A Doll's Destiny

"Well, sometimes there are raincoats made for dolls but I don't actually know if they are made out of the real material. But we might be able to work something out and tweak something ourselves or make something ourselves," Clara replied. She looked over him, trying to think if there was anything they already had that might work. Maybe they could make some sort of poncho from something they already had. "I at least have an old umbrella that's pretty small that you can probably use."

"Yeah, the umbrella will be a good start, and I think I might be able to find a coat my size. I just have to look in the baby section, because, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I'm about the size of a baby," Aiden replied.

Clara thought about it after he mentioned it. "That's true. We might be able to find a toddler raincoat that you could fit. They have raincoats for them after all and you do seem like you match their size," she commented back. "You'd have to take a look at a clothing store and try some on. I know you don't like taking money from me, but I'll gladly give you some if you want to look for a raincoat today. That's something that really important to keep you safe."

After a moment of thought, the doll sighed and nodded. "Well...alright. I just hope no one steels from me."

"Anyone has the potential to have something stolen, but that's no reason not to ever get anything," Clara replied. Once she had everything ready, she went into her purse and pulled out some money she thought would be more than enough for him to be able to pay for a raincoat. She handed it to him. "This should work. Just keep it hidden away and close to you."

"Thanks," Aiden accepted the money and, after folding it into a compatc square, placed it under his arm. "Might even get myself a wallet while I'm at it."

"That does help with keeping money safe," Clara replied. She then went off and got him an umbrella he could use before he had a coat to protect him. She then gave the umbrella to him. "Try using this if you need to before you end up getting a raincoat. Sometimes you can't always find what you want at the first store you go to and have to go to another one. But I just want you to have something in case it starts to rain heavily."

"Thanks, lovely," gently taking the umbrella by its handle, Aiden pressed the button. It popped open and closed when he pushed the button again. "And, yeah, I'll keep that in mind."

"You're welcome," Clara replied. She waited to make sure he understood how to use it and that he could handle it just fine. It appeared that he was good so she gave him a smile. "Alright. Now that we got all of that taken care of. Are you ready to get going? I figure you'll be walking with me to the store today, right?"

"Yeah," I'm ready," Aiden reopened the umbrella and moved to stand beside the front door.

"Okay," she replied. She opened up the door and walked through. She waited for him so she could lock the door. Once finished with that, she headed down the steps and to the sidewalk so they could walk their usual route to the bookstore. It didn't take long to get there as usual especially when the walk was so routine. She went inside and started to set things up for customers.

"Okay, heading to the store to get myself a coat. Be right back," Aiden said to Clara, before exiting the book store and heading down the sidewalk. The rain thankfully stopped, and Aiden was able to get the small clothing shop, which was two doors down.
He entered through the automatic doors and surveyed the shop's and and eventually spotted the coats in the back. Ignoring the looks from customers, Aiden moved in that direction. There was an array of sizes, from child to adult, yet none seemed they'd fit. Refusing to give up, the doll continued his search, eventually spotting a small section of coats for babies. Grinning, he chose a dark blue one with a fur hod.
"Excuse me," he caught the attention of a middle-aged, blonde woman. "Could you get this for me, please?"
She glanced wearily down at him, up at the coat, then pulled it off the hanger and handed it to him, before continuing her own shopping, shaking her head.
"Thank you," Aiden called her. Pulling the coat close, the doll walked up the register. The cashier gave him an odd look, but he did the transaction. Aiden paid for it and put it on immediately afterword. It was slightly loose, but it was far better than nothing. Tucking the umbrella under an arm, Aiden exited the shop and returned to the book store.
"Hey," Aiden greeted, climbing into a chair with a sigh. "Got my coat."

Clara was busy getting the shop ready as she usually did. She placed her books on the shelves to replace the old ones, then switch the sign to show that they were open. She found her spot behind the register and began to wait like she normally did. While Aiden was away she had a few customers come in but for a most part it was peaceful and quiet. And she was glad to see that it wasn't raining while Aiden was out there. When he returned, she welcomed him back. "That's good," she replied. "Can I see it?" She was glad he was able to find one fairly quickly.

"I'm wearing it," Aiden laughed, sitting up and opening his arms. "It's a bit loose, but that makes sense, considering I don't have a human's body, but I love it."

Clara took a lot at the coat as he had it on. "Yeah, I'm not surprised. It would have been more surprised if you had found one that was perfect," she admitted. "But it looks good. And frankly, sometimes when they get washed they shrink a little so it might end up being fine later on. But I think you picked a good one. It suits you."

"Thanks, and I think it's more of a winter coat than a raincoat. Note the furry hood," he finished with a light laugh, briefly pulling said hood over his head.

"That's true. Most of the time coats with the fur around the hood would be considered a winter coat, but that's good. Then you'll have a coat when it gets cold as well. So, it's good to get something that has more than one use," Clara commented. Honestly, she wasn't aware if he even got cold, but it might be good for when there was snow around also. He could use the hood to keep him safe from the rain or snow.

"Yeah...and I think thing's a double liner," Aiden said. "I think it'll do well in keeping me dry."

Clara nodded in agreement. "Yeah, the extra protection will definitely help especially on those really raining days or if it's snowing heavily. Snow will get anywhere," she commented. She could remember wondering how certain clothes had gotten wet in the past when she had to clean off the sidewalk of the snow. She wasn't sure if he'd want to experience the snow, but if he had the coat he at least would be prepared in case it wanted to when the time came.

"Yeah, but I'm not sure I'd want in my fur. I mean, I know it's just frozen water, but still...I'll probably look as if I drowned," the doll laughed.