Around the world in 80 pages

"Thank you," Genevieve told him as he paid for the dog, which she piled up with condiments. She was glad they were going to sit down since it was unlikely that she could eat the thing and walk at the same time without some disaster befalling her. Looking out at the pond she found it peaceful.

"You're right. I'm use to Darlene being driven, it's just, I suppose I've never been the subject of her ideas. Or rather as a tool to visualize her ideas." Something about what she just said didn't seem quite right to the blonde, but she wasn't sure why. "I do want her to be able to write this book of hers after all, so behaving would be the thing to do."

Genevieve took another bite of her dog and grinned at Mathew. "I didn't really think you were going to do it, but I'm glad you did." On the plus side they were definitely getting along. Whatever else might come of this trip, at least Genevieve could say she likely made a new friend. "it's ashame we never got a chance to know each other before now."

"I needed a break." he admitted. "And I wasn't going to get one at the rate I was going.. not that I planned to use my sister to get a holiday. She said she needed someone she could trust and here I am." he sighed "Wasn't expecting it to be you either..."

It was nice to just sit and talk about things. "Should have been obvious though thinking about it."

He finished his hot dog and scrunched up the paper waiting for her to do the same so he could take them both to the bin. "Can't back out of it now anyway and I don't think I want to. Besides its about time we got to talk for more than a few seconds at a time."

When he got back form the bin he sat down and looked out over the pond again "Thank you for doing this for her, not everyone would in your shoes. And hey maybe we can get along, we after all both do with my sister."

When Mathew returned from tossing the hot dogs away she grinned. She no longer felt awkward around him. "You don't have to thank me. She might be my boss, but she's also my friend. Not many people can say that, and sometimes it's better that way. We've been lucky that our working relationship has been all in all possitive."

Resting on arm on the bench back she sat so she could look at Mathew more directly. The posture was a little less then lady like, but she hadn't realized it, as she was more focused in talking with him. "If Darlene hadn't come up with this, eventually you would have done something right? Where would you have gone to?" It seemed almost silly to ask, they were doing a mad dash across a good portion of the globe, yet she was curious what sort of vacation Mathew would have chosen for himself given the chance.

"Relaxing at home for a week is my usually idea of a vacation." he said "I hardly ever see the place otherwise... if I have to travel... well I've always wanted to see New York without having to run around like a headless chicken... I actually mentioned that to Darline at the new years party when she asked me." he looked puzzled for a moment wondering it thats why Darline chose this to be their first stop. "I've never thought about going overseas, you've sen how I am with planes... Vegas is too.. noisy and commercialized, not much of a gambler..."

He leaned back and looked at her, she seemed as relaxed as he felt and he had to admit he was enjoying her company And so he held up and imaginary glass "So here we are, to a new and fruitful friendship."

Genevieve thought about it for a moment and had to admit for someone that traveled all the time, home must have been very appealing. It was a different perspective that's for sure. She could understand his feeling about Las Vegas. "I always wanted to see Europe, but I didn't think I'd get a chance, at least not any time soon."

She wondered what they were going to do about Mathew and his problem flying. If such a short trip was troublesome, how awful would he be feeling crossing the Atlantic?

She laughed as he held up his imaginary glass and played along to do the same. "An adventurous friendship."

"Well there you both are!" That voice could only belong to one person. Genevieve turned so she was sitting on the bench properly, feeling just a tad guilty, though it still had been worth it.

Mathew stood and turned, he had been expecting her but not so soon. "Mathew I'd expect this from but Gene.."

"Not Genevieve, It was my idea I wanted to grab a hot dog and see the pond and I kidnapped your assistant to do it."

Darline looked and Mathew and bit her lip, then fingered her camera. "Sit back down and put your arm over hers across the top." her tone made it clear he wasn't forgiven but she got a good picture out of it. "If you're trying to ruin the schedule you're doing a very good job but from now on you're not going out of my sight. We've still go the empire state building before lunch."

Mathew smiled at Genevieve before standing again and joining Darline on the path. "If you want to grab a hotdog on our way past its my treat."

Genevieve looked at Mathew as Darlene turned to walk to the hotdog stand, intending to take Mathew up on his offer. "Thank you," Genevieve whispered. It hadn't been really nessisary for him to take all the blame, but Genevieve appreated it none the less.

Ponce Darlene had her hotdog she herded them out to catch a cab, though she didn't rush, the hotdog was piled high. Once she finished though a taxi was hailed. "We should have gotten Genevieve a hat, that would have looked great at the top. Next time," Darlene was settling into her spot and then told the cabby to take them to the Empire State Building.

