Around the world in 80 pages

Genevieve smiled slightly at the comment about Darlene being concerned. She knew Mathew was right, but she didn't want to actually worry the author. Sitting up again when the room service knocked on the door she stifled another yawn as Mathew brought in the tea and toast and gave him her thanks as he handed her a plate.

Slowly she bite into the toast then looked at Mathew. "I believe you," she told him before taking another bite. He was just that generous, though she hoped not have to learn the truth, bad enough she was sick, but if he were sick too she would then be worrying about him. She only ate about half her toast before she sat it down.

When she was done with her toast he replaced it with a mug of tea and sat down again. If he was honest he didn't think he'd do a good job of standing anyway. But eh was smiling as he sipped his tea and looked at her over the steaming brew. "We should try and get more sleep, and if you're not feeling better I'll talk to Darline, don't worry." he yawned again and almost spilled. "I know its probably not how any of us wanted the trip to turn out but you getting better is more important. "Lemon?"

"I suppose you're right," she said with reluctance as she looked at the tea, not because of the idea of sleep which she really wanted, but that she didn't want to think her getting sick was making plans backed up. There was no help for it of course, but she didn't like it none the less.

"Yes please," she replied and was glad for the lemon wedge. Drinking tea felt good and the lemon felt good on her throat especially. She had a hard time staying awake whilel drinking her tea, shaking her head from time to time before taking another sip. Eventually she gave up. "Cold tea won't be so bad," she said sleepily.

He took her mug and put it down, then pulled the blanket over her and tucked her before feeling her temperature and then crawling in next to her to pull the blanket over himself, put his glasses on the night stand, then roll onto his side and close his side. "I hope you feel better when you wake up, I really do." And it wasn't because he didn't want to miss a day in London.

He knew he was going to have a disturbed night but He didn't mind. Gen getting better was the important thing.

Genevieve had a fitfull sleep, but even though she woke up often, once she covered up or took a blanket off she feel back to her vivid and weird dreams. The cycle continued until the phone rang. Even though the phone was on her side, and even though she normally would have answered it, she was in no mood to do so. Instead she made a whining noise and covered her head with the blanket. She didn't want to talk on the phone, or see the sun or be conscious for that matter. All she wanted was to sleep. Sleep and maybe convince Mathew to order her some soup, but mostly sleep.

In fact she wasn't even sure she wanted Mathew getting the phone because that meant he would move. It was silly and selfish. Silly because he had to answer the phone since it was likely Darlene ans selfish because even if he didn't eventually he'd have to get up anyways. Not really wanting to dal with the day, but still curious, Genevieve peeked out from her blankets.

It was the phone ringing that woke him even though he hadn't been sleeping very deeply at all. Sitting up he rubbed at the migraine threatening in his temple and reached over Gen for the phone without getting up. His other hand he placed one her shoulder, then moved the blanket slightly to feel her forehead. "Hello?" he said into the receiver.

"Where are you two?" came his sister's irritated voice. "There had better be a juicy story or someone dying, I've been down here an hour."

Mathew looked at Gen at 'juicy story' but then sighed idly tucking the blanket around her as he replied. "Its Gen, shes sick from being in the rain yesterday. I'm letting her sleep in.. no I'm not giving her the phone shes asleep." the last part was a deliberate lie for her sake. "..no you don't have to come up I.." too late there was a click an the line went dead. "Well I think our morning is about to get a lot louder."

Genevieve was still warm, but not burning up like she has been last night. She closed her eyes when Mathew answered the phone and listened to him. It didn't sound like Darlene was going to listen to him when he finally spoke directly to her.

"I hope she just decides to let me sleep. That would be best." There was no hope in feeling better this new day, and Genevieve didn't even really care, being as miserable in her skin as she was. Now that she was a wake though she realized she was thirsty. "Is there any chance I could have sme water?" She opened her eyes and looked at Mathew. The smile she gave him was weak, knowing he had been trying to take care of her through the night and she was now demanding more from him, she felt a touch guilty.

He nodded and slipped out of bed to get a glass. "Sure, just rest and.." he looked pored her water and placed it in her hands helping her sit up slightly, then picked up the phone and ordered tea and lemon slices for then both. He should dose himself with vitamin C. Then he sat on the bed next to her and smiled down at her waiting until she had had her water before she spoke again.

"How are you feeling?" he asked taking her glass and placing it on the bedside table. He was concerned for her more than the trip, he didn't want her feeling bad and missing out. "And is there anything else you need?" he was rearranging the medicine next to her bed before makign sure there was no hair in her face and generally fussing.

Sitting up, thanks to Mathew, Genevieve drank her water. While she didn't gulp it down, it was a pretty steady action and she was a bit surprised that it was empty, looking down at the glass before Mathew removed it. "I don't remember the last time I felt like this. I don't want to do anything really."

Despite how miserable she felt she gave Mathew a small grin, appearing how he was caring for her. Being sick on a trip might be just the worse, but at east she had someone that was easy to talk to that was taking care of her, that seemed to want to take care of her too. If she had to be sick, at least Mathew was there. "I can't think of anything else. Not really hungry," she admitted, knowing that she probably needed to eat at some point.

There was a knock on the door, and it was persistent, so it was obvious before Mathew went to the door that it wasn't room service.

