2. Elementary
  3. Intermediate
  4. Adept
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
All, mostly.
The year is 2020, Scientific progress has proven facts and logic behind every myth, explaining away every long lost story. They think this proves that they don't exist, In Fact quite the opposite, all the myths are true. And tonight, the stars align. old gods rise, forgotten temples erupt from under the ocean floor, Dark things shamble from the forest. Everything goes wrong for humanity, The armies of the world try to fight back, but what good are bullets against evils older than time itself? Bows and arrows against the lightning. Every story that gave you nightmares, every evil tale now walks the earth hunting humans. And you have not only some how managed to survive but find a book that was part of these tales, some kind of ancient grimoire that grants you powers to defend yourself with, but at what cost......

A little more Explanation: The character will be of pretty much free choice, with a few exceptions, I would like to avoid tropes, cliches and the like. So if you want to play the ex spec-ops super ultra warrior with a shady backstory who's dead gruff and super serious Then, sorry. The characters would have some knowledge of what the hell is going on (possibly religious and think it is the end times, maybe studied ancient history), And will each have a Grimoire. They will begin together, The reason for this is that, one of the final acts of the 'old world' was to gather as meany people as they could find who had the best chance of surviving this apocalypse together, and dumping them in one place, with survival supplies.

The 'Myths'
So, to save some time, I am going to list the myths that will be true:
Anything pre-Graeco-Roman, or Graeco-Roman.
Lovecraft mythos (specifically from lovecraft himself, modernized lovecraftian is not ok)
Ancient english (merlin ect)
Aztec, Byzantine ect.
Ancient china and Japan.
Norse/nordic mythos.
Judo-christian (partly, God does not exist, but the angels and devils do)
Any outside this, Please PM me about

A few absolute no's
Zombies, Just nope. Well, in the typical sense, no shambling armies of the undead, There may be a few corpses re-animated by evil powers, but nothing like the living dead.
Player fantasy races, yes, there may be elves somewhere, or possibly dwarfs. But no one has found any, so no one is playing one.
Modern Myth, This is anything that is 'recent' in the sense that I consider 1940 'recent' So, xenomorphs, cloverfield monster ect.
Don't reserve a book, then change your mind after doing research. If you reserve a book, I expect you to use that book.
More will be added if required

The Books!
The Grimoire each character carries are, almost, characters unto themselves. Each Grimoire grants the holder unique powers, but also carries terrible costs. A example of this would be the Necronomicon, Not the evil dead version but the dark and ancient tome written by "Mad Arab" Abdul Alhazred. forbidden and burnt by churches This dread book carries with it immense power, the power to summon and banish creatures from far beyond this realm, Monsters whose mere existence is a affront to all nature's laws and the very laws of physics themselves. A powerful book to be sure, But what of the cost? Madness, a dark, creeping insanity that slowly consumes all who use its power or even dare read it.

You get the idea, Most any grimoire is permissible, as is goetias
There will be some powers attached to the books that don't incur the cost. Please be aware that made up books (EG Bibbles's book of bubonic plagues) Or books from modern games/literature (EG Liber Demonica or Grimoire Purgatus ) will not be allowed, Wikipedia is your friend here.

The Where:
This will be starting in London, Mostly because England is more compact than most locations on the globe, but it also has access to continental europe should the group decide to go that way, The time of year will be Late spring early summer, so expect rain.

Character Skeleton
Name:
Appearance:
History Before Being picked up:
Source of Knowledge about mythology:
Personality:

Grimoire/Goetia
Name:(Original, or as close to as possible)
Common Name: (Whatever your character calls it)
Appearance: (It must look like a book of some kind)
Description: (what does the book pertain to, what language is it written in, does it have any unique features, how does your character carry it)
Weak Powers: (These are the powers that the character may invoke without activating the cost, You may have up to 5 some examples are listed below)
  • Minor Telekinesis: Items up to 25kg can be moved
  • Minor Creation: Can make up to 20cm cubed of any solid material in your hand, disappears after 1hour
  • Minor Light: Creates a glowing orb of light that floats by your shoulder
  • Minor Magical Strike: A magical attack of low power pertaining to your grimoire.
  • Familiar: A capricious companion summoned from your Goetia, may not always be helpful
Curse: (The toll inflicted upon you for using your major powers, Must pertain to the type of book.)
Major Powers: (You can list as meany as you like but the stronger they are, the harder the curse will bite)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lylith
Can I really not play an elf? I'd play neutral on this one, also, there were actual artifacts, poems, writings that depicts on elves as some type of vampire that goes around claiming the other gender, like succubi and incubbi. But are handsome and beautiful like vampires. So, will you allow that? Also, technically, elves are myths...

I'm sorry to say not. From what you describe the elves you are referencing are at least semi-evil, and thus would probably have a vested interest in NOT seeing this group manage to survive and plot things happening.
To explain WHY I don't want people playing fantasy races, is that it opens the door for people to argue to play a semi something semi something else super character. This roleplay focuses not only on humanity's desire to live on, but the fragility of human life.

Ok, I understand a bit more now, also, in case you're wondering, I'm willing to play Samrah in any role as long as it's an elf, I hate people who destroys the plot so I will be more than glad to go with the flow. Heck, Samrah can die mid game if that's what's good for humanity "What the heck dude? I don't wanna mmfff", but the reason I said Samrah will be neutral, is because Samrah out of many myths, want to finally coexist with humans. Share his culture, also, he's mostly in it for the women. You can say he's on the human's side. At least that's my final answer. "So what's the word boss? I'm ready to see some babes!" Shut up will ya, I'm trying to get you in.

