A Doll's Destiny

Clara nodded. She continued to eat her meal and then she was finished up, she made sure the sign was turned to open again so any customers could come in. She returned back to her seat behind the counter and waited for someone to visit. When she was free and had no one in the shop, she usually spent the time entertaining herself with books or her laptop, but since she let Aiden had the laptop she was reading instead.

Aiden continued browsing Youtube, now watching a video on cooking sweet potatoes.

Another customer arrived and started to look through the shelves. He glanced over at Aiden, curious about the doll, but didn't seem like one who wanted to really bother other people. He eventually found the book he wanted and headed for Clara. He bought his book, but paused before he left. "Is that the doll I've been hearing about?" he asked.

"Yeah," Clara replied. "You can go meet him if you want. He's very friendly."

"I don't want to bother him," he said back. "He looks like he's focused on what he's doing. Maybe another time." The man then headed for the door, but he did pause to give Aiden an acknowledgement, nodding his head towards the doll with a small smile.

Aiden returned the nod and smile. He could understand the man's intentions.

Clara waited until the man had left. "It seems that the rumors about you are really going around. There's a lot ore people who have already heard of you now," she commented. "Which honestly might make things easier. We're a smaller town, so if everyone eventually had heard of you, it's going to be easier for you to just do whatever you want." She knew that there was still a chance of an outsider bothering him, but the townspeople themselves being comfortable with him would be a good position to be in.

"The one benefit of being in such a small community is that people know people," Aiden replied with a smile.

Clara nodded. "Yeah, it makes the word travel a lot faster too," she replied. It hadn't been that long since Aiden had been walking around the town and hanging out in the store, which meant that the rumors about him were spreading quickly. Of course, that was expected with something like the idea of a doll that is alive. Though, she wondered if perhaps there could be other dolls like him somewhere in the world. "Do you think you're the only one like yourself or that there could be another doll somewhere out there that is alive too?"

"Well, you know how the toys in Toy Story come alive when people aren't around? I used to do that, but like I said, I wanted more, but I'm not sure if others have followed me," Aiden replied.

Clara nodded. "So, you don't know if there is any other toy like you. Or at least, you've never met one yet even if there was," she commented. She wondered if there really were, but it wouldn't be easy to find out. She didn't want to bring attention to them if they were just like Aiden and didn't want the attention. But she was curious and wondered if it would be nice for Aiden to know that there were others like him.

"No, not that I know of," he simply said.

Clara let out a sigh when she heard his response, but she should have figured. It was clear this wasn't actually a common thing like in that movie. Still is wasn't completely impossible. If there was him, there could potentially be another out there somewhere. "Well, you never know, there could be another one like you. So, you might not actually be the only one. But we probably won't really know that especially with wanting to just keep it private."

"True, very true. It'd be very nice to meet another one like me, but I'm fine with how things are now."

Clara nodded. "I'd be hard to find out if there was another like you, so it's good that you are fine with how things are right now," she replied. She gave him another smile. "I just don't want you to feel lonely or anything. I know I'm not a doll, but know that you'll always have me around. I'll always be your friend."

Aiden chuckled, eyes brimming with unshed tears. "Thank you so much, dear."
Climbing off the chair, he walked to her and held up his arms for a hug.

Clara didn't expect just a reaction, but it was nice that he was so happy about her comment. She watched as he walked over to her and held out his arms. By now, she knew that was his way of asking for a hug. She bent down to his level and wrapped her arms around him to hug in. A few moments later she broke away. "You don't have to thank me for that, you know," she commented back. "It's just a part of being a friend."

"I know, but I wanted to. You've been so great with me this whole time," Aiden said, returning to his seat.

"It's only right. I don't think there's any way I could not be how I am to you especially after I'm the one who bought you in the first place," Clara replied. She would never be able to abandon him after learning that he was living. He had his own feelings and that would never sit right with her. She gave him a smile. "I admit that it was weird at first, but you're just becoming part of my life now."

"I'm sure it was, but I'm glad you're fine with me now," Aiden smiled.

Clara smiled in return. "Well, once I knew you really were not dangerous, it makes it pretty easy to get comfortable with you. You're a nice person...well, I guess you aren't technically a person, nice doll. As long as people see that then others will be fine with you too. We're already seeing that." They had already experienced some people who were genuinely nice to him and that kid seemed really excited.

(OOC: We've officially hit 1,000 posts!)
"I identify myself as a person, but thanks," Aiden replied.

Reactions: ScarletNova