A Sword Of A Thief

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sail

Weaver of Threads
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Multiple posts per day
  3. 1-3 posts per day
  4. One post per day
  5. 1-3 posts per week
  6. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Elementary
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Advanced
  5. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Scifi, Magical
Kadva took a deep breath in, relishing the cool morning air. He'd always clear his mind in this way, before he'd break into anything, almost ritualistically. "Kadva, you can't just stand here all day. You've gotta be in and out within the next hour...and that's not much time if you stay here." He thought to himself.

Before him stood a large keep, complete with metal-topped spires and stained glass windows, portraying a God-like figure using all forms of Quoram at once. They were incredibly pieces of art honoring the great Ruler Of The Earth, a man that seemed to be completely immortal.

Kadva slowly stepped ahead, crossing the cobbled street. With great pleasure, he continued to relish in the cold morning air, brisk against his face. Finally, he finished his crossing, and landed upon the steps of the keep. He knew that the guards would likely be in their chambers sleeping at this time, from his weeks spent watching the keep for all signs of movement. He knew the guard changing schedules, and knew the times the keep would be left unguarded.

Sliding his knife into the lock, he twisted back in forth until the lock clicked, and the large wooden door swung open. With speed, he dashed into the keep, straight for the treasury room. Soon enough, he arrived there, and busted down the door. "So far...so good..."

At great speed, Kadva stole as much as he could fit into a small leather pouch, quickly filling it with jewels, gold, and more. After he finished, he strode out the front door of the keep, and began to laugh as he saw that he once again stole from a rich keep...

Ali strolled through the nearly empty streets. A few store owners and merchants trudging about as they set up for the day. She gave a wave to some of them, having done a lot of business of sorts with them. She sicker in the cool morning air, letting it fill her lungs before releasing it.

It was a lovely morning so far she had just taken her sister to the training groundsx which doubled as a school yard for the younger children. For now she knew her sister was safe and would leave most if her day open to find some work She easily could've gotten a job, but if she needed to be home at any given moment she couldn't have that luxury. And she was okay with that.

She had her sword on her back, her hands resting behind her head as she began to him a little tune, keeping an eye for a signs of anyone needing help. So far, nothing, but she had plenty ground to cover, she wasn't all that worried. It was then that she paused at an intersecting road, that she saw him. Kadva.

She could tell by the pleased look on his face that he had probably robbed some place. Again. Ali gave a Shae of her head before crossing to meet him, clearing her throat to gain his attention.

"You know, one of these days you're gonna get caught," she said in a hushed tone so no one could hear except for him, a playful smirk painted on her face.

Jumping for a moment, Kadva turned around with a smirk and softly said, "Yeah, and you are gonna get slapped one day for sneaking up on me. Don't you have places to be, stuff to do. You know, swinging that sword at other people, protecting your siblings and all?"

Kadva paused for a moment, then opened up the leather bag, showing her the inside. "I got a pretty good hall. Can't wait to see what the rumors are like from this one. If they are anything like last time, I'll be laughing myself to my grave."

Ali rolled her eyes, hearing the somewhat teasing tone in his voice. She didn't mind Kadva, he wasn't too bad of a person. She was just annoyed with him and his thieving, even if he had good enough reasons for it. And the fact he could use the Quoram, something she longed for but would never have.

"I wouldn't have to sneak up on you if you'd do something else, like a job. And my siblings are just fine thank you," she murmured, folding her arms over her chest.

As he opened the bag, curiosity took hold and she had to take a peek inside. What he had there could have the three of them fed and we'll clothed for quite some time. "What on earth do you do with that money anyways?"

"Well, I sell it to a couple of merchants, who I've conned to think I'm a jeweler. Then, I take the money, give a quarter to both my mother and father, and then keep the rest for myself. Sometimes I'll give it to the less fortunate. You know, you are less fortunate, are you not? I can give you a bit of this to keep you silent about this whole thing. Probably last you the next few weeks." Kadva said with a smirk.

Kadva took out a few pieces of gold and three jeweled necklaces, and held them out for her. Truth be told, Kadva liked Ali, but he had to keep up the facade that he was simply a thief...

"Ah, so you actually do something nice without always causing trouble. What a relief," Ali replied with a smirk, which quickly vanished at his offer. She knew they didn't have much, but she didn't watch anyone to think they needed handouts. And especially not from him.

She stared at what he held out to her, and God was it tempting to take! But she grit her teeth and forced a small smile on her face. "Thanks, but we're fine. I'd rather work for what we have. Besides, shutting me up with bribes isn't going to work. I haven't said anything yet, I just worry for the day this catches up to you and what it'll do to your parents."

Ali shrugged, bringing her hands up behind her head once again, one eye closed and the other peering over at him. This wasn't the first time he offered her something, and she had refused then, so it always left her wondering why he kept doing so.

