and everything, but that didn't really matter did it. Just two adults having fun and then going home."

He yawned and leaned his head back. "What do you say to getting some coffee sent up and a cold shower?" he asked. "That sounds like about the best thing right now..."

"Coffee does sound good. Not that I'm very hungry but maybe we should have food brought up too?" The truth was the thought of food did nothing for her, but Genevieve was hoping after the first cup or three she would start feeling human enough to want to live again, and when that happened she could eat.

"You can have the bathroom first. I think I'm going to pretend to be very girly this morning and spend a lot of time in there once I do. Though in honestly I'm just going to sit in the shower and let the water hit me." Or a bath. Genevieve really would have loved to just sit in a bath for a long time. To hell with Darlene and her schedual. At least this time they were not running away. Running involved too much effort. "I have no idea what your sister has planned, but I hope she doesn't expect me to want to do anything before noon!"

He looked at the clock and was surprised noon was closer than he though it was. Agreed... though she probably knows what we're going through... Ughhh" he slipped on his glasses and shook his head slowly then slid off the bed and made his way to the phone, picking it up and ordering room service.

"A large pot of coffee, two mugs, a large greek salad, pancakes and... he looked as her Two eggs, well done, toast, and a plate of waffles."

He offerd her the phone to her if she wanted anything else and retrieved clothes from his bag and disappeared into he bathroom.

Once inside he looked in the mirror and groaned.. he looked a mess but at least it was better than he felt which was like if a sledge hammer had been driven into his skull and left there.

He was about to look away when he noticed something...

He put his finger to his lip and then pulled it away.. sure enough it came away stained... he was confused for a second then he recognized the shade of red. It was Genevieve's lipstick..

He blinked and shook his head in surprise... had they...? he didn't remember, not at the club.. God, what when? He couldn't believe it.. or that he had evidently forgotten. No, he wouldn't tell her. Or Darline. It was the last thing he needed. Though he couldn't deny it made his heart leap a tiny amount.

He unbuttoned his shirt in front of the mirror, still looking at the barely visible stain on his lip, and he was met with a secong surprise.. and a third, a fourth... small red stains, some visibly lip prints others smudged on his chest... Definitely not telling anyone. At least his belt was still on..

He stripped and turned the water on, stepping into the stream and grabbing the soap... the lipstick would wash away.. the dark impression on his collar bone... that would be covered up by his shirt.

By the time Mathew came out of the bathroom room service had already come. Genevieve was sitting in one of the chairs by the table, her feet up on the chair and a blanket over her legs. In her hands she was holding a mug of coffee, her eyes half closed until she realized he was moving around in the room.

"Sorry to start without you," she said giving him a faint grin. She must have taken the time before breakfast had arrived to brush her hair because it looked well managed and not at all like bed hair. There wasn't any evidence that she had taken a bite of anything, but she had placed the plates out for both of them and poured Mathew a first cup of coffee. "Feel refreshed?"

"I am." he said sitting down and giving her a shy smile. then turned quickly to the food in front of him. "And its alright, you can shower as I eat, that way wheres no accidental door openening..."

Why did he have to mention that? He tried to hide behind his mug as he drank his coffee... coffee that was a godsend after the night they had shared.. and what might, and might not have happened.

"So how much do you remember? I remember getting into bed and going to sleep and nothing after that.."

What if she remembered......? Was this trip going THAT way?... was that a bad thing...? More coffee, coffee was much better to think about. Gen was Darline's friend.. not someone to drive away with a pathetic attempt as wooing.

"Um, yeah..." she looked down at her coffee, pretty sure that she was going to lock the bathroom door from now on because of the reminder. She was pretty sure it had been an accident, but still!

She picked up her fork but only picked at her food. "Last night? I barely remember getting back to the hotel honestly. I'm a bit upset at your sister because of that. I told her after New Years I never wanted to see champaign again." Genevieve wasn't very happy with losing a portion of the night, let alone the mild headache she had despite the pain pills and the coffee. Reluctantly she took a few bites of food. "If Darlene shows up before I'm out of the bathroom tell her there's no point trying to drag me out before I'm ready." She then stood, giving Mathew another faint smile and headed into the bathroom.

He dug into his food glad to not be getting steadily more red in front off her. He was surprised by how hungry he was too easing faster than he would have if there was anyone else in the room. Then setting back with his mug cradled between his hands and drinking deep he felt a lot better.

He sighed and moved his hands to slowly rub his temples. So she didn't remember anything, good, that means it didn't happen. Or as good as, Sure he his her tooth impression on his collar bone but no one would see that. Nothing happened last night and that was the end of it.

Still when the knock on the door came he jumped and and spilled coffee on himself.

"Gah.. give me a minute." he said taking off his stained shirt and pulling on another in the rush before opening the door and letting his sister in.

"Its almost mid day I though I'd come and see if you two were alive."

She looked around and her eye caught something the made her grin wickedly.

"Looks like I should have given you more time."

Genevieve took a long shower, like she had warned Mathew. For several minutes she just stood there as the warm water pounded on her skin. Eventually she started to wash her hair and body. When she finally turned off the water she felt a little more human, but if she was going out in public today feeling like she did she wanted the illusion that she was doing fine.

