A Doll's Destiny

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"Let me see," she commented as she went into his email to see if he had gotten any responses yet. "No, I don't see anything yet. But that happens. It usually takes at least a week for them to go through things. I mean, there are usually a lot of applications to go through so this is pretty standard and doesn't so you whether you've gotten closer or not." She didn't want him to be discouraged yet because this was pretty usual. It took time to process people's applications so almost no one would respond to someone in only a few days.

"Oh, I see. Oh well," Aiden replied.

She could tell he wasn't too excited about that response, but that was just the way things were. "Hey, don't get down about it. It happens. I didn't hear back for this job for like two weeks. Sometimes it takes time especially if it's a bigger place and some of the places you applied for are. Just give it some time and don't think about it constantly. It'll be agonizing while waiting if you constantly think about it. If you don't, then next thing you know you'll get a response."

Aiden nodded. "That's fine. If nothing happens this week, I'll just move on."

"You have to give it time," Clara replied. She had a feeling he was too anxious about it and that was going to cause him to constantly think about it. "If you are concerned then just continue to apply for more, but most places at least take two weeks to get back to you even for an interview. So, don't get discouraged. And remember to check your email often because you never know when they might send something to you. You should also check on any phone calls as well."

"I'll keep that mind. Guess I'm just a little antsy," Aiden admitted. "I heard it's very competitive out there."

"It's understandable. Everyone gets that way when they are waiting to hear back on a job," Clara replied. "But it tends to always be competitive. So, you just have to take each day as it comes and continue to apply. There is no harm in applying to more while you are waiting for others to respond. Honestly, that's the best way to guarantee you'll get something eventually."

"If nothing happens by next week, I'll start applying again," Aiden said.

"Okay," Clara replied. In the end, it was up to him on what he wanted to do. She wasn't going to push him to do anything. She just wanted to help him out in some way and make sure he wasn't constantly worried about it. "I'm sure you'll get something in time. Someone will take a chance on you. Heck, you might even get a call tomorrow for all we know."

"True, guess we'll just have to wait and see," Aiden said.

Clara nodded. At that time, a few customers arrived in the store and Clara became occupied with helping them. She assisted them in finding the books they wanted and get them all checked out. They paused momentarily to say hello to Aiden, it seemed they had already heard of him and possibly had already seen him around town, and then left. Clara smiled at the interaction. It seemed the people were genuinely warming up to him.

"Hey, everybody," Aiden greeted the group warmly. He was more than glad the townsfolk were becoming accepting of him. It gave him great hope for the new future. When they left, all the doll could manage was a light laugh.

"It seems you are getting to be a regular thing for people around here," Clara replied. "Which is good. Does it make you happy?" She had heard his laugh so she thought that it did, but she couldn't be too sure. Though, she was pretty confident in the idea that it was at least not bad to have people treating him like that. As she spoke with him she was also updating the stores website as she tended to do to keep people informed of the types of books they had.

"Oh, yes," Aiden said. "I'm really starting to feel more comfortable now."

"That's good. I'm glad you are starting to feel that way. I would hate for you to feel uncomfortable or unwelcome around here. This is your home now too and I want you to feel like it is," Clara replied. She knew that it wouldn't always be perfect. There was most likely going to be someone who didn't like him around, but that could be said for another person as well. There was probably someone in town who wasn't fond of her. Sometimes people just clashed.

Aiden nodded. "I already felt at home when you took me in, but this really makes me feel at home."

Clara felt happy that he already felt like it was home to him. She was trying everything she could to give him a place that felt like home and it seemed that she was achieving it. "Well, I'm glad you feel that way," she commented. "And don't be afraid to ask for things that make it feel even more like home. Like once we get that room ready for you, don't be afraid to personalize it with things you like, okay?"

Aiden nodded once more. "For now, the bed and bike are fine, but I wouldn't mind getting me a new wardrobe sometime."

Clara nodded when she heard his request. "We can definitely get you some new clothes. It'll probably be over time, but it'll happen. I mean, you now have a new coat. So, you'll be able to add more to your collection in time," she responded. She could understand wanting to have some other clothes. She would get tired of wearing the same thing over again as well. Though, it was going to have to take time as it did for most people.

"Next thing you know, I'll end up like one of those fashion dolls," Aiden laughed.