Around the world in 80 pages

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Genevieve's smile stayed, she seemed to like each of Mathew's suggestions, giving a little nod to each. "That's a real good idea. I think Darlene will appreat the thought too."

As they approached Liberty Island, the statue loomed above them. Genevieve was reminded that she had been a gift from the French, and that they would be in France none too soon. It seemed almost too amazing. As the ferry docked the blonde assistant made sure to take her boss' brother's arm, so as not to be separated. She didn't worry about Darlene. It was quite possible she could find them just about anywhere and they actually didn't want to lose her anyways.

"Glad I brought good walking shoes."

"That was a smart move." he said moving at the speed of the crowd down down onto the dock and taking a leisurely pace down towards the collection of buildings as he waited for Darline to catch up. "I once read that the base the statue sits on took longer to build than the lady herself..." he said. "Makes sense since it was all prefabricated." he didn't notice that he was leaning against her slightly as they walked and jumped a little when a familiar voice came from behind them.

"Facts are my job Mathew.. also I just got a lovely picture of you two walking together from behind, stay like this while I get around the front."

Genevieve had not really thought of the fact that the statue was prefabricated. She knew it had been made in France, but she realized that to ship her she couldn't have been in one piece. She wanted to comment about that but Darlene had spoken up. Absently Genevieve rubbed her brow with her free hand until she saw Darlene frowning at her.

"Sorry, still a bit out of sorts," she gave Darlene a big grin as an additional apology. It must have been enough because the author took a picture. "Do we get to go there now?" she asked pointing up to the torch.

"in a bit, there's some great history in the base," Darlene explained. "Then we will go up the stairs to the crown."

Genevieve nodded absently, she was looking up at the statue again. It was so tall!

Mathew looked up as well. "Its bigger than I thought it would be.." he said before taking a deep breath. "And we get to go up it.. right?"

"Not up to the torch, its been closed since 1916." Darline interjected. "Though I would never forgive myself if I didn't get a few pictured from the crown."

Mathew was beginning to both get used to and want to object to Darline's interjections but her reminded himself that his sister was the one paying and he would get plenty of time with Genevieve along the way. Especially if the trend of them sharing a room kept up. He would just need to stop that getting awkward... more awkward.

As they entered the base Darline seemed to bounce around taking in everything but that didn't stop her snapping a few pictured of the couple.. but Mathew was beginning to take such things in his stride.

It never occurred to Genevieve not to walk with Mathew as they looked at the different showcases in the base. They walked along as Darlene flittered about, taking their time and taking in what they saw. Genevieve read every plaque. Not an unusual trait for an author's assistant. She would have been shocked if anyone ever suggested they could look at everything in a quick manor whiteout reading anything.

Ignoring the occasional flash, Genevieve started to smile more and more as she both enjoyed the easy pace of looking around and her morning headache lifted. By the time Darlene told them to join her climbing up the stairs there was only a faint dullness over her brow that she mostly ignored.

When Genevieve looked at the winding staircase she gulped once, the squared her shoulders. "Only a hundred or so steps." Not bad as long as not too many people were coming back down.

Just walking with her and looking at the huge amount of pictures available with no worries was heaven for Mathew. He even forgot they still have stars to climb until they were in front of them. "I'll be right behind you to catch you if you fall." he said softly mounting the stairs behind her and walking up with her, taking her hand as much for himself and his unease with heights as much for her. "At least its better that the elevator."

With their feet clanking all the way up to the crown he was glad they they reached level floor but he didn't let go his hand. Once there he waited for Darline and then posed for a picture with the windows behind them before finally letting go of Genevieve's hand and taking the camera from her to do the same tot he two of them. Seemed he was determined to to this as every stop for the trip.

It seemed to Genevieve that this trip was finally taking a more pleasent turn. It might have been just that she was in better spirits because of her head, but she didn't think so. Mathew's reassuring words when they started up the stairs might have helped too. Having their picture taken at every turn was getting routine, but she had to admire the fact that Mathew was forcing Darlene in a few photos too. "It will be good in your scrapbook," Genevieve reminded her friend after Mathew took their photo.

Being atop the statue, there was really only one thing to do, look out the windows at the harbor and the city. It was a different experience then the Empire State Building, and Genevieve was glad they had taken in the view at both places. At one point a pair of seagulls were doing tome acrobatics almost right in front of them and Genevieve reached for Mathew's hand without looking or thinking. "Aren't they silly," she said, while pointing with her free hand.