"It seems you always say the same thing every single time that I offer you something. Well, I'll see ya around. Gotta go give this to the parents." Kadva said, pausing to look around. He saw the guards returning to their posts, "Yeah...bye!" Kadva said as he dashed away.

"I can't be caught! Not now! As long as the guards didn't see the bag, I'll be alright." Kadva thought as he rounded the alleyways, toying with the thought at various levels. Eventually, he made his way home. He pushed open the small wooden door, creaking like always. His breath caught in his chest as he saw what lay before him..

Over turned chairs. Destroyed shelving. Kadva cursed to himself as he continued to walk through the small house. A thin piece of paper was attached to one of the overturned chairs...

"To Kadva Hale,

In response to recent thefts, we have captured a few random families to exact our revenge on the populace. No one crosses the Seigen. Nobody. If you wish to have your family back, then trade in your freedom in exchange for theirs. Meet at the Temple of Sa, and there we will make the trade. Bring no one with you. You have three days."

Opening her mouth to respond, her words were cut short when he quickly said goodbye and dashed away from her. Looking around, she took note of the guards and figured that was why he booked it.

She gave a friendly wave and smile and hurried herself back to the stores and merchants. It was still early enough even after encountering Kadva she should still have some time to get something worthwhile. Maybe this time she should've accepted his offer...

A few hours had passed, and Ali had no luck that day. Disappointed, she headed home knowing Odelia would be there shortly, and then Adrian would be home as well usually in time for dinner.

Entering her house though, something felt off but not a thing was out of place. It was a dark feeling that took hold of her stomach and twisted it. What could it be? Maybe se was just hungry, she hadn't eaten much the past few days. "Oh well," she said to herself settling down into her lumpy bed and pulled the blanket over herself.

She'd sleep until Odelia got home.

As Kadva read the note, he felt his heart sink into his stomach. This wasn't supposed to happen. He was supposed to be able to protect his family, to provide for them. But he couldn't, not now. The Seigen would likely kill them before the two days, then kill Kadva as well. Suddenly, Kadva felt a well of energy deep inside of himself. Quoram.

If he could pull it off, he'd likely be out crying for the next few hours. But, it was his only chance. He had to use his powers. Kadva focused on the well, then pulled it forth, allowing it to spring around him. He tightly gripped the note, then used the power to fuel his words,"In eternity they rest, now bring them forth. The Beyond I Open, Divine This Heart!"

The note was consumed in a blast of blue energy. For a moment, the air seemed to be sucked from Kadva's lungs. He felt the memories wanting to slam into him now, but he had to hold off until he found the information he sought. Then, the blue energy formed itself into a shape of a human, and began to speak. "The note lies not. You have three days, and then they will kill them. For now, they are tied and being tortured. Saving them will only hurt them, as they will forever see you as a person who never protected them. They shall never sleep, and will die soon after you save them.."

The spirit faded away into a whisp, leaving him to his own thoughts. He saw the memories, felt the pain freshly.

Alieria woke a ltitle later, but already she knew something was wrong. Odelia was supposed to be home by now waking her up. She knew the sun was sinking, and the house was dark and empty.

She ran out the front door, barely noticing the piece of paper pinned to it. She stopped to rip it off and stared down at the words scrawled across the parchment.

It was quite similar as the one Kadva received, except the personal touches of them knowing she had left his theft go on without speaking up, so she was deemed as guilty and would have her family suffer for it. Her heart began to race, the sound of blood rushing in her ears blocked out any others.

Dropping the note, she turned herself towards Kadva's place, or what she thought as she had only ever been there once in her time of knowing him. She ran as fast as she could, tears springing to her eyes before she found the only darkened house with its door still wide open.

Rushing in, she saw the boy, but made little note of how he looked. "This is all your fault! " Ali yelled, her body shaking from fear as it began to set in. She was too scared and angry to make any rational decisions at this moment.

Kadva continued to cry, racked by the memories that followed any use of magic. Then, Ali came through the door, shouting, "It's all your fault!" And he instantly realized that he had made a grave mistake. All of his thievery, his criminal ventures and the like. "It's not all my fault! My family has been taken by the Seigen! What's freaking wrong with you! You sad because your little sissy got a boo-boo on her knee!" Kadva's emotions began to run wildly, he couldn't control them...

The whips cracked through the air, four falling in unison, two onto Kadva's parents, the other onto Ali's siblings. "You four are worthless, as are your children and siblings!" They continued to fall, cracking, tearing into their backs, and repeating the cycle of slander and of pain...

Clenching her fists, Ali rushed to him, grabbing the front of his shirt and lowering herself so they were face to face. She went to say more, but saw the pain and tears on his face. Releasing him, and hearing him speak of his parents being taken, she let the tears fall now.

