Around the world in 80 pages

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Darlene had ushered them out of the restaurant as soon as their boxes of leftovers arrived and hailed a taxi. For a change Genevieve sat in the middle, realizing that it had to be a bit uncomfortable for Mathew in that seat. Had they not always been so rushed and her always enjoying the views she might have realized sooner. She felt she should apologize to him about that later, but perhaps not around Darlene.

Before the cab pulled over to let them out in the heart of Time Square, Genevieve had leaned into Mathew so she could what was out there. Occasionally she wold point out the window and make a comment to Mathew as they drove past. Once out of the cab she turned slowly on the sidewalk to try to see as much as possible.

"Can you believe this is where they drop the ball every year?" Genevieve would never want to be in the mix of such a chaotic crowd, but there was still something magical about the idea. She understood why Darlene had wished they had come out at night noting all the neon signs.

He turned and looked around taking in the shapes of the buildings and thinking back to seeing the ball on TV. "Over there I think." he said pointing as Darline, ever alert took a picture of the gesture. So this was the last scenic spot before London and even though he could see why it was probably the one that interested him the least. But he was enjoying the trip too much to fret over minor details.

"This is our last chance to all be in the same picture in New York." he pointed out. "And we are getting one so..." he gently took the camera from Darline and taking Genevieve's arm and ignoring Darline's protests walked over to one of the street painters and paid him ten dollars to take a picture of them with a square in the background. "Alright..." His sister under one arm and "pretend" wife under the other he smiled wide confident the painter valued his tools and work more than he did running off with a camera.

A few hours later they were back at the hotel packing. Genevieve was looking around the suite, ensuring that she had not forgotten anything. Time square had been interesting, but the assistant was glad they were going on to their next destination. It was exciting, and enthralling and about the only thing that kept her from exhibiting her feelings was the other person in the room.

It wasn't that she didn't want to share her feelings with Mathew, but she knew that he was dreading the flight. How could he not when such a short plane trip had been such misery for him. She had to hope that the drugs Darlene had said she got for him would work, after all he deserved a good trip too.

"I think that's everything, and Darlene hasn't even started pounding on the door yet," she grinned at Mathew as she sat on the bed. They both adored his sister, so it was okay to tease about her.

Mathew smiled nervously at her. He was fiddling with the strap of his bag and looking unsure of himself. "All ready to go to the airport and wait." he said looking at the clock on the wall. He was not looking forwards to going. Sure London and his first trip abroad was sweet sunshine on the horizon but between now and then there was a huge black wall of flight.

"I wonder if Darline has up on one of those new Jet planes. The De Havilland Comet. Knowing her she has, thats 6 hours in the air. But theres been crashes and they say BOAC are going to stop using them. Its either that or a Douglas DC-7, that means refueling in Gander if we have less than perfect weather... Or a DC-6 than means a stopover in Shannon

He was talking to himself as he looked out the window, the first time he had done nothing but that since they had arrived. "On one hand. Refueling and a 10 hour flight or a stopover in Iceland and on the other crashing and death... tough choice." It was his nature to research things that worried him and the flight all the way over the Atlantic ocean worried him tremendously. "Its the pressurized cabins that go on the Comets, that means you suffocate as you fall... I Hope its a DC-7..."

Genevieve watched Mathew as he started talking about the airplanes. Even if he had been behind a thick glass window his mannerisms were evidence of his growing anxiety. Genevieve wasn't sure what to do, he seemed to be talking himself into being more upset, a spiral of dispair.

Standing up she walked over to the window where he was looking out. Genevieve looked out the window for a moment, then she decided to stop trying to think. Genevieve looked up at Mathew with a sad smile. Suddenly she stood in front of him and warped her arms around to give him a big hug.

She stepped in front of him and hugged him and his voice trailed off in the middle of starting up again. He wasn't hugged a lot, by Darline sometimes not not really by anyone else and it put him at a loss for a second. Then slowly he sighed in a release of tension and hugged her back. He felt awkward doing so, unsure of where to put his hands or how far to lean forwards or anything but it was better than endlessly wondering.

He closed his eyes and sighed again, deeper this time. "Thank you." he whispered his shoulders relaxing and resting his head on her shoulder.

And it was on this scene that the door knocked and Darline's voice came through the door. Regretfully Mathew loved away from Genevieve towards the door, opened it and let his sister inside his face still a mask or worry. "Hey sis." he said then added. "So what kind of plane are we flying?"

It was during that moment Genevieve decided Mathew needed more hugs. Sadly the moment was ruined as Darlene knocked on the door. Not that the author wasn't expected, it was just Genevieve wold have enjoyed things to have lasted a bit longer. She walked closer to the dor as Mathew asked his sister the question.