With the camera back on Darline's hand and his hand back in Genevieve's he sighed and looked out over the bay. "Looks like they're having fun to me, and so long as they are.. who are we to judge. And so long as we are, what does it matter what brought us here or that we're pretending to be married for a camera held by my sister."

He couldn't remember smiling this much... ever. His cheeks hurt and he really didn't care. "Live in the moment, isn't that what Buddhist monks are always telling us?" his eyes were still cast out over the water but he was more aware of her than he was of his surroundings.. and then he was pulling his arm free to circle it around her clasping with his other as it did the same, ignoring the click of the camera from behind them. "And right now I wouldn't want to live this moment anywhere else."

Genevieve felt her cheeks flush, though not from embarrassment. "I don't know much about Buddhist or seagulls for that matter," she said to him in a soft voice. "But I am happy in this moment, and I am having fun."

Besides, right now in the crown of the Statue of Liberty, even if there were several people up there with them, including Darlene, there was only one that really mattered in the moment. Not that she would have said those words, it was best to leave such thoughts unsaid, after all they barely knew each other still.

But she wanted to change that. She wanted to know Mathew so much better then she did right now. After a long while she sighed. "I don't think we'd be allowed to stay up here all day."

He words broke the spell of quietly standing with her and his arms fell from her to his sides. "And we can't, plane to catch.." he looked down at her his smile still in place and then took her arm again. "I'll be below you again if you fall." He wasn't the only one smiling, Darline was looking like the chesire cat.

Before that we have lunch in Time Square and a few pictures here and there.." she said "And our luggage.. Mathew you left your shirt soaking didn't you, it will never be dry in time. I suppose we'll need something to put it in for the flight."

She let them lead the way back down and back out into the sun. "Time for some New York Pizza"

One ferry trip and one can ride later they were in Time Square. Genevieve was willfully ignoring the looks Darlene was giving as they headed there, though she was not hiding the fact that she was enjoying herself. After all how could she not with such company?

As Darlene started to get out of the cab, her camera already in hand, Genevieve went over to her. "I know you want to get a lot more pictures in, but can we get some food first? I'm sure it will be easier on all of us, then thinking about our stomachs." It was mostly selfish, Genevieve wanted to savor the more relaxed pace they'd been enjoying that morning. Besides, it was time for her to judge New York pizza to her beloved Chicago style.

Darlene shrugged. "You're probably right. I wasn't planning on more then a few before we went to the pizzeria. It was built in what use to be a church. Back around 1929." As Darlene explained the history of the place, Genevieve took Mathew's hand again as they followed his sister to the entrance.

Mathew was thinking about his stomach, it seemed to be behaving oddly and got worse what Genevieve grabbed his arm, but it wasn't unpleasant. "Thank you." he whispered to Genevieve but it seemed to be premature as Darline wanted a picture of them outside before they went in but it only took them a moment. He didn't want to admit he'd been to the pizzeria before for a business meeting. But it was a funny story in hindsight.

"The last time I came here I didn't get to try any on the pizza.." he said "the fan was on in the corner and my proposal blew out of my briefcase as soon as I opened it landing on top of the pizza. The man I was meeting with a Mr. Watson didn't want to pay for another one and I had to go and her another copy made... he shook his head. "paper and cheese don't mix.

Genevieve looked at Mathew, barely believing the story he just told. Slowly though she grinned and started giggling. "I promise, you'll get your pizza no matter what."

The three of them were shown a booth and given menus. As Genevieve looked at hers she sipped some water absently. "You know, as long as my slice doesn't have anchovies or egg plant, I'm not going to be picky. I would however love to try their breadsticks before the pizza arrived." there had been salad listed as well as spaghetti. Both she might have been interested in at a different time, but this was her first chance at New York pizza, she wasn't going to miss the opportunity.

A young guy who may have only just graduated high school came to their table to take their order. His features were Italian, and his speech pattern said her was from Brooklyn. "Whacha orderein'?" he asked in a manner he thought was cool. He dressed the part if anything, greased back hair, white t-shirt with the sleeves rolled up, the one side definitely held a pack of cigarettes.

The man was looking at him as the man of the group and Mathew. "I would like ... hm.. for the table.. bread sticks a medium Cesar pizza with extra olives.. a hawain and to drink I'd like lemon juice.." he said looking around the table to see if anyone wanted anything else ".. And garlic bread..." he loved garlic bread and would have to make sure everyone had some or getting close to him would be uncomfortable. Though the lemon juice was meant to help with that.