"There should be a nice view," Genevieve said quietly as they drove down the street. It was crowed with a lot of cars, many of them cabs and when she looked out further she saw the sidewalks nearly as full. She had a notion that Darlene was telling them information about the landmark, but Genevieve barely paid attention, until they arrived.

Mathew was half listening to his sister talk and half looking at the city though the windows. He the sitting with both hands on his lap. he would it particularly interesting that the sky scraper was meant to double as an airship moor. "So here was are!"

It was tall, so tall it was uncomfortable to tilt your head back enough to see the top. "And we're going up there..." it looking like it was swaying in the wind and Mathew had the creeping suspicion the height and movement would make things uncomfortable for him. "A few pictures and back down for lunch?" perfect! They entered the building and waited for the elevator.

"I've been wondering." he said "Its a long flight to London and... " he looked ashamed but Darline smiled.

"Don't worry I've gotten you something in case you need it." he winked and Mathew stopped talking right the doors slid open.

Come on, 102 storied up and you don't want to have to take the stairs."

It was impressive. There was no doubt about it. As Genevieve looked up she grinned. She had to admit to herself she was looking forward to seeing the pictures from here. When she overheard Mathew's question to his sister Genevieve purposely kept herself distracted looking at the building. It wasn't hard to do after all.

It takes a long time to go up 102 floors even in an elevator. Slowly the floors were dinged in the small space, crowded with people. You couldn't stretch your hands out and people would call out floors from time to time, leaving when they go to theirs and others getting on. Genevieve felt closer photic in the small space, a particularly tall and round man had stood in front of her soon after they'd gotten on and she was uncomfortable. Genevieve had never had a problem in small spaces before, but then again she never had to deal with an elevator filled to capacity that was taking five minutes to get to where they wanted to get off at.

Silently Genevieve wrung her hands together. It wouldn't be all that much longer until they were out, and if the man left sooner then the top then it would be that much better. Sadly the man was indeed going all the way to the top.

Mathew was doing fine in the cramped steel box they were in. He even managed to get a little breathing room as then neared the top and tapped Genevieve on the shoulder before pulling her gently into it so that she was against the side and in front of him. "Almost there." the whispered and it was only a minute more before the doors opened and they were stepping out onto the roof with the railing and the view of the city. Mathew did gasp in spite of himself. It was a beautiful view.

"There you two are." Darline was calling them over to stand facing each other hands clasped and their faces just an inch apart.

"Smile... less smiling.. more.. there, soft smiles and noses almost touching and.... got it. Not holding hands and facing me."

"I'm starting to think we should have run when we had the chance... nice view though."

Genevieve had a hard time not snickering. It wasn't too awful what Darlene was asking of them, but this wasn't a vacation, it was work, and not the type the blonde was use to. "The view is nice," Genevieve agreed. She thought about it a bit then looked at Darlene. "How much time do we have up here?"

"There's still a few more points I want to take pictures of you two at."

"No, I mean just to look around."

"I'll give you five minutes once we're done."

"That's it?"

"We still have lunch, and you two messed up my time table running off." Darlene wasn't going to forgive them that one any time soon. "I suppose since we are up here you can take a few more minutes then that, but no doddering." It was difficult to tell if she was frustrated, her expression kept going back and forth waring from a frowns to a smirk.

"Promise," Genevieve said with a grin. After all this was a once in a life time trip. She wanted a few memories to go with all the photos.

The rest of the pictures went quickly and soon the were walking along the rail with nothing to do. Sure Darline was close behind then bur she wasn't telling them how to pose. "You know I'm more okay with this than I thought I would be." he said "The height.. the movement of the building.." he stopped for a second. "Darline can I see your camera a second?." he held out his hand and Darline looking unsure handed it over. Then he stepped back and motioned for Genevieve and Darline to stand closer together.

"You're paying for everything sis. you deserve some memories too." He snapped the picture and Darline retrieved her camera but Mathew didn't say another word he rejoined then a continued the walk around the edge.

"I hope it turns out well," Genevieve said to Darlene nice the photo had been taken. She could tell her friend was touched by her brother's thoughtfulness, but she didn't seem to want to show it. Instead Darlene looked at her watch and told them that they shouldn't stay too much longer if they wanted to have lunch on time. She didn't say how long was too long though.

Leaning on the railing, Genevieve looked out at one point and marveled at the view, it was amazing, but she'd gotten an eyefull finally. She glanced over at Mathew, "I think I'm ready."

The trip down the elevator wasn't half as bad as going up. Not having someone standing directly in front of her helped as did talking about what they just saw with Mathew, Darlene back to not wanting the, to pay attention to her. Not that it was very easy when as soon as they got outside she was the one waving down the cab for them. "Since we didn't go there last night we are headed to the Russian Tea Room for lunch!" The author declared.