"Well I wanted this to be a short flight, so I went ahead and booked a flight with those fancy Comets. That way we don't have to wait for any refueling or anything." Darlene told her brother with a grin. She thought he'd be pleased that the trip would be short, compared to how long it would take with either of the DC planes. He did not look pleased though, and she glanced over at her assistant, trying to get a clue from her.

Genevieve frowned, with how worried Mathew was about that style of craft crashing this was not going to reassure him. It was also probably too late to change the ticket. This was the reason why Darlene had an assistant, to double check information. Not that Genevieve was certain she would have heard about the problems before Mathew mentioned it, but it was bothersome that she was clueless to even the background of this project.

"Guess we should head out," she gave Mathew a sympathetic smile. At least he wasn't going alone.

De Haveland Comet, first passenger jet-propelled aircraft in aviation history. Four jet engines, pressurized cabin... only six hours int he air.. three had broken apart in mid air so fr, only three.

Mathew swallowed. They had been well publicized crashed too. "Six hour flight, no stops. No stops." he tried to sound happy but failed so instead grabbed his suitcase and headed for the door leaving Darline to look from hi to Genevieve and raise an eyebrow. Looked like that shot would be needed. "They're the pinnacle of modern aviation." she pointed out as they reached the elevator and waited for the doors to open.

"I'm sure nothing will happen." He assured himself. "Frying is the safest way to travel. They know what they're doing. Only 88 people so far." he wasn't making much sense to anyone but himself and maybe Genevieve but he didn't really care. "Is it alright if I get some tea at the airport before we head into the lounge?"

Genevieve only shook her head when Darlene looked at her. There wasn't much of a chance to explain since Mathew was already heading out the door so she grabbed her suitcase and followed. Darlene's protest was falling flat, and no wonder. 88 people, three crashes, it could be a lot worse, but he already was fearful of flying. Knowing facts didn't help.

"Tea would be a very good idea," Genevieve said as the door opened, as she reached over and rubbed his arm. She wasn't sure he even noticed, lost in his panicked thoughts. As they got out, Genevieve wished she didn't have to use both hands for her luggage, she gave Darlene a hard look. She knew that Darlene gave them plenty of time to get to the airport, so having tea here was not going to case them to miss the flight, and obviously Mathew needed to calm down, or they'd never get him on the plane.

Apparently Darlene thought the same, or at least didn't want to voice her objection to her assistant because she got ahead of the couple and lead the way into the lounge off to the side of the main lobby where they could put their bags down for a minute longer. "Tea all around," the author told the waiter. There wasn't any point in seeing the menus. Mathew wanted tea and Genevieve was now taking his hand and rubbing his arm again. It would be a wonder if she touched her tea.

He mat with his suitcase next to his chair and let out a long, slow, sigh. He looked down at his arm and followed the hand and arm touching it up to Genevieve's face. He wanted to say he was fine and that he didn't need her comfort, but he did need it. He put his hand on hers and mouthed thank you at her again. Darline had gone silent and had that look on her face where she was contemplating her options.

Then the tea arrived and Darline pounced on it leaving Gen to take care of Mathew who was leaning against her in his seat. He really wished he didn't feel so afraid, Genevieve wouldn't have to comfort him and could enjoy her trip.

Here, drink."

The tea was put in front of him but he didn't open his eyes immediately. "I'll be fine." he said not sounding convinced. "Darline has that drug right?"

Genevieve hardly registarded that the tea had been set until Darlene passed a cup over to her brother demanding him to drink. Her whole attention was on giving Mathew comfort, which she at least knew she was getting some response to. "Yes she does, and once we get to the airport you can have some."

She stopped rubbing his arm and grabbed the tea cup, put it to his hand. "We should talk about something else. Maybe, Darlene once we've seen our hotel, what are we going to do first?" Genevieve hoped that by focusing on the fun they all would soon have that perhaps Mathew couple make it to the airport a bit more stable.

He felt like he was being waited on hand and foot and it made him twist with guilt over being so useless when it came to air travel, but at the same time it was really really touching. Still he had the tea to focus on and took a sip as Darline spoke.

"Where else but the tower? The crown jewels, the big clock tower... The bridge.. so many places.."

Mathew wasn't looking at Darline though, but at Genevieve. He leaned over and rested his cheek on Gen's shoulder. "You'll be next to me right?" he whispered not really wanting Darline to hear. FOr some reason he felt he'd be able to stand it better if Genevieve was there next to him.

