Around the world in 80 pages

Genevieve wanted to protest. Champagne always gave her a headache the next morning. "I haven't had champagne since New Years," she said, but there was no sympathy from Darlene. It almost seemed quite the opposite. Clinking her glass with Mathew's the flash went off again. Genevieve waited until the stars were no longer swimming in front of her eyes before taking her first sip. No good, it was tasty, she had hoped it would be too dry.

While she was looking at out the window, at her champagne glass and even once in a while at Darlene when she wasn't snapping a photo, she was not looking at Mathew. She had glanced at him when he mused about how real this honeymoon would be for others, but otherwise found just about anything to place her gaze. She could only hope Darlene wrote it off as shyness.

Getting anywhere in New York seemed to take forever, or were they going the long way around. Genevieve wouldn't put it passed Darlene.

Mathew it seemed would be in idle chatter with his sister for the limo ride. Genevieve wasn't responding, still he drank his champagne and looked out at the darkening city. But they were already calling it the city that never sleeps and Mathew night be beginning to see why. With his arms folded and leaning back to looked more like he was heading for a business meeting than a night on the town. And wasn't he? Sure he wasn't getting paid but this was for his sister's book, sis sister's business.

He was asking about his character bit Darline was being evasive like only someone who spent 90% of their time searching for creative ways to say things and politicians could. So it continued until they arrived and Darline was getting the driver to wait for them. Mathew caught the phrase "Might need help with drunk newlyweds."

When they got out of the limousine Genevieve saw a line to the entrance of the building they were headed to, for one moment she wondered how long they were going to have to wait. She should have known better though. Darlene went up to the man at the door and told him her name. The man nodded and opened the door for them to walk in.

Inside the club was brightly lit and full of music, laughter and booze. As they followed Darlene to a reserved booth near the dance floor in line of sight of the musicans playing Geneviene smiled a little. This wasn't so bad. It looked like an entertaining sort of place and maybe with enough distractions to keep things from getting any more awkward.

When she sat in the booth and scooted in some Darlene directed Mathew to sit right next to her and put his arm around her. This was to be expected, but she couldn't help but stiff when he did so. "You two need champagne glasses in front of you," Darlene declared after only one picture.

"Wine!" Darlene looked confused. "or would you rather I have a headache all day tomorrow." One glass in the limo likely wouldn't do her much harm, but if Darlene was going to insists on a second glass, Genevieve would rather not be sick in the morning. Wine never treated her nearly as bad as champagne.

The place was packed and Mathew felt uncomfortable, worse Genevieve was still acing off.. great. "You know what I'm just going to get up something." he said and left the booth ignoring Darline's look and skirted the edge of the dance floor to get to the bar. He didn't want to be here and if Genevieve was going to act like she didn't want him to either then fine, he wouldn't be around her, maybe then at least one of them would enjoy the evening.

He didn't want to spend the night alone but hey Darline would come find him when they were leading if not before. It was just a pity he would have nowhere to hide except the bar itself.

Darlene watched her brother go then she scooted in around to Genevieve. She ordered a bottle of white wine and a couple of glasses. "Alright, whatever is going on needs to stop!" Genevieve started to protest but Darlene wouldn't have any of it. "Yes there is, and it started with Mathew, doesn't matter why, but we both know it's true." When she saw Geneveie acknowledge this she kept on going. "That's what set you off. You went into panic because you think there's going to be some big blow up conflict." Genevieve wanted to protest that point even more so, but still Darlene went on. "So you just turned off. How is anyone suppose to get to know you when you get all defensive? Hm? I do want you to be enjoying this trip even if it is work. That's how it's suppose to work or I might lose my inspiration. You don't want that do you?" By this point Darlene was teasing her assistant.

Genevieve was weakly grinning, and Darlene pushed a glass of wine at her. She took a few sips. "Good, now I'm going to drag Mathew back over here and you're going to actually be engaging, right?"

"Was that a pun?"

"Maybe," Darlene said with a grin then pushed herself out of the booth. Time to snag her little brother.

Darline caught up with Mathew he was at the bar. She put his hand on his shoulder and slipped into the seat next to him.

"Its you fault you know, trying to be something you're not in the limo, and being crabby in the museum."

Mathew glanced at her without speaking. Trying to argue with Darline when she was right was like trying to headbutt a cobra. You could to it but it could better and with teeth.

"Genvieve is a smart girl, shes got a level head and won't bite your head off over slights or treat you like you're an endless attention, but shes still a girl. Shes sensitive and giving her mixed signals and pretending to be someone you're not then wondering why shes upset isn't going to cut it mister. So you're upset to, suck it up and enjoy the evening. You have a gorgeous woman and you're not paying for your drinks. Oh and there Genevieve too.. come on back to her."