He knew what was coming, deep in his gut he knew his sister, he didn't expect it to come with such force though. He was almost bowled over as Darline entered the room and immediately started fussing over Genevieve leaving Mathew flat out ignored and able to receive the room service that followed, but this wasn't what he had ordered, it seems Darline had had the breakfast she had had waiting for them up and no sooner had he wheeled it to the bed than Darline was shooing him out the room. "Come on I can't have you both sick, out, out, she needs a lady's care." and so he found himself out in the corridor before he was fully aware of what had happened and without anywhere to go.

He huffed and leaned against the wall, he was still in his sleeping clothes and hadn't eaten, then the door opened the Darline was dumping his suitcase out the room and handing him her keys and telling him to get a shower.

Darlene was a generous and giving caretaker. She let Genevieve sleep when she wanted to, had food ordered up when she was hungry, and sure there was always water in the glass and told interesting stories when her friend was awake. Genevieve was left without wanting anything, well almost.

A full day had passed and while Genevieve still wasn't feeling like traipsing about, she was not in need to sleep the whole day away. "There's no reason for you to stay here all day," Genevieve was telling Darlene after breakfast. "I can dial up room service if I want something and there's no lack of reading material. Besides I feel horribly guilty. You and Mathew should at least see a few of the sites, it's not every day you get to come to London. Do it for me. Please?" Darlene could be stubborn, but Genevieve had learned to be persistent from her, and she really did want them to go have fun. "And take lots of pictures too!"

Mathew didn't have much to do, he had explored the hotel a bit and had dinner in Darline's room though he wanted to check up on Genvieve and make sure she was alright. More worried than he cared to admit. However when the door opened Darline seemed to be ready to go out and slipped out into the corridor with him.

"We're going to see a few of the sights." she said with a smile. Mathew looked at her and the at the door.

"Can I say good morning to Genevieve first?"

"She needs rest, you can talk to her after we get back, have you eaten?"

"No I wanted to eat with Gen..."

"Now what would you do without me, come on we'll grab breakfast somewhere nice."

Well today was going to be fun...

Genevieve was happy to see Darlene walk out the door. It wasn't that she didn't want her friend's company. Far from it. The truth was she wood have enjoyed have a girls chat day with Darlene, but they were in London and she felt Darlene deserved to enjoy herself while here. Genevieve had no notion of what happened to Mathew. Darlene had mentioned he was incapable of taking care of anyone, including himself, but Genevieve wasn't so sure. He had seemed to have done well caring for her that first night and how could a man sucessful in business, who had a new and better job lined up for him, not be capable of a great deal. Perhaps Darlene couldn't see all that though, Mathew was her little brother and no amount of time would change that.

With a sigh Genevieve reached over and grabbed a broucher. Where would those two go? Back t the Tower of London? Big Ben? The British Museum? Maybe Madame Tussaud's? Or a Jack the Ripper tour? Closing her eyes, Genevieve wish she could have gone, but she knew that she just didn't have it in her.

And so the day began with Mathew snippy and Darline domineering. Mathew sulking and Darline overbearing. They joined a ground and were about to step onto the tower bride when the dam broke.

"I'm not a baby anymore Darline." he snapped as she once again pointed out something that was obvious. "I care about Genevieve too the least you coulf do is to let me spend some time with her without acting like I'll accidentally poison her."

He regretted the outburst but it was too late to stop. "I'm tired of you acting like I'm fifteen, I'm an adult, I have a job and I've looked after myself well enough without you nitpicking everything I do."

Darlene still didn't like the idea of them out having fun with Genevieve still in bed sick. It was partly guilt and partly concern, and she wasn't allowing herself to have any fun. So already being in an unpleasant mood the last thing she wanted was her little brother bickering with her, not realizing she was instigating it from the start. She looked from the dreary grey scenery around them and looked at Mathew in shock.

"I'm just trying to look out for you! Right now Genevieve is very sick and she needs her rest. It's best that I take care of her. Once she's well again you can have your fun. This isn't about you."

"Trying to look out for me by kicking me out of my own room and leaving me alone with nothing to do but worry about her?" he asked. "You're right this isn't about me, this is about how you always take over everything because you think you know best and can't take a word in edgewise from anyone else.."

He looked out over the river. "Did you stop to think about what she wants? Its like you throw us together but as soon as something goes wrong you impose yourself and nothing gets done without you saying so. I don't even want to be out with her sick but you never asked me, you never do. Go and look after her, I'll make my own way back."

He turned to storm off not caring to look back. He didn't want to be with Darline right now no matter what his sister said!

"Mathew!" Well great. With her luck he was going to go and get lost. She had half a mind to follow him, but it was better to go back to the hotel. After all Genevieve might need something. Not feeling too happy with her brother's behavior, Darlene headed back to the hotel.

Genevieve had ordered some food for herself, though she hadn't even touched the sandwich, but had consumed the soup and was on her second cup of tea. With her pillows propped up she had nodded off while reading a book. With the sound of the door she woke up and looked at Darlene, having no notion of what time it was. "Did you have fun? Is Mathew going to say hi?" She was trying hard not to show her disappointment that he hadn't come in with Darlene, but she wasn't the best actress, especially when sick.

"He went somewhere. He'll be back later."

Darlene obviously was in a sour mood. Genevieve couldn't imagine what went wrong, but she could guess. It was the thing that always seemed to bother Mathew around Darlene. "You know he's a smart man. You shouldn't worry so much. Why don't you have a half a sandwich. You'll feel better."