Around the world in 80 pages

Darlene looked pleased. Likely due to how agreeable the two of them were being. After all it made things much easier on everyone involved if they were not fighting each other over the time table.

As Genevieve cut into the meat she marveled at the tenderness and the taste. She did not take more then a sit of the port though, quite content with water for the most part.

"Don't you like it?" Darlene asked, pointing with a fork to the barely touched glass.

"Oh I do," Genevieve said with a grin, then figured she had better head off any other comment by Darlene. "You know I don't drink very much. You do want me to be able to pose properly when we get to the museum don't you? I'd rather not pass out."

"It takes a lot more then a few glasses of wine for you to pass out,"

Genevieve shrugged. "I don't want to risk it. Besides the days awful young still."

Darlene dropped the subject thankfully and Genevieve continued to enjoy the main course. She was curious what dessert would bring.

Mathew was enjoying the food and it was filling, unlike what he expected fancy food to be like. But he looked from Darline to Genevieve. "We're not going out tonight are we?" he asked. He had never been bog on 'night life' which would probably explain why he seldom drank or didn't meet people outside of work.

His reaction to other people wanting to take him out with them was always the same. A sigh, a turn of the head away from the people in question and no answer.

But he couldn't not go with them if thats what Darline planned, he'd already vetoed on thing in new york and tomorrow they'd just be going to the statue before leaving right?

"Of course we are," Darlene told her brother. There would be no negotiation on this one from the set look of her jaw. "You two have to go out on the town at night. It's tradition, besides we need some good pictures of the two of you dancing."

Genevieve could handle dancing, if all Darlene wanted was a few pictures that could easily be taken care of in an hour. It was better then if this was a normal evening outing as far as the blonde was concerned. There wasn't any more pretense then was already the case for this whole vacation. At least that's what she hoped!

As their plates were removed again, Genevieve realized that Darlene seemed to be running things very tightly. While on one hand she applauded the author for her creativity, Genevieve hoped that when things went wrong, which they would in such a large vacation, that she would be able to roll with the punches. Things going wrong did not include Mathew and her running away this morning.

"Have to love surprises." Mathew said. Seemed everyone but him knew about this. "Fine I can do dancing." he said. It wasn't that they were going out its that Genevieve knew and didn't tell him. For some reason it felt like a betrayal. He was irritated by it and the fact that he knew he shouldn't feel it.

Desert cane, itallian kisses, and he ate without speaking or looking at either of them so they wouldn't see his expression. though he did have a fair quantity of the wine served in an attempt to calm himself. He stopped short of feeling any serious effects though.

After a delightful lunch, with a wonderful dessert, Darlene once again ushered them out to flag down another taxi. For some reason Genevieve got the feeling that Mathew was stewing, but for the life of her she couldn't imagine why. Was it the demand for a kiss at the beginning of lunch? She had thought he had handled that well. Handled Darlene well at least.

This time as they road in the cab, Genevieve tried to point out interesting things along the way. It seemed some good old fashion sight seeing attitude was in order. She was also realizing how very diverse the city really was. New York was unlike anywhere else in the world, and she was starting to appreciate that.

When they pulled up to the Natural History Museum, Genevieve was ready. It wasn't going to be too hard, some photos outside here, and then they'd go in and get to actually enjoy themselves, not be Darlene's little models all afternoon.

Mathew got in first this time making Genevieve sit next to Darline. He spent most of the trip looking out the window and regretting having so much wine. He sighed more than once and lips his lip a lot. Genvieve knew, hoe could she know without Mathew overhearing. She must know the entire schedule and has all along.

Outside the museum he posed with her but his heart wasn't in it, he was more than happy to get inside and point his face at the exhibits. Darline was still running her mouth about the exhibits with so much detail she left the guide flabbergasted. "I need the bathroom." Mathew said finally and headed for the glowing sign.

"Soooo, how are you enjoying things so far?" Darlene asked with her brother gone. It was her first opportunity to talk to her assistant alone since yesterday.