She pulled on his and while putting money for his drink on the bar and pulled him back to the booth

"There now if you two promise to enjoy yourselves tonight I'll promise not to put any embarrassing pictures of you in the book."

Genevieve's glass of wine was nearly empty and when Mathew and Darlene returned she gave them both a small smile, sweet and shy. Darlene might not have had her completely convinced but she was going to give it another shot, after all, she had enjoyed the Mathew she had gotten to talk to in the park. "Embarrassing photos?" she blinked in surprise.

Darlene refilled Genevieve's glass, then passed the other glass over to her brother. "Now I want to get some photos of you two dancing." Ignoring Genevieve's question. "It's sort of tricky though, so we might have to do it a few times."

At first Genevieve thought that Darlene was exaggerating, then she glanced out at the dance floor. While it was not packed, there was plenty of people there and while the author was a good photographer, it was not her vocation. She could get several candid shots, but how many would turn out? No, it actually made sense. "We might need breaks in between." Genevieve suggested. Why did Darlene grin when she said that?

"I can't dance." Mathew blurted... it wasn't exactly true, it had been but he had been 'instructed' by who else... Darline. "You'll be fine." Darline said with a grin and she took Mathew's glass away and half herded them out of the booth. She followed them onto the floor and made sure they stood next to each other, okay now she was acting like a mother more than anything.

The music started and she prodded them into dancing which Mathew did, hesitantly at first but getting into the swing of things. Then Darline lifted the camera.

"Come one its like you've forgotten how already... There!"

"The only way I'm going to be able to dance is if I pretend she's not there," Genevieve said under her breath once they started. She wasn't a bad dancer, but if she thought about it too much she knew she'd stumble, so she had to not think about it. "If we stick to the basics it will look fine on film and we will keep our footing."

Truth was Genevieve loved dancing and music in general and if she just thought about the music, not Darlene, not about how weird Mathew had been all afternoon, she could almost be herself. The blonde half closed her eyes as she heard the beats and tried to follow Mathew's lead. He wasn't very good, but at least he wasn't stepping on her toes. "Use your hands more, pull in when you want me to come to you. When you want me to go backwards take your hand slightly off my back. You don't have to remove it, just take the pressure off." she muttered the instructions quietly, as quiet as one could to be sure to be heard by their dance partner at least.

He tried to follow her instructions and relax but Darline was distracting. "How about I just think about you.." he whispered "I trust you and might relax enough to follow the music..." no matter what he said it was what he was going to do... and after a breath the nervous tension in his back and shoulders eased. Just think about Gen and the music, not Darline or the club full of people...

It seemed to help, his movements were less stiff anyway, more relaxed and like he was reacting to the music instead of following steps. Still it was clear he was nervous and not used to it, though just to the person next to him.

"We was actually able to push Darline out of his mind and the club too to an extent. Though the song still seemed to last forever.

Genevieve found herself blushing at Mathew's words and she looked at him in mild surprise when he said he trusted her. His words must have been true though because he started to seem relaxed. She could feel it in the way he moved and his steps seemed more more sure footed. The more he relaxed the more Genevieve could get into the music and by the time the last note rang out she had a half smile on her face from enjoyment.

As the patrons clapped for the live band, Genevieve was glad to get off the dance floor for a break. They would have to go out there again, she had no doubt about that, but Darlene couldn't very well expect them to dance every dance the whole night long. "You were doing great at the end," she told him as they walked back.

If he thought she was being kind he didn't know it since he was so busy smiling himself. "Thank you." he said turning away for his the color flooding his cheeks and... click Darline bounced out to meet them.

"Great dance I got some great ones, need more though."

She had drinks waiting for them, refills of what they had already had.

"It was fun." he admitted. "I'm actually looting forwards to doing it again..."

It might have been the drink talking but it was no less true. "I think it helps to have the right partner..."

Genevieve barely blinked as Darlene took the candid photo and as she walked back to the booth with Mathew she seemed more relaxed herself. Scooting in she looked at her wine for a moment, then took a small sip. "I only need a short break," she told him, looking forward to getting out on the dance floor again, but knowing since she rarely did it she should try to pace herself. Didn't want to be too tired too early.

Upon his complement Genevieve blushed slightly again and took a long drink to avoid having to say anything right away. When she placed the glass down she realized she couldn't think of a thing to say. "I think you're right," agreeing seemed like the best idea.

Genevieve didn't notice the author smiling at the two of them, nor that Darlene was not sipping something with alcohol as well.