"My brother and sister were taken, too. Because I never turned you in," she sobbed, her shaking hands falling into her lap. "I have to save them, Kadva... she's just a little girl!"

Kadva struggled to regain his breath, then as he regained it, he said, "I...I know. We'll go together...I have magic, you have the sword....we can save them...but we might die in the process. But I promise, I won't let your siblings die." Kadva said, tears staining his cheeks.

"Her...her siblings were taken because of me! I have hurt too many people. I sword I'd only hurt myself, but now four others are hurting because of me!"

Looking up to Kadva, she wiped at her face. "How? The note said... I had to go alone or else." Ali sniffed, trying to regain some of her composure.

She sighed, biting her bottom lip. She still blamed him, but she HD herself to blame too. She could've said something, or stopped seeking him out to spend even just a little time to talk to him. But the real blame lay on the greedy bastards!

"I need to go back home and get my things," she whispered, feeling exposed without her sword. She had been too scared and in a hurry she left it behind. "Do... do you want to come with me, and we can figure something out there?"

"Lemme get a few of my things, and then yeah, I'll come with you. Just stay here. I'll explain things when I get back." Kadva said with a slight smile, tears still staining his cheeks.

Kadva quickly ran to his room, and grabbed his leather satchel off of his bedroom wall. Tossing in a few pairs of clothes, two extra knives, and a flask, he completed his preparations. He pulled the torches off of the walls, and blew out the flames. "Goodbye my room. I may never see you again."

Walking back into the room he left Ali, he calmly said, "Let's get to your house. We've got three days to save our families."

Ali remained, still knelt on the ground. It took everything in her to pull herself up, and even then a wave of naseua hit her, and she felt like throwing up. She didn't want to imagine what her brother and sister were going through, but the images flooded her head anyways.

When Kadva returned she forced herself to move again, almost seeming like everything had drained out of her. And in a sense it had. Without her siblings, she was nothing. Adrian helped raise her and in return she had done the same with Odelia. If she lost them... well she didn't want to think about it.

It didn't take long before they came to her home, the door still swinging on its hinges. Pushing it open as it whined at her request she stepped into the darkness. She didn't need a torch to know where her things were, ad there was still enough fading light to see.

Grabbing a leather pack she shoved some extra clothes in it, a small notebook and writing utensils. From there she grabbed a canteen and rifled through their food. She had some dree fruits and meats, it wasn't much but they'd get them through a da at least, two if they were sparing.

Finally she turned to Kadva and grabbed the sheath that hung by the front doorx hefting it over her back and buckling the strap in place. "Let's go."

Looking to Ali, Kadva readjusted his pack, "Agreed, let's go. We've got three days to do this. It'll take at least a day to get to the temple, and then it'll take a little while to fight our way through."

Kadva stepped outside, and walked a few feet down the street, waiting for Ali. The sun was setting in the distance, casting beautiful shadows, painting the sky with hues of blue, purple, and red. One on of the most beautiful sunsets, on one of the darkest days in his life. "The Universe does seem to have a sense of humor..." Kadva thought to himself.

Three days. .. she thought, a heaviness closing in around her. It left little time for error, and hopefully they didn't run into too much trouble on the way to the temple. They'd be too late if they did.

Her stomach twisted, and Ali cast her eyes skyward, watching the sky painted in various colors as the sun descended to the horizon. Any other day she'd be taken away by such a lovely sight, but not now. It was too cruel. After following Kadva for a time, Ali let out a soft sigh.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you earlier. Thus isn't entirely your fault, it's just as much of mine. Maybe.. maybe if I had stopped you then none of this would've happened. I'm sorry." She looked to him now, and it just made her miserable to see him in such pain. Even if she couldn't really stand him, and was now forced to work with him, she knew how he must be feeling.

"And maybe if I would've been more careful with me stealing, or never stealing at all, things wouldn't be like this. But of course, if you'd stopped me, I'd likely be dead now. So, in a way, this is quite a bad deal either way." Kadva said as he continued to walk.

Kadva wished he could use his Quoram to just reverse all of this, but then he'd likely die from the sadness. And so, he continued to deeply breathe, listening close to the nighttime sounds of the various animals.

Ali lifted a hand to reach out to him, to try to bring him some comfort, but she stopped herself and let her hand fall back at her side. "Maybe," she muttered, her head hanginf, but her eyes darting here and there. Even though they were still within their city limits, she didn't feel she could trust anyone now at this time.

She listened to everything, hearing him breathing, their hurried steps, the animals. Her fingers twitched ready to spring into action if needed. Needing to get her mind off the turmoil for a moment, she spoke up once more. "How.... how does it feel to use Quoram? My family never told me much, they knew it upset me because I wasn't born with the ability to possess it."

Status
Not open for further replies.