Genevieve leaned against a wall and shrugged her shoulders. "It's a bit exhausting Darlene. I mean I know there's a lot to see, but..."

"You can rest when we're on the airplane. Besides that though!"

"It's been wonderful. I'm still very grateful that you asked me to do this. I still don't know why you didn't just travel yourself. You could have taken picture of cute tourists I'm sure."

Darlene sighed. "It wouldn't have been the same. You aren't going to be difficult anymore are you? I still can't believe Mathew did that to me this morning!"

"No more pranks. I'm sorry. You were sort of getting obsessive though." Genevieve hoped it was enough. She was grateful, but Darlene was being extra active so far on this trip.

In the bathroom Mathew did his business, standing in front of the stained urinal and emptying his bladder. he was wondering what they were talking about. Plans probably. It no longer felt like Darline doing what Darline did but Darline and Genevieve taking him for a ride, and he hated that. Gen seemed sweet and not like Darline but hey they knew eachother and have for a long time who what did he know?

He finished up and zipped up, headed over to the basin and washed his hands before splashing water on his face. The fun had from from the afternoon and when he rejoined them it was a slightly forced smile he gave them. "Lets move on shall we?"

And they continued to explore the museum. As Darlene started pointing out a particularly interesting exhibit to herself, Genevieve looked over at Mathew, concern written on her face. "Is everything alright?"

Maybe lunch hadn't agreed with him. The food had been rich, and it was entirely possible that something just didn't sit right with him. He seemed more out of sorts then when they left the restaurant and that bothered her. There might have been nothing she could do, but if there was she wanted to have the chance to help him. He was a sweet guy after all.

"Everythings fine." he said, "Just having new misgivings about... this.." he said. "I'd like to know more about what we'll be doing before we do it, thats all. I'm not an actor I can't throw everything together in a split second. It I'm meant to act happy I'd like the opportunity to feel something close to happiness instead of being lead around bu the nose."

He was snapping at her and she didn't really deserve it so he trailed off. "Sorry its just I... lets just enjoy the break in the museum, no camera is a welcome change."

Genevieve had not been prepared for the verbal onslaught and though he apologized soon after it still left her a bit stunned. She did the only she could do and nod silently. He sounded like he was in this alone, which didn't sit well with Genevieve at all. Weren't they in this together. Not against Darlene of course, this wasn't some battle against the author, but they were both being treated the same by Darlene. Maybe he was only a fair weather friend, there for all the fun but never anything more.

It was with these sobering, no just plain sad, thoughts that Genevieve walked around the museum. She kept a pleasent smile, but her heart just wasn't in the trip anymore and more then once Darlene had to snap her attention to what they were looking at. She wouldn't say anything to the author about what Mathew said. It wouldn't do any good and it could hurt Darlene when no hurt was meant. Frustration, but not malice.

It seemed the rest of the museum was subdued. Even Darline noticed the mood between the two and decided to cut it short. "I don't know whats going on between you but wait until you see whats waiting on your bed for you." She then launched again into trivia and sitting between them kept poking then into replying.

Back at the hotel there were who boxes on the bed and after entering Mathew pulled one towards him pulling the lid off. "This one must be yours, I don't see me pulling this off." he handed the box to her and then opened the other and lifted out a pair or brown shoes and looked as the zoot suit contained within. It certainly looked like something one of Darline's character would wear but Mathew wasn't sure it was something he'd wear.

Genevieve looked inside the box and looked at it in some surprise. It was very sophisticated looking. She then paused when she saw the label, Dior. This wasn't just a nice dress it was one of the top designs companies in New York. Carefully she unfolded it looking at both the dress and the accompanying jacket. How was she suppose to pay Darlene back for THIS? It was one thing that she was paying for the trip, but this was getting to be too much.

"I'll change in the bathroom," she told Mathew as she carried the dress with her in a subdue tone. She was very uncomfortable by this, especially when she was already feeling less then excited about the night, let alone how disappointed she was. Closing the door she sighed then started to get undressed. There wasn't anything but to grin and bare it. She was getting to see some amazing sites, she should be grateful!