Back in the booth for a short break was all well and good and the drink pushed under his nose was refreshing.. he was still nervous though.. and he didn't notice that he was leaning against Genevieve. "We don't need to hurry." he reminded her. "We have all night and only the statue to do tomorrow."

He wanted to enjoy the company while they had time to sit and do nothing but talk. "That is the plan right? What else are we doing tomorrow? Lets have fewer surprises." he was talking to both of them but looking at Darline.

He didn't notice the Darline was keeping herself sober and it wouldn't have surprised him if he did. And with an easy motion he put his arm around Genevieve and lifted his glass. "To the adventure."

Darlene only smiled when Mathew suggested fewer surprises, she was playing her cards close to her. At the same time she wasn't arguing that tomorrow wasn't going to be as busy. She wasn't going to expect them up and ready early after tonight. Especially as she made sure they were less then sober.

Genevieve was watching Mathew as he talked, in fact she was only looking at him. When he put his arm around her she giggled. She was happy enough to go along with his toast and held out her own glass. "The adventure!" Then she drank down the rest of her wine. Belatedly she thought that might have been just a bit too fast, but what was done was done.

"We take a farrie to the statue, right?" Genevieve said slowly, trying to remember what she knew of Ellis Island, but she couldn't quite focus. "I hope it's not too croweded. Like the elevator, that wasn't fun." she frowned for a moment but the mood briefly washed away. "Worth the view!"

"The view was.. amazing." Mathew agreed. "And if theres too many people at the statue... you can ride on my back." he was looking at Genevieve exclusively now. "And the ferry will be nice, now like planes that go up and down.. Darline should get us a ship. It will take longer but thats fine too. More time."

He ran out of steam and looked at the empty glass in his hand... he had finished it? "We could dance in there too.."

Dancing now sounded like the best thing in the world but he didn't want to move from next to Genevieve. He didn't really care what they did tomorrow so long as it was with her and didn't involve flying. He knew they would have to fly eventually.

"Wouldn't it be nice if the night lasted forever?"

Genevieve giggled when Mathew suggested she ride his back, but she didn't disagree with the idea either. She was also not against the idea of dancing away travel time. It seemed a lot better then just sitting, though that wasn't so bad if she was next to Mathew.

"Mm, yes forever," Genevieve had good music, good company, and wine. What more could she want?

There was a flash, and Genevieve blinked, looking over at Darlene who was putting her camera back down, looking like the cat with cream. "Why don't the both of you dance a little more?" Not that it was really a request as she started shooing them back to the dance floor.

Genevieve had her hand in Mathew's as they returned to the dance floor, then she faced him, putting her free hand on his shoulder. "We could dance until they kick us out you know." He had nice eyes, she wondered why she hadn't noticed that before.

His arms had been tightening around her and his eye dancing across hers when the camera had gone off, then he had turned to Darline and suddenly became self conscious, it was a good thing he was pushed out of the booth and back into the dance floor, there at least he could go back to pretending it was just the two of them.

He fell into positions and smiled at her. "We could, and I wouldn't mind one bit." it was a lot easier to cut out the crowd and the noise and just focus on her and the music. His hand in her back he pulled her closer as his eyes drifted over the waves in her hair, he had always though they were pretty. "Lets do that."

And so they danced. They were not the most skilled couple on the dance floor but they seemed very comfortable with each other. How many more pictures Darlene got was unknown. As the band finished their last song, Genevieve was disappointed but as they walked out of the club she was reminded there was still the limo ride back to the hotel.

The ride back for some reason caused Genevieve to giggle a lot. The return of the campaign might have had something to do with it. As they got out and were lead to the elevator the blonde wanted to spin more then once. Spinning on the dance floor had been fun after all. They made it back to their room without startling any other guests fortunately and Darlene tried to give advice about water and aspirin, which Genevieve did not pay attention to.

Once inside their room, Genevieve slipped out of her shoes thankfully, and with her shoes off she wanted out of the rest of her cloths. She grabbed her night shirt and dramatically danced into the bathroom, though she chatted through the door to Mathew as she changed. Things got more fuzzy from that point.

After the club the the room seemed unnecessarily bright so Mathew, maybe a little unsteady on his feet from the Champagne and tired legs turned off the main light and turned on the side lams just like the previous night. Genevieve's dance into the bathroom made him smile and chuckle though as he pulled off his expensive suit and into another shirt and shorts comfortable enough for sleeping in. Then he flopped down on the bed with a goofy smile on his face and stared at the ceiling thinking about the night he had just had and glad his time with Gen for the night wasn't over.

His limbs were heavy but he was happy and when she emerged from the bathroom he patted the sheets next to him. "Best night of my life..."