Genevieve was looking forward to all the places they were going to see and it was obvious Darlene was excited as well. It was ashame their feelings were not the least bit infectious for Mathew who didn't seem the least bit interested. She knew that despite his dread of the flight ahead he had expressed interest in seeing Europe, but it was hard to remember seeing how he was at the current moment.

"Of course I will," Gen said softly back in an instant, not even giving it a thought. He seemed so very sad and she just wanted to make it all better somehow. Turning in her chair she wrapped both arms around him. It was an awkward angle, but it wasn't too bad. "We're in this together after all."

He hadn't been expecting the hug but he returned it anyway no matter how awkward the angle or the sounds Darline made. There was no time limit this time except the tea growing cold and the plane leaving. "I wish I wasn't like this." he whispered before pulling back and picking up his mug of tea and taking a sip. He really did wish he wasn't so fixated on the coming flight, it wasn't going to make it any safer or pleasant. It was just making everyone else look at him and not able to enjoy their pre-flight time.

So he drank his tea and tried to relax, thinking about work, what would happen after the trip that was something he could put energy into.

Genevieve gave what she hoped was an encouraging smile before she straightened and picked up her own tea, not that she was really interested in it at the moment. At least the hug helped, maybe, Genevieve was having a hard time telling. There wasn't much to do though but sip her tea. After some time Darlene insisted they catch a cab to the airport. They did not unfortunately have all day.

The taxi ride to the airport was a quiet one. Words were somewhat pointless at the time, but Genevieve put her hand atop Mathew's. She wanted to give him what support she could. The line for the ticket counter was long, and it felt to Genevieve that the minutes ticked by slowly until Darlene secured their tickets, then they were on their way to the terminal.

The quiet lack of conversation wasn't easy for Mathew, and once they were at the terminal and waiting to board he was looking around for something to talk about. Since they had left the cab his hand had been holding Genevieve's and hadn't once let go. "So..." he said catching Darline's attention before nervously putting an arm around Gen, though his question was for both of them. "I think I enjoyed dancing the most.. maybe the theater but I think I had more fun at the Jazz club. Which was your favorite?"

Small talk, safe sweet small talk and it would help remind him he had been having fun... though the look Darline was giving him at the mention of last night worried him, then he remembered what he had found this morning and swallowed as his sister smiled... she knew..."

Genevieve grinned when Mathew brought up the topic. It had been a very hective, and even a bit emotional, last few days, but over all she had had fun. The company was a big part of it too. The smile that Darlene had on the other hand seemed much more mischievous. As though the author knew a juicy secret. That just puzzled her assistant.

"Well there was Central Park, that was fun. But I think I'm going to have to agree the Jazz Club was my favorite," Genevieve said with a nod. She wouldn't bring up she would have had more fun if Darlene hadn't been so heavy with the drinks, but Genevieve had promised herself not to be so unguarded in the future. And WHY was Darlene grinning like a cat!

"I can't wait to see the photos, but I suppose you're going to hold onto those until the trip is over." Especially at the statue, she really enjoyed being there, headache or no headache.

He smiled at her when she answered, his smile was a nervous one, maybe from the trip coming up and maybe from what Darline knew. They had had fun there, it was true, and it was hard to believe if had just been last night.

Click.

Another picture quickly taken and Darline grinning wider. "I'll just say I'll be happy to be on the plane with Mathew sleeping soundly and being able to gossip with my assistant."

Speaking of the plane the announcement came that their gate was opening up and Mathew swallowed his hand going back to Gen's before looking at her again. She really was being sweet about his.. phobia and he felt like he should be thanking her all over again.

Well that pretty much confirmed that Darlene was up to something. Though she couldn't fathom what it could be. She hoped whatever it was wasn't going to cause any more weirdness in this trip. After all her and Mathew were finally getting use to this.

Pas the gate announcement went over the intercom, Gen felt Mathew take her hand and she looked over and smiled at him. "Let's go. Then you can settle in." Meaning they could get him drugged and the anxiety of the flight could melt away.

The line into the airplane didn't take very long and they soon arrived at their seats. "Why don't you go in first," Genevieve would have liked to have looked out at the ocean, but she'd survive.

The plane, for some reason we was feeling extra claustrophobic in it and he didn't realize how hard he was holding onto her hand until he had to let go and felt hos clammy his here. He stepped sideways to get to his seat and flopped down hugging himself as he looked out the window sucking on his lip. Then he forced himself to close his eyes and lean back instead of looking at the edge of the window for structural defects.

Deep breaths, deep breaths and try to make it look like he was hugging himself out of cold rather than nerves. Then slowly reach up and take off his glasses and slip them into his breast pocket before hugging himself again. "He would be okay, seriously, once he got that drug...