With care she did up her hair and make up. There would be little chance that the camera would know there was still a throbbing headache and if she just remembered to smile she might be able to fool the people around her too. She heard Mathew's voice, and then another. Darlene had made her inevitable arrival. Genevieve took a deep breath, she was as ready to deal with the day as she ever would be. Softly she turned the handle of the door and stepped out.

"Had a good night, didn't you?" Darlene said, with a grin. A grin that made Genevieve feel like someone was in a mischievous mood.

"Right now I'm not too sure," she then deliberately sat down and took up her coffee cup. "Want some?" Genevieve was sure Darlene had another full day planned, but Genevieve wanted a few minutes more before she had to perform. It would be a good day she was sure, but she was having a very slow start.

Mathew ducked into the bathroom once Genevieve was out and pulled a comb though his hair and put his soak to soak in the basin before rejoining the ladies at the table. He didn't feel like going out at all today but knew he had to. Still he could leave Darline the chair and pick up his mug to sip from it.

"Statue, late lunch on the island, have a walk around, come hack, and few pictures around the city and back to the hotel, then onto London."

The bare bones of the plan and Darline was looking between Mathew and Darline in a way that made Mathew look the other way and sip he coffee with more noise that was necessary. She seemed like she was waiting for one of the to crack and tell her what happened, when neither did she pu her back on her lap and helped herself to what she wanted.

It all seemed simple and straight forward. After finally getting enough food in her system to feel she could make it though the morning activities Genevieve pushed her plate away. Darlene took that as the cue to start playing wrangler again and herd them out of the hotel and into a cab. When they got to the docks there was a bit of a wait for the next ferry so Darlene dictated they needed a few photos by the water.

As Genevieve stood beside Mathew, one of his arms around her waist, her with a fake smile she whispered to him. "I'm sorry if I'm not very good company today. I really shouldn't have drank like I did last night." There was a flash of the bulb and then Darlene told them to look out at the statue. As she looked at Lady Liberty, Genevieve hoped today would continue to be less stressful then the first few days.

Mathew was feeling better after food and coffee, but still not human enough to genuinely smile when Darline told him to. "I might not be my best today either. I shouldn't have drunk as much as I did.." he clearly blamed himself for it instead of Darline. He should have been man enough to refuse. Even though he had enjoyed himself..

It still didn't prepare him for Darline walking up to them, pulling on his shirt collar, taking a picture then pulling it closed again and giving both him and Darline a grin. This made Mathew adjust his collar again.. Darline knew? and now had a picture? Great start to the morning.

Genevieve was perplexed. She had no idea what just happened, but from the way Darlene had grinned she felt she ought to. She glanced at Mathew, but wasn't sure what to take from his expression. Annoyed for sure, but it didn't really tell her what just happened. She felt like she was missing some grand joke.

None too soon the ferry arrived and they boarded on. The trip across the harbor wasn't to take very long, but it was already breezy at the dock and with the speed of the boat and little cover as they stood outside Genevieve realized that her little sweater was not up to the task. She wasn't going to say anything though, she just knew if she did Darlene would try to make something of it, and there was enough room to be comfortable around all the people, but not enough for another of Darlene's photo shoots. Genevieve just tried to stand as close to Mathew as she could without looking like she was trying to stand close to him. Or at least that was the plan.

Mathew seemed to go quiet after the photos as he boarded the ferry. He did noticeably glare at Darline for a moment before standing with his back to the wind. "So this is the last sight we'll see in New York." he said. "This time tomorrow we'll be in London.. Its a little daunting." he was also nervous about the flight and was talking to talking's sake wanting to distract himself with what was now on Darline's film.

"I've read a lot about London's history.. its one of the places I'm looking forwards to and I know I've never go there by myself. I don't think I would travel by myself at all if it wasn't for work. But it does get old after a while sleeping mainly in buses and hotels." he didn't know id Gen was listening but even if she wasn't... it was nice to talk.

Rubbing her hands together, Genevieve looked up at Mathew. "I can't imagine that traveling for work is fun if you don't get to enjoy yourself. To travel for yourself though is different." Gen made a bit of a face. "Not that we are traveling for ourselves I guess, but we're suppose to act like it so maybe we should pretend?"

It wasn't a big smile, but it was obviously a true smile unlike what she had been doing for Darlene on the dock. "Why don't you tell me what we will see in London." After all just because this was all fake didn't mean they couldn't enjoy themselves, and Genevieve did want to enjoy Mathew's company.

"We don't need to pretend, do we?" he asked "Not if we're actually enjoying ourselves." he gave her half a smile as several people moved away from the sides due to a slight spray that momentarily came over the side. "And I am.. well I did last night and I'm sure once we're out of this wind I will again." He was regretting not bringing a jacket, but then if he had it would be around her shoulders.

"I'll tell you what as soon as we're where we can get one I'll convince Darline to let us get some hot coffee, or tea, or hot chocolate if you've already had enough coffee for one day. She could get picture out of it after all." It seemed that would be the way of things. If they wanted to do something they'd have to let Darline get her pictures. "Not to mention her getting off her feet and taking noted for her book wouldn't be a bad idea."