He wasn't very hungry but they were going to fly later in the day so he though he should fill up. Even the thought of flying have him take a keep breath and glance at Genevieve for comfort, then look away again. "So want anything else?" why had he looked at her? He thought he knew but, no. Why not?

Both women were fine with what Mathew ordered and the waiter took the order to the kitchen. Genevieve for her part seemed relaxed and content as Darlene started telling them more of the history of the pizzeria and the neighborhood. There was a reason that Darlene was such a sucessful author, she could tell the stories in an entertaining manner, and Genevieve, who heard more then anyone of Darlene's stories, listened with interest, not boredom. Her attention was not completely engrossed on Darlene though, she would look over from time to time at Mathew and smile. It might have been surprising that Darlene was being so much more engaging during lunch, but with the knowing grin that seemed plastered on her face, she might have known exactly what she was doing.

As timing would have it, Darlene had just finished a story story when their food showed up. Everything looked and smelled delicious and Genevieve could not wait to dig in. The only question was where to start. She looked at the food, uncertain of what to grab and thinking it best to wait until the other two grabbed what they wanted first.

Darline had an almost scary knack for reading people. Some would say it was that ability t know how people worked and how what they were thinking and feeling affected their behavior was why she wrote such relateable characters. Though that intuition and having grown up with it and not being able to hide anything from his sister that sometimes made Mathew self-conscious around her and sometimes made him just not try to hide.

He smiled at Genevieve and served her a slice catching her eyes and smiling. "Here, This smelled good last time." His eyes lingered on hers before he pulled a slice free for himself. The with them both having food on their plate or on Mathew's case burning his hand the camera came out and when had to freeze for a moment as the camera came out.

They say that the camera doesn't lie, and if that was true, then what the camera showed was an adoring young couple. As Darlene had taken the camera out Genevieve had been looking over at Mathew to thank him, though really the smile and the tilt of her head easily conveyed the sentiment enough. She had paused when she saw the camera out of the corner of her eye, but knowing Darlene seemed to be going for a more candid style shot did not turned to look at the camera. It also saved her from having to belong more then once after the flash.

Once the camera was sat down, Genevieve went back to her pizza and took a bite. "Oh, this is good." She wasn't sure if it beat her beloved Chicago style pizza, but the lighter crust had its own merit. Then something occurred to her and Genevieve looked away from her pizza, and across the booth at Darlene. "Why did you pick this particular pizzeria?"

"Why do you think?" Darlene asked back and then bit into her pizza.

Genevieve glanced at Mathew, then went back to her own pizza with a grin. Darlene really was a sweet person to remember her brother's story and then ensure his next trip to the City would included getting to try to pizza he only got to smell last time.

The reason for coming here was lost on Mathew and the look of confusion that crossed his face was followed by the feeling of being left out of the loop again, but that was only for a moment before he was moment before he was chewing on the chest and making noises of enjoyment.

"This is good, but I don't think paper would have worked on it." he said before trying to get the conversation somewhere safely away from the coming flight and unsaid words. "So its a pity we can't come to time square at night, I hear it brighter than it is day."

We would have it we hadn't gone strait to the hotel after Broadway. Thats the whole reason we're jamming this in now. Just I just got a really great picture so no harm done."

"It was a long day Darlene. I don't think I was going to make it much longer that night," Genevieve reminded the author. Darlene shrugged and ate one of the bread sticks.

As lunch progressed Genevieve tried a little bit of everything, but could not eat nearly as much as she wished. It was all tasty after all. As their meal wound down and the waiter took the plates to box up the left overs Genevieve sighed in contentment. "This was nice. Good food, nice place, enjoyable company. Thank you Darlene" For the moment it seemed less like the rushed touristy trip with a million pictures and just lunch, even if Darlene took more then one picture.

Mathew, if he was honest probably shouldn't have eaten as much as he did. They had the flight coming at and he was feeling over full and lazy which could turn to queasy and using the paper bag in a shockingly short amount of time. "Its was good thanks sis." he said in a fit of casual speech. "After this its just a few pictures around the square and then to the hotel to shower, change and check out right?"

Darline nodded and Mathew smiled unconsciously leaning on Genevieve as he closed his eyes for a moment. He was glad that the first leg of their journey was almost over, and not because he hadn't been enjoying it but because there was a whole new place for him to experience with Genevieve. In only a couple of days she had somehow make this trip from terrifying to both wishing it would last forever and wanking to see the next city. He couldn't imagine it going that way with anyone else.