A Doll's Destiny

"With the coat, it'll keep you safe from that though especially with having the hood and when you are done wearing it you hang it up for it to dry," Clara replied. That was what everyone did when they were out in the snow. "Well, we'll see what happens when the time comes. For now, you'll be using it for the rain. So, I hope you are happy with it. It looks nice."

"Thanks, and yeah, I'm very ahppy," Aiden grinned. "Anyhow...not sure where to go next. I feel like I've been everywhere already."

"Well, that eventually happens when it's a smaller town and you can't get around to places farther out," Clara replied. "You'll have to wait until you can get around more or until the weekend for you to be able to go to other places you haven't been to yet. You are free to do whatever you want now though. Or you can make sure those books are in alphabetical order if you want to help me out. Sometimes people will pick a book but they decide not to get it so they put it back but they end up putting it back in the wrong place."

"I think I'll help you," Aiden decided, climbing off the chair and heading to one of the bookcases. Starting on the bottom shelf, he began organizing the books by their authors' last names.

"Thank you. I really appreciate it," Clara replied. Sometimes you didn't know which shelves were messed up so it was a long process of checking each one to make sure they were in the proper order. She picked another shelf and began to go through them as well. "This just makes it a lot easier for me to find a book that someone might be looking for. If it's not in the right place, then I'll have a hard time trying to find it."

"Makes sense," finished with the bottom shelf, Aiden moved one more and organized those books. "Still, it amazes me the some people can't follow simple instructions."

"Most do, but honestly there are some that just don't feel like it or they just don't pay attention to the fact that the books are on the shelf in a certain order," Clara replied as she continued to work on her section of shelf as well. She finished it and went on to working on another shelf. She knew he wouldn't be able to do any of the shelves higher up though so she would have to get to them later when he had moved to another one and was out of the way.

"Touche," he laughed, before moving to the next bookcase and resuming his job.

"It isn't too bad really because it isn't like I do it everyday. I just do it every couple of days because chances are that there aren't that many that are in the wrong place," Clara replied. She never saw the point in doing it every single day because that would mean there would be only a few books out of place mixed in with all of them and it was a bookstore, so there were a lot of shelves to do through. She didn't want to be doing this specific part of the job all day.

"Yeah, plus some people are careful," Aiden replied, moving to the final bookcase. "I'm just glad I get to help."

Clara nodded as she continued to work on the higher sections of the shelves that Aiden couldn't reach. "I'm glad to have your help too. It would be nice if there was someone else working here with me sometimes, but I don't think the owner can afford that. After all, it's obvious that we don't get a ton of customers here. We get enough, but it isn't really busy to hire a lot of people. It would be fun if you could even work here, but she's not looking for anyone."

"So, what happens to this place if you decide to move on?" Aiden inquired with a tilt of his head.

"Well, if I decided to then I would let the owner know and she would start looking for someone else to take over. And I would most likely help her," Clara replied. "But I'm not really sure I would. Yeah, there's a part of me that wants to own my own bookstore at some point but then I would be competing against this one and I really wouldn't want to do that. I like this one here. It's nice."

"It is. I just hope nothing ever happens that would cause you to lose your job here," Aiden said.

"I don't see how I would," Clara replied. "Unless I just didn't show up or burned the place down or something like that. I've been working here for a while and I really enjoy it. I care about this place, so I'm going to be careful with what I do. If I properly do my job, then I should be fine." She continued to work on the shelves until they were all finished.

"That's a good way to look at it," Aiden said, looking around to see if anything else needed tightying up.

"For most people and most places as long as you do your job well, you'll be fine," Clara replied. There were certain exceptions like if the place was having trouble and fired people just because they couldn't afford them, but most of the time you had to do something that prompted them to fire you. She went back to the counter and waited for some customers.

"I see," said Aiden.
Once he was sure the store was as clean as could be, he returned to his chair. "Clara, could you please check and see if any of the stuff I ordered has shipped yet?"

"Sure thing," Clara replied. She went onto her computer and took a look at the tracking of the items they ordered. "It looks like they will actually be here tomorrow. So, we should expect to get some packages tomorrow." She was sure he would be excited about that. He clearly wanted them to arrive already since he was bringing them up each day.

"Awesome," Aiden grinned, then frowned. "Could you also see if anyone's responded to my job applications?"