Then I would suggest a different character other than Samrah, I can't actually find any writings on a character called Samrah so he wouldn't actually be in this reality. Again, as I have stated, Human only. I know it feels like I'm killing fun, but if you can find me a grimoire or goetia that is related to nature and life, I can see you playing a very elf like human, with the typical elf drawbacks of frailty and physical lack of strength.

Technically, Samrah is a personal character of mine. "Yup, this is my dad..." So you won't find him in the internet... Also, I did scratch the surface in the internet and saw elves are Norse Mythological beings. The type of elves that have magical powers, confused with the Vanir gods and goddesses "I'm a Vanir god?" No you're not, only confused as... This is my last try, it's my last arguement. I only like elves because they're cool, I don't think I'll beat you, who actually 'dug the internet' in this kind of topic.

Ok, so 1) I generally don't like personal characters they feel like to much of a self insert and speak of a somewhat narcissistic personality. 2) Elves, in and of themselves MIGHT exist in this universe, but it is unlikely they would be found during the characters adventures. 3) I gave you a option as to how you could play, if you're not willing to play by the rules, then I would rather not argue with you about them.

Ok, thanks for the confirmation on that, I guess it was worth a shot. Also, not all personal characters have the same general overpowered narcsstic or whatever element on them. I try to make Samrah as humble and obedient as he should be. The only powers he's got are his pretty face and sharp toys. But anyway that's all, thanks for the chat.

Ok, ok. I finally understood what the heck is a Grimoire book. I didn't think of this before because I'm the most dumb idiot around, heck you even suggested it. Turns out... "I guess I could be a human for my first role play... geez, as long as there are women I don't mind...". Alright then, are there any examples of Grimoire books that would fit this perverted bastard? Something like a charm, an enchanter power, something like mind control or minion related?

I'm afraid to say, that's up to you. Go do a hunt. My suggestion is this: Look for books on the specific magic, then find names, google names, they tend to lead backwards in time. I would start my search with Aradia, seeing as that is a book of witches, focused on winning love ect. mind you only females can use that book.

GAAHH!!! I hate research! I searched for the list, I saw the list, looked at names, picked some and searched some, I still don't understand, and finally came up with the MOST simple and self explanatory Grimoire, 'Kryanides' It HAS to be capable of controling stuff like plants and animals, I mean, it's the only book with a definition I can understand... damn it, props to you peeple who actually researches this stuff. Fine, is this good?

if we could be fullblown Necromancers I'd whip out my Jiangshi army and giant Gashadokuro. East Asian Necromancy is a fun thing.

Thinking of an Elemental mage for now. The classic Undine-Sylpheed-Gnome-Salamander.

Or even better, I could use the idea in the first line as an extension of the Grimoire the Hyakki Yagyo.

One book per person right?

if we could be fullblown Necromancers I'd whip out my Jiangshi army and giant Gashadokuro. East Asian Necromancy is a fun thing.

Thinking of an Elemental mage for now. The classic Undine-Sylpheed-Gnome-Salamander.

Or even better, I could use the idea in the first line as an extension of the Grimoire the Hyakki Yagyo.

One book per person right?

Kimi wa kimochi warui

I think we should make a list of who has which book so no one can claim one already taken

Name: Samrah Sylvester
Appearance: As the profile pic depicts. Handsome, greedy green eyes and a slender well toned body.
History Before Being picked up: A model that has been in monthly magazines stage named 'Elvish Radiance'. A typical rich guy that loves women, although kind enough to create his own company to support the jobless "I did no such thing! (Smack!)" even though he denies it. He has no more parents, he does have a lover, although she sees him as a best FRIEND "Friend zoned! Uwaah! I'll get her soon!".
Source of Knowledge about mythology: Certain books that have been read, internet, anime and some novels including stories from friends.
Personality: An absolute woman lover, a chicboy, pervert and a- "STOP!! It's all bad! I am obedient, I can be submissive to my superiors, especially women!" Right... women...

Grimoire/Goetia

Name: Kryanides

Common Name: Booky

Appearance: It should look like a brown, thick book with feral and floral designs and multiple gemstones in the middle.

Description: A compilation of magico-medical works in Greek first put together in the 4th century. The resulting compilation covers the magical properties and practical uses of gemstones, plants, and animals, and is a virtual encyclopedia of amulets, it also contains material pertinent to the history of western alchemy. He carries it in his hand as one would typically hold a book.

Weak Powers: (These are the powers that the character may invoke without activating the cost, You may have up to 5 some examples are listed below)
  • He can control any sort of plant and change it's minor properties, can only lift up to 5 tons.
  • To create a plant life only as big as a tree.
  • Has the ability to control fifteen insects/ five tiny rodent sized animals/ three dog sized animals/ two human sized animals/ one big animal.
  • Can detect any life within a 500 meter radius.
  • Can decay just about anything organic.
Curse: Slowly withers the user's body and eventually turn into ash if used too much. Can be revoked once the goddess Demeter shown mercy. If she at all exist.
Major Powers:

* Enhanced control over properties of plants and animals, can control plant as heavy as 15,000 tons.
* Can create a whole forest of customized or default plants and move at its will.
* Has the ability to control an army of animals, a jungle of madness.
* Can detect life within 10 miles radius.
* Can decay anything organic.
* Can create new species of plants and animals.
* Can create golems made either of plants, gemstones, stones or mismatched animals.
* Can combine plant, animals and gemstones to create a massive powerful monster demon.
* The most powerful of it all, to grow a massive tree that will bear a massive bomb at least half as powerful as a nuclear (will imedietely wither the user and what's most precious to him or her.

I was wondering can I claim the necronomicon
It says in the 'NoGo' section that any modern grimoires are not allowed though. I had to dig the internet to find one... it was pretty hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.