The view had been great and Mather was feeling relaxed int he elevator. He knew his sister well enough to know she appreciated not being forgotten as background noise. The did usually like to be the center of attention and pretending she wasn't there couldn't be as easy as she made it look and idle chatter with Genevieve was easy now without awkwardness or hesitation since they had agreed to be friends.

"Well if you're that determined to go there is has to be good, you always did have expensive tastes."

They piled into the cab Darline insisting on getting in first probably to get out last and make sure Mathew didn't slip the driver a 20 to leave her behind. "Here we are, wait until you see inside... you're both going to love this... OHH pictures outside... put your arm around her .. don't be shy."

for once Mathew wasn't his hand hooking into her waist naturally.

"You know I think we're getting better at this."

Genevieve nodded to Mathew. It was getting easier, which she was thankful for. After a few photos Darlene directed them to go inside. Once inside Genevieve saw why Darlene had been so eager to get them to come. Barely inside and they could all see the golden trim on the beautiful walls, beyond in the dining room the red dominate color.

As they were lead to a table, Genevieve made no attempt to hide the fact that she was looking around. She felt a bit like a country bumpkin, but at least she was getting a chance to see this place. It was like it was built to feed kings and queens. Once seated Genevieve expressed herself. "I didn't know a restraint could look like this. There's chandalears everywhere!" though she was excited she kept her voice at a whisper.

Mathew his arms still around Genevieve was also taking in the room his face aghast at the opulence of the decor. Really it seemed like something on this world. "Its like a dream world." he whispered in the soft voice. He felt out of place again, under dressed and wasn't surprised the resturand sipplied him with a jacket to wear.

At the table he sat as Darline danced around them taking pictures, including one of them leaning forwards over the table with his hand on top of hers.

"Now kiss.."

"What?"

Mathew leaned back and looked at Darline, though was saved my the waiter.

"I'm afraid I have to insist that madam puts the camera away and sits down now."

Darline pouted but complied, the didn't want to be asked to leave after all. Mathew had hidden himself behind a menu and was scanning it for something not too expensive but as it turned out the menus were just for the photograph because with their reservation Darline had ordered them a set menu that featured a creamy soup as a starter accompanied by a dry white wine.

While Genevieve was happy to play along, when Darlene made her outrageous demand the blonde stared at the author in disbelief. Mathew voiced what she did not, and was glad that there had not needed to be an argument as Darlene was asked to put away her camera by the waiter. Genevieve was still looking at Darlene for several long minutes, her displeasure obvious before she looked down at the menu.

That they had been railroaded with what to eat was annoying, but this she was willing to deal with. Darlene was paying and she could chose their meal if that made her happy. At least that's how Genevieve would have felt if she wasn't still upset over the demand. This might have been all fake, but a kiss was a lot to ask from two people. Genevieve realized the more she thought about it that it was the kiss on demand, and not that she didn't know Mathew well that really upset her. Not that she was going to kiss Mathew anyways! No that there was anything wrong with Mathew!

Genevieve was glad to see the glass of wine and took a long first drink off it.

Mathew surrendered the menu to the waiter and seeing Genevieve's enthusiasm for the wine took up his own glass. He glared at Darline as he raised his glass and looked back at Genevieve. "We owe each other a clink." he reminded her holding his glass out for her, then taking a long sip and turning his attention to the soup. It was good, subtly flavoured and rich... it was hard to stay annoyed with Darline with her buying them food this good.

They had let Darline know where their limit stood and maybe things were established enough for no more hitches. Though Dalines grumbling about Paris was worrying.

Genevieve did not drink all her wine. After a second sip she realized she didn't want to be intoxicated around Darlene on this trip. There was going to be difficulties, but Genevieve wanted her wits about her when they occurred. Mostly so that she didn't say something she might regret later.

Eating also seemed to settled Genevieve down some and she was at least much more amiable by the time the waiter came to clear away their dishes. "So where to next?" she asked with curiosity.

"Ah, now we head to the Natural Art Museum," Darlene told them. She started to go into great detail about how it was one of the finest museums of its kind but Genevieve interrupted her.

"You don't have to convince me. I think it will be nice," she glanced over at Mathew, somehow doubting he needed to be sold on the idea. After all museums frowned at photography inside.

Mathew Was surprised then the next course arrived. A mixed roast with meat and vegetables served with a full bodied port. Seemed ever course would have its matching drink.

"I'd love to go." he said maybe a little too brightly "I've never been to one." He smiled at Genevieve catching why she was eager to go before tunning back to the meal "Would be mad to go overseas and never having gone to one of out own museums."

He ate slowly savoring the taste and only sipping the port to let it compliment the taste. He wasn't a connoisseur or anything of the kind but he did want to try a bit of everything as the chef envisioned.