So the starting tone for the evening was set with them getting dressed separately and barely exchanging three words to eachother. Somehow he sensed he had upset her when he snapped at her, but if Gen and Darline were keeping secrets then he had a right to be upset. He pulled on the suit and did even remark on how it seemed to be tailored to his dimensions, Darline must have kept them from when she had the diner jacket put together. He wasn't going to be 100% well behaved though, the tie was after all way too gaudy for his liking so he swapped it out for one of his own. Darline could complain but its not like she's be able to come back here and get it.

"Hey.." he said when Gen emerged from the bathroom putting on his best game face. "Shall we meet her in the lobby?" he smiled "Though I have to say before we leave that you lake that dress look exquisite. Almost a shame Darlines coming along."

Genevieve was very startled by Mathew's comment. She blinked a few times, then gave him a shy smile. "Thank you," she finally said hesitantly. "I suppose it would be good to be down there before she starts to wait?" Genevieve was still a little unsure, but she picked up her purse so that they could leave.

Going out to the elevator she couldnt help but look perplexed, she felt it after all, but she didn't want to ruin things by questioning why he was so much happier now. Perhaps she had read too much into it all. Maybe, but Genevieve was still guarded. Once bitten twice shy.

He too her arm in his before the elevator fully descended and straitening his collar he waited for the doors to open. "Sorry about earlier I usually dislike going out but I shouldn't have snapped, if we're doing this may as well make the most of it, and if we weren't then I wouldn't see you all made up again right now."

The door slid open and Darline was already waiting for them and his arm still around hers he stepped out. He was going to behave like this for the rest of the evening, or at least the first part. "Darline, good to see you waiting for us, I'm impatient to get out there and see what out girl here can do."

If Darlene was surprised by her brother's improved attitude she didn't show it. Instead she grinned at him. "Of course, that's what tonight should be about."

Genevieve found herself blushing. The complement was unexpected and she found herself flattered. She wanted to comment though on his feelings about going out, but of course Darlene was there and it wasn't good to talk about such things in front of the author.

"I think you might be slightly disappointed." Genevieve was no dancer after all. She just hoped that Mathew wasn't going to try to lead her into steps she couldn't do. There was nothing to do but walk out with them to the cab and try to stop thinking about all of this. It wouldn't be a long night surely!

He grinned "There would be no disappointment even if this evening was a complete train wreck. As I said I hardly ever go out. Just hold my hand and never let go and we'll get through the night and back to our room before you know it."

He gave her a wink and pulled her towards the door giving Darline the signal to take the lead and as it turned out there wasn't a cab waiting for them but a Limo, sleek, black, and comfortable big enough for a party twice their size.

"So where are we going first?"

Genevieve was sure Mathew wasn't drunk, yet that was all she could think was going on. She smiled, but the smile was only a mask. If this had been a blind ate she would be finding a way at the first opertunity to go "powder her nose" and then ask the kitchen if she could slip out the back. She had never done so before, but it would be the first time. Instead she was on a long winded trip with her boss and her brother.

Upon seeing the limo all she could do was blink and then say "Oh."

As they crawled into the limo, Genevieve looked around, it was large and spacious and even had a bar inside. She didn't know what to make of that.

"We're going to a jazz club a few blocks from here," Darlene said as she opened the mini fridge and pulled out a bottle of champaign. "Pop the cork, but be careful," she told Mathew as she pulled out the camera.

Mathew made a face in the corner of the limo when no one was looking, he didn't think he could keep acting like this without hating himself. He needed a new plan but couldn't think of one. Taking the bottle he carefully worked the cork from the rim and held up the bottle as the flash almost blinded him. "I wonder if people really have honeymoons like this." he wondered aloud. "I always pictured them to be about spending time together and not so much about facts and rushing off to places, being with the person you like..."

"You are together aren't you, and you only get on honeymoon, why not make it something you'll never forget. Both of you are going to finish your champagne.. I'm watching."